JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Old 28th January 2013, 01:15 AM   #201
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by punshhh View Post
So the only way to come to the opinion that a god may exist is to believe in that god? The human mind cannot get there through reason alone?
What? Non-believers do not consider that gods exist. I can't make it any simpler.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2013, 01:16 AM   #202
punshhh
Illuminator

Originally Posted by dafydd View Post
Where is the proof that gods are not creations of the human mind? Animals don't have gods.
Some believers consider an intelligent creator to be the origin of our existence. There is evidence of intelligent creators arising naturally in the environment we find ourselves in.

This is proof that intelligent creators emerge in existence quite naturally.
punshhh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2013, 01:17 AM   #203
dafydd
Banned

Ask a religious or spiritual person.
I have, frequently, including you and have yet to be presented with proof of the existence of a god.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2013, 01:18 AM   #204
dafydd
Banned

Some believers consider an intelligent creator to be the origin of our existence. There is evidence of intelligent creators arising naturally in the environment we find ourselves in.

Please present the evidence that you mention. That is all you ever do, mention it. You never say what it is.
Old 28th January 2013, 01:25 AM   #205
punshhh
Illuminator

Please present the evidence that you mention. That is all you ever do, mention it. You never say what it is.
I have but I don't think you were about to hear it at the time.

My evidence is that an intelligent being (humanity)has emerged quite naturally in nature and will soon create an artificial intelligent being(AI), which will in turn create other artificial or biological beings, which will in turn create others etc etc.

Intelligent creation at work!

After a while this may result in the technology to manipulate spacetime and as if by magic a god is created. What could be simpler?

Last edited by punshhh; 28th January 2013 at 01:27 AM.
punshhh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2013, 01:28 AM   #206
MikeG
Philosopher

No, don't do that to me. You said you had evidence, so I asked you. Now you tell me to ask someone else......

So, to narrow my search, does every religious or spiritual person have this evidence, or do I have to ask particular ones?

Last edited by MikeG; 28th January 2013 at 03:06 AM.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2013, 02:00 AM   #207
dafydd
Banned

I have but I don't think you were about to hear it at the time.

My evidence is that an intelligent being (humanity)has emerged quite naturally in nature and will soon create an artificial intelligent being(AI), which will in turn create other artificial or biological beings, which will in turn create others etc etc.

Intelligent creation at work!

After a while this may result in the technology to manipulate spacetime and as if by magic a god is created. What could be simpler?
So you have no evidence of the existence of a god. AI is science, not religion and will never lead to the creation of a universe. And there was me thinking that after thousands of years of failure on the part of believers to provide evidence of the existence of a god, you were going to be the first to do so. Anyway, your belief only begs the question.
Old 28th January 2013, 02:01 AM   #208
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
No, don't do that to me. You said you had evidence, so I asked you. Now you tell me to ask someone else......

So, to narrow my search, does every religious or spiritual person have this evidence, or do I have to ask special ones?
The special ones do not exist and neither does the evidence.
Old 28th January 2013, 02:16 AM   #209
dafydd
Banned

What could be simpler?
Believing in the existence of a god.
Old 28th January 2013, 03:13 AM   #210
punshhh
Illuminator

So you have no evidence of the existence of a god.
It is evidence of creators. All you have to do is scale up from there.
Quote:
AI is science, not religion and will never lead to the creation of a universe.
You sound like one of the old testament prophets.

Last edited by punshhh; 28th January 2013 at 03:18 AM.
Old 28th January 2013, 03:17 AM   #211
punshhh
Illuminator

No, don't do that to me. You said you had evidence,
Did I, I don't think so.

Quote:
So, to narrow my search, does every religious or spiritual person have this evidence, or do I have to ask particular ones?
I think you will have to use your initiative. When I searched for the evidence thats what was required.
Old 28th January 2013, 03:25 AM   #212
dafydd
Banned

Tell us about this evidence and proof. Merely saying that it is there will not conjure it into existence.
Old 28th January 2013, 03:26 AM   #213
dafydd
Banned

I think you will have to use your initiative. When I searched for the evidence thats what was required.
If you found it then please post it here. Your point of view seems to be ''we are here therefore god''.
Old 28th January 2013, 03:27 AM   #214
dafydd
Banned

It is evidence of creators.:
What is?
Old 28th January 2013, 03:28 AM   #215
dafydd
Banned

You sound like one of the old testament prophets.
No I don't. If you had ever read the bible you would know that. Anyway, I'm real, not fictional. Maybe you could get one of the pixies in your foliage to present the evidence, he'd do a much better job. He couldn't do worse, that's for sure. Perhaps you didn't notice that I have made no prophecies.

Last edited by dafydd; 28th January 2013 at 03:34 AM.
Old 28th January 2013, 03:32 AM   #216
dafydd
Banned

This is the kind of crap that prophets spout.

http://www.quotefully.com/movie/Life.../False+Prophet
Old 28th January 2013, 03:35 AM   #217
MikeG
Philosopher

Did I, I don't think so.
Do try and concentrate. It was less than a page ago:

This is irrelevant as there are believers who believe in something which is not a fictional creation of the human mind.

This is a common fallacy on this forum, that God is a fictional creation. There are circumstances where this is correct, but there are many believers and people who accept that there may be a god, who are talking about something beyond, more real than mental fiction.

Incorrect, there is much evidence. Which is dismissed out of hand due to it being anecdotal and a result of the frail human mind and nature.

Wrong again, logic cannot inform us about existence. Also logic is one of those mental creations mentioned above.

Also evidence can only inform us about what we are able to perceive, or represent.
I already used my initiative in asking the person who said there was evidence: you. It doesn't seem unreasonable to me that you be the one to produce that evidence, as you are the one making the claim.

Mike
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2013, 03:36 AM   #218
dafydd
Banned

Mysticism causes amnesia.
Old 28th January 2013, 03:38 AM   #219
dafydd
Banned

Why waste one's time and initiative in searching for evidence of imaginary creatures?

Last edited by dafydd; 28th January 2013 at 03:43 AM.
Old 28th January 2013, 03:42 AM   #220
MikeG
Philosopher

Not that, Dafydd. I am wasting a little of my time and initiative asking for the results of someone else's search. If this search has reached earth-shattering evidence-backed conclusions as claimed, then I'd be interested to hear of it.

Mike
Old 28th January 2013, 03:43 AM   #221
Gawdzilla
121.92-meter mutant fire-breathing lizard-thingy

They got nothing.
Gawdzilla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2013, 03:43 AM   #222
dafydd
Banned

Not that, Dafydd. I am wasting a little of my time and initiative asking for the results of someone else's search. If this search has reached earth-shattering evidence-backed conclusions as claimed, then I'd be interested to hear of it.

Mike
Don't hold your breath.
Old 28th January 2013, 03:45 AM   #223
Gawdzilla

There is evidence of intelligent creators arising naturally in the environment we find ourselves in.
Such as...
Gawdzilla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2013, 03:53 AM   #224
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by Gawdzilla View Post
Such as...
C'mon punshhh, we are agog. Where is the evidence of intelligent creators arising naturally around us? It's not those faces in your foliage surely? That was pareidolia.

Last edited by dafydd; 28th January 2013 at 03:54 AM.
Old 28th January 2013, 03:57 AM   #225
dafydd
Banned

The universe is vast. Why would an intelligent creator arise on this insignificant speck of dust and what would they create? Everything is already here, due to the Big Bang, and later on, evolution.
Old 28th January 2013, 04:27 AM   #226
Gawdzilla

The universe is vast. Why would an intelligent creator arise on this insignificant speck of dust and what would they create? Everything is already here, due to the Big Bang, and later on, evolution.
"HA! You used 'Big Bang' and 'evolution' in the same sentence. That proves you have FAITH that they're the same thing. Checkmate, atheists!"
Old 28th January 2013, 04:40 AM   #227
punshhh
Illuminator

C'mon punshhh, we are agog. Where is the evidence of intelligent creators arising naturally around us? It's not those faces in your foliage surely? That was pareidolia.
Look in the mirror, there you're face to face with an intelligent creator <SNIP>.

Edited by Locknar:  SNIPed, breach of rule 12.

Last edited by Locknar; 29th January 2013 at 04:38 AM.
Old 28th January 2013, 04:41 AM   #228
punshhh
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Gawdzilla View Post
Such as...
Homo Sapiens.
Old 28th January 2013, 04:44 AM   #229
punshhh
Illuminator

I already used my initiative in asking the person who said there was evidence: you. It doesn't seem unreasonable to me that you be the one to produce that evidence, as you are the one making the claim.

Mike
There is a difference between saying there is evidence and saying I have evidence
Old 28th January 2013, 04:45 AM   #230
truethat
Penultimate Amazing

Why people think that others are interested in their justification for treating people like garbage and being an arrogant jerk is beyond me.

The reading comprehension issues in this thread are staggering to say the least.

There was no positive claim about God, there was the statement made that until you can prove that everything in the world just came into existence on it's own in a natural way, the poster is going to keep the possibility of a supernatural or intelligent creator of it all open.

What is very bizarre about this statement is that it is a LOGICAL STATEMENT because it is based on disbelief of those who say they "know" how the world came to be.

When someone says existence started with the BIG BANG I'm pretty shocked. What's the difference between believing in the "Big Bang" and "Believing in God."

Yes we may have evolved in knowledge enough to be able to track information and data that as we currently interpret it, looks like the big bang theory is correct. But you don't KNOW that anymore than a person who says they KNOW there is a God.

When people say things just as stupid and narrow minded as the worst Christian fundy out there, and then try to pretend this way of thinking is "sophisticated" just because it sneers at God belief I'm truly shocked.

I can't believe that people could be so clueless.

― Julie Rugg, A Book Addict's Treasury
truethat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2013, 04:45 AM   #231
dafydd
Banned

Look in the mirror, there you're face to face with an intelligent creator (although I don't think intelligent is the right word in this case).
Resorting to personal insults is a sure sign that you have no arguments. I'm a musician, but creating a piece of music is not supernatural and does not require mysticism or imaginary beings. We will take it that you have no evidence of your claims.
Old 28th January 2013, 04:47 AM   #232
dafydd
Banned

There is a difference between saying there is evidence and saying I have evidence
If you know that there is evidence then you would know the nature of the evidence. I can only conclude that you have no cognizance of any evidence. You are trolling now.

Last edited by dafydd; 28th January 2013 at 04:49 AM.
Old 28th January 2013, 04:48 AM   #233
dafydd
Banned

Homo Sapiens.
And how does that prove the existence of a creator god? You are floundering badly.
Old 28th January 2013, 04:49 AM   #234
punshhh
Illuminator

Resorting to personal insults is a sure sign that you have no arguments. I'm a musician, but creating a piece of music is not supernatural and does not require mysticism or imaginary beings. We will take it that you have no evidence of your claims.
I was joking.

There you are, creating a piece of music is just the same as creating a universe and visa versa. Who said anything about supernatural processes?
Old 28th January 2013, 04:50 AM   #235
punshhh
Illuminator

And how does that prove the existence of a creator god? You are floundering badly.
Who said anything about proof?
Old 28th January 2013, 04:52 AM   #236
dafydd
Banned

I was joking.
Could you please warn us the next time you make an attempt at humour? Then we will know when you are trying to be funny.
Old 28th January 2013, 04:53 AM   #237
punshhh
Illuminator

Originally Posted by truethat View Post
Why people think that others are interested in their justification for treating people like garbage and being an arrogant jerk is beyond me.

The reading comprehension issues in this thread are staggering to say the least.

There was no positive claim about God, there was the statement made that until you can prove that everything in the world just came into existence on it's own in a natural way, the poster is going to keep the possibility of a supernatural or intelligent creator of it all open.

What is very bizarre about this statement is that it is a LOGICAL STATEMENT because it is based on disbelief of those who say they "know" how the world came to be.

When someone says existence started with the BIG BANG I'm pretty shocked. What's the difference between believing in the "Big Bang" and "Believing in God."

Yes we may have evolved in knowledge enough to be able to track information and data that as we currently interpret it, looks like the big bang theory is correct. But you don't KNOW that anymore than a person who says they KNOW there is a God.

When people say things just as stupid and narrow minded as the worst Christian fundy out there, and then try to pretend this way of thinking is "sophisticated" just because it sneers at God belief I'm truly shocked.

I can't believe that people could be so clueless.
Thanks truethat, it can be repetitive cutting a swathe through the fallacious thinking.
Old 28th January 2013, 04:54 AM   #238
dafydd
Banned

I was joking.

There you are, creating a piece of music is just the same as creating a universe and visa versa. Who said anything about supernatural processes?
Waving a magic wand and creating a universe would not be supernatural? You can make cabinets but you cannot create a universe. It's nice to know that you are not serious about this mysticism nonsense.
Old 28th January 2013, 04:55 AM   #239
dafydd
Banned

Thanks truethat, it can be repetitive cutting a swathe through the fallacious thinking.
Not even making a dent on it. Who needs a god for the Big Bang?
Old 28th January 2013, 04:57 AM   #240
dafydd
Banned

Who said anything about proof?
Oh dear. Any evidence from you about the existence of creator gods would constitute proof. You seem to think that you can conjure them into existence with a wave of your keyboard. How's tricks on the other side of the event horizon of the formless? If you won't explain about that perhaps truethat would care to elucidate. Truethat, do you have any idea what the phrase ''beyond the event horizon of the formless'' means? Apart from being pure gibberish?

Last edited by dafydd; 28th January 2013 at 05:01 AM.

JREF Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy