JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Closed Thread
Old 10th May 2012, 02:01 PM   #2041
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ozeco41 View Post
Originally Posted by tfk
Aside 2.
I noticed one other thing that caught my eye, Tony. David Chandler now cites YOU as the engineer who opened his eyes to the fact that the columns will NOT contact each other end to end during the crush down of the towers....
I wasn't aware of that - how did I miss it?

"That's one small step for man; one giant leap for..." this little corner of 9/11 discussion.

A nice little gem of significant info -- thanks tfk.
Is there a source for that?
Oystein is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th May 2012, 06:52 PM   #2042
A W Smith
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
http://forums.randi.org/showpost.php...postcount=1198
Galileo:The jury said I didn't have any mental defects or diseases, they declared me 100% sane. Has a jury ever declared you sane?
Don’t get me lol’n off my chesterfield dude.
A W Smith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th May 2012, 07:05 PM   #2043
tfk
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post

It was about 2/3rds the way thru one of Chandler's latest videos. He broke his latest silly assertions up into 2 groups. The first 2/3rds of the video was his own work.

About 2/3rds the way thru, he starts down another failed path of illogic, based upon a point that "engineer Tony Szamboti pointed out to him, that the columns would not contact end to end, but would slide by each other". [paraphrase].

If Tony were an honest person, he'd point out immediately in which video that appears. The probability that he doesn't know is indistinguishable from zero.

I'll see if I can find it.

Meanwhile, we can all ask Tony when he had a change of heart.

He'll answer with complete honesty & candor, of course...
tfk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th May 2012, 07:47 PM   #2044
ozeco41
Philosopher

Originally Posted by tfk View Post
It was about 2/3rds the way thru one of Chandler's latest videos. He broke his latest silly assertions up into 2 groups. The first 2/3rds of the video was his own work.

About 2/3rds the way thru, he starts down another failed path of illogic, based upon a point that "engineer Tony Szamboti pointed out to him, that the columns would not contact end to end, but would slide by each other". [paraphrase]...
Which raises two points of interest:
1) What price now for "Missing Jolt" - how unthinking of D Chandler to pull the plug on one of the implicit premises of MJ; AND
2) No acknowledgement of those of us who had been making that point for several years.

I had been making the point persistently since early 2008 that columns must have been bypassing. Others no doubt longer than me - I was a relative late comer to WTC collapse explaining. But the truther who changes sides late in the game only recognises another truther who changed sides nearly as late in the game.

Now I do wonder where either of them really got that St Paul heading for Damascus revelation. I mean it must be one of the first things that anyone would work out if they looked at a collapse video AND thought for a couple of minutes.

Clues:
A) The top block was falling; AND
B) The perimeter columns fell away unbuckled AND the few core columns clearly observable in the "spires' were also unbuckled.

ozeco41 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th May 2012, 11:25 PM   #2045
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by tfk View Post
It was about 2/3rds the way thru one of Chandler's latest videos. ...

I'll see if I can find it.
That'd be great
Oystein is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th May 2012, 04:50 AM   #2046
Animal
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Tony Szamboti View Post
I said that when the actual geometry of the fall of the upper section of the North Tower is analyzed it shows that the columns of the lower and upper sections would contact each other within their cross section, as the first several stories of the fall do not produce enough offset. What didn't you understand about that?

It seems to me that those advocating that the columns all missed each other are simply making an assertion without an analytical basis.
<sigh> Hitting in their "cross section" is a far different animal than hitting square.
Animal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th May 2012, 05:25 AM   #2047
GlennB
Cereal pedant

I said that when the actual geometry of the fall of the upper section of the North Tower is analyzed it shows that the columns of the lower and upper sections would contact each other within their cross section, as the first several stories of the fall do not produce enough offset.
Not possible. The building only falls because the column ends have parted and passed each other or are just about to. Even if it's 1mm they can never meet again. They might scrape and bump a lot, yes, but the ends cannot meet.

How a bright chap like you can't see this is a mystery, especially as it was discussed to death in the 'missing jolt' thread.

Theoretical collapse models (such as Bazant's) might throw light on reality but they don't, and aren't intended to, represent reality.
GlennB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th May 2012, 05:41 AM   #2048
ozeco41
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Animal View Post
<sigh> Hitting in their "cross section" is a far different animal than hitting square.
Sure but the misunderstanding is more fundamental than that. It goes to one of the errors underpinning "Missing Jolt".

I said that when the actual geometry of the fall of the upper section of the North Tower is analyzed it shows that the columns of the lower and upper sections would contact each other within their cross section,...
So Tony is talking about the fall of the "upper section". The upper section is moving downwards. There had been columns filling the original space between the "upper section" and the "lower section". That space is getting shorter as the "upper section" falls.

So what is happening to the columns that were in that gap as the gap gets shorter?

Well the columns have failed for some reason or other. Let me be quite detailed here. Remember that the upper section is falling because the columns have failed to support the "upper section". So, no matter how those columns failed, they are no longer as long as the original space. Their net length is equal to the rapidly shortening gap. How is this happening?

Let's be fair to Tony and allow two options. The first option is:
A) The columns have broken so that the lower end of the top bit is passing the upper end of the bottom bit or they have buckled/folded with the same overall effect. THEREFORE the ends are not in a position to land top bit on bottom bit - they are already past each other. So that applies whether we argue about "would contact each other within their cross section" OR "hitting square end on end".

The second option which I understand to be Tony's preference is:
B) Some section of column has been removed so that there is a gap which closes as the "upper section" of tower falls.

Tony goes on to say:
...the columns of the lower and upper sections would contact each other within their cross section as the first several stories of the fall do not produce enough offset....
...where he is essentially arguing that the upper section and the lower sections were of such rigidity that the geometry would be maintained close enough to guarantee column on column landing when the gap closes.

Two problems with that:
1) There was no gap and his "missing Jolt" logic goes circular on that issue - he assumes the gap then tries to use no jolt to prove the gap.
2) It assumes a level of rigidity for the steel frame which is ridiculous given the weights and energies involved in the falling "upper section". Should be self evident but reasoning available if needed.

Then:
...What didn't you understand about that?...
...raised the question of who is not understanding.

And:
...It seems to me that those advocating that the columns all missed each other are simply making an assertion without an analytical basis.
It probably does seem to him....

Recall my "Clues" from this post:
....I had been making the point persistently since early 2008 that columns must have been bypassing.
.... I mean it must be one of the first things that anyone would work out if they looked at a collapse video AND thought for a couple of minutes.

Clues:
A) The top block was falling; AND
B) The perimeter columns fell away unbuckled AND the few core columns clearly observable in the "spires' were also unbuckled.

Last edited by ozeco41; 11th May 2012 at 05:59 AM. Reason: Removed a redundant comment.
ozeco41 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th May 2012, 05:43 AM   #2049
ozeco41
Philosopher

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
Not possible. The building only falls because the column ends have parted and passed each other or are just about to. Even if it's 1mm they can never meet again. They might scrape and bump a lot, yes, but the ends cannot meet.

How a bright chap like you can't see this is a mystery, especially as it was discussed to death in the 'missing jolt' thread.

Theoretical collapse models (such as Bazant's) might throw light on reality but they don't, and aren't intended to, represent reality.

Beat me to the post.

But you are welcome to go first - the original point was yours.

(EDIT) PS - I'm not sure that the light Bazant throws on reality is a net gain. We regularly see folks from both sides of the polarised debate misapply Bazant. And (heresy of heresy to Bazantophiles) I think Bazant has fooled himself a few times. Whether I'm right or not I suggest we would be better not using Bazant concepts and thinking it through for ourselves. Which poses an obvious potential problem......

Last edited by ozeco41; 11th May 2012 at 05:51 AM. Reason: Added PS
Old 11th May 2012, 07:02 AM   #2050
Philosopher

I said that when the actual geometry of the fall of the upper section of the North Tower is analyzed it shows that the columns of the lower and upper sections would contact each other within their cross section, as the first several stories of the fall do not produce enough offset. What didn't you understand about that?

It seems to me that those advocating that the columns all missed each other are simply making an assertion without an analytical basis.
No one has made that claim. Tsig and Carlitos both said that you are claiming that the columns hit squarely on each other.

Originally Posted by tsig View Post
All the columns on the falling floors manage to hit squarely on the columns of the standing floors?
Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
The idea of adopting the limiting case - columns hitting square end on end - as reality - is probably in the "top 10" of ridiculous truther ideas. If you are not insane, it would be interesting to understand why you might suggest such an idea.
000063 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th May 2012, 07:42 AM   #2051
GlennB
Cereal pedant

As mentioned, a lot of the recent points were made in "Missing jolt". Tony was pressed to explain and, eventually, was driven to claiming that mid column-section plastic buckling would lead to 90° folds hitting other 90° folds .... er..... "axially" (pretty much like the Bazant hinge diagram, only taken further). That was such a moment that he was then pressed to provide a diagram to illustrate. He never did, as I recall, which is hardly surprising. If I missed it I'd love to have a look

I tried to produce my own, just for fun, but I wet myself laughing.
GlennB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th May 2012, 07:44 AM   #2052
twinstead
Penultimate Amazing

Attention. Clean up on aisle 5. I repeat--clean up on aisle 5
Old 11th May 2012, 08:42 AM   #2053
ergo
Illuminator

Oy vey. If they don't represent reality, then they don't "throw light" on reality. Then you are talking about two completely different collapse mechanisms and models. The 9/11 anonymous JREF bedunker model has not been peer reviewed. You can speculate all you want, but it has not been endorsed by any engineering community.

The smooth motion of the "upper block" is not something Bazant has dismissed, else he would not have attempted to explain it professionally.

When are you going to get this through your heads?
Old 11th May 2012, 10:53 AM   #2054
beachnut
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ergo View Post
Oy vey. If they don't represent reality, then they don't "throw light" on reality. Then you are talking about two completely different collapse mechanisms and models. The 9/11 anonymous JREF bedunker model has not been peer reviewed. You can speculate all you want, but it has not been endorsed by any engineering community.

The smooth motion of the "upper block" is not something Bazant has dismissed, else he would not have attempted to explain it professionally.

When are you going to get this through your heads?
Models don't "throw light" on reality, this is your stand. A most anti-intellectual stand based on the following models.

F=ma, you are saying Newton failed to "throw light" on reality, yet many people claim the laws of physics were broken, but here you are saying the laws of physics are nonsense - they are models. Is this your last stand?

Are you saying models are bad? F=ma is wrong for you? Your moon size debris field can't crush the WTC towers is a good indication you might not be physics.

What about E=mc2? Do you understand any models?

How do you model this? Some 911 truthers deny the A-bomb, they say it is a hoax. You are in the correct movement. A movement called truth, but you all spread lies and celebrate being anti-science.
If you understood models, you would not be supporting the idiotic claims of CD and the failure of 911 truth Google U. Engineers to produce rational work. You support nonsense. Models are too complicated for you? F=ma, to hard? Go ahead get specific and explain why each model you have problems with is wrong.

Where is your model for the collapse of WTC 7? Do you realize the irony of attacking the NIST "probable" collapse sequence? Have you looked up probable?

Reality based engineers would present their thousand page thesis on their probable collapse sequence instead of wasting time posting big talk and assorted nonsense on how bad NIST did it. You have problems with models and you have failed to acknowledge them.

Last edited by beachnut; 11th May 2012 at 11:34 AM. Reason: in garden, working on picnic table...
beachnut is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th May 2012, 11:31 AM   #2055
tfk
Illuminator

Tony,

You know, you have turned into one awful human being.

You have every opportunity to speak clearly, to use standard terminology, to clarify issues.

Instead you choose, intentionally, purposfully, to obscure, to speak in indefinite terms, to obfuscate.

For the sole purpose of maintaining the illusion amongt your UTTERLY CLUELESS acolytes that you have valid arguments, that you are not getting creamed in a debate.

You are getting creamed by me citing independent engineering websites that agree 100% with exactly what I am saying, and disagree 100% with what you are asserting.

You are getting creamed by me copying & pasting YOUR OWN WORDS, showing their intentional self-contradiction. Do you really think that the people who post here don't understand the difference between "dividing by the length of a weld" and "multiplying by the height of a weld throat"??

But you ignore the exposure of your blatant errors & intentional misdirections, and bumble on.

Do you really possess no dignity at all? No shame?

And now this load of hand-waving misdirection...

I bring in the length of the throat to find stress once the bending and shear stresses and resultant have been determined in lbs./inch.

Stress = load in lbs./inch divided by (0.707 x fillet weld size), where 0.707 x fillet weld size is the length of the throat.

You are clearly the wanker here,
No, Tony, more gibberish disguised as engineering discussion.

We are discussing the calculation of MOI for a weld bead.

You intentionally LIE here by using the OBFUSCATING terms "bending and shear stresses". You collide these two types of stresses together in the vain attempt to jump back & forth between them, confusing your clueless supporters.

Your grasping-at-misdirection explanation of "load/inch divided by the length of the weld" is appropriate for the SHEAR stresses. The MOI plays NO ROLE in the shear stresses.

Why are you using your engineering knowledge to lie to people, Tony?

The MOI plays a crucial role in BENDING stresses. The "load/in divided by the length of the weld" plays NO ROLE in the calculation of bending stresses.

Ergo, the "load/in divided by the length of the weld" plays NO ROLE in the calculation of the MOI.

And your gibberish, that "multiplying by the weld height" is equivalent to "dividing by the weld length" is shown to be comically inept on multiple levels, not just 4th grade 'rithmatic.

Do you think that the people posting here are unable to understand the difference between shear stresses & bending stresses?

Do you think that they are unable to understand the difference between multiplying & dividing?

Hell, Tony, even Christopher7, ergo & clayton moore can understand that piece of folly. (Tho they won't admit to it, of course.)

People should be asking themselves why you don't present an actual complete and clear analysis of the weld on the stiffener.
Because I am not the person who has claimed to have produced such an analysis. YOU are. Ergo, you are the person who is obliged to defend YOUR analysis.

"Why don't you do your own analysis" is a cluelessly inept, incompetent defense of your own. Why don't you try that with the reviewers of your paper submitted to JEM. Along with a couple of juicy insults.

Let's see how far those arguments get you.

I don't need to do an analysis of single pieces, Tony. The full, meaningful analysis has been done for me by competent engineers (unlike you) who know what they are doing.

I've shown, to anyone with even the vaguest understanding of the issues, the numerous non-linearities in the analysis that you claim to have done.

Now you have shown that you don't even know how to calculate MOIs. Freshman level engineering failure.

You have replied to NONE of the questions that I have listed several times now.

I know exactly why you haven't replied to them. So do you. So do others.

You can't reply to them & still maintain that your analysis of the girder expansion & sag is meaningful.

By the way, I spoke with David Chandler tonight on a different issue and when I asked about your claim, he said he never quoted me as telling him I didn't think the columns in the North Tower would hit square.
Do you think that adding in the qualifier "North Tower" goes unnoticed by anyone, Tony.

I never said a word about which tower.

Do you think that it makes you look like anything but a charlatan & intentional deceiver to add in that term, and then deny a red herring?

I have always maintained that analysis of the geometry of the fall of the North Tower shows it would not produce enough offset to keep the upper and lower columns from contacting within their cross section...
And this, as much as any of your long line of idiocy, demonstrates what a lousy mechanical engineer you are.

So now you are just making things up. Not surprising.
No, Tony. YOU are the one "making things up." Specifically, you made up the word "North", and threw it into the comment that I made.

Did you think that was clever, Tony?

You work very closely with Chandler. He quotes you as one of his principle technical advisers. (The poor sap.)

On some arbitrary day that I happen to mention something about him, you are already calling him about some "different issue".

You know exactly what he posts. Especially when it involves you. Most especially when he mentions you by name. (An artifact of your drunken addiction to the truther limelight.)

You know EXACTLY which video I am talking about.

You know EXACTLY what Chandler said in the video.

You know EXACTLY what you said to Chandler.

And yet, you blithely accuse me of "making it up".

You've turned into one horrible human being, Tony.

Why don't you tell us about a comment he made in one of his videos, that he attributed to you, along the lines of what I quoted, about … oh, I don't know … perhaps the SOUTH Tower?

Do you think that I won't find the video, Tony.

Do you think that, when I post the exact quote, you won't then look even more like a lying weasel?

Christ, you can be unremittingly stupid some times.

Last edited by tfk; 11th May 2012 at 12:03 PM.
tfk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th May 2012, 11:55 AM   #2056
ozeco41
Philosopher

As mentioned, a lot of the recent points were made in "Missing jolt". Tony was pressed to explain and, eventually, was driven to claiming that mid column-section plastic buckling would lead to 90° folds hitting other 90° folds .... er..... "axially" (pretty much like the Bazant hinge diagram, only taken further). That was such a moment that he was then pressed to provide a diagram to illustrate. He never did, as I recall, which is hardly surprising. If I missed it I'd love to have a look

I missed the "Missing Jolt" discussion - it was probably before I became active here...

...but, that said, the errors of foundation assumptions and lack of understanding of mechanism were and remain quite obvious to me.
Old 11th May 2012, 12:29 PM   #2057
GlennB
Cereal pedant

I missed the "Missing Jolt" discussion - it was probably before I became active here...
Maybe you were lucky. But then, why do any of us do this except as an obscure hobby? MrsB does "mind bending" Sudoku and mostly fails to solve the puzzles

...but, that said, the errors of foundation assumptions and lack of understanding of mechanism were and remain quite obvious to me.
Yes. Tony's ability to mix+match theory and reality can be quite scary.
Old 11th May 2012, 03:36 PM   #2058
carlitos
"más divertido"

The idea of adopting the limiting case - columns hitting square end on end - as reality - is probably in the "top 10" of ridiculous truther ideas. If you are not insane, it would be interesting to understand why you might suggest such an idea.

Well then, it's a good thing that I didn't make that assertion.

When Albert Pujols tees one up square, he hits it a mile. When he fouls a pitch straight back to the screen, there is barely any change in the ball's velocity. (a missing jolt!) What you had in the WTC collapse was a couple of foul balls at best, and not 100% home runs like the limiting case. This is obvious even to us non-engineers.

I'm not sure how many more analogies would help, since the 'missing jolt' thread never got through. I guess the ignorance is willful, and tfk's suspicions regarding motive are right. After all Tony's intentionally bad engineering got him on TV, a few other appearances, etc. Wonder if ae911Truth pays him too?

Last edited by carlitos; 11th May 2012 at 03:38 PM. Reason: deleted one of two poor analogies
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th May 2012, 03:37 PM   #2059
ozeco41
Philosopher

Maybe you were lucky. But then, why do any of us do this except as an obscure hobby? MrsB does "mind bending" Sudoku and mostly fails to solve the puzzles ...
I got started in late 2007 out of a desire to explain WTC Towers collapses to a friend. He was and still is a "Conspiracy Nut" and WTC collapse just a sideline for him. WTC fitted my career/professional expertise as a civil structural engineer and a military engineer trained in demolitions. But I had long been a manager of engineers and engineering so spotting the "lose the plot" or "big picture" errors was a speciality of mine. just as the old saw "When you are up to your arse in alligators its easy to forget that the objective was 'drain the swamp'" OR (British/Australian version) "Cannot see the wood for the trees" (I think the US folk say "Cannot see the forest for the trees") Whatever pithy comments we use to describe it that is where Tony gets it wrong IMNSHO most times.

So that is how I got started. My primary focus is still on "explaining" rather than the Unarmed Combat sports of "debunking" or "beating the other person in argument" or "troll feeding". BUT given the few remaining genuine sceptics or real truthers these days there is little opportunity for explaining. The commonest game being counter trolling.

...Yes. Tony's ability to mix+match theory and reality can be quite scary.
He is not alone on that - there are many examples on the "debunker" side. The unusual aspect with Tony he is one of few engineers coming from the losing side of CD claims who makes that error and consistently repeats it despite multiple efforts to show him the error. And he does it without pausing for breath or whatever the written version of that is.

Being the lone supporter of the position leaves him exposed. He is probably the only regular here who can quote reams of 'engineery' looking stuff which looks impressive but leaves us engineers squirming in discomfort at the false premises. The debunkers who wrongly mix up Bazantian theory with real world stuff get away with it because:
1) Most of us agree with their outcomes and don't give them a hard time on shaky logic;
2) They end up with the right answers so no need to scrutinise logic anyway; AND
3) Probably some of us use the same dubious logic.

Except you and I, naturally, because by my definition I have no blind spots and you probably feel the same.
Old 11th May 2012, 03:44 PM   #2060
carlitos
"más divertido"

I have made it a point to discuss that Bazant was a limiting case. But since I'm just a marketing guy, I'll defer to any engineers if I'm using that or the terminology wrong.

Video of the tower collapses show rotation and stuff. How long skinny things could possibly perfectly line up with other long skinny things in a fall eludes me. Especially since something obviously failed to make the fall happen in the first place. As ridiculous as it sounds, I would be more likely to believe in a perfect, symmetrical fall if there was a demolition. At least that way, multiple columns could be simultaneously removed. Given that the failure was chaotic, there is no chance.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th May 2012, 03:46 PM   #2061
ozeco41
Philosopher

...I'm not sure how many more analogies would help, since the 'missing jolt' thread never got through. I guess the ignorance is willful, and tfk's suspicions regarding motive are right. After all Tony's intentionally bad engineering got him on TV, a few other appearances, etc. Wonder if ae911Truth pays him too?
I may be too forgiving or too hard to convince but I am still agnostic on his motivation or intention. As a manger of engineers I often had to deal with subordinate engineers who have the same sort of reasoning process difficulties. (Is that PC or diplomatic enough?)

On my bad days I reckon that Tony and C7 are just better than average at trolling - notice that discussions they are in go round in circles and don't progress. And "ensure the discussion doesn't progress" is the second objective of trolling after "irritate the hell out of the opposition".

And a hell of a lot of forum posting people cannot process analogies - from both "sides".
Old 11th May 2012, 03:55 PM   #2062
ozeco41
Philosopher

I have made it a point to discuss that Bazant was a limiting case....
Bazant and Zhou was limiting - he got progressively more dubious vis-a-vis the real world with later papers.

...But since I'm just a marketing guy,...
Posting here should suit you more than me. "Marketing" is about getting the message across. Us engineers are notorious poor communicators or marketers.
...Video of the tower collapses show rotation and stuff. How long skinny things could possibly perfectly line up with other long skinny things in a fall eludes me....
Since the top bit was already falling the ends of the top columns are already past the ends of their bottom sections. So it is already too late for them to line up.
...Especially since something obviously failed to make the fall happen in the first place....
The bits that failed are the columns which cannot line up because in failing they already went past the point where they could align.

Once the top bit starts falling - already too late.
... As ridiculous as it sounds, I would be more likely to believe in a perfect, symmetrical fall if there was a demolition. At least that way, multiple columns could be simultaneously removed. Given that the failure was chaotic, there is no chance.
your point understood.

Last edited by ozeco41; 11th May 2012 at 04:08 PM.
Old 11th May 2012, 04:22 PM   #2063
carlitos
"más divertido"

Bazant and Zhou was limiting - he got progressively more dubious vis-a-vis the real world with later papers.
Thanks. Maybe I should say "Bazant and Zhou's limiting case which seems to be the basis for Tony's 'jolt' claim when he says things like 'the columns of the lower and upper sections would contact each other within their cross section' " then.

Or find a new hobby.
Old 11th May 2012, 04:41 PM   #2064
ozeco41
Philosopher

Thanks. Maybe I should say "Bazant and Zhou's limiting case which seems to be the basis for Tony's 'jolt' claim...
Yes.
...when he says things like 'the columns of the lower and upper sections would contact each other within their cross section' " then.
That's part B&Z and part Tony's wishful thinking on "rigidity" of the two parts of tower.

BTW, and possibly a bit subtle, but what he is doing is thinking/pretending/relying on the physical context outside his subject area to remain geometrically fixed.

And that is generically the same flaw that I, tfk and a couple of others have identified in his Col79 Col44 Girder walk off claims of "impossibility". He wants to assume that everything else remains geometrically fixed around the bits he wants to think about.

...Or find a new hobby.
I've already reduced my involvement. It is a couple of years since we saw any serious discussion in my interest areas of "How the Towers Collapsed" and "Was it CD?"

Cannot think of another Forum discussion topic that would suit my knowledge areas as well as WTC Twin Towers collapse has......so I agree "Time to find a new obsession."
Old 11th May 2012, 07:47 PM   #2065
Tony Szamboti
Illuminator

Yes. That's part B&Z and part Tony's wishful thinking on "rigidity" of the two parts of tower.

BTW, and possibly a bit subtle, but what he is doing is thinking/pretending/relying on the physical context outside his subject area to remain geometrically fixed.

And that is generically the same flaw that I, tfk and a couple of others have identified in his Col79 Col44 Girder walk off claims of "impossibility". He wants to assume that everything else remains geometrically fixed around the bits he wants to think about.

I've already reduced my involvement. It is a couple of years since we saw any serious discussion in my interest areas of "How the Towers Collapsed" and "Was it CD?"

Cannot think of another Forum discussion topic that would suit my knowledge areas as well as WTC Twin Towers collapse has......so I agree "Time to find a new obsession."
It would be interesting to hear those who think no jolt should have been expected in the North Tower explain why the Balzac-Vitry building, and all other Verinage demolitions which have been measured, show a definitive deceleration of the upper section at impact.

The Verinage demolitions are essentially what the current official story claims occurred to the towers in the sense that they were destroyed without explosives. The only difference being the Verinage demolitions are admitted to have had their initiating stories removed intentionally by non-explosive means.

If you haven't seen David Chandler's 5 minute video on this it is here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiHeCjZlkr8

Here is a 1:17 video of the demolition showing the building from the opposite side http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RgTz...eature=related

If you look you will notice that the building actually moves to the side some when the hydraulic rams push the vertical supports down, so there isn't full column on column contact, yet there is still a jolt.

In the case of the North Tower there has been significant analysis of the geometry of the initial fall and it shows no greater than 1 degree of tilt for the first two stories at least and no side shift. There is almost no offset of the columns in the North Tower, yet no jolt is observed at any time impacts would be expected to have occurred.

Last edited by Tony Szamboti; 11th May 2012 at 08:12 PM.
Tony Szamboti is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th May 2012, 08:17 PM   #2066
Sword_Of_Truth
Penultimate Amazing

Hey Tony!

Now that you're back, I put this question on WTC7 to you almost two years ago, but you never responded to it.

Originally Posted by Sword_Of_Truth View Post
What evidence is there of failures occurring a dozen floors below the east penthouse? In the videos I only see light through windows one floor below the roofline of the main building.
The following is taken from The National Institute of Standards and Technology's youtube channel.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the JREF. The JREF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

WTC7, just prior to the start of the 16 second collapse sequence. NIST is one of the few youtube vids that show the early part of the collapse sequence. East Mechanical Penhouse is marked.

Roofline of the EMP has buckled, the collapse is now underway, and probably has been for a few seconds prior to this. Some damage (circled in blue) has appeared on a window pane several floors directly underneath the collapsing penthouse.

Failure of the EMP continues, the majority of the structure remains on top of the building at this point, however the damage several floors below has gotten worse. three windows appear to be broken. Separated from eachother by intact windows. We know that this is not due to a blast event, because an explosive shockwave powerful enough to rend structural steel would have taken out every window on that floor, possibly others above and below. Explosive shockwaves don't pick and choose what they destroy in this manner.

The EMP is almost completely gone by this point. The damage several floors down is worse again. Having eliminated blast events as the cause, and since it started simultaneously with the beginning of the EMPs collapse, a more likely explanation is weakening and failure of nearby structural supports, twisting and distortion of the buildings frame has affected the windows closest to the initial failure. It is obviously this failure deep inside the main body of WTC7 which caused the collapse of the East Mechanical Penthouse and is directly related to the collapse of the building as whole.

Tony Szamboti will be unable to provide a satisfactory explanation of these observations that fits a blast scenario (Mr. Randi, I'll take my million in Canadian funds).
Edited by jhunter1163:  Edited for Rule 0.

If you could come up with an explanation as to why a high explosive would shatter steel but not glass and get back to me, I'd appreciate it.

Last edited by jhunter1163; 12th May 2012 at 05:51 AM.
Sword_Of_Truth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th May 2012, 12:57 AM   #2067
ozeco41
Philosopher

It would be interesting to hear those who think no jolt should have been expected in the North Tower explain why...
So would I ... but it is your strawman Tony. Not mine.
... the Balzac-Vitry building, and all other Verinage demolitions which have been measured, show a definitive deceleration of the upper section at impact....
Whilst I am tempted to say "So what?" the interesting fact is that for buildings other than WTC you are prepared to look at the actual collapse and use features of the actual collapse mechanism. Why not look at the actual mechanism for WTC1 and WTC2???
...The Verinage demolitions are essentially what the current official story claims occurred to the towers in the sense that they were destroyed without explosives. The only difference being the Verinage demolitions are admitted to have had their initiating stories removed intentionally by non-explosive means...
Confused twaddle Tony. Utter nonsense limiting your definition of Verinage to the single factor of "no explosives". And equally nonsense using that false premise to redefine the so-called "official story". And another limit to one factor in your false claim "The only difference..." No it isn't and there are several differences.

...If you haven't seen David Chandler's 5 minute video on this it is here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiHeCjZlkr8...
The only reason I would watch anything of Chandlers rubbish these days is if an honest truth seeker wants me to advise as to what is wrong with the video. That said back in 2008 I got a lot of mileage out of an earlier Chandler video which actually proved several factors against the nonsense Chandler was claiming and which he presumably had not recognised. So I would tell people to initially turn off the sound and read my commentary. Then re-view the video listening to Chandlers silly claims.
...Here is a 1:17 video of the demolition showing the building from the opposite side http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RgTz...eature=related

If you look you will notice that the building actually moves to the side some when the hydraulic rams push the vertical supports down, so there isn't full column on column contact, yet there is still a jolt....
Chasing your own strawman?? I understand Verinage. BUT we are supposed to be discussing WTC AND it is not me who doesn't understand.

...In the case of the North Tower there has been significant analysis of the geometry of the initial fall and it shows no greater than 1 degree of tilt for the first two stories at least and no side shift. There is almost no offset of the columns in the North Tower, yet no jolt is observed at any time impacts would be expected to have occurred.
"...almost no offset..." THEREFORE ??
"...no {BIG} jolt is observed..." - if you work on the machanism which actually happend at WTC 1 (and 2) why expect a big jolt???
PLUS your same false assumption that the top and bottom bits of tower were rigid enough to maintain geometry to the dimensions of a single coluimn. You still have to be kidding.

So the lesson I learn about your reasoning from this post:
you can use "what really happend" mechanisms for buildings other than WTC when it suits you. But you still decline to work with what really happend at WTC1 WTC2.

Mmm... not a new problem but still blocking your way forward in understanding.

Last edited by ozeco41; 12th May 2012 at 01:04 AM.
Old 12th May 2012, 02:09 AM   #2068
GlennB
Cereal pedant

If you look you will notice that the building actually moves to the side some when the hydraulic rams push the vertical supports down, so there isn't full column on column contact, yet there is still a jolt.
And we all know why. And none of the reasons apply to WTC1+2, where the buildings fell because the steel column ends had separated and bypassed each other, or were just about to. By definition. Meaning the next thing they would hit would be a lightweight rc floor, or maybe a beam, or elements of an elevator shaft or whatever.

So, what's your point?

p.s. While you're here, any progress on that diagram showing how axial column-end impacts could occur?
Old 12th May 2012, 04:27 AM   #2069
Tony Szamboti
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Sword_Of_Truth View Post
Hey Tony!

Now that you're back, I put this question on WTC7 to you almost two years ago, but you never responded to it.

If you could come up with an explanation as to why a high explosive would shatter steel but not glass and get back to me, I'd appreciate it.
I will say that I believe the asymmetrically located east penthouse was pulled down inside the building so it wouldn't fly off or topple, with column 79 taken out up high only. The window damage you point out is only high in the building and supports this.

The claim that an explosive couldn't have been used because it would have taken out all of the other windows on the floor is not a very good argument, as by their very nature the shaped charges used to remove columns produce a very focused and directional shockwave. Column 79 was about 45 feet away from the north face of the building and those windows were about 10 to 12 feet apart. So the initially directional and focused shockwave would have expanded conically to about 30 to 40 feet wide after traveling 45 feet and produced four blown out windows.

Last edited by LashL; 12th May 2012 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Removed response to moderated content.
Tony Szamboti is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th May 2012, 04:28 AM   #2070
Tony Szamboti
Illuminator

And we all know why. And none of the reasons apply to WTC1+2, where the buildings fell because the steel column ends had separated and bypassed each other, or were just about to. By definition. Meaning the next thing they would hit would be a lightweight rc floor, or maybe a beam, or elements of an elevator shaft or whatever.

So, what's your point?

p.s. While you're here, any progress on that diagram showing how axial column-end impacts could occur?
Are you saying you believe the columns in the North Tower separated in the plan view before first impact, even though there is little to no tilt or side shift of the structure in the first couple stories of the collapse?

Last edited by Tony Szamboti; 12th May 2012 at 04:47 AM.
Old 12th May 2012, 05:52 AM   #2071
Animal
Graduate Poster

So, what's your point?

This can be used as a starter.

Animal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th May 2012, 05:59 AM   #2072
GlennB
Cereal pedant

Are you saying you believe the columns in the North Tower separated in the plan view before first impact, even though there is little to no tilt or side shift of the structure in the first couple stories of the collapse?
Uh?? Obviously I am. The only alternative to "separated in the plan view " would be for them to slide into themselves telescopically, afaics.

The point remains - once the columns fail there is no way for column ends to meet their counterparts.
Old 12th May 2012, 06:09 AM   #2073
GlennB
Cereal pedant

I will say that I believe the asymmetrically located east penthouse was pulled down inside the building so it wouldn't fly off or topple, with column 79 taken out up high only. The window damage you point out is only high in the building and supports this.
"Fly off or topple" ? This is getting surreal. The perps were trying to keep things tidy by stopping the structure below "flying off"? Wow, just .....

Old 12th May 2012, 06:38 AM   #2074
Tony Szamboti
Illuminator

"Fly off or topple" ? This is getting surreal. The perps were trying to keep things tidy by stopping the structure below "flying off"? Wow, just .....

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/g...clearphoto.jpg
No, it would be asymmetric structure above we are talking about.

The east penthouse had heavy equipment in it and it was asymmetrically located in the northeast corner of the building on the roof. It could have caused a topple. Bringing it down inside the building first, before bringing down the rest of the building, would prevent that possibility. Nothing surreal about that. It would have been the smart thing to do.

Last edited by Tony Szamboti; 12th May 2012 at 07:18 AM.
Old 12th May 2012, 06:44 AM   #2075
Tony Szamboti
Illuminator

Uh?? Obviously I am. The only alternative to "separated in the plan view " would be for them to slide into themselves telescopically, afaics.

The point remains - once the columns fail there is no way for column ends to meet their counterparts.
You really need to explain, in some level of detail, what you think the mechanism would be that could cause the columns of the upper and lower sections to be out of alignment in the plan view before the first impact.

Buckling of the columns in the initiating story and a symmetric initial collapse as observed in the North Tower won't do that.

Last edited by Tony Szamboti; 12th May 2012 at 06:45 AM.
Old 12th May 2012, 06:57 AM   #2076
Philosopher

The claim that an explosive couldn't have been used because it would have taken out all of the other windows on the floor is not a very good argument,
Well, these's also the lack of explosive audio or flashes of light.

Quote:
as by their very nature the shaped charges used to remove columns produce a very focused and directional shockwave.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the JREF. The JREF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Note how thin that plate is, compared to a WTC7 column. Note the size of the charge, how it has to be positioned in a very specific fashion which would be highly visible. Also note the size of the explosion.

I AGREE

Plus there's no evidence the windows are blown out by a shockwave, instead of, oh, the buckling of their frames as the floor collapsed, and some of the windows in question aren't next to each other, and one is on another floor entirely.

Quote:
Column 79 was about 45 feet away from the north face of the building and those windows were about 10 to 12 feet apart. So the initially directional and focused shockwave would have expanded conically to about 30 to 40 feet wide after traveling 45 feet and produced four blown out windows. ...
You just made all of that up.

What floor or floors did Column 79 failed on first? How does the shaped charge break only a single window on one floor, and several non-contiguous windows at irregular intervals on another? From what source do you make these claims about the nature of shaped charges?

[]X[]X[]X[][]X[]

You are unable to provide a decent explanation for this phenomenon that first a blast scenario.

Last edited by 000063; 12th May 2012 at 06:59 AM.
000063 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th May 2012, 07:02 AM   #2077
Tony Szamboti
Illuminator

Originally Posted by 000063 View Post
Well, these's also the lack of explosive audio or flashes of light.

I AGREE

Note how thin that plate is, compared to a WTC7 column. Note the size of the charge, how it has to be positioned in a very specific fashion which would be highly visible. Also note the size of the explosion.

I AGREE

Plus there's no evidence the windows are blown out by a shockwave, instead of, oh, the buckling of their frames as the floor collapsed, and some of the windows in question aren't next to each other, and one is on another floor entirely.

You just made all of that up.

What floor or floors did Column 79 failed on first? How does the shaped charge break only a single window on one floor, and several non-contiguous windows at irregular intervals on another?

[]X[]X[]X[][]X[]

You are unable to provide a decent explanation for this phenomenon that first a blast scenario.
A shaped charge blast at column 79 could have caused precisely the damage we observe of four adjacent broken windows on the north face. The windows are supported by the perimeter frame and the perimeter columns on the north face weren't buckled or damaged, so that is not even a plausible explanation. A scattered window or two being broken out up a little higher could have been caused by the debris falling inside after the column was severed on the floor with the four adjacent broken windows. The flash would not be likely to be seen as it is well inside the building and up at a high level. With the blast pressure emanating towards the north face it is likely that the charge was placed on the south side of column 79 and the column itself would hide the flash also.

An incendiary loaded shaped charge would have produced much less noise. The explosive only needs to be enough to drive the molten iron through the cut. This is a reason tailorable nano-thermite could have been used.

Last edited by Tony Szamboti; 12th May 2012 at 07:13 AM.
Old 12th May 2012, 07:04 AM   #2078
carlitos
"más divertido"

Has Tony done the math to calculate what would be needed to cause the tower to "topple," and thus the reason that "they" had to "bring it down inside the building first?"

Last edited by carlitos; 12th May 2012 at 07:05 AM.
Old 12th May 2012, 07:21 AM   #2079
triforcharity
Banned

No, it would be asymmetric structure above we are talking about.

The east penthouse had heavy equipment in it and it was asymmetrically located in the northeast corner of the building on the roof. It could have caused a topple. Bringing it down inside the building first, before bringing down the rest of the building, would prevent that possibility. Nothing surreal about that. It would have been the smart thing to do.
You think "they" really gave two rats' nuts about more buildings being damaged? Really?

Ring ring ring.....

Hello? Yes, hold on please

Occam's Razor is on the phone, and wants a word with you.
triforcharity is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th May 2012, 07:23 AM   #2080
Tony Szamboti
Illuminator

Has Tony done the math to calculate what would be needed to cause the tower to "topple," and thus the reason that "they" had to "bring it down inside the building first?"
The NIST report states that the east penthouse was a shelter for heavy equipment. They don't say how heavy.

What can be said is that it was a heavy eccentric load and would cause a propensity for a topple once the columns below let go. Additionally, it would have to initially cause an out of plumbness when the columns below let go and that would become a sort of p-delta effect causing more moment arm and increasing the propensity for a rotation about the center of gravity of the falling mass or what is colloquially called a topple.

Last edited by Tony Szamboti; 12th May 2012 at 07:32 AM.
Closed Thread

JREF Forum » General Topics » Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories