JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Old 18th November 2012, 05:33 AM   #81
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by schplurg View Post
Christmas should be in the summer. Summer doesn't have any good long holidays. I'd rather have my X-mas vacation when it's warm outside (in Cali). Wasn't Jesus supposedly born more toward summer anyways?
Spring/passover
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2012, 11:52 AM   #82
casebro
Philosopher

I better not dress up as Santa. I could get sent to Gitmo as an "illegal combatant" in the War on Non-Christmas.

Some have called me cynical, but I don't believe them.

It's not how many breaths you take. It's how many times you have been breathless that counts.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2012, 08:11 PM   #83
Crocoshark
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by commandlinegamer View Post
Er, there are twelve days of Christmas: it ends on the 5th of January.

I'm all in favour of of everyone celebrating for just under two weeks, my only quibble being that winter hasn't really set in by the end of December. It perhaps ought to be a month/six-weeks later, when people are really miserable and need a good cheering-up.
I second that motion. I Christmas is to be extended, it should be extended FORWARD, not BACKWARD to bury Thanksgiving and rape Halloween.

That said, I like Christmas. I can understand the complaints; the over-importance on gift giving and commercialization, the extending to a third/quarter of the year, the forced, obligatory faux-joy. Christmas should be relegated to December only and there should be no social obligation to give gifts or be happy, etc. Other than that, It's my other favorite holiday next to Halloween.

Last edited by Crocoshark; 19th November 2012 at 08:14 PM.
Crocoshark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2012, 11:02 PM   #84
BitterChimp
Scholar

Love Christmas. Just finished all my shopping and I am going to kick major gift giving ass this year.
BitterChimp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 08:26 AM   #85
Draca
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Crocoshark View Post
I second that motion. I Christmas is to be extended, it should be extended FORWARD, not BACKWARD to bury Thanksgiving and rape Halloween.

The problem is Thanksgiving falls too LATE. It should be moved 1 to 2 weeks earlier.

I guess congress did manage at one time to move it earlier, until the next years doofuses reverted it back.

JREF Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events