JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Tags D.I.D. , Dr. Phil , false memory syndrome , Judy Byington , mind control , mpd , multiple personalities , recovered memory therapy , satanic ritual abuse

Old 19th November 2012, 09:16 AM   #881
Altus
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by joesixpack View Post
Does anyone notice how Felicity gets more shrill as she talks herself into a corner?
I don't know that F Lee is supposed to make sense. She just wipes her pseudonym over as many Amazon DID related reviews as possible to pick up new business for her DID site. She set herself up for full-time trolling on Debbie Nathan's page http://www.amazon.com/Sybil-Exposed-.../dp/1439168288 Her profile links to her site, so it's cheap marketing. It's quite an industry, selling beliefs, no matter how harming.

However with Byington she made the mistake of listing the book on her site AND doing a review which made her a certified sockpuppet. We'll see how good Amazon is at keeping her off. Byington and she were chatting it up on the boards for a bit.

There was also some talk with another guy (another guest from Dr. Phil?) on the Amazon boards about an agreement with the show not to talk. Since then Byington seems to be a little subdued, which is a bad sign because it means it still could air.

Last edited by Altus; 19th November 2012 at 09:17 AM.
Altus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2012, 10:41 AM   #882
Roma
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post
Heartbreakingly good new one star review on Amazon (which I gather some of you have seen).

http://www.amazon.com/review/R1GCKNJ...=&nodeID=&tag=
Oh my God ! That is a person who really understands and I am so glad they wrote that review.
Old 19th November 2012, 10:51 AM   #883
cosmicaug
Muse

This is striking a little too close to home right now.

Though unrelated to SRA, a situation developed over the weekend which has the potential of a serious accusation being leveled against me by someone who may not be entirely in their right mind. Not only do I know that I did not do this but I also know that no one did this as the "this" in question did not happen and could not have happened.

I suppose I cannot say more since the name I use here might as well be my real name being that it is the name I use everywhere and being that it is usually linked to my real name.

I kind of almost wish that Byington, Felicity Lee and their ilk could feel what I feel right now. Not even the feeling of being falsely accused but merely the feeling of knowing that such a forthcoming false accusation could be a very real possibility.
cosmicaug is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2012, 11:43 AM   #884
Roma
Master Poster

Originally Posted by cosmicaug View Post
This is striking a little too close to home right now.

Though unrelated to SRA, a situation developed over the weekend which has the potential of a serious accusation being leveled against me by someone who may not be entirely in their right mind. Not only do I know that I did not do this but I also know that no one did this as the "this" in question did not happen and could not have happened.

I suppose I cannot say more since the name I use here might as well be my real name being that it is the name I use everywhere and being that it is usually linked to my real name.

I kind of almost wish that Byington, Felicity Lee and their ilk could feel what I feel right now. Not even the feeling of being falsely accused but merely the feeling of knowing that such a forthcoming false accusation could be a very real possibility.
Yes, well, we're all sitting ducks with this kind of thing, if you've ever been a teacher, or a neighbour, or a friend of a person who is/was accused, or belong to the same team or church or have a job working with someone who is "recovering" memories, not any person is safe from being caught in this net.

As for Byington, Lee, and their ilk they are in a constant state of worry and paranoia thinking that you and I and our ilk are planning to assassinate them during some horrible sexually sadistic satanic ritual any day now. Sounds fair (wink)

Last edited by Roma; 19th November 2012 at 11:52 AM.
Roma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2012, 12:32 PM   #885
douglas mesner
Thinker

Originally Posted by Altus View Post
There was also some talk with another guy (another guest from Dr. Phil?) on the Amazon boards about an agreement with the show not to talk. Since then Byington seems to be a little subdued, which is a bad sign because it means it still could air.
I encourage anybody with the gusto to do it to go to the Dr. Phil website and submit a message to them regarding what you know regarding 22 Faces and the sheer irresponsibility in presenting a highly dubious diagnosis as evidence of a satanic cult conspiracy and paranormal activities. Feel free to mention, of course, the revelation that Utah Attorney General's office is quite clear that they have never worked with Byington at any level, despite her presentation of herself as a consultant for them. The show's contact form is a simple form that is filled out, submitted, and lost to the sender, so keep track of the time, date, and text of your message. If you're comfortable doing so, perhaps you could post all of that here, so we have a running record of all that they ignored in the case of their airing the show.
douglas mesner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2012, 12:46 PM   #886
douglas mesner
Thinker

Originally Posted by cosmicaug View Post
I've actually personally had these kinds of situations a few times. Once I was out late with a girl, brought her back to her place where she lived with her parents around 3am. Saw her walk into her own front door before I left. Next day, her parents were saying she was missing and that they had waited up all night for her. They said I was lying about dropping her off. They made a big thing of it. She was gone for days, no trace. Worse, when we had gone out, we walked around a wooded area for hours with no other people around. Long story short: she had gone into her house when I dropped her off, her parents were asleep, she decided she was irate with her parents for whatever reason, and took off for several days without contacting them. Her idiot parents never apologized to me. This kind of thing is harrowing when it happens but, if it's as you say and the event could not have happened, you don't have nearly as much to worry about if say, it WERE an SRA accusation. The difference with SRA is that there are mobs of Felicity-like zombies willing to "validate" any accusation of that kind, and there is a little industry with a vested interest in getting any conviction they can.
douglas mesner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2012, 01:27 PM   #887
cosmicaug
Muse

Originally Posted by douglas mesner View Post
I've actually personally had these kinds of situations a few times. Once I was out late with a girl, brought her back to her place where she lived with her parents around 3am. Saw her walk into her own front door before I left. Next day, her parents were saying she was missing and that they had waited up all night for her. They said I was lying about dropping her off. They made a big thing of it. She was gone for days, no trace. Worse, when we had gone out, we walked around a wooded area for hours with no other people around. Long story short: she had gone into her house when I dropped her off, her parents were asleep, she decided she was irate with her parents for whatever reason, and took off for several days without contacting them. Her idiot parents never apologized to me. This kind of thing is harrowing when it happens but, if it's as you say and the event could not have happened, you don't have nearly as much to worry about if say, it WERE an SRA accusation. The difference with SRA is that there are mobs of Felicity-like zombies willing to "validate" any accusation of that kind, and there is a little industry with a vested interest in getting any conviction they can.
I do not find the above very comforting. I know it could not have happened. However, though the potential claim has one somewhat questionable feature, it does not rise to the level of impossible claims such as those mentioned in 22 faces. That is, that I know it could not have happened does not mean that it would be obvious to an outside (non)observer that it could not have happened. It's the sort of thing which would involve nothing more than my potential accuser's word against mine and I am not comfortable with that at all.

According to Felicity Lee logic, the alleged victim must be validated at all costs in anything they say. That effectively makes me, the alleged perpetrator, guilty whether anything happened at all or not.
cosmicaug is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2012, 01:54 PM   #888
Strawberry
Critical Thinker

Felicity Lee logic isn't going to convince anyone with a working brain. If you seriously think you're in danger of being falsely accused of something you should probably consult an attorney, but if its a case of someone merely spreading false rumours about you, bear in mind that there will be at least as many who don't believe your accuser, if not more so.
Strawberry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2012, 02:37 PM   #889
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
Felicity Lee logic isn't going to convince anyone with a working brain. If you seriously think you're in danger of being falsely accused of something you should probably consult an attorney, but if its a case of someone merely spreading false rumours about you, bear in mind that there will be at least as many who don't believe your accuser, if not more so.
Well said. I agree.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2012, 02:51 PM   #890
Altus
Critical Thinker

...but if its a case of someone merely spreading false rumours about you, bear in mind that there will be at least as many who don't believe your accuser, if not more so.
I wish that were always the case. But, sadly, it doesn't always play out that way.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/harveysi...e-witch-hunts/
Old 20th November 2012, 01:52 AM   #891
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Wow, Blue Moon's review was busy today! I've only just had time to read all the new comments and make one myself before I now have to call it a day.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2012, 07:32 AM   #892
Altus
Critical Thinker

Wow, Blue Moon's review was busy today! I've only just had time to read all the new comments and make one myself before I now have to call it a day.
Yeah, on one level it's Felicity trying to drum up business by wiping her pseudonym all over teh interwebs in the hopes of ensnaring another DID. On another it's real-time testimony to just how awful this narrative is. It offers no hope. People in it are always trying to draw others in. It distorts reality. Notice how Sky just can't see the manipulation going on in Judy's video?

The number of women <SNIP> stuck in this toxic narrative for the rest of their lives (once they enter, it's soooo damned hard to shake) rips at my heart. And more are being enlisted by these therapists who might well number in the thousand---some deluded, like Judy, some fully aware of what they are doing.

Among Doug's upcoming ventures is to attempt to take the ISSTD (where a lot of these therapist vampires dwell and strategize ) down. I'm right behind you, man!

Edited by Locknar:  SNIPed, breach of rule 10.

Last edited by Locknar; 20th November 2012 at 11:01 AM.
Altus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2012, 12:19 PM   #893
douglas mesner
Thinker

It's all the same thing over and over again. Felicity took some time off to regroup and she had an epiphany: I must have been sexually abused. This, it seems, explains my aggression. Oddly enough, I think she also suggested that many others were too timid to comment on Amazon because they were sexually abused. Sexual abuse, apparently, explains everything. It both both proves 22 Faces and discredits me. It is both a weapon and a shield. It is the prime motivator behind everybody's activities. What's missing is any indication of what a person might be like if not sexually abused? Foible-free? Character-free? In the demented world of Felicity is sexual abuse something of a second birth in which we become who we are? Of course, either way I could answer the question she could make it fit her theory. If I were to say I was abused she would say, as she already said, something to the effect that if I can make Jenny Hill's story go away I can make my own go away too! (That's really one of my favorite contortions so far) Or if I were to say I was never abused she could simply say (if she didn't accuse me of lying) that I thus have no right to comment upon issues of abuse -- because, to be sure, despite the constant inquiries regarding the supernatural elements and inconsistencies in the book, she wants to make this (as she seems to want to make all things) an issue of child abuse. I really do find it educational, though, to see how this one idea is applied to absolutely all things as the definitive answer.
Old 20th November 2012, 02:17 PM   #894
Altus
Critical Thinker

Looks like Byington or someone at Tate has been tracking us as I don't recall tying my avatar here into my screen name on Amazon. (Smile everyone!) Apparently, she signed something with the Dr. Phil Show so I don't know if she is posting or it is someone at her publisher posting under her account:

Initial post: Nov 20, 2012 8:16:11 AM PST
Last edited by the author 20 minutes ago
Judy Byington says:
Thank you, Tenwill. I agree. Jenny is the sweetest, most forgiving person I have ever known. I'm sure my comment will be followed with posts by Douglas Misicko using alias of Doug Mesner, Ac2012, Altus Avatar and CritThink, plus his cohorts So Stormy, Orphia Nay, Kelly Anderson, Strawberry and Scott Sommers. They will try to convince people not to read 22 Faces. But, since my and Jenny's purpose in writing her biography, which has been vetted by the most prestigious professionals in the field of Dissociation, is to make the public aware of the prevalence of Satanic Ritual Abuse, one wonders why these people from Radio Free Satan, the Process Group, Atheist-nexus and other false memory proponent blogs put forth so much effort to try to disprove the biography of someone they have never met.

http://tinyurl.com/JudyAmaz

Last edited by Altus; 20th November 2012 at 02:22 PM.
Old 20th November 2012, 02:33 PM   #895
Orphia Nay
Tagger

For someone an "expert" at identifying "multiple personalities", Judy fails to identify totally different individuals. More proof DID is a massive fabrication on behalf of "therapists".
Old 20th November 2012, 03:26 PM   #896
Altus
Critical Thinker

For someone an "expert" at identifying "multiple personalities", Judy fails to identify totally different individuals. More proof DID is a massive fabrication on behalf of "therapists".
"Radio Free Satan, the Process Group, Atheist-nexus and other false memory proponent blogs..."

She's also suffering from a severe case of "associative disorder" ...typically seen among conspiracy theorists. Hey, I'm contacting the DSM folk. I think I just coined a new one!
Old 20th November 2012, 07:15 PM   #897
Altus
Critical Thinker

It's all the same thing over and over again. Felicity took some time off to regroup and she had an epiphany: I must have been sexually abused. This, it seems, explains my aggression. Oddly enough, I think she also suggested that many others were too timid to comment on Amazon because they were sexually abused. Sexual abuse, apparently, explains everything. It both both proves 22 Faces and discredits me. It is both a weapon and a shield. It is the prime motivator behind everybody's activities. What's missing is any indication of what a person might be like if not sexually abused? Foible-free? Character-free? In the demented world of Felicity is sexual abuse something of a second birth in which we become who we are? Of course, either way I could answer the question she could make it fit her theory. If I were to say I was abused she would say, as she already said, something to the effect that if I can make Jenny Hill's story go away I can make my own go away too! (That's really one of my favorite contortions so far) Or if I were to say I was never abused she could simply say (if she didn't accuse me of lying) that I thus have no right to comment upon issues of abuse -- because, to be sure, despite the constant inquiries regarding the supernatural elements and inconsistencies in the book, she wants to make this (as she seems to want to make all things) an issue of child abuse. I really do find it educational, though, to see how this one idea is applied to absolutely all things as the definitive answer.
She's now deleting a lot of those comments on Amazon...especially the graphic ones. I don't know if she figured that it did not show her in the best light as someone who runs a non-profit that professes to support mentally vulnerable people or there is some other explanation...but she's going through her history like Ms. Pac-Man.
Old 20th November 2012, 09:28 PM   #898
Roma
Master Poster

..... which has been vetted by the most prestigious professionals in the field of Dissociation,http://tinyurl.com/JudyAmaz
Ya sure, in the field of dissociation !

Sort of like bragging your masterpiece was vetted by the most prestigous professionals in the field of alien abduction.
I know what the most prestigious professionals in the field of legitimate psychiatry have to say about Judy and Ross and their kind. It's what Dr. Harold Merskeywrote at the end of the psychiatric assessment he did for me when I was suing Ross. Merskey wrote that Colin Ross and this MPD/DID recovered memory therapy was: "an astonishing episode to the detriment of psychiatry".

Yup, that's a quote fromthe last page of my psychiatric assessment, feel free to copy that.

https://sites.google.com/site/memory...merskey-letter

Last edited by Roma; 20th November 2012 at 09:41 PM.
Roma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2012, 11:51 PM   #899
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Great letter, Roma! Bookmarked.
Old 21st November 2012, 07:20 AM   #900
joesixpack
Illuminator

Looks like Byington or someone at Tate has been tracking us as I don't recall tying my avatar here into my screen name on Amazon. ...

Quote:
"... I'm sure my comment will be followed with posts by Douglas Misicko using alias of Doug Mesner, Ac2012, Altus Avatar and CritThink, plus his cohorts So Stormy, Orphia Nay, Kelly Anderson, Strawberry and Scott Sommers. "
WTF? I don't even get a mention? Sheesh! Ungrateful ****!

Last edited by joesixpack; 21st November 2012 at 07:23 AM.
joesixpack is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 08:14 AM   #901
Altus
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by joesixpack View Post
WTF? I don't even get a mention? Sheesh! Ungrateful ****!
I'm going over to Amazon right now and taking this up with her. For Chrissakes, these half-assed conspiracy theorists are ruining it for the ones who do put in the time.

Got your back, joe! http://tinyurl.com/byrk55o

Last edited by Altus; 21st November 2012 at 08:24 AM.
Old 21st November 2012, 09:10 AM   #902
joesixpack
Illuminator

I'm going over to Amazon right now and taking this up with her. For Chrissakes, these half-assed conspiracy theorists are ruining it for the ones who do put in the time.

Got your back, joe! http://tinyurl.com/byrk55o
I LITERALLY laughed out loud.
Old 21st November 2012, 10:01 AM   #903
Roma
Master Poster

I wish there were some way for me to post on that Amazon site, but alas only paying customers can.

Last edited by Roma; 21st November 2012 at 10:09 AM.
Old 21st November 2012, 10:53 AM   #904
douglas mesner
Thinker

Originally Posted by Roma View Post
I wish there were some way for me to post on that Amazon site, but alas only paying customers can.
It's a good thing for that, actually. Imagine the mess of multi-named morons who would be polluting the threads if you only had to register an email.
Old 21st November 2012, 10:57 AM   #905
Altus
Critical Thinker

It's a good thing for that, actually. Imagine the mess of multi-named morons who would be polluting the threads if you only had to register an email.
Wait? What's in that crisp November air I'm inhaling, a scent of irony?
Old 21st November 2012, 02:20 PM   #906
Strawberry
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Judy Byington says:
Thank you, Tenwill. I agree. Jenny is the sweetest, most forgiving person I have ever known. I'm sure my comment will be followed with posts by Douglas Misicko using alias of Doug Mesner, Ac2012, Altus Avatar and CritThink, plus his cohorts So Stormy, Orphia Nay, Kelly Anderson, Strawberry and Scott Sommers.
I wonder why I got a mention when I haven't commented on Amazon at all? Like Roma, I'm unable to comment because I've never bought anything from them.
Strawberry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 02:33 PM   #907
Altus
Critical Thinker

I wonder why I got a mention when I haven't commented on Amazon at all? Like Roma, I'm unable to comment because I've never bought anything from them.
Someone at her publisher, Tate Publishing, Felicity, and/or Judy herself or all of the above has/have been monitoring the forum would be the logical conclusion. Must confuse the crap out of them. First we were all Doug's followers, than Satanists, then False Memory Syndrome members. I don't think they can process skepticism.

I got two mentions. I'm CritThink on Amazon. But I am still Doug to her/them. Watching someone trying to organize information who is subject to delusion is interesting, to say the least.

Last edited by Altus; 21st November 2012 at 02:49 PM.
Old 21st November 2012, 02:41 PM   #908
Squeegee Beckenheim
Philosopher

Hi, Judy!

*waves*
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 02:41 PM   #909
Strawberry
Critical Thinker

I told them ages ago over on ABC4, before they removed the comments, that the reason we were all there commenting was because a link to the article was posted here. Naively, I thought that would reassure them that we were just people from a perfectly respectable internet forum, and not a shadowy Satanic conspiracy. I seem to have underestimated the power of delusion.
Old 21st November 2012, 02:51 PM   #910
Altus
Critical Thinker

I told them ages ago over on ABC4, before they removed the comments, that the reason we were all there commenting was because a link to the article was posted here. Naively, I thought that would reassure them that we were just people from a perfectly respectable internet forum, and not a shadowy Satanic conspiracy. I seem to have underestimated the power of delusion.
Strawberry, can I borrow your robe? I got a coven meeting this weekend and mine's at the cleaners. Thanks in advance!

Besides, Squeegee's gif sometimes shows someone in a robe. That's all the proof they need. Wouldn't behoove them to peruse the site or anything. Lordy, they could catch some critical thinking skills.

Last edited by Altus; 21st November 2012 at 03:11 PM.
Old 21st November 2012, 03:03 PM   #911
Strawberry
Critical Thinker

Strawberry, can I borrow your robe? I got a coven meeting this weekend and mine's at the cleaners. Thanks in advance!
Sorry Altus, but our particular chapter of the International Satanic Conspiracy does everything naked so I don't actually own a robe. You can have a ride on my broomstick if you like though.
Old 21st November 2012, 03:30 PM   #912
Altus
Critical Thinker

Sorry Altus, but our particular chapter of the International Satanic Conspiracy does everything naked so I don't actually own a robe. You can have a ride on my broomstick if you like though.
Only if your chapter owns an autoclave for the sticks.
Old 21st November 2012, 04:39 PM   #913
douglas mesner
Thinker

I got an email from Jenny Hill's son. He was very limited on what he could say because he signed a contract with the Dr. Phil Show, which he also appeared on. He only said that he has been following the comments on Amazon and has followed the discussion here, and that he wishes he could participate. Once the show airs, which he believes it is still set to do, he'll be able to give his side of the story. I'm sure that none of this has been easy for him -- having a delusional unlicensed therapist attempting to build a career from exploiting his mother -- but let's let him know that if Phil puts a positive face on this blatantly absurd story, it's only the beginning of the battle...

Last edited by douglas mesner; 21st November 2012 at 04:42 PM.
Old 21st November 2012, 04:54 PM   #914
Baffled
Critical Thinker

I got an email from < snip >.
Aren't you betraying a confidence by letting "them"* know ahead of time?

Or is it just my paranoid schizophrenia acting up again? I get that way around the witches sabbath.

* y'know: "Them"
Baffled is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 08:02 PM   #915
Roma
Master Poster

Only if your chapter owns an autoclave for the sticks.

Funny !

And I'm glad that Jenny's son, or anyone else in Jenny's family know that we're all right behind them.

Last edited by Roma; 21st November 2012 at 08:08 PM.
Old 21st November 2012, 08:09 PM   #916
douglas mesner
Thinker

Originally Posted by Baffled View Post
Aren't you betraying a confidence by letting "them"* know ahead of time?

Or is it just my paranoid schizophrenia acting up again? I get that way around the witches sabbath.
No -- he was able to say as much as he said, and he didn't say anything more than that. I just thought it might be nice for some here to know that it's not just Judy and her delusional crowd that are silently following this forum, others have apparently seen it too and possibly find hope in the fact that there are rational people who still aren't willing to accept outrageous supernatural claims, bogus theories of psychology, and paranoid conspiracy narratives on no evidence at all, nor are we breezily dismissive of such irrationality as mere simple and harmless entertainment -- especially as they devour lives.
Old 21st November 2012, 11:14 PM   #917
Roma
Master Poster

.... I just thought it might be nice for some here to know that it's not just Judy and her delusional crowd that are silently following this forum....
So far this thread has had almost 25,000 views
you think Amazon and Dr.Phil would take notice ?
Old 22nd November 2012, 12:08 PM   #918
Strawberry
Critical Thinker

Although this article isn't about recovered memories or satanic panic, I think anyone following this debate would do well to read it....

http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/t...t?oid=15337239
Old 22nd November 2012, 05:01 PM   #919
Altus
Critical Thinker

Although this article isn't about recovered memories or satanic panic, I think anyone following this debate would do well to read it....

http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/t...t?oid=15337239
IMHO, it's much more complicated. Going through this DID or SRA or trauma therapy can literally distort a life narrative. The fear is real that shapes these narratives and that fear is manipulated in a client/therapist relationship (both can be totally ignorant of narrative manipulation process) via cognitive bias, in the same way a person who consults a Ouija board comes to believe it is revealing truth. However, the cognitive bias of DID/parts/trauma therapy can kill. The memories that come out of this therapy play as real as any memory over time so that even when women recover from the therapy, they may not recover from the memories. The memories have literally been encoded in women's brains right next to other memories. Their narratives are very real to them. They are not intentionally deceiving.

http://www.cogsci.ucsd.edu/~mboyle/C...20memories.pdf

Last edited by Altus; 22nd November 2012 at 05:08 PM.
Old 22nd November 2012, 08:26 PM   #920
Roma
Master Poster

Their narratives are very real to them. They are not intentionally deceiving.

http://www.cogsci.ucsd.edu/~mboyle/C...20memories.pdf

That's right Altus, and I tried to explain that to the father and family of a man I met in the court hallway several years ago before he went into the court room to stand trial because of his adult daughter's recovered memories of sexual abuse. He was so confused and his family so angry about the false accusations, they couldn't understand why she was lying. But as the trial went on it became clear that she was being extremely manipulated by her social workers and she was another victim of medical fraud, as a matter of fact she was being treated on the same ward that I had been treated on, and had the same nurses and social workers, all who were trained by Colin Ross.
By the end of that trial the judge "stayed" the charges against the father, and the judge said that he did not believe that any of the sexual abuse claimed had actually happened.
The social workers were furious !
I felt so sorry for that family including that daughter. I hoped that the information I provided to that family helped them understand what happened but I couldn't get near the daughter. If I had been able to I don't suppose she would have been able to understand though, she was under the control of some pretty ******-up therapists who weren't about to let go of their prize. It's been so many years since I saw her surrounded by them in that court room, she was so timid and had repeatedly said on the witness stand that she didn't want to be there and in her hospital records it had been recorded that she had repeatedly asked her social workers not to have the police lay those charges against her father. And in those hospital records read out in court it showed how many times she had been counseled by her therapists about her "denial" which was a "symptom" of her repressed memories of prolonged horrible childhood sexual abuse.
So of course the father can be pitied for the hell that recovered memory therapy put him through, and the $90,000. it cost him to defend hemself.
And of course the family can be pitied for the hell they were put through too, they suffered along with their father and they spent a thousand sleepless nights afraid that he would be sent to prison, a very real possibility.
But pity the daughter too because she has lost her memories of the loving father and family that she grew up with. Her memories have been replaced with a life time of nightmares.
If by some ******* good luck she can ever free herself from the grips of those recovered memory therapists and social workers she may slowly, over years, scrape some of the lies off of her mind, but she didn't put them there and she isn't responsible for them, those ***holes who created those lies and embedded them so firmly in her mind through the use of junk science, hypnosis and drugs are responsible. Hate them, not her.

Last edited by Roma; 22nd November 2012 at 08:29 PM.

JREF Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal