JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Old 24th August 2012, 08:15 AM   #81
davefoc
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
It was 2 or 3 years ago that three of Lance's samples from 1999 were found positive for EPO, but the time limit had passed for sanctions.
What is your source of information for this claim?

Perfection is the enemy of good enough -- Russian proverb
davefoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2012, 08:23 AM   #82
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Originally Posted by chillzero View Post
I'd like to echo this question:
Both. Here is the full WADA list:
http://www.wada-ama.org/Documents/Wo...st_2012_EN.pdf
Old 24th August 2012, 08:26 AM   #83
Resume
Philosopher

Originally Posted by davefoc View Post
http://www2.lequipe.fr/redirect-v6/h...MSTRONG_2.html

Here's one; yeah, I can't read it either.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2012, 08:28 AM   #84
chillzero
Domestic Godless

Originally Posted by Damien Evans View Post
Both. Here is the full WADA list:
http://www.wada-ama.org/Documents/Wo...st_2012_EN.pdf
thank you.
This probably covers what I was wondering about:
Quote:
Any pharmacological substance which is not addressed by any of the subsequent sections of the List and with no current approval by any governmental regulatory health authority for human therapeutic use (e.g drugs under pre-clinical or clinical development or discontinued, designer drugs, veterinary medicines) is prohibited at all times.
chillzero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2012, 08:30 AM   #85
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Who would you believe?
Someone who provides credible evidence.
Old 24th August 2012, 08:32 AM   #86
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

I can't read it either, but I will point out L'Equipe have a reputation for making accusations against Lance that don't often turn out to eventuate.
Old 24th August 2012, 08:33 AM   #87
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante

With blood doping (saving your own blood for later use) it's important to be accurate. You're safe as long as you don't take too much and bust the red cell level on the test.
Actually, I believe they can detect it now by looking for the chemicals that keep the plastic that blood bags are made from supple.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2012, 08:34 AM   #88
geni
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

Has the USADA started down the path of investigating every major American athlete that competed before the current level of drug testing expertise was achieved? This will be interesting, if that is what they have in mind. An athlete never knows whether he has won or lost. The results are kept in limbo as each year the athlete's samples are retested using the best technology current for that year. So some athlete that thought he got an Olympic bronze medal ten years ago finds out that after years of submitting his samples for testing the USADA has finally stumbled on a test that produces a positive result and the athlete is stripped of his medal. What total and complete nonsense.
But thats how cycling works. A few days racing then the wait for the drug testing results to come in.
geni is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2012, 08:34 AM   #89
Resume
Philosopher

Someone who provides credible evidence.
His teammates?
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2012, 08:35 AM   #90
Resume
Philosopher

I can't read it either, but I will point out L'Equipe have a reputation for making accusations against Lance that don't often turn out to eventuate.
Sure, they have an angle like anyone else in this fiasco.
Old 24th August 2012, 08:36 AM   #91
Marcus
Graduate Poster

It started out as a story in Le'Equipe in 2005 but was picked up by the international media. The claims started out rather nebulous but were eventually fleshed out by UCI and the lab employees testifying under oath. It's also been a frequent topic of discussion on the cycling forums. There are no shortage of google hits but I'm not sure which would be the best to link to.

ETA: I agree that Le 'Equipe is not a trustworthy source. I didn't believe it at the time, it was the subsequent developments that convinced me.

Last edited by Marcus; 24th August 2012 at 08:47 AM.
Marcus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2012, 08:38 AM   #92
Tatyana
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Newtons Bit View Post
Source?
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/cycli...-details_x.htm

It is old news, I will see if I can find a better source.
Tatyana is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2012, 08:42 AM   #93
Marcus
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
Actually, I believe they can detect it now by looking for the chemicals that keep the plastic that blood bags are made from supple.
Yes, I should have used past tense. There have been riders suspended using the new test. The obvious work around would be to use different materials for your blood bags, easier said then done I guess.
Marcus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2012, 08:43 AM   #94
Aepervius
Philosopher

I can read it. Basically the labs which researched the EPO test back in 2004, did in 2005 a test onn the frozen sample fromn Amstrong from 99 and found the characteristic trace.

"I want, and this is my last and most dear wish, I want that the last of the king be strangled with the guts of the last priest" (Jean Meslier / 1664-1729 / Testament)
A very early french atheist, a catholic priest in life.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2012, 08:45 AM   #95
Aepervius
Philosopher

Except that they seem to be reporting from the result of a lab. That's something which is relatively easy to coutner, heck by the lab itself. So far as I can see it was not countered.

"I want, and this is my last and most dear wish, I want that the last of the king be strangled with the guts of the last priest" (Jean Meslier / 1664-1729 / Testament)
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2012, 09:05 AM   #96
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

A schoolboy French translation of the article would be:

Originally Posted by L'Equipe
Official documents show that the American used performance-enhancing drugs in 1999, during his first victory of the Tour de France.

A four-month investigation by the sports daily led to this evidence. The facts are indisputable: the leader of the Discovery Channel and U.S. Postal Service teams regularly used banned substances in 1999 and lied about the non-use in competition.

Six times during the checks at the end of his prologue victory in Puy-du-Fou, July 3, 1999, and stages Montaigu - Challans (1st), Grand-Bornand - Sestriere (9th), Sestriere - L Alpe d'Huez (10th), Saint-Galmier - Saint-Flour (12th) and Castres - Saint-Gaudens (14th), samples contained traces of this synthetic hormone, which, through increased production of red blood cells, allows better oxygenation and muscle gain estimated by physiologists to be up to 30%.

The analysis was performed by the laboratory of Chatenay-Malabry, the same one who developed the method of detection of EPO. The lab has been working since 2004 on samples collected and frozen between 1998 and 1999, a time when the use of EPO was commonplace in the peleton.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2012, 09:13 AM   #97
Resume
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Aepervius View Post
I can read it. Basically the labs which researched the EPO test back in 2004, did in 2005 a test onn the frozen sample fromn Amstrong from 99 and found the characteristic trace.
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
A schoolboy French translation of the article would be:
Thanks.
Old 24th August 2012, 10:05 AM   #98
Nihilianth
Master Poster

Yes, but that doesn't mean USADA won't say they've stripped the titles. They'll still say that, they'll be lying though. Those titles aren't going anywhere.

And even if they could, all the second and third place riders would be cheats as well, so giving wins to them is retarded.
I agree. It sounds so ludicrous.
Nihilianth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2012, 10:33 AM   #99
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

It was 2 or 3 years ago that three of Lance's samples from 1999 were found positive for EPO, but the time limit had passed for sanctions.
IIRC, that's the sample that couldn't conclusively be shown to be from Lance. The positive results are far from certain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lance_A...ce_urine_tests

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2012, 10:36 AM   #100
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

http://www.uci.ch/Modules/ENews/ENew...trong&LangId=1

USADA will have to provide proof, it seems, before UCI will take any action.

LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2012, 10:36 AM   #101
qayak
Philosopher

I used to be a big fan of Armstrong's and suspected that all the doping allegations were sour grapes by losing teams who just couldn't figure out how to beat him.

However, once I started reading about the evidence, it became pretty obvious that there was indeed doping going on. When I started I knew nothing about cycling. Still don't, but I did find out doping was rampant. As I read through the evidence against Armstrong it became clear that it was only a matter of time before he would be caught.

I was also disappointed with what I found out about his foundation and no longer contribute in any way, shape or form. Ironically, awhile ago, when Canadian Tire started discounting all their LiveStrong exercise equipment, I commented to my wife that I thought it was all over for him.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

Quote:
Sale $999.99
Reg. $1,999.99 / 1/2 Price
Things that make you go "Hmmmmm?"

Anyway, no big shock. Lance Armstrong turns out to be human and the fairy tale turns out to be, well, a fairy tale. It won't be the first time those facts have reared their head to me.

(Mark Twain)
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2012, 10:42 AM   #102
qayak
Philosopher

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
http://www.uci.ch/Modules/ENews/ENew...trong&LangId=1

USADA will have to provide proof, it seems, before UCI will take any action.
Well, they don't have to provide proof, just "a reasoned decision explaining the action taken."

Pretty likely I think. Especially when Armstrong can no longer rebut. I doubt very much USADA is going to spend all that time to catch him and then let him keep his titles and medals.

Armstrong lost in court once when a judge ruled his lawsuit was nothing more than an attempt to hide the truth, so I think the evidence is pretty good.

(Mark Twain)
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2012, 10:55 AM   #103
Patricio Elicer
Obsessed with Reality

Well, three pages now. I see I'm late to this thread, but... what's the hard evidence they have against Lance?,... and I mean hard evidence.
Old 24th August 2012, 11:06 AM   #104
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Yes, I should have used past tense. There have been riders suspended using the new test. The obvious work around would be to use different materials for your blood bags, easier said then done I guess.
Glass. How it was done until the early 70s.
Old 24th August 2012, 11:06 AM   #105
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

I understand where Lance is coming from, and unless I see the proof, he's still the 7 time winner in my book.

The UCI at least requires the USADA to present their reasoning to Lance. I doubt he will care anymore, and neither would I.

I think I suggested a long time ago that Lance should take the position he has taken.

Old 24th August 2012, 11:12 AM   #106
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost...6&postcount=77

Not as long ago as I thought.

Old 24th August 2012, 11:29 AM   #107
Marcus
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Patricio Elicer View Post
Well, three pages now. I see I'm late to this thread, but... what's the hard evidence they have against Lance?,... and I mean hard evidence.
Probably nothing hard, just very convincing if you are familiar with how cycling works and the people involved. Floyd Landis told a long, detailed story. Conceivably he could have made the whole thing up. But then you get into people who like and respect Lance and would rather not testify, like Big George, his leutenant for many years, Tyler Hamilton and other Postal teamates.

All this would be very damning in arbitration, where the standards of evidence are lower than in a criminal court, and in the press. Lance made the right choice in conceding.
Old 24th August 2012, 11:29 AM   #108
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing

He did beat all those other dopers. Who presumably were at the same physical level anyway.
I Ratant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2012, 11:31 AM   #109
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

His teammates?
if they provide credible evidence.
Old 24th August 2012, 11:34 AM   #110
Marcus
Graduate Poster

I understand where Lance is coming from, and unless I see the proof, he's still the 7 time winner in my book.

The UCI at least requires the USADA to present their reasoning to Lance. I doubt he will care anymore, and neither would I.

I think I suggested a long time ago that Lance should take the position he has taken.
He is still the 7 time winner in my book too. His competitors had chemical assistance also, it didn't help them to beat Lance.
Old 24th August 2012, 11:34 AM   #111
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Originally Posted by qayak View Post
Well, they don't have to provide proof, just "a reasoned decision explaining the action taken."

Pretty likely I think. Especially when Armstrong can no longer rebut. I doubt very much USADA is going to spend all that time to catch him and then let him keep his titles and medals.

Armstrong lost in court once when a judge ruled his lawsuit was nothing more than an attempt to hide the truth, so I think the evidence is pretty good.
That's not what the judge said at all. He heavily criticised both sides for the way they'd handled the affair, and said that although the case looked bad to him he had no legal standing to dismiss it.
Old 24th August 2012, 11:36 AM   #112
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Probably nothing hard, just very convincing if you are familiar with how cycling works and the people involved. Floyd Landis told a long, detailed story. Conceivably he could have made the whole thing up. But then you get into people who like and respect Lance and would rather not testify, like Big George, his leutenant for many years, Tyler Hamilton and other Postal teamates.

All this would be very damning in arbitration, where the standards of evidence are lower than in a criminal court, and in the press. Lance made the right choice in conceding.
Who'd be stupid enough to believe anything Floyd "I denied doping for years and duped people out of millions to fund my case, then eventually admitted that I was a cheat and tried to blame everyone else" Landis said?
Old 24th August 2012, 11:38 AM   #113
funk de fino
Dreaming of unicorns

His teammates?
He said, she said. Not credible.

Stundie - Avoided like the plaque, its a scottish turn of phrase.
funk de fino is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2012, 11:39 AM   #114
Brown
Penultimate Amazing

And Lance was the only cyclist who knew of this undetectable method?

Seems very unlikely.

Lance should release these organizations from confidentiality wrt his test results/reports. Let's see what they actually have.

That would put the ball in their court.
I suppose that's more tasteful than saying that Lance has decided to take his ball and go home.

"Don't you get me wrong. I only want to know." -- Judas in Jesus Christ Superstar, lyrics by Tim Rice
Brown is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2012, 11:46 AM   #115
Aepervius
Philosopher

Fat chance of "you" seeing the evidence personally unless USADA release everything to the public. Also please don't take it wrong, but that sound like a lot of CT guy which refuse to accept anything unless they see evidence "with their own eye".

Old 24th August 2012, 11:48 AM   #116
Aepervius
Philosopher

Originally Posted by funk de fino View Post
One he said she said is one thing.

A few of them with chemical evidence is another.

Old 24th August 2012, 11:50 AM   #117
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

One he said she said is one thing.

A few of them with chemical evidence is another
Evidence that anyone has presented that?
Old 24th August 2012, 11:52 AM   #118
Resume
Philosopher

Originally Posted by funk de fino View Post
All of them? It's they said, he said.
Old 24th August 2012, 11:53 AM   #119
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Fat chance of "you" seeing the evidence personally unless USADA release everything to the public. Also please don't take it wrong, but that sound like a lot of CT guy which refuse to accept anything unless they see evidence "with their own eye".
Exactly. There's been a lot of borderline CT posts in this thread. I'd like to know the motive for USADA acting like this if it doesn't have credible evidence.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2012, 12:03 PM   #120
Cain
Straussian

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
The evidence is that he's not contesting the charges.
So he's a quitter.
"Alright, alright, alright. I just wanna say one more thing, brother: I was on the Dessi bandwagon before it was cool. And you can say that I said that. " -- Matthew McConaughey, private correspondence.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

JREF Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events