JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet
Click Here To Donate

Notices


Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Reply
Old 20th December 2012, 09:39 AM   #161
carlitos
"más divertido"
 
carlitos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 13,906
Originally Posted by erlando View Post
That's factually wrong. I have my iOS devices loaded with 20+ podcasts. Check your settings in iTunes. There is an option to transfer "recent", "checked" or "all".
Correct. Also, in the new podcasts app, you can basically pick and choose.

Originally Posted by WildCat View Post
Good luck getting any sort of streaming audio from the cloud while traveling between cities. Like when you're in your car, not in a hotel room.
Originally Posted by WildCat View Post
See how well that works driving across the country.

In my experience you only get data in metro ereas, when you're between cities forget about it. This site has coverage maps for most all carriers: http://sensorly.com/

I don't care which one you pick, lots of dead air on those maps.
You mentioned this in the previous apple vs. android thread. I don't understand the argument. If you use streaming audio in apple or android, the result is the same. So why mention it? If someone drives through non-covered areas, they can listen to music on their car satellite radio, AM, FM, or on their phone via iTunes, spotify, etc. What's the problem that's specific to apple?

Also, you seem to exaggerate the issue. The reason non-covered areas are non-covered, is that there aren't many people there.

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
I'm pretty sure you can't install a custom keyboard unless you jailbreak.
I'm looking at the apps store, and I see a lot of keyboards. That "SWYPE" thingie that someone mentioned is 99 cents. I use an English, Spanish, German and "emoji" keyboard on my iPhone. (ETA - I have to say that I'm so impressed at how well the voice recognition works in each language, it just floors me. Just hit one button to toggle between keyboards, hit the microphone key and start speaking in another language, and it types it out for you, accent marks and all.)

Originally Posted by SatansMaleVoiceChoir View Post
My point is also that the majority (of the minority) of retards screaming about freedom don't have the knowledge to do much more than download a few apps which allow them to make superficial changes.
You have said, in this very thread, that you posted this on JREF to get a more reasoned response. You have received this in spades. If you want to go argue with retards, there's probably an app for that.

Last edited by carlitos; 20th December 2012 at 09:43 AM.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 09:50 AM   #162
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Master Poster
 
SatansMaleVoiceChoir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,968
Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
So I guess you don't support rights for any group you're not part of? If that's not what you're saying please clarify.
No, that's not what I'm saying, and I don't even know how you get that from what I said. It must be awful to only think in absolutes.

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
And everyone is restricted by The Laws of Physics so there's no such thing as freedom?
Who said that? Not me.
__________________
The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. - Joseph Joubert

Do not believe hastily. - Ovid

There is no worse lie than a truth misunderstood by those who hear it. - William James
SatansMaleVoiceChoir is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 09:58 AM   #163
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Master Poster
 
SatansMaleVoiceChoir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,968
Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
I'm looking at the apps store, and I see a lot of keyboards. That "SWYPE" thingie that someone mentioned is 99 cents. I use an English, Spanish, German and "emoji" keyboard on my iPhone. (ETA - I have to say that I'm so impressed at how well the voice recognition works in each language, it just floors me. Just hit one button to toggle between keyboards, hit the microphone key and start speaking in another language, and it types it out for you, accent marks and all.)
Yes, the voice recognition software on iOS is amazing. I thought I'd test it out in iMessage by saying "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious", but I tripped over my tongue and said it wrong; it not only recognised what I was trying to say, but spelt it correctly too! That floored me.

I had SWYPE (or at least an App which did the same) about 3+ years ago, and it worked, but was an absolutely pointless App beyond novelty. For it to become second nature like a normal keyboard would literally have taken years of solid use, and even then it just was not as practical as a normal keyboard. Another example of a solution without a problem.

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
You have said, in this very thread, that you posted this on JREF to get a more reasoned response. You have received this in spades. If you want to go argue with retards, there's probably an app for that.
On the whole I have had some very reasoned responses, and I'd suggest that nobody in this thread has sunk to the level of retard.
__________________
The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. - Joseph Joubert

Do not believe hastily. - Ovid

There is no worse lie than a truth misunderstood by those who hear it. - William James
SatansMaleVoiceChoir is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 10:42 AM   #164
Wudang
BOFH
 
Wudang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: People's Republic of South Yorkshire
Posts: 9,223
Originally Posted by SatansMaleVoiceChoir View Post
No, that's not what I'm saying, and I don't even know how you get that from what I said. It must be awful to only think in absolutes.
But your argument above is that any freedom you would not exercise is not a freedom. The fact that people outside your circle of friends would choose to exercise it is irrelevant. I'm sorry but I see no other way to read what you wrote.
Quote:
Who said that? Not me.
If the fact that an android user's freedom isn't real because it's restricted by a cruel hard world........

I am genuinely just trying to understand your argument because it seems what you write is not what I and a couple of others seem to read.

I'm another who regards it as a trade-off btw. I use several different computer systems at work and each had its strengths and weaknesses. On the other hand, cars are a black box to me. I have no interest in learning more and chose my car accordingly.
__________________
Aphorism: Subjects most likely to be declared inappropriate for humor are the ones most in need of it. -epepke
Wudang is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 10:51 AM   #165
Darat
Lackey
JREF Forum Liaison
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 67,489
I think there is one aspect of the "freedom" of Android that's not been touched on (apologies if I missed it) and that is that it allows people more freedom to get a phone that suits their specific needs and wants. For example if I want a phone that will run WhatsApp and I only have £100 I cannot get an Apple phone. However I can pick up a number of Android based phones for £100 that can. What Android has allowed is freedom of choice of hardware and software - that kind of freedom does not really exist in the Apple range of phones.
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 10:59 AM   #166
Wangler
Master Poster
 
Wangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: OH State
Posts: 2,230
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I think there is one aspect of the "freedom" of Android that's not been touched on (apologies if I missed it) and that is that it allows people more freedom to get a phone that suits their specific needs and wants. For example if I want a phone that will run WhatsApp and I only have £100 I cannot get an Apple phone. However I can pick up a number of Android based phones for £100 that can. What Android has allowed is freedom of choice of hardware and software - that kind of freedom does not really exist in the Apple range of phones.
Wait, let's be clear here:

If you have more than £100 to spend, or you don't care about WhatsApp, then that freedom effectively doesn't exist. for anyone. period.

Wangler is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 11:25 AM   #167
carlitos
"más divertido"
 
carlitos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 13,906
We just got a kid an iPhone 3 for 99 cents.


















And a 2 year monthly data plan.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 11:41 AM   #168
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Master Poster
 
SatansMaleVoiceChoir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,968
Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
But your argument above is that any freedom you would not exercise is not a freedom. The fact that people outside your circle of friends would choose to exercise it is irrelevant. I'm sorry but I see no other way to read what you wrote.


If the fact that an android user's freedom isn't real because it's restricted by a cruel hard world........
I'm sorry if I am not explaining myself properly. Android is more customisable than iOS, I agree. To the everyday user, this 'freedom' does not really amount to much; I buy a smartphone or tablet based on ease, smoothness of use, built-in features, and suitability as a media player - being able to make inconsequential tweaks to the OS isn't a sell to me.

Obviously I only have my experience to draw on, but someone mentioned that I can't use 'Live Backgrounds' or something on iOS. I'm assuming that's some kind of moving background or video on your homescreen? Now, I don't mean to be derogatory to anyone but, so what? I tried the same thing in Vista for about 2 hours and it annoyed the hell out of me. But it's not just me; I just iMessaged a friend and asked if he'd like to see the option to set a video clip or moving background as his homescreen, and his exact reply was "Why would I?" That is simply not a selling point for many people, and neither is being able to tweak things like that, or Apple wouldn't sell so many devices.

Yes, the option is there for people with the knowledge to make some serious changes to their Android device, and for people with powerful knowledge an Android device is probably quite powerful, but to the average user, bog-standard Android hardly provides much more freedom than iOS.

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
I'm another who regards it as a trade-off btw. I use several different computer systems at work and each had its strengths and weaknesses. On the other hand, cars are a black box to me. I have no interest in learning more and chose my car accordingly.
I use a PC for games; an iMac for iTunes and Photoshop work, and my iPad and iPhone for all else.

For me, a car is a tool for getting from 'A' to 'B', and also choose my car accordingly!
__________________
The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. - Joseph Joubert

Do not believe hastily. - Ovid

There is no worse lie than a truth misunderstood by those who hear it. - William James

Last edited by SatansMaleVoiceChoir; 20th December 2012 at 12:03 PM.
SatansMaleVoiceChoir is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 11:43 AM   #169
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Master Poster
 
SatansMaleVoiceChoir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,968
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I think there is one aspect of the "freedom" of Android that's not been touched on (apologies if I missed it) and that is that it allows people more freedom to get a phone that suits their specific needs and wants. For example if I want a phone that will run WhatsApp and I only have £100 I cannot get an Apple phone. However I can pick up a number of Android based phones for £100 that can. What Android has allowed is freedom of choice of hardware and software - that kind of freedom does not really exist in the Apple range of phones.
Unless you picked up an iPhone 3GS?

But yes, I appreciate what you're saying - you certainly have a wider choice of devices running Android software.
__________________
The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. - Joseph Joubert

Do not believe hastily. - Ovid

There is no worse lie than a truth misunderstood by those who hear it. - William James

Last edited by SatansMaleVoiceChoir; 20th December 2012 at 11:45 AM.
SatansMaleVoiceChoir is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 12:09 PM   #170
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Master Poster
 
SatansMaleVoiceChoir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,968
Here's quite an interesting discussion:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1417853

There is an element of confusing OS with hardware, but some good points raised.
__________________
The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. - Joseph Joubert

Do not believe hastily. - Ovid

There is no worse lie than a truth misunderstood by those who hear it. - William James
SatansMaleVoiceChoir is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 12:17 PM   #171
Wudang
BOFH
 
Wudang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: People's Republic of South Yorkshire
Posts: 9,223
Originally Posted by SatansMaleVoiceChoir View Post
I'm sorry if I am not explaining myself properly. Android is more customisable than iOS, I agree. To the everyday user, this 'freedom' does not really amount to a huge amount; I buy a smartphone or tablet based on ease, smoothness of use, built-in features, and suitability as a media player - being able to make inconsequential tweaks to the OS isn't a sell to me.

Obviously I only have my experience to draw on, but someone mentioned that I can't use 'Live Backgrounds' or something on iOS. I'm assuming that's some kind of moving background or video on your homescreen? Now, I don't mean to be derogatory to anyone but, so what? I tried the same thing in Vista for about 2 hours and it annoyed the hell out of me. But it's not just me; I just iMessaged a friend and asked if he'd like to see the option to set a video clip or moving background as his homescreen, and his exact reply was "Why would I?" That is simply not a selling point for many people, and neither is being able to tweak things like that, or Apple wouldn't sell so many devices.

Yes, the option is there for people with the knowledge to make some serious changes to their Android device, and for people with powerful knowledge an Android device is probably quite a powerful device, but to the average user, bog-standard Android hardly provides much more freedom than iOS.
Thanks for the considered reply, I understand better now. I actually agree with you in that instance. I like a nice clean interface whether my phone, tablet or PCs. The point I would argue is that for each person there will be "a freedom" that they like. TheL8Elvis spoke of browsers. Believe me, if you're a programmer the wrong browser is like the wrong underpants. Sure they may do the job but it grates. For me it's the freedom to play with a device I regard as my property and my toy. So individual freedoms may vary or be trivial, what's irrelevant to one may be a thing of beauty to another. Regardless the choices are still there as the whole thing is more free. It also means there's arguably more tat.
Quote:


I use a PC for games; an iMac for iTunes and Photoshop work, and my iPad and iPhone for all else.

For me, a car is a tool for getting from 'A' to 'B', and also choose my car accordingly!
I usually describe it as a tool to get me to walking distance of B.
__________________
Aphorism: Subjects most likely to be declared inappropriate for humor are the ones most in need of it. -epepke
Wudang is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 12:35 PM   #172
John Albert
Illuminator
 
John Albert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,143
Originally Posted by SatansMaleVoiceChoir View Post
I'm sorry if it appears that way, but I simply do not agree with the majority of examples of 'Android Freedom'. Some people seem a bit put out by this.

You've consistently ignored the substance of the posts in favor of nitpicking about your own personal opinions about the examples given. That's the reason why people are, as you say, "put out."


Originally Posted by SatansMaleVoiceChoir View Post
Those arguments had a purpose; freedom is subjective. The examples provided when put into the context of an every day user's scenario were weak, I'm afraid.

The examples were not weak. Your dismissals were weak because they refused to acknowledge the basic premise the examples were cited to illustrate. Your argument about freedom being totally subjective is also weak.

Perhaps removing this discussion from the realm of consumer electronics and putting it into a more universal context might illuminate the flaw in your argument:

By your reasoning, I could argue that workers whose employer requires them to dress in uniform have just as much freedom of attire as employees who can wear whatever they want, because I don't particularly care about fashion. I could argue that a strict theocracy just as free as a country which specifies no national religion, on the basis that I believe in that religion. It's like saying a country with state-controlled media has just as much freedom of information as a country where a free press is allowed to investigate and report the news independently of the government, because I personally like what the government has to say. It's like saying a state with institutionalized racism is just as free as a state with equal rights because, hey, I'm not one of "those people."

Freedom is not entirely subjective. It is a real, objectively observable and quantifiable set of conditions. Just as cultural, social, and legal conditions present real constraints on the activities and lives of individuals, some proprietary legal and technological factors place real restrictions on developers and end-users in the tech market.


Originally Posted by SatansMaleVoiceChoir View Post
As I mentioned earlier, I had an App which allowed me to write simple scripts to customise various bits of iOS functionality; it was a fairly powerful app. The novelty wore off after a few days and I uninstalled it;

That's irrelevant to the discussion at hand. The discussion concerns user freedom and developer freedom, which are objective conditions; the discussion is larger than your own personal opinions about which apps you prefer to use. Your own personal preferences have no bearing on the validity of the claim that Apple imposes extremely restrictive policies on developers, and a total lockdown of their device against free, open and independent development. That is an objective truth. Anyone who works in the software industry will tell you that.


Originally Posted by SatansMaleVoiceChoir View Post
I'll be honest, and quite mercenary - I'm not interested in how free developers are to do whatever they want; I don't care

That's your opinion, and there's nothing wrong with holding that opinion.

However:

Your opinion has no bearing whatsoever on the reality of the freedoms of developers and users of Android to create and install software on that platform, relative to the obstacles and restrictions deliberately imposed by Apple on developers seeking to publish software for IOS and the restrictions deliberately imposed by Apple on users to only obtain their apps from the Apple App Store.

That is a real situation that you're flippantly denying on the basis of nothing more than your own platform partisanship.


Originally Posted by SatansMaleVoiceChoir View Post
Is freedom really freedom if you don't use it?

Yes.


Originally Posted by SatansMaleVoiceChoir View Post
It's OK saying "Today I could go surfing, mountain climbing, I could take piano lessons!" but then deciding to stay in and read a book, every day with no intention of ever doing any of those things.

The freedoms are yours to do with what you please. Freedom represents opportunities, the ability to make a choice. Just because you make the conscious choice to waste good opportunities doesn't mean the opportunities (and the freedoms that facilitate them) don't exist.

Even if you were restricted from going surfing by a medical condition, that would not mean that the freedom does not exist for others. The restrictions we impose on ourselves do not equal a lack of freedoms for others. If that were the case, then I could argue that because I'm incapable of playing the violin and therefore am not free to do so, then nobody else is capable or free to play the violin either.
__________________
“In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination, from authorities who have not themselves examined the questions at issue but have taken them at second-hand from other non-examiners, whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing.”
—Mark Twain

Last edited by John Albert; 20th December 2012 at 01:43 PM.
John Albert is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 12:45 PM   #173
Darat
Lackey
JREF Forum Liaison
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 67,489
Originally Posted by Wangler View Post
Wait, let's be clear here:

If you have more than £100 to spend, or you don't care about WhatsApp, then that freedom effectively doesn't exist. for anyone. period.

Your impeccable reasoning has convinced me - there is no freedom in Android.



__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 01:11 PM   #174
John Albert
Illuminator
 
John Albert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,143
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Your impeccable reasoning has convinced me - there is no freedom in Android.




...and people living under apartheid governments enjoy total freedom and all civil rights, just because somebody somewhere might not care about their rights.
__________________
“In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination, from authorities who have not themselves examined the questions at issue but have taken them at second-hand from other non-examiners, whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing.”
—Mark Twain
John Albert is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 03:39 PM   #175
oody
Graduate Poster
 
oody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 1,208
Apropos to this topic, a friend of mine posted today on Facebook:
Originally Posted by oody's friend
Thank you Apple (not really) for deciding you didn't want to allow the Android market to carry your app, iFitness, any longer. Subsequently, your app, which I purchased, and all 8mos. of my workout records & weights info is now gone. I'm not very happy, and I hate your monopoly even more.
Is there something she is missing that might help her out with this?

ETA: I'd initially misread this and thought she was saying Apple took it off its own market. Wrangling to influence how someone markets their app seems like fair game.

Last edited by oody; 20th December 2012 at 05:30 PM.
oody is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 03:50 PM   #176
Wangler
Master Poster
 
Wangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: OH State
Posts: 2,230
Originally Posted by John Albert View Post
The discussion concerns user freedom and developer freedom, which are objective conditions; the discussion is larger than your own personal opinions about which apps you prefer to use. Your own personal preferences have no bearing on the validity of the claim that Apple imposes extremely restrictive policies on developers, and a total lockdown of their device against free, open and independent development.
Good post, John.

If I could step in, I think that part of what frustrates SMVC is the fact that he has come across people who like Android, and assume an air of authority or importance based upon their personal preferences...as if they assume that because they like Android freedom, SMVC's preferences for iOS are automatically invalidated.

I don't know anyone here who has said such, and I think that for the most part the posters here have been sympathetic to SMVC over the boorish behavior of those individuals favoring Android with whom SMVC has conversed.

Last edited by Wangler; 20th December 2012 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Fixed my syntax
Wangler is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 04:54 PM   #177
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit
 
Blue Mountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Waging war on woo-woo in Winnipeg
Posts: 4,082
Originally Posted by oody
Apropos to this topic, a friend of mine posted today on Facebook:
Originally Posted by oody's friend
Thank you Apple (not really) for deciding you didn't want to allow the Android market to carry your app, iFitness, any longer. Subsequently, your app, which I purchased, and all 8mos. of my workout records & weights info is now gone. I'm not very happy, and I hate your monopoly even more.
Is there something she is missing that might help her out with this?
What? How did this come about? Did Apple lean on the developer of iFitness and say, "Unless you take it off Google Play, we'll take it off iTunes?"
__________________
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 05:07 PM   #178
Alan
Illuminator
 
Alan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 3,716
The iFitness name could rub Apple the wrong way regarding market confusion. A cease and desist message is plausible.
Alan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 05:10 PM   #179
oody
Graduate Poster
 
oody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 1,208
Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
What? How did this come about? Did Apple lean on the developer of iFitness and say, "Unless you take it off Google Play, we'll take it off iTunes?"
My mistake. I thought she was saying they'd taken it off of their own Itunes market, which would have been alarming.

Wrangling to influence how someone markets their app, if that's what is happening, seems like fair game.

Last edited by oody; 20th December 2012 at 05:35 PM.
oody is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 07:24 PM   #180
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator
 
WildCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Albany Park, Chicago
Posts: 53,863
Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
You mentioned this in the previous apple vs. android thread. I don't understand the argument. If you use streaming audio in apple or android, the result is the same. So why mention it?
Because with an Android you can keep craploads of music on a micro sd card inserted in the micro sd slot.

Try that with an Apple!
WildCat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 08:46 PM   #181
AJM8125
NWO Black Ops
Tagger
 
AJM8125's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Adrift
Posts: 16,871
Originally Posted by WildCat View Post
Try that with an Apple!
Or the Nokia 920...

Or the HTC One X...

Or the Nexus 4...

etc.
AJM8125 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 09:02 PM   #182
GraculusTheGreenBird
Thinker
 
GraculusTheGreenBird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 136
Originally Posted by SatansMaleVoiceChoir View Post
That is PRECISELY what I am getting at. Freedom to do something which I have no intention of doing/couldn't do/don't even know exists is not freedom as far as I am concerned; what is the difference between not doing something because someone else forbids it, and not doing something because I have no intention, or doing it is of no value to me?
Because one is freedom, the other is personal preference. That you still refuse to admit this when it has been pointed out to you multiple times speaks volumes about your intentions in this debate.

I was the one who brought up Live Wallpapers. They allow a full OpenGL 3d or 2d canvas to be displayed behind the home screen, so that instead of a static, boring background you can display anything the developers can come up with. Full weather conditions, 3d aqariums, solar system simulations, abstract patterns, jungle waterfalls, the list is endless.

Now, they are incredibly popular on the Android app store and most phones come with several already built in, but without trying this you have decided that they are not for you, and would be distracting, annoying or otherwise not useful. But unfortunately you will never get to find out, because Apple have deemed that Live Wallpapers are not allowed on iOS devices.

You do not have the freedom to install a Live Wallpaper. Android owners do have the freedom.

You are trolling.
GraculusTheGreenBird is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 10:05 PM   #183
merentha
Critical Thinker
 
merentha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 489
Originally Posted by AJM8125 View Post
Or the Nokia 920...

Or the HTC One X...

Or the Nexus 4...

etc.
This has already been addressed in several posts, assuming some of the folks who are trying to score cheap points for Apple have even bothered to read (or have Siri read it out to them if they can't). The freedom of Android is that I can choose to buy the handset that best fits my need because I am not tied down to any one manufacturer. If swappable batteries and SD card slots are important to me, I can go for the S3. If they aren't, I can choose the ones above.

With Apple, if I want swappable batteries and SD card slots, I can go for the...(sound of crickets chirping).

Based on the behaviour on this thread, I have to wonder if some of the perceived Android-fan hostilities faced by the OP might not have been of his own doing. It is impossible to get a fair discussion going when one side is determined to rebut any argument with an attitude of "heads I win; tails you lose!"
merentha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 10:42 PM   #184
carlitos
"más divertido"
 
carlitos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 13,906
Originally Posted by WildCat View Post
Because with an Android you can keep craploads of music on a micro sd card inserted in the micro sd slot.

Try that with an Apple!
Ok. I have lots of different devices, and listen to lots of music. But "on micro SD cards" is not a place where I keep music. Not have I heard of others doing so.

I have music on my ipod, iPhone, Cds, Vinyl, spotify, etc. Have you considered that this (music on micro SD) might not be something that most folks do?
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 10:57 PM   #185
merentha
Critical Thinker
 
merentha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 489
Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Ok. I have lots of different devices, and listen to lots of music. But "on micro SD cards" is not a place where I keep music. Not have I heard of others doing so.

I have music on my ipod, iPhone, Cds, Vinyl, spotify, etc. Have you considered that this (music on micro SD) might not be something that most folks do?
It's not about what most folks do. It's about the choices that folks are given. Maybe I'm not most folks, but I do keep craploads of music, videos, photos and miscellaneous files on microSD cards. When I decide to switch phones or tablets, I just plug in the card from the old to the new device instead of slowly synching the two via PC or cloud storage. And I also avoid paying extra to purchase the device model with the extra internal storage space at a premium much higher than the cost of the microSD card.
merentha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 11:18 PM   #186
OnlyTellsTruths
 
OnlyTellsTruths's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 7,644
Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Have you considered that this (music on micro SD) might not be something that most folks do?

No offense, but it seems you're the one that hasn't considered that. What in the world do you think people are buying these things by the truckloads for???

They are mostly used for media (music, video, pictures).

Music on micro SD cards is definitely something that tons of people are doing. (And pictures, movies, TV shows, etc.) It's incredibly handy.

Perhaps you didn't notice because you have an iPhone?

With micro SD cards you could have a huge library of movies in a very small space. Without micro SD cards you would have to have access to high speed internet and unlimited bandwidth for that kind of library to be available as easily.
__________________
________________________
OnlyTellsTruths is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 12:43 AM   #187
OnlyTellsTruths
 
OnlyTellsTruths's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 7,644
Great example of how Apple does not want to be associated with others:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57...table-charger/
__________________
________________________
OnlyTellsTruths is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 01:32 AM   #188
mbp
Muse
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Copenhagen
Posts: 533
Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Ok. I have lots of different devices, and listen to lots of music. But "on micro SD cards" is not a place where I keep music.
When the devices you have don't give you that option it's hardly surprising you're not using it.

I've got no idea how many people use sd cards for music, but I certainly do.
mbp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 02:25 AM   #189
Darat
Lackey
JREF Forum Liaison
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 67,489
I know plenty of people that use them for videos - especially ones they take on holiday when they don't have access to the cloud etc. Throw a large say 32Gb oe even 64Gb card into your suitcase and you're not having to worry about running out of storage.
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 03:00 AM   #190
Fishstick
Graduate Poster
 
Fishstick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,605
Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Ok. I have lots of different devices, and listen to lots of music. But "on micro SD cards" is not a place where I keep music. Not have I heard of others doing so.

I have music on my ipod, iPhone, Cds, Vinyl, spotify, etc. Have you considered that this (music on micro SD) might not be something that most folks do?
If you use spotify to listen Offline, you need some place to store your offline playlists. Guess which media gets used for that!
Fishstick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 05:19 AM   #191
TheL8Elvis
Illuminator
 
TheL8Elvis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4,475
Originally Posted by OnlyTellsTruths View Post
No offense, but it seems you're the one that hasn't considered that. What in the world do you think people are buying these things by the truckloads for???

They are mostly used for media (music, video, pictures).

Music on micro SD cards is definitely something that tons of people are doing. (And pictures, movies, TV shows, etc.) It's incredibly handy.

Perhaps you didn't notice because you have an iPhone? http://forums.randi.org/images/smili...ns/boxedin.gif

With micro SD cards you could have a huge library of movies in a very small space. Without micro SD cards you would have to have access to high speed internet and unlimited bandwidth for that kind of library to be available as easily.
Evidence required for the hilited parts.
TheL8Elvis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 05:26 AM   #192
Darat
Lackey
JREF Forum Liaison
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 67,489
http://www.prweb.com/releases/secure...web9677782.htm
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 05:36 AM   #193
varwoche
Philosopher
 
varwoche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Puget Sound
Posts: 7,614
Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis View Post
Evidence required for the hilited parts.
Me. My Android phone is my portable music player. I added a 60 gb card that cost about $75.

My music is in flac format, so I use Winamp as the player. (I'm very glad not to be using itunes.) When I want to add new music, I just plug the phone into a USB port of my computer that houses my full collection, and presto, the phone is a disk drive.

I've attained the portable music nirvana that I've been seeking for years.
__________________
To survive election season on a skeptics forum, one must understand Hymie-the-Robot (and/or Fat Jack)
varwoche is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 07:02 AM   #194
TheL8Elvis
Illuminator
 
TheL8Elvis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4,475
Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Me. My Android phone is my portable music player. I added a 60 gb card that cost about $75.

My music is in flac format, so I use Winamp as the player. (I'm very glad not to be using itunes.) When I want to add new music, I just plug the phone into a USB port of my computer that houses my full collection, and presto, the phone is a disk drive.

I've attained the portable music nirvana that I've been seeking for years.
I'm glad it works for you, but a personal anecdote does not equal truckloads of SD cards and tons of people storing their music on SD cards.

My experience tells me that is the exception, not the rule, until I see evidence otherwise.

But, this is entirely off topic, I apologize for posting earlier and won't continue this here.
TheL8Elvis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 07:06 AM   #195
carlitos
"más divertido"
 
carlitos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 13,906
Originally Posted by Fishstick View Post
If you use spotify to listen Offline, you need some place to store your offline playlists. Guess which media gets used for that!
I don't have to guess. Its My iPhone.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 07:09 AM   #196
TheL8Elvis
Illuminator
 
TheL8Elvis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4,475
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Yes, I will concede that people buy SD cards for their devices. Cameras, phones, tablets, games, etc.

I think what is being claimed is a narrower user than my experience tells me is happening, but I as I said in my other post, I think it's getting off topic. I'd be happy to continue in a more appropriate place.
TheL8Elvis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 07:09 AM   #197
carlitos
"más divertido"
 
carlitos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 13,906
Thanks for all of anecdotes about the SD card. It's just something that I had never used for music, even when I used devices that would take removable storage. Apparently it's more common than I thought. I had used them in cameras before.

I'm actually not super happy with Apple, because I realized that I have ripped several hundred CDs and records using the proprietary Apple format. Now I have to download a program that will convert these to MP3. Any recommendations would be welcome. If this is off-topic, send me a PM.

Last edited by carlitos; 21st December 2012 at 07:18 AM.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 07:14 AM   #198
Steve
Graduate Poster
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Surrey BC
Posts: 1,602
Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis View Post
I'm glad it works for you, but a personal anecdote does not equal truckloads of SD cards and tons of people storing their music on SD cards.

My experience tells me that is the exception, not the rule, until I see evidence otherwise.

But, this is entirely off topic, I apologize for posting earlier and won't continue this here.
Did you see Darat's link two posts above yours?
__________________
Caption from and old New Yorker cartoon - Why am I shouting? Because I'm wrong!"
Steve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 07:24 AM   #199
TheL8Elvis
Illuminator
 
TheL8Elvis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4,475
Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Thanks for all of anecdotes about the SD card. It's just something that I had never used for music, even when I used devices that would take removable storage. Apparently it's more common than I thought. I had used them in cameras before.

I'm actually not super happy with Apple, because I realized that I have ripped several hundred CDs and records using the proprietary Apple format. Now I have to download a program that will convert these to MP3. Any recommendations would be welcome. If this is off-topic, send me a PM.
Which proprietary apple format is that ???

ETA: AAC is not an 'apple' format, if that's what you are talking about...

Last edited by TheL8Elvis; 21st December 2012 at 07:57 AM.
TheL8Elvis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 07:38 AM   #200
carlitos
"más divertido"
 
carlitos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 13,906
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Did you see Darat's link two posts above yours?
That's a press release.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

JREF Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:57 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2001-2013, James Randi Educational Foundation. All Rights Reserved.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.