JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Old 15th November 2012, 06:32 AM   #241
Nessie
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Renaiconna View Post
So, you have to volunteer the information? And if you didn't volunteer it and your referees weren't aware, you could still get a gun? I'm confused as to how that makes any sense, unless they require you to receive a psychiatric evaluation in order to obtain a gun license.

As long as the person is licensed to carry in that jurisdiction and isn't brandishing or threatening anyone, probably not.

Most of those with a mental illness aren't constantly in crisis-mode or flipping out or whathaveyou. If they abide by the law, we shouldn't curtail their rights. And, frankly, the government has ZERO business in one's medical history unless one volunteers the information oneself.

Do they not have HIPAA-type legislation in the UK?
If you did not volunteer information and your referees kept quiet or did not know, yes you would get a gun. There is a compromise whereby the police are not invading privacy unless they have reason to do so.

I would expect someone with paranoid schizophrenia to have their gun taken off them there and then. Clinical depression is another and I know of one where a threat to commit suicide, but not with the gun, was enough to take the gun off the person. We react there and then rather than wait and see.

We have Data Protection laws regarding storage and security of information.
Old 15th November 2012, 06:37 AM   #242
BStrong
Philosopher

Just ran across this, slightly out of date as MacDonald has been decided, but interesting none the less

http://digitalcommons.law.scu.edu/cg...text=lawreview
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2012, 06:39 AM   #243
Nessie
Philosopher

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
California has penalty enhancement for firearms possession or use in the commission of a crime across the board, and it doesn't seem to interfer in gang violence in the least

http://oag.ca.gov/firearms

California Bureau of firearms, a division of the DOJ.

Read and be amazed.
Do the police actively go out to search for guns? I see this "Any person who is enjoined from engaging in activity associated with a criminal street gang is prohibited from possessing ammunition. A violation is a misdemeanor." How much of a sentence would that attract?
Old 15th November 2012, 07:55 AM   #244
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

IIRC, any of them, as long as that person is properly licensed for their gun and jurisdiction and as long as that person has not committed any felonies.

Just because someone has a mental illness, even a "scary" one, does not preclude that person from enjoying the same rights and liberties as every other American citizen.
I'm pretty sure it does. In Illinois anyone who has been treated for mental illness in the last 5 years is ineligible to own a firearm.
WildCat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2012, 08:53 AM   #245
Renaiconna
Scholar

Originally Posted by WildCat View Post
I'm pretty sure it does. In Illinois anyone who has been treated for mental illness in the last 5 years is ineligible to own a firearm.
Oh? So the background checks cover medical information in Illinois? I find that pretty hard to believe. Perhaps you mean that if a person has been ordered by the court/a judge to receive treatment? Because most of the mentally ill nowadays seek treatment voluntarily.

Originally Posted by Nessie
I would expect someone with paranoid schizophrenia to have their gun taken off them there and then. Clinical depression is another and I know of one where a threat to commit suicide, but not with the gun, was enough to take the gun off the person. We react there and then rather than wait and see.
Threats to oneself or others is a compelling enough reason for disarming a law-abiding citizen. But are you saying you would expect that simply because a person has been diagnosed with a particular illness they should not be able to enjoy the same rights as any other citizen? What if that person is effectively medicated and/or has no history of violence?
Renaiconna is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2012, 09:10 AM   #246
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Oh? So the background checks cover medical information in Illinois?
You are required to reveal such an illness when you apply for an FOID card.
WildCat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2012, 09:50 AM   #247
Nessie
Philosopher

Threats to oneself or others is a compelling enough reason for disarming a law-abiding citizen. But are you saying you would expect that simply because a person has been diagnosed with a particular illness they should not be able to enjoy the same rights as any other citizen? What if that person is effectively medicated and/or has no history of violence?
Then it could go either way depending on the local Chief Constable's thoughts on the matter. If the applicant is unhappy about a decision, it can then be appealed to a sheriff (our name for a judge).

I cannot find any examples of such decisions, so cannot comment on the likelihood of decisions.
Old 15th November 2012, 10:45 AM   #248
Renaiconna
Scholar

You are required to reveal such an illness when you apply for an FOID card.
Ah, I see. So, infringement on my Second Amendment rights AND invasion of my privacy just to get a gun in Illinois? I'm glad I turned down moving to Chicago...
Renaiconna is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2012, 10:48 AM   #249
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
The Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights as the SC cases Heller and MacDonald have defined it - an individual not otherwise prohibited has a right to possess a firearm in common use for self defense purposes.
Oh, I see.

The question was in response to a poster talking about UK firearms regulations.

We have no such confusingly worded constitutional right so I was wondering what he was on about.
Old 15th November 2012, 10:58 AM   #250
PetersCreek
Muse

Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
So it is a violent state with easy access to guns, that is a recipe for disaster.
Perhaps broad brushes should also be strictly licensed. The resulting pictures look so much like they were painted by a hyperactive 4-year-old hopped up on methamphetamine. If you're going to share recipes, perhaps you should stick to cookies...er...biscuits. :rolleyes
PetersCreek is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2012, 11:12 AM   #251
AlBell
Philosopher

Give it time and with a concerted effort to stop and search all gang members and it should start to make a difference. We have seen knife crime fall with increased targeted stop searches and mandatory sentences.
Without Probable Cause such searches (and items seized) tend to be thrown out of US courts; that darn Constitution and SCOTUS.
AlBell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2012, 11:39 AM   #252
Nessie
Philosopher

Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
Perhaps broad brushes should also be strictly licensed. The resulting pictures look so much like they were painted by a hyperactive 4-year-old hopped up on methamphetamine. If you're going to share recipes, perhaps you should stick to cookies...er...biscuits. :rolleyes
I know, but it is an internet discussion forum, so short posts to the point are easier on the eye
Old 15th November 2012, 11:41 AM   #253
Nessie
Philosopher

Originally Posted by AlBell View Post
Without Probable Cause such searches (and items seized) tend to be thrown out of US courts; that darn Constitution and SCOTUS.
Same here and probable cause can be 'they are a gang member' or the search was voluntary and consented to.
Old 15th November 2012, 12:04 PM   #254
Renaiconna
Scholar

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
Oh, I see.

The question was in response to a poster talking about UK firearms regulations.

We have no such confusingly worded constitutional right so I was wondering what he was on about.
UK vs. US regulations. The OP seemed to be mostly about US laws, so that's where I was coming from.

Also, "she".

Originally Posted by AlBell
With the exception of "stop and frisk" laws...
Old 15th November 2012, 02:49 PM   #255
AlBell
Philosopher

Same here and probable cause can be 'they are a gang member'
IANAL but I doubt that'll work in US courts. We have lawyers here who, with luck, will confirm or reject my assertion.

Quote:
or the search was voluntary and consented to.
That deserves the laughing dog smiley.
AlBell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2012, 03:23 PM   #256
Renaiconna
Scholar

Originally Posted by Nessie
Same here and probable cause can be 'they are a gang member'
IANAL but I doubt that'll work in US courts. We have lawyers here who, with luck, will confirm or reject my assertion.
IANAL either, but isn't arresting someone solely on the basis of the people with whom they associate unconstitutional (freedom of association, and all that)?
Old 15th November 2012, 05:28 PM   #257
Delvo
Illuminator

Same here and probable cause can be 'they are a gang member' or the search was voluntary and consented to.
That can only be accurate if you happen to be talking about some country other than the USA, which happens to use the phrase "probable cause" somewhere in its legal system but in a way completely different from and contradictory with its use in American law. Here, the cause for a search, seizure, or arrest has to be a sign of a particular crime in a particular place and/or a particular time, not membership in a group that's likely to be criminals in general. Acting otherwise would be a violation not only of the Fourth Amendment (where the phrase "probable cause" originates) but also the First (freedom to assemble with whom you choose), as well as a handful of more recent laws & rulings & policies on discrimination and civil liberties, and would end the offending police officer's or judge's career promptly, probably followed by a civil lawsuit which takes away most of the money (s)he has ever earned or ever will for the rest of his/her life.

IANAL either, but isn't arresting someone solely on the basis of the people with whom they associate unconstitutional (freedom of association, and all that)?
Yes, but also keep in mind the difference between a search and an arrest. A search of property can be done without the property's owner being arrested, and a search warrant and an arrest warrant are two separate documents. The Fourth Amendment explicitly includes both searches and arrests, though.

What police are allowed to do on the basis of knowing that someone is in a gang is talk to him/her without arresting him/her, including going wherever (s)he leads them. There's nothing to stop them from getting and using whatever information (s)he might disclose to them or any evidence (s)he might turn over, on a voluntary basis, without executing either an arrest warrant or a search warrant. This can include threatening the gang member with near-future arrest or search, even if they don't have a warrant for it yet.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2012, 09:00 PM   #258
BStrong
Philosopher

Do the police actively go out to search for guns? I see this "Any person who is enjoined from engaging in activity associated with a criminal street gang is prohibited from possessing ammunition. A violation is a misdemeanor." How much of a sentence would that attract?
Yes, the state DOJ runs multi agency enforcement actions aimed at individuals in the prohibited class ( Felons, 5150's, individuals subject to a TRO or RO) with firearms (handguns in 99.9% of cases) registered that were not transfered or otherwise legally disposed of.

Depending on jurisdiction and legal status (Parolee on probation or other) the consequences could be as little as confiscation of the firearm (non-violent 5150's) to being remanded to custody for a parolee, to being charged with felon in possession.

The sentences are a whole other story due to chronic overcrowding in the penal system.

Here's an old study (1986) on the subject, but still valid in part:

http://scholarship.law.duke.edu/cgi/...32&context=lcp

Personally, my belief is that until we propagate and enforce draconian penalty enhancements on criminal firearms use, such laws have no effect.

Unfortunately, attempts to enforce gun laws to the fullest extent of the law seems to work other places, but not California:

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/articl...ed-2640743.php

At least to folks that believe putting people in jail for violating the law is counterproductive.
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2012, 12:34 AM   #259
triforcharity
Banned

I don't get your points 2 and 3. The US is responsible for the state of its domestic gun market and exporting and smuggling of its guns abroad.
That is the US government and those responsible for dealing with guns, not every Tom, Dick and Harry in the US for those who think when I speak out about guns I am referring to and condemning the US as a whole.
Why would we be responsible if someone smuggles a gun into another country?

So, I wrecked my new truck yesterday. It's the manufacturers fault I was following too closely to the vehicle in front of me?

Same logic.

The US is not responsible if someone imports a gun LEGALLY, abiding by the laws of both nations. You're foolish to think otherwise.
triforcharity is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2012, 12:40 AM   #260
triforcharity
Banned

In the UK all that is needed is a Police National Computer (PNC) check. That lists everyone in the UK who has convictions, is a missing person, is a disqualified driver and/or who has a firearms certificate. It takes seconds to do.
The two systems are separate here in the US for a simple reason.

FOIA requests.

Freedom of Information Act requests can be made for anything in the DMV database, as as the keystrokes an officer makes on his laptop. Most have tracking software, etc.

The fact that I have a CWP is private information, and not covered under the FOIA laws of Florida.

It's a matter of privacy.
triforcharity is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2012, 12:48 AM   #261
triforcharity
Banned

Mental illnesses and addictions are two matters that would greatly impact on a persons ability to safely possess a gun.

Regarding chronic and acute illnesses, for example if someone was to have a bout of serious depression and the police were to find out they can and have had their guns seized from them. If they recover they can and have had their guns returned to them. If they don't they don't get their guns back. I know of guns being seized from someone who was found to be an alcoholic, having turned to drink after his wife died.
Sucks for people in the UK.

Here in the US, we have some very basic rights.

I think that is perfectly reasonable.
Maybe in your county, but here in the US, it's not. It's the whole "shall not be infringed" thing.

If someone was found to be mentally ill in the USA, would they be allowed to keep their guns?
Sometimes. Depends on the mental illness, and the status, etc. etc. etc.

In Florida, an MD has to recommend to the court that the patient is not fit for a firearm, and they have to go through a process. The courts decide, and not without a hearing.

Here's the wording from the actual form.

http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-4473-1.pdf

Section F

Last edited by triforcharity; 16th November 2012 at 12:52 AM.
Old 16th November 2012, 01:01 AM   #262
triforcharity
Banned

Give it time and with a concerted effort to stop and search all gang members and it should start to make a difference.
1- The gang bangers don't wear uniforms to allow for easy identification.
2- Not every person who's illegally carrying a firearm is a gang banger.
3- What reasonable suspicion does an officer have to just stop someone?
4- The USC prohibits unreasonable and unwarranted search and seizure.

We have seen knife crime fall with increased targeted stop searches and mandatory sentences.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/c...crime.19134633
Which couldn't happen in the US legally.

We have a right to not be randomly stopped and searched by the police. It's in our Constitution. Pretty high on the list too.

Since Chicago's gang and crime problems are on a pretty monumental scale, I would imagine there is a lot of work to be done compared to in Glasgow and its knife crime and gangs.
It's (IMO) because the police have been so lax and corrupt for so many years, that it's just not able to be controlled without some serious changes. IMO, the biggest one is the fact that they don't allow law abiding citizens to have a CWP. Hence, the bangers and scum know they're pretty safe to commit crime at their leisure.
Old 16th November 2012, 01:09 AM   #263
triforcharity
Banned

Originally Posted by stokes234 View Post
That entire post was horrific.
I'd agree, your post was ******* horrific. It's based on ignorance, and bias. Cannot get more horrific than that.
Old 16th November 2012, 01:24 AM   #264
triforcharity
Banned

If you did not volunteer information and your referees kept quiet or did not know, yes you would get a gun. There is a compromise whereby the police are not invading privacy unless they have reason to do so.

We have Data Protection laws regarding storage and security of information.
And we have laws that protect the individual from bull **** laws like this.

Specifically, the 2nd and 4th amendments, which allow me to have firearms, and not be searched for those firearms without cause, and which guarantees me the right to due process under the law.
Old 16th November 2012, 01:30 AM   #265
triforcharity
Banned

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
Before I comment, are you confused about the 2nd Amendment to the US Constitution?

What do you mean by that?
Old 16th November 2012, 01:32 AM   #266
triforcharity
Banned

IANAL, but this one is easy to answer, and the answer is you're correct.

At your request sir!
Old 16th November 2012, 06:20 AM   #267
Shaun from Scotland
Muse

Alaska's homicide by firearm rate is 2.68 per 100,000. That is slightly under the US average of 2.97 per 100,000. Canada's is 0.51 per 100,000, England & Wales it is 0.7 per 100,000.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datab...-homicides-map

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datab...map-statistics
Nessie when I read this I thought the rate for E&W was far too high and I was right. I think you have made a typo here. The rate is actually 0.07 per 100,1000

Statements Richard G cannot back up - "You may not own a rifle, or a pistol in the U.K.. Period. One shotgun per person is allowed, under heavy regulations. Most owners have turned those in also, because the regulations, and registration are too difficult and burdensome"
Shaun from Scotland is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2012, 07:21 AM   #268
Nessie
Philosopher

That sounds like we are more pro active and the police have better support from the courts for searching.

The police in Scotland need reasonable suspicion, which can be anything from behaviour to information from a credible source. They can search without reasonable cause if a serious incident has taken place, so people found nearby a stabbing for example. Then an Inspector or above can authorise blanket searches in a named area for up to 24 hours without cause to suspect the individual. That would be used where there has been gang violence.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/scotla...archandseizure

The police can ask to search anyone and most consent. I cannot find a link, but there was a court ruling a while back which said that the police do not need to tell people that they do not have to give consent for searches.
Old 16th November 2012, 07:35 AM   #269
Nessie
Philosopher

Originally Posted by triforcharity View Post
Why would we be responsible if someone smuggles a gun into another country?

So, I wrecked my new truck yesterday. It's the manufacturers fault I was following too closely to the vehicle in front of me?

Same logic.

The US is not responsible if someone imports a gun LEGALLY, abiding by the laws of both nations. You're foolish to think otherwise.
If Americans are involved in smuggling weapons out of America to countries where they are to be used for crime or terrorism, how is that not American's responsibility? Are you saying that the US authorities turn a blind eye or support smuggling arms out of the USA for use in Mexico's drug war or formerly for terrorism in Northern Ireland?

The two systems are separate here in the US for a simple reason.

FOIA requests.

Freedom of Information Act requests can be made for anything in the DMV database, as as the keystrokes an officer makes on his laptop. Most have tracking software, etc.

The fact that I have a CWP is private information, and not covered under the FOIA laws of Florida.

It's a matter of privacy.
We have FOI and a system for requests as well, which includes requesting the information contained on the PNC.

Sucks for people in the UK.

Here in the US, we have some very basic rights.

Maybe in your county, but here in the US, it's not. It's the whole "shall not be infringed" thing.

Sometimes. Depends on the mental illness, and the status, etc. etc. etc.

In Florida, an MD has to recommend to the court that the patient is not fit for a firearm, and they have to go through a process. The courts decide, and not without a hearing.

Here's the wording from the actual form.

http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-4473-1.pdf

We have the same rights and the kind of person who is likely to have their gun taken from them or refused to be allowed to have one is the same in the UK as the USA. You have to be dangerously mad, not just a little but depressed.

Section F
1- The gang bangers don't wear uniforms to allow for easy identification.
2- Not every person who's illegally carrying a firearm is a gang banger.
3- What reasonable suspicion does an officer have to just stop someone?
4- The USC prohibits unreasonable and unwarranted search and seizure.

Which couldn't happen in the US legally.

We have a right to not be randomly stopped and searched by the police. It's in our Constitution. Pretty high on the list too.

It's (IMO) because the police have been so lax and corrupt for so many years, that it's just not able to be controlled without some serious changes. IMO, the biggest one is the fact that they don't allow law abiding citizens to have a CWP. Hence, the bangers and scum know they're pretty safe to commit crime at their leisure.
Sounds like we have more leeway to search criminals than you have. I say that is a good thing.

And we have laws that protect the individual from bull **** laws like this.

Specifically, the 2nd and 4th amendments, which allow me to have firearms, and not be searched for those firearms without cause, and which guarantees me the right to due process under the law.
We have rights as well including the right to have guns and not be randomly searched except in exceptional circumstances.
Old 16th November 2012, 11:00 PM   #270
triforcharity
Banned

If Americans are involved in smuggling weapons out of America to countries where they are to be used for crime or terrorism, how is that not American's responsibility? Are you saying that the US authorities turn a blind eye or support smuggling arms out of the USA for use in Mexico's drug war or formerly for terrorism in Northern Ireland?
You're confusing two different issues.

Fast and Furious and NI.

FAF most certainly is going to end up with indictments.

As far as the whole NI thing you keep throwing around, do you have a linkey?
What I AM saying, and I've already made it VERY clear, is that if a gun is imported legally, abiding by the laws of both nations, what that gun is used for AFTER that has no bearing on either nation.

Using your logic, I should be free to sue Ford for the accident I had. I mean, they make the vehicle, right? They produced it, then legally sold it to me....

Sounds like we have more leeway to search criminals than you have. I say that is a good thing.
I disagree, to a point. I have a problem with a hunch being all the cause you need to search someone. I have no problem with busting criminals. What I DO have a problem with, is violating a persons 4th Amendment rights.

We have rights as well including the right to have guns and not be randomly searched except in exceptional circumstances.
Exceptional must mean something different to you. A few posts up you posted that LE in your country can search people in the area of a crime for 24hrs? Huh?????? That doesn't sound like exceptional to me.
Old 17th November 2012, 03:33 AM   #271
3point14
Pi

UK vs. US regulations. The OP seemed to be mostly about US laws, so that's where I was coming from.
Up to speed now.

Quote:
Also, "she".
Ooops, sorry.

[joey] How you doin'? [/joey]
Old 17th November 2012, 08:17 AM   #272
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Ah, I see. So, infringement on my Second Amendment rights AND invasion of my privacy just to get a gun in Illinois? I'm glad I turned down moving to Chicago...
There's no 2nd Amendment right to a gun if you are mentally ill. And it's not just Illinois that bars mental patients from owning firearms.
Old 17th November 2012, 08:19 AM   #273
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

It's not illegal to be a gang member in the USA.
Old 18th November 2012, 01:13 PM   #274
Nessie
Philosopher

You're confusing two different issues.

Fast and Furious and NI.

FAF most certainly is going to end up with indictments.

As far as the whole NI thing you keep throwing around, do you have a linkey?
What I AM saying, and I've already made it VERY clear, is that if a gun is imported legally, abiding by the laws of both nations, what that gun is used for AFTER that has no bearing on either nation.

Using your logic, I should be free to sue Ford for the accident I had. I mean, they make the vehicle, right? They produced it, then legally sold it to me....

I disagree, to a point. I have a problem with a hunch being all the cause you need to search someone. I have no problem with busting criminals. What I DO have a problem with, is violating a persons 4th Amendment rights.

Exceptional must mean something different to you. A few posts up you posted that LE in your country can search people in the area of a crime for 24hrs? Huh?????? That doesn't sound like exceptional to me.
Regarding Northern Ireland, from about 1969 to 1998 the was The Troubles, which is the rather innocuous name given to the civil war between largely Catholic Irish Republicans who wanted all Ireland to be united and those who were prepared to bomb and shoot to get their way, against the Nationalists who wanted to keep NI as part of the UK, mainly Protestants with the British army and police kind of caught in the middle. In that their job was to stop the fighting. But the army and police were employed by the British government so were seen by Republicans as also the enemy.

The Republicans with the likes of the IRA or PIRA or Real IRA, as the terrorist groups kept splitting, were smuggling in weapons and used sources from the USA, to Gaddafi, to FARC to any European gun dealer prepared to supply them.

I have only ever spoken out against gun smuggling to the likes of terrorists and drug barons and how countries of origin should stop it. I don't understand why you keep on going on about legitimate, lawful exporting. I have not spoken out against that, so quite why you think that is my logic is beyond me.

A hunch is based on experience where you see activity that makes you suspect someone has something on their possession they should not have. We have laws allowing searches for drugs, weapons and stolen property on a person without a warrant required. The police here also use intelligence gathering to trace those believed to be carrying weapons and then target them.
Old 18th November 2012, 01:15 PM   #275
Nessie
Philosopher

It's not illegal to be a gang member in the USA.
But being in a gang known to use and carry weapons gives a reasonable cause to search.
Old 18th November 2012, 02:04 PM   #276
triforcharity
Banned

But being in a gang known to use and carry weapons gives a reasonable cause to search.
Maybe in your county, but rarely in ours.
Old 18th November 2012, 02:13 PM   #277
Nessie
Philosopher

Maybe in your county, but rarely in ours.
That is possibly a significant reason why our gang problem and use of weapons in violence is far lower than yours.
Old 19th November 2012, 01:53 PM   #278
triforcharity
Banned

That could be true. However, our Bill of Rights isn't just going to be tossed aside so that we can arrest a few gang bangers.
Old 19th November 2012, 02:00 PM   #279
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

That could be true. However, our Bill of Rights isn't just going to be tossed aside so that we can arrest a few gang bangers.
Do you have to arrest them to search them and take their guns though? I thought the "fruit of the poison tree" deal stopped prosecution but the cops get to keep any contraband (in this case guns) found.

If the purpose is to get illegal guns off the streets, that might be enough.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2012, 02:23 PM   #280
AlBell
Philosopher

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
Do you have to arrest them to search them and take their guns though? I thought the "fruit of the poison tree" deal stopped prosecution but the cops get to keep any contraband (in this case guns) found.
I envision lawsuit(s) for return of illegally seized property and money damages for the civil rights violation(s).

Quote:
If the purpose is to get illegal guns off the streets, that might be enough.
I'd guess, no. ymmv.

IANAL.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Stay well back: I'm allergic to Stupid.

JREF Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events