JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Old 23rd November 2012, 09:48 PM   #81
StankApe
Banned

Really? When I think of animal welfare I think of a vet being called to a house because the pony living there is malnourished and it's feet are in bad shape, or the 'animal cops' type things.

when I think of animal rights, I think of some goofy 20 yr old kid in a flannel shirt and a ski mask setting a bunch of chimps loose then burning the lab down.
StankApe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2012, 10:06 PM   #82
The_Animus
Graduate Poster

Is it wrong to eat meat? Well, there is no wrong or right but that's another discussion. But no, obviously based on our physiology we are equipped to do so and all living things need to eat.

Is it wrong to pump millions of animals full of drugs, force them to sometimes live in incredibly small spaces and even cut off parts of their body or hunt them for sport, all to fulfill our personal preferences rather than as necessity? I'd say probably, but then again I eat meat often so I guess that makes me a hypocrite.

Oddly enough many people who make comments such as "I'll eat twice as much meat to compensate for the vegetarian" are quite in favor of eating beef, pork, chicken, venison, or hunting Turkeys or deer but would be appalled if such factory farming or hunting were to occur with dogs or cats or some other more beloved animal.

I think most of those types, which would include myself, have some vague idea that what we do is wrong but we are so indoctrinated and love the taste so much that we have various justifications, don't think about it too closely or treat the whole thing as a joke so as to not have to worry about it.

Feeding trolls only makes them stronger, yet it is so hard to refrain.
The_Animus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2012, 05:56 AM   #83
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

Originally Posted by StankApe View Post
Really? When I think of animal welfare I think of a vet being called to a house because the pony living there is malnourished and it's feet are in bad shape, or the 'animal cops' type things.

when I think of animal rights, I think of some goofy 20 yr old kid in a flannel shirt and a ski mask setting a bunch of chimps loose then burning the lab down.
Then you are judging based on stereotypes of the people, and not the rationality of the claims of either ideology.
Old 24th November 2012, 10:37 AM   #84
StankApe
Banned

............seriously? wtf do "claims of the ideology" have to do with my perception of the terms?

please enlighten us as to the difference.

I live in the real world, not in a textbook
StankApe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2012, 10:41 AM   #85
Sledge
Grammaton Cleric

Obama should respond to PETA by killing the turkeys with his bare hands.

Then kill the birds as well.

"Science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it would stop" ~ Dara O'Briain.
Sledge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2012, 01:28 PM   #86
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

Originally Posted by StankApe View Post
............seriously? wtf do "claims of the ideology" have to do with my perception of the terms?

please enlighten us as to the difference.

I live in the real world, not in a textbook
You live in anecdotes. I don't judge atheism based on the actions of Dawkins, or Christianity based on the actions of Westboro.

Regan, Francione, and Singer (to name a few) have spent years creating internally consistent (and unique) arguments for animal rights.

Actually, I have to wonder why your first example is of "animal welfare". I know of animal rights organisations that have done very similar things. The founders of Farm Sanctuary come to mind.
Old 24th November 2012, 01:37 PM   #87
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

This is the same PETA that claims dinosaurs (T-Rex and Velociraptors) were vegetarians.

Apparently the notion that animals eat other animals also gets under their craw.

Is it Christmas yet? I'm dying to have a delicious hickory smoked honey baked ham

Last edited by Nay_Sayer; 24th November 2012 at 01:39 PM.
Nay_Sayer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2012, 02:01 PM   #88
StankApe
Banned

Originally Posted by Tsukasa Buddha View Post
You live in anecdotes. I don't judge atheism based on the actions of Dawkins, or Christianity based on the actions of Westboro.

Regan, Francione, and Singer (to name a few) have spent years creating internally consistent (and unique) arguments for animal rights.

Actually, I have to wonder why your first example is of "animal welfare". I know of animal rights organisations that have done very similar things. The founders of Farm Sanctuary come to mind.

............sigh........ *rolls eyes*

whatever.... If an animal welfare person came to my house I'd show them my dog was healthy and my cats' shots were up to date, if an animal rights person came to my house i'd probably hit them with a stick
Old 24th November 2012, 02:03 PM   #89
phildonnia
Master Poster

I think Obama could legally draft the turkeys.
phildonnia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2012, 02:06 PM   #90
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

Originally Posted by Nay_Sayer View Post
This is the same PETA that claims dinosaurs (T-Rex and Velociraptors) were vegetarians.
I'm 100% sure that is exactly what they claimed.

Quote:
Apparently the notion that animals eat other animals also gets under their craw.
Well, lots of people seem to think this is some grand challenge to veganism.

Quote:
Is it Christmas yet? I'm dying to have a delicious hickory smoked honey baked ham
Old 24th November 2012, 08:20 PM   #91
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
According to the link in the link, nobody is going to eat either of these birds anyway.

If you eat all your turkeys at Thanksgiving, what are you going to have for Christmas dinner?

Rolfe.
Turkey again. Turkey is the classic American dish for both Thanksgivng and Christmas.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2012, 11:16 PM   #92
Wildy
Adelaidean

Location: Australia, not that you'll read the "location" field.
Originally Posted by Nay_Sayer View Post
They did? I thought that was the creation museum?

Quote:
That's because animals should know better since they are better than people.

Wildy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2012, 01:04 AM   #93
The_Fire
Unimpressed Female

Originally Posted by Wildy View Post
They did? I thought that was the creation museum?
No. That would be the people who claim dinos didn't exist at all and that the universe is only 6000 years old......

I can't quit decide which group is most moronic....
"We? That better be you and that invisible aardwarck in your pocket you are talking about, because I KNOW you are not stupid enough to open a giant can of whoop ass by claiming you know what I think."
Stop Sylvia Browne
The_Fire is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2012, 01:13 PM   #94
Kahalachan
Illuminator

That's just the dumbest thing I ever heard. Obama helps PETA's cause by saving one animal. They don't like it.

Suppose aliens came down to eat us humans.

And the alien president had a tradition to pardon one of my own kind. Yeah I'd be pretty glad about that and wouldn't want the AETH (Aliens for the Ethical Treatment of Humans) to say that's a tradition harmful to us humans. That's one more human that got to live.
Kahalachan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2012, 02:22 PM   #95
Cain
Straussian

At three dollars a post, let's just call it $50 at this point, which I will donate to Bite Back, a really cool magazine that publicizes the good work of the Animal Liberation Front. Courtesy of the JREF.
"Alright, alright, alright. I just wanna say one more thing, brother: I was on the Dessi bandwagon before it was cool. And you can say that I said that. " -- Matthew McConaughey, private correspondence.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2012, 07:27 PM   #96
LashL
Goddess of Legaltainment™
Administrator

At $3 per post, $50 isn't an appropriate number as 50 is not evenly divisible by 3, so make it $51, or $54, or $57, or $60.

But anyway, PETA sucks. So add another $3.
LashL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2012, 07:30 PM   #97
jj
grumpy old skeptic

PETA is a ridiculous organization dedicated to anti-speciesist presjudice.

Cain, please post a receipt for your donation.
Old 25th November 2012, 07:50 PM   #98
John Mekki
Banned

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
For every anti-PETA post in this thread, I'm gonna donate THREE dollars to PETA.
It seems that not many people here are concerned with animal suffering.
Well, most of the people in this world are not even concerned with human suffering, so you can not expect much.
We are in a minority, I guess
John Mekki is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2012, 08:13 PM   #99
Dessi
Species Traitor

Originally Posted by jj View Post
PETA is a ridiculous organization dedicated to anti-speciesist presjudice.

Cain, please post a receipt for your donation.

One more for the road:

Last edited by Dessi; 25th November 2012 at 08:35 PM.
Dessi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2012, 08:42 PM   #100
John Mekki
Banned

Originally Posted by Dessi View Post
Juliet,
this is not maybe the right place and the right time to tell you but ..

.. I love you! (*)

The world would be a better place with more people like you.

John

(*)
This has not to be intended as a marriage/boyfriend-girlfriendship proposal, just as a generic statement of affection.
I do not want to create any problem with your husband/boyfriend ..

Last edited by John Mekki; 25th November 2012 at 08:52 PM.
John Mekki is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2012, 08:44 PM   #101
John Mekki
Banned

And here are my 10 dollars.

Yes, I should have donate more..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PETA.jpg (48.4 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by John Mekki; 25th November 2012 at 08:53 PM.
Old 25th November 2012, 08:45 PM   #102
Dessi
Species Traitor

Originally Posted by John Mekki View Post
(*)
This has not to be intended as a marriage/boyfriend-girlfriendship proposal, just as a generic statement.
I do not want to create any problem with your husband/boyfriend ..
Trust me, I'll never have any problems with husbands or boyfriends, but my girlfriend Cain is an emotionally delicate flower

Last edited by Dessi; 25th November 2012 at 08:49 PM.
Dessi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2012, 08:54 PM   #103
John Mekki
Banned

Originally Posted by Dessi View Post
Trust me, I'll never have any problems with husbands or boyfriends, but my girlfriend Cain is an emotionally delicate flower
Good.
I will watch my mouth from now on..
Old 25th November 2012, 09:55 PM   #104
Cain
Straussian

Originally Posted by LashL View Post
At $3 per post, $50 isn't an appropriate number as 50 is not evenly divisible by 3, so make it $51, or $54, or $57, or $60.

But anyway, PETA sucks. So add another $3.
I swear to science, Aspergers would be a blessing for some people on this forum. I assumed it was obvious 50 is not divisible by three; I also assumed it was obvious that I wasn't bothering to count up the posts. I'm simply guessing that fifty is nice, round, fair amount, which is what I'm giving. And in my first post I reserved the right to donate to a group that people here find even more loathsome than PETA, which is Bite Back. So that's what I'm doing. And here's evidence.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/853/biteback.png/

And one more thing: Dessi's the best.
"Alright, alright, alright. I just wanna say one more thing, brother: I was on the Dessi bandwagon before it was cool. And you can say that I said that. " -- Matthew McConaughey, private correspondence.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2012, 10:05 PM   #105
John Mekki
Banned

I start to suspect that all the people who are writing anti-PETA posts here are here to instigate us to make donations to PETA.
Part of a pro-PETA consipracy, I fear.

Old 25th November 2012, 10:41 PM   #106
Nosi
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Flo View Post
Being deliciously comestible is turkeys' divine punishment for being noisily stupid ...
Being deliciously comestible is white turkeys' divine punishment for being noisily stupid

ftfy

Hiding from the
Nosi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2012, 10:45 PM   #107
Nosi
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Lisa Simpson View Post
For every pro-PETA post, I'm going to shake my head sadly at the supporters of terrorism.
We can do it together Lisa

Hiding from the
Nosi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2012, 10:49 PM   #108
Nosi
Master Poster

Originally Posted by The_Fire View Post
Christmas? Duck or venison.

Mom does rad things with reindeer meat. Seriously, she does. The trick is, apparently, making sure the meat doesn't dry out. And remembering to spit out the buckshots.

yes, boys and girls: I'Ve eaten Rudolph. With great enjoyment. After Dad shot him. Right in front of Santa as well.

(Long story: Dad worked as a civilian on Sønderstrøm Airforce Base in Greenland, Took up hunting, shot a reindeer, send home the meat and we had a very nice christmas dinner on it. And if you want to talk about stupid avians, try grouse: When they hunted them in Greenland, They could pretty much walk right up and stand within a foot of the stoopid things without them even reacting. Since Dad and his buddies liked to give the things a sporting chance, they actually had to have clappers chasing the dumb things into flight.)
Aren't the grouse endangered?

Hiding from the
Old 25th November 2012, 11:26 PM   #109
Nosi
Master Poster

It seems that not many people here are concerned with animal suffering.
Well, most of the people in this world are not even concerned with human suffering, so you can not expect much.
We are in a minority, I guess
Some humans can become quite ill on a vegan diet, and vegan diets can be out of reach for many low income folks.

There are people who care very much about animal suffering. They sneak into these places either at night or as 'employees' armed with tiny cameras. Many of their videos are on Youtube. Some of the night camera people steal sick egg laying hens from battery cages that are near death and rehab them.

These sneaky films are causing quite the mess for these battery farmers. The public is no longer quite so in the dark.

Hiding from the
Old 25th November 2012, 11:29 PM   #110
Nosi
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
I swear to science, Aspergers would be a blessing for some people on this forum. I assumed it was obvious 50 is not divisible by three; I also assumed it was obvious that I wasn't bothering to count up the posts. I'm simply guessing that fifty is nice, round, fair amount, which is what I'm giving. And in my first post I reserved the right to donate to a group that people here find even more loathsome than PETA, which is Bite Back. So that's what I'm doing. And here's evidence.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/853/biteback.png/

And one more thing: Dessi's the best.
As someone with Aspergers, don't know how to take this...

Hiding from the
Old 25th November 2012, 11:54 PM   #111
Cain
Straussian

Originally Posted by Nosi View Post
Being deliciously comestible is white turkeys' divine punishment for being noisily stupid

ftfy
We can do it together Lisa

Aren't the grouse endangered?
Some humans can become quite ill on a vegan diet, and vegan diets can be out of reach for many low income folks.

There are people who care very much about animal suffering. They sneak into these places either at night or as 'employees' armed with tiny cameras. Many of their videos are on Youtube. Some of the night camera people steal sick egg laying hens from battery cages that are near death and rehab them.

These sneaky films are causing quite the mess for these battery farmers. The public is no longer quite so in the dark.
As someone with Aspergers...
No ****.
Old 26th November 2012, 04:30 AM   #112
John Mekki
Banned

Some humans can become quite ill on a vegan diet, and vegan diets can be out of reach for many low income folks. [..]
BS.
I try to avoid meat since 10 years ago and I am healthy as a healthy horse.
Avoid meat and your life expectancy will be more, not less.

EDIT
All people supporting unnecessary animal suffering should be reborn in a cage for chickens with no space to live and with their beak cut.
For ten consecutive lives.

Last edited by John Mekki; 26th November 2012 at 04:36 AM.
Old 26th November 2012, 04:50 AM   #113
Sledge
Grammaton Cleric

BS.
I try to avoid meat since 10 years ago and I am healthy as a healthy horse.
Avoid meat and your life expectancy will be more, not less.
Everyone in the world is just like you. I did not know that.

"Science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it would stop" ~ Dara O'Briain.
Sledge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2012, 08:59 AM   #114
mikeyx
Banned

Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
Everyone in the world is just like you. I did not know that.
if one were to eat a peta member is that considered veganism?
mikeyx is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2012, 09:15 AM   #115
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

If you want to actually help animals, I implore you to donate to your local Humane Society chapter or the ASPCA, and not PETA.

Last edited by Checkmite; 26th November 2012 at 09:16 AM.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2012, 09:31 AM   #116
mumblethrax
Species traitor

Congratulations on supporting terrorism, Cain, Dessi and John. There is now blood on your hands. Not animal blood--that doesn't count. Also, not the blood of humans. The most important blood of all: property blood.

In response, I'm going to donate like $501 in steaks to me. (For the record, that is divisible by three.)
mumblethrax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2012, 11:09 AM   #117
Sledge
Grammaton Cleric

Originally Posted by mikeyx View Post
if one were to eat a peta member is that considered veganism?
Not sure. I know killing one is referred to as pesticide.

Old 26th November 2012, 12:55 PM   #118
Polaris
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The_Fire View Post
Ya know, these peta-people...The running joke in my family is that one should take these morons, drop them in the middle of the Serengeti with a tree and a herd of VERY hungry lions, monitor the entire thing with remotes cameras and make it a betting event on when they start

...snipped
Just as long as Eva Mendes is spared. If she's gonna get eaten by anybody I'm calling dibs.

I actually didn't have any turkey this Thanksgiving. I'm sort of the house chef but the kitchen is being remodeled and I didn't want my bird and dressing to taste of gypsum. I'll make up for it next year by cooking up a full spread and having plenty of weed on hand to whip up the appetites.

Instead, I went and watched dozens of turkeys get fed to tigers, lions, cougars, etc. at a big cat sanctuary. I wonder what PETA would say about that.
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Roy Moore of Alabama. The world would absolutely benefit by him being run over by any vehicle." - Lowpro
Polaris is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2012, 01:14 PM   #119
Stomatopoda
Muse

Originally Posted by mumblethrax View Post
Congratulations on supporting terrorism
To be fair, only a very small percentage of that money will support terrorism. Most of it will go towards incendiary ad campaigns, nude models, Flash programmers, copyright lawyers (for the Flash games), insulin, and slave-labor Apple products for those brave crusaders of justice to play with while they track down whale boats to film themselves throwing soap at.
Stomatopoda is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2012, 01:32 PM   #120
jj
grumpy old skeptic

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
If you want to actually help animals, I implore you to donate to your local Humane Society chapter or the ASPCA, and not PETA.
Hear, hear. The record is clear on this matter.

JREF Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events