JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Old 19th January 2013, 10:57 PM   #81
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Gawdzilla View Post
Have you read that amendment?
Yes. Have you?

The art of labeling an argument in a dismissive fashion being used as an argument in and of itself. Ex: Labeling facts as a conspiracy theory
16.5 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2013, 08:59 AM   #82
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by epix View Post
The second leading reason for the theist/atheist conversion is the avoidance of hell.

According to your logic, if a Christian is afraid of going to hell after his death, he can just drop his faith and not go to hell anymore?

And there I was thinking that in most Christians' views, being a heathen is a straight ticket to hell.
Old 20th January 2013, 05:24 PM   #83
epix
Banned

Originally Posted by ddt View Post

According to your logic, if a Christian is afraid of going to hell after his death, he can just drop his faith and not go to hell anymore?
It's not "according to my logic"; it's according to my observation of the anomaly that forms through the theist-to-atheist conversion.
epix is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2013, 05:44 PM   #84
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Location: Between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge
The second leading reason for the theist/atheist conversion is the avoidance of hell.
Thank you for demonstrating which orifice was the genesis of your earlier assertion by producing yet another from the same source.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2013, 05:45 PM   #85
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Location: Between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge
It's not "according to my logic"; it's according to my observation of the anomaly that forms through the theist-to-atheist conversion.
Right, right. Just like people don't want to get speeding tickets so they stop believing in the police. Brilliant deduction.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2013, 05:53 PM   #86
epix
Banned

Originally Posted by cwalner View Post
First, I addressed the issue of theist/atheist conversions, you just conveniently cut that part out when you replied.
You made your point in the first two paragraphs:
As somebody who is both not heterosexual (I am more bisexual than homosexual) and an atheist, I can safely say that you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about.

First off, I was raised atheist, although I never used that term when I was younger. I knew that my father did not believe in god, but the term atheist was never used. I always thought of myself as a cultural Jew (I was raised on bagels and matzoh, but never went to synagogue or had a Bar Mitzvah).
Only in the 4th paragraph you mentioned the conversion as an afterthought.
Quote:
Second, I am well aware that whole population of atheists are not bisexuals. Neither are they homosexuals. Most atheists, like most people, are heterosexual. It is nice that you acknowledge this fact. However, if, as you originally posted that
"Homosexuality accounts for most of the conversions from theism to atheism, because the activities and preferences of an atheist are no longer limited by the word of God."
then would we not expect most atheists to be homosexual?
Your question is disconnected with what I said in the quote. There seems to be far less atheists who converted from a religion, so I would expect that the the ratio between heterosexual and non-heterosexual atheists would be about the same as in the general population. You would have to take a sample of those folks who converted to atheism, ask about their sexual preference and find out if there is a statistically significant difference in order to see if the result supports or refutes my claim.
epix is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2013, 05:57 PM   #87
cwalner
Philosopher

Um, no. Unless you can observe other people's thoughts (which, if you can, you should go over to the MDC thread and make some money) you are not observing peoples motivations for conversion, you are deducing them through logic.

The problem is that since your deductions do not match those that have actually converted from theism to atheism, then your premises and/or your logic is flawed.

You have made two claims based on your deductions.

1) that the majority of theist/atheist conversions are motivated by homosexuality.
This breaks down because the logical extension would be a much higher percentage of homosexuals in the atheist community than what is observed.

2) that the second most popular reason is avoidance of Hell.
The problem with that is you misunderstanding of atheist. Atheists do not believe Hell is real, so that there is nothing to avoid. However, if you assume that Hell is real, then there is no surer way to earn your way there, according to any religion with a version of hell, than to convert from theism to atheism. The only way a person would convert thusly, is that they are either masochistic or have already given up their belief in Hell.

I have never met any individual who converted from theism to atheism because they thought that it would give them carte blanche to behave however they wanted. Almost every atheist that I have met that was raised in religion claimed they left because they no longer found solace in the teachings of the religion. In most cases this was due to simply not being able to reconcile the teachings of their particular religion with reality.

In fact, many left because they found the teachings of the religion to be immoral, and left to find a better morality. It is not because they want to do whatever they please, but that they want to consider themselves moral and no longer feel that they can within whatever religion they were raised.
Old 20th January 2013, 06:03 PM   #88
cwalner
Philosopher

You made your point in the first two paragraphs:

Only in the 4th paragraph you mentioned the conversion as an afterthought.

Your question is disconnected with what I said in the quote. There seems to be far less atheists who converted from a religion, so I would expect that the the ratio between heterosexual and non-heterosexual atheists would be about the same as in the general population. You would have to take a sample of those folks who converted to atheism, ask about their sexual preference and find out if there is a statistically significant difference in order to see if the result supports or refutes my claim.
You know. If you really wanted to find this out, there is a Forum on the internet, that I know you are familiar with, that has a large number of atheists on it. It even allows you to post threads with polls in it. If you truly want to know this based on reality, rather than your assumptions, you should start a thread there and include a poll. I think the answers you get may surprise you.

ETA: I found the question interesting so opened two poll threads to query the two claims made.

JREF Atheists: Were you 'born' an atheist
Converted Atheists: what is your sexuality and did you convert because of it?

Last edited by cwalner; 20th January 2013 at 06:29 PM.
cwalner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2013, 06:39 PM   #89
epix
Banned

1) that the majority of theist/atheist conversions are motivated by homosexuality.
This breaks down because the logical extension would be a much higher percentage of homosexuals in the atheist community than what is observed.
Nothing is really observed, because there has been no legitimate statistical study answering this particular question. There is only my claim that I can't prove and which you can't disprove either. You can only deny it at will.
Quote:
2) that the second most popular reason is avoidance of Hell.
The problem with that is you misunderstanding of atheist. Atheists do not believe Hell is real, so that there is nothing to avoid.
But Christians do. All you have to do to avoid that everlasting 66 degree Celsius is to convert to atheism.
Quote:
I have never met any individual who converted from theism to atheism because they thought that it would give them carte blanche to behave however they wanted. Almost every atheist that I have met that was raised in religion claimed they left because they no longer found solace in the teachings of the religion. In most cases this was due to simply not being able to reconcile the teachings of their particular religion with reality.

In fact, many left because they found the teachings of the religion to be immoral, and left to find a better morality. It is not because they want to do whatever they please, but that they want to consider themselves moral and no longer feel that they can within whatever religion they were raised.
They won't tell you the truth, because they are no longer the prisoners of the Christian values.

You don't have to observe a large group of atheists to learn something about atheism - it suffices to observe Foster.

Last edited by epix; 20th January 2013 at 06:41 PM.
Old 20th January 2013, 09:43 PM   #90
cwalner
Philosopher

Nothing is really observed, because there has been no legitimate statistical study answering this particular question. There is only my claim that I can't prove and which you can't disprove either. You can only deny it at will.
Yes, something is observed, although anecdotally. In my personal experience, with atheists I have known and spoke to on this forum, at TAM and in my personal life, there is no higher rate of homosexuality among atheists than in the community at large. This is something that I do look out for, because in general, a male atheist, who is interested sexually in other men is a type of person that I am actively seeking to meet.

But Christians do. All you have to do to avoid that everlasting 66 degree Celsius is to convert to atheism.
Wrong. What is true has nothing to do with what one's beliefs are. If Hell is real, then a gay Catholic does not save themselves from eternal torment by proclaiming God does not exist. He just becomes a blasphemer, in addition to a homosexual, and only increases his chances of burning in Hell.

They won't tell you the truth, because they are no longer the prisoners of the Christian values.
what motivation would they have to lie? The atheist community is one of the most accepting of gays that I have found. I am more comfortable being out on this forum and at JREF than I am in real life. In real life, I am hesitant to share my sexuality with new acquaintances. However, if I am among atheists, such as at TAM, I am much less hesitant.

You don't have to observe a large group of atheists to learn something about atheism - it suffices to observe Foster.
WTF. Who the hell is Foster, and why does this one person have superior knowledge about the opinions of atheists than a large group of atheists.
Old 21st January 2013, 05:50 AM   #91
Good Lt
Graduate Poster

Flag thrown.

False claim that becoming religious and/or Christian prevents or discourages one from lying.

5-yard penalty.

Repeat first down.

Certainly, in the topsy-turvy world of heavy rock, having a good solid piece of wood in your hand is often useful.
- Ian Faith
Good Lt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2013, 06:02 AM   #92
Gawdzilla
121.92-meter mutant fire-breathing lizard-thingy

Originally Posted by Good Lt View Post
Flag thrown.

False claim that becoming religious and/or Christian prevents or discourages one from lying.

5-yard penalty.

Repeat first down.
Another 5 yards for use of Small Sample Error.
木戸舞台は、無線メッセージを送信しませんでした
Gawdzilla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2013, 06:13 AM   #93
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Re: Religion Reserves the Right to Discriminate

They've almost always claimed exception from the normal rules. The way they avoid prosecution for pedophilia is just one example of their claimed privilege due to being a conduit to their god or gods.
But they so rarely demand legal punishment for those wanton boys who seduce the clergy in a totally hetero way. You just need to bone up on catholic psychology.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2013, 07:37 AM   #94
Aepervius
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
But they so rarely demand legal punishment for those wanton boys who seduce the clergy in a totally hetero way. You just need to bone up on catholic psychology.
Isn't already the "boner" in church the whole basis of the problem .

"I want, and this is my last and most dear wish, I want that the last of the king be strangled with the guts of the last priest" (Jean Meslier / 1664-1729 / Testament)
A very early french atheist, a catholic priest in life.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2013, 09:07 AM   #95
Gawdzilla

Originally Posted by Aepervius View Post
Isn't already the "boner" in church the whole basis of the problem .
Ya beat me to it.
木戸舞台は、無線メッセージを送信しませんでした
Gawdzilla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2013, 09:20 AM   #96
cwalner
Philosopher

Ya beat me to it.
ftfy
Old 21st January 2013, 09:54 AM   #97
Gawdzilla

ftfy
木戸舞台は、無線メッセージを送信しませんでした
Old 21st January 2013, 01:33 PM   #98
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
Right, right. Just like people don't want to get speeding tickets so they stop believing in the police. Brilliant deduction.
Works for FOTLers. (not)

ETA: Like all religious the lack or reality conforming to their beliefs confirms them in their beliefs.

Last edited by tsig; 21st January 2013 at 01:35 PM.
tsig is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2013, 01:39 PM   #99
tsig
a carbon based life-form

I thought the phrase was just a boner.
tsig is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2013, 07:33 PM   #100
cwalner
Philosopher

Originally Posted by tsig View Post
I thought the phrase was just a boner.
He apparently misunderstood my 'correction'. I had intended for 'beat' to be interpreted in the sense of Paul Rubens. Gawdzilla was thinking more along the lines of the Marquis de Sade.
Old 21st January 2013, 11:30 PM   #101
Toke
Godless Socialist

Todays paper have some debate over a Danish church which demand "faith in god" in an job add for a new priest.

Comments from the priests union and theological faculty indicate that perhaps 50% of priests believe in a literal god and that the requirrement is completely outdated as the important part is the christian values, not the superstitious stuff. (or some such)

Toke is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2013, 05:13 AM   #102
Gawdzilla

He apparently misunderstood my 'correction'. I had intended for 'beat' to be interpreted in the sense of Paul Rubens. Gawdzilla was thinking more along the lines of the Marquis de Sade.
Paul Rubens doesn't immediately spring to my mind at any stimulus.
木戸舞台は、無線メッセージを送信しませんでした

JREF Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy