JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Old 20th November 2012, 05:59 PM   #1
michael44
Thinker

PETA asks Obama to spare the pardon on turkeys

http://www.politico.com/politico44/2...ng-150038.html I can understand PETA's position on asking Obama to "spare" as opposed to "pardon" a couple of turkeys, however, as an omnivore, come tomorrow, i'm about to let the carnivore side of me speak for itself. Happy Thankgiving everyone!

Hope I posted this in the correct forum. ....
michael44 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 05:53 AM   #2
mikeyx
Banned

Originally Posted by michael44 View Post
http://www.politico.com/politico44/2...ng-150038.html I can understand PETA's position on asking Obama to "spare" as opposed to "pardon" a couple of turkeys, however, as an omnivore, come tomorrow, i'm about to let the carnivore side of me speak for itself. Happy Thankgiving everyone!

Hope I posted this in the correct forum. ....
PETA is a bunch of idiots. I hunt turkeys, and if I get one, I'll be skinning it in your honor...... you guys can have the wish bone, I'm keeping the gobble and one of the feet as a necklace.

Waaaaaaaah....
mikeyx is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 06:13 AM   #3
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

The turkey needs a pardon as they are guilty...of being, well, this is a lame joke not gonna bother finishing it.

Soylent Green is turkeys! Run, Jimmy! Run!!!

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 06:21 AM   #4
Flo
Master Poster

Being deliciously comestible is turkeys' divine punishment for being noisily stupid ...
Flo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 09:19 AM   #5
Cain
Straussian

Starting Now

For every anti-PETA post in this thread, I'm gonna donate THREE dollars to PETA.
"Alright, alright, alright. I just wanna say one more thing, brother: I was on the Dessi bandwagon before it was cool. And you can say that I said that. " -- Matthew McConaughey, private correspondence.

Last edited by Cain; 21st November 2012 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Or I'll send the money to the lovely, pro-"terrorist" magazine BITE BACK.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 09:20 AM   #6
DragonLady
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
For every anti-PETA post in this thread, I'm gonna donate three dollars to PETA.
You might want to rethink that...you may well be bankrupt before Christmas.

“She would be half a planet away, floating in a turquoise sea, dancing by moonlight to flamenco guitar.” ~ Janet Fitch

The Gweat and Tewwible Winged One
DragonLady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 09:37 AM   #7
Quad4_72
AI-EE-YAH!

For every anti-PETA post in this thread, I'm gonna donate THREE dollars to PETA.
For every PRO-PETA post, I am going to eat twice the meat every meal.
Looks like the one on top has a magazine, thus needs less reloading. Also, the muzzle shroud makes it less likely for a spree killer to burn his hands. The pistol grip makes it more comfortable for the spree killer to shoot. thaiboxerken
Quad4_72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 09:39 AM   #8
Lisa Simpson
Evil Minion
Administrator

For every pro-PETA post, I'm going to shake my head sadly at the supporters of terrorism.

Facts are satanic litter on the heavenly highway to blind faith! - Betty Bowers
Lisa Simpson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 09:42 AM   #9
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

According to the link in the link, nobody is going to eat either of these birds anyway.

If you eat all your turkeys at Thanksgiving, what are you going to have for Christmas dinner?

Rolfe.
Old 21st November 2012, 09:47 AM   #10
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
According to the link in the link, nobody is going to eat either of these birds anyway.

If you eat all your turkeys at Thanksgiving, what are you going to have for Christmas dinner?

Rolfe.
Ham.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 10:01 AM   #11
mumblethrax
Species traitor

Originally Posted by Quad4_72 View Post
For every PRO-PETA post, I am going to eat twice the meat every meal.
Me too.
mumblethrax is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 10:06 AM   #12
IMST
If Charlie Parker Was a Gunslinger, There'd Be a Whole Lot of Dead Copycats

Hey PETA: You're a wonderful organization and I hate you and hope you die.
Sort that out threateners.
Old 21st November 2012, 10:07 AM   #13
The_Fire
Unimpressed Female

Christmas? Duck or venison.

Mom does rad things with reindeer meat. Seriously, she does. The trick is, apparently, making sure the meat doesn't dry out. And remembering to spit out the buckshots.

yes, boys and girls: I'Ve eaten Rudolph. With great enjoyment. After Dad shot him. Right in front of Santa as well.

(Long story: Dad worked as a civilian on Sønderstrøm Airforce Base in Greenland, Took up hunting, shot a reindeer, send home the meat and we had a very nice christmas dinner on it. And if you want to talk about stupid avians, try grouse: When they hunted them in Greenland, They could pretty much walk right up and stand within a foot of the stoopid things without them even reacting. Since Dad and his buddies liked to give the things a sporting chance, they actually had to have clappers chasing the dumb things into flight.)
"We? That better be you and that invisible aardwarck in your pocket you are talking about, because I KNOW you are not stupid enough to open a giant can of whoop ass by claiming you know what I think."
Stop Sylvia Browne
The_Fire is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 10:10 AM   #14
mumblethrax
Species traitor

Originally Posted by IMST View Post
Hey PETA: You're a wonderful organization and I hate you and hope you die.
Sort that out threateners.
Done. I will be eating as much meat as a normally would, and also twice as much meat as I normally would, at every meal.
mumblethrax is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 10:18 AM   #15
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

Originally Posted by The_Fire View Post
Mom does rad things with reindeer meat.
Reindeer meat can be fanastic. One of my favorite Nordic dishes is Finnbiff - literally Finnish steak.
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 10:19 AM   #16
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by mikeyx View Post
PETA is a bunch of idiots. I hunt turkeys, and if I get one, I'll be skinning it in your honor...... you guys can have the wish bone, I'm keeping the gobble and one of the feet as a necklace.

Waaaaaaaah....
I strongly suspect they have a lot of members who are far worse than idiots.

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 10:37 AM   #17
sarge
Illuminator

I don't get PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals). God wants us to eat animals, else he would not have constructed them of meat.
Old 21st November 2012, 10:41 AM   #18
Babbylonian
Philosopher

Christmas? Duck or venison.

Mom does rad things with reindeer meat. Seriously, she does. The trick is, apparently, making sure the meat doesn't dry out. And remembering to spit out the buckshots.
I admit that I've never hunted, but don't most folks kill reindeer with rifles, just like regular deer? Shotguns are for the birds!
Old 21st November 2012, 10:44 AM   #19
StankApe
Banned

buck shot man!!! shotgun load that consists of a big slug(or several large slugs). very effective
StankApe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 10:45 AM   #20
commandlinegamer
Philosopher

Turkey, like most meat, is over-rated.

But PETA are PITA.
Old 21st November 2012, 10:46 AM   #21
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

In Norway, reindeer are domesticated, so no need to shoot them.
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 10:46 AM   #22
mumblethrax
Species traitor

Originally Posted by sarge View Post
PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals)
Oh man, that's great! Did you come up with that?

Quote:
God wants us to eat animals, else he would not have constructed them of meat.
Ha! It's funny because it's true.
Old 21st November 2012, 10:46 AM   #23
Babbylonian
Philosopher

Originally Posted by StankApe View Post
buck shot man!!! shotgun load that consists of a big slug(or several large slugs). very effective
See? That's how stupid I am about hunting. Growing up, all the folks I knew who hunted deer used rifles so I figured that was the "usual" way.
Old 21st November 2012, 10:47 AM   #24
Aepervius
Philosopher

Careful, those PETA guy are supporting terrorism and are hypocrite. You may reconsider that dropping to 3 cents , or fill for chapter 7 .

"I want, and this is my last and most dear wish, I want that the last of the king be strangled with the guts of the last priest" (Jean Meslier / 1664-1729 / Testament)
A very early french atheist, a catholic priest in life.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 10:47 AM   #25
StankApe
Banned

Originally Posted by commandlinegamer View Post

But PETA are PITA.
There is no way on this planet that ANYBODY who has had delicious turkey and TURKEY ***** GRAVY!!!, could even fathom using the word 'overrated"

you are officially in time out!

StankApe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 10:49 AM   #26
Aepervius
Philosopher

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
I strongly suspect they have a lot of members who are far worse than idiots.
Indeed some of their member are downright terrorist from the ALF.

"I want, and this is my last and most dear wish, I want that the last of the king be strangled with the guts of the last priest" (Jean Meslier / 1664-1729 / Testament)
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 10:50 AM   #27
mumblethrax
Species traitor

Not just terrorists: vegeterrorists.
Old 21st November 2012, 10:51 AM   #28
Aepervius
Philosopher

Originally Posted by mumblethrax View Post
Oh man, that's great! Did you come up with that?

Ha! It's funny because it's true.
People EAting Tasty Animals is probably as old as PETA being in the news.

Anotehr one more appropriate is "People Easting Turkey Anyway"

Old 21st November 2012, 10:52 AM   #29
Aepervius
Philosopher

Also from a meat eater that's a pretty interresting statement.

Alternatively you might want to ask the mods to rename you as "Abel".

Old 21st November 2012, 10:53 AM   #30
NotJesus
Unsaviory

Originally Posted by commandlinegamer View Post
Blasphemy!
I have now reread what I've just written, and I see that I'm much more intelligent than what I've written. How does it come about that what an intelligent man expresses is much stupider than what remains inside him?
-Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Adolescent
NotJesus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 10:53 AM   #31
The_Fire
Unimpressed Female

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
I admit that I've never hunted, but don't most folks kill reindeer with rifles, just like regular deer? Shotguns are for the birds!
Whops. Called my dad, whom after laughing, told me that I apparently have mixed things up.

You CAN shoot a Reindeer with buckshots, but at VERY short range. Otherwise you just wound the poor thing. Bad form for hunters.

The deer we ate were shot with a 308 cal. rifle (to those whom that makes sense). The Grouse on the other hand were the ones we pulled buckshot out of. My memory got fouled up.
"We? That better be you and that invisible aardwarck in your pocket you are talking about, because I KNOW you are not stupid enough to open a giant can of whoop ass by claiming you know what I think."
Stop Sylvia Browne
The_Fire is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 10:55 AM   #32
The_Fire
Unimpressed Female

Originally Posted by Ryokan View Post
In Norway, reindeer are domesticated, so no need to shoot them.
Very civilised . But then you don't get to traumatize the next generation by telling them you shot Rudolf and that this year, Santa cant visit

ETA: Yes, my family is sadistic that way.
Stop Sylvia Browne

Last edited by The_Fire; 21st November 2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old 21st November 2012, 10:58 AM   #33
mumblethrax
Species traitor

Originally Posted by Aepervius View Post
People EAting Tasty Animals is probably as old as PETA being in the news.
Oh, well...it's new to me!

Quote:
Anotehr one more appropriate is "People Easting Turkey Anyway"
I don't get it.
Old 21st November 2012, 11:00 AM   #34
Cain
Straussian

Originally Posted by DragonLady View Post
You might want to rethink that...you may well be bankrupt before Christmas.
We'll say it's only $15 so far. It's the holiday of giving...
"Alright, alright, alright. I just wanna say one more thing, brother: I was on the Dessi bandwagon before it was cool. And you can say that I said that. " -- Matthew McConaughey, private correspondence.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 11:01 AM   #35
mumblethrax
Species traitor

How much terrorism does $15 buy?
Old 21st November 2012, 11:01 AM   #36
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Here's a turkey for you ..

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the JREF. The JREF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Prove your computer is not a wimp ! Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 11:01 AM   #37
The_Fire
Unimpressed Female

And then everyone else decides to be funny and start spamming the thread with anti-peta posts.

Seriously, its like taunting Murphy: He usually end up creating a new law just to **** you over.
Stop Sylvia Browne
Old 21st November 2012, 11:06 AM   #38
IDB87
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post

Rolfe.
Pheasant.
Old 21st November 2012, 11:06 AM   #39
Macgyver1968
Illuminator

**** peta
Old 21st November 2012, 11:14 AM   #40
Cain
Straussian

And then everyone else decides to be funny and start spamming the thread with anti-peta posts.

Seriously, its like taunting Murphy: He usually end up creating a new law just to **** you over.
We'll blow up that bridge when we get to it. Right now YOU can support vegeterrorism (and make sure no one in my immediate family gets gifts for Christmas).

$18

JREF Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events