JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Old 6th May 2012, 03:42 PM   #1
Johnny Brant
Suspended

Do we really want the Olympics?

The London Olympics are costing 9.3 billion GB pounds (about 13 billion US dollars), couldn't the cash be spent on better things?
Do we really care if somebody can run faster than somebody else, or that somebody can throw something further?
Anyway, most athletes are pumped-up freaks full of performance-enhancing drugs, making the Olympics an empty hollow charade.
Am i alone in wanting the Olympics slung onto the garbage dump of history from now on and forgotten?
Johnny Brant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2012, 03:51 PM   #2
Ranb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Johnny Brant View Post
Am i alone in wanting the Olympics slung onto the garbage dump of history from now on and forgotten?
I'm sure you are not alone, but you are in the minority.

Ranb
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2012, 03:56 PM   #3
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, we want the Olympics.

Next.

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2012, 03:59 PM   #4
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Anyway, most athletes are pumped-up freaks full of performance-enhancing drugs, making the Olympics an empty hollow charade.
Evidence for this claim?

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2012, 04:09 PM   #5
Johnny Brant
Suspended

18 junkies were caught at the 2008 Olympics, but no doubt many more went undetected because they had better doctors.
Then there are loads more who are caught out at sporting events outside the Olympics.
As the champion cyclist Fausto Coppi once said- "I only took drugs when i had to, which was almost always"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Use_of_..._Olympic_Games

9.3 billion quid would go a long way to feeding starving Africans..
Johnny Brant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2012, 04:27 PM   #6
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

Don't know how much of this applies to Londoners, but I joined many Chicagoans in breathing a sigh of relief when we didn't get to host the 2016 ones. Theoretically, the money is a good investment because we get back more in economic activity from the games. People debate this, but even if it is true I wouldn't expect the people to be seeing the benefit of that money. Our reputation for corruption is not without a reason.

Here are four takes on the impact of such events. Over-budgeting and over-projecting seem to be common problems.

I think that funding sport is not the role of any level of government. We can have pride and a sense of community when we stop our kids from being shot every weekend.
Old 6th May 2012, 05:59 PM   #7
angrysoba
Philosophile

The Olympics should consist of one event, the 100 metres. All other events are just padding.
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2012, 06:02 PM   #8
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

It's a bit late to be asking now, don't you think?
Jadey (in RvB game thread): I just want to take a moment to commend Arth on his role as Parasitic Alien Tumor. I think he really connected with the character and there were times when I forgot that he was just acting. That's the kind of talent that you can't teach.
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2012, 06:02 PM   #9
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

18 junkies were caught at the 2008 Olympics, but no doubt many more went undetected because they had better doctors.
Then there are loads more who are caught out at sporting events outside the Olympics.
As the champion cyclist Fausto Coppi once said- "I only took drugs when i had to, which was almost always"

It can also entertain hundreds of millions of people. So yes, we want the Olympics.

The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2012, 07:05 PM   #10
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

The same pressures that make politicians spend incontinently are also behind getting the Olympics.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2012, 07:06 PM   #11
Seismosaurus
Illuminator

Nope. I have no interest in it, and the nicest thing about it is that in this modern age of hundreds of channels, it will be extremely easy to avoid watching a single second of it. I suppose it's nice that London will get all sorts of new sporting facilities, for the few that will actually end up using them.

Just out of curiosity, I took a look at the 100 m sprint times for the last Olympics. In a year where the winner of that race set a new world record, the difference between 1st and 2nd place was 0.2 seconds. The difference between 1st and 10th was 0.34 seconds. Is it really worth getting impressed about that a man is a third of a second faster than his contemporaries? I don't think so.
Old 6th May 2012, 07:38 PM   #12
Johnny Brant
Suspended

Originally Posted by The Central Scrutinizer View Post
It can also entertain hundreds of millions of people. So yes, we want the Olympics.
9.3 billion smackeroos would also feed a lot of starving people
Old 6th May 2012, 07:51 PM   #13
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Who is we? It is definitely not the set of all human beings on Earth - so it must be some subset that A)knows the Olympics exists and B)has a sufficiently negative attitude about them that they want them to no longer occur. My suspicion is that is a minority of the people aware of their existance- so I would not try to get a vote on it.

As a side point, I have never eaten a smackaroo, but if I understand the term correctly I doubt most people would choose to eat one, much less 9.3 billion. Most of us prefer real food.

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2012, 08:05 PM   #14
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

The Sydney Olympics were a blast. When the time comes, people in the UK will get into party mode.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2012, 08:16 PM   #15
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

How does 18 cheats equate to "most athletes"?

Quote:

Again you haven't provided evidence that "most athletes" are using drugs.

Quote:
after which you'd be throwing another 9.3 billion quid at it. Africa's issues won't be solved by throwing money at the problem, we've been doing that for the past 25+ years...

I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.

Last edited by PhantomWolf; 6th May 2012 at 08:19 PM.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2012, 08:19 PM   #16
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

The London Olympics are costing 9.3 billion GB pounds (about 13 billion US dollars), couldn't the cash be spent on better things?
Do we really care if somebody can run faster than somebody else, or that somebody can throw something further?
Evidence?
Old 6th May 2012, 08:22 PM   #17
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Got anything more up to date than a guy who retired over 50 years ago?

18 positive tests out of 11,028 athletes does not fit any reasonable definition of most.
Old 6th May 2012, 08:24 PM   #18
roger
Penultimate Amazing

Instead, that money will go to all the people building stadiums, hauling cement, TV camera operators, restauranteurs, grocery stores, loggers, truckers, IT personnel, advertiser copy writers, utility workers, garbage men, printing shops, ...... What a colossal waste!

I.e., we aren't just burning the money.

Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves. - John Muir
roger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2012, 08:28 PM   #19
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by roger View Post
Instead, that money will go to all the people building stadiums, hauling cement, TV camera operators, restauranteurs, grocery stores, loggers, truckers, IT personnel, advertiser copy writers, utility workers, garbage men, printing shops, ...... What a colossal waste!

What we aren't.... Bob, put a hold on those furnaces we ordered for London!

Actually the same thing happens with the Space Program. People say "Think about the starving people we could feed with the money instead of sending it all into space." They don't seem to realise that the money never leaves Earth, it goes towards the salaries of the engineers, operators, drivers, astronauts, admin..... etc who then spend it on food and other things in the economy. The 9.6 Billion that has been spent on the Oympics is going directly into the UK economy via the worker's salaries and those of the contractors, as will the money from the tourism that comes with it.

My Apollo Page.
Old 6th May 2012, 08:38 PM   #20
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

It would also entertain hundreds of millions of people, myself included.

Old 6th May 2012, 08:42 PM   #21
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Not only that, but it's an idiotic argument to start with. I remember my grandma complaining about the cost of sending men to the Moon, and how many starving children in China/Africa/Australia that money could feed. We've spent hundreds of millions of dollars trying to find a cure for cancer, but have mostly failed. Think of how many starving Africans that money could feed.

Old 6th May 2012, 08:47 PM   #22
nvidiot
Botanical Jedi

I don't agree with the op, but you don't get enough entertainment?
Old 6th May 2012, 08:55 PM   #23
slingblade

I like the Olympics. I like to watch many of the events.

So, no, I'm not in the wee We minority.
slingblade is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2012, 08:56 PM   #24
shadron
Philosopher

Presuming you could get the Olympics stopped, what do your think would be:

- the chances of getting that much spent on feeding Africans? Or would you just dump it all into a European NASCAR circuit?
- your estimated net rate of return as compared to the Olympics?
shadron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2012, 09:00 PM   #25
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by shadron View Post

- the chances of getting that much spent on feeding Africans? Or would you just dump it all into a European NASCAR circuit?
Net rate of return of feeding lots of Africans would be zero.

Net rate of return on the Olympics will probably be less than zero as costs mount up more and London is stuck with a few white elephants.

Still it's good to know that we can all splurge even in times of austerity. I hope the IOC committee members get plenty of lapdances and Columbian marching powder for our money because if there is anything that should be "socialized" or subsidized it is junkets for useless bureaucrats.
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2012, 09:04 PM   #26
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by nvidiot View Post
I don't agree with the op, but you don't get enough entertainment?
Nope.

Old 6th May 2012, 09:10 PM   #27
Sam.I.Am
Illuminator

1) The IOC has some very draconian drug testing rules (marijuana is a performance enhancing drug? Really?) and their doctors are well trained in finding people trying to do all sorts of things that they consider cheating. I'm actually surprised that 18 people would even try to cheat that way given the stakes if they get caught and how easy it is to get caught.

2) The message of the Olympics is and always has been world peace (it's why the Dove always plays a fairly prominent role in the opening and closing ceremonies and why the opening speech always calls for a cease of worldwide hostilities during the games). Why are you against world peace? Did your parents feed you too much Gerbers when you were first eating solid foods?

3) As it has already been pointed out, much of the money spent stays inside the hosting country and it is expected that the taxes collected from the events (restaurants, hotels, transportation, other non-Olympic tourist activities) and the later usage fees of the venues after the Olympics will cover the governments costs in the end and might even make them a profit.

4) Millions of people around the world do watch and enjoy the spectacle of sport that the Olympics provides and like it or not that too has value that might not be measurable just in dollars.

About my avatar.
Sam.I.Am is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2012, 09:16 PM   #28
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Sam.I.Am View Post
1) The IOC has some very draconian drug testing rules (marijuana is a performance enhancing drug? Really?) and their doctors are well trained in finding people trying to do all sorts of things that they consider cheating. I'm actually surprised that 18 people would even try to cheat that way given the stakes if they get caught and how easy it is to get caught.
Yeah, I'd like to test the IOC for drugs! I bet we'd find a few!

Quote:
2) The message of the Olympics is and always has been world peace (it's why the Dove always plays a fairly prominent role in the opening and closing ceremonies and why the opening speech always calls for a cease of worldwide hostilities during the games). Why are you against world peace? Did your parents feed you too much Gerbers when you were first eating solid foods?
Are you some kind of wuss? Who wants world peace?

Quote:
3) As it has already been pointed out, much of the money spent stays inside the hosting country and it is expected that the taxes collected from the events (restaurants, hotels, transportation, other non-Olympic tourist activities) and the later usage fees of the venues after the Olympics will cover the governments costs in the end and might even make them a profit.
I'd rather it all went into the NHS or something.

Quote:
4) Millions of people around the world do watch and enjoy the spectacle of sport that the Olympics provides and like it or not that too has value that might not be measurable just in dollars.
Why should I subsidize their fun? It's my money!!!

And if you can't measure happiness in dollars (or pounds, please, we're British!) then what can you measure it in? Moonbeams?!?!?!?

Sounds a bit woo to me.
Old 6th May 2012, 09:45 PM   #29
JJM 777
Illuminator

Yes.

Do we really care if somebody can run faster than somebody else
Yes.

, or that somebody can throw something further?
No.

Yes.

Yes you are.
JJM 777 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2012, 09:52 PM   #30
Elizabeth I
Olympic Equestrian Wannabe

I will say that since they let the pros in I don't have much interest in the Olympics any more.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. - Winston Churchill
Never wrestle with a pig - you just get dirty and the pig enjoys it.
My blog: Pardon me, may I ask...
Elizabeth I is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2012, 10:07 PM   #31
Matthew Best
Illuminator

Do we really want the Olympics?

Yes, can't wait.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2012, 10:47 PM   #32
slingblade

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Are you some kind of wuss? Who wants world peace?
I'm all about the whirled peas.
slingblade is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2012, 11:01 PM   #33
BravesFan
Banned

Yes we want the Olympics, as I live in the southern USA How else can I see curling every 4 years?
BravesFan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2012, 11:18 PM   #34
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

But the question remains if this 9 billion dollar project is better than another 9 billion dollar project. This one will help certain firms and certain employees after a certain amount of profit and for a certain short length of time. It is not the long term or fundamental benefit that a big project like, say, clean public transit, revamping public education, etc. could bring.

That is to say, there is a difference between paying twenty workers to dig random holes and paying twenty workers to dig the foundation of a building.
Old 6th May 2012, 11:19 PM   #35
Tanja
Comfortably Numb

I am a Londoner, and I love the fact we are hosting the Olympics. Can't wait for the Olympics to start. A couple of my friends are participating in the opening ceremony - thousands and thousands of volunteers like them are practicing for several hours every week. Some people I know have been participating in various "clean London" projects - doing a spring clean of streets, canals, railways etc. So, most people I know are very excited, and many are volunteering their time to help the effort.
Tanja is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2012, 11:22 PM   #36
tomwaits
Master Poster

I love the Olympics. Not sure if I would want them in Chicago, but I guess I could use the opportunity to rent out my apartment to make a quick buck.
tomwaits is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2012, 11:34 PM   #37
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

If the Olympics were happening in my home city, I'd probably try and find some excuse to go somewhere else for two weeks. But while there I'd catch a few events on TV. Some fencing or archery, hopefully.
Jadey (in RvB game thread): I just want to take a moment to commend Arth on his role as Parasitic Alien Tumor. I think he really connected with the character and there were times when I forgot that he was just acting. That's the kind of talent that you can't teach.
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2012, 11:38 PM   #38
Mashuna
Ovis ex Machina

Don't call it off now, I've got tickets!
Mashuna is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2012, 11:38 PM   #39
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Originally Posted by shadron View Post

Why on earth would Europeans want NASCAR when Formula 1, The European Le Mans Series, the various Carrera Cups, British Touring Cars and Deutsche Tourenwagen Masters exist?
Old 6th May 2012, 11:48 PM   #40
GlennB
Cereal pedant

Definitely keep the Olympics, but trim off quite a lot of the junk sports. It's become horribly bloated. And I will decide which is junk, thank you very much
GlennB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

JREF Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events