JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Tags Connecticut incidents , gun issues , Sandy Hook , school incidents , school shootings , shooting incidents

Old 14th December 2012, 11:57 AM   #121
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
You know, I'd have thought that by now people on this forum were accustomed enough to your style of black irony to understand this post, but apparently not.

Rolfe.
The problem is, the gun nuts here use the exact same arguments with sincerity.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 11:59 AM   #122
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Originally Posted by JoeTheJuggler View Post
Why?
Two words: Reality TV.
Old 14th December 2012, 11:59 AM   #123
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Sabretooth View Post
I am pro-gun as well. However, actions such as this...where a man walks into a KIDS school and starts firing away...it isn't about the guns.

This guy wanted to go out in a demon-blaze and you'd be hard pressed to make me believe he wouldn't have found another weapon(s) to make sure it happened.
I have a hard time believing this guy would've killed people if he didn't have access to guns.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 11:59 AM   #124
Delscottio
Muse

BBC reporting Lanza's younger brother is being held in custody.
Delscottio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 11:59 AM   #125
Baylor
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Central Scrutinizer View Post
I did too. Ryan Lanza. I guess it's too late to send a friend request.

He's like the 3rd one down if you search that name. Says his hometown is Newtown CT.
Not any more. Many dopplegangers or whatever you call them already sprung up. The one reply post that's accessible:

Jonathan Russell "Look like you're about to buy an Ale, but then paint a picture of it... very mixed... all good, though. Kinda like if Solid Snake was wearing a Neo trenchcoat. This can only turn out awesome."
His pic has now been shared 14,133 times.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 12:00 PM   #126
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
The problem is, the gun nuts here use the exact same arguments with sincerity.

Yes. That's why he does it. It's always perfectly clear if you read for comprehension. (And I speak as one who was utterly suckered by a very similar post of his in one of the Lockerbie threads and then had to come back and apologise for my rant.)

Rolfe.
Old 14th December 2012, 12:03 PM   #127
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Some crazy guy went on a shooting spree local to my area at a mall 2 days ago. Only 3 people were shot, 2 died. But guns aren't the problem, guns are innocent, like bunnies.
Old 14th December 2012, 12:06 PM   #128
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

Originally Posted by Quad4_72 View Post
I just don't know the answer to this type of tragedy. Do you ban guns completely, and punish the 50 million or so responsible gun owners out there because of the horrific actions of a few people? Do you make guns much harder to obtain because .01% of the gun population does the wrong thing? I don't think any of those things is the right answer, but I am not sure what is.

Well, that's what we did after Dunblane. Even though guns were already much more difficult to obtain here at that time than they are in the USA.

It's hard to know for sure how much effect that has had, given the rarity of this sort of occurrence, but it's been over 16 years and it hasn't happened again - not in a school, to children.

Rolfe.
Old 14th December 2012, 12:06 PM   #129
JoeTheJuggler
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
It puzzles me why anyone would read story after story on this or watch continuous updates on the news. A bunch of kids were slaughtered. Some deranged ******* did it. Why invite that kind of darkness into your heart?
I follow national news headlines pretty constantly.

I don't think staying informed about our country is the same thing as inviting darkness into my heart.

Is it noble to avoid bad news?
Old 14th December 2012, 12:08 PM   #130
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Well, that's what we did after Dunblane. Even though guns were already much more difficult to obtain here at that time than they are in the USA.

It's hard to know for sure how much effect that has had, given the rarity of this sort of occurrence, but it's been over 16 years and it hasn't happened again - not in a school, to children.

Rolfe.
You don't have guys going on stabbing sprees in crowded areas?
Old 14th December 2012, 12:09 PM   #131
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

I thought the mom was found dead at home?
They just said "a parent". We may assume from the other information that one was his father.

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 12:11 PM   #132
Mister Earl
Illuminator

I did too. Ryan Lanza. I guess it's too late to send a friend request.

He's like the 3rd one down if you search that name. Says his hometown is Newtown CT.
I tried to click the "retroactively smite" button and discovered there still isn't one, despite my repeated troubletickets to the facebook tech support team.
Mister Earl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 12:12 PM   #133
Rat
Not bored. Never bored.

Rolfe.
Dunblane itself was ten years or so after Michael Ryan. It was after Ryan that most automatics were banned.
Rat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 12:13 PM   #134
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

I have a hard time believing this guy would've killed people if he didn't have access to guns.
They will always find a way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath_School_disaster

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 12:15 PM   #135
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

You don't have guys going on stabbing sprees in crowded areas?
The one that just happened in an elementary school in China is quite the coincidence...not really, since it seems to be a trend there of late.

http://zeenews.india.com/news/world/...ed_816680.html

LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 12:16 PM   #136
Cain
Straussian

Originally Posted by JoeTheJuggler View Post
I follow national news headlines pretty constantly.

I don't think staying informed about our country is the same thing as inviting darkness into my heart.

Is it noble to avoid bad news?
I mean obsessing over details, especially when these early reports are invariably inaccurate. It's not making anyone more informed about anything than listening to my "friend" Amy drone on about how "this one Starbucks" messes up her order. These follow a familiar pattern: everyone wants to see a picture of the killer, the face of evil. They want to know why he did it. Then biographies of the victims pour in "Aidan, 5, though his mom says he'd insist he was "five and a half," loved to run and wanted to one day become a police officer." Then Obama, the griever-in-chief, will come in, meet with the families privately, and give a speech at the school gym. A year later we'll see retrospectives about how the community is coping and it will all be very public.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 12:17 PM   #137
scarlettinlondon
Critical Thinker

I want to say this.

It is my view that gun ownership for civilians is AT LEAST partially responsible for this tragedy.

Any country that allows gun ownership for civilians is being wilfully blind to their part of the blame

English people feel no less free for not being allowed to carry/own guns

We don't have the freedom to carry guns

We don't have the freedom to fear this kind of tragedy

We don't have to train our children in schools what to do if there is a gunman in the building.

Ban guns. You won't regret it
scarlettinlondon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 12:17 PM   #138
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
The one that just happened in an elementary school in China is quite the coincidence...not really, since it seems to be a trend there of late.

Wow. How many died?
Old 14th December 2012, 12:19 PM   #139
Delscottio
Muse

"hurts 22 kids" is better than "kills 22 kids" imo.

Anyway I don't think the issue of gun control is the only thing, a number of issues are mixed up in there with no easy answer.
Delscottio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 12:20 PM   #140
scarlettinlondon
Critical Thinker

Wow. How many died?

none

which is the difference between a knife wielding maniac and a gun wielding maniac
scarlettinlondon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 12:20 PM   #141
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Wow. How many died?
I wasn't going to go there, but since you did...

Knives are already illegal in schools...China has recently cracked down on security in schools.

Old 14th December 2012, 12:20 PM   #142
AdMan
Philosopher

In his emotional address, President Obama implied that something will need to be done on gun control, "regardless of the politics."

Last edited by AdMan; 14th December 2012 at 12:22 PM.
AdMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 12:22 PM   #143
deadrose
Graduate Poster

Now they're reporting his girlfriend and another person are missing.
deadrose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 12:23 PM   #144
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-202_162-6650660.html

5 were killed in this earlier stabbing spree in China.

Quote:
In the space of two months, the country saw five major assaults against schoolchildren, leaving 17 dead and more than 50 wounded.

Old 14th December 2012, 12:24 PM   #145
erlando
Graduate Poster

"We are going to have to come together and take meaningful action to stop more incidents like these, regardless of the politics."

Please do. Please.
Old 14th December 2012, 12:25 PM   #146
scarlettinlondon
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Delscottio View Post

Anyway I don't think the issue of gun control is the only thing, a number of issues are mixed up in there with no easy answer.
It's a bloody good place to start
Old 14th December 2012, 12:25 PM   #147
Polaris
Philosopher

On one of the Dawkins posts' comments on this subject, someone asked a pertinent question:

(Paraphrasing) How do mentally ill people still have legal access to firearms? Wouldn't it make sense to have some kind of alarm bell that went off when someone who is on doctor-prescribed mood- or brain chemistry-altering medication was attempting to purchase a weapon?
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 12:26 PM   #148
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I'd say the central problem isn't that guns are available but that help for mental illness isn't. Not easily, anyway, and not cheaply. "Crazy person slaughters fifty with axe!" headline says to me "fix the crazies" not "destroy the axes".
Old 14th December 2012, 12:26 PM   #149
Cain
Straussian

Which explains why we've had so many more bombings than shootings. This stuff is just so unbelievably dumb. Guns facilitate murder. If I recall correctly, the Columbine kids had pipe bombs... which killed no one. James Holmes' bomb killed approximately zero point zero people. Bombs are lot more difficult than guns. I'm reasonably confident that armed with a gun, I could kill or injure at least one person. Trying to make a bomb, I'd probably kill or injure myself. And then I'd have to move it, plant it, time it, and hope everything goes according to plan.

People are dumb. Especially criminals. It's impossible to stop violence, but we can create obstacles. In the case of bombs, we don't allow people to sell them on the open market. You can't go to the bomb store, and buy a competently made explosive disguised as a jewelry box.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 12:27 PM   #150
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by scarlettinlondon View Post
Ban guns. You won't regret it
"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military." - William Burroughs
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 12:27 PM   #151
Biscuit
Philosopher

Originally Posted by GeeMack View Post
Really? You'd ask that and claim to be a gun owner? Pardon me while I compose myself...

Now how about you take it to a gun control thread.
I see you have nothing.
Old 14th December 2012, 12:27 PM   #152
remirol
Senior Wrangler

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I'd say the central problem isn't that guns are available but that help for mental illness isn't. Not easily, anyway, and not cheaply. "Crazy person slaughters fifty with axe!" headline says to me "fix the crazies" not "destroy the axes".
Lizzie Borden thanks you.
remirol is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 12:27 PM   #153
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

The thing I'm having a hard time with are all the requests for prayers. They're literally plastered all over my facebook wall. I want so badly to just grab these people and remind them that IF there was a God, and IF he was all-powerful, this : stain would have been plastered on a 5th of Jack Daniels and he would have driven himself into a tree on the way to his shooting spree.

FFS. AAAARRGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!

I can't go there though. Their grief is real and their need to believe is too great. So I sit here and stew silently, waiting for 5PM so I can grab my own taste of Jack when i go home.

-Henry David Thoreau
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 12:28 PM   #154
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
This ^^.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 12:28 PM   #155
Ben Adams
Banned

If I had a dime for every person in America that got pissed enough at someone over the last month to want to kill them, I would be a rich man.

And a homeless one for every person that actually did it.

You people think so much of yourself and the sanctity of the human experience.

Oh 25 people oh no it's a tragedy lets take everybody guns THAT will fix it!

Too bad you cant fix the 10,000,000 people in Africa who are dead from aids because the pope doesn't like condoms....

Get a grip on yourselves, Jesus Christ.........
It aint the end of the world YET..............

You people should be PROUD that so many people own guns in this country and we STILL only have THIS FEW of incidents like this.
Ben Adams is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 12:28 PM   #156
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by AdMan View Post
In his emotional address, President Obama implied that something will need to be done on gun control, "regardless of the politics."
A handgun permit is already required to purchase any handgun in CT, and NJ has some of the strictest gun control laws in the country.

Old 14th December 2012, 12:30 PM   #157
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Which explains why we've had so many more bombings than shootings. This stuff is just so unbelievably dumb. Guns facilitate murder. If I recall correctly, the Columbine kids had pipe bombs... which killed no one. James Holmes' bomb killed approximately zero point zero people. Bombs are lot more difficult than guns. I'm reasonably confident that armed with a gun, I could kill or injure at least one person. Trying to make a bomb, I'd probably kill or injure myself. And then I'd have to move it, plant it, time it, and hope everything goes according to plan.

People are dumb. Especially criminals. It's impossible to stop violence, but we can create obstacles. In the case of bombs, we don't allow people to sell them on the open market. You can't go to the bomb store, and buy a competently made explosive disguised as a jewelry box.
We can get guns. If we couldn't get guns...

We can buy blackpowder by the pound... among other items...

Last edited by LTC8K6; 14th December 2012 at 12:31 PM.
Old 14th December 2012, 12:31 PM   #158
Biscuit
Philosopher

Or if as a society we treated guns as more of a responsibility and less of right. If we could just admit that guns do kill people.
Old 14th December 2012, 12:31 PM   #159
Delscottio
Muse

Originally Posted by scarlettinlondon View Post
It's a bloody good place to start
Too far gone with the number of guns out there.

I should had I am from the UK and am more than happy with our approach, but I am not sure if any restriction could be effectively policed in the US.
Old 14th December 2012, 12:31 PM   #160
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Quote:
You people should be PROUD that so many people own guns in this country and we STILL only have THIS FEW of incidents like this.
Interesting use of the language. Are you unfamiliar with what "few" means?

-Henry David Thoreau
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

JREF Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events