IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 24th September 2012, 07:09 PM   #1
Notrump
Muse

Wink Possibly Brilliant Comet C/2012 S1 in Late 2013

A new comet has been discovered that could become intensely bright when it comes extremely close to the Sun in late 2013. It is called C/2012 S1 (ISON). Here is some info: http://remanzacco.blogspot.com/2012/...2-s1-ison.html

I’ve created five related charts with graphics and data. They can be seen on my comets webpage at: www.CurtRenz.com/comets

Photos and descriptions of the comet would be welcome additions to this thread.
Notrump is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2012, 11:47 PM   #2
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Great. Might go to Lord Howe Island or some other place where they do not have street lights in January 2014.
Old 25th September 2012, 12:02 AM   #3
BadBoy
Graduate Poster

cue the "End of the Worlders"

Here comes Gods punishment

Last edited by BadBoy; 25th September 2012 at 12:04 AM.
BadBoy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2012, 04:43 AM   #4
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

I hope so, the last cool one was a while ago, I have been waiting for a great comet for a while.
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2012, 05:07 AM   #5
pakeha
Penultimate Amazing

Notrump takes the trick with this news.
What fun- something to look forward to after all the excitement of the End of the World parties in December!
pakeha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2012, 06:26 AM   #6
sphenisc
Philosopher

So where's the best place to be to see it at its brightest?
Old 25th September 2012, 07:42 AM   #7
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

Peak magnitude -13? Is that for real? That's the same as a full moon.

ETA: On the overhead view, the closest approach around December 29 '13 looks a lot closer than 0.4 AU. So this thing must be way out of earth's orbital plane. Since it's in the northern hemisphere now, does that mean a trip south of the equator to see it at its closest in late 2013?

Last edited by Myriad; 25th September 2012 at 08:00 AM.
Myriad is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2012, 08:02 AM   #8
Magic 9-Ball
Hey, that's a good name
for a band!

Originally Posted by sphenisc View Post
You mean outside of the dark side of Mercury when it passes by?
Old 25th September 2012, 08:09 AM   #9
MG1962

There is going to be a lovely comet in March as well Comet Pan-STARRS (C/2011 L4) zero magnitude predictions.

But back to Notrump's discovery - According to "Astronomy Now" magazine, even if this comet follows worst case senario in its brightness curve it will be a once in a civilization event That is just astounding
MG1962 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2012, 08:35 AM   #10
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
Great. Might go to Lord Howe Island or some other place where they do not have street lights in January 2014.
If it's as bright as they say it'll be you won't need to. I can think of a few cheaper dark places than Lord Howe though (I admit there are plenty of other very good reasons to go there), Far East Gippsland, including NSW up to near Merimbula, is pretty deserted (and very pretty), or of course you can drive a few hours inland of the Dividing Range.
i loves the little birdies they goes tweet tweet tweet hee hee i loves them they sings to each other tweet twet tweet hee hee i loves them they is so cute i love yje little birdies little birdies in the room when birfies sings ther is no gloom i lobes the little birdies they goess tweet tweet tweet hee hee hee i loves them they sings me to sleep sing me to slrrp now little birdies - The wisdom of Shemp.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2012, 08:38 AM   #11
MG1962

Originally Posted by Damien Evans View Post
If it's as bright as they say it'll be you won't need to. I can think of a few cheaper dark places than Lord Howe though (I admit there are plenty of other very good reasons to go there), Far East Gippsland, including NSW up to near Merimbula, is pretty deserted (and very pretty), or of course you can drive a few hours inland of the Dividing Range.
Yes I think we are going to need moon filters for our scopes rather than dark skies lol. This thing is predicted to be as bright as the full Moon so while it is in the sky there will be no dark skies
MG1962 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2012, 09:32 AM   #12
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

The tail will still be waay longer the darker the sky.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 25th September 2012 at 09:38 AM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2012, 09:38 AM   #13
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by BadBoy View Post

First comment in the OP citation:
Quote:
Anonymous said...
Is this something we should be very concerned about ? Could it cause a catastrophic event ?

So much fear, so little reason.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2012, 09:39 AM   #14
MG1962

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
The tail will stil be waay longer the darker the sky.
However while the comets nucleus is above the horizon, there will be no clear advantage for observing the tail. Right now we have to just wait for the boffins to work up the orbit and then see what we will be dealing with
Old 25th September 2012, 09:44 AM   #15
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
First comment in the OP citation:

So much fear, so little reason.

Just be glad that it's a full year "late" for December 2012.
Old 25th September 2012, 10:00 AM   #16
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by MG1962 View Post
However while the comets nucleus is above the horizon, there will be no clear advantage for observing the tail. Right now we have to just wait for the boffins to work up the orbit and then see what we will be dealing with
I'm not sure I understand your post, nor do I know that much on this subject. But going from my past experience with a very bright comet, when we left the city lights the tail was apparent across 1/2 the sky. Even as bright as the Moon, I would think the size of the coma would mean it wouldn't wash out the entire sky like the Moon does. While the city lights do wash out the entire sky, the coma would be very far from the end of the tail.
Old 25th September 2012, 10:24 AM   #17
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Originally Posted by sphenisc View Post
http://earthsky.org/space/big-sun-di...acular-in-2013

Quote:
If it does survive its encounter with the sun, and if it does become bright enough to be seen with the eye, astronomers say the Comet ISON show won’t be limited to just one hemisphere as Comet Lovejoy’s display was. It’ll be visible to all of us in both the Northern and Southern Hemispheres for at least a couple of months.
Old 25th September 2012, 10:28 AM   #18
Naddig74
Has a Rucksack

Wow. Looking forward to this.
Old 25th September 2012, 12:01 PM   #19
icerat
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
Thanks for that link

If it does survive its encounter with the sun, and if it does become bright enough to be seen with the eye, astronomers say the Comet ISON show won’t be limited to just one hemisphere as Comet Lovejoy’s display was. It’ll be visible to all of us in both the Northern and Southern Hemispheres for at least a couple of months.

In addition Astronomy Now says ...

Northern hemisphere observers are highly favoured.

Last edited by icerat; 25th September 2012 at 12:04 PM.
icerat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2012, 12:03 PM   #20
Notrump
Muse

Wink

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
Peak magnitude -13? Is that for real? That's the same as a full moon.

ETA: On the overhead view, the closest approach around December 29 '13 looks a lot closer than 0.4 AU. So this thing must be way out of earth's orbital plane. Since it's in the northern hemisphere now, does that mean a trip south of the equator to see it at its closest in late 2013?

Indeed the two-dimensional view can be somewhat deceiving. The comet's orbital plane is inclined 62° to the ecliptic. The comet will pass to the celestial north side of the Earth, making this a better apparition for northern hemisphere observers.

Based on very preliminary JPL parameters, the comet would peak at magnitude -15.7 when at perihelion on 2013 NOV 28 at 20:51 UT. However, at perihelion the comet will be only 0.0125 AU from the Sun, placing the comet too close to the Sun at that time to be observed by naked eyes or the telescopes of amateurs. The comet's brilliance will be considerably dimmer during the days on either side of perihelion.

Here are my calculated magnitudes based on current JPL parameters at 00:00 UT during late 2013.

NOV 20 +01.2
NOV 21 +00.8
NOV 22 +00.3
NOV 23 -00.2
NOV 24 -00.8
NOV 25 -01.5
NOV 26 -02.5
NOV 27 -03.9
NOV 28 -06.4
NOV 29 -13.1
NOV 30 -05.6
DEC 01 -03.6
DEC 02 -02.4
DEC 03 -01.5
DEC 04 -00.9
DEC 05 -00.4
DEC 06 +00.0
DEC 07 +00.4
DEC 08 +00.7
DEC 09 +01.0
DEC 10 +01.2

During the above dates until about 2013 NOV 25 the comet should be visible by naked eye above the southeastern horizon shortly before sunrise. It's not until about DEC 06 that the comet should be visible by naked eye above the western horizon shortly after sunset and again in the east before sunrise.
Notrump is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2012, 03:44 PM   #21
Soapy Sam
Penultimate Amazing

Cool. A Christmas comet. Nice time of year for viewing in my part of the world.
Rather boring name. Will it be renamed after the finders?
Soapy Sam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2012, 10:23 PM   #22
Brainache
Nasty Brutish and Tall

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
Just be glad that it's a full year "late" for December 2012.
Or Historians got the dates wrong on the Mayan Calendar by one year, so this comet is actually the cataclysmic event foretold by the Ancient Mayans!!!!

So get your gnashing teeth ready and make sure to get your wailing voice tuned up, this is the big one.

I'm not being serious. I believe the calendar thing is just the end of a particular cycle and no particular disaster was supposed to be associated with it, but have the Woos started selling this as the next big End Times event yet, or do we have to wait until nothing happens this December?

Are the Fundies looking for the "Son Of Man" riding in on this comet like Slim Pickens on the bomb at the end of Strangelove?
Brainache is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2012, 10:31 PM   #23
MG1962

Originally Posted by Soapy Sam View Post
Cool. A Christmas comet. Nice time of year for viewing in my part of the world.
Comet Nevski-Novichonok doesn't seem to have much of a ring to it lol
Old 25th September 2012, 10:32 PM   #24
MG1962

Originally Posted by Brainache View Post
Are the Fundies looking for the "Son Of Man" riding in on this comet like Slim Pickens on the bomb at the end of Strangelove?
Well I am waiting for the Omen connection to get tractrion
Old 26th September 2012, 11:51 AM   #25
Soapy Sam
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MG1962 View Post
Comet Nevski-Novichonok doesn't seem to have much of a ring to it lol
"Nev-Nov"?
Soapy Sam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2012, 12:50 PM   #26
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

I'm excited. Halle Bopp was the only brilliant comet of my lifetime so far.

I'm glad we have these two to look forward to.

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2012, 01:04 PM   #27
xtifr
Graduate Poster

This is great. I can't help but feel that my generation, and the generation before me, which landed a man on the moon, somehow got ripped off by the cosmos with Halley's lackluster showing last time it came by.

I mean, if anything demanded portents in the sky, it was the dawn of the space age!

If I were a religious man, and if this thing comes off as predicted, I would be apologizing to the gods for having spent all these years cursing their foul sense of humor.
-- James Nicoll
xtifr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2012, 03:41 PM   #28
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Yeah I can only imagine what havoc a comet like this might have caused back in times when we thought things in the sky were messages from the Gods.

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2012, 04:28 PM   #29
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BadBoy View Post

That depends. Is it red? If so maybe it's about dragons instead?
Old 15th October 2012, 03:52 AM   #30
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

An update in today's Guardian: http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/20...-comet-jupiter

Quote:
The fact that Comet ISON is seen easily so far from the Sun suggests that it is large enough to survive its solar encounter and that it will not fizzle out as some close-approach comets have done before. That fate is still possible, and the predictions of its appearance that follow can be little more than guesses at this stage.

Its path is known accurately, though, and for once observers in the northern hemisphere are well placed to follow it. After passing very close to Mars and Regulus in our eastern predawn sky in mid-October next year, it should brighten to naked eye visibility during November as it dives towards the Sun.

Comet ISON lies close to Spica in Virgo on the 18th and near Mercury and Saturn a few days later, with any tail slanting up and to the right in the morning twilight. Following perihelion it reappears in our western evening sky with its tail short at first but growing rapidly, again upwards and to the right. It may still be an impressive sight as it passes closest to the Earth at the safe distance of 64 million km on Boxing Day.
Old 30th December 2012, 12:50 PM   #31
This is The End

New reuters article making the rounds:

Quote:
A comet blazing toward Earth could outshine the full moon when it passes by at the end of next year - if it survives its close encounter with the sun.

Comet ISON could break apart as it nears the sun, or it could fail to produce a tail of ice particles visible from Earth.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8NS5AL20121228

Quote:
It is supposedly two miles in length making it one of the largest comets or asteroids ever discovered in the solar system.
http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/n...shine-the-moon
Old 30th December 2012, 12:56 PM   #32
Monketi Ghost
Confusion Reactor

Bumping.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comet_ISON

I'm hoping this one's as nice as 1997's Hale-Bopp. I can recall talking to a guy on the phone, explaining that it was in the sky as we were talking. I told him where to look, and he said, "Oh. I thought the tail would be moving or something."

Hope it's not a poor show like Kohoutek, which was the media's fault for setting expectations on an unpredictable thing.

ETA ninja'd by OnlyTellsTruths!
Monketi Ghost is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2012, 10:11 PM   #33
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Soapy Sam View Post
The Great Comet of 2013?

The 9 Most Brilliant Comets Ever Seen

Will this one rank among them?

Does the comet contain any cyanide and will we be passing through its tail?
Old 20th August 2013, 01:56 AM   #34
anglolawyer
Banned

Originally Posted by Monketey Ghost View Post
Bumping.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comet_ISON

I'm hoping this one's as nice as 1997's Hale-Bopp. I can recall talking to a guy on the phone, explaining that it was in the sky as we were talking. I told him where to look, and he said, "Oh. I thought the tail would be moving or something."

Hope it's not a poor show like Kohoutek, which was the media's fault for setting expectations on an unpredictable thing.

ETA ninja'd by OnlyTellsTruths!
Is Hale-Bopp the one that wiped out Jupiter? That was cool.
anglolawyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2013, 02:00 AM   #35
Lennart Hyland
Muse

I'll post the same link in here:
http://www.space.com/22405-comet-iso...edictions.html

Unfortunately the 911truth movement web site does not allow any opinions contrary to their own, or I would have presented my views. David Scott - CTBUH Chairman
Lennart Hyland is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2013, 02:22 AM   #36
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Aw, I was looking forward to that.
Old 20th August 2013, 03:01 AM   #37
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Originally Posted by anglolawyer View Post
Is Hale-Bopp the one that wiped out Jupiter? That was cool.
No, that was Shoemaker-Levy 9, and it was more like Jupiter wiped it out.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoemaker-Levy_9

Hale-Bopp was the Great Comet of 1997.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hale-Bopp
i loves the little birdies they goes tweet tweet tweet hee hee i loves them they sings to each other tweet twet tweet hee hee i loves them they is so cute i love yje little birdies little birdies in the room when birfies sings ther is no gloom i lobes the little birdies they goess tweet tweet tweet hee hee hee i loves them they sings me to sleep sing me to slrrp now little birdies - The wisdom of Shemp.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2013, 03:26 AM   #38
anglolawyer
Banned

Originally Posted by Damien Evans View Post
No, that was Shoemaker-Levy 9, and it was more like Jupiter wiped it out.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoemaker-Levy_9

Hale-Bopp was the Great Comet of 1997.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hale-Bopp
Ah, thanks. Yes, I seem to recall now that Jupiter miraculously survived that impact.
anglolawyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2013, 04:21 AM   #39
Monketi Ghost
Confusion Reactor

Jupiter miraculously tore it to shreds and ate it up yum
Monketi Ghost is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2013, 04:25 AM   #40
Monketi Ghost
Confusion Reactor

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
Aw, I was looking forward to that.
So was I. But it was all about how things looked after perihelion, and I'm disappointed but not surprised.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology