JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Old 26th January 2013, 12:28 PM   #41
showmevegas
Student

Originally Posted by Jonesboy View Post
Yes. How about " in which lurks an idiotic supernaturalism."

Get it? I am telling you that JREF, and everyone here, is a supernaturalist of the worst kind, hypocritical at worst, gullible at best, skeptic.
Guess I've been told! Never mind the critical thinking now...I'm tellin ya!
showmevegas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2013, 12:30 PM   #42
John Jones
Philosopher

Smile

Yes. How about " in which lurks an idiotic supernaturalism."

Get it? I am telling you that JREF, and everyone here, is a supernaturalist of the worst kind, hypocritical at worst, gullible at best, skeptic.

Thanks for presuming to know what I think. It would have been rude to ask.
John Jones is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2013, 01:20 PM   #43
RussDill
Illuminator

JREF has a problem, and I was hoping that someone might have spotted it by now. It is that every generation has its dark corners that can only be illuminated by the next. Even JREF has dark corners that dwarf those he rails against.
There is no evidence for community problems. You've merely invented a social category without any physical evidence. Posters frown on community problems and try to get them excised, a dangerous step I think.

Yet these same posters try to claim mental problems don't exist. Madness can come to the door of those who seek solutions in the wrong places. It is not what you ask but who you ask.

However, in some places, community problems, altered opinions, logic, are also accepted. For some posters, these communities are reclassified en masse into the discourse of on-line community pathology whose terms we juggle with today.
And lines to code before I sleep
RussDill is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2013, 01:26 PM   #44
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I think you might profit by attending to your ignorance of what YOU mean by mental illness, for I am absolutely sure that you, or anyone else you would appeal to, could not frame any answer that would be coherent.

Welcome to the dark corner of our century.

JREF has a problem, and I was hoping that someone might have spotted it by now. It is that every generation has its dark corners that can only be illuminated by the next. Even JREF has dark corners that dwarf those he rails against.

And this is one of them.
This thread a dark corner? Yes, perhaps.

I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2013, 01:36 PM   #45
Captain_Swoop
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dafydd View Post
I'm still trying to forget them.
Why? Band on the Run is a fantastic album!
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2013, 01:39 PM   #46
Kid Eager
Illuminator

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
Now, now, you are not supposed to use someone's posts in a different thread (he started) to show the error of his ideas in another. Hardly sporting when it is so easy a shot!!!
Ah, the benefits of "economy of discourse" - making the evidence easier to hide...
Old 26th January 2013, 03:48 PM   #47
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Why? Band on the Run is a fantastic album!
I'll grant you that, but Mull Of Kintyre, Mary Had A Little Lamb and The Frog Chorus? Unforgivable.

Last edited by dafydd; 26th January 2013 at 03:53 PM.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2013, 04:04 PM   #48
wollery
Protected by Samurai Hedgehogs!

Umm, Jonesboy, JREF isn't a person. I think you mean James Randi.

"Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider!" --George Carlin
wollery is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2013, 04:19 PM   #49
Kid Eager
Illuminator

Originally Posted by wollery View Post
Umm, Jonesboy, JREF isn't a person. I think you mean James Randi.
irrelevant and off topic.

Where's your unfounded counter-assertion, hmmmm? (alternatively, you should start a new thread with a whole set of new assertions. This has the advantage of clouding the audit trail...)

Last edited by Kid Eager; 26th January 2013 at 04:20 PM.
Kid Eager is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2013, 07:32 PM   #50
ElMondoHummus
0.25 short of being half-witted

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
This thread a dark corner? Yes, perhaps.
Well, the budget's running a little thin and CFLs are expensive. Now if they'd just let us buy some incandescent bulbs, we'd be good, but there's that whole power conservation directive to follow...
"... my favorite meal is grilled filet of spherical cow of uniform density ... with a side of mashed potatoes of indeterminate volume, peas arranged in an optimal packing configuration, and a glass of ideal fluid." (PhysicsForums)
ElMondoHummus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2013, 08:54 PM   #51
mike3
Master Poster

In the societies of the West certain experiences are frowned upon. The unlucky person will look to a doctor to get them excised from his or her mental emporium, a dangerous step I think.

Yet in these same societies the experiences and thoughts of poets, artists, bards, and psychics are allowed some freedom from the treatment mandate, and often found acceptable by the public. Madness can come to the door of those who seek solutions in the wrong places. It is not what you ask but who you ask.

However, in some non-Western countries experiences of dying, and other altered states and perceptions are also accepted. In western society these experiences are reclassified en masse into the discourse of pathology whose terms we juggle with today - depression, bipolar, schizo-x, and the like.

The driving forces of these models are cultural, and always religious. Even the medical model of the West is driven, not by science, but by religion and its off-shoots: Science frowns upon any experience that detracts from the armchair domain of experience bequethed to us by our judeo-christian moral history. It is this model that drives the medical model of experience today and drives the promotion of the "mental disorder" which is, ultimately, a social category whose values are founded on judeo-christian materialism.
1. NDEs are not classified as schizo as far as I can tell. "Secular" classifications usually put them in their own box, but nevertheless as a purely brain-generated phenomenon. I don't think it would be said that NDE experiencers are "crazy". Rather, the NDE comes as a result of the brain being forced into a regime ("near death") well outside its "normal operating parameters".

2. The modern medical model used in scientific medicine is driven by science. If it weren't, then we'd be seeing doctors accepting "demonic posession" as a valid diagnosis. They don't, and for good reason. And what on earth is "judeo-christian materialism"? Sounds like an oxymoron to me.
“Ego is subversive and devolutionary, truly destructive and terrible; ego is the generator of privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. Ego is the fire that burns within the pit of hell, devouring and consuming everything that enters and leaving utterly nothing behind. Ego is horrible, cruel, and restraining, the darkness of the world, and the doom and bane of man.” – my reaction to that famous Bertrand Russell quote.
mike3 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2013, 03:30 AM   #52
crhkrebs
Critical Thinker

There is no evidence for mental illness. The reason for this is that it is a social category, and can merit no physical evidence.

So, it is up to the mental illness pundits to say what the evidence is for mental illness. And there is none, not least because there is no coherent definition of the term coming from their camp.
Dodge noted!

You made a spurious claim that modern medicine was based on religion instead of being evidence based. You were asked to clearly show any evidence for this claim.

Then, this was your response. For the record, you were not asked To provide "evidence for mental illness". Is there something wrong with your reading comprehension?

Please answer the questions put to you. That's how discourse works, Jonesy.

Last edited by crhkrebs; 27th January 2013 at 03:33 AM.
crhkrebs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2013, 05:13 AM   #53
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by crhkrebs View Post
That's how discourse works, Jonesy.
Discourse? We should be grateful that the greatest polymath on Earth has deigned to speak to us.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2013, 06:05 AM   #54
Jonesboy
Banned

Originally Posted by mike3 View Post
1. NDEs are not classified as schizo as far as I can tell. "Secular" classifications usually put them in their own box, but nevertheless as a purely brain-generated phenomenon. I don't think it would be said that NDE experiencers are "crazy". Rather, the NDE comes as a result of the brain being forced into a regime ("near death") well outside its "normal operating parameters".

2. The modern medical model used in scientific medicine is driven by science. If it weren't, then we'd be seeing doctors accepting "demonic posession" as a valid diagnosis. They don't, and for good reason. And what on earth is "judeo-christian materialism"? Sounds like an oxymoron to me.
You believe in chemical possession? You said NDE's are "purely brain-generated phenomenon", as if to say other experiences are not.

Judeo-christian materialism brings us Halloween, the mockery of death, the limitation of experiential fauna supplemented by the belief in the existence of only material objects, and its related rejection of altered states that challenge it.
Jonesboy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2013, 06:06 AM   #55
Jonesboy
Banned

Originally Posted by crhkrebs View Post
Dodge noted!

You made a spurious claim that modern medicine was based on religion instead of being evidence based. You were asked to clearly show any evidence for this claim.

Then, this was your response. For the record, you were not asked To provide "evidence for mental illness". Is there something wrong with your reading comprehension?

Please answer the questions put to you. That's how discourse works, Jonesy.
Hardly a dodge. Without evidence for mental illness, nor even a definition that works, there is only cultural forces left.
Jonesboy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2013, 06:19 AM   #56
dlorde
Philosopher

I am telling you that JREF, and everyone here, is a supernaturalist of the worst kind, hypocritical at worst, gullible at best, skeptic.
Based on what - how does the OP lead you to this stunning insight?
Old 27th January 2013, 06:30 AM   #57
Squeegee Beckenheim
Philosopher

Judeo-christian materialism brings us Halloween, the mockery of death, the limitation of experiential fauna supplemented by the belief in the existence of only material objects, and its related rejection of altered states that challenge it.
Ah, you're one of those people who believe that mind-altering drugs reveal amazing insights to the nature of the universe, rather than chemically distorting the functioning of your brain, are you?
Squeegee Beckenheim is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2013, 07:01 AM   #58
Sideroxylon
Gavagai!

There is no evidence for mental illness. The reason for this is that it is a social category, and can merit no physical evidence.
I am quite sympathetic to some elements of philosophical idealism and suspect we could say that about pretty much all categories of things. It seems just as true about the categories of illness/disorder as it does species, furniture, atoms(?) and house plants. From this skepticism I chose to abandon the metaphysical questions about their levels of reality in the world and take a pragmatist stance.

Quote:
So, it is up to the mental illness pundits to say what the evidence is for mental illness. And there is none, not least because there is no coherent definition of the term coming from their camp.
Listen to biologists and their different ideas about what a species is. Hear the taxonomists argue about what human constructed category bucket something belongs to. When we take up the pragmatic position we just need to ask the question as to whether this category provides utility and in what situations and in what situations does it not.

The category illness defines things we would seek to remedy. And the quote I have provided above shows that mental health professionals recıgnise the harm/lack of utility in pathologizing conditions that people are not seeking treatment for. Though when it comes to mental conditions, sometimes the harm may not be recognized as such by the sufferer.

Last edited by Sideroxylon; 27th January 2013 at 07:03 AM.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2013, 07:39 AM   #59
dafydd
Banned

Judeo-christian materialism brings us Halloween .
Wrong, again.

The origins of the Modern Day Hallowe'en festival are of course, Celtic.

The ancient Irish called the festival "Samhain" (pronounced Sa-Wain), which is now the Gaelic word for the month of November, although in recent times the Hallowe'en is celebrated on October 31st.
Old 27th January 2013, 07:50 AM   #60
Squeegee Beckenheim
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
Listen to biologists and their different ideas about what a species is. Hear the taxonomists argue about what human constructed category bucket something belongs to.
I don't think Jonesboy will find this argument persuasive, seeing as how one of his recent threads uses exactly the same argument to say that nobody should study DNA.
Squeegee Beckenheim is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2013, 08:00 AM   #61
Sideroxylon
Gavagai!

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
I don't think Jonesboy will find this argument persuasive, seeing as how one of his recent threads uses exactly the same argument to say that nobody should study DNA.
I'll have to check that one out. We have a bit of common ground in skepticism about scientific realism though he seems to be very selective about what concepts he applies it to.
Old 27th January 2013, 09:04 AM   #62
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
We should follow his example of never studying anything.
Old 27th January 2013, 09:36 AM   #63
Squeegee Beckenheim
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
I'll have to check that one out. We have a bit of common ground in skepticism about scientific realism though he seems to be very selective about what concepts he applies it to.
Well, the entire thread is predicated on a lie, so it might not be the best example of applied scepticism.
Old 27th January 2013, 09:49 AM   #64
Jonesboy
Banned

Wrong, again.

The origins of the Modern Day Hallowe'en festival are of course, Celtic.

The ancient Irish called the festival "Samhain" (pronounced Sa-Wain), which is now the Gaelic word for the month of November, although in recent times the Hallowe'en is celebrated on October 31st.
Halloween, is of course, a modern invention. Nobody celebrates samhain but we "celebrate" Halloween with its mockery of celtic lore, mockery of the deceased and its horror kitsch entertainment.
Halloween is thus a modern "celebration" (what exactly are we celebrating btw?) invented by science and christianity, both of which abominate other realms and non-western religion.
Old 27th January 2013, 10:23 AM   #65
Jeff Corey
New York Skeptic

Halloween, is of course, a modern invention. Nobody celebrates samhain but we "celebrate" Halloween with its mockery of celtic lore, mockery of the deceased and its horror kitsch entertainment.
Halloween is thus a modern "celebration" (what exactly are we celebrating btw?) invented by science and christianity, both of which abominate other realms and non-western religion.
I don't know about Christianity, but I'm sure science had nothing to do with the "invention" of Hallowe'en.
Where do you get your bizarre ideas?
Jeff Corey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2013, 11:05 AM   #66
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

You believe in chemical possession? You said NDE's are "purely brain-generated phenomenon", as if to say other experiences are not.

Snicker.

Old 27th January 2013, 11:34 AM   #67
Jonesboy
Banned

Originally Posted by Jeff Corey View Post
I don't know about Christianity, but I'm sure science had nothing to do with the "invention" of Hallowe'en.
Who do you think promotes Halloween?

It isn't the Celts!
Old 27th January 2013, 11:39 AM   #68
dafydd
Banned

Being alive.
Old 27th January 2013, 11:40 AM   #69
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by Jeff Corey View Post
Not from the sum of human knowledge, that's for sure.
Old 27th January 2013, 11:46 AM   #70
Sideroxylon
Gavagai!

Who do you think promotes Halloween?

It isn't the Celts!
So you realize you have zero argument and there is nothing left but to derail with this kind of pointless rubbish.
Old 27th January 2013, 11:57 AM   #71
Mouldy Cheeses
Student

as soon as I read this thread...and the OP's stance towards mental health, psychiatrists.... alarm bells rang..

CCHR? (Citizens Commission on Human Rights) I could be wrong, but...

The argument presented is identical to one being currently pushed in several small on-line newspapers.... by members of the CCHR, who pretend they are not associated with an "Alien $ci-fi Cult" (one guess which one..)

Well as they say about a doctor who practices medicine in metal health when sitting in a full bathtub... "Psychiatrist has a silent P ..."
Mouldy Cheeses is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2013, 11:58 AM   #72
dafydd
Banned

Which evil cabal promotes St. Valentine's Day?
Old 27th January 2013, 11:59 AM   #73
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by Mouldy Cheeses View Post
Well as they say about a doctor who practices medicine in metal health when sitting in a full bathtub... "Psychiatrist has a silent P ..."
So they recycle tired old jokes.
Old 27th January 2013, 12:04 PM   #74
Sideroxylon
Gavagai!

Originally Posted by Mouldy Cheeses View Post
as soon as I read this thread...and the OP's stance towards mental health, psychiatrists.... alarm bells rang..

CCHR? (Citizens Commission on Human Rights) I could be wrong, but...

The argument presented is identical to one being currently pushed in several small on-line newspapers.... by members of the CCHR, who pretend they are not associated with an "Alien $ci-fi Cult" (one guess which one..)

What a world of wackiness that is. Church of Scientology blames Pearl Harbor, 9/11 on psychiatry
Old 27th January 2013, 12:12 PM   #75
dafydd
Banned

Him being a $cientologist would explain a lot.
Old 27th January 2013, 12:27 PM   #76
Captain_Swoop
Philosopher

I thought of Scientology when I started to read the thread.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2013, 12:30 PM   #77
Jonesboy
Banned

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
I thought of Scientology when I started to read the thread.

So lets get this straight. You are saying that people who don't believe in psychiatry know about an alien spaceman? Put me right on that? If you would?
Old 27th January 2013, 12:37 PM   #78
dafydd
Banned

So lets get this straight. You are saying that people who don't believe in psychiatry know about an alien spaceman? Put me right on that? If you would?
He didn't say that. Some misguided, brainwashed and badly misinformed people who believe in the cult of $cientology believe in Xenu.
Old 27th January 2013, 12:37 PM   #79
Sideroxylon
Gavagai!

No.
You beat up on a straw man of psychiatry.
Scientology does same.

You are welcome.
Old 27th January 2013, 12:45 PM   #80
Anerystos
Muse

''in which lurk demons who wash their hair in vinegar''

I had a girlfriend once who washed her hair in vinegar. She said the vinegar made her hair glossy.

I just reckoned that it made her smell like fish and chips.
Anerystos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

JREF Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology