JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Old 17th December 2012, 11:48 PM   #81
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

You can buy all the Tannerite you want in almost every state as far as I know. If you want to blow something up, it's really no problem.

Makes nice big explosions when shot with most rifles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tannerite

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2012, 12:32 AM   #82
Redtail
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by R.Mackey View Post
Pretty sure the commander can override driver controls and fire the coax. Surely we have some tankers on the board who could clear that up, though.

In any case, this thread was obviously in jest, but there are ways to acquire a functional armored vehicle. They're just absurdly expensive, and much easier in some states than others.
We do... Either Quad Or UC...
Old 18th December 2012, 12:40 AM   #83
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Pretty sure the commander can override driver controls and fire the coax. Surely we have some tankers on the board who could clear that up, though.

In any case, this thread was obviously in jest, but there are ways to acquire a functional armored vehicle. They're just absurdly expensive, and much easier in some states than others.
Interestingly people seem to have missed the point of this thread.

Hint: It is not about what is and isn't legal.
Old 18th December 2012, 01:54 AM   #84
Cain
Straussian

Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
No I did not say that. I have always been careful to say that purchasing or making title 1 firearms is different than making or buying title 2 firearms. If you would stop trolling for a while you would notice this.
I said I wanted to go to a bomb store to buy bombs and grenades.
You came back with an "obvious" link for purchasing ammonium nitrate, a link you apparently did not bother to check out because it was for Australia, and then the one you summoned for the U.S. talked about authorized and licensed personnel.

Quote:
Do you have any evidence that it is difficult to purchase ammonium nitrate?
I suppose it depends on how we define difficult. I recall articles complaining that it was still too easy to obtain after the Oklahoma atrocities, yet you're not even taking about fertilizer but industrial-grade stuff, which I'm guessing is significantly more difficult still. You made this stink about how easy it was and a simple google search provided all your answers, which I guess is your general approach to finding information.

You're also missing the point: I want a bomb that can be easily carried and/or thrown (for women and seniors who also want to have fun but don't lift heavy in the gym like Cain). Preferably I want to buy my bomb at a local bomb store. There are several gun shops within driving distance of me. I only similar kinds of bomb shops. With choices. Options. I am however absolutely dead-set against any bomb store that adopts a variation on the saying, "we're the bomb!"
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2012, 02:12 AM   #85
MikeG
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
.........Let's go back 5,000 years, since before human beings.

Either/ or. Which is it to be?

Mike
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2012, 02:28 AM   #86
nvidiot
Botanical Jedi

Non liquid forms of ammonium nitrate are highly regulated in Australia. I need an ASIO clearance to even purchase it in the granulated form. And then I need to provide lots of information about how it's stored, who has access to it yada yada yada.

Most hydroponic industries moved to liquid forms or just went to other chemistry.
Old 18th December 2012, 02:51 AM   #87
Doctor Plop
Suspended

Have never understood the American obsession with their "right" to bear arms.
Been there several times and everyone just has human arms.

Last edited by Doctor Plop; 18th December 2012 at 02:53 AM.
Doctor Plop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2012, 03:05 AM   #88
Didaktylos
Critical Thinker

I think the main point about owning your own tank is that you would never need to worry about other bad drivers again ...
Old 18th December 2012, 04:11 AM   #89
catsmate1
Penultimate Amazing

Because you're not the Alaskan State Police.................

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
I don't know that there are any laws stopping you from owning one presently, if you've got the cash of course. The guy that bought my hot rod has a demilitarized F-14 and a Russian Mig. So if he could own and fly the Cold War collection, I don't know why you couldn't own your dream tank.
You'd need to comply with relevant laws regarding the tracks, register the cannon (and other weapons) and ammunition.
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
I want to own a battle tank with a fully operational 120mm smoothbore main weapon and all the ammunition I can buy from sketchy Russian dudes.
Actually most tanks from "sketchy Russian dudes" would have Soviet 125mm guns (or earlier).
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2012, 04:17 AM   #90
ohms
Muse

The MoD has some Type 22 Frigates up for sale if you wish to put in a bid.
Old 18th December 2012, 09:28 PM   #91
Battman
Thinker

<snip>

So why should I not be allowed to own a battle tank? Or armored elephants for that matter.

<snip>
You can't own a battle tank while living in California. It won't meet emission requirements.
Old 18th December 2012, 09:53 PM   #92
Cain
Straussian

Actually, these responses are quite good. Apparently the fact one can theoretically own a tank (or obtain ammonium nitrate) is enough. I guess it's OK to tax firearms so they cost the same as the going rate for a tank. If somebody complains that such taxes make weaponry accessible only to the rich, tell them life is not fair. Just make more money. Impose licensing restrictions on guns not unlike those seen for explosives. Whiners can be directed to this thread (and Google).
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2012, 11:20 PM   #93
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Of course you should. Tanks don't kill people, people kill people.

Quote:
Oh that is just ridiculous. Battle tanks are what we need to make society safer. Imagine if teachers conducted their classes from inside tanks with the main gun sighted in on the students! Schools would never be more secure (and Bobby would sure as hell stop chewing gum).
Imagine a world in which the US Army was the only operator of tanks, gunships and cruise missiles in the USA! It'd be a dictatorship in no time! I demand an IFV to Defend My Country(TM)!

Last edited by Safe-Keeper; 18th December 2012 at 11:22 PM.
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2012, 02:19 PM   #94
Ranb
Philosopher

I said I wanted to go to a bomb store to buy bombs and grenades.
You came back with an "obvious" link for purchasing ammonium nitrate, a link you apparently did not bother to check out because it was for Australia, and then the one you summoned for the U.S. talked about authorized and licensed personnel.
I posted a link to a US source but it was moved to AAH.

You're also missing the point: I want a bomb that can be easily carried and/or thrown ...
It is hard to sound off a reply against the noise of your moving goalposts. Go find your own bomb stores.

Ranb
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2012, 03:01 PM   #95
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

I want to own a battle tank with a fully operational 120mm smoothbore main weapon and all the ammunition I can buy from sketchy Russian dudes.

I think I should be allowed to own one based on the following:
They are so cool!
They'd be way more useful in opposing a tyrannical government than assault weapons.
I would be able to assist in fighting off dragons or other mythical super beasts should they appear suddenly.
Did I mention how cool they are?
A town with guys operating battle tanks is safer from surprise attacks by North Korea.
Purse snatchers can get vaporized so goodbye petty crime!
They are super duper cool!
I know you probably think I shouldn't because they are so dangerous but I totally promise that I would take all sorts of classes on how to operate it and use the main weapon.* I also promise to never use it for a mass murder spree. And why should I be deprived a tank just because some other wacko might use it for terrible purposes? That's punishing me for their sins! After all if we only properly took care of the mentally ill we'd have nothing to fear. Main battle tanks for everyone!

So why should I not be allowed to own a battle tank? Or armored elephants for that matter.

*That, of course, is a lie. Like many gun owners I will invest zero time and energy into learning how to use it safely. I only made that promise so I can get that uber cool battle tank. Any laws requiring me to get training will be opposed by the NTA (National Tank Association) as an infringement of my rights.
How's your credit rating???

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2012, 03:06 PM   #96
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

No, we get the point. you have made it in other posts. No matter how many times you open another post on it it will not change the total effective force of your argument AND: the people who agree will continue to agree and those of us who don't will continue not to.

Wash this space!

fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2012, 03:12 PM   #97
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
I want a nuclear bomb. I might need one if a rapist breaks into my house one night. What about my right to protect myself?
Hand grenade way better and won't kill you and your neighbors for a good distance when you use it carefully............

Wash this space!

Last edited by fuelair; 19th December 2012 at 04:39 PM. Reason: dylecticed distance....now fixed it!!
Old 19th December 2012, 03:18 PM   #98
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Does it have a fully operational 120mm smoothbore cannon? And where can I get armor penetrating sabot rounds? Or High Explosive Anti Tank rounds for that matter?

Oh that is just ridiculous. Battle tanks are what we need to make society safer. Imagine if teachers conducted their classes from inside tanks with the main gun sighted in on the students! Schools would never be more secure (and Bobby would sure as hell stop chewing gum).

Pfft. Laws can be changed. We simply pass a new amendment that says everyone gets a tank with fully operational weaponry if they want one.

I mean if more guns make us safer than having dozens of guys with battle tanks in every town would make crime a thing of the past. Would you mug a lady if there was some dude with a giant battle tank loaded with ammunition just sitting by the park?
Travis, this is making you look sillier and sillier. Johnathan Swift MIGHT have pulled this off successfully. You are a nice person trying hard - not Johnathan Swift. Of course, neither am I.

Wash this space!

Old 19th December 2012, 03:22 PM   #99
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

I'm not the one going on CNN and arguing that we need to have more guns in our schools to keep them safe. I'm just saying that if that is true then battle tanks are even better.

Why would they not be better?
Too large, too great an effect from individual shells fired, insufficient control of fire from MG(s), insufficient visual for individual fire.................... This is a job for either Special Tactics units or basic infantry. Or police, or someone trained to use their weapon effectively.

Wash this space!

Old 19th December 2012, 03:36 PM   #100
Cain
Straussian

I posted a link to a US source but it was moved to AAH.
How is this a response to my comment?

Quote:
It is hard to sound off a reply against the noise of your moving goalposts. Go find your own bomb stores.
This is a fabrication, and I wonder if you even believe it yourself. Document, with quotes, how my position has substantively changed.Here's a link to my first post in this thread:
http://forums.randi.org/showpost.php...0&postcount=36

And here's the snippet from which my argument follows:
Quote:
Screw tanks. According to Scalia, the wisest and least biased Justice, the Constitution clearly says keep and BEAR arms. It must be an arm one can bear, which is why, he says, a Civil War era cannon is verboten. HOWEVER, he says an over-the-shoulder rocket launcher remains "...undecided."
I think this is yet another instance where you failed to read for comprehension...
Old 19th December 2012, 03:45 PM   #101
Ranb
Philosopher

Well excuse me because I can't tell the difference between your irony (not allowed to call it trolling) and everything else you post.

You left something out
Quote:
Right now it's illegal to make bombs, yet people do it anyway. Everyday.
How is this claim different than a lie?

Ranb

Last edited by Ranb; 19th December 2012 at 04:02 PM.
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2012, 04:11 PM   #102
Cain
Straussian

Well excuse me because I can't tell the difference between your irony (not allowed to call it trolling) and everything else you post.
I don't think it's difficult to see the sarcasm once you know it's there, but yeah, way to take personal responsibility: it's my fault. It's my fault that you falsely accused me of moving the goal posts even though I don't see how that's possible considering I've been consistent throughout...

Quote:
How is this claim different than a lie?
Today someone named Olivia drove to work. I don't personally know any Olivias, therefore I am lying. You caught me. I'm going to Internet Jail.
Old 19th December 2012, 04:16 PM   #103
StankApe
Banned

maybe not jail, but welcome to ignore
StankApe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2012, 04:21 PM   #104
Ranb
Philosopher

You have been posting frequently on threads related to the recent shooting. But it seems many of those posts are there to provoke an emotional response or disrupt the discussion and contain claims that no rational person would believe. It is in this way that you are consistent. You are building your own jail with your sad posts; hope you enjoy the view from inside.

Ranb
Old 19th December 2012, 04:29 PM   #105
Cain
Straussian

I know. Satire has a long and ignoble history, one that reached a low point with Swift -- under the cover of anonymity -- proposed the Irish sell their babies. It's like he just wanted to provoke an emotional reaction rather than critical thought. And if this board is about anything, as your posts testify, it's critical thought.
Old 19th December 2012, 06:02 PM   #106
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

An interesting idea. How are we going to use this to protect small towns from a North Korean invasion?

No, maybe we don't need to know that. After all if having guns in the hands of every citizen irrespective of their competency or understanding of said weapons somehow makes us all safer then truck bombs everywhere must also somehow make us magically safer.
I'm not saying the danger and fear of guns you have is wrong. They're dangerous. I'm saying the safety you feel without them is misplaced. Security through obscurity simply isn't going to work in the US for firearms, just like with fertilizer.
tyr_13 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 02:33 PM   #107
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

You left something out How is this claim different than a lie?

Ranb
Hate to be argumentative, but even if you limit it to the US, there are people making bombs (with acid bombs the most normal) every day (in the practical meaning of the phrase). And, with materials most anyone can get it is quite possible and not at all dangerous to the reasonably careful maker) to make many types of destructive toys. As well as initiators fro same - and my knowledge of it just from applying simple chemistry and physics to materials science is comparatively small - to those who spend real time on it.

It is possible that I misinterpret because for some reason I can't see Cain's posts on my computer other than what someone quotes of them, but.....

Wash this space!

Old 20th December 2012, 02:49 PM   #108
Polaris
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Didaktylos View Post
I think the main point about owning your own tank is that you would never need to worry about other bad drivers again ...
Except when it came time to hose off the road wheels.
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 06:45 PM   #109
Quad4_72
AI-EE-YAH!

No, the commander cannot override the driver controls and drive the tank. When using the TC Override, the commander can take control of the turret and fire either the main gun or the coax. Was that your question?
Looks like the one on top has a magazine, thus needs less reloading. Also, the muzzle shroud makes it less likely for a spree killer to burn his hands. The pistol grip makes it more comfortable for the spree killer to shoot. thaiboxerken
Quad4_72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 06:04 AM   #110
varwoche
Philosopher

Screw tanks. According to Scalia, the wisest and least biased Justice, the Constitution clearly says keep and BEAR arms. It must be an arm one can bear, which is why, he says, a Civil War era cannon is verboten. HOWEVER, he says an over-the-shoulder rocket launcher remains "...undecided." ...
If over-the-shoulder rocket launchers are banned, only criminals will have over-the-shoulder rocket launchers.

There's a simple solution at hand though it may require a tweak to Obamacare:
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the JREF. The JREF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 21st December 2012, 06:09 AM   #111
Dcdrac
Philosopher

getting me one of these jsut in case that nasty Gubermint takes away my popgun

http://www.aviationclassifieds.com/a...6776-5-0-MI+24
Dcdrac is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 07:18 AM   #112
mikeyx
Banned

They are so cool!
They'd be way more useful in opposing a tyrannical government than assault weapons.
I would be able to assist in fighting off dragons or other mythical super beasts should they appear suddenly.
A town with guys operating battle tanks is safer from surprise attacks by North Korea.
I know you probably think I shouldn't because they are so dangerous but I totally promise that I would take all sorts of classes on how to operate it and use the main weapon.* I also promise to never use it for a mass murder spree. And why should I be deprived a tank just because some other wacko might use it for terrible purposes? That's punishing me for their sins! After all if we only properly took care of the mentally ill we'd have nothing to fear. Main battle tanks for everyone!

*That, of course, is a lie. Like many gun owners I will invest zero time and energy into learning how to use it safely. I only made that promise so I can get that uber cool battle tank. Any laws requiring me to get training will be opposed by the NTA (National Tank Association) as an infringement of my rights.
Your tank is dumb, big and slow. My predator drone will handle it easily.
mikeyx is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 08:37 AM   #113
Ladewig
Hipster alien

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
owning a battle tank thing, another pipe dream like high speed rail?
Armored high-speed rail !

Next stop: awesomeland.
Is the JREF message board training wheels for people who hope to one day troll other message boards? It is not that hard to get us to believe you. We are not the major leagues or even the minor leagues. We are Pee-Wee baseball. If you love striking out 10-year-olds, then you'll love trolling our board.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 09:39 AM   #114
mikeyx
Banned

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post

with cow catcher!
mikeyx is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 05:01 PM   #115
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post

Perfect! Next up, armored high-speed rail jousting!
Old 21st December 2012, 05:23 PM   #116
Montag451
Critical Thinker

Travis you are correct on one point. If a gun is ok then so should a tank

However on the second point you simply think too small. What about a battleship? Fight aliens and everything.
Montag451 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 05:58 PM   #117
hodgy
Muse

Cavalry (i.e. tank) person speaking here - the commander does not generally have the ability to override the driver. He would though, have some control over the main gun (i.e. the 120mm), the coax and the commander's machine gun.
Old 21st December 2012, 06:14 PM   #118
hodgy
Muse

Originally Posted by hodgy View Post
Cavalry (i.e. tank) person speaking here - the commander does not generally have the ability to override the driver. He would though, have some control over the main gun (i.e. the 120mm), the coax and the commander's machine gun.
Noting that Quad4_72 beat me to it. Not sure if he's proper cavalry or just some armoured infantry so-and-so - Quad4_72?
Old 21st December 2012, 07:04 PM   #119
Quad4_72
AI-EE-YAH!

Originally Posted by hodgy View Post
Noting that Quad4_72 beat me to it. Not sure if he's proper cavalry or just some armoured infantry so-and-so - Quad4_72?
I am an Armored Cavalry Officer. I have been a tank platoon leader, scout platoon leader, 19K Executive Officer, and currently a 19D OSUT Commander.
Looks like the one on top has a magazine, thus needs less reloading. Also, the muzzle shroud makes it less likely for a spree killer to burn his hands. The pistol grip makes it more comfortable for the spree killer to shoot. thaiboxerken
Quad4_72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 07:36 PM   #120
Loosekannon
New Blood

let's see the colour of your cash?
in other words,
Can you Pay for the Tank of your choice? Do you have the money?
Till you have cash in hand it's not really much of an issue is it?

They are so cool!

Loosekannon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

JREF Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events