JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Old 27th October 2012, 08:44 PM   #121
Nowhere Man
Thinker

Originally Posted by fromdownunder View Post
Well, somebody had to do it. Obligatory Monty Python Sketch follows:
Technically, that's from At Last the 1948 Show. It was revived for some MP (and other) stage shows.

Fred
Old 28th October 2012, 01:14 AM   #122
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Originally Posted by PeaceCrusader View Post
What is causing global warming?
Human activity, principally the burning of fossil fuel. This has increased the amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere by about 40% so far. Carbon dioxide is a greenhouse gas, which means it traps the heat from the sun at the earth's surface for longer than would otherwise be the case.

Primitive people attributed natural phenomena like rain, thunder, volcanic eruptions etc to gods, but thanks to a few centuries of scientific discoveries we now know better. You would too, if you spent more time studying science and less poring over the words of an obvious fraud. Nothing that occurs in the natural world requires a god to explain it.
Old 28th October 2012, 01:49 AM   #123
Patchwork Moth
Student

Regarding your questions about Angelina Imden and the golem Pontius Pilate, you still do not understand that the spirit of Ama and the “medium” Ka Apaz are two distinct separate entities. Most of what I share to you are what Ama said verbatim.
We do understand that you believe they are two separate entities. We don't -and you have provided no evidence that they aren't the same person.
Patchwork Moth is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2012, 02:02 AM   #124
Craig4
Philosopher

What is causing global warming? What are there more tornadoes in the US? And massive. And frightening. Why are hurricanes more into higher categories?

When I was growing up in the Philippines in the 1950s and 1960s, the typhoons were usually about 100 kph. Now, we have more than 200 kph. What’s going on?
Have you considered asking a meteorologist or perhaps physicist who studies climates? This is some pretty straight forward science here. Some silly little superstition would hardly add value to anyone's understanding of climate change.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2012, 03:07 AM   #125
pakeha
Penultimate Amazing

...When I was growing up in the Philippines in the 1950s and 1960s, the typhoons were usually about 100 kph. Now, we have more than 200 kph. What’s going on?
What's going on?
Try reading these stats on super typhoons in the Philippines:
http://www.typhoon2000.ph/stormstats...erTyphoons.htm

I've never experience a super typhoon and hope I never will.
But it would never occur to me to attribute divine characteristics to a natural phenomenon.
pakeha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2012, 03:50 PM   #126
PeaceCrusader
Banned

Originally Posted by Patchwork Moth View Post
We do understand that you believe they are two separate entities. We don't -and you have provided no evidence that they aren't the same person.

Please ask Astreja regarding the voices that I provided, whether the spirit of Ama’s voice is just being faked by Ka Apaz or not.
PeaceCrusader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2012, 03:52 PM   #127
PeaceCrusader
Banned

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
You don't need to do that, either. If you click on the little arrow button next to the name, it'll take you directly to the post you are quoting.

Thank you for your suggestion. I have deleted also the name of the poster and the message number that I am responding to because, as you say, “the little button next to the name, it’ll take you directly to the post you are quoting.” They are for my own use anyway. If anyone is interested to see the post that I am responding to, they can click the little red button. Usually, I respond to the whole post.
PeaceCrusader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2012, 04:09 PM   #128
Elizabeth I
Olympic Equestrian Wannabe

Please ask Astreja regarding the voices that I provided, whether the spirit of Ama’s voice is just being faked by Ka Apaz or not.
I believe Astreja has already stated her firm opinion (one that I share, by the way) that Ka Apaz is faking everything she says and does. If you have missed that, you are not reading carefully enough.

• There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. - Winston Churchill
• Never wrestle with a pig - you just get dirty and the pig enjoys it.
• My blog: Pardon me, may I ask...
Elizabeth I is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2012, 04:32 PM   #129
PeaceCrusader
Banned

Originally Posted by pakeha View Post
What's going on?
Try reading these stats on super typhoons in the Philippines:
http://www.typhoon2000.ph/stormstats...erTyphoons.htm

I've never experience a super typhoon and hope I never will.
But it would never occur to me to attribute divine characteristics to a natural phenomenon.

Thank you, pakeha, for providing the info about super typhoons in the Philippines.

I was born and grew up in Manila. I attended the university from mid-1960s and married and lived in Laguna province, 65 km from Manila.

I did not even hear most of the typhoons that was mentioned in your link maybe because they might have occurred faraway from where I lived.

Notice that most of the super typhoons in the link occurred after 1979 when the prophecies were revealed. What Ama told us is that “What is happening to our neighbor will occur in our home too.” I think it means that typhoons and flooding and landslides and other calamities may be occurring faraway from our place will occur also in our place. Who are our neighbors? I think they may be people in other provinces or countries.

If we don’t experience one calamity, it may be some other kind of calamity. We may be spared of typhoons or hurricanes but we may experience drought or bush fires or tornadoes or earthquakes which God can have a hand. Not with humans though because God has given him the wisdom to control his own destiny.
Old 28th October 2012, 04:50 PM   #130
PeaceCrusader
Banned

Originally Posted by fromdownunder View Post
Of course you do. You were practically salivating over the idea that you would get 10 wives, a free house and a petting zoo and university just up the road, and that FIVE BILLION people would die.

You wanted FIVE BILLION people to die. And now you don't even appear to understand why people on this and your other threads think that your desire for this to happen is probably the most revolting thing that they (we) have ever heard. So your "I don't like war" thingy is utter crap.

You did nothing but express your disappointment that the Olympic Games prophesy was a complete abject failure, and continued to hope that WWIII would happen soon. And you are still hoping for WWIII will happen. Buy your own house.

Norm

The spirit of Ama has been telling us about this war maybe since the 1980s. On 1986-06-13, He even related to us about that war where a neighbor played the song “Since I don’t have you” in the background.

This is one thing that I learned in life. As long as a person lives, he needs a roof over his head. I am 65 and retired. I have a home paid so I don’t have to work to pay for my accommodation. I do not expect to be homeless.

Regarding women and sex, I don’t have any desire for them. Sex is just a fleeting bliss. I seek something that will last forever even when I have passed over – and this is with the only true God.
Old 28th October 2012, 05:36 PM   #131
abaddon
Philosopher

You really would have to be very, very stupid not to realise Astreja's opinion or mine, or anyone elses on this thread.
Old 28th October 2012, 07:32 PM   #132
Astreja
Springy Goddess

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
You really would have to be very, very stupid not to realise Astreja's opinion or mine, or anyone elses on this thread.
<unlurk>

I'm currently playing with the audio files in Audacity. Other than minor differences in pitch and cadence, all three voices (Aristeo, Ka Apaz and Ama) are nondescript and have very few distinguishing characteristics.

Recording quality is extremely poor, with multiple, sometimes overlapping voices in some samples. That said, I think that the voice of "Ama" is entirely ordinary and can almost certainly be attributed to a human rather than a god. I'm still working out what tools and methodology I need to analyze the samples in more detail, but currently I think that the voice of Ka Apaz simply isn't different enough from the voice of Ama to exclude her as a suspect. If she dropped from a head voice into a chest voice, reduced pitch by about half an octave and spoke more slowly, that would give a good approximation of the Ama voice.

It is also quite possible that an unnamed male accomplice provided the voice of Ama via a wireless transmitter, with the receiver hidden in the hair of Ka Apaz or concealed under the covering she used when "channelling" Ama.

From what I have heard so far, I hear nothing supernatural or even unusual in the recordings. I hear only ordinary human voices, and am reasonably certain at this point that Ama is indeed bogus and a purely human construction.

<relurk>
Astreja is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2012, 08:41 PM   #133
Paul2
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Agatha View Post
Threads, I remember that. There was one I saw in the early eighties too, what was that called? We watched it at school and it was well scary.

Edited: having googled, I'm almost certain it was The War Game, as I remember at least some of it being in B&W and the description of the action accords with my memory. It's from the 60s but was banned for a while for being too terrifying.
That movie scarred me (no pun intended) for a long time, I saw it when it first came out. Absolutely brutal movie, and brilliant.
Old 28th October 2012, 09:25 PM   #134
Mudcat
Man of a Thousand Memes

Maybe my google fu is too weak, but I couldn't find the prophecies of AMA... If google hasn't heard of it (apart from this very thread) I'm inclined to think that it's not very well known.

Kopji: A perfect utopia where everyone follows the rules is more like a hell than a heaven.
Mudcat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2012, 10:19 PM   #135
fromdownunder
Illuminator

The spirit of Ama has been telling us about this war maybe since the 1980s. On 1986-06-13, He even related to us about that war where a neighbor played the song “Since I don’t have you” in the background.
And you wanted WWIII to happen. You hoped for it, you probably prayed for it. Skirting around the issue by ignoring it completely does not sit well with those of us (all of us) that can see what you have posted this year.

As I said, and as you ignored, you wanted 5 Billion people to die, and were looking forward to it regardless of any other outcome.

Can't you even see that what you posted relating to this this makes you look like a totally revolting SOB? Are you immune to acting like a human being? Is being sick a requirement of following whateverhernameis? Are evil thoughts, and dreams like yours (YAY! 5 Billion are going to die!) a requirement to follow your stupid old hag?

Norm
fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2012, 10:34 PM   #136
gabeygoat
Muse

Originally Posted by Astreja View Post
<unlurk>

I'm currently playing with the audio files in Audacity. Other than minor differences in pitch and cadence, all three voices (Aristeo, Ka Apaz and Ama) are nondescript and have very few distinguishing characteristics.

Recording quality is extremely poor, with multiple, sometimes overlapping voices in some samples. That said, I think that the voice of "Ama" is entirely ordinary and can almost certainly be attributed to a human rather than a god. I'm still working out what tools and methodology I need to analyze the samples in more detail, but currently I think that the voice of Ka Apaz simply isn't different enough from the voice of Ama to exclude her as a suspect. If she dropped from a head voice into a chest voice, reduced pitch by about half an octave and spoke more slowly, that would give a good approximation of the Ama voice.

It is also quite possible that an unnamed male accomplice provided the voice of Ama via a wireless transmitter, with the receiver hidden in the hair of Ka Apaz or concealed under the covering she used when "channelling" Ama.

From what I have heard so far, I hear nothing supernatural or even unusual in the recordings. I hear only ordinary human voices, and am reasonably certain at this point that Ama is indeed bogus and a purely human construction.

<relurk>

I'm not familiar with audacity, but I'm assuming you could use the pitch shifter on Ka Apaz's voice and see if it approximates "Ama's"
gabeygoat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2012, 01:07 AM   #137
pakeha
Penultimate Amazing

Hi, PC.
I've listened to the recordings and to be honest, I hear nothing supernatural, even in the 'whistles' tapes. I suggest you listen to tapes of other mediums to hear just how mediums work.
It's a nasty business, that, feigning to 'communicate' with the 'other side'.

Thank you, pakeha, for providing the info about super typhoons in the Philippines. ...
Notice that most of the super typhoons in the link occurred after 1979 when the prophecies were revealed. What Ama told us is that “What is happening to our neighbor will occur in our home too.” I think it means that typhoons and flooding and landslides and other calamities may be occurring faraway from our place will occur also in our place. Who are our neighbors? I think they may be people in other provinces or countries.

If we don’t experience one calamity, it may be some other kind of calamity. We may be spared of typhoons or hurricanes but we may experience drought or bush fires or tornadoes or earthquakes which God can have a hand. Not with humans though because God has given him the wisdom to control his own destiny.
No worries, PC.
It was interesting to hunt out that data.
Again, associating natural phenomena with supernatural causes is simply ridiculous, so please take the time to learn about meteorological events.

... I seek something that will last forever even when I have passed over – and this is with the only true God.
I can honour that belief.
So why do you give credence to a medium?
This is clearly forbidden by the bible.
Very clearly.
pakeha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2012, 01:18 AM   #138
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Oh, to the OP:

No.

Hans
Old 29th October 2012, 01:36 AM   #139
SezMe
post-pre-born

Sorry, late to the party.

Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
But the one's that offer no time deadline can be counted as successes because, of course, they will happen at some point in the future. So we can dismiss trivialities like the failure of WWIII to disrupt the 2012 Olympic Games and focus on the successes such as the assurance that a cat will give birth to a human baby, which we know is true because it hasn't happened yet.
Also, I don't remember PC stating that these prophecies have to happen on Earth. Maybe they came true in the Zorg galaxy.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2012, 01:39 AM   #140
SezMe
post-pre-born

The conquerors will ask the survivor: ‘Do you believe in God?’
I posted this when you uttered this drivel previously but I'll repeat myself. In the level of nuclear war you have stated will happen, there will be NO conquerors or survivors.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2012, 02:01 AM   #141
pakeha
Penultimate Amazing

...Who will kill the Filipinos? According to Ama, their fellow Filipinos. Killing fields. The conquerors will ask the survivor: ‘Do you believe in God?’ If you answer yes, you will get killed. The Muslims will ask as well: ‘Will you convert to Islam?’ If you answer no, you will get killed.’
So, not just communists but muslims as well?
Do you really not see the contradiction there, PC?
This medium's scare mongering swings between anti-muslim and anti-communist ranting.

...He also said that one day, the Filipinos will be surprised to find that they are surrounded by communists. I think it will be the Filipino communists, under the direction of the Chinese who are also communists, who will interrogate the survivors.

Ama said that the Chinese will leave the Philippines after a few years, and the Philippines will not be touched by any foreign powers anymore.
This really sounds like the outdated scare tactics of a local politician than anything else.
Neither PC not the medium seem to have a handle on what the aftermath of such a nuclear war would be.
Old 29th October 2012, 04:31 PM   #142
PeaceCrusader
Banned

Originally Posted by Agatha View Post
You are 'consoled' that there are tensions which could lead to war (but probably won't)? That is an appalling thing to say.

None of these 19 prophecies has happened, and many are mere restatements of the status quo so are not prophecies in any sense of the word.

1 VIOLENT WEATHER - More violent manifestations of the weather will occur, causing devastation to both people and crops

More violent than what? There will always be violent weather from time to time, and occasionally people or crops are caught up in it. This is not prophecy, merely a statement of how the world has always been.

What is this “Frankenstorm”? What is this Hurricane Sandy? Is this not violent?
Old 29th October 2012, 04:39 PM   #143
Mudcat
Man of a Thousand Memes

Hurricane Sandy, last I heard, was still a class 1 hurricane. Speaking as someone who has actually weathered out (no pun intended) much worse hurricanes than that, it could scarcely be called a "Frankenstorm".

Kopji: A perfect utopia where everyone follows the rules is more like a hell than a heaven.
Mudcat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2012, 04:45 PM   #144
Akuma Tennou
Thinker

that's not the point. what we are telling you is that you can have absolutely no proof of today's meteorological events being more violent than the ones of the past. systematical records of these events are recent. and evidently there was none before man could write. however geological features can teach us we've luckily missed a lot of cataclysmic events such as the Missoula floodsWP
Old 29th October 2012, 04:49 PM   #145
PeaceCrusader
Banned

"Double posts". Same as post #142.

Thanks, AdMan.

Last edited by PeaceCrusader; 29th October 2012 at 05:13 PM.
Old 29th October 2012, 04:50 PM   #146
Madalch
The Jester

Yes, but it's a hurricane. There's hurricanes every year.

I think the current levels of violent weather fit global warming models better than your prophecy.
Old 29th October 2012, 05:05 PM   #147
PeaceCrusader
Banned

How do you delete a post? Post 142 and 145 are the same. How can you delete post 145. There seems to be no option to delete a post once posted. To edit, yes, but to delete, none?

My computer is slow at the moment.
Old 29th October 2012, 05:08 PM   #148
AdMan
Philosopher

How do you delete a post? Post 142 and 145 are the same. How can you delete post 145. There seems to be no option to delete a post once posted. To edit, yes, but to delete, none?

Simply edit it to say something like, "Double post."

And while you get your computer trouble sorted out, try learning a little bit about the history of natural disasters.
Old 29th October 2012, 05:14 PM   #149
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

How do you delete a post? Post 142 and 145 are the same.

All of your posts are the same.

How can you delete post 145. There seems to be no option to delete a post once posted. To edit, yes, but to delete, none?

Why not edit it to say "Sorry everyone, I now realise that Ka Apaz is nothing more than a third rate con artist and I won't be posting any more of this Ama nonsense"?

The drivel filter needs replacing.

Life is mostly Froth and Bubble - Adam Lindsay Gordon

The Australasian Skeptics Forum
Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2012, 05:17 PM   #150
AdMan
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Akhenaten View Post
All of your posts are the same.

Why not edit it to say "Sorry everyone, I now realise that Ka Apaz is nothing more than a third rate con artist and I won't be posting any more of this Ama nonsense"?

The drivel filter needs replacing.

Your post was infinitely better than mine just above it.
Old 29th October 2012, 05:39 PM   #151
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by AdMan View Post
Your post was infinitely better than mine just above it.

Yours is probably more likely to win the 'most helpful' award though.

Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2012, 05:52 PM   #152
Marcus
Graduate Poster

I seek something that will last forever even when I have passed over – and this is with the only true God.
It's a very pleasant dream, no question about it. The promise of something that will last forever has lured people to religion for thousands of years.

On the other hand, it can be very satisfying to believe in what is actually true, rather than a pleasant fantasy, even if it does involve an end to your own existence.
Marcus is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2012, 06:06 PM   #153
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
It's a very pleasant dream, no question about it. The promise of something that will last forever has lured people to religion for thousands of years.

I can't think of a more horrific prospect than spending eternity with the kind of people who consider themselves to be candidates for entry into heaven.

Old 29th October 2012, 06:31 PM   #154
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing

Personally, I find the Christian heaven to be Hell in Paradise, plunking that harp and singing praises to their sadist superbeing.
The Islamic version with the 9 levels of heaven, and all those immortal youths pouring wine endlessly while one cavorts with the 72 self-renewing virgins to be much more attractive... praying of course there isn't a mistranslation of "virgin", and the word was "Virginian". Spending eternity with George Washington, Jefferson, Hamilton et al would be "interesting" but not fun!
I Ratant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2012, 06:32 PM   #155
jsfisher
ETcorngods survivor

As someone located in its path, now comparing predictions to fact, I'd have to say, no, not all that violent. Hurricane Sandy as a violent storm is unimpressive, at least in how I'd categorize storms as violent. Heck, Sandy is just barely a hurricane. What is impressive, however, is its overall size.

The Frankenstorm monicker, by the way, had to do with the expectation of how Sandy would behave in combination with a cold front (now a stationary front) Sandy would encounter 100 miles inland.

Be that as it may, though, and whether you want to classify this as a notably violent storm, you are still willfully evading the point that a prophecy for "violent weather" is trivial and meaningless. There will be violent weather. That's a known fact. If you are impressed by the prophecies of known facts, well, you are not thinking this through.

By the way, the Nominate button is to your right left, sort of..

Last edited by jsfisher; 29th October 2012 at 06:34 PM.
jsfisher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2012, 06:54 PM   #156
Marcus
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Akhenaten View Post
I can't think of a more horrific prospect than spending eternity with the kind of people who consider themselves to be candidates for entry into heaven.
It does sound a bit boring doesn't it? Perhaps there is a livelier party downstairs.
Marcus is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2012, 07:10 PM   #157
Craig B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
It does sound a bit boring doesn't it? Perhaps there is a livelier party downstairs.
As Mark Twain quipped: go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2012, 08:02 PM   #158
Craig4
Philosopher

There will always be violent weather. It's not a very impressive prophesy. Ya' got nothing here.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2012, 09:28 PM   #159
SezMe
post-pre-born

Man, I have a killer comment ready to go but I know if I post it the mods will toss me into the witch's brew that Akhenaten is stirring up in about 3 nanoseconds. Sometimes the MA can be a bitch.
Old 29th October 2012, 10:15 PM   #160
fromdownunder
Illuminator

Has anyone else noticed that PC's is getting very proficient at doing the Gish Gallop?

Norm
fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

JREF Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy