JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Old 1st December 2012, 12:44 PM   #1
RandFan
Mormon Atheist

Corporate Profits At All Time High:

Corporate Profits After Tax (CP)

Waiting for the trickle down to start. Any day now that money has to start making it's way down to the rest of us. That is how it works right?

I think I'll reroute my trip
I wonder if they'd think I'd flipped.
If I went to LA, via Omaha.
RandFan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2012, 12:47 PM   #2
RandFan
Mormon Atheist

Then there is the stock market.

RandFan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2012, 12:50 PM   #3
RandFan
Mormon Atheist

Corporate profits are up. Stock market is up. Is there anyone out there that does not get why the "job creators" are so damn upset at Obama?

Old 1st December 2012, 12:55 PM   #4
AlBell
Philosopher

Obamacare yet undefined, EPA out of control, "You didn't build that", etc.

What would make you believe it's a good time to hire more staff or even expand production?
AlBell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2012, 12:59 PM   #5
RandFan
Mormon Atheist

Originally Posted by AlBell View Post
First off, these are all assertions and I think thoroughly debunked. But for the purpose of this discussion I'll take the null hypothesis. Citation please? (I reject your premises as fatuous right-wing rhetoric and I find them laughable but I'll give you a chance to make your case).

Quote:
What would make you believe it's a good time to hire more staff or even expand production?
So let me see, supply side economics is so fragile just about anything can disrupt the apple cart, right? Dude there will ALWAYS be uncertainty. By your logic supply side economics cannot work because we can never remove uncertainty from the equation.

Old 1st December 2012, 01:02 PM   #6
RandFan
Mormon Atheist

BTW:

"You didn't build that", etc.
What the sam hell is this supposed to mean? Did you really so easily drink the kool-aid? That was thoroughly debunked.

Old 1st December 2012, 01:19 PM   #7
geni
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

Well if the EPA is out of control it sounds like an excelent time to get involved in the waste management industry.
geni is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2012, 01:41 PM   #8
RandFan
Mormon Atheist

Originally Posted by geni View Post
Originally Posted by AlBell
EPA out of control
Well if the EPA is out of control it sounds like an excelent time to get involved in the waste management industry.
If the EPA is "out of control" how is it that corporate profits and the stock market are up? Sounds like ad hoc rationalization to me. It also sounds like poisoning the well for debates about climate change.

Old 1st December 2012, 01:44 PM   #9
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by RandFan View Post
Corporate profits are up. Stock market is up. Is there anyone out there that does not get why the "job creators" are so damn upset at Obama?
I was going to ask the same question. Why would the people who are doing so well financially believe they would do better with someone else as Pres?

Did they tell their lies so often they truly believe them?

Are they really that greedy they just want more?

Old 1st December 2012, 01:45 PM   #10
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

So, chalk one up to "believes the lies".
Old 1st December 2012, 01:52 PM   #11
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Corporate Profits After Tax (CP)

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/1...ateprofits.png

Waiting for the trickle down to start. Any day now that money has to start making it's way down to the rest of us. That is how it works right?
Let's see... The economy is improving, unemployment is going down... What did you expect "trickle down" to look like? A fat check in your Christmas stocking, in the value of "your share of corporate profits", countersigned by The Corporations?

Or is it now that the election is over, suddenly it's safe to say the economy hasn't really improved that much, and Obama should have done more to convince corporations to Do Their Part?
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2012, 02:04 PM   #12
RandFan
Mormon Atheist

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Let's see... The economy is improving, unemployment is going down... What did you expect "trickle down" to look like? A fat check in your Christmas stocking, in the value of "your share of corporate profits", countersigned by The Corporations?
What should it look like?

Quote:
Or is it now that the election is over, suddenly it's safe to say the economy hasn't really improved that much, and Obama should have done more to convince corporations to Do Their Part?
Who is saying ANYTHING differently now than before the election? Sure as hell isn't me. What is safe to say is that there is very little correlation between increased profits of corporations and an increase in the stock market and increased wealth for the lower classes. When the rich get richer it means just that and not much more.

I'm happy for you to show me how I'm wrong. But let's be clear here, you are not going to win the day with rhetorical questions. Could you pony your belly up to the bar and make an argument backed by empirical data?

Old 1st December 2012, 02:43 PM   #13
DavidJames
Philosopher

Could you pony your belly up to the bar and make an argument backed by empirical data?
Good luck with that.

Like I said in another thread. There don't seem to be any intellectually honest Republicans/conservatives left at JREF any more.
Beaver Hateman: Is your argument that human life loses value proportionate to the number of humans available? Malcolm Kirkpatrick: That's part of the argument. Value is determined by supply and demand.
DavidJames is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2012, 03:12 PM   #14
Kilaak Kommander
Critical Thinker

Clearly all of those lazy deadbeats in the lower income brackets need to get off the sofa and form muti-billion dollar corporations. Duh.
Kilaak Kommander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2012, 03:20 PM   #15
CaptBang
Scholar

Attention, please!

If anyone actually believes in the old trickle-down theory of economics made very popular through misleading propaganda from Ronald Reagan and his handlers, step forward, please.

None? Didn't think so.

Nice charts in the thread. Gotta love charts.
CaptBang is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2012, 03:22 PM   #16
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

Could it be because they care what happens to their stock holders? Is profit wrong?

"Remember that the goal of conspiracy rhetoric is to bog down the discussion, not to make progress toward a solution" Jay Windley
DGM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2012, 03:31 PM   #17
RandFan
Mormon Atheist

Originally Posted by DGM View Post
Could it be because they care what happens to their stock holders?
I'm not sure I know what this means or its relevance. Could you explain?

Quote:
Is profit wrong?
Did I say that profit was wrong?

Old 1st December 2012, 03:40 PM   #18
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

I'm not sure I know what this means or its relevance. Could you explain?

Did I say that profit was wrong?
I would love to, if you could explain the point of this thread? Are you claiming Obamas policies have brought on these profits?

"Remember that the goal of conspiracy rhetoric is to bog down the discussion, not to make progress toward a solution" Jay Windley
DGM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2012, 04:01 PM   #19
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

What part of the trickle down are you entitled to, and why ?

Prove your computer is not a wimp ! Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2012, 04:11 PM   #20
RandFan
Mormon Atheist

I would love to, if you could explain the point of this thread? Are you claiming Obamas policies have brought on these profits?
I'm claiming that there is little or no correlation between increased wealth at the top of the economic ladder with increased wealth at the bottom of the economic ladder. My point is that supply side economics is, as far as I can tell, without any evidence in fact.

Old 1st December 2012, 04:13 PM   #21
RandFan
Mormon Atheist

Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
What part of the trickle down are you entitled to, and why ?
I'm not sure I understand (unless you are being tongue-in-cheek then I get it). If not then I don't think I'm entitled to anything. I've just never seen any evidence think it works.

Old 1st December 2012, 04:19 PM   #22
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

I'm claiming that there is little or no correlation between increased wealth at the top of the economic ladder with increased wealth at the bottom of the economic ladder. My point is that supply side economics is, as far as I can tell, without any evidence in fact.
So what? What would this have to do with the current administration? Why did you bring it up?

Old 1st December 2012, 04:19 PM   #23
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic

Rand, just curious: don't you think this thread belongs in the ecnomics sub forum?

As to profits being up, those companies the did not get felled by the recession in the past few years seem to have found novel ways to cut costs or pick up assets at fire sale prices. That may contribute to some of the profit increases.

Or it may not be that simple, when you look at the numbers you posted at the macro / aggregate level, which you have done.

Did your sources break it down by sector and industry?
"Jesus wept, but did He laugh?"--F.H. Buckley____"There is one thing that was too great for God to show us when He walked upon our earth ... His mirth." --Chesterton__"If the barbarian in us is excised, so is our humanity."--D'rok__ "I only use my gun whenever kindness fails."-- Robert Earl Keen__"Sturgeon spares none.". -- The Marquis
Darth Rotor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2012, 04:28 PM   #24
RandFan
Mormon Atheist

So what?
"So"? So, I wanted to point out the facts and discuss them. Is that against my membership agreement?

Quote:
What would this have to do with the current administration?
Absolutely nothing. Why do you ask?

Quote:
Why did you bring it up?
Let me make this simple for you. I bring up things I wish to discuss (I wish to discuss this). If you are not interested then please to ignore this thread. Why does this thread interest you or, why does it bother you?

Last edited by RandFan; 1st December 2012 at 04:29 PM.
Old 1st December 2012, 04:35 PM   #25
RandFan
Mormon Atheist

Originally Posted by Darth Rotor View Post
Rand, just curious: don't you think this thread belongs in the ecnomics sub forum?
Probably.

Quote:
As to profits being up, those companies the did not get felled by the recession in the past few years seem to have found novel ways to cut costs or pick up assets at fire sale prices. That may contribute to some of the profit increases.

Or it may not be that simple, when you look at the numbers you posted at the macro / aggregate level, which you have done.

Did your sources break it down by sector and industry?
Could you point me to the part of the hypothesis of supply side economics that stipulates that it only works for some industries?

Again, let me keep this simple, I don't think there is any evidence of a correlation between increased wealth at the top of the economic ladder with increased wealth at the bottom. Sure the hypothesis (supply side economics) could be viable and I could be ignoring some key variable. I honestly don't know. I know it's one more example of there being no correlation.

Old 1st December 2012, 04:36 PM   #26
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

I'm not sure I understand (unless you are being tongue-in-cheek then I get it). If not then I don't think I'm entitled to anything. I've just never seen any evidence think it works.
You said you were waiting for the trickle down to start.

Why are you waiting for that to happen ?

By the way, did your sources indicate whether profit margins were up ?

Last edited by Skeptical Greg; 1st December 2012 at 04:37 PM.
Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2012, 04:38 PM   #27
RandFan
Mormon Atheist

What would this have to do with the current administration?
The thread isn't about Obama. I added this post as an afterthought. I think the outrage directed at Obama is absurd given the facts.

Old 1st December 2012, 04:43 PM   #28
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

"So"? So, I wanted to point out the facts and discuss them. Is that against my membership agreement?
It doesn't, I wonder why you bring it up.

Let me make this simple for you. I bring up things I wish to discuss (I wish to discuss this). If you are not interested then please to ignore this thread. Why does this thread interest you or, why does it bother you?
I wonder why you made this comment if it has nothing to do with the current administration:

Quote:
Were you venting or just hoping for fan support?

Old 1st December 2012, 04:46 PM   #29
RandFan
Mormon Atheist

You said you were waiting for the trickle down to start.

Why are you waiting for that to happen ?
It's called a rhetorical device. You can find out more about them at wiki.

Quote:
By the way, did your sources indicate whether profit margins were up ?
I honestly don't know. Is it claimed by the proponents of supply side economics that it only works when profit margins are high? Do you have some reason to believe that profit margins are down given the austerity of the past 5-6 years of downsizing and reducing corporate debt? Do you have some data showing that supply side economics is correlated with higher revenue at the bottom rung of the economic ladder when profit margins are high?

Old 1st December 2012, 04:49 PM   #30
RandFan
Mormon Atheist

I wonder why you bring it up.
And I explained it to you.

Quote:
Were you venting or just hoping for fan support?
See post #27

So, I've answered your questions and you've not at all contributed. If you continue in this vain I will report you as being OT. Fair enough?

Last edited by RandFan; 1st December 2012 at 04:51 PM.
Old 1st December 2012, 04:50 PM   #31
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

The thread isn't about Obama. I added this post as an afterthought. I think the outrage directed at Obama is absurd given the facts.
What facts would that be? Are you telling me Obamas policy are pro corporate profits?

Old 1st December 2012, 04:52 PM   #32
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Quote:
Do you have some data showing that supply side economics is correlated with higher revenue at the bottom rung of the economic ladder when profit margins are high?

I'm not making any claims about the benefits of supply side economics.. You'll have to wait till someone shows up, who is.

I'm also not the one throwing out data and suggesting it means something.

Do you understand the significance of profit margins in relation to total profits?

Old 1st December 2012, 04:53 PM   #33
RandFan
Mormon Atheist

What facts would that be?
  • Corporate profits are up.
  • The stock market is up.
Quote:
Are you telling me Obamas policy are pro corporate profits?
I'm telling you that corporate profits are up in-spite of or because of Obama.

Old 1st December 2012, 04:57 PM   #34
RandFan
Mormon Atheist

Do you understand the significance of profit margins in relation to total profits?
I wrote and maintained accounting software for over 40 years and I still have a few clients. I was also an auditor for 7-8 years. I know how to calculate profit margins and I understand the relationship of profit margins to totals profits.
  • I've answered your questions.
  • You have ignored mine.
I won't answer anymore of your questions if you are going to bear me the contempt of simply ignoring that which you find uncomfortable. Fair enough?

Old 1st December 2012, 04:59 PM   #35
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

• Corporate profits are up.
  • The stock market is up.
I'm telling you that corporate profits are up in-spite of or because of Obama.
So you really have no point to discuss. You're just stating fact.

What do you want to talk about?

Old 1st December 2012, 04:59 PM   #36
RandFan
Mormon Atheist

Let's try this again.

1. Is it claimed by the proponents of supply side economics that it only works when profit margins are high?
  2. Do you have some reason to believe that profit margins are down given the austerity of the past 5-6 years of downsizing and reducing corporate debt?
  3. Do you have some data showing that supply side economics is correlated with higher revenue at the bottom rung of the economic ladder when profit margins are high?
Here's hoping for mutual respect in our discussion.

Old 1st December 2012, 04:59 PM   #37
StuartSymington
New Blood

Personal and Corporate Taxes need to be reset

Personal and corporate tax rates need to be reset to what they were under
President Eisenhower, the last fiscal conservative we had in the USA.
The $32 Trillion that has been hidden in illegal offshore accounts since
1971 (the end of the gold standard) needs to be repatriated to the
USA.

What they are currently arguing about on Capitol Hill is small change.

It may take a revolution to fix what is wrong in the USA today.

Last edited by StuartSymington; 1st December 2012 at 05:02 PM.
StuartSymington is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2012, 05:01 PM   #38
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

Originally Posted by StuartSymington View Post

Personal and corporate tax rates need to be rest to what they were under
President Eisenhower. The last Fiscal conservative we had in the USA.
The $32 Trillion that has been hidden in illegal offshore accounts since
1971 (the end of the gold standard) needs to be repatriated to the
USA.

What they are currently arguing about on Capitol Hill is small change.

It may take a revolution to fix what is wrong in the USA today.
Welcome and wrong thread (sub-forum).

Old 1st December 2012, 05:02 PM   #39
Jorghnassen
Illuminator

More fuel for this futile discussion.
Old 1st December 2012, 05:04 PM   #40
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

Here's hoping for mutual respect in our discussion.
Why are you posting this in current events? I'm asking for it to be moved.

JREF Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance