IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags medicine

Old 21st June 2004, 04:01 PM   #1
zakur
Illuminator

Alternative medicine - What's the harm?

Woman kills children
Quote:
On the morning of June 12, Charlene Dorcy loaded 2-year-old Brittney and 4-year-old Jessica into her white Toyota and drove them more than 80 miles to an abandoned rock quarry. She made them sit on the ground and then shot them with her husband's .22-caliber rifle.

[...]

In 1997, she was interviewed anonymously by The Columbian newspaper in Vancouver for a feature on the stigma of mental illness. The story called Charlene a "success story" because she had managed to keep her schizophrenia in check through medication.

But soon after the article was published, Dorcy — with her husband's encouragement — stopped taking Tegretol, an anti-psychotic drug.

"The side effects included liver damage and losing your eyesight," Robert said. "I said: This isn't good."

Instead, she switched to St. John's Wort, an herbal remedy commonly used to treat depression. Studies suggest the herb can exacerbate psychosis in schizophrenics.
zakur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2004, 04:52 PM   #2
Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Nap, interrupted.

Sigh.

~~ Paul

RIP Mr. Skinny, Tim
Paul C. Anagnostopoulos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2004, 04:58 PM   #3
HarryKeogh

I have a feeling (just a feeling, no evidence) the main cause would be her not taking her prescription medicine rather than the herbal medicine excaberating her mental illness.

either way, goddamn shame.
HarryKeogh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2004, 05:08 PM   #4
Sloe_Bohemian
Critical Thinker

I've listened to 'believers' who begin a paragraph describing how wonderful it is for each person who dies... to be dead... because it must have been their time... and the soul lives on and and and and it's all good and all wonderful all the time...

... and before they finish the paragraph, they backtrack with loads of clarification that they never said you shouldn't go to a doctor too... it's just nice to be able to supplement medicine with something you feel good about. Or some variation of this "crap" that involves not blaming me for flushing your pills just because I told you cancer could be cured through prayer.

People don't usually get mad at the fireman who tells them that gasoline and candles are not a good way to soften babies skin and light the nursery (respectively). Yet they still resent rational thinkers.
Every event in life is more complex and intricate than is bourne out in the results. Like the Mona Lisa, the portrait is often simple and straight forward... but the painting of it shows true genius. And thus is such as is this letter, the sending of which involved more than just the simple words strung together here.... I yelled at the monitor too.
Sloe_Bohemian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2004, 05:37 PM   #5
HopkinsMedStudent
Thinker

Husband should be charged with wreckless endangerment.

He knew his wife was having trouble coping and yet he did nothing to try and help.

Shame on him.
HopkinsMedStudent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2004, 10:26 PM   #6
Art Vandelay
Illuminator

Wreckless endangerment? How is it wreckless endangerment? Sounds to me like to me like the woman was a wreck.
Art Vandelay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2004, 05:05 AM   #7
yersinia29
Thinker

Quote:
Originally posted by Art Vandelay
Wreckless endangerment? How is it wreckless endangerment? Sounds to me like to me like the woman was a wreck.
yes, and a mother in charge of full time care of 2 children who is a "wreck" is a threat to her children's well being.

Husband ignored that and pretended like everything was fine

Therefore he's guilty of wreckless endangerment on behalf of the kids.
yersinia29 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2004, 06:01 AM   #8
Doc Dish
Scholar

Quote:
Originally posted by yersinia29 yes, and a mother in charge of full time care of 2 children who is a "wreck" is a threat to her children's well being.

Husband ignored that and pretended like everything was fine

Therefore he's guilty of wreckless endangerment on behalf of the kids.
I'm guessing Art's making a pun on your misspelling of reckless

Quote:
"The side effects included liver damage and losing your eyesight," Robert said. "I said: This isn't good."
Not good? As opposed to the side effects not taking the Tegretol being the death of your wife and children, I suppose.

This is plain sad.
Old 22nd June 2004, 06:56 AM   #9
Benguin
Too Chilled For The Anti-Homeopathy Illuminati

Quote:
Originally posted by HarryKeogh
I have a feeling (just a feeling, no evidence) the main cause would be her not taking her prescription medicine rather than the herbal medicine excaberating her mental illness.

either way, goddamn shame.
I suspect it rather hinges on whether she'd decided she could manage without her medication or whether she was (had been?) convinced the St John's Wort would be just as good.

It also seems to have an interesting list of side-effects

100,000 medical doctors say go read this before quoting their articles. Probably.

Voltaire
"Atheism - the vice of a few intelligent people"
Benguin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2004, 06:47 PM   #10
Eos of the Eons
Mad Scientist

I have founds dads are quite brainless when it comes to kids being left in the care of ill moms. They just don't believe the moms could hurt them. All parents need to learn more about the dangers of mental illness. No child should be left with an unmedicated schizophrenic.
The Lateral Truth: An Apostate's Bible Stories by Rebecca Bradley, read it!
Eos of the Eons is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2004, 08:17 AM   #11
Jeff R
Scholar

I'm not willing to blame this one on either faith or herbs. I'll give the husband most of the blame for not doing everything he could to protect his children, but I think conventional medicine and society can share the blame with him.

Would this have happened if conventional medicine had better treatments for schizophrenia? Some sources suggest Tegretol is a last resort for schizophrenia treatment used when every other option fails. I have to wonder if it was really as effective for this woman as the article implies.

Should we as a society allow seriously mentally ill people to reproduce, and to raise children? This woman may successfully plead insanity. If a mentally ill person is not responsible for her own actions, how can we allow her to be responsible for two children?

Should we as a society do more to prevent mentally ill people from owning guns?
Jeff R is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2004, 10:36 AM   #12
HarryKeogh

and remember Alternative therapies can be pretty awful as well

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?cha...7783414B7F0000

plus this came out today (WHO warns of alt. medicines)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5270111/
HarryKeogh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology