JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Old 13th November 2012, 08:57 PM   #1
Newbeak
Scholar

Question Denver UFO

Here's another interesting story on CNN: http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_t3#...in-denver.kdvr
Seems to be on a schedule-CNN got it on their cameras as well.
Old 13th November 2012, 09:02 PM   #2
sol
New Blood

drunk beetles
sol is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2012, 09:06 PM   #3
StankApe
Banned

looks like bugs to me....

StankApe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2012, 09:07 PM   #4
Sonny2
Muse

wait a minute - the news says the objects are not visible to the naked eye, yet the filmer says they're there several times a week.

FAIL
Sonny2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2012, 09:07 PM   #5
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

How stupid can they get?

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2012, 09:08 PM   #6
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing

Go to the neighborhood where the thing is observed to "land"... at a very rate of speed no less.
And watch the skies!
I Ratant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2012, 09:13 PM   #7
Kilaak Kommander
Critical Thinker

Seems legit
Kilaak Kommander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2012, 09:30 PM   #8
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing

Big things can't move that fast at the distance they appear to be, in the atmosphere.
Therefore, they're small things, close.
Put up a screen some distance away in the direction they're seen.
If they go behind it, they're farther away.
Bring some bug spray and check for bugs in the area near the camera(s).
I Ratant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2012, 04:53 AM   #9
smartcooky
Master Poster

They are filming in what appears to be a freshly ploughed field.

Any second rate farm hand could tell you what is happening here; they are bugs and beetles, attracted by the soil disturbance.

Geez some people are so easily sucked-in!!
OCCAMS Razor - 9/11 was a terrorist attack by Islamic extremists organised by Osama Bin Laden; the Apollo astronauts walked on the Moon; JFK was assassinated by a single gunmen, Lee Harvey Oswald, acting alone.
► "Conspiracism is a shortcut to the illusion of erudition." - JayUtah
► Heisenberg's Law - The weirdness of the Universe is inversely proportional to the scale at which you observe it, or not.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2012, 05:59 AM   #10
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

One way to cure this guy of his belief is to get a high speed camera and place it next to his camera. You will then see clearly what is darting around in the frame.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2012, 05:04 PM   #11
Newbeak
Scholar

Lightbulb Golden opportunity for NICAP

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
One way to cure this guy of his belief is to get a high speed camera and place it next to his camera. You will then see clearly what is darting around in the frame.
Good idea,especially if it keeps to a schedule.
Old 14th November 2012, 05:23 PM   #12
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing

Anyone contacted that Denver station about this? I couldn't see any link with the videos.
Old 14th November 2012, 05:27 PM   #13
FFed
Muse

It was a little fuzzy and out of focus, are you sure it wasn't Bigfoot?
FFed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2012, 05:34 PM   #14
mike3
Master Poster

The fact that you can go to this spot and capture it while nobody else sees it from miles away suggests these objects are a LOT smaller and closer to the camera than some might make them out to be. This would be consistent with bugs or small particles of some sort drifting through the air.
“Ego is subversive and devolutionary, truly destructive and terrible; ego is the generator of privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. Ego is the fire that burns within the pit of hell, devouring and consuming everything that enters and leaving utterly nothing behind. Ego is horrible, cruel, and restraining, the darkness of the world, and the doom and bane of man.” – my reaction to that famous Bertrand Russell quote.

Last edited by mike3; 14th November 2012 at 05:36 PM.
mike3 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2012, 05:42 PM   #15
Newbeak
Scholar

Originally Posted by I Ratant View Post
Anyone contacted that Denver station about this? I couldn't see any link with the videos.
I just sent them an email asking if they could use a high speed video camera on the object.It is Fox affiliate KDVR
Old 14th November 2012, 05:47 PM   #16
calwaterbear
Thinker

Originally Posted by FFed View Post
It was a little fuzzy and out of focus, are you sure it wasn't Bigfoot?
first of all google up rods, or flying rods, this is the modern day version of this. But more to the point:

If you watch the video from the news station, when it backlights the original filmer agains his video on a big dscreen, take a look at that arm, thats the hairiest human arm i've ever seen. Clearly it's bigfoot, thats why he asked not to be named!

so what we have here is a Bigfoot trying to divert attention from his imminent discovery, by claiming to see flying saucers - So all the woo busters focus on UFO's instead of the actual story at hand!

brilliant plan!
calwaterbear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2012, 07:19 AM   #17
Denver
Philosopher

You can see the video at the denver station here:

http://kdvr.com/2012/11/08/mile-high...y-over-denver/

With many accompanying comments. The "investigative" reporter, Heidi Hemmat, has her bio and contact at: http://kdvr.com/author/kdvrheidihemmat/

From what I can find (and I am not sure of this), the executive producer appears to be Hayley Herst.
Old 15th November 2012, 08:31 AM   #18
Biscuit
Philosopher

I like how they brought in a aviation expert but not a video or insect expert. They just assumed it was some sort of craft. There are two obvious experiments.

1. (already mentioned) Set up a screen 20 feet out.

2. Film from the mountains on the other side of town at the same time.
Old 15th November 2012, 08:50 AM   #19
Old man
Muse

Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
I like how they brought in a aviation expert but not a video or insect expert. They just assumed it was some sort of craft. There are two obvious experiments.

1. (already mentioned) Set up a screen 20 feet out.

2. Film from the mountains on the other side of town at the same time.
3 Set up a duplicate camera 50 feet away.
Old man is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2012, 09:08 AM   #20
phunk
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Old man View Post
Yep. How can someone be a ufo investigator and not understand something as simple as triangulation?
phunk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2012, 10:26 AM   #21
baron
Graduate Poster

Can people really be this stupid? How do they get dressed in the morning, drive a car? Honestly beggars belief.

baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2012, 10:27 AM   #22
Squeegee Beckenheim
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Old man View Post
And, as has been mentioned:

4. Set up a high-def, slow-mo camera.

The thing is, though...even on that footage, they look like insects. I mean, they already do. So I'm not entirely sure why showing them to be insects more clearly would be necessary.
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2012, 10:52 AM   #23
Biscuit
Philosopher

Of course when a second camera does not record the UFO's they will simply say there is something magical about the original spot that allows the UFO's to be filmed.
Old 15th November 2012, 10:55 AM   #24
Rincewind
Graduate Poster

Big things can't move that fast at the distance they appear to be, in the atmosphere.
Therefore, they're small things, close.
Put up a screen some distance away in the direction they're seen.
If they go behind it, they're farther away.
Bring some bug spray and check for bugs in the area near the camera(s).
I'm reminded of somthing from one of the best comedy programs ever...

Father Ted (holding a model cow) No, Dougal. these are small, and those are far away...
Rincewind is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2012, 11:03 AM   #25
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
And, as has been mentioned:

4. Set up a high-def, slow-mo camera.

The thing is, though...even on that footage, they look like insects. I mean, they already do. So I'm not entirely sure why showing them to be insects more clearly would be necessary.
The ufos will say "Yes, on THAT day, it was bugs, but on all the others.....".
Old 15th November 2012, 11:05 AM   #26
Denver
Philosopher

Space bugs!
Old 15th November 2012, 11:07 AM   #27
ehcks
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Yeah. It's a reasonably good recording on its own. They are clearly and obviously insects. I doubt it could have been more obvious even for the person recording it, and they could have just walked outside and been hit in the head by some of those bugs.
Old 15th November 2012, 11:16 AM   #28
Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Nap, interrupted.

Did anyone suggest insects yet?

~~ Paul

RIP Mr. Skinny
Paul C. Anagnostopoulos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2012, 11:31 AM   #29
TheShadow
Scholar

#1 Peyton Manning throwing footballs around, come on the guy still has a rocket for an arm....

#2 Beetles... "Go home Beetles, you is drunk ! "

(for the record, on at least one of them it appeared you could see the wings buzzing)
TheShadow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2012, 11:37 AM   #30
phunk
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
Of course when a second camera does not record the UFO's they will simply say there is something magical about the original spot that allows the UFO's to be filmed.
Two cameras side by side would be just as effective in ruling out bugs.
phunk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2012, 11:39 AM   #31
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing

The ufos should ask the BFers for assistance in setting up two cameras selectively out of focus at the critical distance, and the same amount of underexposure.
Old 15th November 2012, 12:19 PM   #32
Biscuit
Philosopher

Originally Posted by phunk View Post
Two cameras side by side would be just as effective in ruling out bugs.
I am assuming these bugs could be as far away as around 20 feet depending on the focus of the camera. I understand a digital video camera pointed at the sky will focus to infinity and anything small passing quickly through the frame within 20 feet will be out of focus.

Placing the camera side by side may actual result in confirming the "UFO" is there for some people as they may pick up the same bug 20 feet out. Best to just move down the road a bit IMO.

I am not a digital video expert so feel free to re-educate me on the subject.
Old 15th November 2012, 01:18 PM   #33
phunk
Master Poster

Yeah, but at 20 feet, there would be enough parallax against the background to see that it is 20 feet away.
Old 15th November 2012, 02:16 PM   #34
Biscuit
Philosopher

Originally Posted by phunk View Post
Yeah, but at 20 feet, there would be enough parallax against the background to see that it is 20 feet away.
I was going to say that would work unless the bugs were very small and very close but realized at that size and distance the likely hood of the bug crossing both FOV is very very small.

Very well then, side by side it is.
Old 15th November 2012, 02:57 PM   #35
phunk
Master Poster

Quick back of the envelope math says that with 2 cameras 6 inches apart, and a background 10 miles away, an object 20 feet away will have a quarter mile difference in it's position on the background in the two images.
Old 15th November 2012, 03:09 PM   #36
Stellafane
Village Idiot.

Oh great -- bug size UFOs. Bad enough they do that probe thing on humans; now they're small enough to fly up there and get a first-hand look for themselves.
Old 15th November 2012, 06:08 PM   #37
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by baron View Post
Can people really be this stupid? How do they get dressed in the morning, drive a car? Honestly beggars belief.
I think some people in Colorado are taking full advantage of the Legal Marijuana Laws passed last week......
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2012, 06:10 PM   #38
StankApe
Banned

Easiest way to debunk this is to stand off camera with a can of Raid and see if your "lazer death ray" makes all of these horrible alien craft fall from the sky!

Last edited by StankApe; 15th November 2012 at 06:18 PM.
StankApe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2012, 06:40 AM   #39
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

This actually made the national news last night.....And not a skeptical word from the NBC crew....
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2012, 06:49 AM   #40
Squeegee Beckenheim
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
This actually made the national news last night.....And not a skeptical word from the NBC crew....
How slow a news day does it have to be to have "man films blurry insects in place where you'd expect to find insects" be a news story?
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

JREF Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal