JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
Click Here To Donate

Notices


Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Tags Connecticut incidents , gun issues , Sandy Hook , school incidents , school shootings , shooting incidents

Reply
Old 14th December 2012, 02:36 PM   #321
StankApe
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,643
Originally Posted by scarlettinlondon View Post
Because I disagree with you doesn't mean either of these things. I am certainly not delusional. Brightness appears to be in the eye of the beholder - I disagree with you, therefore I am not very bright. Ho hum.

I think a country is safer if civilians do not own guns. This appears to be backed up by gun related crime statistics from the UK.

my interpretation is as follows. You don't want to give up your guns not because you disagree with my position, but because it's your right to carry them and you don't wish that right to be restricted by law because you personally are a responsible gun owner.

I wonder if there is anyone here that holds the position that they feel that gun ownership contributes significantly to gun related crime but they think that their right to hold a gun outweighs this consideration. I only seem to hear arguments that say well, murderers could kill with bombs/garden furniture/grenades/rabid rabbits etc. It would feel more honest to me if there was anyone who had the viewpoint that widespread gun ownership contributed to crime significantly but that they just didn't care about that compared to their own rights.
I said it in that manner because that's the position people seem to take. That if we just banned guns then this wouldn't happen. But it WOULD happen. The guns are not the reason these things happen. The guns are the tools of expression. The cause is the crazed mind of the shooter. and we all know that if a human wants to do something bad enough, he will find a way to do it.

The UK doesn't border a 3rd world country so acquiring guns would be a lot more difficult than it is here where the Mexican Cartels would ship them in by the truckload.

Guns aren't the motive for these crimes. Banning guns won't do a damn thing. and using another country as supposed "proof" is a fallacy as another country doesn't have the same culture, issues, population....etc that our country has.

I'm not a gun owner, but any govt who has the power to take away the guns of it's citizens is not somewhere I am comfortable living. Some of you seem to be okay with being babysat by tyranny, not me.
StankApe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 02:39 PM   #322
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 33,570
Originally Posted by Sunstealer View Post
Back in July everyone was horrified with the shooting in that cinema. In 6 months or sometime next year there will be another one. This is simply the price Americans are more than willing to pay to uphold their constitutional rights.
A rare piece of honesty in a thread like this. Yes, events like this are the price of America's constitutionally-guaranteed gun culture. Most of the civilised world is not prepared to pay this sort of price. It's time for the US to have a proper debate about the costs and benefits of easily availability of weapons, or simply put up with atrocities like this.
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill

Last edited by lionking; 14th December 2012 at 02:57 PM.
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 02:40 PM   #323
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing
 
LTC8K6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Directly under a deadly chemtrail
Posts: 15,440
Originally Posted by scarlettinlondon View Post
Of course I know that. But the fact that they are illegal reduces opportunity to get hold of them, surely you must see that? Particularly for these adolescent school shootings. Also it means that anyone going around armed (or having a gun at home) is automatically comitting a criminal offernce and therefore can be arrested before they do anything worse.
We are loaded with guns, and would remain so indefinitely even if guns were banned totally. So, criminals in the USA will always have guns, imo. The country is too big and too free and armed way too well for a ban to do much for a very long time, if ever.

They banned alcohol once.

We have our Constitution, which there is disagreement about, but so far, we still have it on our side.

As far as taking my guns? They fell out of my boat the other day while I was out fishing off Myrtle Beach...

Damn shame...
__________________
What a fool believes, no wise man has the power to reason away. What seems to be, is always better than nothing.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 02:42 PM   #324
joesixpack
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Edge of the continent, Pacific county, WA
Posts: 4,534
Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
I have a hard time believing this guy would've killed people if he didn't have access to guns.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath_School_Disaster

Not that it's easy to get dynamite these days, but there are a variety of ways to kill people.

I'm not saying one way or another as far as gun laws go (thought I have a very definite opinion I don't want to go into here) but the questions we are asking should be more related to "why do people do this and how can we identify them before they act?" The gun discussion seems highly unproductive.

ETA Damn! DrSid beat me to it
__________________
Generally sober 'til noon.

Last edited by joesixpack; 14th December 2012 at 03:05 PM.
joesixpack is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 02:43 PM   #325
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 33,570
Originally Posted by StankApe View Post
Some of you seem to be okay with being babysat by tyranny, not me.
Rationality goes out the door yet again. Having restrictions on gun ownership is not tyranny. Nothing like it.
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 02:43 PM   #326
Pup
Illuminator
 
Pup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 4,562
Originally Posted by scarlettinlondon View Post
I wonder if there is anyone here that holds the position that they feel that gun ownership contributes significantly to gun related crime but they think that their right to hold a gun outweighs this consideration. I only seem to hear arguments that say well, murderers could kill with bombs/garden furniture/grenades/rabid rabbits etc. It would feel more honest to me if there was anyone who had the viewpoint that widespread gun ownership contributed to crime significantly but that they just didn't care about that compared to their own rights.
I think it's more of a chicken-and-egg thing. The hard part is figuring whether gun bans cause less violence, or less violence causes gun bans.

If a society doesn't care whether they own guns, it's the kind of society less likely to have violent crime, so they're okay with banning guns. But it's not the banning of guns that reduces crime, it's the lack of interest in owning guns which both makes voters okay with banning of guns and makes the crime less likely.

The US isn't the kind of society to want to ban guns, at least not now, so we're also the kind of society where violent crime is more likely.

Personally, I think the success of a gun ban in the US at this point in time can be extrapolated by looking at places where guns and other weapons are already virtually banned, like in schools.
Pup is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 02:43 PM   #327
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing
 
thaiboxerken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 23,376
Originally Posted by Chris L View Post
You do know don't you, that banning gun ownership for civilians doesn't really keep civilians (the kind who use them to break the law) from having them?
That's the argument. Therefore, let's sell guns over the counter at every convenience store.
__________________
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 02:45 PM   #328
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher
 
Safe-Keeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Norway
Posts: 7,856
When gun control is discussed normally: Damned commies! Don't you see that I need to be allowed to own rifles and machine guns, because only then can I adequately defend myself and my great nation!

When guns kill innocents: Bah! I could kill just as many with a knife! Are you stupid commies really thick enough to think guns have the least impact on a person's ability to kill people?


Edit:

Quote:
Guns aren't the motive for these crimes. Banning guns won't do a damn thing. and using another country as supposed "proof" is a fallacy as another country doesn't have the same culture, issues, population....etc that our country has.
Wow, can I call 'em or what?

------------------

Quote:
You do know don't you, that banning gun ownership for civilians doesn't really keep civilians (the kind who use them to break the law) from having them?
Don't tell me that "deterrents" is a new phenomenon to you.

Does locking your door keep out determined burglars? Of course not, anyone can just break a window... but we still lock our doors. Why? Deterrent.

Either way, stereotyping people into "lawful" and "dishonest" is childish black-and-white thinking that society should have outgrown decades ago. This isn't Duckburg, where you have the law versus the Beagle Boys. In reality, people shift in and out of "lawful" and "criminal" all the time, and for all kinds of reasons.

Quote:
With 40%(?) of the homicides in the United State non-gun related, do you really think there was big chance that this deranged person would have never tried to kill anyone if he didn't have a gun? I am not arguing that he could have killed more or less with a non-gun method, but it appears that you claim the gun was somehow to blame and not the person.
Of course not, let's not be ridiculous here. I mean, look at all the school massacres carried out by knife-wielding assailants! Clearly this proves that...
...oh. ****.

(though, I admit I am kind of amused by the mental image of a kitchen knife-wielding Breivik chasing kids around on Utya yelling "stop, dammit! Heel! Sit! Down! Stay where you are so I can stab youuuuu!" ).

Last edited by Safe-Keeper; 14th December 2012 at 02:54 PM.
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 02:45 PM   #329
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing
 
thaiboxerken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 23,376
Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
What is your opposing argument?

The opposing argument is that this guy would've found another way to kill all those children if he didn't have a gun. No one has given any evidence to support the claim, but there you go.
__________________
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 02:47 PM   #330
StankApe
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,643
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Rationality goes out the door yet again. Having restrictions on gun ownership is not tyranny. Nothing like it.
I'm referring to a ban. and govt telling it's citizens "oh well, we decided that you can't have those anymore" is tyrannical behavior.

I DO think that there should be some sort of background eval for gun ownership. Though,like I said before, this really wouldn't do a whole lot as someone can always just by a gun illegally off the street and sidestep the process.

I've never been a fan of making the entire class miss recess because one kid couldn't stop talking. Punishing law abiding people due to the offenses of a tiny minority is reactionary nonsense.
StankApe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 02:47 PM   #331
Ranb
Philosopher
 
Ranb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: WA USA
Posts: 5,614
Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
That's the argument. Therefore, let's sell guns over the counter at every convenience store.
Perhaps you are aware that every convenience store in the USA that wants to sell guns can do so. The FFL is issued on demand to anyone who fills out the forms properly.

Ranb
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 02:47 PM   #332
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing
 
thaiboxerken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 23,376
Originally Posted by joesixpack View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath_School_Disaster

Not that it's easy to get dynamite these days, but there are a variety of ways to kill people.

I'm not saying one way or another as far as gun laws go (thought I have a very definite opinion I don't want to go into here) but the questions we are asking should be more related to "why do people do this and how can we identify them before they act?" The gun discussion seems highly unproductive.
If having a gun was illegal, it would be easier to identify if a crazy person was going to use a gun to kill people.
__________________
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 02:48 PM   #333
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Shifting through paradigms
Posts: 44,343
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
A rare piece of honesty in a thread like this. Yes, events like this are the price for America's constitutionally-guaranteed gun culture. Most of the civilised world is not prepared to pay this sort of price. It's time for the US to have a proper debate about the costs and benefits of easily availability of weapons, so simply put up with atrocities like this.
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Rationality goes out the door yet again. Having restrictions on gun ownership is not tyranny. Nothing like it.
I don't equate the blanket statement, "constitutional rights," with a single right currently in the Constitution. The 2nd Amendment is not the whole Constitution but gun rights are often tossed out there as if that single Amendment represents everything this country stands for.

It's not even clear said Amendment refers to today's gun ownership. It's worded as something saying the people have a right to bear arms in case they need to overthrow the government, or in case they're called up to fight for it.
Quote:
A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
__________________
(*Tired of continuing to hear the "Democrat Party" repeatedly I've decided to adopt the name, Pubbie Party, Repubs "Republics" and Republic Party in response.)

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 14th December 2012 at 02:49 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 02:48 PM   #334
Ranb
Philosopher
 
Ranb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: WA USA
Posts: 5,614
Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
The opposing argument is that this guy would've found another way to kill all those children if he didn't have a gun. No one has given any evidence to support the claim, but there you go.
So why jump in with the others making loony claims? It does nothing to support your claim at all.

Ranb
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 02:49 PM   #335
StankApe
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,643
Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
The opposing argument is that this guy would've found another way to kill all those children if he didn't have a gun. No one has given any evidence to support the claim, but there you go.
No, the opposing argument is that he would have gotten a gun anyway.

Why is it that you seem unable to formulate an opinion that isn't EXTREME CRAZY BAD PEOPLE WANT GUNS! or BAN ALL GUNS!!!

There's a heck of a lot of middle ground there ya know......
StankApe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 02:49 PM   #336
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing
 
LTC8K6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Directly under a deadly chemtrail
Posts: 15,440
Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
That's the argument. Therefore, let's sell guns over the counter at every convenience store.
Okay. Will we still have to fill out the useless 4473 form each time?

Well anyway, I am resigned to that fact that more restrictions are coming and I will just have to deal with it.

They will be silly restrictions, and they won't do anything to stop a nut from shooting up a school, but I am certain they are coming, and that's that.
__________________
What a fool believes, no wise man has the power to reason away. What seems to be, is always better than nothing.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 02:50 PM   #337
StankApe
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,643
Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
If having a gun was illegal, it would be easier to identify if a crazy person was going to use a gun to kill people.
stundie worthy.............


Pray tell , inform us how your keen insight into the criminal mind would have you identifying these people due to gun illegality.
StankApe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 02:52 PM   #338
dafydd
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: On the Flanders/Nederland border.
Posts: 35,445
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
A rare piece of honesty in a thread like this. Yes, events like this are the price for America's constitutionally-guaranteed gun culture. Most of the civilised world is not prepared to pay this sort of price. It's time for the US to have a proper debate about the costs and benefits of easily availability of weapons, so simply put up with atrocities like this.
Hear hear!
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 02:52 PM   #339
leftysergeant
Penultimate Amazing
 
leftysergeant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Spanaway WA
Posts: 18,873
Originally Posted by Chris L View Post
New York City, Washington DC, and Chicago all have some of the strictest gun ownership laws in the country. They are also some of the easiest places in the country to get a gun to use in a crime.
Their murder rates are also quite high.
__________________
No civilization ever collapsed because the poor had too much to eat.
leftysergeant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 02:52 PM   #340
John Mekki
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 537
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
CNN reporting a school shooting.
How dare they mention guns might be involved. Do they just want us to turn into the USSR with guns banned and everyone forced to worship Obama?
That's my prediction of a reaction on at least one gun forum before the day is over.

So the question is: why are guns the one subject that cannot be discussed civilly?


Holy crap: someone on CNN just said it couldn't be a student reacting to bullying because it isn't a high school so bullying doesn't happen there!
I do not see much the point of this fuss..
Again..

29 people killed.
I feel sorry for them, but who are they in the economy of all the lives of the world?
So far, all the shootings that happened in the US barely affected the lives of 0.01% of the citizens, so why are they of any relevancy for the great majority of the people?

In other words..
Why should we care?
John Mekki is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 02:55 PM   #341
Ampulla of Vater
Graduate Poster
 
Ampulla of Vater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: North of the White Line of Toldt
Posts: 1,414
Originally Posted by scarlettinlondon View Post
The most obvious common factor in mass shootings is the gun.
No, it is the nutcase shooting the gun.
Ampulla of Vater is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 02:55 PM   #342
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing
 
thaiboxerken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 23,376
Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
So why jump in with the others making loony claims? It does nothing to support your claim at all.

Ranb
My "argument" is simple disbelief that this guy would've found a way to kill all those children if he didn't have access to a gun. I think it's more believable to think that without a gun, the guy would've decided not to try because of the difficulty of committing the task without a gun.
__________________
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 02:56 PM   #343
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 33,570
Originally Posted by StankApe View Post
No, the opposing argument is that he would have gotten a gun anyway.
It doesn't have to be that way. Handguns are extremely hard to get hold of in Australia. The problem is that somebody in the US can just snap, and be able to easily arm himself with deadly weapons and go on a spur of the moment killing spree.
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 02:56 PM   #344
scarlettinlondon
Critical Thinker
 
scarlettinlondon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 395
Originally Posted by StankApe View Post
stundie worthy.............


Pray tell , inform us how your keen insight into the criminal mind would have you identifying these people due to gun illegality.
No. If you criminalise gun ownership you get the assumption that guys carrying guns are up to no good automatically. There are fewer about and so they are less easy to get hold of and if you do so, you are already breaking the law. You are therefore more likely to get to the naughty fellas before they shoot anyone up, because they can be arrested for just having a gun.

you still cannot prevent the very determined shooter, we can't totally eradicate it in the UK. It's HARDER to get them thats all, it's criminal to get them so you can get stopped at any point along the gun ownership route. Asking for one, going to a pub to buy one, selling one in the pub, advertising one. You just can't get them as easily. therefore we have fewer gun related crimes in the UK, not no crime.
scarlettinlondon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 02:57 PM   #345
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing
 
thaiboxerken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 23,376
Originally Posted by StankApe View Post
stundie worthy.............


Pray tell , inform us how your keen insight into the criminal mind would have you identifying these people due to gun illegality.
Guy has gun. Police arrest him for having a gun. There you go.
__________________
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 02:58 PM   #346
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing
 
thaiboxerken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 23,376
Originally Posted by leftysergeant View Post
Their murder rates are also quite high.
Amazing. The more people have guns, the higher the murder rate.
__________________
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 02:58 PM   #347
Chris L
Graduate Poster
 
Chris L's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,288
Originally Posted by leftysergeant View Post
Their murder rates are also quite high.
So gun control != safer.
__________________
"The lie is different at every level."
Richard C. Hoagland
Chris L is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 02:59 PM   #348
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member
 
Rolfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NT 150 511
Posts: 37,868
Originally Posted by John Mekki View Post
I do not see much the point of this fuss..
Again..

29 people killed.
I feel sorry for them, but who are they in the economy of all the lives of the world?
So far, all the shootings that happened in the US barely affected the lives of 0.01% of the citizens, so why are they of any relevancy for the great majority of the people?

In other words..
Why should we care?

People care. If we stop caring, we stop being human.

A couple of years ago, I was sitting in the dining room of Churches House in Dunblane, eating dinner. Idly, I admired a pretty cross-stitch picture framed on the wall. It showed a sunlit school playground, with a number of children playing with balls, skipping ropes and such things. A female teacher watched over them benignly from a doorway.

Slowly, realisation dawned. Sixteen children, caught forever in a sunlit moment. One teacher. The words, in neat cross-stitch along the bottom. "Remember the children."

I burst into tears right there.

If we stop feeling about this, we stop being human.

Rolfe.
__________________
"The way we vote will depend, ultimately, on whether we are persuaded to hope or to fear." - Aonghas MacNeacail, June 2012.
Rolfe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 02:59 PM   #349
StankApe
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,643
Look folks, making things illegal has never stopped anyone from doing anything they really wanted to do. Booze, drugs...whatever it was.

In a country this vast, this populated and this pop culture driven, these sorts of things are gonna happen sometimes. It's awful and i wish there was some way we could stop it . But unless we have 24 hr Big Brother watching every single person ,it's just impossible.

It's easy to look back and go 'well he was acting strangely leading up to the final days...blahblahblah" but we can't lock people up cuz we think they might commit a crime. We KNOW that a gun ban won't work as people who are planning on committing these sorts outbursts don't care about legality, they don't even plan on living....

I wish there was an easy solution to this, but I don't think there is really anything we can do to stop it. I guess we could ban media coverage of it. But that's an even worse case of throwing the baby out with the bathwater. (and that probably wouldn't do much to stop it either).

a damaged mind is impossible to predict, and a person who has fully committed to dying in a hail of gunfire is really impossible to stop. There's nothing rational going on there that can be predicted or reasoned with.

It's a terrible tragedy, and there will be others. It's the price we pay to have the freedom to go where we want, say what we want, own what we want and do what we want.

It sucks, but the alternative is worse
StankApe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 02:59 PM   #350
scarlettinlondon
Critical Thinker
 
scarlettinlondon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 395
Originally Posted by Ampulla of Vater View Post
No, it is the nutcase shooting the gun.
Without the gun you just get the nutcase.

There is a gun involved in every single shooting. The fella on the other end of the gun may be a nutcase. He may be disturbed. He may be depressed. He may be angry. He may be suicidal. He may be sad.

The gun is always a gun. Any one of thse fellas described above might have not shot children if they didn't have access to a gun.
scarlettinlondon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 03:02 PM   #351
Ranb
Philosopher
 
Ranb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: WA USA
Posts: 5,614
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
It doesn't have to be that way. Handguns are extremely hard to get hold of in Australia. The problem is that somebody in the US can just snap, and be able to easily arm himself with deadly weapons and go on a spur of the moment killing spree.
Would you be saying the same thing about rifles or shotguns if those types were used? If I recall, there is no shortage of those kinds of fireams in the USA and where you live.

Ranb
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 03:03 PM   #352
Chris L
Graduate Poster
 
Chris L's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,288
Originally Posted by scarlettinlondon View Post
Without the gun you just get the nutcase.

There is a gun involved in every single shooting. The fella on the other end of the gun may be a nutcase. He may be disturbed. He may be depressed. He may be angry. He may be suicidal. He may be sad.

The gun is always a gun. Any one of thse fellas described above might have not shot children if they didn't have access to a gun.
Again you seem to equate not being able to own a gun legally with not being able to own a gun.
__________________
"The lie is different at every level."
Richard C. Hoagland
Chris L is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 03:03 PM   #353
StankApe
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,643
Originally Posted by scarlettinlondon View Post
No. If you criminalise gun ownership you get the assumption that guys carrying guns are up to no good automatically. There are fewer about and so they are less easy to get hold of and if you do so, you are already breaking the law. You are therefore more likely to get to the naughty fellas before they shoot anyone up, because they can be arrested for just having a gun.

you still cannot prevent the very determined shooter, we can't totally eradicate it in the UK. It's HARDER to get them thats all, it's criminal to get them so you can get stopped at any point along the gun ownership route. Asking for one, going to a pub to buy one, selling one in the pub, advertising one. You just can't get them as easily. therefore we have fewer gun related crimes in the UK, not no crime.
How many people on their way to commit a massive public shooting have been stopped due to being spotted with guns? none that i know of. How is it that you think they are going to be caught? They weren't walking down the street with their guns for weeks leading up to the shootings.

You buy an illegal weapon, you take it home, you put it in your basement, you plot your insane attack. You drive to the scene and pull out your guns and start shooting. I see no prevention there.
StankApe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 03:03 PM   #354
Redtail
Penultimate Amazing
 
Redtail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,304
Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Guy has gun. Police arrest him for having a gun. There you go.
How would you know he had a gun until he decided to use it?
__________________
Villager: Pfft... Who knows? Can your science explain why it rains?
Sokka: Wha!?... I ca.... YES!!!!
Redtail is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 03:05 PM   #355
StankApe
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,643
and pardon me for saying this, but anyone who doesn't live in the USA has no business telling us what we should or shouldn't be doing in regards to our constitution.
StankApe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 03:05 PM   #356
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing
 
thaiboxerken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 23,376
Originally Posted by Chris L View Post
So gun control != safer.
I think the claim was made that there isn't much control of the guns in those places.
__________________
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 03:06 PM   #357
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing
 
thaiboxerken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 23,376
Originally Posted by StankApe View Post
Look folks, making things illegal has never stopped anyone from doing anything they really wanted to do. Booze, drugs...whatever it was.
Why have laws at all, then?
__________________
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 03:07 PM   #358
ehcks
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,621
Originally Posted by StankApe View Post
and pardon me for saying this, but anyone who doesn't live in the USA has no business telling us what we should or shouldn't be doing in regards to our constitution.
Then I suppose America and Americans should stop telling other countries what to do with their laws?
__________________
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanlon%27s_razor
ehcks is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 03:07 PM   #359
StankApe
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,643
lol, your silly fanatic OMG WE ARE ALL DOOMED! thinking is cracking me up

your opinion is akin to the leftist Jack Chick
StankApe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 03:09 PM   #360
Chris L
Graduate Poster
 
Chris L's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,288
Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
I think the claim was made that there isn't much control of the guns in those places.
If you are a law abiding citizen there is. If you aren't, not so much.
__________________
"The lie is different at every level."
Richard C. Hoagland
Chris L is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

JREF Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:03 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
2001-2013, James Randi Educational Foundation. All Rights Reserved.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.