JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Old 13th April 2012, 09:34 AM   #1
mummymonkey
Did you spill my pint?

Raspberry Pi

The first few Raspberry Pi units ship today. If I were 16 I'd really, really, really want one of these. Is anybody getting one? If so what do you plan to do with it?
Old 13th April 2012, 10:45 AM   #2
ctamblyn
Deuteranomalous Individual

Originally Posted by mummymonkey View Post
The first few Raspberry Pi units ship today. If I were 16 I'd really, really, really want one of these. Is anybody getting one? If so what do you plan to do with it?
I've ordered two (one for my 8 y.o. son, one for a friend), and I can't wait.

Obviously, I'll let my son use it from time to time...
Old 13th April 2012, 10:48 AM   #3
CynicalSkeptic
Graduate Poster

what do you plan to do with it?
CynicalSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2012, 10:58 AM   #4
ctamblyn
Deuteranomalous Individual

My eldest little'un has just started getting into programming (mostly Python), and has shown some interest in the embedded software world (I have an mbed board knocking about which I mess around with from time to time; nothing fancy). I figured the Raspberry Pi would be a gentler and more fun introduction for a child than, say, an Arduino or mbed, and the price was quite reasonable.

No specific projects planned at this stage, though. How about you?
Old 13th April 2012, 11:07 AM   #5
CynicalSkeptic
Graduate Poster

Yeah the price is very reasonable. I don't have any projects in mind, so I haven't ordered one.

In fact I can't think of a damn thing I'd want to do with it that I wouldn't just do on my PC first. If I had something useful that I wanted say 10 of, then they'd be great.
CynicalSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2012, 04:44 AM   #6
AgeGap
Master Poster

I plan to get one. Whatever my intentions now are does not really matter. It will probably end up as some sort of media box.
Intend to use it for Python/PyGame. I expect a few more articles in the Linux magazines. Also books from Apress or O'Reilly etc.
Seen vids of games and XBMC running.
When I was sixteen I was playing on a Spectrum. I hope my kids will get a kick from the RaspPi.
AgeGap is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2012, 01:33 PM   #7
uruk
Philosopher

Location: In the land of the Shatner stealing Mexico touchers
I ordered one awhile back.

I plan to use it to run an army of ninja assasin sex bots.

Seriously, I plan to use it for robotic experimentation.

Abe Lincoln
uruk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2012, 02:48 AM   #8
NeilC
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by AgeGap View Post
When I was sixteen I was playing on a Spectrum. I hope my kids will get a kick from the RaspPi.
Thing is, when you were 16, people didn't routinely have PCs and laptops all over the house so a computer, even a lowly as a Spectrum or whatever was a very big deal. Now having a low powered computer isn't exactly ground breaking.

I quite fancy one but I'm blowed if I can think of anything I want to do with it.
NeilC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2012, 03:03 AM   #9
AgeGap
Master Poster

Originally Posted by NeilC View Post
Thing is, when you were 16, people didn't routinely have PCs and laptops all over the house so a computer, even a lowly as a Spectrum or whatever was a very big deal. Now having a low powered computer isn't exactly ground breaking.

I quite fancy one but I'm blowed if I can think of anything I want to do with it.
But think of the children!!!!

Alright, I am getting one cos I want one. I don't really spend much money on myself and saying "it's for the kids" eases my (legacy Catholic) guilt.
AgeGap is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2012, 01:23 AM   #10
richardm
Philosopher

Originally Posted by NeilC View Post
Thing is, when you were 16, people didn't routinely have PCs and laptops all over the house so a computer
This is what I don't understand re: selling them to schools to larn programming. Schools are full to the gunwales with computers and any one of them can be used to teach programming on. Why do they need dedicated devices? It's especially odd since one of the objections is that ICT isn't Computer Science, so they need to be shown the difference. By using a totally different machine to do it, to my mind they're still treating PCs as mysterious black boxes.

Quote:
Same here, although I note with some interest that the devices seem to be a lot more capable than I was expecting, and actually I might be able to see a practical use for it at home.
Rimmer: Look at her! Magnificent woman! Very prim, very proper, almost austere. Some people took her for cold, thought she was aloof. Not a bit of it. She just despised fools. Quite tragic, really, because otherwise I think we'd have got on famously.
richardm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2012, 01:45 AM   #11
Brian-M
Daydreamer

It's a neat little device but I have a better idea.

Replace the need for a boot SD-Card with a built-in ROM chip, build the whole thing into a cheap keyboard, include the power supply and cables with the unit, and sell it for $64.

They could call it the Raspberry 64. It could be the modern equivalent of a Commodore 64.
Old 27th April 2012, 05:04 PM   #12
AgeGap
Master Poster

Originally Posted by richardm View Post
This is what I don't understand re: selling them to schools to larn programming. Schools are full to the gunwales with computers and any one of them can be used to teach programming on.
Parents could be forced to buy them and then kids could take the SD cards home to do homework on. At a push they could tale the Pi home.

Brian-M. Not a bad idea although I like the SD card idea. I think the Raspberry needs some kind of box to be. I have seen a drive caddy made from cardboard so perhaps something similar. Perhaps even novelty caddies such as retro consoles or computers.

There are vids on YouTube of the RP running Quake 3. It is a do all machine running games like it was a Dreamcast/PS2. Perhaps it is too powerful.
Old 27th April 2012, 05:20 PM   #13
GodMark2
Graduate Poster

This is what I don't understand re: selling them to schools to larn programming. Schools are full to the gunwales with computers and any one of them can be used to teach programming on. Why do they need dedicated devices?
The idea is to have a cheap computer that the student doesn't have to worry about destroying. They can mess with any part of the software, including the OS, however they want, and have an SD card with the factory defaults ready in case they investigate a bit too energetically.

It also has hardware input/output pins that can be connected to whatever devices you want, motors, touch switches, IR detectors, so the board can be used as a backbone for many of the experiments I wanted to do as a 12-year-old, but I couldn't, because our computer 'cost to much' and the ones that didn't, you still didn't know what all the connectors really did, because the manufacturer's didn't *want* you messing with their finely-crafted machine.

This isn't a computer meant to sit in a classroom and wait for students to file neatly into their rows of desks to listen to some old codger like myself pontificate about algorithms. This is a computer meant to live under a 12-year-old's bed, next to the rock collection and ant farm.
Old 27th April 2012, 05:37 PM   #14
Brian-M
Daydreamer

Originally Posted by AgeGap View Post
Brian-M. Not a bad idea although I like the SD card idea. I think the Raspberry needs some kind of box to be.
I was thinking you'd retain the SD card slot, so you could still use the SD card as a hard drive to save your files and personalized settings instead of always having a USB drive sticking awkwardly sticking out of the machine. With the ROM chip, if done properly, you could have very rapid boot time and it'd be virtually impossible to brick the machine. (No need to re-install the OS on the SD card because you've accidentally damaged system files, which could be a bit tricky for someone who doesn't own any other computer.)

It'd be pretty cool to have it built into a keyboard. Replace the number-pad with a touch-pad and you pretty much have a complete home computer that works straight out of the box for a tiny fraction of the size and price of a regular computer.

ETA: Ohhh. Just had an interesting idea. Install it in a case that's an exact replica of a Commodore 64, Atari 800 or similar old style computer and have an analogue joystick as the mouse controller. Sure, not a particularly practical idea, but it'd awesome. Just replace the cable connection slots with USB ports and the RF socket with a HDMI socket. Nobody would be able to see them because they're at the back. And maybe an optional external DVD drive disguised as a 5.25" floppy drive? (They're the same size.)

Last edited by Brian-M; 27th April 2012 at 07:23 PM.
Brian-M is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2012, 08:47 PM   #15
Mercurial Artism
Scholar

This seems really cool, especially since I'm a novice to computer programming, as I missed most of my Python lessons after the first couple weeks, and am the sort who tinkers with the important underlying bits of electronic equipment with sometimes detrimental effects. I don't have much money to throw around, so it seems like a great way to get started in computer programming.
Mercurial Artism is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2012, 02:10 AM   #16
richardm
Philosopher

Originally Posted by GodMark2 View Post
The idea is
Well yes that does make a lot of sense
Rimmer: Look at her! Magnificent woman! Very prim, very proper, almost austere. Some people took her for cold, thought she was aloof. Not a bit of it. She just despised fools. Quite tragic, really, because otherwise I think we'd have got on famously.
richardm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2012, 05:48 PM   #17
GodMark2
Graduate Poster

Well yes that does make a lot of sense
Yeah, I learned a lot more from my Z80 do-it-yourself computer kit than from any professor. Of course, most of what I learned was first aid procedures for soldering iron burns. This new kit should at least keep the kids for being scarred for life (at least physically, we all know the scars one gets from looking too long into the abyss of code).
Old 1st May 2012, 01:20 AM   #18
NeilC
Graduate Poster

if ordered one. Now I just need to think of a use for it.
NeilC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2012, 05:47 AM   #19
Eddie Dane
Illuminator

Can you just pop an SD card with Puppy in it, hook up a external hard drive and use it as a media player?
Eddie Dane is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2012, 05:51 AM   #20
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante

Originally Posted by Eddie Dane View Post
Can you just pop an SD card with Puppy in it, hook up a external hard drive and use it as a media player?
I would think so, or use it as a player for remotely held media files. E.g. stick one on the back of each TV, and play things from a media server.

ETA: Looks like you can't do it yet, but should be able to soon.

Quote:
At the moment there are three operating systems compatible with the Raspberry Pi. (later there will be a fourth and fifth, Puppy Linux and RiscOS) The three current operating systems are Debian Linux, Fedora (Remix) Linux, and Arch Linux. Right now Fedora is buggy and Arch is too advanced for most beginners. Even when Fedora becomes less buggy, I recommend Debian as it can be configured to be very user friendly. (Although Fedora can too.)
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232

Last edited by zooterkin; 1st May 2012 at 05:57 AM.
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2012, 10:35 PM   #21
Alareth
Expert Expertologist

Live demo of XBMC running on a pi

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the JREF. The JREF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak
Alareth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2012, 08:02 AM   #22
Ocelot
Illuminator

I registered my interest in RasPi with RS on the morning of the 29th February. I got email updates through March and April then silence.

Last week I email RS to ask what happened to my registration after a couple of days they emailed me back to say I needed to email a different address. No they didn't cc that address. Resending the message was left to me. So I did so.

A couple of days later I got sent a FAQ which they assured me would deal with 90% of all enquiries, and if it didn't deal with my enquiry I should reply with a special code in the subject line that would mean that someone would actually read my email. So I did so.

Today I got my access code to enable me to place an order. So I did so.

I'm now told that I should receive the RasPi I tried to order in February sometime before mid September.

Objectively speaking this has to rank up there as some of the worst customer service I have ever received. Yet for reasons I have trouble explaining, I'm stupidly excited and bear the company no ill will for the way they've treated me.

This must be what it's like being a apple fanboi.
Old 28th June 2012, 08:11 AM   #23
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante

Mine arrived a couple of days ago. Haven't had a chance to play with it yet.
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2012, 08:29 AM   #24
Ocelot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
Mine arrived a couple of days ago. Haven't had a chance to play with it yet.
I'm giving you the narrow eyes.
Old 29th June 2012, 05:06 AM   #25
Eddie Dane
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
I registered my interest in RasPi with RS on the morning of the 29th February. I got email updates through March and April then silence.

Last week I email RS to ask what happened to my registration after a couple of days they emailed me back to say I needed to email a different address. No they didn't cc that address. Resending the message was left to me. So I did so.

A couple of days later I got sent a FAQ which they assured me would deal with 90% of all enquiries, and if it didn't deal with my enquiry I should reply with a special code in the subject line that would mean that someone would actually read my email. So I did so.

Today I got my access code to enable me to place an order. So I did so.

I'm now told that I should receive the RasPi I tried to order in February sometime before mid September.

Objectively speaking this has to rank up there as some of the worst customer service I have ever received. Yet for reasons I have trouble explaining, I'm stupidly excited and bear the company no ill will for the way they've treated me.

This must be what it's like being a apple fanboi.
Is it an Italian product? That would explain a lot.
You're lucky you didn't get an emotional mail about how the factory had a fire and the director's mother is in the hospital to explain the delay.
Eddie Dane is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2012, 05:20 AM   #26
leon_heller
Graduate Poster

Mine was delivered last week. I wasn't able to get a power supply for it until earlier this week, and it won't work with the USB keyboard I bought from a local computer shop. I've ordered a different keyboard, which is one which is supposed to work with it (there is a problem with some keyboards).
Old 29th June 2012, 05:47 AM   #27
Ocelot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Eddie Dane View Post
Is it an Italian product? That would explain a lot.
You're lucky you didn't get an emotional mail about how the factory had a fire and the director's mother is in the hospital to explain the delay.
Italian? Not at all sir, not at all. It's British, better than that, it's English. We English wouldn't show any emotion at something as trivial as our mother in hospital not in public anyway. Goodness man that sort of talk could bring an end to the empire. Stiff upper lip, Keep calm and prattle on. Pip pip old fruit pip pip.
Old 29th June 2012, 09:19 AM   #28
leon_heller
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by leon_heller View Post
Mine was delivered last week. I wasn't able to get a power supply for it until earlier this week, and it won't work with the USB keyboard I bought from a local computer shop. I've ordered a different keyboard, which is one which is supposed to work with it (there is a problem with some keyboards).
The keyboard arrived this morning and has solved the problem. If anyone else has similar problems, it's a Trust ClassicLine. The 5 keyboards sold by Asda also work, apparently.
Old 6th July 2012, 02:00 AM   #29
Worm
Graduate Poster

Mine worked (literally) out of the box. Now got it hooked up to the router running off my Kindle charger and fiddling about with different setups. (ans got a nice clear acrylic case for it to stop me damaging it with my big clumsy mitts)

Probably going to use it as some sort of NAS/Media server, but other thoughts might occur to me. Of course one of the strengths is you can install various setups on different SD cards and just swap them out to change use.

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2012, 05:46 AM   #30
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Mine has been ordered.
Old 7th July 2012, 04:31 AM   #31
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante

Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
I'm giving you the narrow eyes.

I've just been playing with it this morning. Installing the Debian Squeeze image was a doddle.

Then OpenElec (a dedicated XBMC release) was also simple, once I found these instructions for installing from Windows. (I'm by no means a novice at computing, but I'm constantly frustrated at the lack of clear documentation for installing things like this.)

Then found the iplayer extension, which works pretty well (though not such a pretty interface as the regular iplayer), if you're in the UK.
Old 9th July 2012, 03:12 AM   #32
Worm
Graduate Poster

Good find on the instructions for OpenElec, I've been looking at that myself but not taken the leap yet. Mrs Worm is hopefully getting me a couple of SD cards today so I can image different setups and swap them into the Pi as I need.

So far I've got omxplayer working nicely, accessing files from my NAS and playing them over HDMI to my TV which is very nice, if a limited interface. Also got get_iplayer and youtube-dl which download iplayer and youtube files respectively.

get_iplayer is very handy for those of us with limited bandwidth. I downloaded the whole series of 'The Paras' yesterday in my off-peak allowance so I can watch them as I wish.

Have had a couple of issues with the Pi disappearing from the network (it's a straight cable into the router) but a hard reboot seems to resolve it. A little puzzling though.

Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2012, 01:08 PM   #33
Worm
Graduate Poster

OpenElec installed and working beautifully. Lovely cheap process to XBMC

Old 10th July 2012, 11:29 AM   #34
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Allied says 12 weeks til I get mine. Must be either huge demand or short supply.
Old 11th July 2012, 01:33 AM   #35
Ocelot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by BenBurch View Post
Allied says 12 weeks til I get mine. Must be either huge demand or short supply.
Six of one 00000110 of the other.
Old 16th July 2012, 08:55 AM   #36
uruk
Philosopher

Location: In the land of the Shatner stealing Mexico touchers
Finally got mine from Element 14!!
Love those GIPO Pins!

Also have the acrylic case and GIPO Breakout kit on order from adafruit!

Abe Lincoln

Last edited by uruk; 16th July 2012 at 09:03 AM.
uruk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2012, 12:06 AM   #37
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Originally Posted by uruk View Post
Finally got mine from Element 14!!
Love those GIPO Pins!

Also have the acrylic case and GIPO Breakout kit on order from adafruit!
Be very careful with those - I can imagine they don't have too much ESD protection on them.
Old 28th July 2012, 09:43 AM   #38
mummymonkey
Did you spill my pint?

Pi in the sky:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/1620
Old 29th July 2012, 12:11 AM   #39
OnlyTellsTruths

Originally Posted by mummymonkey View Post
Wow that is cool!

Perhaps the coolest part is he was able to recover it, and it was unharmed!
Old 31st July 2012, 02:42 PM   #40
AgeGap
Master Poster

Originally Posted by BenBurch View Post
Linux Format says there is a five day wait now.

Who wants something free? MagPi magazine. All 4.5 issues

JREF Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet