JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Tags bigfoot

Old 16th January 2013, 05:26 AM   #161
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life

I have always tried to be upfront and honest about what I do, I figured I could go back and keep up on what's going on, post the latest news here and have some fun, with it.

No Biggie.

Thanks

Tim
RedRatSnake is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2013, 05:58 AM   #162
Resume
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Slocie's View Post
I have always tried to be upfront and honest about what I do, I figured I could go back and keep up on what's going on, post the latest news here and have some fun, with it.

No Biggie.

Thanks

Tim
Wasn't taking a shot at you.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2013, 07:42 AM   #163
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Wasn't taking a shot at you.
Didn't take it that way.
RedRatSnake is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2013, 06:02 PM   #164
Jodie
Master Poster

I have no idea who anyone is talking about. I haven't seen any fly-byes lately. Did I miss something?
Old 16th January 2013, 08:46 PM   #165
AttorneyTom
Muse

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Ward, I think you're being a bit hard on the Beaver . . .
I am not speaking to any one individual btw.. ? The Beaver is fine.

However, Eddie Haskell, Lumpy and that other kid... what was his name ?

Anyway, I am just fascinated by the concept and what goes on with it ?? This group is very tolerant and open minded especially compared with what apparently goes on at the other end of the spectrum. I think that should be celebrated and commended. Never really realized what happened to folks that began to question the "true believers" on that end. Quite the learning experience for me ! Interesting to hear about.

Yeti on the other hand.. there should be a place for those that were truly indoctrinated to go after the crash ? It has to be extremely emotionally draining and exhausting to begin to understand factual issues vs some of the stuff that was just taken for granted (ie. BS).

Perhaps it might be helpful to set up a thread for them ? Maybe someone who has been through that experience might consider doing that to help them out during that stressful time ? A " Former BF Believer" Thread to help out through the transition. Just a thought...

Last edited by AttorneyTom; 16th January 2013 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Just a thought...
AttorneyTom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2013, 04:41 AM   #166
Resume
Philosopher

Originally Posted by AttorneyTom View Post
Perhaps it might be helpful to set up a thread for them ? Maybe someone who has been through that experience might consider doing that to help them out during that stressful time ? A " Former BF Believer" Thread to help out through the transition. Just a thought...
I think that's a good idea.

Last edited by Resume; 17th January 2013 at 04:46 AM.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2013, 06:03 PM   #167
jerrywayne
Muse

Not to derail, but JREFF vs. BFF. I am amazed that folks at BFF always seem to want to bring up skeptics ("scoftics") in the discussion. Many do not even like skeptics posting there.

Here, believers in "woo" get almost as much space as the topics at hand. And, some skeptics don't like having "bleevers" posting here.

Some BFFers see skeptical posts as representing dark, secret agendas. Here, believers' posts are sometimes viewed suspiciously.

I hate to think we are mirror images.
jerrywayne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2013, 06:07 PM   #168
GT/CS
Illuminator

Sure, if you look at the extremes of both sites you will see similarities.
Old 17th January 2013, 06:16 PM   #169
AttorneyTom
Muse

Originally Posted by jerrywayne View Post
Not to derail, but JREFF vs. BFF. I am amazed that folks at BFF always seem to want to bring up skeptics ("scoftics") in the discussion. Many do not even like skeptics posting there.

Here, believers in "woo" get almost as much space as the topics at hand. And, some skeptics don't like having "bleevers" posting here.

Some BFFers see skeptical posts as representing dark, secret agendas. Here, believers' posts are sometimes viewed suspiciously.

I hate to think we are mirror images.
You make some valid points. I think it gets a bit trying when someone "escapes" or is for whatever reason shunned from the other spectrum and then they pop over here and has a lot of trouble dealing with factual evidence and analysis ? I havent been here long but I have seen it happen atleast a dozen times. Sometimes the poster is just here to obviously cause issues.. yet there are times where they are legitimately struggling with the Cult of BF'ery that they were sucked into and began to doubt and question ? The later are of concern. The former ?

Well.. that is when this happens...

Then a mob of old ladies mug them beating them up with their handbags and felt hats with mesh inserts yelling out SPAM !.

Seriously though, It might be a service and helpful to have a Thread that is dedicated to those that really have had thoughts and issues with this BF Indoctrination and Cult . A place to safely land where they do not immediately get the full brunt of "how wrong they are etc.." and a chance to chat with others that were in their shoes at some point. Sort of a BF Believing Halfway House I suppose ?

I never really thought about it before in those terms.. How difficult it must be to be so committed to such a thing and the feeling of loss that must happen when that belief begins to erode and reality sinks in... Just me..

Last edited by AttorneyTom; 17th January 2013 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Just thinking about this issue a bit..
AttorneyTom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2013, 08:11 PM   #170
Jodie
Master Poster

I am not speaking to any one individual btw.. ? The Beaver is fine.

However, Eddie Haskell, Lumpy and that other kid... what was his name ?

Anyway, I am just fascinated by the concept and what goes on with it ?? This group is very tolerant and open minded especially compared with what apparently goes on at the other end of the spectrum. I think that should be celebrated and commended. Never really realized what happened to folks that began to question the "true believers" on that end. Quite the learning experience for me ! Interesting to hear about.

Yeti on the other hand.. there should be a place for those that were truly indoctrinated to go after the crash ? It has to be extremely emotionally draining and exhausting to begin to understand factual issues vs some of the stuff that was just taken for granted (ie. BS).

I don't think it was the development of disbelief in bigfoot that bothered me so much as the dirty shenanigans I got drawn into, still do not fully understand, yet was scapegoated for some reason. That is what was emotionally draining, but just for a little while.

I don't think that happens to everyone. I will say this, disillusionment in people's behavior added the final spark to what I had already begun to conclude after only a year of involvement, that perhaps it was all a lie. Die hards who keep believing year after year, hoax after hoax are unfathomable to me.

Besides, the mods wouldn't allow a thread like that since you are discussing forum business of another forum.

Last edited by Jodie; 17th January 2013 at 08:16 PM.
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2013, 05:41 PM   #171
AttorneyTom
Muse

Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
Besides, the mods wouldn't allow a thread like that since you are discussing forum business of another forum.
Oh.. I dont know perhaps they would ? They do now with this thread.

Just thought it would help someone make or do the transition from Cult and Group Thinking to Free Thinking ? I had a thought of just doing it myself but I have never been a member of those groups.

I have looked at the reports for my area on BFRO like the one in the Cuyahoga National "Park" which is the most urban National Park in the US surrounded by 5 million people that just follows a developed polluted sewage ribbon of a river valley from Akron to Cleveland , Ohio... and also the leading OH County of BF Sightings next to me.. which appears to be Portage Co. ... for a chuckle or two. Of course, there are coyotes and whitetail deer and convenience stores that sell zagnut bars ?

See ? I would make a bad "greeter" to those from the other groups.. sigh..

Last edited by AttorneyTom; 18th January 2013 at 05:49 PM. Reason: their vs. there.. grammer error on my part.. sorry !
Old 18th January 2013, 05:54 PM   #172
Resume
Philosopher

Oh.. I dont know perhaps they would ? They do now with this thread.
I think one of the mission statements for this forum would be the defeat of baseless credulity; seems to me that a thread dedicated to overcoming such gullibility would be right in that wheelhouse.
Old 18th January 2013, 06:31 PM   #173
AttorneyTom
Muse

I think so too ! I am just the wrong person to be that Thread's originator.

I appreciate your posts Resume. Tim would be the logical one for such an endeveour btw...
(that is an olde english mispelling btw..)

Last edited by AttorneyTom; 18th January 2013 at 06:35 PM. Reason: due to Anglo Saxon word issues...and Moose
Old 18th January 2013, 06:34 PM   #174
Jodie
Master Poster

I don't see how it couldn't devolve into disciplinary action. It is difficult to discuss that without getting on a personal level when many of the ones you are discussing are members here, even if they never post. It's a cult tactic.

Last edited by Jodie; 18th January 2013 at 06:45 PM.
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2013, 06:48 PM   #175
AttorneyTom
Muse

I don't see how it couldn't devolve into disciplinary action. I got put on a 7 day suspension for referring to Lynn Forestpeople and using a BFF/JREF member as an example of an instigator.

It is difficult to discuss that without getting on a personal level when many of the ones you are discussing are members here, even if they never post. It's a cult tactic.
I am sorry to hear that. You are a nice person.

I just thought it would be a helpful thing ? Yes, no personal issues, name calling or accusations that sort of thing.

Just a safe place to land after dealing with the other side. Some folks have problems discussing things rationally and following the Code on this Forum. That happens .
Old 18th January 2013, 07:05 PM   #176
Jodie
Master Poster

It's a day late and a dollar short, but thanks for the thought.
Old 19th January 2013, 08:02 AM   #177
Zippy Omicron
Scholar

BFF..I visited there recently

I have visited the Big Foot Forums recently (over the last 3 weeks), and I am taken aback by how much rumor-mongering is going on...and the rumors don't even have any evidence (other than other people saying it's possible, or do "thought experiments" about whether something meets non-scientific criteria as to being accurate) to back up what they are saying.

I guess one has to take a folklore researcher's viewpoint when one dives in over there....
Zippy Omicron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2013, 11:18 AM   #178
Jodie
Master Poster

It got old, no answers forth coming. You did have to suspend critical thinking and do big "what ifs" to really discuss anything even if you believed that bigfoot existed.
Old 20th January 2013, 06:52 PM   #179
AttorneyTom
Muse

I don't see how it couldn't devolve into disciplinary action. It is difficult to discuss that without getting on a personal level.
Just follow the rules. Unless you own or posess a BF I am not sure how it could get "personal" ? Oh wait.. no.. that wasnt personal. I had to do self checking thing

JUST FOLLOW THE RULES OF THE FORUM !

This Forum is lenient when it comes down to dealing with people from other places and woo. Respect their opinions and also respect them, those that are skeptical, and all is well.. and respect the forum also. No big deal.
Old 20th January 2013, 09:08 PM   #180
GT/CS
Illuminator

I don't see how it couldn't devolve into disciplinary action. It is difficult to discuss that without getting on a personal level when many of the ones you are discussing are members here, even if they never post. It's a cult tactic.
I agree. If one checks out how many bigfoot threads are moderated the odds are that a thread like that would quickly implode.
Old 21st January 2013, 07:44 AM   #181
Jodie
Master Poster

Just follow the rules. Unless you own or posess a BF I am not sure how it could get "personal" ? Oh wait.. no.. that wasnt personal. I had to do self checking thing

This Forum is lenient when it comes down to dealing with people from other places and woo. Respect their opinions and also respect them, those that are skeptical, and all is well.. and respect the forum also. No big deal.
I would like to recommend that you go back and read some of your own posts starting at about the beginning of December.....because obviously it was a big deal a few weeks ago.

I don't think you have the patience, or perspective, to see the other side of the coin in order to be able to maintain an impersonal stance IMO. I'm certainly not going to be the patsy that takes the initiative to open up a discussion that I don't plan to participate in.

If you want it, go for it, makes no difference to me at this point. If something good comes from it, that's wonderful, good on you.
Old 21st January 2013, 07:37 PM   #182
AttorneyTom
Muse

Sorry you feel that way and I am not sure why.. Would it not be helpful to assist those that were BF Fan's like yourself ? That have some doubt now about some of the most inner core issues of their beliefs ?

I do think the forum is large enough and lenient enough to accomodate people like that and the members here with their experiences would be of help to them, as well. Most of them anyway...

Assuming there are no hidden issues and agendas to deal with.. then that is an entire different thing.

The last thing I will say to you is this.. Follow the Rules of the Forum. Your last post was personal .. I did not report it. Please Stop and think before you post.

Last edited by AttorneyTom; 21st January 2013 at 07:44 PM.
Old 21st January 2013, 08:06 PM   #183
Jodie
Master Poster

That was very nice of you not to report me for what I thought was a simple observation of your posting style, it's no reflection on you personally. I simply don't think you have the patience to deal with it, I know I don't.

Some that come here are pleasant, but exasperating, while others are just spiteful because of other issues. It seems like no matter what you say you aren't doing them any favors. It's best to let them work things out for themselves speaking from hind sight.

Plus, after all of these years, the debate gets a bit redundant, they can just read the old threads if they need information on how facts get twisted to fit the hypothesis for bigfoot.
Old 21st January 2013, 08:19 PM   #184
AttorneyTom
Muse

That was very nice of you not to report me for what I thought was a simple observation of your posting style, it's no reflection on you personally. I simply don't think you have the patience to deal with it, I know I don't.

Some that come here are pleasant, but exasperating, while others are just spiteful because of other issues. It seems like no matter what you say you aren't doing them any favors. It's best to let them work things out for themselves speaking from hind sight.

Plus, after all of these years, the debate gets a bit redundant, they can just read the old threads if they need information on how facts get twisted to fit the hypothesis for bigfoot.
My " Posting style" is that of a skeptic that finds humor in people that somehow still believe in BF and the topic . I also believe that people should be civil to each other .

Iam also a careful, polite and patient person.

I mean.. I am here because I dont think there is a BF ? Why are you here ? You seem to dodge and twist and try to cause issues on this forum. Do you still believe in BF ? Were you jettisoned from the believer forums ? ? What really is it ???

Last edited by AttorneyTom; 21st January 2013 at 08:28 PM.
Old 22nd January 2013, 12:18 AM   #185
MikeG
Illuminator

........Why are you here ? You seem to dodge and twist and try to cause issues on this forum. Do you still believe in BF ? Were you jettisoned from the believer forums ? ? What really is it ???
.......The last thing I will say to you is this.. Follow the Rules of the Forum. Your last post was personal .. I did not report it. Please Stop and think before you post.
One of these quotes is surely ironic.

Mike
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2013, 08:33 AM   #186
River
Illuminator

The man behind the curtain is always a curiosity. It seems many posters on bigfoot forums would rather hide their identities so they can indulge into the fantasy. I've also noticed that most of the bigfooter posters do not like to argue their points except for within the chain of yesmen. You rarely see footers trying to pass their woo bible parroting elswhere.
Old 22nd January 2013, 11:12 AM   #187
The Shrike
Master Poster

Why are you here ?
That's about the most woo-laden and antagonistic question you can put to someone on these forums, and it never looks good for the person asking it.

You seem to dodge and twist and try to cause issues on this forum. Do you still believe in BF ? Were you jettisoned from the believer forums ? ? What really is it ???
No she (Jodie) doesn't, and so what if she did still believe in bigfoot? She'd still be welcomed here to share, discuss, and learn. That's kind of the point of the "E" in "JREF".
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2013, 12:51 PM   #188
Drewbot
Illuminator

Dude you are the King of shutting down threads. Even Bill Munns only got one shut down. Why do you care why or who or what people post about? Just worry about number one. No whut I mean? So far this is what I say about Attorney Tom's posts: "Hmmm. He is bitching about someone else again"

I know someone has followed your posts and knows that you are in the thread-sabotaging business, your cloak is not working.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2013, 01:33 PM   #189
Drewbot
Illuminator

Does anyone remember why Greg Long was banned from the BFF?
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2013, 05:24 PM   #190
Jodie
Master Poster

I don't recall a Greg Long, must have been before my time.
Old 22nd January 2013, 06:22 PM   #191
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
I remember him, was he into doing some investigating on one of the BF hoaxes ? jog my memory some and it might come back, I read almost the entire Mod Forum while I was in there.

Tim ~ I'm Back ~

Last edited by RedRatSnake; 22nd January 2013 at 06:58 PM.
Old 22nd January 2013, 07:17 PM   #192
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life

Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
That's about the most woo-laden and antagonistic question you can put to someone on these forums, and it never looks good for the person asking it.

No she (Jodie) doesn't, and so what if she did still believe in bigfoot? She'd still be welcomed here to share, discuss, and learn. That's kind of the point of the "E" in "JREF".
Shrike ~ You have always been the most honest upfront straight person I have ever shared a forum with, I am happy to have met you~

Tim
Old 22nd January 2013, 10:12 PM   #193
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Ask Brian Brown he was running the Insanitorium at that time.

BTW, Operation Persistence could be nick-named "My Parents Are Stupid Kids". A lot of the adults who believe that Bigfoot is romping around in Area X have children. A scenario develops where little kids are able to figure out that their own parents are frikkin clueless about the world.

"Dude, my Dad actually believes in Bigfoot! No, I'm not joking he really does. The guy is whacked I'm telling you."
Old 23rd January 2013, 07:06 PM   #194
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life

Ok did some checking around, was it because of his book and the PGF fall out with those loyal to the film.

Tim
Old 23rd January 2013, 08:14 PM   #195
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life

Originally Posted by rockinkt View Post
In the interest of fairness - I would like to point out that Slocie's (who some of us know better as Red Rat Snake) left the BFF as a skeptic.
He has since posted there as a skeptic and roused the ire of many who do not like the fact that people can be drawn to the BFF based on false evidence and groundless premises in the popular media; and then, finding the evidence to be false, falsified, or totally lacking in reality - denounce the whole thing as woo.
Thanks Rock ~

Tim
Old 24th January 2013, 02:56 AM   #196
jerrywayne
Muse

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Ask Brian Brown he was running the Insanitorium at that time.

BTW, Operation Persistence could be nick-named "My Parents Are Stupid Kids". A lot of the adults who believe that Bigfoot is romping around in Area X have children. A scenario develops where little kids are able to figure out that their own parents are frikkin clueless about the world.

"Dude, my Dad actually believes in Bigfoot! No, I'm not joking he really does. The guy is whacked I'm telling you."
It is beyond believing in Bigfoot. They are claiming consistent engagements with Wood Apes. So, however we may understand whatever is going on in the hills of Oklahoma, being "frikkin clueless about the world" is not a apt description. TBRC's behavior is something else, yet to be named.
jerrywayne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2013, 06:10 AM   #197
mustbeso
Thinker

It is beyond believing in Bigfoot. They are claiming consistent engagements with Wood Apes. So, however we may understand whatever is going on in the hills of Oklahoma, being "frikkin clueless about the world" is not a apt description. TBRC's behavior is something else, yet to be named.
I am in agreement with this basically but I think it best that we call it theater(of the absurd?). I think they are people playing a part with a few stooges who might actually think there are woodapes running around. The game of bigfooting, at least among the groups with websites, seems to be to become the biggest fish in a relatively small pond. With the recent activety, Daisy in a box, the Ketchum fiasco,etc. I do wonder if they won't allow all the woodape stuff to just quietly fade away. For me, that is the amazing thing about footers; think of recent evidence like the London Trackway, The Elbe Trackway, Provo bigfoot and on and on and how it all just fades into oblivion. I tried to make that point on Bigfoot Evidence when I could still stand going there by telling other readers to look at the older posts that appeared on the right side of the screen and in the archives. This, of course, fell on deaf ears and the comments then devolved into what happens there now.
mustbeso is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2013, 10:54 AM   #198
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life

Sasquatchanol fanaticism ~?

I don't know how much longer they will be able to keep this up, it seems like some are getting pretty inpatient with melba and her fiasco, after that is done I have a feeling things might turn on the TBRC somewhat if they don't produce.

Tim
Old 24th January 2013, 01:23 PM   #199
Resume
Philosopher

Originally Posted by RedRatSnake View Post
Sasquatchanol fanaticism ~?

I don't know how much longer they will be able to keep this up, it seems like some are getting pretty inpatient with melba and her fiasco, after that is done I have a feeling things might turn on the TBRC somewhat if they don't produce.

Tim
PGF, Elbe Trackway, Bigfoot in a Cooler, Daisy in a Box, Justin Smeja Bigfoot Baggery, Melba Ketchup DNA Duplicity, Blueberry Bagel Bigfoot Breakfast, Kentucky Primate Pancake Proffering . . . Whether it's AD/HD or something else, I think they'll keep it up just fine; I think there is very little many of these folks won't buy into.
Old 24th January 2013, 03:50 PM   #200
Jodie
Master Poster

I want to know what happened to the hair Bipto sent for analysis. This would be the second go at DNA testing. I wonder what they are waiting for?

Well not really, I think I already know why

JREF Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal