JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Tags End of days , predictions , sylvia browne

Old 2nd September 2012, 12:12 PM   #1
Questioninggeller
Illuminator

How do Sylvia Browne’s 2008 “End of Days” predictions stand up in 2012?

Sylvia Browne’s “End of Days: Predictions and Prophecies About the End of the World” was released in hardcover in June 2008. As most people are aware, she turns books out at a quick rate with co-author Lindsay Harrison writing several a year.

Recently I was reading some of her books. They have a grandiose tone, large print, rarely contain narrative, and read quickly. In many cases, there are bullet points for some of her claims or as in the case of Browne’s “Messages from Spirit: An Open-At-Random Book of Guidance” there is one line per page so the reader blindly flips to a page and reads a sentence, such as “smiles are the only windows that show our souls are centered.” In the books I went through recently, there were few predictions. Rather, she’ll make claims about “Afterlives of the Rich and Famous” or make some non-specific claim about a past reading telling the reader such a prediction was validated.

Browne’s “End of Days” stands out, however, because it’s about the 2012 end of the world (A big topic around the time, see: 2012 movie that made $770 million). At several points, Browne actually made predictions in the book. As you can tell from introduction, posted here, there aren’t any original ideas.

However later Browne predicts about extraterrestrials:
Originally Posted by Browne’s “End of Days” page 242
One of the most dramatic headlines in 2012 will be the discovery of some mysterious debris in a California/Nevada desert.
More on UFOs and aliens:
Originally Posted by Browne’s “End of Days” page 243
In about 2018, extraterrestrials will be making our search for them much easier- they'll begin outing themselves, safely and sanely and very much in public to such organizations as the United Nations, Scotland Yard, NASA and even a Camp David Summit.

Many of the dramatic advancements in our space travel will be the direct result of what we've learned from them, from the manned Mars exploration in 2012 and the charted moon junkets in the late 2030s to the lunar base of the early 2040s that will become a wildly popular tourist destination.

Other ones include:
Originally Posted by Browne’s “End of Days” page 204
Sometime between 2008 and 2020 I see a sitting president dying in office of a heart attack. The vice president who assumes the presidency still stun the world by announcing his intention to declare war on North Korea in light of his accurate belief that they actually are in possession of weapons of mass destruction.

On a more positive note, before the end of 2010, to the chagrin of countless pharmaceutical companies, the common cold will be a thing of the past. I don't know the specifics, but the cure will involve heat (duh). There's a small self-contained cubicle that will become a common fixture in most clinics and doctor's offices. At the first hint of a cold, patients will step into this cubicle for five or six minutes, where a combination of its precisely elevated temperature, an antibiotic vapor and their own body heat will destroy the rhinitis germ that causes most colds, many allergies and a variety of asthma-related illnesses.
Yet, she didn’t name any politicians or predict any elections in the book. Elswhere she has given conflicting statements about the 2012 presidential election, see this thread.

Originally Posted by Browne’s “End of Days” page 205
Inspired by our ancestors' routine practice of accepting the help of gravity during childbirth, 2010 will also see the reemergence of birthing chambers for the benefit of both mothers and newborns.

Cells will also be painlessly harvested from inside the infant's cheek, to serve two purposes. The first, over the objections of the ACLU, will be to register the child's DNA in what will eventually be an international databank of every person on Earth.
Originally Posted by Browne’s “End of Days” page 209
…signals between the brain, muscular system and the neurological system, putting an end to paralysis and Parkinson's disease no later than 2012.

In about 2013 or 2014, muscular dystrophy, multiple sclerosis (MS) and ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease) will be defeated through some highly specialized use of the human growth hormone.

The year 2014 will see the introduction of a safe, healthy pill or capsule that will replace gastric bypass and Lapland surgeries and anorexia and bulimia will be eliminated by a newly discovered medication that targets the pituitary gland.

In 2015 there will be virtually no invasive surgery.

No later than 2020, thanks to the development of a synthetic material that perfectly duplicates the human eardrum, we'll see a virtual end to deafness.
These claims are bunk for basic reasons, either due to what we know about current events in 2012 or from what we know about biology.

Last edited by Questioninggeller; 2nd September 2012 at 12:46 PM.
Questioninggeller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2012, 12:37 PM   #2
Ateista
New Blood

Originally Posted by Questioninggeller View Post
Originally Posted by Browne’s “End of Days” page 204
Sometime between 2008 and 2020 I see a sitting president dying in office of a heart attack. The vice president who assumes the presidency still stun the world by announcing his intention to declare war on North Korea in light of his accurate belief that they actually are in possession of weapons of mass destruction.
North Korea does have nuclear weapons.
Ateista is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2012, 12:57 PM   #3
Questioninggeller
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Ateista View Post
North Korea does have nuclear weapons.
Yes. North Korea tested a nuclear weapon in 2006 it was huge international news (and tested a missile in 1993). For Browne to write in 2008 that an American president will have an "accurate belief that they actually are in possession of weapons of mass destruction" doesn't make sense when its been public knowledge for years before Browne published her book.
Questioninggeller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2012, 01:49 PM   #4
Ateista
New Blood

Yes. North Korea tested a nuclear weapon in 2006 it was huge international news and tested a missile in 1993. For Browne to write in 2008 that an American president will have an "accurate belief that they actually are in possession of weapons of mass destruction" doesn't make sense when its been public knowledge for years before Browne published her book.
Thanks for clarifying.
Ateista is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2012, 05:14 PM   #5
Sticky Fingers
Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving With a Pict

Not very good unfortunately........

This may be from that same book..........

"I predict we can truly say "goodbye" to the common cold in 2009 or 2010. The solution to the common cold involves heat. Keep in mind that the body's first response when we develop a cold is to come down with a fever. Many doctors today no longer rush to push patients to take temperature reducing medications when they come down with a fever, unless the fever is dangerous. They feel the immune system is the patient's best medicine and should be given a chance to fight back. So as the immune system fights a cold with heat, the cure for the common cold certainly may lie in this first signal to heal.

I predict that a small cubicle will become available in doctor's offices sometime in 2009 and it will be heated to a very precise temperature. There may be a special vapor placed into the cubicle. Patients will stand in the cubicle for approximately five minutes and the rhinitis germ will be destroyed.

Another wonderful bit of good news on the health front with this discovery - since this cubicle can easily take on the rhinitis germ, many people that have breathing problems with allergies and asthma complications will find some breakthroughs as well. We will see this cubicle discovery used for healing for those with breathing disorders. The cubicle will become available in 2009 or 2010."

http://www.spiritnow.com/article/psy...2008__2009__67
Sticky Fingers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2012, 07:04 AM   #6
ExMinister
RSL Acolyte

Struck me this morning that it's odd that someone in her position would write a book like this that is full of specific predictions that could/would eventually not come true.

Reminds me of what I have heard some of the people close to her say over the past decade - that she is manipulative, dishonest, and greedy, but also sincere to a certain extent and deluded. (I wasn't close enough to see this for myself. From my vantage point she seemed sincere).

If she were completely deliberately fake, as opposed to somewhat deluded, wouldn't she have been clever enough NOT to have written a book like this, knowing she wasn't psychic and it would eventually incriminate her?
Old 3rd September 2012, 07:47 AM   #7
baron
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by ExMinister View Post
If she were completely deliberately fake, as opposed to somewhat deluded, wouldn't she have been clever enough NOT to have written a book like this, knowing she wasn't psychic and it would eventually incriminate her?
Two other options exist

1) She is fake and spectacularly stupid

2) She is fake and whilst not stupid herself, knows that those who buy her books are

baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2012, 07:50 AM   #8
Sherman Bay
Graduate Poster

These claims are bunk for basic reasons, either due to what we know about current events in 2012 or from what we know about biology.
Hey -- 2012's not over yet.

Originally Posted by baron View Post
Two other options exist

2) She is fake and whilst not stupid herself, knows that those who buy her books are
Considering how much money she makes, I'd say she's fake like a fox.

Last edited by Sherman Bay; 3rd September 2012 at 07:52 AM.
Sherman Bay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2012, 08:41 AM   #9
Ladewig
Hipster alien

I cannot think of a single psychic who has ever lost money or lost customers by writing a book with clear, identifiable predictions that would be proven false in a year or two.
Is the JREF message board training wheels for people who hope to one day troll other message boards? It is not that hard to get us to believe you. We are not the major leagues or even the minor leagues. We are Pee-Wee baseball. If you love striking out 10-year-olds, then you'll love trolling our board.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2012, 08:49 AM   #10
ExMinister
RSL Acolyte

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
I cannot think of a single psychic who has ever lost money or lost customers by writing a book with clear, identifiable predictions that would be proven false in a year or two.
Most of her contemporaries don't, though. Van Praagh, Edward, Dubois, Rosen, etc. They write spiritualistic philosophy books, books full of nonverifiable stories that reinforce to the public how psychic they are. They seem clever enough to stay away from actual predictions.
Old 3rd September 2012, 09:22 AM   #11
ExMinister
RSL Acolyte

Originally Posted by baron View Post
Two other options exist

Yeah I agree these options exist.

Personally, when I realized she was faking the trance classes, I wrote her off as an insincere fraud.

People much closer to her than I was have told me that she did fake trance classes and that she is manipulative and dishonest. BUT, they say, she is also sincere in believing herself to be psychic. The fact that she would actually write this kind of book would just seem to give that opinion a little more credibility.

Then again, it's also possible that she is so narcissistic that at the time she wrote the book, during her years on Montel when her career was skyrocketing, she was trying to set herself up as an expert on everything and figured by the time the predictions started failing she'd be filthgy rich or dead.
Old 3rd September 2012, 11:28 AM   #12
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

That is IMO one of the oddest thing about the psychic industry -- nobody seems to care a whit about your accuracy or track record.
Old 3rd September 2012, 11:48 AM   #13
ExMinister
RSL Acolyte

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
That is IMO one of the oddest thing about the psychic industry -- nobody seems to care a whit about your accuracy or track record.
Well I always did. What's the point of having a reading with someone proven to be inaccurate?

Anyway, I hope you're wrong.

Back when I was a Sylvia fan there was no Stop Sylvia site and it wasn't easy to find out about any of their track records. Now with the web it's easier, though we still could use more stop sites, and I would like to think it is having an impact on people's willingness to trust these fakes.
Old 3rd September 2012, 06:27 PM   #14
Ladewig
Hipster alien

Most of her contemporaries don't, though. Van Praagh, Edward, Dubois, Rosen, etc. They write spiritualistic philosophy books, books full of nonverifiable stories that reinforce to the public how psychic they are. They seem clever enough to stay away from actual predictions.
Why do you describe their approach as being clever? Sylvia picked a path and made money with it. That does not make her less clever than her competitors. Only skeptics pay attention to the track records of psychics.
Is the JREF message board training wheels for people who hope to one day troll other message boards? It is not that hard to get us to believe you. We are not the major leagues or even the minor leagues. We are Pee-Wee baseball. If you love striking out 10-year-olds, then you'll love trolling our board.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2012, 07:01 PM   #15
Sticky Fingers
Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving With a Pict

Struck me this morning that it's odd that someone in her position would write a book like this that is full of specific predictions that could/would eventually not come true..

It is actually the best way to approach it.
Most of her clientele don't have the brain capacity to remember what happened two or three years back.

Last edited by Sticky Fingers; 3rd September 2012 at 07:02 PM.
Sticky Fingers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2012, 07:08 PM   #16
ExMinister
RSL Acolyte

Why do you describe their approach as being clever? Sylvia picked a path and made money with it. That does not make her less clever than her competitors. Only skeptics pay attention to the track records of psychics.
Because if you want to stay in business, you avoid making specific predictions that could work against you in the future. They did, she didn't, so to me they are cleverer than she is. Unless, like I said, she was going for fame and glory and figured she wouldn't care about whether they failed by the time they were supposed to happen, in which case I agree it's not a matter of being less clever, as you said.

I disagree that only skeptics pay attention to the track records of psychics. I paid attention. And if that were true, Robert wouldn't receive the emails from people who believed until they read his site.
Old 3rd September 2012, 07:16 PM   #17
ExMinister
RSL Acolyte

Originally Posted by Sticky Fingers View Post
It is actually the best way to approach it.
Most of her clientele don't have the brain capacity to remember what happened two or three years back.
As a former client (not to mention minister) I find that a little bit insulting. Sometimes I can't remember why I walked into the next room or where I left my car keys, but still.

But I tend to think either she herself was deluded enough to think she was going to get them right, or she was riding the wave of fame she had on Montel and just completely unconcerned about the future.
Old 3rd September 2012, 09:55 PM   #18
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

I disagree that only skeptics pay attention to the track records of psychics.
That's true, I'm sure. However, Sylvia and other fraudsters don't have to win over everybody. All they need is a herd they can milk, and that herd doesn't pay attention to track records; some members might leave because they start to, but as long as they're replaced by new wallets, its business as usual. And since one hit trumps 100 misses, making a book with clear and fairly unambiguous predictions might actually be worth it because of the chance that you can say "As I predicted in my 2008 book..."
Old 4th September 2012, 06:28 AM   #19
ExMinister
RSL Acolyte

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
That's true, I'm sure. However, Sylvia and other fraudsters don't have to win over everybody. All they need is a herd they can milk, and that herd doesn't pay attention to track records; some members might leave because they start to, but as long as they're replaced by new wallets, its business as usual. And since one hit trumps 100 misses, making a book with clear and fairly unambiguous predictions might actually be worth it because of the chance that you can say "As I predicted in my 2008 book..."
Yes, that's probably true. And along with that she can always use that old standby of crooked psychics, "My predictions are all right but my timing might be off."
Old 4th September 2012, 08:19 AM   #20
Questioninggeller
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Sherman Bay View Post
Hey -- 2012's not over yet.
If you think, for example, that there is a possibility in the last three months of 2012 that a manned mission to Mars will be planned and happen, then I have a bridge to sell you.
Old 5th September 2012, 11:40 AM   #21
Questioninggeller
Illuminator

Here are more silly statements from Browne:

On curing cancer:
Originally Posted by Browne’s “End of Days” page 208-209
Cancer will be destroyed by injecting highly addictive drugs specifically into the nuclei of cancerous cells, which will ultimately result in the cancerous cells consuming and eradicating themselves to satisfy their addiction. I once thought this form of treatment would be in use by at least a handful of exceptional oncologists, if only on an experimental basis, no later than 2006. I don’t see it happening now until about 2010.

Also in 2010, diabetes will be significantly reduced and ultimately cured through brilliant advancements in the use of proteins.

Microchips implanted in the base of the brain will restore healthy signals between the brain, the muscular system and the neurological system, putting an end to paralysis and Parkinson’s disease no later than 2012.
On curing blindness:
Originally Posted by Browne’s “End of Days” page 209
Blindness will become a thing of the past by 2020 at least without a reliance on organ transplants.
On curing mental illness:
Originally Posted by Browne’s “End of Days” page 211
No later than the end of 2009, there will be very precise formulas describing which imbalances will cause which problems and which treatments will be most effective in solving them.

By 2013, we’re going to see an amazing development in the treatment of mental illness. There will be a device, used exclusively by highly trained psychiatrists and neurologists, that will employ electromagnetic impulses to treat and often cure these brain malfunctions.
On curing schizophrenia and epilepsy:
Originally Posted by Browne’s “End of Days” page 212
As for schizophrenia and severe cases of epilepsy, those will be successfully treated in 2014 by a microchip implanted in the brain that will essentially “override” the system when it detects that any kind of malfunction, misfire or shutdown is about to happen.
On cameras and big brother:
Originally Posted by Browne’s “End of Days” page 214
No later than 2012, satellites will be able to detect crimes and send alters to law enforcement of the specific location where their help is needed. And in the case there are no eye witnesses on the scene, or eyewitness accounts of the crime are inconsistent, as they often are, satellites in orbit for no other purpose will be able to instantly transmit detailed footage of a crime scene, the ultimate in discreet surveillance cameras.
On the Pope and papacy:
Originally Posted by Browne’s “End of Days” page 215
Pope Benedict will be the last elected Pope. His reign will be succeeded by a new Catholic practice of selecting a college of cardinals, essentially a triumvirate of popes who will collectively share papal responsibilities.
On U.S. politics:
Originally Posted by Browne’s “End of Days” page 216-217
The year 2020 will market he end of the U.S. presidency and the executive branch of the government. Let’s just say the American public will finally be fed up and leave it at that.

The legislative branch will essentially absorb the responsibilities of the executive branch with a streamlined body of elected representatives, an equal number from each state, forming the new legislature, which will simply be known as the Senate. The “party” system of Democrats, Republicans, Independents, et al. will uncomplicate itself into Liberals and Conservatives, who will debate and vote on each proposed bill and law in nationally televised sessions.

Among the laws that will be enacted during the Senate’s first six year term will be:
• The flat tax
• Tax bonuses for those with careers in the arts, education, law enforcement and public service.

• A public health system

• By 2020 we’ll see the end of IRAs, mutual funds, pension and retirement plans and yes, it’s true, the stock market.
On building homes:
Originally Posted by Browne’s “End of Days” page 219-220
No later than 2015 all newly built houses will be solar powered and prefabricated, made of stone of flame retardant synthetic wood over reinforced steel, with roofs of ceramic title and solar panels that are shatterproof and fireproof.
Old 5th September 2012, 10:45 PM   #22
Ladewig
Hipster alien

Because if you want to stay in business, you avoid making specific predictions that could work against you in the future. They did, she didn't, so to me they are cleverer than she is. Unless, like I said, she was going for fame and glory and figured she wouldn't care about whether they failed by the time they were supposed to happen, in which case I agree it's not a matter of being less clever, as you said.

I disagree that only skeptics pay attention to the track records of psychics. I paid attention. And if that were true, Robert wouldn't receive the emails from people who believed until they read his site.

After reading post #21, I am now on your side of the fence.

Last edited by Ladewig; 5th September 2012 at 10:47 PM.
Old 6th September 2012, 09:57 AM   #23
CORed
Philosopher

Quote:
Lapland surgeries
So, that's where they move your stomach to northern Finland, right?

I'm not sure if that's Sylvia's typo or yours, but I though it was funny.
CORed is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2012, 11:59 AM   #24
Questioninggeller
Illuminator

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
So, that's where they move your stomach to northern Finland, right?

I'm not sure if that's Sylvia's typo or yours, but I though it was funny.
Yes, that was my typo. It should read "lapband surgeries."

You can search the text of the book on Amazon.com and double-check to compare: http://www.amazon.com/End-Days-Predi.../dp/B003P2VC34

Last edited by Questioninggeller; 6th September 2012 at 12:00 PM. Reason: amazon
Old 9th September 2012, 09:51 AM   #25
LashL
Goddess of Legaltainment™
Administrator

Here are more silly statements from Browne:

On curing cancer:

On curing blindness:

On curing mental illness:

On curing schizophrenia and epilepsy:

On cameras and big brother:

On the Pope and papacy:

On U.S. politics:

On building homes:

Wow. Just, wow.
LashL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 09:31 AM   #26
Questioninggeller
Illuminator

Looks like Sylvia Browne's predictions for 2012 fell flat.

Quote:
Me and Sylvia Browne: 2012 predictions
Posted: October 17th, 2011
By Lenore Skomal
Erie Times-News

Sitting backstage with Sylvia Browne before her Saturday night appearance.
Here are some of her predictions:

1) President Obama will not get re-elected. While not a fan, she favored Gov. Mitt Romney of Massachusetts.
Full: Erie Times-News

Quote:
Sylvia Browne's 2012 predictions, and her claim Steve Jobs was someone famous in another life
MLive.com
Monday, January 23, 2012
By John Gonzalez

To say that Sylvia Browne has a cult following is like saying Steve Jobs used to run a little company called Apple.
• President Obama will NOT be re-elected as President of the United States.
Full: MLive.com
Old 29th November 2012, 10:50 PM   #27
Ladewig
Hipster alien

Originally Posted by Sylvia
satellites in orbit for no other purpose will be able to instantly transmit detailed footage of a crime scene, the ultimate in discreet surveillance cameras.
Yes, the very ultimate in surveillance. They can be defeated only by awnings, rainy days, and hats with wide brims.
Old 23rd December 2012, 06:03 PM   #28
Questioninggeller
Illuminator

Sylvia Browne is promoting her live appearance on The Drew Show for Friday, January 4th. I hope someone asks about her "End of Days" book.
Old 23rd December 2012, 07:07 PM   #29
ExMinister
RSL Acolyte

Sylvia Browne is promoting her live appearance on The Drew Show for Friday, January 4th. I hope someone asks about her "End of Days" book.
I've never seen The Drew Show but it seems like the audience on all the shows she does is almost always focused on asking something that might get them free psychic advice.
Old 23rd December 2012, 07:31 PM   #30
JeanFromBNA
Critical Thinker

Her predictions clearly transmit that she knows little or nothing about the topics of her predictions.

Which is, I guess, what you're going for if you want to be a prophet.
JeanFromBNA is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2012, 08:18 PM   #31
Loss Leader
Opinionated Jerk

She predicted in 2008 that we'd have a manned expedition to Mars by 2012? Did she think NASA was already done testing the prototype? Did she think the mission was already underway?

Follow me on Twitter! @LossLeader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2012, 08:34 PM   #32
Sledge
Grammaton Cleric

Are the information screens at my doctor's surgery lying to me, or can the sort of viruses that cause the common cold not be treated with antibiotics?

"Science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it would stop" ~ Dara O'Briain.
Sledge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2012, 10:32 AM   #33
Jon.
Increasing entropy since 1970

Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
Are the information screens at my doctor's surgery lying to me, or can the sort of viruses that cause the common cold not be treated with antibiotics?
Any virus can be treated with antibiotics. However, no viruses can be successfully treated with antibiotics. Antibiotics kill bacteria; antivirals (a much newer, more expensive and less effective class of medicine) kill viruses.

I don't appeal to the masses, and they don't appeal to me. - Graham Parker

Calling modern day fundamentalists medieval is giving them about a thousand years of philosophical advancement they do not have. - Jorghnassen
Jon. is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2013, 04:09 PM   #34
Questioninggeller
Illuminator

Pope

Regarding:

Originally Posted by Browne’s “End of Days” page 215
Pope Benedict will be the last elected Pope. His reign will be succeeded by a new Catholic practice of selecting a college of cardinals, essentially a triumvirate of popes who will collectively share papal responsibilities.
Meanwhile:
Quote:
Pope Francis' Election: Not a 'Dry Eye in the House' at Conclave, Cardinal Says
By MATTHEW JAFFE
ABC News
March 14, 2013

There was not a "dry eye in the house" at the Sistine Chapel the moment when former Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio was elected as the next pope, with the 115 cardinals meeting for the conclave then bursting into applause, according to Cardinal Timothy Dolan of New York.
Bergoglio, 76, the cardinal from Buenos Aires, Argentina, from now on to be known as Pope Francis, is the first pope ever from the Americas and the first Jesuit pope.
Old 5th April 2013, 04:50 PM   #35
ExMinister
RSL Acolyte

What a big bunch of hooey. Cure for the common cold and Lou Gehrigs diseaese, manned mission to Mars by 2012, cure for cancer and diabetes by 2010.

I wonder: How much of what she said in that book did she get right?
Old 6th April 2013, 07:09 AM   #36
philkensebben
Graduate Poster

What a big bunch of hooey. Cure for the common cold and Lou Gehrigs diseaese, manned mission to Mars by 2012, cure for cancer and diabetes by 2010.

I wonder: How much of what she said in that book did she get right?
Page numbers?
philkensebben is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2013, 08:14 AM   #37
trebor
Thinker

Originally Posted by philkensebben View Post
Page numbers?
Well to be fair; that would be the publisher that got that correct.... Give credit where it's due.
trebor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2013, 09:02 AM   #38
philkensebben
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by trebor View Post
Well to be fair; that would be the publisher that got that correct.... Give credit where it's due.
I know, but I really couldnt think of anything else.
philkensebben is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2013, 02:11 PM   #39
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

We still exist. She got right. Maybe she is psychic. How many coin tosses can you get wrong in a row before you conclude you are psychic? Maybe that applies to SB?
rjh01 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2013, 02:48 PM   #40
steve s
Illuminator

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
How many coin tosses can you get wrong in a row before you conclude you are psychic? Maybe that applies to SB?
She's so bad she's almost anti-psychic. Would that qualify for the MDC, someone who does significantly worse than chance?

Steve S

JREF Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal