JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Old 25th December 2012, 04:28 AM   #1
Garrison
Master Poster

Piers Morgan-dportation petition

Didn't see a thread on this so I though I would start one. This BBC article gives the details:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-20838729

In summary in a interview with Larry Pratt, director of Gun Owners of America Morgan said:

"You're a very stupid man, aren't you?

You have absolutely no coherent argument. You don't actually give a damn about the gun murder rate in America."

This has prompted a petition on the Whitehouse website demanding his deportation that had attracted 31,000 signatures as of the posting of the BBC article.

Now regardless of how you view Morgan's comments I have to wonder how far gone the gun lobby are. As Morgan himself put it after learning of the petition:

"Ironic US gun rights campaign to deport me for 'attacking Second Amendment rights' - is my opinion not protected under 1st Amendment rights?"

it does appear that for some gun lobbyists the Second Amendment is sacrosanct; the First? Not so much.
Garrison is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2012, 05:07 AM   #2
angrysoba
Philosophile

Somehow I don't think anything will come of this petition.
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2012, 05:12 AM   #3
Aepervius
Philosopher

I am trying to udnerstand here....

1) american made a petition for the white house
2) that petition ask for somebody in britain to be deported because he poo-poo-ed gun advocate
3) I am still trying to warp my brain that so many people thought this was a good idea, or even that the USA could ask deportation of somebody in another country which broke no law in either country. Joke ? Poe ? Real ?

If this is a gun advocate PR joke , that is really bad taste. If it is not a poe, then I dunno. 31000K people ? come on !
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2012, 05:28 AM   #4
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Aepervius View Post
I am trying to udnerstand here....

1) american made a petition for the white house
2) that petition ask for somebody in britain to be deported because he poo-poo-ed gun advocate
3) I am still trying to warp my brain that so many people thought this was a good idea, or even that the USA could ask deportation of somebody in another country which broke no law in either country. Joke ? Poe ? Real ?

If this is a gun advocate PR joke , that is really bad taste. If it is not a poe, then I dunno. 31000K people ? come on !
Piers Morgan is British and he lives in the US.

Presumably some people thought he could have his visa revoked for saying bad things about the 2nd amendment.

Something tells me that this is a non-story that is being hyped for fun.
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2012, 05:45 AM   #5
Garrison
Master Poster

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Piers Morgan is British and he lives in the US.

Presumably some people thought he could have his visa revoked for saying bad things about the 2nd amendment.

Something tells me that this is a non-story that is being hyped for fun.
Actually it fits in with a lot of coverage of the US gun issue here in the UK; which Piers Morgan seemed to sum up quite well even if I do find him rather a repulsive human being.

And here's a link to the petition, up to 59,998 as of writing this:

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...dment/prfh5zHD
Garrison is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2012, 05:49 AM   #6
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
Actually it fits in with a lot of coverage of the US gun issue here in the UK; which Piers Morgan seemed to sum up quite well even if I do find him rather a repulsive human being.

And here's a link to the petition, up to 59,998 as of writing this:

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...dment/prfh5zHD
What I mean is that while Piers Morgan and many other people in the US and outside it, have no problem with his views, it is still a non-story because no matter how many people sign that petition, he won't be deported.

The number of people signing is also pretty small in the grand scheme of things and that is despite quite a lot of hype.

In fact, what is to stop me or you siging it, for fun?
Old 25th December 2012, 06:05 AM   #7
Aepervius
Philosopher

What I mean is that while Piers Morgan and many other people in the US and outside it, have no problem with his views, it is still a non-story because no matter how many people sign that petition, he won't be deported.

The number of people signing is also pretty small in the grand scheme of things and that is despite quite a lot of hype.

In fact, what is to stop me or you siging it, for fun?
I find 60000 a lot , true it is only 1 out of 5000 american... But that is stilla lot.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2012, 06:14 AM   #8
triforcharity
Banned

This is just retarded. Plain and simple.

Piers Morgan, and his stance on guns, is ignorant.

However, I agree with what he said about the 1st Amendment. For people to fail to understand that even the most repulsive, disgusting thoughts and words, are protected.

But to say he should be deported, is asinine. I mean, if we can't even do anything about the Westboro Baptist pukes, what makes people think that PM will be deported?

What's ironic, is the document that give him the right to free speech, is the same one that gives me and everyone else the right to keep my guns.

And guns are what gave us those rights.

Personally, I say **** him. Who gives a dead rats rotten ass what his opinion is. Certainly not me.
triforcharity is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2012, 06:56 AM   #9
Dcdrac
Philosopher

I would deport him for crimes against journalism personally but hey you can keep him the Daily Mirror under him was a terrible paper
Dcdrac is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2012, 07:30 AM   #10
KatieG
Master Poster

I hoped he would be deported for being a total, absolute, complete and moronic jerk. It used to amaze me that people support violating someones civil rights because they don't like the person but they will defend to the death their own right to do the same thing.

Humans are craaaazy!

Piers Morgan participated in Donald Trump's ridiculous "Celebrity Apprentice" so he has no credibility with me.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

My death will probably be caused by being sarcastic at the wrong time.
KatieG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2012, 08:03 AM   #11
Quad4_72
AI-EE-YAH!

The petition is nothing more then a LOL. On a side not Piers Morgan is an idiot and is more then welcome to gtfo if is he is so opposed to how we roll.
Looks like the one on top has a magazine, thus needs less reloading. Also, the muzzle shroud makes it less likely for a spree killer to burn his hands. The pistol grip makes it more comfortable for the spree killer to shoot. thaiboxerken
Quad4_72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2012, 08:05 AM   #12
Newtons Bit
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dcdrac View Post
I would deport him for crimes against journalism personally but hey you can keep him the Daily Mirror under him was a terrible paper
Yea, but we would have to give the UK back all that money they gave us to take him...
"Structural Engineering is the art of molding materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze so as to understand forces we cannot really assess in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our own ignorance." James E Amrhein

My website.
Newtons Bit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2012, 08:07 AM   #13
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aepervius View Post
I find 60000 a lot , true it is only 1 out of 5000 american... But that is stilla lot.
Over 30000 for "Secure resources and funding, and begin construction of a Death Star by 2016."

The most popular currently active petition is "Legally recognize Westboro Baptist Church as a hate group." (245000)
Old 25th December 2012, 09:21 AM   #14
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by triforcharity View Post

However, I agree with what he said about the 1st Amendment. For people to fail to understand that even the most repulsive, disgusting thoughts and words, are protected.
Are you sure about that? I wonder if the first amendment actually does protect him. As it is the wording itself does not, but there may indeed be case law that will protect him. The right to freedom of speech in the US is only that which has come about through Supreme Court decisions, and not the US constitution itself.

Originally Posted by Dcdrac View Post
Well, the same amendment that would supposedly protect his right to freedom of speech would also protect his right to shoddy journalism. At least, I would assume so. But maybe the Supreme Court has made rulings on shoddy journalism too. I do not know.

Originally Posted by KatieG View Post
I hoped he would be deported for being a total, absolute, complete and moronic jerk. It used to amaze me that people support violating someones civil rights because they don't like the person but they will defend to the death their own right to do the same thing.
I don't get it. Are you actually supporting deporting him for being a jerk and in the process of being amazed that someone's civil rights are in danger for not being liked?

Originally Posted by Quad4_72 View Post
The petition is nothing more then a LOL. On a side not Piers Morgan is an idiot and is more then welcome to gtfo if is he is so opposed to how we roll.
Would you say that anyone living in the US should either support all laws as they exist now or else gtfo? Because that would presumably mean that anyone who opposed slavery in the US pre-1863 should gtfo if they didn't like the way the US rolled.
Old 25th December 2012, 10:16 AM   #15
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Do people really not realize the petition is a joke?
WildCat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2012, 10:22 AM   #16
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

...snip...

Piers Morgan , and his stance on guns, is ignorant.

...snip...
Fixed that for you.

And please, please Americans your 1st amendment most be upheld, you must not allow him to be deported for expressing his opinion, that would be a terrible stain on America's reputation and a win for Them!!!

He is an odious, dishonest, egotist - we don't want him back!
Old 25th December 2012, 10:25 AM   #17
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by WildCat View Post
Do people really not realize the petition Piers Morgan is a joke?
Fixed that for you. Don't know why but some folks keep making typos when talking about Morgan.

Old 25th December 2012, 10:30 AM   #18
Duffy Moon
Master Poster

You let Prize Moron in and gave him a job.

He's your problem now.
Duffy Moon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2012, 10:42 AM   #19
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by Newtons Bit View Post
Yea, but we would have to give the UK back all that money they gave us to take him...
And the rest. Now you've got him the price has gone waaay up.
Old 25th December 2012, 10:47 AM   #20
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

The right to freedom of speech in the US is only that which has come about through Supreme Court decisions, and not the US constitution itself.
So which SCOTUS free speech opinion was based on something other than the Constitution?
WildCat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2012, 12:37 PM   #21
George152
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Duffy Moon View Post
You let Prize Moron in and gave him a job.

He's your problem now.
Just keep him away from your phone system
Old 25th December 2012, 12:48 PM   #22
LandR
Graduate Poster

In the unlikely even you deport (or just plain run him out of the country) we don't want him back!!!
LandR is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2012, 01:06 PM   #23
Alareth
Expert Expertologist

The White House petition site while started with noble intent, has devolved into just another canvas for budding internet comedians to ply their craft just like craigslist and Amazon product reviews.

Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak
Alareth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2012, 01:13 PM   #24
Nessie
Philosopher

I am wholly opposed to the deportation of Piers Morgan.
Old 25th December 2012, 01:17 PM   #25
leon_heller
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
Please don't deport him, he might return to the UK.
Old 25th December 2012, 01:25 PM   #26
Sam.I.Am
Illuminator

Maybe we should start one for Celene Dion...

About my avatar.
Sam.I.Am is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2012, 01:47 PM   #27
albion
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
A counter-petition to No. 10 to ask he be stopped at Heathrow is in order.
albion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2012, 01:50 PM   #28
Acleron
Master Poster

A Piers Morgan is for life not just for Xmas. Keep him.

(Stolen from twitter)
Acleron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2012, 01:53 PM   #29
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

But to say he should be deported, is asinine. I mean, if we can't even do anything about the Westboro Baptist pukes, what makes people think that PM will be deported?

What's ironic, is the document that give him the right to free speech, is the same one that gives me and everyone else the right to keep my guns.

Personally, I say **** him. Who gives a dead rats rotten ass what his opinion is. Certainly not me.
Guns don't kill people, but guns give people rights?
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2012, 02:15 PM   #30
JihadJane
Penultimate Satisfaction

Who really gives a **** what a load of neo-religious gun nuts think about anyone from anywhere?
JihadJane is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2012, 02:46 PM   #31
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Sadly bigots and hypocrites (think 1st Amendment) still walk among us.
Old 25th December 2012, 02:50 PM   #32
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by Quad4_72 View Post
The petition is nothing more then a LOL. ...
Regardless, among the people vocalizing to send the foreigner home are some serious bigots.
Old 25th December 2012, 02:59 PM   #33
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Regardless, among the people vocalizing to send the foreigner home are some serious bigots.
Why call them bigots - the hypocrite label I can understand but not the bigot label. I am sure some of them are bigots but this reaction seems to be based on something he has actually said/done and his personal characteristics so not really how we usually use the label bigot?
Old 25th December 2012, 03:30 PM   #34
tuoni
Critical Thinker

We have spent so many years trying to get him out of this country, please don't send that **** Piers Morgan back to us. I will never forgive him for the front page he did on the Mirror when I was still serving.
!M-- !V-- PS+ PE++ Y++>$ PGP+++ t- 5- X++ R* tv- b++ DI++ D++ G+ e++
h++(-) r y+
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
tuoni is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2012, 03:38 PM   #35
12AX7
Glowing red!

Originally Posted by JihadJane View Post
Who really gives a **** what a load of neo-religious gun nuts think about anyone from anywhere?
This.
12AX7 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2012, 04:14 PM   #36
Quad4_72
AI-EE-YAH!

Love the avatar update.
Looks like the one on top has a magazine, thus needs less reloading. Also, the muzzle shroud makes it less likely for a spree killer to burn his hands. The pistol grip makes it more comfortable for the spree killer to shoot. thaiboxerken
Quad4_72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2012, 04:23 PM   #37
triforcharity
Banned

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Fixed that for you.

And please, please Americans your 1st amendment most be upheld, you must not allow him to be deported for expressing his opinion, that would be a terrible stain on America's reputation and a win for Them!!!

He is an odious, dishonest, egotist - we don't want him back!
LOL!! Figures.....
triforcharity is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2012, 04:42 PM   #38
jerrywayne
Muse

Morgan replaced Larry King on CNN as an interviewer of celebs. I personally think he is the best interviewer of such that I have heard in a long time. Don't know about his other endeavors.

The gun people here are paranoid and angry and unbending and their lobby, the NRA, is borderline treasonous (fantasist dreaming of armed rebellion against "repressive" U.S. government.)

Should the White House shut down its public petition initiative? Well, the Enraged Right, with its list of imagined grievances, has hi-jacked the petition initiative with stupid statement-making, such as the petition to deport Morgan or the one to (name the state) secede from the United States.
jerrywayne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2012, 05:26 PM   #39
angrysoba
Philosophile

So which SCOTUS free speech opinion was based on something other than the Constitution?
Well, maybe I worded it badly, but the point I meant was that there is no explicit right to free speech. Rather the First Amendment merely forbade Congress from infringing it and later the Supreme Court argued that the Fourteenth Amendment made it applicable to all lawmaking bodies at state level, superseding the original restriction which was only at a federal level. This "incorporation doctrine" has been assumed to follow from this bit in the 14th:

Quote:
Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.
I guess that if we assume Piers Morgan is a person, then he would get equal protection to a citizen.
Old 25th December 2012, 06:38 PM   #40
RandFan
Mormon Atheist

Do people really not realize the petition is a joke?
There's the problem of Poe's law.

I think I'll reroute my trip
I wonder if they'd think I'd flipped.
If I went to LA, via Omaha.
RandFan is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

JREF Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events