JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Tags bigfoot , bigfoot merchandising , Bryan Sykes , jeffrey meldrum , Melba Ketchum

Old 30th May 2012, 03:15 PM   #121
AttorneyTom
Muse

Hey $3.94 on Ebay.. that all adds up to a nice hair weave, eh ?
AttorneyTom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2012, 07:31 PM   #122
Jodie
Master Poster

Oh Lord no Tom, hair weaves are extremely pricey.
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2012, 10:21 AM   #123
Vortigern99
Philosopher

Insert ad hom crack about "no sense of humor" here.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." -- Jimi Hendrix
Vortigern99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2012, 04:57 PM   #124
Jodie
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Vortigern99 View Post
Insert ad hom crack about "no sense of humor" here.
That was meant to be sarcastic, albeit a low form of humor. A hair weave that costs $3.94 is going to be a strand weave at that price.
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2012, 08:20 PM   #125
AttorneyTom
Muse

I was just noting the last and latest winning bid "for the authentic Bigfoot Hair " sample on ebay yesterday. Seems like a bargain compared to the last one with the Patty/Bob Film shot placard attached to it that received all of those bids up to $15 +. Much more hair on the former.. so while maybe not a weave ... perhaps just a small extension ? Would be a great conversation starter at a party , I suppose ?
AttorneyTom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2012, 05:30 PM   #126
AttorneyTom
Muse

Update:

Now the Michigan person on ebay is offering " strands of bigfoot hair with a skin flake in it.. the only one ! " for the bargain price of $50 and , of course, free shipping. Who knew BF had dandruff ?

Perhaps more flakes involved than Head and Shoulders could solve, eh ?

Last edited by AttorneyTom; 7th June 2012 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Flakes !
Old 7th June 2012, 06:57 PM   #127
Jodie
Master Poster

Are people actually bidding on this stuff? I'm going to go check it out, ask the seller some questions, and put it on my watch list.

Nope, it says it's for entertainment purposes only at the bottom of the description.

Last edited by Jodie; 7th June 2012 at 07:03 PM.
Old 7th June 2012, 07:03 PM   #128
AttorneyTom
Muse

Not on this item yet.. but yes if you pull up the selling of bigfoot hair you will see that unfortunately people are actively bidding for these sort of things. There is money to be made on the myth !

Just a thought.. I never really thought about how exploitive people were with this topic until [/b]Parn[b] posted this Thread. Then I began to think about it a bit. It is a bit difficult to say who the sellers and buyers are. My guess the sellers with their stories of how they have come across this material are probably folks from certain organizations that promote the myth.. the buyers ? Perhaps younger people wrapped up in it that have been taken in by the MM's and the AP Channels of this world.

This one is different with the "skin flake" claim. Another claimed actual blood on the hair. Of course, it is all for "entertainment purposes". To me it is outrageous and why so much ire is put upon those that are into the BROF and other self purported "scientific groups" and those that belong to them.

Snake oil.

Last edited by AttorneyTom; 7th June 2012 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Just a thought...
Old 7th June 2012, 07:04 PM   #129
Jodie
Master Poster

I have red in my hair, I think I'll save some the next time I swab out the shower and put it up for sale " for entertainment purposes only".
Old 7th June 2012, 07:27 PM   #130
AttorneyTom
Muse

Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
I have red in my hair, I think I'll save some the next time I swab out the shower and put it up for sale " for entertainment purposes only".
Of course the disclaimer. That is the only way these folks can sell this stuff on ebay per the company's policy .

However, look at the "stories" from the sellers that claim how these things were obtained and gathered. Read them.. That is the con. It is the same as we see on the sites of BF proponent organizations. It is like a report of some kind to add veracity and facts to something that never happened with an animal that has no proof of it existing.
Old 8th June 2012, 09:30 AM   #131
Jodie
Master Poster

Oh I read it, it sounded like a hundred others.
Old 8th June 2012, 05:26 PM   #132
AttorneyTom
Muse

I have been thinking about this today and trying to remember the first television series that mentioned BF as part of its plot. Obviously I remember "The Six Million Dollar Man" from the mid 70's.

If I recall there was a show on briefly called "Here come the Brides".. maybe 1968 or so that had an episode that took on the topic. Anybody over 50 around here that remembers this show or an earlier series that references the topic ? ( other than the PGF).
Old 9th June 2012, 03:09 AM   #133
Buhmony
New Blood

Here come the Brides, Season 2, episode #8, 1969: The Legend of Bigfoot
Quote:
Seattle's people are paralyzed by fear after a local named Jed arrives in Lottie's, injured and shouting that he was attacked by Big Foot.
There are some eps. on youtube, but not that one.

There's a Scooby Doo episode from 1972 titled The Ghost of Bigfoot (?).

Not much else very early after the PGF that I've come across. Which is a little surprising. What made Bigfoot take off in the later '70s? The PGF doesn't seem to have made much of an impact initially. All the Bigfoot toys and merchandise I've seen come from the mid '70s or later (though there are Yeti items earlier than that). He wasn't wildly popular until the general woo/In Search Of craze hit, and then there were things like the Bionic Man episodes and K-Tel Bigfoot stompers all over the place. Funny how fads like that work.
Buhmony is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2012, 02:59 PM   #134
AttorneyTom
Muse

Originally Posted by Buhmony View Post
Here come the Brides, Season 2, episode #8, 1969: The Legend of Bigfoot

There are some eps. on youtube, but not that one.

There's a Scooby Doo episode from 1972 titled The Ghost of Bigfoot (?).

Not much else very early after the PGF that I've come across. Which is a little surprising. What made Bigfoot take off in the later '70s? The PGF doesn't seem to have made much of an impact initially. All the Bigfoot toys and merchandise I've seen come from the mid '70s or later (though there are Yeti items earlier than that). He wasn't wildly popular until the general woo/In Search Of craze hit, and then there were things like the Bionic Man episodes and K-Tel Bigfoot stompers all over the place. Funny how fads like that work.
What I find interesting simply from a cultural point of study is the reemergence of this fad. What is next Pet Rocks ?

I do recall that Scooby Doo episode btw. There was also an episode of Lost In Space in the late 60's that had some BF like creature..
Old 9th June 2012, 03:12 PM   #135
AlaskaBushPilot
Master Poster

Patterson and DeAtley were making obscene amounts of money on the Road Show with the PGF and were just about to clean up in Minnesota when the Minnesota Ice Man hoax was revealed.

That killed the road show and bigfoot receded into the background until this re-emergence in the 70's you mention. Roger had died by '71. That actually helped bury his whole hoaxing/conning background and allowed bigfoot to flourish without the taint of Roger Patterson's misdeeds.
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2012, 06:35 PM   #136
The Shrike
Master Poster

Not strictly bigfoot, but 1964 was the first year that American audiences were treated to the "Bumble Snowmonster of the North" in Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. With great media coverage, the Marlin Perkins/Edmund Hillary yeti expedition took place in 1960-61.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2012, 06:53 PM   #137
Jodie
Master Poster

As far as television goes, I remember the abominable snowman being a topic more than bigfoot. Oddly enough, I never connected the two together as a child.
Old 10th June 2012, 08:09 PM   #138
AttorneyTom
Muse

Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
Not strictly bigfoot, but 1964 was the first year that American audiences were treated to the "Bumble Snowmonster of the North" in Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. With great media coverage, the Marlin Perkins/Edmund Hillary yeti expedition took place in 1960-61.
Yes.. that is right. The Perkins/Hillary Expedition in late '60. Was there a tv report on that ? I know that WK began in '63 and seem to recall watching something about that Expedition.. perhaps on one of the episodes. Then, yes, 1964 with Rankin and Bass doing the Bumble... then nothing.. then 1967.. and a few references in the late '60's. Then the Patty Film hit the 11:00 pm show at theatres in perhaps 1969- 1970 ? Just a guess..

Then.. a few years passed (1975) and we had "In Search Of".. and some of the other things.. like the SD Episode.. "The Bionic Man"... then nothing for quite sometime other than some rehash of things. Then in the early or mid '90's "Monster Quest " picking up on the topic. Then.. well the rest of this. Does that sound right or am I missing out on something ?
Old 10th June 2012, 09:26 PM   #139
Buhmony
New Blood

In the mid '70s there were movies-- documentaries like 'The Mysterious Monster(s)' and 'Legend of Boggy Creek', and fictional (I know, I know!) low-budget things I can't recall. There was 'Bigfoot & Wildboy' on TV. Those K-tel stompers were advertised on TV. Bigfoot was on newstand UFO magazines and tabloids. other woo shows like 'Arthur C. Clarke's Myterious World' owe BF for their existence probably.

There was a gap, but 'Harry And the Hendersons' put BF in the mainstream again to stay, gradually building to today's popularity. He appeared in Cartoons like 'The Simpsons' and kept the Weekly World News in business. There's been merchandise off and on since then. Then the History Channel ran out of Hitler footage so between cable TV and the rise of Internet forums it was off to the races for old Sasquatch.
Buhmony is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2012, 10:16 PM   #140
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Jonny Quest episode 25 referenced the Yeti in 1965. "Monster in the Monastery".

Hadji says the yeti's feet point backwards.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2012, 04:31 PM   #141
AttorneyTom
Muse

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Jonny Quest episode 25 referenced the Yeti in 1965. "Monster in the Monastery".

Hadji says the yeti's feet point backwards.
I do remember that episode of Johnny Quest.. wow I did not realize it was that early ? Harry was 1987.. so your typical kid that the show was geared for perhaps 10 yrs old then... is now 35.
Old 12th June 2012, 05:59 AM   #142
Buhmony
New Blood

There are at least three Yeti movies from the 1950s, so the Abominable Snowman must've been in the popular consciousness by then. One is British and another Japanese, but they played in the US. The Shipton yeti prints made an impact on pop culture faster than the PG film, really. There were yeti toys and appearances through the early '70s, drying up after Bigfoot took over.
Old 15th June 2012, 12:24 PM   #143
AlaskaBushPilot
Master Poster

Shipton's hoax had the benefit of popular ignorance regarding the Himalayas. It was perceived as a vast unexplored remote and wild place.

These are modern figures, but serve to illustrate the ridiculousness of it all. Nepal is about the same size as the rural state of Iowa, but with a population density four times greater. The only place for a Yeti to hide there is in the imagination.
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2012, 12:34 PM   #144
Drewbot
Illuminator

I wonder if the lower Oxygen levels of higher altitudes make hallucination more prevalent.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2012, 12:45 PM   #145
AlaskaBushPilot
Master Poster

Shipton pulled numerous stunts like claiming he found a body of a former climber with women's clothing on him and a diary of bizarre sexual habits, which in that case was directly disputed by his climbing partner (as if it needed to be). There were others too, but even in this hoax there was only one print actually shown, and the alleged complete trackway looked nothing like that print. I mean to say that his hoaxes were so outlandish they were obvious upon inspection with a person who has a modest portion of his brain in operation. What carried the hoax was popular imagination, the romance of the abominable snowman - not what Shipton actually said or provided as evidence.
Old 16th June 2012, 05:34 AM   #146
Buhmony
New Blood

In the context of exploitation, it seems like the Shipton prints were the catalyst for the growing Yeti interest in the 1950s, regardless of how good they were as "evidence." Of course, you're right, he (and the press) capitalized on the legend and the mystery of a faraway land. But for whatever reason his photos got a lot of play, and the idea of a snow monster took off, to the point that Marlin Perkins seriously had to address it by the time of his 1960 trip.

Was the Yeti seriously considered by anyone before then? How popular or widespread was the idea of an Abominable Snowman? I don't really know, but there weren't any movies before then, and there wasn't much coverage in the popular press. I'd like to look into it more. The idea of a large white monster sure seems to postdate the 1951 prints. Only the Hammer movie, of the early films, has a white-furred Yeti. By 1961 he's white in a Bugs Bunny cartoon, and probably every appearance since.

So for better or worse, I think the Shipton prints were a jumpstart to the Yeti myth, and maybe ultimately the Bigfoot myth. You don't have to be good, you just have to hit on a slow news day.

There's a bit in one of those 1970s Bigfoot docs with Shipton in a hospital bed, as if his testimony was so important they had to record it before he passed on. Since he died of cancer in '77, apparently he really was pretty sick at the time, which makes it kind of embarrassing. He, of course, doesn't waver in his story.

Funny point about Nepal. Who'd have thought that 50 years on, the biggest danger scaling Mt. Everest would be traffic jams on your way up and down?
Old 16th June 2012, 05:58 PM   #147
mikeyx
Banned

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
I wonder if the lower Oxygen levels of higher altitudes make hallucination more prevalent.
giving up on sleep deprivation are you. Swamp gas maybe......
mikeyx is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2012, 06:56 PM   #148
AttorneyTom
Muse

I wish I was hallucinating..

there are 10,000 plus items related to BF presently for sale on ebay. Of course now the 10 bidders are at $8.50 for "Lot no. 16 of only 100 of the Washington State BF" trap line hair sample... the paintings, posters, carvings, t-shirts, bumper stickers, costumes, hats, books, slippers, socks, videos, knick knack shelves, etc..
Old 16th June 2012, 09:00 PM   #149
AlaskaBushPilot
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Buhmony View Post

Was the Yeti seriously considered by anyone before then? How popular or widespread was the idea of an Abominable Snowman?

<snip for brevity>

...The idea of a large white monster sure seems to postdate the 1951 prints. down?
There was a 1921 Everest Reconnaissance Expedition, as there were many of them trying to ascend the tallest mountain in the world in those times. A writer named Henry Newman took great liberties in coining the term "Abominable Snowman" to sell copy when writing about the expedition's return. They'd seen some prints not even described as human or ape - looking but Newman made a mistranslation that was thrilling.

A climber named Tillman capitalized on it financially by writing about it in a book called "Mount Everest 1938" which he wrote ten years after the expedition he was on. Writing about the abominable snowman. What is interesting is that in his formal Expedition report to the Geographic Journal in 1938, there was no mention of this breathtaking animal but much detail on every little flower or plant they encountered.

After that in the 50's articles start popping up. Shipton does his hoaxing. Then you have his Emminence Peter Byrne taking over with numerous Yeti expeditions, exploiting his tiger hunting guide credentials.
Old 17th June 2012, 10:07 AM   #150
parnassus
Master Poster

Originally Posted by AttorneyTom View Post
I wish I was hallucinating..

there are 10,000 plus items related to BF presently for sale on ebay. Of course now the 10 bidders are at $8.50 for "Lot no. 16 of only 100 of the Washington State BF" trap line hair sample... the paintings, posters, carvings, t-shirts, bumper stickers, costumes, hats, books, slippers, socks, videos, knick knack shelves, etc..
PT Barnum would have loved it.
Old 17th June 2012, 10:09 PM   #151
AttorneyTom
Muse

Originally Posted by parnassus View Post
PT Barnum would have loved it.
I am thinking that Lot's No. 98-100 will see the most action ? Well.. assuming they dont have anymore hair, blood.. DNA to sell there on ebay from that "BF DNA Hotspot " !
Old 18th June 2012, 07:54 PM   #152
AttorneyTom
Muse

Sorry about the 2x post.

I just find this Thread to be the most fascinating one here.

Why ? Because it is cultural .

The topic is reaching a new zenith and an entirely new generation of people in the US (the others are not) are being inculcated into the belief that BF is real through popular cable television shows , advertising, and the internet. What a combination.

Your 19-35 yrs old.. not only can you watch a show about "BF Evidence" that purports to be finding it. You can bring your kid down to the very small town "Town Hall Meeting" and meet the "stars" and get on television !

Of course , during the commercials to the show you can watch a "Sasquatch steal your keg of beer and throw it at you because of the beef jerky you should purchase .. or BF can just tackle you for fun.

Followed with the number of websites you can visit and join to "see and pinpoint" all of the sightings of BF throughout North America and , of course, the personal upclose stories that they entail.. along with the "verification" of the "witnesses veracity" and the "I know this area very well.. I knew exactly where they were describing as I have hunted that area many times" etc..

Then.. You can go on line and purchase a "legitimate BF item" with a history and an "authentic story behind it".

Have I left something out ?

The only thing I can think of is that as someone said before on the BREf were raising a generation of idiots and non critical thinkers at least here in North America.

Do they have this problem in Scotland ?
Old 19th June 2012, 06:30 PM   #153
Jodie
Master Poster

With fairy sightings probably.
Old 19th June 2012, 06:58 PM   #154
AttorneyTom
Muse

I find it absolutely sad and absurd that the parents of folks here in NA have raised a generation of Believers of something that was debunked before they were even born !

"Finding Bigfoot" apparently just debuted in the Uk and other places and there is no way those folks buy into it from the responses I have seen. Yes, there is an 18 yr old on another Thread talking about .. comparing fairies and BF and how BF has to be real ?
Old 19th June 2012, 07:04 PM   #155
AlaskaBushPilot
Master Poster

Not to worry. There's only a couple dozen countries ahead of us in math, science, and language skills.
Old 19th June 2012, 07:13 PM   #156
AttorneyTom
Muse

Originally Posted by AlaskaBushPilot View Post
Not to worry. There's only a couple dozen countries ahead of us in math, science, and language skills.
And also critical thinking. (sigh)

Mass Marketing Saturation of any topic or myth seems to work ? It is the "Bigfoot SuperPac" ?

"Bigsploitation"- noun.

The intentional effort to market and use a non existing animal for personal profit and gain. Used as a pro noun or an adverb.. " Would be..

Last edited by AttorneyTom; 19th June 2012 at 08:08 PM.
Old 19th June 2012, 08:49 PM   #157
AlaskaBushPilot
Master Poster

OK so we'll fall back on our manufacturing base. Oops, I see that slipped out the door over to Asia.

Well then what are we number one in? Oh yes, it's jailing our own citizens in both absolute and relative terms. Plus bigfoot. There was a poll a while back, with Americans in the lead across various countries.
Old 20th June 2012, 08:52 AM   #158
parnassus
Master Poster

Originally Posted by AttorneyTom View Post
And also critical thinking. (sigh)

Mass Marketing Saturation of any topic or myth seems to work ? It is the "Bigfoot SuperPac" ?

"Bigsploitation"- noun.

The intentional effort to market and use a non existing animal for personal profit and gain. Used as a pro noun or an adverb.. " Would be..
It can be argued that Americans are the stupidest people in the developed world, while America as a nation is the most powerful. What is the disconnect? Massive resources were available here at the beginning of the industrial age, without a viable nearby enemy that required wasted spending on the military. So when WWII came along, we were ready to dominate the world.

Now the resources are largely gone, what we have left (farmland) will be useless in another 50 years because of global warming and depletion and pollution of the aquifers, and America is wasting its financial resources on military spending, "drug wars", and useless junk from China. Our ship of state (and most of the mass communications) is now steered by corporate money that wants to keep us on the path to destruction. It doesn't take a genius to see where that is going.

Bigfootery is a small subset, from which some lessons can be learned, none of which are encouraging.

But, it's a beautiful day in the Bay Area, and I'm off to visit a robotics lab.

Last edited by parnassus; 20th June 2012 at 08:55 AM.
parnassus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2012, 05:17 PM   #159
AttorneyTom
Muse

That is interesting.

I think part of the disconnect is that this Nation is so new relatively ? Coupled with the lack of real heritage and the time to really something ? Maybe the luxury of not being in peril.. technology.. and the barrage of images and commercialism. Ghosts, BF, Infomercials, gadgets, science fiction, a lack of a basic education and a definite non ability to critically think and an acceptance of hype.
Old 21st June 2012, 07:35 PM   #160
AlaskaBushPilot
Master Poster

Hubris. The Master Race psychology of laziness and stupid bellicosity from the delusion of entitlement.

But its a beautiful day today and I finally got an obnoxioius section of trail cleared. I swear the government is so lax about clearing my trails. It's like they don't even know they exist.

JREF Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal