JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

View Poll Results: Do you have an Emergency Kit Prepared?
Yes - I have a comprehensive kit with over 3 days supply 20 17.09%
Yes - I have a basic kit with 3 days of supplies 15 12.82%
No - But I can put one together from what I have about the house 41 35.04%
No - I haven't even thought about doing one 28 23.93%
On Planet X the only emergency is when it stops raining doughnuts! 13 11.11%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Old 1st November 2012, 10:34 PM   #1
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

In Case of Emergency....

With the recent super storm in the US I am noticing that a lot of people are struggling to survive just a few days after the storm passed through, and it makes me wonder, do people not have emergency kits prepared in case this sort of thing occurs?

Here we are told that we might have to fend for ourselves for between 3 and 5 days after an emergency has occured. As such it is recommened that every home and business has a form of kit to help people survive if such an emergency occurs.

I have a kit for my finacee and I with the following items in it:

Canned Food:

Soup
Whole Corn
Creamed Corn
Beetroot
Peas
Beans
Baby Carrots
Baked Beans
Pears
Apricots
Peaches
Tuna
Corned Beef
Salmon
Pineapple
Creamed Rice
Meat and Pasta Meals

Dried Food:

Beef Noodles
Chicken Noodles
Peas
Instant Potato
Milk Powder
Sugar
Milo
Coffee
Honey
Cordial Packets
Cheerios
Cat Food
Sucaryl

Cooking Gear:

Plastic Plates and Glasses
Plastic Cutlery
Can Opener
Pocket Knife
Billy/Pot
Camper Cooker and Butane Canisters
Camp Kettle
Fire Wood

Toiletries and Sanitation:

Soap
Rubbish Bags
Toothpaste and Brushes
Face Masks
First Aid Kit
Disinfectant
Box of Tissues
Rubber Kitchen Gloves
Disposable Gloves
Leather Work Gloves
Hand Sanitizer
Toilet Paper
Tampons
Wet Wipes
Dust Masks

Medication:

Razene
ibuprofene

Light and Warmth:

Fire Lighters
Safety Matches
Gas BBQ lighter
Emergency Blankets
Emergency Ponchos
Flashlight & Batteries
Candles
Glow Sticks

Other Items:

Ballpoint Pens
Marker Pens
Wind-Up Radio
Rope
Whistle
Duct Tape

ETA: I also have enough water for five days stored in bottles and Jerry Cans.

These items are all boxed up and ready to go if we have to evacuate, and if added to what he have in fresh food, or the food in the freezer it'll keep us going for about a week.

Do others have similar kits prepared, or do you just hope that if something happens it'll work out?

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.

Last edited by PhantomWolf; 1st November 2012 at 10:40 PM.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2012, 10:40 PM   #2
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Just checked my emergency kit.
It has Phantom Wolf's address in it (and a gun).
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2012, 10:42 PM   #3
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

No. The only possibly threat where I live is a bushfire. If there's a code red alert, we either leave, or stay and try to protect the house. Either way, it will all be over quite rapidly.

Sir Winston Churchill

Last edited by lionking; 1st November 2012 at 10:46 PM.
lionking is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2012, 10:45 PM   #4
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

I'm lucky when it comes to things like this, I guess, being in the Home Guard, Norway's militia. I have all my combat gear here at home, which includes quite a few basic survival items. Including my rifle.

If the zombie apocalypse ever happens, I'm ready.
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2012, 11:02 PM   #5
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ryokan View Post
If the zombie apocalypse ever happens, I'm ready.
Pfft, everyone knows that in a good zombie apocalypse, the military are the ones that get infected right after hospital staff and the police.

I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2012, 11:12 PM   #6
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
No. The only possibly threat where I live is a bushfire. If there's a code red alert, we either leave, or stay and try to protect the house. Either way, it will all be over quite rapidly.
What he said.

We've got much bigger problems than survival gear if my place gets flooded, because it means the local creek is at least a kilometre wider and 25 metres higher than it should be.
Old 2nd November 2012, 01:23 AM   #7
Alt+F4
diabolical globalist

I've had "emergency war water" since 9/11, but since I've been subjected to an earthquake, tornado, blizzard and hurricane (now two) in the the past two years I've ramped it up to having Phantom listed (except he left out the booze).

What people in NY and NY seemed to forget to buy in advance of Sandy was gasoline. Now we are experience 3 hour long waits, if you can even find gas. I've not seen an open gas station anywhere me at all yesterday.
Old 2nd November 2012, 01:42 AM   #8
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

How about one of these?

With the climate changing, how would you deal if you had one of these arrive and hang around for several days, wiping out power and preventing your using your car or moving about outside?

My Apollo Page.
Old 2nd November 2012, 02:07 AM   #9
SezMe
post-pre-born

PhantomWolf, in your "Other Items" list you forgot draft stoppers.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2012, 02:18 AM   #10
Jim_MDP
Illuminator

<--------- That is my kit.

And it has beer and booze!
And food, water and supplies.
And a toilet, shower, galley, fridge/freezer, bed, genny, fuel, entertainment, radio, etc.

I can go a loooooooong time without even getting out. Boat owners will understand.

Are there any other RVers on the board?
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2012, 02:37 AM   #11
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
How about one of these?

With the climate changing, how would you deal if you had one of these arrive and hang around for several days, wiping out power and preventing your using your car or moving about outside?
Survived the dust storms without any problem at all. Even if they hung around for days (which is doubtful) they aren't life-endangering. The big Melbourne dust storm did nothing but cause some traffic problems, and I remember it well. Of course it presaged the fatal Ash Wednesday bushfires.

So no, I don't think I need to prepare for armageddon.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2012, 02:43 AM   #12
richardm
Philosopher

Every now and then I read apocalyptic threads and think about putting one together, but to be honest it's really hard to imagine a disaster that would both affect me in my house, and affect the rest of the country to the extent that I couldn't get help reasonably quickly. If both of those situations did crop up then probably a rucksack full of corned beef wouldn't help me much.

No doubt this is touchingly naive and one day I'll be found starved to death in a boarded-up bothy after a tsunami flattens the Highlands.
Rimmer: Look at her! Magnificent woman! Very prim, very proper, almost austere. Some people took her for cold, thought she was aloof. Not a bit of it. She just despised fools. Quite tragic, really, because otherwise I think we'd have got on famously.
richardm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2012, 04:32 AM   #13
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Here the biggest threat is ice storms, followed by severe weather winds. So mostly no power. We can use the stove and candles. Have to have dry food on hand as the refrigerator is not going to be used. Bought a small generator this year.
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2012, 05:24 AM   #14
Alt+F4
diabolical globalist

The only possibly threat where I live is a bushfire.
Not true. You could be eaten by a dingo, you could be kicked in the head by a kangaroo or a shrimp could fall off your barbie.
Old 2nd November 2012, 05:30 AM   #15
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

How about one of these?

I'm confident I'd still be able to drag the barbecue and gas bottle the 3 metres inside the house in that case, that'll do for a couple of days, plus the house will smell like steak.
Old 2nd November 2012, 05:31 AM   #16
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Originally Posted by Alt+F4 View Post
Not true. You could be eaten by a dingo, you could be kicked in the head by a kangaroo or a shrimp could fall off your barbie.
Not many Dingo's in these parts, though the Kangaroo or a snake bite is a possibility.
Old 2nd November 2012, 05:41 AM   #17
Psi Baba
Homo Skepticalis

So are you all saying that I should update my Y2K disaster kit?

Originally Posted by Alt+F4 View Post
What people in NY and NY seemed to forget to buy in advance of Sandy was gasoline. Now we are experience 3 hour long waits, if you can even find gas. I've not seen an open gas station anywhere me at all yesterday.
Geez, I bought gas and batteries in advance of Sandy and I'm in Pittsburgh! Did no one learn anything from Katrina, or was Irene too much of a false alarm causing people to not take Sandy seriously?
Old 2nd November 2012, 06:20 AM   #18
sarge
Illuminator

I live in a temperate area, climate wise. It can get uncomfortably hot, but almost never gets dangerously cold, assuming one still has clothes.

I keep 5 cases of MREs in the garage, and we always have a few cases of bottled water on hand. I still own my personal set of TA50 (Army issued combat and survival gear/clothing). It is essentialy impossible that I would ever need more in the way of supplies than this.

Besides, both my significant other and myself are on inclement weather emergency essential lists at work. Whatever happens, they'll send a HMMWV to pick us up, transport us to the Guest House for long enough to drop off our kit, then carry us to work, where we'll be for the duration.
Old 2nd November 2012, 06:41 AM   #19
Seismosaurus
Illuminator

No survival kit, never really thought about having one. The worst thing that can happen where I live is a bit of flooding, and I live well above the level of the local river. To inconvenience me seriously a disaster would have to be either so small that help would be freely available (my house burning down, say), or so big and widespread that having a survival kit wouldn't make a lick of difference.
Old 2nd November 2012, 08:20 AM   #20
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Living in the Cascadia fault zone, and having my house almost (or actually?) on top of the Seattle fault, I have a good supply with tent, water, fire wood and fire starter, all the camping stuff I own anyway, and a fair amount of food. The food supply however could use refreshing.

The fire department here actually has a neighborhood readiness program with the concept there will be no help for three days. At one time we had the neighborhood set up. People have assigned jobs, turn off gas, search and rescue, babysit kids, babysit pets if the parents/owners are unable to get home, and first aid providers. Some people on the list have moved but I believe the core of us are still here and could resurrect the plan with not much effort.

I have an earthquake valve on my gas line, if you shake it, it shuts the gas off until reset. But I also have a large wrench kept in a shed outside to use to turn other people's gas lines off.

I sold the generator a couple years ago and haven't replaced it, but I have both lights and a radio that work with an internal wind up generator power supply.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 2nd November 2012 at 08:24 AM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2012, 08:33 AM   #21
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing

I have emergency contact numbers in my cell-phone, all starting with A so they'll come up first if anyone looks.
And some earthquake water in OJ bottles.
I Ratant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2012, 09:28 AM   #22
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

Although I don't really have a kit specificity, I can survive for easily more than a week with what I always have available.

I have a whole house electric generator (diesel) with atleast a weeks available supply of fuel. I have two other gasoline generators (I use them for work) so electricity is not really an issue.

I have well water (see back-up electric redundancy)

I don't like grocery shopping all that much so I shop bulk and my pantry and freezer never gets all that low. In fact, a week or two of not shopping would help.

I have several full OSHA approved first-aid kits.

We lost power for 3 days last year at this time (ice storm). The only thing I didn't have was the internet. The only draw back, my kid and all his friends take refuge here because I still have TV and the games all work.

( beer supply is safe, my neighbor owns the store and I have the means to get us there )

"Remember that the goal of conspiracy rhetoric is to bog down the discussion, not to make progress toward a solution" Jay Windley
DGM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2012, 10:00 AM   #23
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

I never thought of it as an emergency kit, but yeah, we can survive for at least 3 days with what we've got in the pantry -- lot longer, if there's electricity to keep the freezer cold. I don't know how much fuel we have for the camping stove though, so water might become an issue if we had to boil our drinking water constantly.

Last edited by timhau; 2nd November 2012 at 10:04 AM.
timhau is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2012, 10:29 AM   #24
Loss Leader
Opinionated Jerk

I had a kit. The water, food, fuel and batteries are used up. There was no option for "I have exhausted my emergency kit and I may not live through the week or, if I do, I'll be exceptionally dirty."

Follow me on Twitter! @LossLeader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2012, 11:00 AM   #25
R.Mackey
Philosopher

We have earthquakes here.

I have enough gear in my house to hold out for weeks. I have enough in my office for three days of action, or to hold out for a week awaiting rescue; I have enough supplies in my truck plus tools to effect that rescue, and add another three days. I can walk home in less than four hours by any of a dozen routes.

In 24 hours I can reach the sea, on foot. Double that if every single bridge and motorway is totally destroyed. My wife and I have done week long backpacks in rugged terrain drawn only from our existing stocks.

By this time next year I'll have my garden rigged to run off of captured rainwater, if needed, for an entire season. And I'll finally get my first aid recerts...

And yet, for all of this, the single most important emergency preparation is to know my neighbors. Response is far more effective if you pool your resources. Don't be caught guessing about who lives where, who has medical issues, who knows how to run comms and fix engines, and who just happens to have a 10 kW generator for whatever reason. Invite 'em over and start working on it today.

VT VENIANT OMNES
R.Mackey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2012, 11:05 AM   #26
R.Mackey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by I Ratant View Post
I have emergency contact numbers in my cell-phone, all starting with A so they'll come up first if anyone looks.
And some earthquake water in OJ bottles.
Good one. Standard terminology, however, is to preface emergency contacts with "ICE" ("In Case of Emergency"). That's what EMTs will look for first, at least in my state.

VT VENIANT OMNES
R.Mackey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2012, 11:30 AM   #27
GlennB
Cereal pedant

We are seriously well stocked-up, but then we live in the outbacks of Greece and wake daily half expecting to hear we've switched back to the Drachma and there will be no electricity or petrol for a few months

In a moment of deep economic paranoia I even bought a 'fire steel' (sparky-makey thingy) on Ebay.

Who here can tell us how much domestic bleach to add to a litre or gallon of (reasonably clear and trustworthy) water to make it safe for drinking?

eta: and you wouldn't believe how much marmalade and aubergine pickle we have stashed. But that's just MrsB being her usual nutty self.

Last edited by GlennB; 2nd November 2012 at 11:31 AM.
GlennB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2012, 11:42 AM   #28
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by R.Mackey View Post
Good one. Standard terminology, however, is to preface emergency contacts with "ICE" ("In Case of Emergency"). That's what EMTs will look for first, at least in my state.
I have both versions in the phones. "A-ICE" and "ICE".
I'm a belt and suspenders kinda engineer.
I Ratant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2012, 11:45 AM   #29
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

I'll confess...Despite being a 40+ year law enforcement veteran, and one who lives in "tornado alley" and a potential earthquake zone to boot... I don't have a damned thing.

In fact, we were even evacuated during the big flood of '93 when the huge propane storage tanks on the Mississippi broke loose.

Several problems. One... Money. For years, we were living from paycheck to paycheck. Investing in a potential emergency kit (and one that has to be maintained) just never seemed worth it.
Two... Lack of space. Our house is old, and small. We are dreadful housekeepers. Where to put all the stuff?
Three... Lots of the recommended materials need to be replaced/updated on a regular basis.
We are terrible at such things. Keeping some sort of schedule to replace supplies is perhaps a fantasy in our household.
Finally, we live in an urban environment with lots of resources readily at hand. Police, fire, medical... Anything that would wipe out all hope of assistance would likely not be survivable....
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2012, 11:50 AM   #30
Loss Leader
Opinionated Jerk

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
Who here can tell us how much domestic bleach to add to a litre or gallon of (reasonably clear and trustworthy) water to make it safe for drinking?

You only need about a cap-full per gallon, half a tablespoon. It's very strong stuff.

Follow me on Twitter! @LossLeader

Last edited by Loss Leader; 2nd November 2012 at 11:53 AM.
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2012, 11:51 AM   #31
mikeyx
Banned

With the recent super storm in the US I am noticing that a lot of people are struggling to survive just a few days after the storm passed through, and it makes me wonder, do people not have emergency kits prepared in case this sort of thing occurs?

Here we are told that we might have to fend for ourselves for between 3 and 5 days after an emergency has occured. As such it is recommened that every home and business has a form of kit to help people survive if such an emergency occurs.

I have a kit for my finacee and I with the following items in it:

Canned Food:

Soup
Whole Corn
Creamed Corn
Beetroot
Peas
Beans
Baby Carrots
Baked Beans
Pears
Apricots
Peaches
Tuna
Corned Beef
Salmon
Pineapple
Creamed Rice
Meat and Pasta Meals

Dried Food:

Beef Noodles
Chicken Noodles
Peas
Instant Potato
Milk Powder
Sugar
Milo
Coffee
Honey
Cordial Packets
Cheerios
Cat Food
Sucaryl

Cooking Gear:

Plastic Plates and Glasses
Plastic Cutlery
Can Opener
Pocket Knife
Billy/Pot
Camper Cooker and Butane Canisters
Camp Kettle
Fire Wood

Toiletries and Sanitation:

Soap
Rubbish Bags
Toothpaste and Brushes
Face Masks
First Aid Kit
Disinfectant
Box of Tissues
Rubber Kitchen Gloves
Disposable Gloves
Leather Work Gloves
Hand Sanitizer
Toilet Paper
Tampons
Wet Wipes
Dust Masks

Medication:

Razene
ibuprofene

Light and Warmth:

Fire Lighters
Safety Matches
Gas BBQ lighter
Emergency Blankets
Emergency Ponchos
Flashlight & Batteries
Candles
Glow Sticks

Other Items:

Ballpoint Pens
Marker Pens
Wind-Up Radio
Rope
Whistle
Duct Tape

ETA: I also have enough water for five days stored in bottles and Jerry Cans.

These items are all boxed up and ready to go if we have to evacuate, and if added to what he have in fresh food, or the food in the freezer it'll keep us going for about a week.

Do others have similar kits prepared, or do you just hope that if something happens it'll work out?
with rationing I would be good for two maybe three weeks
mikeyx is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2012, 11:53 AM   #32
IMST
If Charlie Parker Was a Gunslinger, There'd Be a Whole Lot of Dead Copycats

I've got plenty of stuff lying around that house at any given time to do just fine including a heater purchased specifically for power outages. Earthquake zone here, with occasional strong wind storms that like to interrupt power. Freezing temperatures are rare.
Old 2nd November 2012, 12:06 PM   #33
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
You only need about a cap-full per gallon, half a tablespoon. It's very strong stuff.
And you can't just use drink mix to hide the bleach taste if you over do it. Experience.

To the OP, I grew up with hurricanes and we would have a few extra cans around during hurricane season but with all of our camping gear and a week's notice before any big storms, it is hard to get too worked up. You just secure your property and leave. Really, it was that simple.

The last big storm while we lived near the coast I ended up staying a couple of hours too long after sending the family off. The neighborhood was surrounded by water and we had no power for a few days, but all the neighbors brought their grills out front and we cooked everything that was just going to go bad anyway the first night. The next day people moved on to canned goods and the next day things started normalizing and the roads were passable if I had wanted to leave. Instead, I spent most of my time riding my bike around having warm beer with everyone we knew who got stuck on the "island". We spent some time looking at the cars floating where the interstate had been.

Had the whole family been there it would have been more stressful, but they were gone, so it was pretty easy.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2012, 12:12 PM   #34
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

I have about 6 months of, umm, non-perishable foodstuffs, umm, stored.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2012, 12:30 PM   #35
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

I don't need that much of anything for three days. If we lost power I'd have more than enough to eat, though I suppose the most likely problem is snow and if it's that cold I can just move the frozen food outside!

My main problem would be heat, if we lost power, because the central heating doesn't work without electricity no matter how much oil is in the tank, and although I have a self-contained gas fire that needs no external power, it's in a big room it would have trouble heating. I try to make sure I always have enough gas for it to keep going for three or four days though.

Generator? Some way to power the oil pump without mains electricity? Maybe, but we are only talking a few days, and I have neighbours who have a solid fuel fire with a big heat output. They'd help me eat the frozen food, I'm sure.

Actually, it happened in 2009-10. We were cut off for several days due to snow, and I had a 92-year-old to look after. We were fine, because the electricity didn't go off. And the village shop had stuff on its shelves, though you might not find just what you wanted.

The electricity is the problem, because trouble comes in very cold weather. But we are a community of about 1,500 people. We look after each other.

Rolfe.
Old 2nd November 2012, 12:42 PM   #36
The_Fire
Unimpressed Female

Got more than 3 days supplies for most things. What can I say: The idea of a long period of power loss due to solar storms or heavy storms (Storms are the biggest, and a very real, threat in my neighborhood, my parents are low enough to also have some flooding potential from nearby streams etc.) got me thinking and I decided to be a tad smart while attempting not to go prepper. Got my parents to sign up on it as well. And things kind of developed into a competition after that.......

Anyways: Here's my current list
The stuff marked with a * star is actually stuff I already owned due to either my tech fetish or other things. double * are things I am still missing to make it complete:

Essentials:

1 month worth of canned foods or otherwise preserved foods
1 week (currently but working on getting that up to a month as well) worth of bottled water.
1 month worth of meds (Metformin is a must due to my T2, as is Ibuprofen since I hate being in pain and those things are the most effective painkillers I've had the pleasure of en-counting up till now (trust me; One of my fillings cracked last week. Had to wait two day for a dentists appointment, I learned my painkillers FAST!) and, hopefully to be gone soon, my two kinds of bloodpressure meds)
500 x 8 hours burn worth of tealight candles *
1 complete first aid kit *

Gear:

1 battery FM radio, to be exchanged for a DAB compatible one (Yes, I have a significant amount of batteries to it as well)*
1 crankdriven torch*
1 solarpowered torch
1 Storm Kitchen (AKA Trangia camping kitchen with the multi-fuel burner, still trying to decide on steel vs aluminium, cant remember which one is best from my guide/girl scout days, so input appreciated) The multifuel burner can burn woodchips as well as two or three other types of fuel. This means that I can actually just pick up some dried branches, chop them up finely and presto: Fuel.
1 Magnesium match **
Disposable cutlery,plates, glasses. Saves water.
Parachute cord ** (I got some lame ass stuff that can work in a pinch right now, but I plan on getting the good stuff)
Toiletpaper etc. for a month
1 bigass, supersharp hunting knife*
1 set of fishinggear (and, conveniently, a fairly clean lake with fishies in it within walking distance. No, I didn't plan on THAT when I moved in back in 08)*
1 professional compass and road maps covering from my place to my parents if I need to get my ass out there and ordinary means of transport is out)*
1 large hikers rucksack with sleeping back (arctic military issue)*
1 solarcell charged battery pack for my cell, can be hooked up to other, low power things like my pad for internet access (looking into getting one more, hopefully one that's more efficient- The thingofmabob is also a green way to power your cell) *
1 compact completely kitted compound bow (browning in a nice camo paint) (currently stringed at 80lbs) with 30 arrows*
15 birdheads for arrows**
15 deerheads for arrows**
1 lightweight tarp for building shelter while on the way or covering busted windows*
Duct tape*
A pair of good hiking boots, worn in to avoid blisters** (again; A bit iffy on my rusty knowledge, but I was figuring looking into military surplus)

I recently started practicing with my bow again (Its a Zen thing, not strictly a survival thing) and while not an Olympic shot and still having some way to go to get near the requirements for a bow hunting license, I am a good enough shot to keep zombies at bay from my first floor windows or doing a spot of poaching if need be.

In the food department, you might want to think about having a stash of ingredients for bread. Dried Yeast is a good invention. Doesn't take up much space, doesn't need cooling and only need to be replace every 3 months or so.

My parents opted to use their grill as an emergency kitchen since they got a garden and my dads hunting rifles instead of the bow.

On their list, which is more or less identical to mine, hiking paraphernalia like sleeping bag and rucksack aside, however, they still need a solarcell charger for the cellphone and a batterydriven radio. They are looking to me to find a good offer for them on those two items.

We also set down a couple of "Dont panic if you dont hear from me if something like this happens" procedures.

1: If the powerout lasts longer than a week and affects communications, I will attempt to use either the Red Cross, the Civil Defense (which would most likely be involved in such a scenario) or the Police to get a message through (theres a rather large distance between the 'rents and me) and they will attempt, if I am successful, to send a response back through the same channels. Just the basics: I'm ok, are you ok, is Dads insulin still good, that sort of things.
By waiting a week, the most immediate herd-panic should be over and thus the service utilized should be less stressed out. It would also give them a chance to actually get some sort of communications grid going.

2: If we are looking at more than 3 weeks potential powerout, I will, at the end of the the 3 weeks, attempt to make my way to their place after securing my apartment. If necessary by foot. Should only take me 4-5 days hoofing it. And that's me going leisurely. Hence the maps and compass.

And I will, off cause, be heavily armed (Dads requirement for such an operation). The logic is that my parents live in the farmlands and have easier access to fresh meat etc. than a cityslicker like me. There's also a clean well less than 500 meters from their front door.

3: If the powerout happens in the winter and its frosty outside, both parties are to STAY where they are unless ordinary transport is available and I am not to attempt getting home if transport is not available untill it either becomes available or the thaw comes, whatever comes first.

Otherwise we are adopting the HHGtG approach "DON'T PANIC!".

They know that I have enough survival skills, thanks to my Scout days, to do some basic survival and I know that they can do ditto thanks to my Dads previous work in Greenland getting him interested in wilderness survival.

One thing though: My dads insulin, the unused ones, needs to be cooled. Does anyone know if there exists a solarpowered cooling unit of some sort (I'm thinking cooling box ala those you hook up in your car)? It doesn't have to be terrible efficient or big, just efficient enough to keep a constant temp at 5c and not to shabbily insulated. Dad was speaking about looking into hooking something up to a carbattery, but I like something already done better. Less chances of something going wrong.
"We? That better be you and that invisible aardwarck in your pocket you are talking about, because I KNOW you are not stupid enough to open a giant can of whoop ass by claiming you know what I think."
Stop Sylvia Browne
The_Fire is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2012, 12:48 PM   #37
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Costco had three day survival kits in a tote. We bought two.
Old 2nd November 2012, 02:12 PM   #38
esquel
Collector of Meteorites

I think I've gone over this before. We have a bugout kit and a backpack full of spare clothing that we can sling in a car and be gone within 5-10 minutes; we also have several 3 gallon bottles of water prepped at all times. Our home network backs up frequently to a standalone 2 terabyte drive we can pull out and take with us. This is if we need to be self sufficient and away from our house for 4 or 5 days. If we have an hour warning, I will empty the pantry and stuff clothes into duffels, which will give us at least another 2 weeks. I am in an area that has seen earthquakes, tsunami warnings, and storm and hurricane alerts within the last decade. It makes all types of sense for us to be able to hold the fort, either at home or away, for at least a week without outside assistance.

I just thought of another thing I should put in the bugout kit: hand sanitizer. You may not want to use your precious drinking water to wash up.
Old 2nd November 2012, 03:50 PM   #39
Alt+F4
diabolical globalist

Originally Posted by Psi Baba View Post
So are you all saying that I should update my Y2K disaster kit?
No, just re-name it your "Mayan Calendar End of the World Thingy" disaster kit.

Quote:
Geez, I bought gas and batteries in advance of Sandy and I'm in Pittsburgh! Did no one learn anything from Katrina, or was Irene too much of a false alarm causing people to not take Sandy seriously?
I don't get it either. I filled up to the brim on Sunday (and I don't even drive that much) but I could not believe the line I saw today, at least 1/4 mile at the one gas station that actually had gas.
Old 2nd November 2012, 04:02 PM   #40
Sledge
Grammaton Cleric

I've normally got a lighter, torch and Leatherman Pocket Survival Tool on me. Can't imagine a crisis hitting the local area that should need more than that.

"Science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it would stop" ~ Dara O'Briain.
Sledge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

JREF Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events