JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Tags ndes

Old 6th May 2012, 09:06 PM   #1
therival58
Critical Thinker

Question Near Death Experiences - Seeing the present while pronounced "dead"

Hey all,

I was wondering - can anyone name a documented case where someone who experienced a NDE recall events that occurred during the time they were pronounced "dead" and confirmed by witnesses?

(For example: a patient is pronounced "dead", and during that time lets say a doctor/witness writes something on a board or performs an action and then when the patient is revived, recalls what was written or what action was done.)

The reason I bring this up is because NDEs are a very puzzling concept for me who no longer believes in an afterlife, and I recall hearing/watching a video in which the above occurred but the name escapes me.

I'm not sure if I articulated the question in the clearest way so if anyone needs a clarification on what I'm asking please let me know.

Thanks!

Last edited by therival58; 6th May 2012 at 09:13 PM.
therival58 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2012, 09:52 PM   #2
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Does it have to be a live person?

I only ask because there are probably a lot more that didn't survive -- just statistically, you'd expect more of the dead to have had visions like that.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2012, 11:30 PM   #3
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Originally Posted by therival58 View Post
I was wondering - can anyone name a documented case where someone who experienced a NDE recall events that occurred during the time they were pronounced "dead" and confirmed by witnesses?
The evidence, such as it is, is anecdotal. There have been a couple of attempts to gather scientific evidence which have so far shown nothing.

Here's a good summary: http://www.skepdic.com/nde.html
Old 7th May 2012, 12:03 AM   #4
Rasmus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
No.

In fact, if you could get a reliable statement from a dead person, that would pretty much answer the question, wouldn't it?
Old 7th May 2012, 07:11 AM   #5
ExMinister
RSL Acolyte

You might find this interesting:

http://www.infidels.org/library/mode...ine/HNDEs.html

Very thorough and addresses several well-known NDE cases.
Old 7th May 2012, 08:27 AM   #6
therival58
Critical Thinker

I only ask because there are probably a lot more that didn't survive -- just statistically, you'd expect more of the dead to have had visions like that.
But see, those people who didn't survive would not have had a "near death" experience would they?

Last edited by therival58; 7th May 2012 at 08:32 AM.
therival58 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2012, 08:39 AM   #7
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by therival58 View Post
But see, those people who didn't survive would not have had a "near death" experience would they?
Well, they were probably near death before they died. On the other hand, I drive on the expressway, so I'm near death all the time. Sometimes, I'm just inches away. From my experience, "near death" includes a huge dose of adrenalin and some colorful language.

But while we are on the subject, has anyone had a "near birth" experience? I can't recall any.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2012, 08:41 AM   #8
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Rasmus View Post
No.

In fact, if you could get a reliable statement from a dead person, that would pretty much answer the question, wouldn't it?
It's tough. From what I understand, you can use torture, but then you can't rely on the info you get. I suspect there's some kind of non-disclosure statement in effect -- "They tell no tales."
Old 7th May 2012, 03:05 PM   #9
Jomante
Thinker

Originally Posted by Rasmus View Post
No.

It's tough. From what I understand, you can use torture, but then you can't rely on the info you get. I suspect there's some kind of non-disclosure statement in effect -- "They tell no tales."
Don't try. It's like beating a....dead horse.
Jomante is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2012, 06:00 PM   #10
Stomatopoda
Muse

If you want to study "near-death" experiences, just smoke some DMT. The trip reports are practically identical to NDE reports.
Stomatopoda is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2012, 02:55 AM   #11
Rasmus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Jomante View Post
Don't try. It's like beating a....dead horse.
If you have a horse that's dead anyway, you could make your dead person an offer they can't refuse...
Old 8th May 2012, 01:59 PM   #12
George152
Master Poster

Don't undertakers and grave diggers have constant near death experiences all the time??
Why hasn't any-one interviewed them ?
Old 8th May 2012, 02:15 PM   #13
wheunis
Thinker

Humor apart.

I wouldn't exactly categorize my own experience as near death; Nor would I advocate this as even proof of consciousness during coma.

I had a really bad motorcycle accident when I was young. I broke nearly every bone in the left side of my body.
I do not recall the accident, nor do I recall anything from that day at all.

I was comatose for 3 days. I had never been in that hospital, or any other medical facilty of any sort in that area.
When I woke up, the nurse was there. She was tending to the patient in the bed next to mine.
I asked as loud as I could, which hurt as hell as dry as my mouth was, for her to call Doctor Seebold.
She did exactly that.

I have always wondered how I knew the doctor's name at all. I never bothered to find out if he was my surgeon, attending doctor, or what exactly his involvement was with me during that time.
For all I know, during me awakening, I very well may have simply heard his name being called over the intercom/PA system. Did I hear the name in surgery or while comatose? Did I read his nameplate when he did his rounds?

/shrug.
No way of knowing.
And it doesn't bother me very much at all tbh.
wheunis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2012, 05:52 AM   #14
Hellbound
Abiogenic Spongiform

Well, coma is pretty far different from NDE. There's pretty good evidence that people can still be aware, on some level, even in a coma (depending on how deep the coma is, etc). Most likely you heard the Doctor's name several times while you were out.

NDEs are said to occur not during coma, but during an actual death. Of course, it's always a bit fuzzy just what is meant by "dead"...as far as I know there is no clear definition. Most of these stories refer to cardiac arrest: a stopping of the heart. But that won't kill you for a bit. I don't know of any NDE that has been shown to occur during a time of brain death, for example. Plus, there's no reliable way to determine if, for example, a person's experience actually occurred during the "dead" time frame, or if it occurred before or after as the body was shuttinndown/starting up.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2012, 11:44 AM   #15
Arouet
Thinker

I believe up to 30% of NDEs have been found to occur when the person was actually not in danger of dying but may have thought they were.

I'm not sure the studies comparing various drugs to NDEs are saying that they are exactly the same, but rather that they share certain elements and may involve similar brain functions. Certainly more study is needed.

The AWARE study currently going on by Dr. Sam Parnia purports to be the largest and most comprehensive study of NDEs to date - will be interesting to see what the findings are.
Old 9th May 2012, 11:56 AM   #16
truethat
Penultimate Amazing

Curious about something. I don't see why people would try to assume that NDE require a physical reality, obviously something is going on in the brain. Often there is this sense of "return" or revival, sometimes with a choice. I'm curious if this unusual reaction has to do with the brain choosing to shut down. Can the brain kill itself?

I'm curious if the brain can continue to "think" after the physical death of the body. How long does it exactly take for the brain to die.

Perhaps this NDE sensation is really the brain trying to figure out what to do?

― Julie Rugg, A Book Addict's Treasury
truethat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2012, 12:10 PM   #17
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Arouet View Post
I believe up to 30% of NDEs have been found to occur when the person was actually not in danger of dying but may have thought they were.
This is an important point. This is why I think you should only trust NDE's from those who died and remained dead. Barring that, it's just medical conjecture.
Old 9th May 2012, 01:09 PM   #18
Arouet
Thinker

haha, sure, but there clearly is something interesting going on that's worth studyng. Parnia's study should add to our understanding of them, one way or another! Remember, its more than just seeing if people report seeing the signs he's placed over the hospital bed, he's also monitoring what is going on in the brain during the NDE- should be interesting, whatever he finds!

JREF Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal