JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
Click Here To Donate

Notices


Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Tags Connecticut incidents , gun issues , Sandy Hook , school incidents , school shootings , shooting incidents

Reply
Old 14th December 2012, 03:02 PM   #281
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing
 
thaiboxerken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 23,417
I have to wonder why republicans want to make it easier to get a gun than it is to vote.
__________________
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 03:04 PM   #282
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing
 
LTC8K6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Directly under a deadly chemtrail
Posts: 15,535
Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
I have to wonder why republicans want to make it easier to get a gun than it is to vote.
A background check to vote. Now you're talkin'...
__________________
What a fool believes, no wise man has the power to reason away. What seems to be, is always better than nothing.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 03:04 PM   #283
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing
 
thaiboxerken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 23,417
Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
But I don't see or agree with that, and I am very much civilized, thank you.

Removing my guns from me would require passing a law. That would take my guns away from me. Guns that have never shot at anything other than tin cans and paper and other typical recreational targets. Guns that have done nothing but provide fun and entertainment to me and my friends and family.
it's about keeping your toy?
__________________
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 03:05 PM   #284
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing
 
Bikewer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: St. Louis, Mo.
Posts: 10,536
I've weighed in on this question several times...
There are no easy answers.
In this case, (so far as the latest reports are saying), this is a 20 year old fellow who is in some way connected to the school principal. (Son? Not told yet)
As well, we can consider that he is insane.
At 20, in most states, he is not able to legally obtain a handgun. Where did he get them? Steal them from his home? We are not told yet, but with younger individuals that's often the case, they take advantage of unsecured weapons at home or at a friend's.
Has the individual displayed warning signs of potential violence? We don't know yet. Is he under the care of a psychiatrist?

Many of the people who decide to "go out" in the midst of a spree killing or rage killing or whatever you call it display little or no problems before hand. They often already have weapons, obtained legally and normally while they were still sane.
Something goes bad. Depression, psychopathy... Whatever. The ideation of going out in a blaze of glory and taking a bunch of people with you is there... It's a cultural meme as I've talked about before.
Charles Whitman, the guy at the Lubey's, the "going postal" shootings, Virginia tech... Those get the big headlines and the CNN coverage that just further ingrains the idea into society, and it resonates with a certain type of disturbed individual.
We've had several cases locally of homicide/suicide where the disturbed person kills the entire family and then themselves.
Dave Alvin does an old folk song about a guy who did the same back in the 1800s. There is something in this sort of ideation....

How to prevent or stop or control it? You've got me. If you could make all firearms vanish somehow, it might lessen the incidence, but there are other ways...People are inventive.
Gun control? What would you do differently? If a person buys firearms legally and then some years later becomes homicidal.... If a person is having homicidal ideation it's often secret....Unless the fellow has been committed to a mental-health hospital legally there will be no record of this, and patient confidentiality will often prevent a physician from coming forward.
All you have to do is sign... "No, I am not under the care of a psychiatrist".

Unfortunately, we don't often get to study these people. They normally suicide at the scene. When they don't, it's pretty obvious that they are insane. They may be tried legally in many cases, as was the fellow in Arizona, but there's no doubt he was a violent paranoid schizophrenic.
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 03:05 PM   #285
Ranb
Philosopher
 
Ranb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: WA USA
Posts: 5,660
Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
I have a hard time believing this guy would've killed people if he didn't have access to guns.
You know that people have been killing each other long before guns were available and kill often without guns. What intimate knowledge do you have about this guy that leads you to believe he would have not killed if he didn't have access to guns? Have you actually met him?

Ranb
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 03:05 PM   #286
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing
 
thaiboxerken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 23,417
Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
A background check to vote. Now you're talkin'...
background check is not required to buy a gun in the USA
__________________
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 03:07 PM   #287
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty
 
NoahFence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Patriot Nation
Posts: 12,162
Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
But I don't see or agree with that, and I am very much civilized, thank you.

Removing my guns from me would require passing a law. That would take my guns away from me. Guns that have never shot at anything other than tin cans and paper and other typical recreational targets. Guns that have done nothing but provide fun and entertainment to me and my friends and family.
I think there should be a middle ground. Nobody rational is talking about going into every house and taking owners' guns away. But something needs to be done. SOMETHING.
__________________
Our truest life is when we are in our dreams awake.

-Henry David Thoreau
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 03:07 PM   #288
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing
 
thaiboxerken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 23,417
Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
You know that people have been killing each other long before guns were available and kill often without guns. What intimate knowledge do you have about this guy that leads you to believe he would have not killed if he didn't have access to guns? Have you actually met him?

Ranb
I have as much to go on as the opposing argument. Also, difficulty of task discourages many that would do the task if it were easier.
__________________
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 03:09 PM   #289
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning
 
a_unique_person's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Waiting for the pod bay door to open
Posts: 35,363
Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
But I don't see or agree with that, and I am very much civilized, thank you.

Removing my guns from me would require passing a law. That would take my guns away from me. Guns that have never shot at anything other than tin cans and paper and other typical recreational targets. Guns that have done nothing but provide fun and entertainment to me and my friends and family.
That's right. The law would not interested in your amenity, but the safety of everyone.
__________________
Continually pushing the boundaries of mediocrity.
Everything is possible, but not everything is probable.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 03:09 PM   #290
Quad4_72
AI-EE-YAH!
 
Quad4_72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 6,182
Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Why should I have to?

I can't sit and try to hit tin cans at 100 yards with my Marlin model 60 and CCI Stingers on a Saturday afternoon because a mentally ill person went off and shot up a school?

It doesn't make sense.
We should make heroin and meth illegal too. That will prevent all of the senseless overdoses and deaths those things cause.
__________________
Looks like the one on top has a magazine, thus needs less reloading. Also, the muzzle shroud makes it less likely for a spree killer to burn his hands. The pistol grip makes it more comfortable for the spree killer to shoot. thaiboxerken
Quad4_72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 03:10 PM   #291
lane99
Muse
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: in MO
Posts: 651
Just the price of doing business?

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
But I don't see or agree with that, and I am very much civilized, thank you.

Removing my guns from me would require passing a law...Guns that have done nothing but provide fun and entertainment to me and my friends and family.
If, hypothetically, it could be conclusively established that there would be less mass killings of children, and fewer murders and suicides overall in the U.S. if all handguns were removed from society, would you voluntarily give up your guns and be willing to find a new hobby.

Or would that void be too difficult for you to fill? I'm partial to golf, myself.
.
.
.
__________________
Qte: I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me.


Twitter: @Perugiamurderfi
lane99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 03:10 PM   #292
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing
 
LTC8K6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Directly under a deadly chemtrail
Posts: 15,535
Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
it's about keeping your toy?
Is there some reason for the attempts to get a rise out of me?

Guns are not toys.

But that's not the point, is it?

I went through background checks to buy my guns. I got the handgun permits to buy the handguns. I don't have anything other than a single speeding ticket on my record.

I have done what was legally required and I legally own my firearms.

I have two permits now to buy two more handguns.

I went to the police and gave them my info, and waited several days, as required.

Why can't I shoot my guns at targets on the weekend?

Is it because some nut went off, or what?

Is it because you think I will eventually?
__________________
What a fool believes, no wise man has the power to reason away. What seems to be, is always better than nothing.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 03:10 PM   #293
anglolawyer
Philosopher
 
anglolawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: surrey, england
Posts: 8,197
Here in the UK there have been several of these incidents now and guns are not freely available here. I am not sure of the position in Norway but they just had Breivik rub out 70+.

A question that arises is what has happened to or in these societies that produces these extreme events? Maybe I'm wrong but weren't they unknown before Colombine or thereabouts?
anglolawyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 03:11 PM   #294
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing
 
thaiboxerken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 23,417
Originally Posted by Quad4_72 View Post
We should make heroin and meth illegal too. That will prevent all of the senseless overdoses and deaths those things cause.
We should legalize it. If everyone had a pipe no one would overdose and go nuts.
__________________
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 03:11 PM   #295
Agatha
Winking at the Moon
 
Agatha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 5,601
Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
What's the gun crime rate in the UK?
You were quoting Ben Adams, who lives in the USA; I don't know if you were aware of that.

A little investigoogle finds a BBC page which states
Originally Posted by BBC
In 2010-11, England and Wales witnessed 388 firearm offences in which there was a fatal or serious injury, 13% lower than the previous 12 months. In Scotland during the same period, there were two fatal and 109 non-fatal injuries during the same period, a decade-long low.
These numbers include injuries, not just deaths. The UK has roughly a fifth of the population of the USA, so an equivalent number in the USA based on that would be 2,495 - that's deaths and serious injuries.

Again according to the BBC, in 2009, which is the latest year for which figures are available, there were 31,347 firearms deaths in the USA. That's just deaths, and is over 12 times higher than the rate per capita in the UK which includes injuries. If we excluded injuries from the UK rate, or added injuries into the USA rate, the USA rate per capita would be even higher. I hope that answers your query, though I recognise that the figures I have found so far aren't comparable because the UK rate includes serious injury and the USA rate only includes deaths.
__________________
People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... timey wimey... stuff.
Agatha is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 03:12 PM   #296
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning
 
a_unique_person's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Waiting for the pod bay door to open
Posts: 35,363
Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
You know that people have been killing each other long before guns were available and kill often without guns. What intimate knowledge do you have about this guy that leads you to believe he would have not killed if he didn't have access to guns? Have you actually met him?

Ranb
The gun is designed primarily to be cheap, efficient, convenient and reliable as a tool for killing people. You can also use it for recreation.
__________________
Continually pushing the boundaries of mediocrity.
Everything is possible, but not everything is probable.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 03:12 PM   #297
Dr.Sid
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 455
It's a tragedy. I don't think any regulation can prevent this. But maybe it can make it harder .. less probable .. just a bit.
Armed teachers ? Not sure about that .. but metal detector and armed guard at the doors ? You bet ..
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 03:12 PM   #298
JihadJane
Penultimate Satisfaction
 
JihadJane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 47,123
Originally Posted by Quad4_72 View Post
We should make heroin and meth illegal too. That will prevent all of the senseless overdoses and deaths those things cause.

Legalizing drugs reduces overdoses and drug-related deaths.


Or was your post ironic?
JihadJane is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 03:12 PM   #299
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing
 
LTC8K6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Directly under a deadly chemtrail
Posts: 15,535
Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
That's right. The law would not interested in your amenity, but the safety of everyone.
Where is your evidence that I or my guns have ever been a danger to anyone?
__________________
What a fool believes, no wise man has the power to reason away. What seems to be, is always better than nothing.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 03:13 PM   #300
scarlettinlondon
Critical Thinker
 
scarlettinlondon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 398
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post

It should be obvious - and it is obvious to a number of posters here and in the (gag, puke) blogosphere - that the common factor in the mass shootings is that the shooters are mentally ill, to say the least. That to me seems like the best route for the discussion to take: how to keep weapons out of the hands of the insane, and beyond that how to treat the insane in the first place (and reduce the stigma, if not eliminate it).
The most obvious common factor in mass shootings is the gun.
scarlettinlondon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 03:14 PM   #301
Dr.Sid
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 455
Originally Posted by anglolawyer View Post
Here in the UK there have been several of these incidents now and guns are not freely available here. I am not sure of the position in Norway but they just had Breivik rub out 70+.

A question that arises is what has happened to or in these societies that produces these extreme events? Maybe I'm wrong but weren't they unknown before Colombine or thereabouts?
Norway requires license. Breivik had all his weapons legal and licensed, and semi-auto only. You don't really need full auto for people who don't shoot back.
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 03:14 PM   #302
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing
 
LTC8K6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Directly under a deadly chemtrail
Posts: 15,535
Originally Posted by anglolawyer View Post
Here in the UK there have been several of these incidents now and guns are not freely available here. I am not sure of the position in Norway but they just had Breivik rub out 70+.

A question that arises is what has happened to or in these societies that produces these extreme events? Maybe I'm wrong but weren't they unknown before Colombine or thereabouts?
I think murder sprees have been around forever. There were certainly plenty of them prior to Columbine.
__________________
What a fool believes, no wise man has the power to reason away. What seems to be, is always better than nothing.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 03:17 PM   #303
StankApe
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,643
anyone who thinks outlawing guns would stop stuff like this is delusional and not very bright.

I want to kill people at school, I goto local "guy" and buy illegal gun and ammo. Problem solved....

why is it people don't get this?

Not to mention that the Mexican Cartels would be very happy to get rich shipping illegal guns into the country.


waits for the overly emotional whining by the turtle neck clad weenies
StankApe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 03:17 PM   #304
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing
 
LTC8K6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Directly under a deadly chemtrail
Posts: 15,535
Originally Posted by scarlettinlondon View Post
The most obvious common factor in mass shootings is the gun.
There are plenty of mass killers who didn't use guns, I think.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ers_by_country

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._United_States
__________________
What a fool believes, no wise man has the power to reason away. What seems to be, is always better than nothing.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 03:17 PM   #305
Hercules Rockefeller
Woof!
 
Hercules Rockefeller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ponylandistan
Posts: 2,010
I don't think gun control is the issue here. There's some kind of sick trend with these mass shootings.

Forensic Psychiatrist Dr Park Dietz:

Quote:
He takes an equally severe attitude to news shows. Twice, he appeared on CNN in the middle of a sensational murder case and warned the network that if it didn't tone down their coverage it would lead to further crimes. On another occasion, he told a production team from 20/20, a magazine show on ABC, that he would not participate in a programme reconstructing a workplace shooting because he feared their approach would encourage copycats. The programme went out on a Friday; by the following Tuesday there had been two fresh mass murders in other parts of the United States.

"Here's my hypothesis," he said. "Saturation-level news coverage of mass murder causes, on average, one more mass murder in the next two weeks." The reason, he says, has something to do with the USA's size. In a country so large the likelihood of one or two people snapping becomes quite high.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/pe...ds-412116.html
__________________
Quantum physics means that anything can happen at anytime and for no reason. Also, eat plenty of oatmeal, and animals never had a war! - Deepak Chopra
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 03:18 PM   #306
scarlettinlondon
Critical Thinker
 
scarlettinlondon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 398
Originally Posted by Agatha View Post
You were quoting Ben Adams, who lives in the USA; I don't know if you were aware of that.

A little investigoogle finds a BBC page which states These numbers include injuries, not just deaths. The UK has roughly a fifth of the population of the USA, so an equivalent number in the USA based on that would be 2,495 - that's deaths and serious injuries.

Again according to the BBC, in 2009, which is the latest year for which figures are available, there were 31,347 firearms deaths in the USA. That's just deaths, and is over 12 times higher than the rate per capita in the UK which includes injuries. If we excluded injuries from the UK rate, or added injuries into the USA rate, the USA rate per capita would be even higher. I hope that answers your query, though I recognise that the figures I have found so far aren't comparable because the UK rate includes serious injury and the USA rate only includes deaths.
Thank you for that.

Very informative. I'm sure that everyone here can both read it and understand it. They still won't give up their guns though, it's a shame.
scarlettinlondon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 03:19 PM   #307
Dr.Sid
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 455
Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
I think murder sprees have been around forever. There were certainly plenty of them prior to Columbine.
This one was mentioned at local newspaper and caught my attention ..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath_School_bombings .. May 18, 1927
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 03:19 PM   #308
Ranb
Philosopher
 
Ranb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: WA USA
Posts: 5,660
Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
I have to wonder why republicans want to make it easier to get a gun than it is to vote.
I think you have republicans on the brain. In WA State it is the Democrats that are leading the way in easing unnecessary gun restrictions.

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
background check is not required to buy a gun in the USA
For the most interesting and least abused guns (imo) there are.

Ranb

Last edited by Ranb; 14th December 2012 at 03:21 PM.
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 03:20 PM   #309
Chris L
Graduate Poster
 
Chris L's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,289
Originally Posted by scarlettinlondon View Post
I can see that you don't LIKE it. I don't see why it's silly. You might not like the idea of giving up your rights. It can't really be silly to have a country where civilians don't carry\own guns. Boring perhaps. Safe and dull possibly. Not silly though.
You do know don't you, that banning gun ownership for civilians doesn't really keep civilians (the kind who use them to break the law) from having them?
__________________
"The lie is different at every level."
Richard C. Hoagland
Chris L is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 03:21 PM   #310
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing
 
LTC8K6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Directly under a deadly chemtrail
Posts: 15,535
Originally Posted by Agatha View Post
You were quoting Ben Adams, who lives in the USA; I don't know if you were aware of that.

A little investigoogle finds a BBC page which states These numbers include injuries, not just deaths. The UK has roughly a fifth of the population of the USA, so an equivalent number in the USA based on that would be 2,495 - that's deaths and serious injuries.

Again according to the BBC, in 2009, which is the latest year for which figures are available, there were 31,347 firearms deaths in the USA. That's just deaths, and is over 12 times higher than the rate per capita in the UK which includes injuries. If we excluded injuries from the UK rate, or added injuries into the USA rate, the USA rate per capita would be even higher. I hope that answers your query, though I recognise that the figures I have found so far aren't comparable because the UK rate includes serious injury and the USA rate only includes deaths.
Are suicides included in the US firearms deaths?
__________________
What a fool believes, no wise man has the power to reason away. What seems to be, is always better than nothing.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 03:24 PM   #311
anglolawyer
Philosopher
 
anglolawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: surrey, england
Posts: 8,197
Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
I think serial killers are different, not better or worse, but different. Maybe they have an issue with prostitutes or bums or junkies, whatever. But these mostly young men who target schools and colleges in a single incident, often killing themselves, are saying something else. Don't ask me what.
anglolawyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 03:25 PM   #312
Quad4_72
AI-EE-YAH!
 
Quad4_72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 6,182
Originally Posted by JihadJane View Post
Legalizing drugs reduces overdoses and drug-related deaths.


Or was your post ironic?
Ironic.
__________________
Looks like the one on top has a magazine, thus needs less reloading. Also, the muzzle shroud makes it less likely for a spree killer to burn his hands. The pistol grip makes it more comfortable for the spree killer to shoot. thaiboxerken
Quad4_72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 03:26 PM   #313
scarlettinlondon
Critical Thinker
 
scarlettinlondon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 398
Originally Posted by StankApe View Post
anyone who thinks outlawing guns would stop stuff like this is delusional and not very bright.

I want to kill people at school, I goto local "guy" and buy illegal gun and ammo. Problem solved....

why is it people don't get this?
Because I disagree with you doesn't mean either of these things. I am certainly not delusional. Brightness appears to be in the eye of the beholder - I disagree with you, therefore I am not very bright. Ho hum.

I think a country is safer if civilians do not own guns. This appears to be backed up by gun related crime statistics from the UK.

my interpretation is as follows. You don't want to give up your guns not because you disagree with my position, but because it's your right to carry them and you don't wish that right to be restricted by law because you personally are a responsible gun owner.

I wonder if there is anyone here that holds the position that they feel that gun ownership contributes significantly to gun related crime but they think that their right to hold a gun outweighs this consideration. I only seem to hear arguments that say well, murderers could kill with bombs/garden furniture/grenades/rabid rabbits etc. It would feel more honest to me if there was anyone who had the viewpoint that widespread gun ownership contributed to crime significantly but that they just didn't care about that compared to their own rights.
scarlettinlondon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 03:29 PM   #314
scarlettinlondon
Critical Thinker
 
scarlettinlondon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 398
Originally Posted by Chris L View Post
You do know don't you, that banning gun ownership for civilians doesn't really keep civilians (the kind who use them to break the law) from having them?
Of course I know that. But the fact that they are illegal reduces opportunity to get hold of them, surely you must see that? Particularly for these adolescent school shootings. Also it means that anyone going around armed (or having a gun at home) is automatically comitting a criminal offernce and therefore can be arrested before they do anything worse.
scarlettinlondon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 03:30 PM   #315
jhunter1163
Beer-swilling semiliterate
Moderator
 
jhunter1163's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Room 118, Bohemian Grove Marriott
Posts: 21,092
Originally Posted by Dr.Sid View Post
It's a tragedy. I don't think any regulation can prevent this. But maybe it can make it harder .. less probable .. just a bit.
Armed teachers ? Not sure about that .. but metal detector and armed guard at the doors ? You bet ..
The shooter was the son of one of the teachers. He was known at the school. He'd probably have gotten past any security measures you'd realistically put in place at a freaking elementary school.

This happened only about half an hour from me. Some of my co-workers have kids in that school.
jhunter1163 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 03:30 PM   #316
Ranb
Philosopher
 
Ranb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: WA USA
Posts: 5,660
Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
I have as much to go on as the opposing argument. Also, difficulty of task discourages many that would do the task if it were easier.
What is your opposing argument? One of these?

Quote:
I have an easy time believing this guy would've killed people if he didn't have access to guns.
or
I have a hard time believing this guy would've killed people if he did have access to guns.
With 40%(?) of the homicides in the United State non-gun related, do you really think there was big chance that this deranged person would have never tried to kill anyone if he didn't have a gun? I am not arguing that he could have killed more or less with a non-gun method, but it appears that you claim the gun was somehow to blame and not the person.
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 03:32 PM   #317
Chris L
Graduate Poster
 
Chris L's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,289
Originally Posted by scarlettinlondon View Post
I wonder if there is anyone here that holds the position that they feel that gun ownership contributes significantly to gun related crime but they think that their right to hold a gun outweighs this consideration.
That depends on whether you are talking about legal or illegal gun ownership. If it's legal owners you are talking about, then no, having the gun does not make them more likely to commit crime. If you are talking about illegal gun owners, then yes, having the gun makes it easier for them to exercise their propensity to break the law. In their case though, more gun laws would not change that.
__________________
"The lie is different at every level."
Richard C. Hoagland
Chris L is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 03:33 PM   #318
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing
 
LTC8K6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Directly under a deadly chemtrail
Posts: 15,535
Quote:
Ryan Lanza, 24, brother of gunman Adam Lanza, 20, tells authorities that his younger brother is autistic, or has Asperger syndrome and a “personality disorder.” Neighbors described the younger man to ABC as “odd” and displaying characteristics associated with obsessive-compulsive disorder.
Personality disorder?
__________________
What a fool believes, no wise man has the power to reason away. What seems to be, is always better than nothing.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 03:34 PM   #319
Noztradamus
Master Poster
 
Noztradamus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,228
Originally Posted by scarlettinlondon View Post
I would differ. I would prefer to live in a country where only the police and the military have guns that one where everyone, including the crazies have access to guns
You would prefer to live in Rwanda?
__________________
The Australian Family Association's John Morrissey was aghast when he learned Jessica Watson was bidding to become the youngest person to sail round the world alone, unaided and without stopping.
Noztradamus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 03:34 PM   #320
Chris L
Graduate Poster
 
Chris L's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,289
Originally Posted by scarlettinlondon View Post
Of course I know that. But the fact that they are illegal reduces opportunity to get hold of them, surely you must see that? Particularly for these adolescent school shootings. Also it means that anyone going around armed (or having a gun at home) is automatically comitting a criminal offernce and therefore can be arrested before they do anything worse.
New York City, Washington DC, and Chicago all have some of the strictest gun ownership laws in the country. They are also some of the easiest places in the country to get a gun to use in a crime.
__________________
"The lie is different at every level."
Richard C. Hoagland
Chris L is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

JREF Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:08 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
2001-2013, James Randi Educational Foundation. All Rights Reserved.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.