JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
Click Here To Donate

Notices


Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Tags child custody , human rights , international law

Reply
Old 27th February 2013, 03:18 AM   #601
banquetbear
Muse
 
banquetbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 622
Originally Posted by DreamingNaiad View Post
They were dragged kicking and screaming from Italy? I must have missed that part.
...strawman. Why don't you stick to what I said rather than inventing something I didn't say?
banquetbear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 03:27 AM   #602
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector
 
ponderingturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tarrytown, NY
Posts: 28,359
Re: The Australian "custody sisters"

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
You simply have to be kidding. You are saying this with such certainty that you must have some evidence. Please provide such evidence that they know their father loves them more than the mother (and don't use weasel out of this by saying "I didn't say that". Your meaning is crystal clear).
It isn't about greater or lesser love. It is about drama and needyness.
__________________
Sufficiently advanced Woo is indistinguishable from Parody
"There shall be no *poofing* in science" Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Force ***** on reasons back" Ben Franklin
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 03:29 AM   #603
DreamingNaiad
Muse
 
DreamingNaiad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: The forgotten sweet abyss
Posts: 519
Originally Posted by banquetbear View Post
...strawman. Why don't you stick to what I said rather than inventing something I didn't say?
You said force was used to separate them from their father. It's possible deception was used but when was force used?
DreamingNaiad is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 03:40 AM   #604
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 33,558
Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
It isn't about greater or lesser love. It is about drama and needyness.
Another pointless statement lacking of evidence.
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 03:41 AM   #605
banquetbear
Muse
 
banquetbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 622
Originally Posted by DreamingNaiad View Post
You said force was used to separate them from their father. It's possible deception was used but when was force used?
...you need to understand the multiple meaning of the words "force." The girls were underaged living in another country without the ability to return to their father despite at least one of the girls stating she wanted to go home. There is no evidence that the girls had any options here: the decision to move countries and to have no contact with their father was a decision that was forced on them.
banquetbear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 03:49 AM   #606
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 33,558
Originally Posted by banquetbear View Post
...you need to understand the multiple meaning of the words "force." The girls were underaged living in another country without the ability to return to their father despite at least one of the girls stating she wanted to go home. There is no evidence that the girls had any options here: the decision to move countries and to have no contact with their father was a decision that was forced on them.
Yet another assertion devoid of evidence. Show how this decision was forced on them.

Hatred of the mother by people participating in this thread has led to amazing flights of fantasy.
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 03:53 AM   #607
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector
 
ponderingturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tarrytown, NY
Posts: 28,359
Re: The Australian "custody sisters"

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Another pointless statement lacking of evidence.
And we know all the best parents tell their kids to fight thr cops. Best mother ever for making that scene everyone loves so much for its heart warming joy.
__________________
Sufficiently advanced Woo is indistinguishable from Parody
"There shall be no *poofing* in science" Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Force ***** on reasons back" Ben Franklin
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 03:57 AM   #608
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 33,558
Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
And we know all the best parents tell their kids to fight thr cops. Best mother ever for making that scene everyone loves so much for its heart warming joy.
When you have something of substance to say come on back.
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 04:12 AM   #609
banquetbear
Muse
 
banquetbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 622
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Yet another assertion devoid of evidence. Show how this decision was forced on them.

Hatred of the mother by people participating in this thread has led to amazing flights of fantasy.
...where have I shown hatred of the mother? The answer is I haven't. In fact I've got sympathy for the mother: especially after having watched the 60 minutes documentary and seeing the way the grandmother acted.

I'm not showing any flights of fancy. I'm not claiming the girls were dragged kicking and screaming from Italy. As has been quoted several times:

Quote:
The fact that the youngest child could go from stating in May last year that she wanted to go home to Italy to her home in the Tuscan countryside to now asserting that “Italy’s a scary place. I don’t feel comfortable” and writing that she would stab herself if she was sent back to Italy, when she has not been back to Italy in the meantime, causes me to conclude that she has probably been subjected to considerable influence by persons close to her.
The youngest wanted to return home. She couldn't because of the circumstances of her removal from Italy. This wasn't her choice. If she had had a choice it would have been to go home. From your words in this thread I'm surprised you didn't support her wishes to return to Italy.

The girls were forced by their mum to not return home despite the desire of some of them to do so. This is entirely supported by the weight of the evidence. At some stage after wishing to go home the youngest girl's attitude changed completely. She started writing she would stab herself before returning to Italy. Something happened to change her attitude and it wasn't the actions of the father.
banquetbear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 09:17 AM   #610
joesixpack
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Edge of the continent, Pacific county, WA
Posts: 4,534
Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
It isn't about greater or lesser love. It is about drama and needyness.
Thank you ponderingturtle, this is it exactly. It's not a question of which parent loves the children more, it's the level of confidence that they have in that parent's love.

"I love you if you throw a fit in front of the cameras for me" vs. "I love you regardless of how you feel about me at the moment"

One of these is parental love, the other is a bit crazy. I'm surprise that lionking is unable to distinguish the difference after allegedly raising children of his own. What I suspect is that he is more of a product of his time than he realizes. A time when men were largely excluded from parenting. Times have changed.
__________________
Generally sober 'til noon.
joesixpack is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 09:48 AM   #611
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector
 
ponderingturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tarrytown, NY
Posts: 28,359
Re: The Australian "custody sisters"

Originally Posted by joesixpack View Post
Thank you ponderingturtle, this is it exactly. It's not a question of which parent loves the children more, it's the level of confidence that they have in that parent's love.

"I love you if you throw a fit in front of the cameras for me" vs. "I love you regardless of how you feel about me at the moment"

One of these is parental love, the other is a bit crazy. I'm surprise that lionking is unable to distinguish the difference after allegedly raising children of his own. What I suspect is that he is more of a product of his time than he realizes. A time when men were largely excluded from parenting. Times have changed.
They might not think their mothers love is contingent on their presence but her well being. "I love you so much I will be lost with out you here".
__________________
Sufficiently advanced Woo is indistinguishable from Parody
"There shall be no *poofing* in science" Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Force ***** on reasons back" Ben Franklin
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 09:54 AM   #612
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.
 
Dr. Keith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,971
Originally Posted by banquetbear View Post
The youngest wanted to return home. She couldn't because of the circumstances of her removal from Italy. This wasn't her choice. If she had had a choice it would have been to go home. From your words in this thread I'm surprised you didn't support her wishes to return to Italy.
Well, she hadn't yet been taught that you have to throw a fit in front of TV cameras if you really want something, so that may have something to do with it.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2013, 12:31 PM   #613
Seismosaurus
Illuminator
 
Seismosaurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Banbury
Posts: 3,915
Originally Posted by ehcks View Post
So. About that thing you didn't do.
Exactly - I answered the question.

The fact the nobody else seems willing says a lot about their agenda here, IMO.
__________________
Promise of diamonds in eyes of coal
She carries beauty in her soul
Seismosaurus is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2013, 08:34 PM   #614
Shiner
Motor Mouth
 
Shiner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Up the creek.
Posts: 1,698
My $0.02,

I don't think it's been established that the girls tantrums before, during and after boarding the plane, were due to "fear of their father". Really? That's hyperbole at best.

What is clear, is that they were convinced (by their mother) that returning to Italy would mean not seeing their mother for an indefinite period. (forever in the minds of children)

The analogy between this case and random child abduction is ridiculous. The father gave permission for his children to leave the country of their birth. He says this in the 60 Minutes interview. (and other interviews)

"The best interests of the child" can only be addressed in the country of their legal residence as determined by the custody agreement. The Hague convention has to be actioned before any other proceedings. The "exceptional circumstances" clause was deemed not applicable in this case.
IMO, (regardless of the traumatic circumstances) the best interests of these children have been met to the letter of the law.

The judges report is quite explicit in it's description of the mothers manipulation of the children and the legal system. I can't see how it would have been "in the best interest of the children" to be left in that environment.


Oh, fwiw, you only see/hear what 60 minutes wants you to see.........

*I can't see how they could've portrayed the grandmother in a good way though*

Last edited by Shiner; 2nd March 2013 at 08:40 PM.
Shiner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2013, 08:47 PM   #615
ehcks
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,621
Originally Posted by Seismosaurus View Post
Exactly - I answered the question.
Originally Posted by ehcks View Post
You answered it by questioning if that's what actually happened, even though that it happened is one of the few facts we have.
I feel like I've done this already.
__________________
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanlon%27s_razor
ehcks is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2013, 09:02 PM   #616
Charlie Wilkes
Illuminator
 
Charlie Wilkes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,325
Originally Posted by Shiner View Post
My $0.02,

I don't think it's been established that the girls tantrums before, during and after boarding the plane, were due to "fear of their father". Really? That's hyperbole at best.

What is clear, is that they were convinced (by their mother) that returning to Italy would mean not seeing their mother for an indefinite period. (forever in the minds of children)

The analogy between this case and random child abduction is ridiculous. The father gave permission for his children to leave the country of their birth. He says this in the 60 Minutes interview. (and other interviews)

"The best interests of the child" can only be addressed in the country of their legal residence as determined by the custody agreement. The Hague convention has to be actioned before any other proceedings. The "exceptional circumstances" clause was deemed not applicable in this case.
IMO, (regardless of the traumatic circumstances) the best interests of these children have been met to the letter of the law.

The judges report is quite explicit in it's description of the mothers manipulation of the children and the legal system. I can't see how it would have been "in the best interest of the children" to be left in that environment.
I don't think there's any real question but that the father has the law on his side. But I still think it would have been in everyone's best interest to leave the police out of it and continue to negotiate, coaxing the children if possible but allowing them the final recourse of refusing to get on that plane.

It seems to me this father is a glutton for punishment. Four girls between 9-14 who don't want to be there? I would have gladly sent a monthly check to the other hemisphere, gone there on vacations, shown the kids a good time, and then handed them back over to mom. And I think this mom is devoted to her kids, whatever character flaws she has.
Charlie Wilkes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2013, 09:05 PM   #617
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator
 
WildCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Albany Park, Chicago
Posts: 53,863
Originally Posted by Charlie Wilkes View Post
I don't think there's any real question but that the father has the law on his side. But I still think it would have been in everyone's best interest to leave the police out of it and continue to negotiate, coaxing the children if possible but allowing them the final recourse of refusing to get on that plane.
How would there be any negotiation at all without police involvement? You think psycho mom was going to answer dad's phone calls, letters, emails, etc??
WildCat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2013, 09:10 PM   #618
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing
 
tyr_13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Falconer, NY
Posts: 11,986
Originally Posted by Charlie Wilkes View Post
I don't think there's any real question but that the father has the law on his side. But I still think it would have been in everyone's best interest to leave the police out of it and continue to negotiate, coaxing the children if possible but allowing them the final recourse of refusing to get on that plane.

It seems to me this father is a glutton for punishment. Four girls between 9-14 who don't want to be there? I would have gladly sent a monthly check to the other hemisphere, gone there on vacations, shown the kids a good time, and then handed them back over to mom. And I think this mom is devoted to her kids, whatever character flaws she has.
She wouldn't let him see them when he went there. Why are you throwing out speculations that run exactly contrary to what actually happened? The entire reason for involving the police is that they couldn't work things out without them, and it seems entirely on the mother that that was the case.
__________________
Circled nothing is still nothing.
"Nothing will stop the U.S. from being a world leader, not even a handful of adults who want their kids to take science lessons from a book that mentions unicorns six times." -UNLoVedRebel
Mumpsimus: a stubborn person who insists on making an error in spite of being shown that it is wrong
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2013, 09:34 PM   #619
Shiner
Motor Mouth
 
Shiner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Up the creek.
Posts: 1,698
Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
She wouldn't let him see them when he went there. Why are you throwing out speculations that run exactly contrary to what actually happened? The entire reason for involving the police is that they couldn't work things out without them, and it seems entirely on the mother that that was the case.
This^^

The opportunity to do it peacefully was ignored.

Quote:
Back in May, a court ordered the children to be placed on a plane at Brisbane Airport and flown to Italy. They didn’t show up. In fact, the mother, working in concert with her various female relatives, had hidden them and taken their cell phones so they could neither contact anyone nor be contacted. Incredibly, the mother claimed to the court that she had no idea where the girls were or, when they were found, who had secreted them away. For having violated a court order and then flagrantly lied to the court, she was rewarded with custody. The kids were unhappy in foster care and so a judge returned them to their mother whose most noteworthy feature to date had been her frank willingness to violate the law.

http://www.fathersandfamilies.org/20...back-to-italy/
Shiner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2013, 09:42 PM   #620
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 33,558
Originally Posted by Shiner View Post
This^^

The opportunity to do it peacefully was ignored.
Pretty dodgy fathers rights website you linked to.
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2013, 09:55 PM   #621
Shiner
Motor Mouth
 
Shiner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Up the creek.
Posts: 1,698
Originally Posted by joesixpack View Post
This article states that they were taken out of foster care and returned to the mother but is unclear when they went into the foster system. I believe it was after she had hidden them after the first time the court ruled that they return to tialy
Correct.

Quote:
Under the terms of the return order, the children, aged between nine and 15, were due to fly back to Italy in May. They refused to go and their family went public with their story.
In an attempt to avoid the return order, the children went on the run with their maternal great-grandmother.
They were found soon after and placed into foster care until worries for their emotional well-being saw them returned to the temporary custody of their Sunshine Coast mother.
Since then, there has been a High Court challenge (essentially arguing minors were entitled to their own, separate legal representation in custody issues), which was rejected on the first day of the hearing, several adjournments and appeals.


Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/quee...#ixzz2MSAh5Hy6
Shiner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2013, 10:01 PM   #622
Shiner
Motor Mouth
 
Shiner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Up the creek.
Posts: 1,698
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Pretty dodgy fathers rights website you linked to.
Yeah, I'm aware of that. It's a link that's been used throughout this thread. Gives a good overview of the story, and doesn't try to hide it's bias.

Try the Brisbane Times court reporting and the judges findings. Or you could just keep stirring the pot....
Shiner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2013, 10:07 PM   #623
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 33,558
Originally Posted by Shiner View Post

Try the Brisbane Times court reporting and the judges findings. Or you could just keep stirring the pot....
Having an alternative opinion is not stirring the pot in my view, but whatever.....
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2013, 10:25 PM   #624
Charlie Wilkes
Illuminator
 
Charlie Wilkes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,325
Originally Posted by Shiner View Post
Yeah, I'm aware of that. It's a link that's been used throughout this thread. Gives a good overview of the story, and doesn't try to hide it's bias.
No, it certainly does not try to hide its bias.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Doz5w2W-jAY
Charlie Wilkes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2013, 11:17 PM   #625
Shiner
Motor Mouth
 
Shiner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Up the creek.
Posts: 1,698
Originally Posted by Charlie Wilkes View Post
No, it certainly does not try to hide its bias.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Doz5w2W-jAY
Funny. That's about the size of it.

I don't think it's relevant in the context of my use of the quote from the article.

Maybe next time I'll find another source and save myself the trouble.
Shiner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2013, 11:30 PM   #626
Shiner
Motor Mouth
 
Shiner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Up the creek.
Posts: 1,698
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Having an alternative opinion is not stirring the pot in my view, but whatever.....

The position you're arguing;( that it may? have been in the childrens best interests to be left with their mother until custody can be settled ) can only be argued seriously if you completely ignore Australian, Italian, and international law.

Sounds like stirring to me, but whatever.......

"In the child's best interest" is what has happened. They have returned to Italy where any custody dispute needs to be settled.
Shiner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2013, 12:56 AM   #627
smartcooky
Master Poster
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 2,367
Originally Posted by Charlie Wilkes View Post
I don't think there's any real question but that the father has the law on his side. But I still think it would have been in everyone's best interest to leave the police out of it and continue to negotiate, coaxing the children if possible but allowing them the final recourse of refusing to get on that plane.

It seems to me this father is a glutton for punishment. Four girls between 9-14 who don't want to be there? I would have gladly sent a monthly check to the other hemisphere, gone there on vacations, shown the kids a good time, and then handed them back over to mom. And I think this mom is devoted to her kids, whatever character flaws she has.
If I were in a situation where I had four daughters of that age group who had made it abundantly clear that they didn't want to live with me, then I would simply have let them go live with their mother if that is what they wanted.

Actually, unless there are issues of the daughters being in some kind of physical danger with their mother, I question the motives of ANY father who would want to force his teenage daughters to live with him against their will.
__________________
OCCAMS Razor - 9/11 was a terrorist attack by Islamic extremists organised by Osama Bin Laden; the Apollo astronauts walked on the Moon; JFK was assassinated by a single gunmen, Lee Harvey Oswald, acting alone.
► "Conspiracism is a shortcut to the illusion of erudition." - JayUtah
► Heisenberg's Law - The weirdness of the Universe is inversely proportional to the scale at which you observe it, or not.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2013, 01:07 AM   #628
Shiner
Motor Mouth
 
Shiner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Up the creek.
Posts: 1,698
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
If I were in a situation where I had four daughters of that age group who had made it abundantly clear that they didn't want to live with me, then I would simply have let them go live with their mother if that is what they wanted.

Actually, unless there are issues of the daughters being in some kind of physical danger with their mother, I question the motives of ANY father who would want to force his teenage daughters to live with him against their will.
Touche'. Can't argue that.......but, 'what if?'

..... it was known to you that the children were being deliberately turned against you?
(hypothetically of course)
Shiner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2013, 01:13 AM   #629
smartcooky
Master Poster
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 2,367
Originally Posted by Shiner View Post
Touche'. Can't argue that.......but, 'what if?'

..... it was known to you that the children were being deliberately turned against you?
(hypothetically of course)
Well that makes it harder of course, but one thing is for sure. I am not going to force them to live with me if they don't want to, because that will only serve to reinforce whatever their mother is telling them about me, making her appear righteous in the eyes of the children, and giving her the ammunition she needs.

I simply would not play that game; where the children become powerless pawns in a battle between their mother and me.
__________________
OCCAMS Razor - 9/11 was a terrorist attack by Islamic extremists organised by Osama Bin Laden; the Apollo astronauts walked on the Moon; JFK was assassinated by a single gunmen, Lee Harvey Oswald, acting alone.
► "Conspiracism is a shortcut to the illusion of erudition." - JayUtah
► Heisenberg's Law - The weirdness of the Universe is inversely proportional to the scale at which you observe it, or not.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2013, 10:45 AM   #630
Caper
Illuminator
 
Caper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 4,204
Originally Posted by Shiner View Post
Touche'. Can't argue that.......but, 'what if?'

..... it was known to you that the children were being deliberately turned against you?
(hypothetically of course)
Yes... And let's also add that, two grotesque older pigs... One an auto thief....were to have influence in your daughters development?
Caper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2013, 10:47 AM   #631
Caper
Illuminator
 
Caper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 4,204
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Well that makes it harder of course, but one thing is for sure. I am not going to force them to live with me if they don't want to, because that will only serve to reinforce whatever their mother is telling them about me, making her appear righteous in the eyes of the children, and giving her the ammunition she needs.

I simply would not play that game; where the children become powerless pawns in a battle between their mother and me.
All you need is time. Their still kids, you can change them into Nazis if you wanted too.
Caper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2013, 11:33 AM   #632
smartcooky
Master Poster
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 2,367
Originally Posted by Caper View Post
All you need is time. Their still kids, you can change them into Nazis if you wanted too.

Well I see it this way.

1. You can allow the kids to live with their mother
- It risks the possibility that she might turn them away from you.
- It risks the possibility that some or all of them might suffer some traumatic experience in the future

2. You can have them dragged kicking and screaming away from their mother
- This will guarantee that they turn against you and hate you!
- This will ensure for certain that they suffer that psychologically traumatic experience, now.

At least with choice 1, you have a chance for things to be made right for them. If you take choice 2, you have put yourself in a difficult (IMO impossible) position and cast yourself in the role of the villain in their eyes, confirming exactly what their mother has been saying about you.

The effect of that will be exceedingly difficult to overcome. Even a first year psychology student will tell you that a realisation that comes about as a result of a traumatic experience has a greater tendency to have a lasting effect - you remember your unpleasant lessons better!

With the 14 year old, the father won't have a have lot of time. Under Italian Law, at 16 she is entitled to leave home, and I'll bet she does.
__________________
OCCAMS Razor - 9/11 was a terrorist attack by Islamic extremists organised by Osama Bin Laden; the Apollo astronauts walked on the Moon; JFK was assassinated by a single gunmen, Lee Harvey Oswald, acting alone.
► "Conspiracism is a shortcut to the illusion of erudition." - JayUtah
► Heisenberg's Law - The weirdness of the Universe is inversely proportional to the scale at which you observe it, or not.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2013, 04:38 PM   #633
katy_did
Graduate Poster
 
katy_did's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,917
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
If I were in a situation where I had four daughters of that age group who had made it abundantly clear that they didn't want to live with me, then I would simply have let them go live with their mother if that is what they wanted.

Actually, unless there are issues of the daughters being in some kind of physical danger with their mother, I question the motives of ANY father who would want to force his teenage daughters to live with him against their will.
The father isn't 'forcing' his children to live with him. They've been returned to Italy so the appropriate court can make a decision on who they should live with; for all we know the court may decide it should be their mother in Australia. The only reason the kids are living with their father at the moment is that their mother didn't return to Italy with them to resume the shared custody agreement.

It can't be in the children's best interests to be systematically alienated from their father and his family (the Italian grandmother has also said that up until a year ago she had good contact with the girls, but that they subsequently refused to speak to her). We could also "question the motives" of a father who would willingly leave his children in a situation where he suspected that was happening. It may not be what you would have chosen to do, but I can't see that the father's actions here are unreasonable.
__________________
"All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil, to crazy Ahab, were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Moby Dick".

Last edited by katy_did; 3rd March 2013 at 04:39 PM.
katy_did is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2013, 05:03 PM   #634
Caper
Illuminator
 
Caper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 4,204
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Well I see it this way.

1. You can allow the kids to live with their mother
- It risks the possibility that she might turn them away from you.
- It risks the possibility that some or all of them might suffer some traumatic experience in the future

2. You can have them dragged kicking and screaming away from their mother
- This will guarantee that they turn against you and hate you!
- This will ensure for certain that they suffer that psychologically traumatic experience, now.

At least with choice 1, you have a chance for things to be made right for them. If you take choice 2, you have put yourself in a difficult (IMO impossible) position and cast yourself in the role of the villain in their eyes, confirming exactly what their mother has been saying about you.

The effect of that will be exceedingly difficult to overcome. Even a first year psychology student will tell you that a realisation that comes about as a result of a traumatic experience has a greater tendency to have a lasting effect - you remember your unpleasant lessons better!

With the 14 year old, the father won't have a have lot of time. Under Italian Law, at 16 she is entitled to leave home, and I'll bet she does.
I bet she doesn't. Also, I completely don't by your premise.

Under option one you leave them with their mother and grandmother and great grandmother.... and you risk the girls growing up into miserable hogs, like their grandmother or great grandmother..

Do you think it's a good thing to raise girls to be miserable hogs? I don't.

Also.... if they don't grow up to be miserable hogs... do you think it will be healthy for them to find out they were lied to by their mother and denied a relationship with their father? I quoted a girl earlier who told a similar story of how she was traumatized by her mothers lies about her father.... and felt terrible how she treated him.
Caper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2013, 05:08 PM   #635
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing
 
tyr_13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Falconer, NY
Posts: 11,986
Providing children the best opportunities in life doesn't always mean they'll like you while you do.
__________________
Circled nothing is still nothing.
"Nothing will stop the U.S. from being a world leader, not even a handful of adults who want their kids to take science lessons from a book that mentions unicorns six times." -UNLoVedRebel
Mumpsimus: a stubborn person who insists on making an error in spite of being shown that it is wrong
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2013, 06:34 PM   #636
smartcooky
Master Poster
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 2,367
Originally Posted by katy_did View Post
The father isn't 'forcing' his children to live with him.
If having the police drag them screaming away from their mother isn't forcing them, then what is?

Quote:
It can't be in the children's best interests to be systematically alienated from their father and his family
It also cannot be in their best interests to physically and forcibly remove them from their mother, against their obvious protestations.

The Australian Police treated them the same way they treat criminals when they resist arrest. NOTHING justifies the way that these young girls were physically assaulted by the Police.

Originally Posted by katy_did View Post
the Italian grandmother has also said that up until a year ago she had good contact with the girls, but that they subsequently refused to speak to her
And I wonder why that is. Perhaps something happened in Italy that we don't know about.

Originally Posted by katy_did View Post
We could also "question the motives" of a father who would willingly leave his children in a situation where he suspected that was happening. It may not be what you would have chosen to do, but I can't see that the father's actions here are unreasonable.
Leaving them with the mother while the issues are dealt with is a far better option than physically dragging them away when it is clear that they do not want to return to their father.

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
Providing children the best opportunities in life doesn't always mean they'll like you while you do.
Sanctimonious claptrap. We aren't talking about making them do their homework or assigning them chores. It is about where they live.

Personally, no matter how I felt about my children, or how much I loved them, I would rather they be happy living with their mother, than miserable living with me, and hating me because I forced them to do so.

Originally Posted by Caper View Post
Under option one you leave them with their mother and grandmother and great grandmother.... and you risk the girls growing up into miserable hogs, like their grandmother or great grandmother.
Do you think it's a good thing to raise girls to be miserable hogs? I don't.[/quote]


You are substituting your personal judgement for facts.

I don't judge people by their appearance or how they appear to act in a stressful situation. If you wan't to see a great example of what can happen when the public judge people because they don't act according to the way people expect, look no further that the disgraceful way the Australian courts and public treated Lindy & Michael Chamberlain.

Originally Posted by Caper View Post
Also.... if they don't grow up to be miserable hogs... do you think it will be healthy for them to find out they were lied to by their mother and denied a relationship with their father? I quoted a girl earlier who told a similar story of how she was traumatized by her mothers lies about her father.... and felt terrible how she treated him.
Notwithstanding your biased personal judgement of the mother, I will admit there is a possibility of that happening, but I'll take the possibility over the certainty any day, and the certainty is that physically assaulting young teenagers by dragging them away from their mother will have a lasting traumatic effect that will live long in their memories, and for which the father will probably never be forgiven.
__________________
OCCAMS Razor - 9/11 was a terrorist attack by Islamic extremists organised by Osama Bin Laden; the Apollo astronauts walked on the Moon; JFK was assassinated by a single gunmen, Lee Harvey Oswald, acting alone.
► "Conspiracism is a shortcut to the illusion of erudition." - JayUtah
► Heisenberg's Law - The weirdness of the Universe is inversely proportional to the scale at which you observe it, or not.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2013, 06:39 PM   #637
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing
 
tyr_13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Falconer, NY
Posts: 11,986
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Sanctimonious claptrap. We aren't talking about making them do their homework or assigning them chores. It is about where they live.
Right, something much more important than doing homework. Seriously, have you even considered that you're wrong? That's not a defense of your argument at all.

Quote:
Personally, no matter how I felt about my children, or how much I loved them, I would rather they be happy living with their mother, than miserable living with me, and hating me because I forced them to do so.
False dichotomy and knowing what they couldn't possibly know.
__________________
Circled nothing is still nothing.
"Nothing will stop the U.S. from being a world leader, not even a handful of adults who want their kids to take science lessons from a book that mentions unicorns six times." -UNLoVedRebel
Mumpsimus: a stubborn person who insists on making an error in spite of being shown that it is wrong
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2013, 09:15 PM   #638
smartcooky
Master Poster
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 2,367
Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
Seriously, have you even considered that you're wrong?
I could be wrong about the mother, but then, so could anyone else posting here. I could be wrong about the father, but then, so could anyone else posting here.

But there is one thing that I know I am right about.

There was absolutely NO JUSTIFICATION WHATSOEVER for the Police to subject four innocent teenage and pre-teen children to the barbaric act of physically assaulting them and dragging them screaming away from their mother.

This situation was appallingly handled by the authorities, and the trauma inflicted on these girls was totally unnecessary. One or both of the parents may have been to blame for the situation but the Police alone are responsible for the brutal way they handled it.

Any half-decent hostage negotiator could have had those children out and on the plane quietly and without any fuss or bother given a few hours. There was no all-fired hurry to get them on the plane to Italy... the courts could simply have waited for them.
__________________
OCCAMS Razor - 9/11 was a terrorist attack by Islamic extremists organised by Osama Bin Laden; the Apollo astronauts walked on the Moon; JFK was assassinated by a single gunmen, Lee Harvey Oswald, acting alone.
► "Conspiracism is a shortcut to the illusion of erudition." - JayUtah
► Heisenberg's Law - The weirdness of the Universe is inversely proportional to the scale at which you observe it, or not.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2013, 09:24 PM   #639
Sideroxylon
Gavagai!
 
Sideroxylon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 13,946
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
I could be wrong about the mother, but then, so could anyone else posting here. I could be wrong about the father, but then, so could anyone else posting here.

But there is one thing that I know I am right about.

There was absolutely NO JUSTIFICATION WHATSOEVER for the Police to subject four innocent teenage and pre-teen children to the barbaric act of physically assaulting them and dragging them screaming away from their mother.

This situation was appallingly handled by the authorities, and the trauma inflicted on these girls was totally unnecessary. One or both of the parents may have been to blame for the situation but the Police alone are responsible for the brutal way they handled it.

Any half-decent hostage negotiator could have had those children out and on the plane quietly and without any fuss or bother given a few hours. There was no all-fired hurry to get them on the plane to Italy... the courts could simply have waited for them.
No good justification at least. What was it that an officer said at to one of the kids? "You are under arrest"? It was something like that and it sounded odd.
__________________
'The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool.' - Richard Feynman
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2013, 09:51 PM   #640
Wildy
Adelaidean
 
Wildy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Australia, not that you'll read the "location" field.
Posts: 10,243
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
The Australian Police treated them the same way they treat criminals when they resist arrest. NOTHING justifies the way that these young girls were physically assaulted by the Police.
So the girls preventing the execution of a court order isn't a valid reason? And what do you think that the police should have done? Ignored the law because you don't like what they ultimately did?

Quote:
And I wonder why that is. Perhaps something happened in Italy that we don't know about.
Considering that they haven't even been back in Italy for a year I'd say that this is less likely than the girls being influenced by the unsavoury members of the mother's family.

Quote:
Leaving them with the mother while the issues are dealt with is a far better option than physically dragging them away when it is clear that they do not want to return to their father.
So leaving them with the mother and her family members who are manipulating the girls is a good idea?

Quote:
Sanctimonious claptrap. We aren't talking about making them do their homework or assigning them chores. It is about where they live.
Because that doesn't fall under the "what's best for them" category.

Quote:
Personally, no matter how I felt about my children, or how much I loved them, I would rather they be happy living with their mother, than miserable living with me, and hating me because I forced them to do so.
Because screw inconvenient things like the law right? For all we know the girls could look back on this later on in life and find that it was the best thing that ever happened to them.

Quote:
You are substituting your personal judgement for facts.
This coming from Mr "daddy is sexually abusing his daughters".

Quote:
I don't judge people by their appearance or how they appear to act in a stressful situation.
And yet you're more than willing to pass judgement on the father and his family.

Quote:
If you wan't to see a great example of what can happen when the public judge people because they don't act according to the way people expect, look no further that the disgraceful way the Australian courts and public treated Lindy & Michael Chamberlain.
Ah yes the Chamberlains, another case whose public perception was influenced by biased reporting by the media.

Quote:
Notwithstanding your biased personal judgement of the mother, I will admit there is a possibility of that happening, but I'll take the possibility over the certainty any day, and the certainty is that physically assaulting young teenagers by dragging them away from their mother will have a lasting traumatic effect that will live long in their memories, and for which the father will probably never be forgiven.
Prove it. If you know this for a certainty you should be able to provide evidence to back it up.
__________________
Latest Blog Posts:Atheism+
More Atheism+ stuff


Last edited by Wildy; 3rd March 2013 at 09:52 PM. Reason: removed snipped stuff.
Wildy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

JREF Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:04 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2001-2013, James Randi Educational Foundation. All Rights Reserved.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.