JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Old 19th December 2012, 06:22 PM   #1
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Anti-Page-3 campaign

Or, because I don't want to see it, therefore you shouldn't be allowed to see it either.

British Tabloids Face Pressure Over Page 3

Quote:
LONDON — Lucy Holmes finally lost patience with Britain’s best-selling newspaper, The Sun, when she bought it to read about the Olympics last summer and discovered that the biggest picture of a woman inside was not a triumphant athlete but a young model wearing just her underpants, captioned “Emily from Warrington.”

Suddenly enraged by something that has been a constant feature of British life since 1970, she created the No More Page 3 campaign, dedicated to persuading The Sun to drop the topless images of young women on Page 3.

. . .

Ms. Holmes finds it hard to explain why bare breasts are still integral to The Sun, which is bought by 2.7 million people every day, remarking with genuine bemusement: “Boobs are not news.”

“Men don’t actually need to see young women’s nipples in order to learn about the news. Every man I’ve ever met has managed to get through The Six O’Clock News without them. And really if there was a desperate need for a nipple, well... we have the Internet now,” she argues on her campaign blog. “Page 3 has created a ‘Cor, look at the tits on that’ culture that I think is really problematic.”

Ms. Holmes says she is “not versed in feminist campaigning,” but for the past four months, she has all but abandoned her previous work as an actor and writer, pouring her energy instead into composing passionate letters and video appeals to The Sun’s editor, Dominic Mohan, attempting to persuade him that it is time to stop publishing topless images. She has had no reply but is gathering much support from elsewhere, and she now has more than 61,000 petition signatures.
Here's a novel suggestion: BUY A DIFFERENT BLEEDING NEWSPAPER!
Are there no tits-free newspapers in Britain?

Last edited by Puppycow; 19th December 2012 at 06:34 PM.
Puppycow is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2012, 06:25 PM   #2
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Does Ms Holmes realises that this protest will have exactly the opposite result she is looking for?

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2012, 06:34 PM   #3
Monketey Ghost
Body of Work

Cor, look at the tits on me!

SSKCAS, member in long standing
Monketey Ghost is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2012, 06:47 PM   #4
amensae
Suspended

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Or, because I don't want to see it, therefore you shouldn't be allowed to see it either.
You are allowed to see naked torsos. So far as I know, there are no laws stopping you. If public pressure is put on a newspaper to stop publishing photos of naked torsos, that has nothing to do with your right to see them.
It’s the “free speech” fallacy. Your right to free speech does not mean society has to accommodate your right.

Here’s a not-so-novel idea: People are allowed to protest about issues that don’t affect them directly. You don’t have to be poor to protest against poverty. You don’t have to own a pet to campaign against cruelty to pets. Etcetera.

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Does Ms Holmes realises that this protest will have exactly the opposite result she is looking for?
Really? What an odd thing to say.
amensae is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2012, 06:53 PM   #5
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by amensae View Post
Really? What an odd thing to say.
We're talking the Sun. What do you reckon, they will say after 40 years "oh good point, we'll just piss off our readership and stop our page 3 girls" or "you beaut, we'll put another one on page 4 just to get more outrage". My money's on the latter.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2012, 07:02 PM   #6
amensae
Suspended

We're talking the Sun. What do you reckon, they will say after 40 years "oh good point, we'll just piss off our readership and stop our page 3 girls" or "you beaut, we'll put another one on page 4 just to get more outrage". My money's on the latter.

I get your point. And certainly, if any rag can ooze from the gutter into the sewer, it would be the Sun.
amensae is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2012, 07:15 PM   #7
kerikiwi
Philosopher

Quite possibly. Is that a valid reason to not protest?
Slavery went on for a good long time...
kerikiwi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2012, 07:15 PM   #8
sol
New Blood

Well i guess we know who has ugly nipples.
sol is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2012, 07:17 PM   #9
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by kerikiwi View Post
I'm saying you pick your targets. The Sun is best ignored.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 19th December 2012, 07:17 PM   #10
amensae
Suspended

Originally Posted by sol View Post
Well i guess we know who has ugly nipples.

Well, I guess we know who has a profound emotional and intellectual impairment.
Old 19th December 2012, 07:23 PM   #11
Sam.I.Am
Illuminator

We used to love getting The Sun when we were in Scotland and it had absolutely nothing to do with the news that it may or may not have contained inside. Hey, what did you expect from a bunch of guys crowded into a steel tube anyway.

About my avatar.
Sam.I.Am is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2012, 07:35 PM   #12
ehcks
Master Poster

Uh... showing skin is like slavery now?

Please oh please just be my misunderstanding.
Old 19th December 2012, 07:36 PM   #13
Sledge
Grammaton Cleric

Quote:
Ms. Holmes finds it hard to explain why bare breasts are still integral to The Sun
Because people like them. I wonder if she can explain what her problem is, other than "Boobs are not news"? Seems a fairly pointless criticism of The Sun, most of the crap in it isn't "news."

"Science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it would stop" ~ Dara O'Briain.
Sledge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2012, 07:39 PM   #14
Sam.I.Am
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
Because people like them. I wonder if she can explain what her problem is, other than ""? Seems a fairly pointless criticism of The Sun, most of the crap in it isn't "news."
Tell Janet Jackson that...

About my avatar.
Sam.I.Am is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2012, 07:46 PM   #15
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Except that's not what she's saying.

She's saying “Page 3 has created a ‘Cor, look at the tits on that’ culture that I think is really problematic.” [source]

Her point is that page 3 has contributed to a culture where it's considered normal and appropriate to judge women based solely upon their physical attributes and secondary sexual characteristics - where the worth of a woman is based on whether you'd "do" her or not. And that this is problematic.
Jadey (in RvB game thread): I just want to take a moment to commend Arth on his role as Parasitic Alien Tumor. I think he really connected with the character and there were times when I forgot that he was just acting. That's the kind of talent that you can't teach.
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2012, 07:47 PM   #16
Ambrosia
Good of the Fods

I still can't figure out why womens chests need to be covered up, and mens chests don't.
Ambrosia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2012, 08:03 PM   #17
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ambrosia View Post
I still can't figure out why womens chests need to be covered up, and mens chests don't.
Really? You never noticed that the male libido responds to different sexual stimuli, and responds differently to stimuli, than the female libido?

It really never occurred to you that after several thousand (ten thousand? hundred thousand?) years of gender differences, civil society has evolved some fairly predictable conventions and taboos that take into account those differences?

I mean, I dunno, maybe it's your idea of a comedy routine, to play the ignoramus who doesn't see that men and women are different? Some kind of Jerry Seinfeld schtick maybe? "What is the deal with women and makeup?"

Something like that?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2012, 08:09 PM   #18
Stout
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Ambrosia View Post
Women don't need to be covered up in Canada. There was a big hullabaloo about topfreedom and it was decided, women could be topless.

I never see it outside of things like the world naked bike ride.

pity.
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2012, 08:16 PM   #19
kerikiwi
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ehcks View Post
Uh... showing skin is like slavery now?

Please oh please just be my misunderstanding.
Completely your misunderstanding.
The point was that the fact that something has been going on for a long time is not a valid reason to refrain from protesting against it.
kerikiwi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2012, 08:20 PM   #20
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

British Tabloids Face Pressure Over Page 3

They can take away my Page 3 when they can pry it from my cold, dead hands!!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2012, 08:23 PM   #21
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

And I don't even live in England!! But Page 3(s) are a ruddy institution!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2012, 08:26 PM   #22
GrouchoMarxist
Cowardly insulter of Buddhism

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
They can take away my Page 3 when they can pry it from my cold, dead hand!!!!
ftfy
Old 19th December 2012, 08:37 PM   #23
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

You are allowed to see naked torsos. So far as I know, there are no laws stopping you. If public pressure is put on a newspaper to stop publishing photos of naked torsos, that has nothing to do with your right to see them.
It’s the “free speech” fallacy. Your right to free speech does not mean society has to accommodate your right.
You are taking the word "allowed" I used too literally. That's not the sense in which I meant it. I'm aware that she's not advocating for a legal change, but she is advocating for something to be taken away that some people want to see.

Quote:
Here’s a not-so-novel idea: People are allowed to protest about issues that don’t affect them directly. You don’t have to be poor to protest against poverty. You don’t have to own a pet to campaign against cruelty to pets. Etcetera.
Of course. And by the same token, I am allowed to speak up in opposition to her protest.

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Except that's not what she's saying.

She's saying “Page 3 has created a ‘Cor, look at the tits on that’ culture that I think is really problematic.” [source]

Her point is that page 3 has contributed to a culture where it's considered normal and appropriate to judge women based solely upon their physical attributes and secondary sexual characteristics - where the worth of a woman is based on whether you'd "do" her or not. And that this is problematic.
The same thing I wrote above about taking the word "allowed" too literally.

Is it really considered "normal and appropriate to judge women based solely upon their physical attributes and secondary sexual characteristics"? I don't think so. It's just not factually true. However I see no reason why women and men can't be appreciated for their physical attributes and secondary sexual characteristics. Different people have different things to offer. Many women are appreciated in society for things that have nothing to do their their physical attributes and secondary sexual characteristics.
Old 19th December 2012, 08:53 PM   #24
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Completely your misunderstanding.
The point was that the fact that something has been going on for a long time is not a valid reason to refrain from protesting against it.
Another way of looking at it is that if something has been going on for a long time, you need a good reason to change it.

If Page 3 girls aren't bad like slavery, why should we change the status quo?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2012, 09:01 PM   #25
angrysoba
Philosophile

It's an immensely silly idea that campaigns like this can achieve the right kind of social conditioningTM and end the wrong kind of social conditioning insteadTM. She'll just have to get used to the idea that men like looking at tits.
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2012, 09:07 PM   #26
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

I'm pretty sure sol was just joking.
Old 19th December 2012, 09:14 PM   #27
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

And I guess we know who has really strong feelings about this subject.

Have you been concerned about Page 3 girls for a while, or did the sudden appearance of this thread trigger a response to something else that's been bothering you?
Old 19th December 2012, 09:25 PM   #28
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

The same thing I wrote above about taking the word "allowed" too literally.

Is it really considered "normal and appropriate to judge women based solely upon their physical attributes and secondary sexual characteristics"? I don't think so. It's just not factually true. However I see no reason why women and men can't be appreciated for their physical attributes and secondary sexual characteristics. Different people have different things to offer. Many women are appreciated in society for things that have nothing to do their their physical attributes and secondary sexual characteristics.
My point was that you had misrepresented her position by saying "because I don't want to see it, you therefore shouldn't be allowed to see it either". That was not her argument.
Jadey (in RvB game thread): I just want to take a moment to commend Arth on his role as Parasitic Alien Tumor. I think he really connected with the character and there were times when I forgot that he was just acting. That's the kind of talent that you can't teach.
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2012, 09:25 PM   #29
Babbylonian
Philosopher

I would hope it wouldn't be news to anyone but newspapers exist, and have existed for a long time, in order to entertain. Yes, they're supposed to inform along the way but the bottom line is the bottom line and if people don't enjoy a newspaper they won't buy it. I would think that if Page 3 attracts even a few who wouldn't otherwise pick up a newspaper - even The Sun - then it should be worth it, even if it irritates those sensitive souls that have never seen a breast before..

Also, there are still newspapers?
Old 19th December 2012, 09:43 PM   #30
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
My point was that you had misrepresented her position by saying "because I don't want to see it, you therefore shouldn't be allowed to see it either". That was not her argument.
She is advocating that it be taken away though.

Yes, people who want censor* things usually don't phrase their arguments that way, but that is what it boils down too. Whether it's Page 3 or cartoons of the Prophet Mohammed, or "blasphemy".

(*To avoid another argument over semantics, "censor" here is not meant in a narrow sense of making it illegal, but includes any attempt to remove some speech from public discourse through social pressure or economic pressure or by other means of pressure)

So I don't think I have misrepresented the essence of what she is advocating.
Old 19th December 2012, 09:49 PM   #31
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
I would hope it wouldn't be news to anyone but newspapers exist, and have existed for a long time, in order to entertain. Yes, they're supposed to inform along the way but the bottom line is the bottom line and if people don't enjoy a newspaper they won't buy it. I would think that if Page 3 attracts even a few who wouldn't otherwise pick up a newspaper - even The Sun - then it should be worth it, even if it irritates those sensitive souls that have never seen a breast before..

Also, there are still newspapers?
Well, it might not be news to some. I checked the Sun and cannot locate an article saying "Newspapers Exist ... In Order to Entertain". Of course, that's the Sun and maybe all the other tabloids have their news articles on "News is for Entertainment" on page 3, but they've given up page three to daily hooters.

I also seem to recall something in my journalism class... it's a little sketchy because that was a long time ago but I think it was something to the effect that newspapers should present, like, "news". Are boobs really news? Seeing as to how the average woman has slightly less than two of them and there are over 2 billion women in the world, I'd think they were fairly common.

The Sun is not exactly a model of journalistic integrity but as long as the discussion is whether or not tits are news, I'm going to opine that while they're certainly fun and can be rather entertaining when I'm in the right mindset, there's nothing newsworthy about them and certainly not front-of-the-paper newsworthy. Maybe a boob page next to the horoscope, bridge column, daily comic and cryptic crossword?

Don't you wish someone had slapped baby Hitler really really hard? [i] Dr. Buzzo 02/13 [i]
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2012, 10:39 PM   #32
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Well, it might not be news to some. I checked the Sun and cannot locate an article saying "Newspapers Exist ... In Order to Entertain". Of course, that's the Sun and maybe all the other tabloids have their news articles on "News is for Entertainment" on page 3, but they've given up page three to daily hooters.

I also seem to recall something in my journalism class... it's a little sketchy because that was a long time ago but I think it was something to the effect that newspapers should present, like, "news". Are boobs really news? Seeing as to how the average woman has slightly less than two of them and there are over 2 billion women in the world, I'd think they were fairly common.

The Sun is not exactly a model of journalistic integrity but as long as the discussion is whether or not tits are news, I'm going to opine that while they're certainly fun and can be rather entertaining when I'm in the right mindset, there's nothing newsworthy about them and certainly not front-of-the-paper newsworthy. Maybe a boob page next to the horoscope, bridge column, daily comic and cryptic crossword?
Your argument fails because as you yourself noted, most newspapers (probably all or almost all newspapers) also contain content that is clearly only for entertainment, not "news" such as a crossword puzzle or comic strips. Whether that content is on page 3 or another page is a minor issue.
Old 19th December 2012, 10:55 PM   #33
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post

Journalism need not be simply about news. Most newspapers, even "highbrow" ones such as the Telegraph, Guardian, New York Times and Washington Post have lifestyle sections, cooking recipes, "humourous" op-eds from top quality pundits such as George Will talking about his pet cat and various other bits of frivilous nonsense that anyone under the misapprehension that the Sun is a newspaper should also get to see and read about Sharon from Rochdale if they want, shouldn't they? And I highly doubt that being told it is not news is going to be a...er... clinching one.
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2012, 11:23 PM   #34
rikzilla
Ninja wave: Atomic fire-breath ninja

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
They can take away my Page 3 when they can pry it from my cold, dead hands!!!!
You mean "hand" don't you? BTW; have you heard there's an internet?

"inside Mr .Skinny lives a big man"
-pillory (18 Jan 2007)
rikzilla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 12:02 AM   #35
Noztradamus
Master Poster

Just to be quite clearm this is not Lucy Anne Holmes (the real one with the wiki page), singer. actress. writer, director, and Kylie Minogue impersonator.

This is Lucy-Anne Holmes who has a facebook called lucyanneholmes.co.uk, a little known English-language internet. (according to http://www.webwiki.com/lucyanneholmes.co.uk)

14 minutes and counting
Old 20th December 2012, 12:27 AM   #36
malicus
Graduate Poster

News just in: woman doesn't understand men's fascination with breasts.
malicus is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 12:47 AM   #37
Strawberry
Critical Thinker

A campaign against page 3 girls? How quaint. Is it part of the '70s revival?
Strawberry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 01:00 AM   #38
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader

Your argument fails because as you yourself noted, most newspapers (probably all or almost all newspapers) also contain content that is clearly only for entertainment, not "news" such as a crossword puzzle or comic strips. Whether that content is on page 3 or another page is a minor issue.
Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Journalism need not be simply about news. Most newspapers, even "highbrow" ones such as the Telegraph, Guardian, New York Times and Washington Post have lifestyle sections, cooking recipes, "humourous" op-eds from top quality pundits such as George Will talking about his pet cat and various other bits of frivilous nonsense that anyone under the misapprehension that the Sun is a newspaper should also get to see and read about Sharon from Rochdale if they want, shouldn't they? And I highly doubt that being told it is not news is going to be a...er... clinching one.
So put the boobs in the entertainment sections. Frankly, of the things wrong with the Sun, the positioning of their boobs feature is probably not the worst. But it's stupid, it's gratuitous and it's got no place in the areas of a newspaper where you'd expect to find news. That, plus the points raised by the woman who started the campaign.

Don't you wish someone had slapped baby Hitler really really hard? [i] Dr. Buzzo 02/13 [i]
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 02:06 AM   #39
DrDave
Illuminator

Don't the page 3 girls comment on the news. Therefore it's in the right section.

Anyway, The Sun doesn't have enough tits in for my liking. I get all my news from Razzle
DrDave is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 02:06 AM   #40
Didaktylos
Critical Thinker

There are many reasons not to buy the Sun (especially if you're a Merseysider - see the Hillsborough thread): the fact that it's owned by Rupert Murdoch being the most important.

JREF Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events