JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Old 15th December 2012, 09:19 AM   #1
Cainkane1
Philosopher

Is Thomas Kincaid the reincarnation of Adolph Hitler?

I believe Hitler and Thomas stye of painting have a lot in common.
Old 15th December 2012, 10:04 AM   #2
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Was?

Prove your computer is not a wimp ! Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Skeptical Greg is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2012, 10:32 AM   #3
Professor Yaffle
Butterbeans and Breadcrumbs

No.
Professor Yaffle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2012, 08:39 PM   #4
Shrike
Warning: May Contain Nuts

*Adolf*
Old 15th December 2012, 09:43 PM   #5
Battman
Thinker

Evidence? Samples? Show us something here.
The difference would be that Hitler likely actually painted his pictures himself instead of having them produced on assembly lines.
Not that I'm a fan of Kincaid's "art". I think it's crap.
Old 15th December 2012, 10:51 PM   #6
Aepervius
Philosopher

reincanation does not exists beyond fantasy /thread.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2012, 05:53 AM   #7
dafydd
Banned

No.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2012, 06:31 AM   #8
Cainkane1
Philosopher

This post was basically frivolous in that I'm an atheist who doelsn't believe in anything supernatural. This includes woo woo of all kinds. The only similarities between Hitler and Kincade is that both were atrocious artists with Hitlers art being just a bit better.

Maybe if Hitler had specialized in cutsy garbage like Kincade he sould have supported himself with seasonal postcards featuring snow, Chris Kringle and bunnys.
Old 16th December 2012, 06:38 AM   #9
Doubt
Philosopher

Another thing they both have in common: They are both dead!!!!!!!!1111!

Santiago, Chile, Aug. 18 to the 29th. Might run into September
Doubt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2012, 06:42 AM   #10
TubbaBlubba
Knave of the Dudes

I don't think you can compare them. One was a tyrannical despot forcing his twisted ideals on masses of common people, resulting in uncountable atrocities.

Hitler, on the other hand, did wear a really ugly moustasche.
Old 16th December 2012, 08:34 AM   #11
Fitter
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Doubt View Post
Another thing they both have in common: They are both dead!!!!!!!!1111!
You know who else is dead? Hitler.
Fitter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2012, 09:30 AM   #12
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

At this point I should point out that my paintings from college looked a lot like both of their painting styles while resembling Hitler's just a bit more. And like Hitler I always avoided putting people in my work because....well I always thought people ruined it.
Old 16th December 2012, 10:12 AM   #13
DragonLady
Master Poster

Kincaid was actually a decent artist, but he decided to go for the money and create what sold. Whether you like it or hate it, you can't argue with his sales figures.

“She would be half a planet away, floating in a turquoise sea, dancing by moonlight to flamenco guitar.” ~ Janet Fitch

The Gweat and Tewwible Winged One
DragonLady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2012, 10:16 AM   #14
Dr.Sid
Critical Thinker

Nobody is reincarnation of anybody.
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2012, 10:18 AM   #15
mikeyx
Banned

Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
I believe Hitler and Thomas stye of painting have a lot in common.
I hear acoo coo clock sounding off somewhere
mikeyx is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2012, 12:22 PM   #16
calebprime
Somewhat Elitist Parasite

Looking at some Hitler:

http://www.google.com/search?tbm=isc...ac.6D7pggDYHNM

http://www.ynetnews.com/PicServer2/2.../LON106_wa.jpg
This one I linked to here strikes me as one of the more garish Hitler paintings -- the color seems awful, and he puts way too much random crosshatchy stubble stuff in the foreground where you see it even if you don't want to.

This Hitler painting doesn't strike me as all that bad:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-REuDIiw3kU...vel+Europe.jpg Hitler, after all, loved architecture, and maybe it shows.

Thomas Kinkaid:

http://www.bransongrandvillage.com/i...-Thomas001.jpg

It looks to me like Kinkaid is lusher, fuller, more chock full o' details, especially insanely cheerful ones.

Hitler, from what I understand, was rather lazy -- I can't imagine him working hard enough to paint something with as much ghastly over-pretty detail in it as Kinkaid, with all that careful but horrible rendering of lighting effects.

Some of the Hitler stuff is not awful. All of the Kinkaid is worse than awful, imo.

I doubt Hitler had the skill to get all the deer and other critters right.

These are my untrained first impressions.

Hitler was, at least, a self-styled intellectual -- knew some Schopenhauer and Wagner. Kinkaid is just going for sheer kitsch. Kinkaid shows more industry, more chops.

Last edited by calebprime; 16th December 2012 at 12:30 PM.
calebprime is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2012, 06:39 PM   #17
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
This post was basically frivolous in that I'm an atheist who doelsn't believe in anything supernatural. This includes woo woo of all kinds. The only similarities between Hitler and Kincade is that both were atrocious artists with Hitlers art being just a bit better.

Maybe if Hitler had specialized in cutsy garbage like Kincade he sould have supported himself with seasonal postcards featuring snow, Chris Kringle and bunnys.
I'm not going to pay any attention to this thread. You left out an apostrophe in "Hitlers".
Old 16th December 2012, 07:06 PM   #18
StankApe
Banned

Oh god when I see those Kinkaide paintings I feel like I've wandered into the ficiton section of a D&D shop.

Twee I can handle. I'm even capable of managing a little "syrupy" but that stuff is like spoon feeding yourself an entire gallon of icing.
StankApe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2012, 06:09 AM   #19
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Why are all of Kinkaide's houses on fire inside? Even in broad daylight all windows are full of a ruddy orange glow that speaks of internal fires raging.
Old 17th December 2012, 06:13 AM   #20
calebprime

I do think he was a very angry, very sick man.
Old 17th December 2012, 07:05 AM   #21
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
And like Hitler I always avoided putting people in my work because....well I always thought people ruined it.
That's OK, as long as you don't strive to make reality imitate your art.
Old 17th December 2012, 07:34 AM   #22
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

No. Whatever else, Kincaid had technical skill.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2012, 07:39 AM   #23
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Originally Posted by TubbaBlubba View Post
I don't think you can compare them. One was a tyrannical despot forcing his twisted ideals on masses of common people, resulting in uncountable atrocities.

Hitler, on the other hand, did wear a really ugly moustasche.
Hitler: Would have won WW2, if only he had worn a Fu Manchu.
Old 17th December 2012, 07:42 AM   #24
Captain_Swoop
Philosopher

Originally Posted by calebprime View Post
http://www.ynetnews.com/PicServer2/2.../LON106_wa.jpg
This one I linked to here strikes me as one of the more garish Hitler paintings -- the color seems awful, and he puts way too much random crosshatchy stubble stuff in the foreground where you see it even if you don't want to.
That's the one I like, Kind of a Post Impressionist feel to it.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2012, 08:19 AM   #25
calebprime

Heh.

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=post-...r:70,s:0,i:305

calebprime on art: "Van Gogh puts way too much field-with-daubs-of-flowers in the foreground, where you don't want to see it."

I'd be hard pressed to say why I like the Van Gogh and don't like the Hitler, other than prejudice. So, I admit incompetence. But everything Van Gogh did looks good to me, or better than good.

Maybe if I saw a better reproduction of the Hitler --or the original -- I'd like the color more. So any discussion of color-choice is compromised by distortion from the reproductions.

I think that in the Hitler I don't like the white strokes in the foreground field, because they're not differentiated from where they meet the buildings, and even extend into the buildings, especially toward the left.

That to me neither looks realistic, clever, nor good-to-look-at. If that's the way the artist felt, I don't want to go there.

I can't see why Hitler puts his purple-white little hill so much in the center in what is an otherwise peaceful scene, and how those impatient strokes are supposed to work with the sky.

As I'm seeing the Hitler in reproduction now, the color combinations are truly queasy. And when I look at the white strokes as they meet the buildings, they seem to leap off the ground for no reason. Not passion-strokes, but impatient strokes. It looks like amateur painting to me, but I couldn't say exactly why. That's where training would come in.

I can't see any reason why the building on the right is all washed out by white paint -- that's maybe the way it looked to him at the time, but it doesn't look good to me.

Van Gogh I've already fallen in love with, so I trust him even if I don't get it at first. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Turner, for example, is doing angels and birds, so all that motion and crazy brush strokes make sense, plus he puts his angel right in the center.
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=Engli...r:89,s:0,i:362

In good art, there's some kind of way the technique serves the expressive intent, the theme, the subject matter.

Van Gogh at his most rapturous was still a master, but I don't have the ability to say why.

Please, someone who knows what she's talking about, help me out here!

eta: another attempt at flaw-finding with the Hitler: The church is center, but it's sort of dominated by the rather sickly trio of trees. The trees dominate, but they seem to be drawn in this perfunctory way.

Last edited by calebprime; 17th December 2012 at 08:42 AM.
calebprime is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2012, 08:24 AM   #26
headscratcher4
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Why are all of Kinkaide's houses on fire inside? Even in broad daylight all windows are full of a ruddy orange glow that speaks of internal fires raging.
Because in every Kinkaide house there is some sort of satan coven in the midst of some sort of sacrificial ritual... obviously.

-- Homer Simpson
headscratcher4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2012, 09:02 AM   #27
DragonLady
Master Poster

Heh.

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=post-...r:70,s:0,i:305

calebprime on art: "Van Gogh puts way too much field-with-daubs-of-flowers in the foreground, where you don't want to see it."

I'd be hard pressed to say why I like the Van Gogh and don't like the Hitler, other than prejudice. So, I admit incompetence. But everything Van Gogh did looks good to me, or better than good.

Maybe if I saw a better reproduction of the Hitler --or the original -- I'd like the color more. So any discussion of color-choice is compromised by distortion from the reproductions.

I think that in the Hitler I don't like the white strokes in the foreground field, because they're not differentiated from where they meet the buildings, and even extend into the buildings, especially toward the left.

That to me neither looks realistic, clever, nor good-to-look-at. If that's the way the artist felt, I don't want to go there.

I can't see why Hitler puts his purple-white little hill so much in the center in what is an otherwise peaceful scene, and how those impatient strokes are supposed to work with the sky.

As I'm seeing the Hitler in reproduction now, the color combinations are truly queasy. And when I look at the white strokes as they meet the buildings, they seem to leap off the ground for no reason. Not passion-strokes, but impatient strokes. It looks like amateur painting to me, but I couldn't say exactly why. That's where training would come in.

I can't see any reason why the building on the right is all washed out by white paint -- that's maybe the way it looked to him at the time, but it doesn't look good to me.

Van Gogh I've already fallen in love with, so I trust him even if I don't get it at first. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Turner, for example, is doing angels and birds, so all that motion and crazy brush strokes make sense, plus he puts his angel right in the center.
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=Engli...r:89,s:0,i:362

In good art, there's some kind of way the technique serves the expressive intent, the theme, the subject matter.

Van Gogh at his most rapturous was still a master, but I don't have the ability to say why.

Please, someone who knows what she's talking about, help me out here!

eta: another attempt at flaw-finding with the Hitler: The church is center, but it's sort of dominated by the rather sickly trio of trees. The trees dominate, but they seem to be drawn in this perfunctory way.
As another Van Gogh lover, I agree completely. I've attempted to copy several of his paintings, and still can't tell you why his techniques worked so well for him but are so hideous for me, and for so many others who have sincerely tried.

Sometimes, I think the man had a magickal brush. It was delivered by space aliens wrapped in tin foil on a dark and starry night...but I'll never know how he knew just what to do with it.

“She would be half a planet away, floating in a turquoise sea, dancing by moonlight to flamenco guitar.” ~ Janet Fitch

The Gweat and Tewwible Winged One
DragonLady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2012, 09:28 AM   #28
calebprime

More on Hitler the artist.

http://schikelgruber.net/artistic.html

Of particular interest to me are the two watercolors a ways into the article, on the right side.

One of them I actually like -- the perspective has this weird quality -- drawing you into this narrow courtyard.

It's right over this caption:

Quote:
All Hitler's watercolours and
compositions are not mediocre, some
are quite decent and show a real
artistic sensitivity and talent. But
most of the good ones are more
remarkable for their architectural
composition than for the delicacy or
the inspiration of the work.
I do think that frustrated artists are dangerous!

That's why I'm going to go practice, now.
Old 17th December 2012, 10:01 AM   #29
Gawdzilla
121.92-meter mutant fire-breathing lizard-thingy

Can we have Kinkaid's Law?

"If you compare anyone to Thomas Kinkaid, including Satan, thread's over."
Gawdzilla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2012, 10:06 AM   #30
headscratcher4
Philosopher

can you at least compare Kinkaid to Kinkaid?

-- Homer Simpson
headscratcher4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2012, 11:50 AM   #31
Gawdzilla
121.92-meter mutant fire-breathing lizard-thingy

Originally Posted by headscratcher4 View Post
That would be attacking Kinkaid.
Gawdzilla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2012, 12:02 PM   #32
NotJesus
Unsaviory

What IS that building? If it's a house, why does it have a bell tower? If it's a church, why does it have multiple stories? Why is there a barn door at left? And why is it so close to the stream that it will flood in any heavy rain?

And, yeah, it's on fire.
I have now reread what I've just written, and I see that I'm much more intelligent than what I've written. How does it come about that what an intelligent man expresses is much stupider than what remains inside him?
-Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Adolescent
NotJesus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2012, 12:12 PM   #33
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Did somebody call???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ruben.jpg (20.7 KB, 4 views)

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2012, 12:14 PM   #34
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Maybe it's not on fire, maybe it's just something inside that makes it seem that way. Or someone.

Old 17th December 2012, 12:25 PM   #35
headscratcher4
Philosopher

Originally Posted by NotJesus View Post
What IS that building? If it's a house, why does it have a bell tower? If it's a church, why does it have multiple stories? Why is there a barn door at left? And why is it so close to the stream that it will flood in any heavy rain?

And, yeah, it's on fire.
I believe it is an IHOP with a firestation attached, obviously.

-- Homer Simpson
Old 17th December 2012, 12:44 PM   #36
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

So should we be purging the young in order to get the reincarnation of Kincaide-Hitler?
Old 17th December 2012, 01:02 PM   #37
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Not all of Kinkaide's work is awful. My aunt has a rare copy of one of his earlier works, before he got too religious. It's of a lovely rustic abortion clinic, with thatched roof, improbable variety of floral life, and cobblestone paths. It's probably worth a lot of money now, almost as much as the notorious "F da Police" print of Norman Rockwell's.
Old 17th December 2012, 01:08 PM   #38
headscratcher4
Philosopher

His rural abortion clinic period is right up there with Hitler's Sad Clown phase....

-- Homer Simpson
Old 17th December 2012, 01:18 PM   #39
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

His rural abortion clinic period is right up there with Hitler's Sad Clown phase....
And Rubens's "Skinny Women" period.
Old 17th December 2012, 01:47 PM   #40
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
And Rubens's "Skinny Women" period.
That was before he met Shirley Partridge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ruben.jpg (20.7 KB, 1 views)

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

JREF Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts