JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Old 27th February 2013, 10:53 AM   #1
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Dog shoots man

http://www2.highlandstoday.com/news/...say-ar-643226/

Quote:
SEBRING --

It's a case of dog shoots man, not man shoots dog. Well, sort of.

A Frostproof man reported to Sebring police on Feb. 23 that he was traveling in his truck when his dog kicked a gun on the truck's floor, resulting in him being shot in the leg, according to a report.

Sebring police ruled the shooting accidental, and apparently the victim was not seriously injured.

<SNIP>
Old 27th February 2013, 11:04 AM   #2
Cylinder
Philosopher

It's time to close the canine loophole.

Seriously though - firearm safety is more about the things you didn't think of than the things you did.
If you will not fight for the right when you can easily win without bloodshed ; if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than live as slaves. - Winston Churchill, The Gathering Storm
Cylinder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 11:15 AM   #3
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

And like all negative forms of safety, cannot be assured.
Old 27th February 2013, 11:40 AM   #4
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I would have thought it common sense to unload a gun when it wasn't in immediate use.
Old 27th February 2013, 11:49 AM   #5
Carnivore
Salad Dodger

He was frostproof but not bulletproof? That's a weird superpower.
Old 27th February 2013, 12:03 PM   #6
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I would have thought it common sense to unload a gun when it wasn't in immediate use.
Common sense isn't all that common. You are correct. In many jurisdictions, it is illegal to have a loaded weapon in a vehicle under way. If for some strange reason you don't unload the gun, anybody with a minimum of sense would have the safety on (if equipped) and the gun in a holster or scabbard. Leaving a loaded weapon loose on the floor of a vehicle with a dog is the height of stupidity, if you care at all for your own safety or that of the dog, or, for that matter people in the vicinity of the vehicle.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 12:08 PM   #7
CORed
Philosopher

From the linked article.
Quote:
Gregory Dale Lanier, 35, the victim, told investigators that he thought the gun in his pickup truck was not loaded.
For the love of ... It takes a few seconds to check if the gun is loaded. According to the aritcle, it was a 9mm, so probably a semi-auto pistol. It might have had a round in the chamber and empty magazine, but, again, that's something you check, if you have any sense at all.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 12:09 PM   #8
The Fallen Serpent
Master Poster

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
Common sense isn't all that common. You are correct. In many jurisdictions, it is illegal to have a loaded weapon in a vehicle under way. If for some strange reason you don't unload the gun, anybody with a minimum of sense would have the safety on (if equipped) and the gun in a holster or scabbard. Leaving a loaded weapon loose on the floor of a vehicle with a dog is the height of stupidity, if you care at all for your own safety or that of the dog, or, for that matter people in the vicinity of the vehicle.
Agreed. The way some people handle their firearms just infuriates me. Firearm safety is not just how safely one shoots, it is how one takes precaution with a firearm at all times including when not in one's own hands.

EDIT:

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
From the linked article.

For the love of ... It takes a few seconds to check if the gun is loaded. According to the aritcle, it was a 9mm, so probably a semi-auto pistol. It might have had a round in the chamber and empty magazine, but, again, that's something you check, if you have any sense at all.
Even then, one should not take such risks and leave an even unloaded gun on the floor of a vehicle.

Last edited by The Fallen Serpent; 27th February 2013 at 12:11 PM.
The Fallen Serpent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 12:18 PM   #9
Xulld
Master Poster

All guns intended for defense should be loaded. All loaded firearms should be in a holster either on the person responsible for the firearm, or holstered and/or placed in a container. The law in Florida requires this, and makes sense IMHO.

Holsters do an amazing job of preventing objects entering the trigger guard.

Freedom of Speech is a right recognized in the First Amendment. Freedom from consequence is nowhere to be found. -Bstrong

Last edited by Xulld; 27th February 2013 at 12:19 PM.
Xulld is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 12:18 PM   #10
Psi Baba
Homo Skepticalis

Glad the dog was not hurt.
Old 27th February 2013, 12:33 PM   #11
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Originally Posted by Carnivore View Post
He was frostproof but not bulletproof? That's a weird superpower.
Mr. Freeze.
Old 27th February 2013, 12:36 PM   #12
Alt+F4
diabolical globalist

Originally Posted by Xulld View Post
All guns intended for defense should be loaded. All loaded firearms should be in a holster either on the person responsible for the firearm, or holstered and/or placed in a container. The law in Florida requires this, and makes sense IMHO.
Recently, my father-in-law left a loaded, un-holstered gun on his kitchen table. I was the only one that was horrified.

The dog was sleeping in another room.
Old 27th February 2013, 01:46 PM   #13
Weak Kitten
Graduate Poster

I remember these sorts of stories not being all that uncommon back when I lived in Michigan. Hunting dogs would knock over or get tangled with rifles all the time. The news only seemed to report it if there was a fatality or the wound was in a particularly amusing place.
A quick reminder to all participants that although incomprehensibility is not against the Membership Agreement, incivility is. Please try and remember this, and keep your exchanges polite and respectful. -arthwollipot
Weak Kitten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 01:59 PM   #14
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

We've had a couple of cases of dogs shooting their owners here. The most common senario seems to be that when out hunting, the owner puts his rifle down to climb through or over a fence, and the dog steps on the trigger firing it.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 02:30 PM   #15
Xulld
Master Poster

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
We've had a couple of cases of dogs shooting their owners here. The most common senario seems to be that when out hunting, the owner puts his rifle down to climb through or over a fence, and the dog steps on the trigger firing it.
Yep, and that is why before crossing fences I unload my rifle. SOP for hunter education courses, and something I make sure is habitual for anyone I hunt with.

Dogs or not, stuff can get in the trigger guard, or click off a safety. If a loaded gun is not holstered, its a rattlesnake. When its holstered, its a rattlesnake in a box.

Originally Posted by Alt+F4 View Post
Recently, my father-in-law left a loaded, un-holstered gun on his kitchen table. I was the only one that was horrified.

The dog was sleeping in another room.
Makes me cringe!

Freedom of Speech is a right recognized in the First Amendment. Freedom from consequence is nowhere to be found. -Bstrong

Last edited by Xulld; 27th February 2013 at 02:34 PM.
Xulld is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 02:35 PM   #16
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

This dog should be investigated. Did it open a life insurance policy on the guy? Is it named in the will? If this guy has more brains than he's already proven himself to lack, he'll be careful around that dog. Or the next attempt might come off successful.
Old 27th February 2013, 04:35 PM   #17
CORed
Philosopher

This dog should be investigated. Did it open a life insurance policy on the guy? Is it named in the will? If this guy has more brains than he's already proven himself to lack, he'll be careful around that dog. Or the next attempt might come off successful.
Whether it planned the "accident" or not, it is highly likely that the dog is smarter than its owner.
Old 27th February 2013, 04:56 PM   #18
Soapy Sam
NLH

Just having a dog loose in a truck is pretty unsafe, even without a gun.
Soapy Sam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 06:08 PM   #19
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Soapy Sam View Post
Just having a dog loose in a truck is pretty unsafe, even without a gun.
Precisely! The dog may in fact be expert with a knife, or a secret master of the nunchucks, or have a piano wire garrotte concealed in its sleeve.
Old 28th February 2013, 12:09 PM   #20
Eskarina
Touched By His Noodly Appendages

I am glad to hear the dog was not hurt, too.

Sebring is not located in Arkansas, is it? Because I had a powerful Lewis Black moment coming up.

http://www.comedycentral.com/video-c...te-of-arkansas

Hope the video shows up for you.
Businesses come and go, and their emergences and dwindlings're as the waxing and waning of the moons. Religions stay around forever, tax-exempted to boot. What could be better than an organization where the consumer blames himself for product failure? - National Lampoon's Doon, Ellis Weiner
Eskarina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2013, 12:55 PM   #21
Xulld
Master Poster

Precisely! The dog may in fact be expert with a knife, or a secret master of the nunchucks, or have a piano wire garrotte concealed in its sleeve.
Or become pinned up against your arms due to G forces, and prevent you from executing defensive driving and saving your life or others.

Old 28th February 2013, 01:14 PM   #22
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Xulld View Post
Or become pinned up against your arms due to G forces, and prevent you from executing defensive driving and saving your life or others.
That sounds pretty unlikely. Sure, Freckles the pug got a jury to believe that. Then went on to live in his dead owners palatial Malibu dream house. But I for one question whether Freckles didn't deliberately crash that pink sports car, with malice aforethought, for the money.
Old 28th February 2013, 01:32 PM   #23
12AX7
Glowing red!

Then the owner wouldn't be able to defend himself from the roving bands of criminal thugs, Hell-bent on invading your home and raping your family.
12AX7 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2013, 01:35 PM   #24
DavidJames
Philosopher

My hunch is the idiot considered himself one of the responsible gun owners that feels us anti-gun folks are trying to take away his rights. It sure would suck if one of his guns took away one of his legs.
Beaver Hateman: Is your argument that human life loses value proportionate to the number of humans available? Malcolm Kirkpatrick: That's part of the argument. Value is determined by supply and demand.
DavidJames is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2013, 01:37 PM   #25
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Elypsis44 View Post
Then the owner wouldn't be able to defend himself from the roving bands of criminal thugs, Hell-bent on invading your home and raping your family.
What a horriffic idea! Live with my family? Like, they'd stay in my house? Ugh! I might well buy a gun to prevent that from happening.
Old 28th February 2013, 03:07 PM   #26
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

"Sebring Police Cmdr. Steve Carr said police did not arrest the dog or detain the animal, pending the investigation."

WTF???
WildCat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2013, 04:10 PM   #27
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by WildCat View Post
"Sebring Police Cmdr. Steve Carr said police did not arrest the dog or detain the animal, pending the investigation."

WTF???
One can only hope that Cmdr. Steve Carr has a sense of humour.

Oh, and the commander thinks that the "victim" may have invented the story.

Dog shoots man in Florida - maybe
Commander Steve Carr, a police spokesman in the central town of Sebring, where the shooting occurred on Saturday, said there were "some indications" the shooting victim may have made up his "dog shoots man" story.
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage

Last edited by EHocking; 28th February 2013 at 04:13 PM.
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2013, 07:39 PM   #28
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post

Commander Steve Carr, a police spokesman in the central town of Sebring, where the shooting occurred on Saturday, said there were "some indications" the shooting victim may have made up his "dog shoots man" story.
I wouldn't doubt it, the idiot didn't even know what caliber his gun is.
WildCat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2013, 05:54 AM   #29
P.J. Denyer
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Elypsis44 View Post
No the dog will defend them from those, the gun is to defend himself from the dog....... DOH!
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2013, 06:07 AM   #30
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader

The sad thing is that if he'd had a concealed carry permit, he could've stopped that dog before the dog had chance to open fire.

Personally, I think the dog overheard him talking to Jim Bob about "taking ol' Freckles in to have him fixed" and Freckles has this fine alsatian bitch he's had his eye on, so it was either bust a cap in his ass (literally, one hopes) or no more sprinkler parties for Freckles.

Don't you wish someone had slapped baby Hitler really really hard? [i] Dr. Buzzo 02/13 [i]
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2013, 06:10 AM   #31
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Did he have a dog license? Did the dog have a gun permit? Will Jessica find out about Chester? All these questions, and more, will be answered on the next episode of Soap.
Old 1st March 2013, 06:44 AM   #32
JPK
Graduate Poster

Re: Dog shoots man

Good morning.
It takes a good dog with a gun to stop a bad dog. BAD DOG. with a gun. I didn't read the article so I don't know if the gun was a longleg or a pawgun.
John Kardel
JPK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2013, 06:55 AM   #33
Nessie
Philosopher

Darwin Award, near miss category.
Old 1st March 2013, 07:04 AM   #34
uk_dave
Philosopher

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post

I like that.

Gun owner pretends to be a acceptably irresponsible gun owner to cover up for being an unacceptably irresponsible gun owner.
uk_dave is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2013, 07:06 AM   #35
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JPK View Post
Good morning.
It takes a good dog with a gun to stop a bad dog. BAD DOG. with a gun. I didn't read the article so I don't know if the gun was a longleg or a pawgun.
Don't be silly, the good dog doesn't need a gun, just a rolled up newspaper...

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2013, 07:16 AM   #36
P.J. Denyer
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by JPK View Post
Good morning.
But can a god dog with a gun stop a bad man with a old tennis ball?
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2013, 07:49 AM   #37
RenaissanceBiker
Eats shoots and leaves.

That's why I don't hunt with dogs.
Old 1st March 2013, 08:00 AM   #38
P.J. Denyer
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by RenaissanceBiker View Post
That's why I don't hunt with dogs.
They bag more than their limit?
Old 1st March 2013, 09:16 AM   #39
RenaissanceBiker
Eats shoots and leaves.

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
They bag more than their limit?
No. The real reason is I like the challenge of still hunting more. Hunting with dogs is more of a group effort and sometimes the guys who show up for dog hunts are not that safe. The only accidental shooting I have ever witnessed was just before a dog hunt. The guy shot his own foot with a 12-gauge (in a crowd of about 20 people). The dogs will chase the deer out of an area but whether someone manages to shoot them or not seems to be more luck than anything else. Still hunting requires you to learn more about deer patterns and movements. You have to outsmart them in their own environment rather than disrupt their environment and catch them fleeing it.
Old 1st March 2013, 09:34 AM   #40
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Originally Posted by RenaissanceBiker View Post
No. The real reason is I like the challenge of still hunting more. Hunting with dogs is more of a group effort and sometimes the guys who show up for dog hunts are not that safe. The only accidental shooting I have ever witnessed was just before a dog hunt. The guy shot his own foot with a 12-gauge (in a crowd of about 20 people). The dogs will chase the deer out of an area but whether someone manages to shoot them or not seems to be more luck than anything else. Still hunting requires you to learn more about deer patterns and movements. You have to outsmart them in their own environment rather than disrupt their environment and catch them fleeing it.
I've never understood the fun of hunting with hounds either, it just doesn't seem sporting. Especially something like cougar hunting where the dogs chase the cougar up a tree. Same goes with bear baiting, what's the challenge in that?

But I see the value of dogs for hunting ducks, it doesn't make killing them any easier they just swim out and retrieve it for you. And it's just a fun game to the dog.

JREF Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events