JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Old 11th November 2012, 07:59 PM   #1
Charlie Wilkes
Illuminator

Question for Paula Broadwell

What's the best way to cook a bunny?
Charlie Wilkes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2012, 07:33 AM   #2
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic

Originally Posted by Charlie Wilkes View Post
What's the best way to cook a bunny?
A more poignant question, given her alleged journalistic ethics:

Swallow, spit, or over the shoulder?

As for the subject of her book:
You know better.
You knew better.
It may be an honorable move to resign, once found out, but it would be a hell of a lot more honorable not to put yourself in that position.

Nice job, General, crapping all over your wife of 37 years.
Looks like you have all of the honor of Al Gore, General.

Further remarks censored.
"Jesus wept, but did He laugh?"--F.H. Buckley____"There is one thing that was too great for God to show us when He walked upon our earth ... His mirth." --Chesterton__"If the barbarian in us is excised, so is our humanity."--D'rok__ "I only use my gun whenever kindness fails."-- Robert Earl Keen__"Sturgeon spares none.". -- The Marquis

Last edited by Darth Rotor; 12th November 2012 at 07:35 AM.
Darth Rotor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2012, 07:53 AM   #3
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

One thing's for sure: the bio will be worth reading now.
marplots is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2012, 08:02 AM   #4
wasapi
Master Poster

Sorry, I've barely scratched the surface of this story. Did the affair damage his job performance?

Yes, he's a creep and I feel sorry for his wife and family. Is his wife standing by him?
Old 12th November 2012, 08:08 AM   #5
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

They'll both bounce back and make millions.

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2012, 08:59 AM   #6
superfreddy
Muse

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
Sorry, I've barely scratched the surface of this story. Did the affair damage his job performance?

Yes, he's a creep and I feel sorry for his wife and family. Is his wife standing by him?
Yes, I believe the affair damaged his job performance by making him vulnerable to blackmail.
superfreddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2012, 09:04 AM   #7
Brown
Penultimate Amazing

As every single budding bad comic has pointed out, she's given new meaning to "being embedded" with the General.

My queston for Ms. Broadwell: How deep does the weirdness of this whole story go?

"Don't you get me wrong. I only want to know." -- Judas in Jesus Christ Superstar, lyrics by Tim Rice
Brown is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2012, 09:05 AM   #8
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

The title of her previous book? (And I kid you not): "All In."
marplots is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2012, 09:11 AM   #9
Alt+F4
diabolical globalist

Originally Posted by Brown View Post
My queston for Ms. Broadwell: How deep does the weirdness of this whole story go?
When hasn't a political sex scandal gotten weird? Anthony Weiner anyone? I miss Herman Cain! Oh noes, lets not forget about: Chris Lee, Eric Massa, Clarence Thomas, Larry Craig, Mark Foley & Barney Frank.

....and these are the ones I could only remember off the top of my head.
Old 12th November 2012, 09:12 AM   #10
Alt+F4
diabolical globalist

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
The title of her previous book? (And I kid you not): "All In."
Remember the title of Jerry Sandusky's vanity press autobiography? "Touched"
Old 12th November 2012, 09:36 AM   #11
The Shrike
Master Poster

Originally Posted by superfreddy View Post
Yes, I believe the affair damaged his job performance by making him vulnerable to blackmail.
This.

When the story first broke I was inclined to see it as a private matter and no one's business other than the people involved. On digging a bit deeper, I came to understand the gravity of the situation from a national security perspective. Whether or not national security leaks actually occurred, the General was compromised. That can't happen.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2012, 10:17 AM   #12
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing

Blackmail could only work secretly.
"I will expose you unless you......".
With the dirty laundry hanging out there for everyone's amusement, blackmail couldn't work.
I Ratant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2012, 11:15 AM   #13
superfreddy
Muse

Originally Posted by I Ratant View Post
Blackmail could only work secretly.
"I will expose you unless you......".
With the dirty laundry hanging out there for everyone's amusement, blackmail couldn't work.
That's assuming we already know everything. I suspect there are more details coming (no pun intended)
superfreddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2012, 11:28 AM   #14
Charlie Wilkes
Illuminator

Originally Posted by superfreddy View Post
That's assuming we already know everything. I suspect there are more details coming (no pun intended)
"This is about something else entirely, and the truth will come out," Paul Krantz, the father of Petraeus's mistress Paula Broadwell told the Daily News from his home in Bismarck, North Dakota. "There is a lot more that is going to come out … you wait and see. There's a lot more here than meets the eye."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012...tion-broadwell
Charlie Wilkes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2012, 11:48 AM   #15
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

"This is about something else entirely, and the truth will come out," Paul Krantz, the father of Petraeus's mistress Paula Broadwell told the Daily News from his home in Bismarck, North Dakota. "There is a lot more that is going to come out … you wait and see. There's a lot more here than meets the eye."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012...tion-broadwell
That's just their way of saying, "Sex tape!"
Old 12th November 2012, 12:48 PM   #16
Charlie Wilkes
Illuminator

That's just their way of saying, "Sex tape!"
I'm not so sure.

During a talk last month at the University of Denver, author Paula Broadwell said the CIA had detained people at a secret facility in Benghazi, and the attack on the U.S. Consulate there was an effort to free those prisoners.

President Barack Obama issued an executive order in January 2009 stripping the CIA of its authority to take prisoners.

The move means the CIA can no longer operate secret jails across the globe as it had done under the administration of President George W. Bush.

CIA spokesman Preston Golson said "any suggestion that the agency is still in the detention business is uninformed and baseless."

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162-...s-in-benghazi/

"I don't know if a lot of you have heard this, but the CIA annex had actually taken a couple of Libyan militia members prisoner and they think that the attack on the consulate was an effort to get these prisoners back," Broadwell said.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/12/us/pet...ion/index.html
Old 12th November 2012, 01:14 PM   #17
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Now that sounds juicy. Kind of a "he said, she said" only with national secrets in the mix.
Old 12th November 2012, 04:08 PM   #18
Doubt
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darth Rotor View Post

You know better.
You knew better.
It may be an honorable move to resign, once found out, but it would be a hell of a lot more honorable not to put yourself in that position.

Well, most of your comments for him also apply to her. She is a Lt. Col. USAR.

Santiago, Chile, Aug. 18 to the 29th. Might run into September
Doubt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2012, 04:10 PM   #19
Doubt
Philosopher

Also waiting for the other shoe to drop. Why was she sending harassing e-mails to another women that knew Petraeus?

Santiago, Chile, Aug. 18 to the 29th. Might run into September
Doubt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2012, 04:59 PM   #20
Charlie Wilkes
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Doubt View Post
Also waiting for the other shoe to drop. Why was she sending harassing e-mails to another women that knew Petraeus?
Hell hath no fury... Remember the Lisa Nowak, the psycho astronaut?

Broadwell is quite restrained by comparison.
Old 12th November 2012, 06:06 PM   #21
rwguinn
Philosopher

Well, as he is now just a civilian, he cannot testify to or brief Congress regarding classified material without express permission from the WH....
I pointed out that his argument was wrong in every particular, but he rightfully took me to task for attacking only the weak points." Myriad http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?postid=6853275#post6853275
rwguinn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2012, 05:26 AM   #22
Cylinder
Philosopher

Originally Posted by rwguinn View Post
Well, as he is now just a civilian, he cannot testify to or brief Congress regarding classified material without express permission from the WH....
That is incorrect. Both intel committees - while not original classification authorities - hold the same effective clearance as the POTUS. Not all individual members hold this overriding security clearance but members of both the majority and minority do. Even if Gen. Petraus lost his SCI, that does not releive him of his responsibility to answer to Congress. The POTUS has no power over what is disseminated to those committees, though they can work to prevent the larger houses from being consulted in some instances.
If you will not fight for the right when you can easily win without bloodshed ; if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than live as slaves. - Winston Churchill, The Gathering Storm
Cylinder is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2012, 05:43 AM   #23
foxholeatheist
Graduate Poster

Considering how other senor officers have gotten away with this sort of thing I wonder even if he was still active duty if anything actually would have happened.

He'll still get his 6 figure a year retirement. Meanwhile enlisted Joe Groundpounder loses all benefits for company grade UCMJ action. In fact, I know of two Soldiers that are being put out of the Army right now for nothing more than being late coming back to post and breaking a 1am curfew.

My Band!
The Heimlich County Gun Club
foxholeatheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2012, 10:29 AM   #24
Charlie Wilkes
Illuminator

Originally Posted by foxholeatheist View Post
Considering how other senor officers have gotten away with this sort of thing I wonder even if he was still active duty if anything actually would have happened.

He'll still get his 6 figure a year retirement. Meanwhile enlisted Joe Groundpounder loses all benefits for company grade UCMJ action. In fact, I know of two Soldiers that are being put out of the Army right now for nothing more than being late coming back to post and breaking a 1am curfew.
The story keeps getting weirder. Another senior general is in the soup because of email correspondence with Jill Kelley, the woman Broadwell allegedly harassed by email. Was he having an affair with Kelley? Or did he join Broadwell in harassing or threatening her? We don't know, but we're gonna find out.

Paula Broadwell is pretty hot, with a flinty, carnivorous edge straight out of central casting. And it looks like she has done some real damage.
Old 13th November 2012, 11:25 AM   #25
Noztradamus
Master Poster

The story keeps getting weirder. Another senior general is in the soup because of email correspondence with Jill Kelley, the woman Broadwell allegedly harassed by email. Was he having an affair with Kelley? Or did he join Broadwell in harassing or threatening her? We don't know, but we're gonna find out.

Paula Broadwell is pretty hot, with a flinty, carnivorous edge straight out of central casting. And it looks like she has done some real damage.
If I was writing the story, Petraeus wanted to end the affair with Broadwell. He's too prominent to simply claim that he died, so he exchanged e-mails (purportedly from Broadwell) with family fiend Kelley, who then gave them to her friend, shirtless FBI guy, who initiated the investigation implicating Broadwell, who is actually moderately innocent. She like Allen, just wanted to keep their separate affairs quiet.
Old 13th November 2012, 12:09 PM   #26
Charlie Wilkes
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Noztradamus View Post
If I was writing the story, Petraeus wanted to end the affair with Broadwell. He's too prominent to simply claim that he died, so he exchanged e-mails (purportedly from Broadwell) with family fiend Kelley, who then gave them to her friend, shirtless FBI guy, who initiated the investigation implicating Broadwell, who is actually moderately innocent. She like Allen, just wanted to keep their separate affairs quiet.
I don't think that's it. The latest wrinkle is that both Patraeus and Allen wrote letters on behalf of Kelley's nutty twin after the latter lost a custody battle.

This looks like a familiar saga, the kind Peter Arno used to draw...

http://www.ccantiquesandbooks.com/sh...cba9b529ba.jpg
Old 13th November 2012, 10:36 PM   #27
Charlie Wilkes
Illuminator

These twins in Florida remind me of Piper Rountree and her sister...

http://www.knoxweekly.com.au/story/1...in-debt/?cs=12

http://cmm.lefora.com/2009/01/30/piper-ann-rountree/
Old 14th November 2012, 12:06 AM   #28
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darth Rotor View Post

You know better.
You knew better.

Yeah, but in the general's defense, she is pretty hot.
Old 14th November 2012, 12:54 AM   #29
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Stop Judging, You Prudes

Quote:

In the unfolding affair of David Petraeus, it is difficult to separate the outsized fantasies of a puritanical nation from legitimate questions of national security.

We seem to be groping for hard, substantive reasons to justify our prurient interest and the general feeling that he was right to resign.
Old 14th November 2012, 02:13 AM   #30
Soapy Sam
NLH

Gods, what prudes we are. And what WIERD prudes.

Going abroad and systematically killing hundreds of foreigners he never met is a reason to make the man director of the CIA and heap honours and praise upon him, but screwing one younger woman is the end of the world?

No wonder Arabs think we're wierd.
Soapy Sam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2012, 03:06 AM   #31
MortFurd
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Soapy Sam View Post

Going abroad and systematically killing hundreds of foreigners he never met is a reason to make the man director of the CIA and heap honours and praise upon him, but screwing one younger woman is the end of the world?

Wouldn't screwing a woman you aren't married to in an islamic country get both of you beheaded or something? I sure as hell wouldn't want to get caught screwing around in Saudi Arabia, for example.
MortFurd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2012, 03:11 AM   #32
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MortFurd View Post
Wouldn't screwing a woman you aren't married to in an islamic country get both of you beheaded or something? I sure as hell wouldn't want to get caught screwing around in Saudi Arabia, for example.
"The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 14th November 2012, 06:30 AM   #33
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Paula Broadwell warned Gen. Allen against "seductress" Jill Kelley

The more the press pulls on this string, the more weird and wonderful baubles keep popping out.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/archive..._consuls_e.php

Mrs. Kelley apparently thinks that she has "diplomatic inviolability".
Old 14th November 2012, 11:38 AM   #34
Soapy Sam
NLH

Originally Posted by MortFurd View Post
Hell no.
It might get her stoned to death.
But them's the breaks.

My point was that we look as crazy to them as they do to us. Possibly we're both right?
Soapy Sam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2012, 12:27 PM   #35
Charlie Wilkes
Illuminator

Hell no.
It might get her stoned to death.
But them's the breaks.

My point was that we look as crazy to them as they do to us. Possibly we're both right?
The problem is not the race or culture... it's the species.

I think this guy got it about right:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQOdNY-HdG0
Old 14th November 2012, 12:56 PM   #36
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Alt+F4 View Post
When hasn't a political sex scandal gotten weird? Anthony Weiner anyone? I miss Herman Cain! Oh noes, lets not forget about: Chris Lee, Eric Massa, Clarence Thomas, Larry Craig, Mark Foley & Barney Frank.

....and these are the ones I could only remember off the top of my head.
I think Willy Boy would be hurt if he knew he didn't make your list ..

Prove your computer is not a wimp ! Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2012, 06:43 PM   #37
RandyN
Banned

The problem with the general has nothing to do with his ladies...its more about his activities in Iraq and Afghanistan. I suspect a story will arrive shortly that details how poppies have returned as a cash crop for the Afghans all under the watchful eye of....well you know who.

Sadly they are letting this clown escape conduct unbecoming charges. A regular military man caught with his pants so far down around his ankles would be drummed out and pension and benefits stripped. But sure... the affair only started after the general retired...said the general to his wife.
RandyN is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2012, 06:49 PM   #38
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Yeah, but in the general's defense, she is pretty hot.
True.

True.
"The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
True.

You guys rock.
"Jesus wept, but did He laugh?"--F.H. Buckley____"There is one thing that was too great for God to show us when He walked upon our earth ... His mirth." --Chesterton__"If the barbarian in us is excised, so is our humanity."--D'rok__ "I only use my gun whenever kindness fails."-- Robert Earl Keen__"Sturgeon spares none.". -- The Marquis
Darth Rotor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2012, 08:50 PM   #39
Charlie Wilkes
Illuminator

I can see why Patraeus would succumb to temptation with Paula Broadwell. But I can't understand why he and General Allen would get so involved with Jill Kelley and her sister, who sound like a couple of nuts.

Now this guy has wandered onto the stage...

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-...ick-humphries/

This is Kelley's FBI friend, the one who sent her a shirtless photo of himself.
Old 14th November 2012, 08:58 PM   #40
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

I can see why Patraeus would succumb to temptation with Paula Broadwell. But I can't understand why he and General Allen would get so involved with Jill Kelley and her sister, who sound like a couple of nuts.

Now this guy has wandered onto the stage...

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-...ick-humphries/

This is Kelley's FBI friend, the one who sent her a shirtless photo of himself.
You know, I have a lot of crazy friends. I have a lot of crazy women friends. I can even see myself looking into someone or something from my crazy women friends. Hell, I can't even see how a topless photo is that scandalous. Several people have them of me, with no sexual context at all. Although I can see that one might send such a picture inside sexual contexts.

What were we talking about again? Oh yeah, right. What's the issue with the FBI agent again? Doesn't sound like he's done anything out there or worthy of condemnation yet, unless you count have nutty friends.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

JREF Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events