JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Old 8th December 2012, 01:16 AM   #321
RoseMontague
Published Author

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
It's just a false layer answer that makes people feel good. It answers nothing unless you can say where god(s) came from.
And where did all the stuff that makes all the stuff in the universe come from?
Old 8th December 2012, 01:19 AM   #322
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante

Originally Posted by RoseMontague View Post
Lawrence Krauss: Life, the Universe and Nothing
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the JREF. The JREF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

He's given many talks on the subject, if you get a chance to see him, I'd recommend you take it.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232

Last edited by zooterkin; 8th December 2012 at 01:20 AM.
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2012, 01:58 AM   #323
RoseMontague
Published Author

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
So as it stands currently, you're not aware of any physical effects manifested by this soul you posit?

If not, what does it do?
Imo, there are physical things and there is a spiritual side to the universe as well. These sides interact and are both part of the universe. The purpose of each physical thing is beyond me.

My personal opinion is that God exists on the spiritual side and the soul is a way that God connects and interacts with the physical side of creation.
Old 8th December 2012, 02:13 AM   #324
RoseMontague
Published Author

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
Lawrence Krauss: Life, the Universe and Nothing
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the JREF. The JREF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

He's given many talks on the subject, if you get a chance to see him, I'd recommend you take it.
I don't make any claims to know as much about physics as he does, I will note he is not in agreement with some other very smart people on string theory. His concept of scientific morality is an interesting one. He appears to me to be trying to explain the spiritual side of the universe in terms of the physical. That is of course, just my first impression. I will check out the Fifth Essence when I get a chance, considering my avatar and all. All this dark matter stuff is interesting.
Old 8th December 2012, 03:07 AM   #325
dafydd
Banned

I didn't say this. I think it is highly arrogant to think the universe was created for us.
Then where do all the new souls come from?
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2012, 03:14 AM   #326
RoseMontague
Published Author

I didn't say this. I think it is highly arrogant to think the universe was created for us.
Originally Posted by dafydd View Post
Then where do all the new souls come from?
I don't understand the question in relation to my statement.
Old 8th December 2012, 03:25 AM   #327
dafydd
Banned

I don't understand the question in relation to my statement.
If the universe was not created for us then why does god send a constant stream of new souls from other parts of the universe? Why is he depleting other planets of souls just to send them to us?
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2012, 03:33 AM   #328
RoseMontague
Published Author

If the universe was not created for us then why does god send a constant stream of new souls from other parts of the universe? Why is he depleting other planets of souls just to send them to us?
I have no idea of what you are talking about but I will attempt an answer based on what I think you are asking.

My opinion is that souls exist outside of time, they simply interact with and are part of life in the physical universe, there is no coming and going or before and after. Souls are, just as God is, not subject to time, space, and distance. I don't believe the rules are the same on the spiritual side.
Old 8th December 2012, 03:35 AM   #329
dafydd
Banned

I have no idea of what you are talking about but I will attempt an answer based on what I think you are asking.

My opinion is that souls exist outside of time, they simply interact with and are part of life in the physical universe, there is no coming and going or before and after. Souls are, just as God is, not subject to time, space, and distance. I don't believe the rules are the same on the spiritual side.
Good luck. Total nonsense of course, but good luck with that. Have you any idea why god gives children cancer?
Old 8th December 2012, 04:11 AM   #330
RoseMontague
Published Author

Good luck. Total nonsense of course, but good luck with that. Have you any idea why god gives children cancer?
Have you read what some scientists believe about the multi-verse and what other laws could govern other universes? And yet many of these same scientists can't comprehend that there may be a spiritual side to our universe. Just incredible. God doesn't give children cancer. Life and death are a part of the physical side of our universe. We just have to deal with the good and bad as best we can. Even the scientist mentioned by zooterkin proposes a scientific basis to morality, without even having the concept of God. Personaly, I believe it is part of our nature to survive as a species , imo.
Old 8th December 2012, 04:40 AM   #331
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Imo, there are physical things and there is a spiritual side to the universe as well. These sides interact and are both part of the universe. The purpose of each physical thing is beyond me.

My personal opinion is that God exists on the spiritual side and the soul is a way that God connects and interacts with the physical side of creation.
Why are there souls if god didn't make the universe for us?

Do souls always exist or is a new one created with each birth?
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2012, 05:01 AM   #332
Resume
Penultimate Amazing

If these things interact, they can be measured.

Last edited by Resume; 8th December 2012 at 05:09 AM.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2012, 05:10 AM   #333
Resume
Penultimate Amazing

I don't make any claims to know as much about physics as he does, I will note he is not in agreement with some other very smart people on string theory. His concept of scientific morality is an interesting one. He appears to me to be trying to explain the spiritual side of the universe in terms of the physical. That is of course, just my first impression. I will check out the Fifth Essence when I get a chance, considering my avatar and all. All this dark matter stuff is interesting.
You might have missed the string theory joke he made.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2012, 05:33 AM   #334
dafydd
Banned

God doesn't give children cancer.
So your god is not omnipotent? Why do you worship a weak god?
Old 8th December 2012, 05:38 AM   #335
dafydd
Banned

And yet many of these same scientists can't comprehend that there may be a spiritual side to our universe. Just incredible.
Not incredible. Just a total lack of proof.
Old 8th December 2012, 07:44 AM   #336
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

I don't know the answers to your questions. I believe in the basic concept of a soul as well as the basic concept of a creator. Both of these concepts are common in many if not most religions and are part of my personal beliefs.
Well, I'm not trying to take that away from you (for a change) but I find that the basic concept of a soul is usually so undefined and vague, that different people -- or even the same people at different times -- believe mutually incompatible things. In fact, if you take the intersection of all the main beliefs about a soul, the core of that basic concept if you will, you'll get a big fat nothing.

The basic concept of a soul, historically has the only common ground of being some derivative of "breath". In fact, in most contemporary languages, it's still derived from "breath". It's a dying person's last breath. He exhaled something, and now he's not alive any more. What went out? Where did it go?

Of course, nowadays you undoubtedly know that asking where did someone's breath go is like asking where did the ticking go when the clock stopped. So I assume that's not your basic concept of a soul.

So, really, what is your basic concept of a soul? What does it do? Does it have any material properties? (Because that's another thing where different people's ideas differ. Some thought it actually has weight, while others thought it can be caught in transit by birds like whippoorwills.) Does it need sustenance?`(The ancient Egyptians thought: yes.) Can it feel hunger? (Ditto.) Can it die after you're already dead? (Ditto.) Does it depend on anything someone else does? (Ditto.) Do you have just one soul, or several kinds of souls? (Ditto.) Etc.

How would you describe it, in your own words?

It's not enough to have a name for a concept. One must also know what it means, basically.
Old 8th December 2012, 07:54 AM   #337
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by tsig View Post
Why are there souls if god didn't make the universe for us?

Do souls always exist or is a new one created with each birth?
Screw BIRTHS. What happens when a zygote divides wrong and now there are two zygotes? Does God create a new human soul?

Seems to me like with only a few enzymes and a zygote fertilized in vitro, you could produce billions of souls and send them straight to either Limbo (if the Catholics use to be right) and strike one mother of deals with Lucifer for THAT kind of payment, or to heavens (of most fundies are right) and you've saved more souls than Jesus. In fact, you could do it industrially, and save or damn more souls per month than there are people who ever lived.

ETA: credit for the idea goes to SMBC, of course.

Last edited by HansMustermann; 8th December 2012 at 07:56 AM.
HansMustermann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2012, 09:07 AM   #338
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Originally Posted by HansMustermann View Post
Screw BIRTHS. What happens when a zygote divides wrong and now there are two zygotes? Does God create a new human soul?

Seems to me like with only a few enzymes and a zygote fertilized in vitro, you could produce billions of souls and send them straight to either Limbo (if the Catholics use to be right) and strike one mother of deals with Lucifer for THAT kind of payment, or to heavens (of most fundies are right) and you've saved more souls than Jesus. In fact, you could do it industrially, and save or damn more souls per month than there are people who ever lived.

ETA: credit for the idea goes to SMBC, of course.
If we make enough souls and send them to the nether regions maybe we could fill them up so they couldn't take any more souls then all of us would have to live forever.

(Soul train, we're shipping them on the soul train.)
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2012, 09:09 AM   #339
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

How does saying god did it answer that question?

I'm not saying I know, but adding a god layer doesn't add a thing.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 8th December 2012 at 09:13 AM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2012, 08:55 PM   #340
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Yes it does, and an important one too. You see, Rose can ask you a hard question, and when you can't answer, it's a palpable hit, but in return all she has to say is that God did it, and ignorance and completeness become magically one. God wraps the great mysteries of the universe in pretty paper and ties them with a bow. You never have to open them.

I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2012, 09:42 PM   #341
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Yes it does, and an important one too. You see, Rose can ask you a hard question, and when you can't answer, it's a palpable hit, but in return all she has to say is that God did it, and ignorance and completeness become magically one. God wraps the great mysteries of the universe in pretty paper and ties them with a bow. You never have to open them.
What question do you think she can ask that I can't answer?

Because I'm an atheist, not an agnostic. I think people who ask if gods exist ask the wrong question. The question to ask is, what best explains god beliefs? And the answer is, the evidence overwhelmingly supports the conclusion, gods are human generated fiction.

The evidence supports my conclusions. Rose has no evidence at all.
Old 9th December 2012, 12:21 AM   #342
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

Well, there are plenty of questions that nobody can answer thoroughly, because we don't know

E.g. (and bear with me, I'm using a silly one), where did the Big Bang energy come from? Well, we don't actually have the foggiest. The universe was opaque for some hundreds of thousands of years at first, so we can't really 'look' at anything before that point. It's a bit of a black box. We can hypothesize a big amount of energy starting in one point, and check the predictions against what actually came the other side of those strange aeons, which is ok to answer how did that energy turn into matter. But we don't actually see anything else to make further theories about its origins.

E.g., how did life start on Earth? Well, sure, we know that nucleotides and aminoacids form naturally in that kind of environment, and we can have some ideas like RNA world for something that is simple enough so it can arise by sheer chance there. But how did it go from there? At what point did that short self-replicating RNA strand turn into something that uses DNA, RNA and proteins to do the same? How did the cell wall happen? There are serious gaps in our knowledge there, because strands of RNA don't turn into fossils.

Now there is no reason to assume magic for either, but that's far from being the same as having an answer to the question.

So, yes, the believers can ask that kinda stuff and act as if that proves their god, and it only takes ignoring that they have no supportable answer either. And often what they give isn't even an answer at all, or is to a whole other question.
Old 9th December 2012, 01:30 AM   #343
kerikiwi
Philosopher

God doesn't give children cancer. Life and death are a part of the physical side of our universe. We just have to deal with the good and bad as best we can.
Then 'god' is a meaningless nonsense.
kerikiwi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2012, 02:04 AM   #344
AdMan
Philosopher

Originally Posted by AdMan View Post
Hi RoseMontague,

How do you explain the fact that when the brain is physically damaged, through injury or disease such as Alzheimer's--we observe the intellect--the "person"--apparently damaged as well? Where is the soul in all this? Shouldn't that have remained whole?
Yes, I believe this is correct.

Going back to this question - if a soul's manifestation in this earth is a personality--what we think of as a person--why would that personality be deteriorated by physical damage to the brain?

If a soul is incorporeal, why would its manifestation--a personality--be affected as the brain--a physical structure--is damaged?

Does the soul of a person with Alzheimer's also have Alzheimer's? If not, where is that soul when the person is alive but very sick? Is that soul suddenly cured of the disease as the body dies?

Last edited by AdMan; 9th December 2012 at 02:07 AM.
AdMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2012, 03:52 AM   #345
RoseMontague
Published Author

Well, there are plenty of questions that nobody can answer thoroughly, because we don't know

E.g. (and bear with me, I'm using a silly one), where did the Big Bang energy come from? Well, we don't actually have the foggiest. The universe was opaque for some hundreds of thousands of years at first, so we can't really 'look' at anything before that point. It's a bit of a black box. We can hypothesize a big amount of energy starting in one point, and check the predictions against what actually came the other side of those strange aeons, which is ok to answer how did that energy turn into matter. But we don't actually see anything else to make further theories about its origins.

E.g., how did life start on Earth? Well, sure, we know that nucleotides and aminoacids form naturally in that kind of environment, and we can have some ideas like RNA world for something that is simple enough so it can arise by sheer chance there. But how did it go from there? At what point did that short self-replicating RNA strand turn into something that uses DNA, RNA and proteins to do the same? How did the cell wall happen? There are serious gaps in our knowledge there, because strands of RNA don't turn into fossils.

Now there is no reason to assume magic for either, but that's far from being the same as having an answer to the question.

So, yes, the believers can ask that kinda stuff and act as if that proves their god, and it only takes ignoring that they have no supportable answer either. And often what they give isn't even an answer at all, or is to a whole other question.
Just a terrific post Hans and no, I have no supportable answers either. Both rely on the theory that something happened, either by what you refer to as magic or by science. My opinion is God created a universe that contains both. Man has shown a lot of interest in finding answers to the science part of the equation. Still something is missing or perhaps it has just yet to have been found. Both science and religion could use a bit of cross-training, in my opinion.
Old 9th December 2012, 03:58 AM   #346
RoseMontague
Published Author

Before there was the physical side of the universe, it would seem logical to me there would have to be something else that was not physical. My opinion is that time itself may be a part of creation, a linear measure, and some presence may exist outside of it's boundaries.
Old 9th December 2012, 04:36 AM   #347
RoseMontague
Published Author

Originally Posted by AdMan View Post
Going back to this question - if a soul's manifestation in this earth is a personality--what we think of as a person--why would that personality be deteriorated by physical damage to the brain?

If a soul is incorporeal, why would its manifestation--a personality--be affected as the brain--a physical structure--is damaged?

Does the soul of a person with Alzheimer's also have Alzheimer's? If not, where is that soul when the person is alive but very sick? Is that soul suddenly cured of the disease as the body dies?
Perhaps a person that becomes less self aware becomes more aware of their spiritual nature, the soul having a greater influence on their awareness. It is something I can't answer. I believe that a cure for Alzheimer's is approaching, there have been some recent advances that seem promising. Maybe if someone is cured of a sever case of this could possibly answer the question of what was going on in their mind during this time. The closest thing we have is those that have technically died and been brought back to life. Some of these stories point to an awareness of the spiritual side of the universe, there is a lot of debate however as to the causes of this witness.
Old 9th December 2012, 04:39 AM   #348
RoseMontague
Published Author

Originally Posted by kerikiwi View Post
When I see Her, I will be sure and tell Her you said so.
Old 9th December 2012, 04:42 AM   #349
RoseMontague
Published Author

Well, I'm not trying to take that away from you (for a change) but I find that the basic concept of a soul is usually so undefined and vague, that different people -- or even the same people at different times -- believe mutually incompatible things. In fact, if you take the intersection of all the main beliefs about a soul, the core of that basic concept if you will, you'll get a big fat nothing.

The basic concept of a soul, historically has the only common ground of being some derivative of "breath". In fact, in most contemporary languages, it's still derived from "breath". It's a dying person's last breath. He exhaled something, and now he's not alive any more. What went out? Where did it go?

Of course, nowadays you undoubtedly know that asking where did someone's breath go is like asking where did the ticking go when the clock stopped. So I assume that's not your basic concept of a soul.

So, really, what is your basic concept of a soul? What does it do? Does it have any material properties? (Because that's another thing where different people's ideas differ. Some thought it actually has weight, while others thought it can be caught in transit by birds like whippoorwills.) Does it need sustenance?`(The ancient Egyptians thought: yes.) Can it feel hunger? (Ditto.) Can it die after you're already dead? (Ditto.) Does it depend on anything someone else does? (Ditto.) Do you have just one soul, or several kinds of souls? (Ditto.) Etc.

How would you describe it, in your own words?

It's not enough to have a name for a concept. One must also know what it means, basically.
Hans, your other post was truly fantastic. Let's call it an I-Soul, release 4.5
Old 9th December 2012, 04:43 AM   #350
RoseMontague
Published Author

If we make enough souls and send them to the nether regions maybe we could fill them up so they couldn't take any more souls then all of us would have to live forever.

(Soul train, we're shipping them on the soul train.)
Do Zombies have souls?
Old 9th December 2012, 05:24 AM   #351
jhunter1163
Beer-swilling semiliterate

Perhaps a person that becomes less self aware becomes more aware of their spiritual nature, the soul having a greater influence on their awareness. It is something I can't answer. I believe that a cure for Alzheimer's is approaching, there have been some recent advances that seem promising. Maybe if someone is cured of a sever case of this could possibly answer the question of what was going on in their mind during this time. The closest thing we have is those that have technically died and been brought back to life. Some of these stories point to an awareness of the spiritual side of the universe, there is a lot of debate however as to the causes of this witness.
I hope you're right about Alzheimer's, as my wife has been diagnosed with early dementia and, at her relatively young age (59) her prognosis is not favorable.

I saw a cartoon once that pretty well summed up my views on this question; it was captioned "A scientist's annual moment of wild abandon" and showed him running through the lab yelling "The universe is too orderly to just be a big accident!"
jhunter1163 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2012, 05:47 AM   #352
RoseMontague
Published Author

Originally Posted by jhunter1163 View Post
I hope you're right about Alzheimer's, as my wife has been diagnosed with early dementia and, at her relatively young age (59) her prognosis is not favorable.

I saw a cartoon once that pretty well summed up my views on this question; it was captioned "A scientist's annual moment of wild abandon" and showed him running through the lab yelling "The universe is too orderly to just be a big accident!"
I am truly sorry to hear this, my thoughts and prayers will include your wife and family. Here is a link that gives some of the more recent advances...

http://www.sciencedaily.com/news/min...zheimer's/
Old 9th December 2012, 08:11 AM   #353
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

Just a terrific post Hans and no, I have no supportable answers either. Both rely on the theory that something happened, either by what you refer to as magic or by science. My opinion is God created a universe that contains both. Man has shown a lot of interest in finding answers to the science part of the equation. Still something is missing or perhaps it has just yet to have been found. Both science and religion could use a bit of cross-training, in my opinion.
Well, but the problem some of us have is that even assuming something missing there, it's not at all obvious how do you get to God from there. In fact, to specifically the Christian God.

I mean, let's say SOMETHING provided the energy there. It's a bit of a stretch to get from there to even that it was something with an intelligence, or that it was its intent to create a universe.

I mean, the current understanding is that the universe started as a gravitational singularity, i.e., the centre of a black hole. (Technically we could still be in a black hole.) Which, as far as we know, could always have been there until some instability made it explode. Or maybe there is no such thing as "before", as both space and time as we know them didn't exist yet before the bang.

But let's say there's something that could provide the extra oomph to make the black hole go kablooie. Does it have to have intelligence or intent? Well, not really. For all we know, it could be a natural phenomenon. Stars go kablooie all the time without someone blowing them up. Why can't a singularity do the same?

But ok, let's say it was something with intelligence, just for argument sake. Did it intend to create a universe. We don't really know, and it's far from the only possibility. For all we know, the universe could be a side-effect for something else, created or not.

Let's say it has both intelligence and intent... does it care about you personally? We're talking a being which provided enough energy for 9 SEXTILLION stars in the observable universe. That is 9,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars. Kinda makes one feel insignificant, innit? Does such a being actually have the interest and time to micro-manage something human-sized, or is the experiment really at universe scale?

To give you a sense of proportions, last Christmas I had a lot of food, and, well, some eventually went bad. You can pretty much imagine the bacteria in my pot of soup thinking I must care about each of them individually, because I created that pot of soup for them to live in. But in truth, not only I didn't create it for them, nor care about an individual bacterium, nor will make miracles for it, but they're something I can't even see. And actually they're something unwanted, not something I want to care deeply about. I wanted some soup, not the bacteria.

That's not even hyperbole, but actually a mild analogy. The size and scope difference between you and the universe is actually even more tremendous than between a bacterium and my pot of soup.

Etc.

So, yes, there are some missing steps. All the above and then some are extra missing steps you need to solve before you can go, "therefore God." God-did-it actually needs a bit more than the science version does.
Old 9th December 2012, 08:37 AM   #354
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by kerikiwi View Post
You could put it ^ this way when it comes to answering creation questions.

Obviously myths play some important role in human cultural evolution. That doesn't mean humans can't live without god myths. Quite the contrary, it's my opinion god beliefs are destined to be replaced by the more successful scientific process. It might take another thousand years, give or take, but as we get better at observing the evidence, it will get harder and harder to believe in god myths.
Old 9th December 2012, 08:43 AM   #355
RoseMontague
Published Author

Well, but the problem some of us have is that even assuming something missing there, it's not at all obvious how do you get to God from there. In fact, to specifically the Christian God.

I mean, let's say SOMETHING provided the energy there. It's a bit of a stretch to get from there to even that it was something with an intelligence, or that it was its intent to create a universe.

I mean, the current understanding is that the universe started as a gravitational singularity, i.e., the centre of a black hole. (Technically we could still be in a black hole.) Which, as far as we know, could always have been there until some instability made it explode. Or maybe there is no such thing as "before", as both space and time as we know them didn't exist yet before the bang.

But let's say there's something that could provide the extra oomph to make the black hole go kablooie. Does it have to have intelligence or intent? Well, not really. For all we know, it could be a natural phenomenon. Stars go kablooie all the time without someone blowing them up. Why can't a singularity do the same?

But ok, let's say it was something with intelligence, just for argument sake. Did it intend to create a universe. We don't really know, and it's far from the only possibility. For all we know, the universe could be a side-effect for something else, created or not.

Let's say it has both intelligence and intent... does it care about you personally? We're talking a being which provided enough energy for 9 SEXTILLION stars in the observable universe. That is 9,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars. Kinda makes one feel insignificant, innit? Does such a being actually have the interest and time to micro-manage something human-sized, or is the experiment really at universe scale?

To give you a sense of proportions, last Christmas I had a lot of food, and, well, some eventually went bad. You can pretty much imagine the bacteria in my pot of soup thinking I must care about each of them individually, because I created that pot of soup for them to live in. But in truth, not only I didn't create it for them, nor care about an individual bacterium, nor will make miracles for it, but they're something I can't even see. And actually they're something unwanted, not something I want to care deeply about. I wanted some soup, not the bacteria.

That's not even hyperbole, but actually a mild analogy. The size and scope difference between you and the universe is actually even more tremendous than between a bacterium and my pot of soup.

Etc.

So, yes, there are some missing steps. All the above and then some are extra missing steps you need to solve before you can go, "therefore God." God-did-it actually needs a bit more than the science version does.
I didn't take the OP as talking about the Christian God. The topic was what do JREF religious believers believe . Religious covers a lot of territory. However, I enjoyed reading the bible and there are concepts in there that I think are sound. I feel the same way about some of the other religions and I love some of the rituals involved in practicing one's religion. I think it is a great way to focus on our spiritual side regardless of what the practical aspects of a religion are. My current beliefs would probably be described as a form of Neopaganism although I still adhere to the one God theory (with different aspects).

As I posted earlier I believe God spoke. The Word was the beginning for the universe. I believe in respect for our creator through forms of worship, ritual, and prayer. I believe in miracles.
Old 9th December 2012, 08:44 AM   #356
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Before there was the physical side of the universe, it would seem logical to me there would have to be something else that was not physical. My opinion is that time itself may be a part of creation, a linear measure, and some presence may exist outside of it's boundaries.
What does adding sentience to your mystery do? No evidence supports a sentient being hypothesis. Couple that with the fact there are thousands of god myths we know are not true, and not a single god myth that there is any evidence for and the "logical" conclusion is, gods are mythical human creations and the Universe's creation had nothing to do with souls or sentient beings.
Old 9th December 2012, 09:00 AM   #357
tsig
a carbon based life-form

I didn't take the OP as talking about the Christian God. The topic was what do JREF religious believers believe . Religious covers a lot of territory. However, I enjoyed reading the bible and there are concepts in there that I think are sound. I feel the same way about some of the other religions and I love some of the rituals involved in practicing one's religion. I think it is a great way to focus on our spiritual side regardless of what the practical aspects of a religion are. My current beliefs would probably be described as a form of Neopaganism although I still adhere to the one God theory (with different aspects).

As I posted earlier I believe God spoke. The Word was the beginning for the universe. I believe in respect for our creator through forms of worship, ritual, and prayer. I believe in miracles.

Our respect and worship of god can only have meaning to god if we're some what on the same plane of existence so you seem view god as a human just bigger and better.
Old 9th December 2012, 09:03 AM   #358
RoseMontague
Published Author

What does adding sentience to your mystery do? No evidence supports a sentient being hypothesis. Couple that with the fact there are thousands of god myths we know are not true, and not a single god myth that there is any evidence for and the "logical" conclusion is, gods are mythical human creations and the Universe's creation had nothing to do with souls or sentient beings.
There were many scientific theories adopted as working models that were later shown to be lacking or incorrect. That did not mean they were without value or had some basic element of truth behind them. For me as well as many other believers, we sense something spiritual in the universe . Our attempts to explain these things are most likely flawed. But they still have value and usefulness, imo.
Old 9th December 2012, 09:05 AM   #359
RoseMontague
Published Author

Our respect and worship of god can only have meaning to god if we're some what on the same plane of existence so you seem view god as a human just bigger and better.
Not a chance in heaven. I view the soul as being of God, so only by our spiritual nature do we have such a connection.
Old 9th December 2012, 09:16 AM   #360
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

There were many scientific theories adopted as working models that were later shown to be lacking or incorrect. That did not mean they were without value or had some basic element of truth behind them. For me as well as many other believers, we sense something spiritual in the universe . Our attempts to explain these things are most likely flawed. But they still have value and usefulness, imo.
Ah, nice try. But the difference is, along with failed scientific hypotheses were many many many successful ones.

Not a single god myth has ever turned out to be true.

The evidence overwhelmingly supports the conclusion, all gods are human generated fiction.

The evidence overwhelmingly supports the conclusion, the scientific process reveals the closest approximation of the real Universe.

The fact science is successful while god belief methods (prayer and ritual) are not, is very hard to ignore with open eyes. You said you believe in miracles. That suggests you believe in things that haven't been shown to actually occur.

JREF Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy