JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Tags bird watching , birders , birds , ornithology

Old 27th October 2012, 01:52 PM   #241
joobie
i don't care

adult male red-bellied woodpecker (melanerpes carolinus) by philside92, on Flickr
Old 27th October 2012, 02:01 PM   #242
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Once again without a camera at the time, but today out the back window of the house, for the first time ever, a FLOCK of bluebirds. There must have been at least a half dozen couples, gathering I imagine for the flight south. We've often seen a pair or two there in fall, but never this many. It was a blue blue morning!

I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2012, 05:42 PM   #243
dasmiller
Just the right amount of cowbell

Just arrived in Orlando for a business trip, with high hopes of seeing a bunch of birds I haven't seen before. On the drive from the airport to the hotel, I saw a group of 4 Sandhill cranes (hey, it's new for me) flying right over the highway.

I'm kinda geeked . . .
Old 27th October 2012, 08:45 PM   #244
GeeMack
Banned

Originally Posted by dasmiller View Post
Just arrived in Orlando for a business trip, with high hopes of seeing a bunch of birds I haven't seen before. On the drive from the airport to the hotel, I saw a group of 4 Sandhill cranes (hey, it's new for me) flying right over the highway.

I'm kinda geeked . . .

Excellent. We see them occasionally when we go to the UP of Michigan.
GeeMack is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2012, 11:31 PM   #245
macdoc
Philosopher

Quote:
Here are some bird pics I took over the weekend.
On the Breede river between Witsand and Malgas.
ah Witsan - lovely area - never had time to do any birding other than ogling ostriches on the way there from Montagu and one lovely secretary bird.

Great pics

••

Quote:
Once again without a camera at the time, but today out the back window of the house, for the first time ever, a FLOCK of bluebirds.
Blue birds in a flock?? Not blue jays?? Where the hell are you???

Last edited by macdoc; 27th October 2012 at 11:34 PM.
macdoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2012, 12:01 AM   #246
joobie
i don't care

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Once again without a camera at the time, but today out the back window of the house, for the first time ever, a FLOCK of bluebirds. There must have been at least a half dozen couples, gathering I imagine for the flight south. We've often seen a pair or two there in fall, but never this many. It was a blue blue morning!
i have 3 times now seen 7 or 8 cardinals grouped together, and each time been so bewildered by it there was no way i was going to be able to get a decent picture.
Old 28th October 2012, 06:33 AM   #247
Henry Skinner
Scholar

Originally Posted by macdoc View Post
Maybe someone could identify this. Shot in Norway in Sept.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...01284423PM.jpg
Little AukWP, I'd say.
Old 28th October 2012, 07:56 AM   #248
macdoc
Philosopher

Thanks - was just a random shot while waiting for a ferry - thanks.

••

Some Aussie treats including the most dangerous bird in the world.

Cassowary

here's a video link of it with a chick -- really was special - click on the image to play

GF was chicken to hand feed the Kookaburras

They are much fun - again a video link.

Lovely catbird

and an alpha male purple swamphen posing

macdoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2012, 01:11 PM   #249
sphenisc
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Henry Skinner View Post
Little AukWP, I'd say.
Juvenile razorbill - beak's a little too big and showing beginning of the white vertical marking, also no white streaks showing in the secondary coverts.
Old 28th October 2012, 02:57 PM   #250
Henry Skinner
Scholar

Originally Posted by sphenisc View Post
Originally Posted by Henry Skinner View Post
Little AukWP, I'd say.
Juvenile razorbill - beak's a little too big and showing beginning of the white vertical marking, also no white streaks showing in the secondary coverts.
Looks like you're right.

My excuse is that neither breed at the Dutch coast, so no juveniles here. Adults are a regular, though not common, sight in winter.
Old 28th October 2012, 03:35 PM   #251
dasmiller

Made it out to Merritt Island in Florida today, which I recommend for anyone who's into wildlife photography. I'll post more over the next few days, but for now:

This time I have proof that it was a bald eagle:

Bald Eagle

It was windy, which meant that some of the flying birds were almost motionless. This can be handy:

Flyin' wit' th'buzzard

Finally, I don't often think of egrets as being particularly graceful, but:

Air Dance
Old 28th October 2012, 04:21 PM   #252
macdoc
Philosopher

stunning
Old 29th October 2012, 04:36 AM   #253
joobie
i don't care

female american black duck (anas rubripes) 2 by philside92, on Flickr
Old 29th October 2012, 12:32 PM   #254
macdoc
Philosopher

anyone got an ID for me - forest kingfisher - Tropical Queensland
Old 29th October 2012, 02:24 PM   #255
sphenisc
Illuminator

Originally Posted by macdoc View Post
anyone got an ID for me - forest kingfisher - Tropical Queensland
Yeah, looks like Forest Kingfisher, incomplete collar suggests it's a female.
Old 29th October 2012, 07:36 PM   #256
macdoc
Philosopher

I was actually calling it a forest Kingfisher as I did not know the name - is that the actual name??
Old 29th October 2012, 09:23 PM   #257
dasmiller

More from my prematurely-concluded trip to Orlando, but that's a tale for another thread.
While these birds were at Gatorland, they're not captive. They're simply local birds that have learned that there's a lot of easy food at Gatorland.

First, a black vulture closeup:

Black vulture profile

I watched this wood stork coming in from quite a ways out, so I had time to reset the camera. He flew right over me, close enough that I remember thinking I needed to rotate the camera to get his wings to fit in the frame. This is cropped a bit, and he was receding by this point:

Wood Stork flyover

Third, this one probably was a captive at the park, but he was so colorful that I'm including him anyway:

Grumpy peacock

I have a lot of pictures left to go through.
Old 31st October 2012, 05:41 PM   #258
dasmiller

More from Gatorland in Orlando. I'm posting these here because I'm not sure that anyone else I know would appreciate them. But the big birds were so close and so active that it made photography difficult!

First, a close flyby. This isn't a crop; I was zooming out but still couldn't get much of the bird in the frame as it went by:

Second, I was trying to get a picture of a nearby skirmish when another egret flew past and blocked my view:

But these are fun sorts of complaints to have, and I had an awful lot of 'keepers' from that set.
Old 1st November 2012, 08:57 AM   #259
sphenisc
Illuminator

Interesting piece on bird phylogenetics

http://sheffield.ac.uk/news/nr/famil...rsity-1.220940
Old 1st November 2012, 10:07 AM   #260
macdoc
Philosopher

Sacred Kingfisher I am told by someone knowledgeable.
Todiramphus sanctus

BTW - this is a good resource and community
http://www.birdforum.net
Old 1st November 2012, 11:30 AM   #261
Skwinty
Philosopher

This is Angie, the peregrine at radical raptors.

What is reality? Nothing but a collective hunch.
--Lily Tomlin
Skwinty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2012, 11:33 AM   #262
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Originally Posted by joobie View Post
My wife keeps messing this up, calling it the red headed woodpecker. So we decided to come to a compromise and call it the red-bellyheaded woodpecker....

-Henry David Thoreau
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2012, 11:39 AM   #263
sphenisc
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Skwinty View Post
This is Angie, the peregrine at radical raptors.
http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/a...6_IMG_1972.jpg
Common Kestrel. Falco tinnunculus
Old 1st November 2012, 11:58 AM   #264
Skwinty
Philosopher

I stand corrected.

I was thinking of this bird.

The tail feathers are quite similar.

Here is another shot of the Kestral

--Lily Tomlin

Last edited by Skwinty; 1st November 2012 at 12:21 PM.
Skwinty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2012, 10:49 PM   #265
Quietus
Scholar

Originally Posted by sphenisc View Post
Common Kestrel. Falco tinnunculus
You are correct. Kinda.

[pedant] Its a Rock Kestrel, which many authorities recognise as a seperate species F. Rupicolis. [/pedant off]

If anyone has greater knowledge of bird taxonomy now would be a good time to chip in...
Quietus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2012, 10:57 PM   #266
Quietus
Scholar

I stand corrected.

I was thinking of this bird.

The tail feathers are quite similar.
I don't have my books with me and the fact that you are at a raptor project in Plett increases, not decreases possible IDs, but to my eyes that looks more like a Lanner Falcon Falco biarmicus . (you will notice the lack of streaking on teh breast

And the one below looks like a male Lesser Kestrel, Falco naumanni not a Rock (common) Kestrel. (blue wing feathers, no black streaking on bakc)
Quietus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2012, 11:35 PM   #267
Skwinty
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Quietus View Post
I don't have my books with me and the fact that you are at a raptor project in Plett increases, not decreases possible IDs, but to my eyes that looks more like a Lanner Falcon Falco biarmicus . (you will notice the lack of streaking on teh breast

And the one below looks like a male Lesser Kestrel, Falco naumanni not a Rock (common) Kestrel. (blue wing feathers, no black streaking on bakc)
Indeed, I am no expert in bird identification and I visited Radical Raptors a few months ago.

I am not associated with Radical Raptors in any way other than sharing a love for birds.

I have some stunning shots of Aquila Verreauxii if you would like to see them.

--Lily Tomlin
Old 2nd November 2012, 01:40 AM   #268
Quietus
Scholar

I have some stunning shots of Aquila Verreauxii if you would like to see them.
If you have pictures of Verreaux's (Black) Eagles then why are you posting pictures of little falcons that would duck for cover when a crow flies overhead?
Old 2nd November 2012, 01:57 AM   #269
Quietus
Scholar

Here are some pics taken yesterday.

I think it's a red kite and it was exhibiting the exact behaviour that Shrike describes.
Not picking on you Skwinty but I am an avid birder and well-versed in birds in my area (south-western corner of South Africa) and you post all these pretty pictures without identifying the birds! This one could be a one of a number of species - where was this taken? More specifically, was it near or over water, especially reedbeds?
Old 2nd November 2012, 08:59 AM   #270
Skwinty
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Quietus View Post
<snip>where was this taken? More specifically, was it near or over water, especially reedbeds?
The Kite was taken from my backyard on the edge of Rietvlei.

Yes, there are lot's of reedbeds.

--Lily Tomlin
Old 2nd November 2012, 09:33 AM   #271
Lucian
Master Poster

Okay, I don't have a picture, and it isn't a particularly unusual bird, but I thought it was pretty nifty: as I was standing behind my office building at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire today, a bald eagle flew by very low. Low enough that a dog in a neighboring yard barked cheerfully at it. I'd never seen one so close before. I imagine it may have been on its way to to have a bit of a soar over the river that runs through campus.
Lucian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2012, 01:42 PM   #272
Skwinty
Philosopher

African Fish Eagle Haliaeetus Vocifer.
Photographed last weekend over my house.

The eagle was at altitude so quite a severe crop on the picture.

and Blach Eagle Aquila Verreauxii

--Lily Tomlin
Old 4th November 2012, 12:15 AM   #273
joobie
i don't care

more shots of the same american black duck:

female american black duck (anas rubripes) 4 by philside92, on Flickr

female american black duck (anas rubripes) 5 by philside92, on Flickr

my dog tried to chase that duck, until the dog remembered how much she hates water. i missed the shots, though.

Old 4th November 2012, 05:09 PM   #274
PetersCreek
Muse

No pics but we had some feathered company around the house today. The usual Black-capped Chickadees were around the feeder and several Common Redpolls were hanging around, waiting their turn. "Our" Steller's Jay came by (after being absent for some weeks) to hit us up for some peanuts...and "our" squirrel was kind enough to share. A Black-billed Magpie came by to case the joint but I don't think he scored any peanuts.
PetersCreek is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2012, 12:04 AM   #275
Skwinty
Philosopher

Yesterday I saw a crow drop something on my roof.

I went to investigate after chasing the crow away as it tried to retrieve its cargo.

This is what I found.

I had no idea that crows preyed on tortoises.

--Lily Tomlin
Old 5th November 2012, 10:53 PM   #276
macdoc
Philosopher

Very likely something else killed the tortoise and the crow took the carcass
Old 5th November 2012, 11:05 PM   #277
Skwinty
Philosopher

There is a possibility that the tortoise was killed by the council tractor mower that cuts the grass around the wetland reserve.

However, after some research, it appears that crows do indeed prey on tortoises.

http://www.google.co.za/url?sa=t&rct...bcybuwHPoovc2Q

--Lily Tomlin
Old 6th November 2012, 03:51 AM   #278
Quietus
Scholar

There is a possibility that the tortoise was killed by the council tractor mower that cuts the grass around the wetland reserve.

However, after some research, it appears that crows do indeed prey on tortoises.
Crows are intelligent and opportunistic birds and the Pied Crow Corvus albus is no exception. The crow probably found part of the corpse and carried it away for a snack (as macdoc said) - the legs look rather dessicated. It appears to be a young adult Angulate Tortoise Chersina angulata deposited on your roof. At several kgs, this would be a bit much for a Pied Crow (max about 700 grams) to catch, let alone carry!

I can't confirm but I would imagine that a Pied Crow could catch - and carry - a Parrotbeaked Tortoise Homopus areolatus which weigh a maximum of 300 grams.

The Verreaux's eagle pic is much more impressive than the muscled doves you posted earlier!
Old 6th November 2012, 05:29 AM   #279
macdoc
Philosopher

Given the broken bones I'd say it was a a steal or tractor kill that the crow snagged.

••••

Thought you might get a kick out of this one.

was watching either a suitor or a youngster trying to get the swallow on the right to come out a play and was getting the cold shoulder.

The bird on the left would cavort and loop and then come back to the wire and clearly try and get the other to join in.
Watched for about 10 min.
Shooting into the light so the sky completely washed out but I liked the photo. Barn swallows in fall plumage.
Old 6th November 2012, 05:51 AM   #280
Skwinty
Philosopher

Here is another of the Black Eagle.

--Lily Tomlin

JREF Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology