JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Tags mediums , noreen renier , psychic detectives , psychics

Old 11th July 2012, 01:41 AM   #1
Sherlock
Muse

TV Psychic actress Noreen Renier WIKI page removed

TV Psychic detective actress and weak book sales author Noreen Renier continues to suffer further axe chopping against her promotional self-marketing campaign. WIKI has deleted the site under her name which her followers kept entirely devoted to various positive-only spins of her paranormal claims. WIKI notes that the site "appears to fail WP:GNG, no in-depth coverage of this individual signifying independant notability."

This follows a local PBS FM station removing various untrue remarks referenced by Renier on its web site and deleting an option to hear her previous interview with those remarks. Various pro-paranormal web sites have also quietly removed references to Renier's "high credibility" since she lost her second appeal before a three-judge federal court in late April. The court agreed with an earlier federal court decision which cited Noreen Renier for having misled the court and not being a credible witness.

When the paranormal community begins to distant itself from one of its own highly recognized members. . .

Last edited by Sherlock; 11th July 2012 at 01:44 AM.
Sherlock is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2012, 01:43 AM   #2
malicus
Graduate Poster

Props to wiki and yourself
malicus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2012, 10:13 AM   #3
Magic 9-Ball
Hey, that's a good name
for a band!

She knew that would happen.
Old 11th July 2012, 11:01 AM   #4
madurobob
Philosopher

I've been having a debate recently with a colleague about deleting things on the internet. His take is that internet outlets - and especially media outlets - should not delete pages. They have a duty, he argues, to maintain a public record of what they "published" in the past on their website.

I've disagreed, saying we can't expect websites to maintain data that makes them look bad or opens them to possible legal risk. This wikipedia deletion is a case in point. I don't see how wikipedia could keep the page up given the problems with reliability.
Old 11th July 2012, 11:06 AM   #5
BowlOfRed
Muse

It's a wiki...is it really "deleted", or is it just not accessible as a standard page?

Is there a way to view the historical content that you could on a live page?
BowlOfRed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2012, 11:43 AM   #6
madurobob
Philosopher

Originally Posted by BowlOfRed View Post
It's a wiki...is it really "deleted", or is it just not accessible as a standard page?

Is there a way to view the historical content that you could on a live page?
I'm sure wikipedia has it saved internally, but thats not really the point. The point would be to have a public record. the wayback machine doesn't seem to have the active Noreen Renier page archived. The google cashed page is pretty slim, to
Old 11th July 2012, 11:54 AM   #7
Sherlock
Muse

Is it reasonable to save and re-post falsehoods without a clear distinction as to why such postings were removed as untrue? Should one be allowed to collect and re-post fictionalized World War II victories by Germany and Japan that never happened on the American Heritage web site, a military operations page, or Wiki?

Truth is too often a hard victory to win. Explaining that victory or weighing the reasons of the outcome is one thing. Re-posting a deceptive "marketing campaign" as it was originally without a side-bar of explanation presents a very slippery edge down a very slippery slope.
Sherlock is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2012, 12:57 PM   #8
BowlOfRed
Muse

Originally Posted by madurobob View Post
I'm sure wikipedia has it saved internally, but thats not really the point. The point would be to have a public record. the wayback machine doesn't seem to have the active Noreen Renier page archived. The google cashed page is pretty slim, to
I don't mean if they have it saved internally, I meant if it was accessible externally.

I'm used to source control systems where even when you "delete" a file, you don't delete anything. It's just a flag such that when you sync down the directory, it's removed. But you can always get a previous revision.

I'm asking here if "deleting" the page just means that it's not easily accessible as a live object, but there's still some way to view the history of the page.

It seems odd to me that deleting the page means removing access to the history.
BowlOfRed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2012, 08:30 PM   #9
madurobob
Philosopher

Originally Posted by BowlOfRed View Post
I'm asking here if "deleting" the page just means that it's not easily accessible as a live object, but there's still some way to view the history of the page.
Yep, thats what I meant as well. Wikipedia "unpublishes" the page and that makes it unavailable to the public in general. They have it internally and maybe even wiki editors can access it. But, not the general public.

JREF Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal