JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Old 18th April 2012, 12:33 PM   #1
Spaghetti
Scholar

Heart has greater Electric activity than Brain

Hi, this statement has been circulating around on Facebook and to me it doesn't sound true, and I cannot find any real science (besides "energy health" websites) to support the claim. Does anyone know the truth behind this?

Quote:
The human Heart is now documented as the strongest generator of both electrical and magnetic fields in the body. Important, because we've always been taught that the brain is where all of the action is. While the brain does have an electrical & a magnetic field, they are both relatively weak compared to the Heart. The Heart is about 100,000 times stronger electrically & up to 5,000 times stronger magnetically than the brain. Important, because the physical world - as we know it - is made of those 2 fields: electrical & magnetic fields of Energy. Physics now tells us that if we can change either the magnetic field or the electrical field of the atom, we literally change that atom and its elements within our body and this world. The human Heart is designed to do BOTH. ~David Math, TruSparta
Spaghetti is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2012, 12:57 PM   #2
RobDegraves
Muse

Yeah.. just saw that, and it's pretty damn stupid.

It is true that the heart and brain both have a magnetic field, and that the heart has a stronger magnetic field than the brain.

It's also true that some scientists can use magnets, in a roundabout fashion, to change atoms and elements.

However, the conclusion is ridiculous.

In scientific terms, the brain and heart's magnetic field is described as really, really, really weak.

Again in complex scientific terms, the magnets one might use to affect atoms in that way are best described as freakin ginormously powerful.

I hope you have a better understanding despite my complex technical jargon.
RobDegraves is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2012, 02:19 PM   #3
casebro
Philosopher

Lessee how it works- the brain sends the message to beat to the heart. The heart beats, after receiving the electricity from the brain. Electriciy flows in a circuit/circle, brain to heart and back. I don't see how the heart could have 100,000 times the electrical energy of the brain.

Some have called me cynical, but I don't believe them.

It's not how many breaths you take. It's how many times you have been breathless that counts.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2012, 02:35 PM   #4
TubbaBlubba
Knave of the Dudes

The magnetic field is also affected by things like shape of the object, and the direction of current in it.

Furthermore, the magnetic field, as it happens, is just the relativistic effects of the electric. So there aren't really two fields, fundamentally.

Of course, when you do the math, it's usually easier to consider them separate.
Old 18th April 2012, 02:38 PM   #5
TubbaBlubba
Knave of the Dudes

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
Lessee how it works- the brain sends the message to beat to the heart. The heart beats, after receiving the electricity from the brain. Electriciy flows in a circuit/circle, brain to heart and back. I don't see how the heart could have 100,000 times the electrical energy of the brain.
Actually, it's perfectly possible. The electric field, I believe, is (mostly) generated by the synapses at the end point, triggered by a neural signal. Given that the heart is a very powerful muscle, it probably has a lot of nerve endings that can be triggered by the brain's signals.

It's a bit like saying, oh, if you have a remote control, it has to be able to generate at least as much power as whatever it is controlling, which is clearly absurd.
Old 18th April 2012, 02:43 PM   #6
Professor Yaffle
Butterbeans and Breadcrumbs

Possibly comes from something like this?

Quote:
Research has also revealed that the heart communicates information to
the brain and throughout the body via electromagnetic field interactions. The
heart generates the body’s most powerful and most extensive rhythmic
electromagnetic field. The heart’s magnetic component is about 500 times
stronger than the brain’s magnetic field and can be detected several feet away
from the body. It was proposed that, this heart field acts as a carrier wave for
information that provides a global synchronizing signal for the entire body
(McCraty, Bradley & Tomasino, 2004)
http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/pdf/Heart,%...ed%20Salem.pdf
Professor Yaffle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2012, 02:52 PM   #7
jojonete

Here's my personal rewriting of the quote in the OP:

Quote:
The electric Engine is now documented as the strongest generator of both electrical and magnetic fields in the whole train. Important, because we've always been taught that the driver's control panel is where all of the action is. While the control panel does have an electrical & a magnetic field, they are both relatively weak compared to the Engine. The Engine is about 100,000 times stronger electrically & up to 5,000 times stronger magnetically than the control panel. Important, because the physical world - as we know it - is made of those 2 fields: electrical & magnetic fields of Energy. Physics now tells us that if we can change either the magnetic field or the electrical field of the atom, we literally change that atom and its elements within the train and this world. The train Engine is designed to do BOTH.

Doesn't sound so impressive now, does it?

Last edited by jojonete; 18th April 2012 at 02:53 PM.
jojonete is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2012, 03:01 PM   #8
Brown
Penultimate Amazing

In order to understand this issue, one needs to understand how the electrical signals in the human body (across synapses, by action potentials propagated by ion exchange across a membrane, through gap junctions) are conveyed and what kind of voltage ranges are involved.

"Don't you get me wrong. I only want to know." -- Judas in Jesus Christ Superstar, lyrics by Tim Rice
Brown is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2012, 03:06 PM   #9
Spaghetti
Scholar

Originally Posted by Professor Yaffle View Post
Possibly comes from something like this?

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/pdf/Heart,%...ed%20Salem.pdf
Have you read the conclusion to that article? It talks about the spirit, hardly scientific.

The reference comes back to this original:

http://media.noetic.org/uploads/files/s5_mccraty.pdf

A quote from this:

Quote:
In Attitude Breathing, you focus on your heart and solar
plexus as you breathe a positive attitude. The heart will
automatically harmonize the energy between the heart, mind
and body, increasing coherence and clarity
It all sounds like a huge amount of woo. Nowhere can I find any actual science to support the claims made.
Spaghetti is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2012, 04:28 AM   #10
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TubbaBlubba View Post
Actually, it's perfectly possible. The electric field, I believe, is (mostly) generated by the synapses at the end point, triggered by a neural signal. Given that the heart is a very powerful muscle, it probably has a lot of nerve endings that can be triggered by the brain's signals.

It's a bit like saying, oh, if you have a remote control, it has to be able to generate at least as much power as whatever it is controlling, which is clearly absurd.
The 'electrical' signal comes from the very small osmotic differential between the 'charged' neuron and the 'neutral neuron. There is a wave of depolarization that travels down the axon, but again the difference is very small.

Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2012, 05:49 PM   #11
xtifr
Graduate Poster

Even if we accept the premise, all it does is show that the brain makes much more effective use of its electricity!

From the word "Important" on, the original quote looks like nonsense.
xtifr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2012, 09:56 AM   #12
Cuddles
Decoy

Location: A magical land full of pink fluffy sheeps and bunnies
While most of the quote is just plain gibberish, I wouldn't be particularly surprised if the heart generates a stronger electric field than the brain. The starter motor in my car generates one hell of a stronger field than anything in my PC. What exactly is that supposed to prove? The heart uses a relatively strong electric field to kick a lump of muscle into action, the brain uses a complex network of relatively weak electric fields to post gibberish on the internet. Which one is more important? Try removing either one and see how well that goes*.

* NB - I don't actually recommend removing your brain or heart**.

** I'm not so fussed about courage.
Old 20th April 2012, 10:14 AM   #13
RobRoy
Not A Mormon

The problem stems from the fact that we have two definitions for “heart”. First is the anatomical/biological description of the pump in our chest that helps keeps us alive and whatnot. Second is the more amorphous concept of the “heart” as the emotional and intuitive center of an individual’s personality. That we think using our brain, currently, is never in question. But that we feel, using our heart, is just poetic silliness. Yet, this kind of “heart is stronger than brain” concept is one that is both understandable and, well, poetic.

Using some kind, any kind, of science to prove that the heart is stronger than the brain plays against the modern bias toward a person’s feelings, emotions, and intuition being a better gauge for how to live than the logical, detached, unemotional brain. That’s obviously nonsense in the analysis, but on the surface, it’s something we’ve been trained through the cultural mosaic to accept.

Far an taine n abhainn, s ann as m a fuaim.

All your base are belong to us.
RobRoy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

JREF Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology