JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Old 24th December 2012, 08:29 PM   #1
12AX7
Glowing red!

Gun owners keeping it classy

Some folks have no shame at all. None.

Disgusting.

12AX7 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2012, 08:37 PM   #2
triforcharity
Banned

What's the problem that offends you so? It appears to be from an AZ gun club of some sort.
triforcharity is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2012, 08:41 PM   #3
GrouchoMarxist
Cowardly insulter of Buddhism

Originally Posted by triforcharity View Post
What's the problem that offends you so? It appears to be from an AZ gun club of some sort.
They're holding santa hostage you fool!
Old 24th December 2012, 08:44 PM   #4
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

If I had to guess, I'd say the small child holding a giant machine gun might be an issue for some people.

Click here to have it restored.

Or here.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2012, 08:44 PM   #5
GeeMack
Banned

Originally Posted by Elypsis44 View Post

Disgusting.

http://i1324.photobucket.com/albums/...SantaGuns1.jpg

The pretense of outrage and the feigned self righteous indignation bit aren't really working for ya there.
GeeMack is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2012, 08:46 PM   #6
Profanz
Muse

20 dead kids. But lets just keep being ignorant and stupid. Lets keep flaunting it like its some kind of patriotism.
Profanz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2012, 08:52 PM   #7
GeeMack
Banned

Originally Posted by Profanz View Post
20 dead kids. But lets just keep being ignorant and stupid. Lets keep flaunting it like its some kind of patriotism.

It's some family's holiday photo. For you to get dead kids out of that seems rather, shall we say, sick.
GeeMack is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2012, 08:57 PM   #8
banquetbear
Muse

Originally Posted by Elypsis44 View Post

Disgusting.

http://i1324.photobucket.com/albums/...SantaGuns1.jpg
...for starters: the images were shot last year:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...anta--arm.html

Secondly: whats your problem? I'm pro-gun control: but I don't see what disgusting about these images at all. Care to explain?
banquetbear is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2012, 09:00 PM   #9
StankApe
Banned

I've often thought that those most against guns are the ones most in need of them. Unless of course they don't act this smug and self righteous when among real people in the real world. The internet sure makes supermen out of some folks.

ETA: just a general observation and directed at anyone in particular
StankApe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2012, 09:12 PM   #10
GeeMack
Banned

Pool owners keeping it classy

Disgusting.

Old 24th December 2012, 09:15 PM   #11
Quad4_72
AI-EE-YAH!

I see absolutely nothing wrong with the gun picture. That MK 19 is pretty sweet. Anyone who finds fault with the picture likely does not have too much experience with firearms.
Looks like the one on top has a magazine, thus needs less reloading. Also, the muzzle shroud makes it less likely for a spree killer to burn his hands. The pistol grip makes it more comfortable for the spree killer to shoot. thaiboxerken
Quad4_72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2012, 09:25 PM   #12
triforcharity
Banned

Especially since none of them are loaded.....
triforcharity is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2012, 09:32 PM   #13
Profanz
Muse

The picture is ignorant. Ignorant and stupid. If you like ignorance that flies in the face of recent events than good for you.
Profanz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2012, 09:33 PM   #14
StankApe
Banned

I am impressed how perfectly posed the santa hat ended up under water though!
StankApe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2012, 09:34 PM   #15
triforcharity
Banned

The picture wasn't taken recently.

And my son and I and a few others are going shooting tomorrow. Maybe even my BIL's full auto AK. Ammo's kinda expensive though.

Is that ignorant and stupid? To enjoy the things that we enjoy?
Old 24th December 2012, 09:34 PM   #16
StankApe
Banned

The picture is ignorant. Ignorant and stupid. If you like ignorance that flies in the face of recent events than good for you.
Oh knock off the overly emotional sanctimonious ******** will you?

How does this apply to any current event other than "gun club produced a christmas card"
Old 24th December 2012, 09:36 PM   #17
cwalner
Philosopher

I don't find it disgusting. I would by lying however if I said I was not disturbed by that picture. seeing a child hold a gun bothers me, especially one that looks bigger than the child.
Old 24th December 2012, 09:38 PM   #18
Charlie Wilkes
Illuminator

Charlie Wilkes has a birthday
Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
If I had to guess, I'd say the small child holding a giant machine gun might be an issue for some people.
http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/story?i...1#.UNktkeTIUuc

Oct. 27, 2008
With his father and a firearms instructor standing nearby, an 8-year-old Connecticut boy shot himself in the head with a submachine gun yesterday, killing himself in an accident some say should never have happened.
Charlie Wilkes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2012, 09:43 PM   #19
triforcharity
Banned

http://www.webmd.com/parenting/news/...ise-among-kids

Researchers say more than 60,000 young children in the U.S. are treated in emergency rooms each year for accidental overdoses because they got into medicines when their parent or caregiver wasn’t looking.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Charlie Wilkes, What happened in 2008 is tragic, and shouldn't have happened. I'd never let my 8 year old shoot a 9mm Uzi. It's not smart. My son has shot a 20 Ga. Shotgun once, and a .22 rifle and revolver dozens of times. Nothing bigger than that. A 9mm Uzi has a LOT of drift when shooting, and giving it to a child is irresponsible. I feel that the father should have been (if he wasn't) charged with negligent homicide.
Old 24th December 2012, 09:59 PM   #20
Profanz
Muse

Originally Posted by StankApe View Post
Oh knock off the overly emotional sanctimonious ******** will you?

How does this apply to any current event other than "gun club produced a christmas card"
Oh I'm sanctimonious huh? I am the father of a child around the same age as the children killed by lax gun laws few weeks ago.

whatever

You can spew all your crap. But make no mistake about it. The changes are coming..

Sanctimonious or not.
Old 24th December 2012, 10:09 PM   #21
Charlie Wilkes
Illuminator

Charlie Wilkes has a birthday

And my son and I and a few others are going shooting tomorrow. Maybe even my BIL's full auto AK. Ammo's kinda expensive though.

Have fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9SGAMegijE
Charlie Wilkes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2012, 10:14 PM   #22
Quad4_72
AI-EE-YAH!

Sounds like a blast! Nothing like a Lead Christmas
Looks like the one on top has a magazine, thus needs less reloading. Also, the muzzle shroud makes it less likely for a spree killer to burn his hands. The pistol grip makes it more comfortable for the spree killer to shoot. thaiboxerken
Quad4_72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2012, 10:16 PM   #23
Profanz
Muse

Heeeeeeeee Hwaaaaaaaaa!!!!

LETS BE SPITEFUL STUPID!!!!!!
Old 24th December 2012, 10:22 PM   #24
StankApe
Banned

Oh I'm sanctimonious huh? I am the father of a child around the same age as the children killed by lax gun laws few weeks ago.

whatever

You can spew all your crap. But make no mistake about it. The changes are coming..

Sanctimonious or not.
yes, you are. and frankly, the age of your kid has nothing to do with this issue. It only explains the emotion fueling your lack of rational thinking.

Changes coming? maybe an AWB, nothing else will get through congress. Both parties have LOTS of constituents who would be more than happy to vote them out of office in a couple of years if they tried to do much more than that.

This assumption of yours that getting mad at gun people because some individual decided to get angry at the world is misplaced and solves nothing, will stop not one mass killing. Blame the carpenter, not the hammer.
Old 24th December 2012, 10:29 PM   #25
Redtail
Penultimate Amazing

Heeeeeeeee Hwaaaaaaaaa!!!!

LETS BE SPITEFUL STUPID!!!!!!
He said in a burst of emotion.
Old 24th December 2012, 10:44 PM   #26
BStrong
Philosopher

Originally Posted by cwalner View Post
I don't find it disgusting. I would by lying however if I said I was not disturbed by that picture. seeing a child hold a gun bothers me, especially one that looks bigger than the child.
I don't have the pic, but as a kid there were pics taken at a shoot with me in the prone position, shooting this:

I was 9 - 10 at the time iirc.

Amnesty registered 1919A6 MG from the Korean war.
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2012, 10:58 PM   #27
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

This assumption of yours that getting mad at gun people because some individual decided to get angry at the world is misplaced and solves nothing, will stop not one mass killing. Blame the carpenter, not the hammer.
I'll say it yet again, we banned the hammer in Australia and nobody has been nailed for 16 years.

And before somebody says "people have been murdered in Auatralia", I'm talking about mass murders by firearms.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2012, 11:02 PM   #28
StankApe
Banned

I've already proved they have, but you will just handwave it away again as usual
Old 24th December 2012, 11:04 PM   #29
Profanz
Muse

Originally Posted by Redtail View Post
He said in a burst of emotion.
What's wrong with emotion responding to those apologetic towards guns because of their own emotions?

They have no rational response except to pretend I'm over emotional. What if I am? You can still try to explain your nonsense. But you can't.
Old 24th December 2012, 11:05 PM   #30
Cylinder
Philosopher

And my son and I and a few others are going shooting tomorrow.
Good for you. Santa's dropping off a Remington Model 597 in pink camo and a couple of bricks of .22LR for my 11-year old daughter. We'll spend tommorow evening getting the thing zeroed and learning semi-auto safety. She's badly outgrown her Cricket single shot. Needless to say, the rabbits are in for a nasty suprise tommorow evening.
If you will not fight for the right when you can easily win without bloodshed ; if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than live as slaves. - Winston Churchill, The Gathering Storm
Cylinder is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2012, 11:26 PM   #31
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by Charlie Wilkes View Post
http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/story?i...1#.UNktkeTIUuc

Oct. 27, 2008
With his father and a firearms instructor standing nearby, an 8-year-old Connecticut boy shot himself in the head with a submachine gun yesterday, killing himself in an accident some say should never have happened.
I hope everyone involved/witnessing said it never should have happened - if it the one I am pretty sure it was, a similar (but just adults involved) had ocurred some 3 weeks before or after this one - both IIRC involved unfamiliarity of how smgs on full auto will rise.

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2012, 11:29 PM   #32
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

I've already proved they have, but you will just handwave it away again as usual
Another lie. Two deaths is not a massacre, by definition.

Look, I know how uncomfortable it must be for when faced with evidence that banning semi-automatics and handguns saves lives, but to pretend that this strategy has not been successful in Australia is simply ridiculous.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2012, 11:38 PM   #33
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

What's wrong with emotion responding to those apologetic towards guns because of their own emotions?

They have no rational response except to pretend I'm over emotional. What if I am? You can still try to explain your nonsense. But you can't.
Yes, we can and have. you do not wish to accept it - which is your right - but it does not change facts. We have explained and justified our end of the argument fully and completely. You are free to differ and obviously do. You will try to push politicians your way, I will do the same. I think you (and I) will see the same silliness that happened last time happen again, but before it happens at least one more "assault rifle" (your side's term for a weapon that no military would call that) with multiple high cap mags will have been sold thanks to this situation.And I am pretty sure the actual number is in the thousands if any stats I have been hearing are close to correct. My advantage is I don't want one based on the AR15/M-16.

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2012, 11:42 PM   #34
Ranb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Why do you think it is a giant machine gun? It appears to be an AR-15/M-16 with a silencer and grenade launcher under it. Not a giant and possibly not a machine gun. It might even be a movie prop.

Ranb
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2012, 11:48 PM   #35
StankApe
Banned

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Another lie. Two deaths is not a massacre, by definition.

Look, I know how uncomfortable it must be for when faced with evidence that banning semi-automatics and handguns saves lives, but to pretend that this strategy has not been successful in Australia is simply ridiculous.
nope wrong again! no parting gifts for you!

He tried to kill everyone (5 wounded remember) he was subdued before he could kill anymore (hence the belt loaded with handguns) the motive, the method all point to a mass killing. Only the result was different.

he profiles as a mass killer, his intent was to commit a mass killing. I don't understand why you don't get that? (oh wait, yes I do, it points out that your little bit of govt oppression didn't work)

as I pointed out in another thread, if a bomber is captured because his bomb fails to go off. This doesn't make him not a bomber. (nor the target not a bomb target) It makes him unsuccessful.

the hand waving away of that incident does not mean it didn't happen, nor does it mean it won't happen again.

If anyone is a liar, it is you.

Last edited by StankApe; 24th December 2012 at 11:49 PM.
Old 24th December 2012, 11:52 PM   #36
Profanz
Muse

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
Yes, we can and have. you do not wish to accept it - which is your right - but it does not change facts. We have explained and justified our end of the argument fully and completely. You are free to differ and obviously do. You will try to push politicians your way, I will do the same. I think you (and I) will see the same silliness that happened last time happen again, but before it happens at least one more "assault rifle" (your side's term for a weapon that no military would call that) with multiple high cap mags will have been sold thanks to this situation.And I am pretty sure the actual number is in the thousands if any stats I have been hearing are close to correct. My advantage is I don't want one based on the AR15/M-16.

Justified? Where? I don't think so. And again, less anyone forget... I am not anti-gun.

I am anti nutters getting guns and I'm anti individuals stocking up for the end of the world or the zombie apocalypse.
Old 24th December 2012, 11:54 PM   #37
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Giving a child a firearm is disgusting.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2012, 11:58 PM   #38
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

nope wrong again! no parting gifts for you!

He tried to kill everyone (5 wounded remember) he was subdued before he could kill anymore (hence the belt loaded with handguns) the motive, the method all point to a mass killing. Only the result was different.

he profiles as a mass killer, his intent was to commit a mass killing. I don't understand why you don't get that? (oh wait, yes I do, it points out that your little bit of govt oppression didn't work)

as I pointed out in another thread, if a bomber is captured because his bomb fails to go off. This doesn't make him not a bomber. (nor the target not a bomb target) It makes him unsuccessful.

the hand waving away of that incident does not mean it didn't happen, nor does it mean it won't happen again.

If anyone is a liar, it is you.
I'll just let the facts speak for themselves. Nobody (obviously other than you) calls killing two people mass murder. It's the intent that matters? Only in some weird gun toting world I'm unfamiliar with.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 25th December 2012, 12:04 AM   #39
StankApe
Banned

you apparently don't anything about the classifications of crime. the way criminals are profiled and the ways this information is used to help improve crime detection and prevention. I suspect people in your law enforcement do. and I suspect they would treat him as a mass killer when they interviewed him, qualified his crime and attempted to use this information to better educate law enforcement.

If a guy walks into a McDonalds with a belt full of guns and starts shooting like mad, missing often and is either subdued or killed before he kill anyone. It would not be considered a "homicide" but HE would be profiled and treated as a mass killer by law enforcement (psychologically). Just as people who get caught before the building burns down,are considered arsonists and those who mail bombs that don't go off are considered bombers. They may not have been successful in the completion of their crimes. But they "are" that criminal.
Old 25th December 2012, 12:13 AM   #40
DavidJames
Philosopher

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Giving a child a firearm is disgusting.
He's way to young to learn his penis is so small as to require a tool for killing to make him feel like a man.
Beaver Hateman: Is your argument that human life loses value proportionate to the number of humans available? Malcolm Kirkpatrick: That's part of the argument. Value is determined by supply and demand.
DavidJames is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

JREF Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events