JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
Click Here To Donate

Notices


Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Tags bigfoot

Reply
Old 24th September 2013, 05:42 AM   #841
Drewbot
Illuminator
 
Drewbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 4,472
The fact that a Bigfooter is going to 'check out' Dyer's claims is funny. That would be like a Bigfoot group inviting another Bigfooter to come and check out it's special area, and then that Bigfooter saying "It was really really Squatchy there".

Did you expect any other result?
__________________
"I dont call that evolution, I call that the survival of the fittest." - Bulletmaker
"I thought skeptics would usually point towards a hoax rather than a group being duped." - makaya325
Kit is not a skeptic. He is a former Bigfoot believer that changed his position to that of non believer.- Crowlogic
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2013, 05:45 AM   #842
Garrette
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 12,432
Originally Posted by RoboTimbo View Post
Yes, she did. That's why you have the innate ability to tell when someone is lying.
__________________
My kids still love me.
Garrette is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2013, 06:52 AM   #843
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 10,191
Originally Posted by Nogard View Post
I don't blame you for disbelieving Rick's fantastic claims. This is a skeptic's forum after all. I just hope that you all will be willing to admit that you were wrong and that learner will live up to the bet. I fear, though, that no matter what comes out you will somehow discount it. Man, December can't come soon enough.
Why do you care so much about what JREF members are going to do after Rick proves to the entire scientific and non-scientific world that Bigfoot really does exist? Why us? Why not state your certain prediction and ask what will they do to, say, the Plumbers Union or the Stamp Collectors of America or the Tea Party or the Screen Actors Guild or the Starbucks Coffee Fanclub? Wouldn't the whole world be ripe to hear what you are saying and maybe place bets with you allowing you to collect millions?

Why are you so focused on hammering a handful of people on a niche specialty forum? Don't you even care about informing the many millions of Bigfoot deniers out there who aren't posting or reading this thread?
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2013, 07:03 AM   #844
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 10,191
Originally Posted by elkabong51 View Post
Nogard is dragon spelled backwards. Just thought I'd point that out.
That was already mentioned in post #55 soon after the OP. Just thought I'd point that out.
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2013, 07:27 AM   #845
Robrob
Philosopher
 
Robrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 5,508
Originally Posted by Nogard View Post
Okay, you got me, having 4 people lie for you is piss easy. I don't know why I said that...
Because you really, really want to believe its true?
__________________
Mister Earl: "The plural of bollocks is not evidence."
Robrob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2013, 07:31 AM   #846
dafydd
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: On the Flanders/Nederland border.
Posts: 35,445
Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post

Why are you so focused on hammering a handful of people on a niche specialty forum? Don't you even care about informing the many millions of Bigfoot deniers out there who aren't posting or reading this thread?
A Bigfoot body would be worldwide news. Dyer's theme tune is ''I ain't got no body...''
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2013, 08:05 AM   #847
elkabong51
Scholar
 
elkabong51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: The Cloud of Unknowing
Posts: 114
Oops.

Last edited by elkabong51; 24th September 2013 at 08:11 AM.
elkabong51 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2013, 08:07 AM   #848
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing
 
LTC8K6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Directly under a deadly chemtrail
Posts: 15,585
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
I'll bet I can get at least five posters here to agree with me that the word "gullible" is not in the dictionary... if I paid them enough!

History is replete with con-artists who had people tell lies to support their subterfuge. Ever heard of a pyramid selling scheme? Its almost impossible to run one solo; you need the tacit co-operation of other people to get more victims to join.
If they already believe the word isn't in the dictionary, they might even volunteer to lie for you...
__________________
What a fool believes, no wise man has the power to reason away. What seems to be, is always better than nothing.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2013, 08:08 AM   #849
elkabong51
Scholar
 
elkabong51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: The Cloud of Unknowing
Posts: 114
Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
That was already mentioned in post #55 soon after the OP. Just thought I'd point that out.
Ah, by you, my good man. Well done.
elkabong51 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2013, 09:04 AM   #850
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 10,191
Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
The fact that this interview even happened and then saw the light of day is a sad, sad commentary on the bigfoot field, as if it needed more such commentary.

It boils down to this, from the interviewer: Dyer has lied about nearly everything in the past, including everything of relevance. He has even lied about key aspects of his latest claim. In addition, he has admitted that he doesn't mind taking money from the gullible. In this interview he lies some more. But he admitted that he told horrible lies about me in the past so my journalistic integrity compels me to hold a softball interview and publish it.

Dyer is a liar. His latest claim is a lie. He's a fraud. Nogard is either Dyer himself or one of the gullible whom Nogard relishes fleecing.
IMO, Dyer doesn't even care if anyone believes his obvious hoax and he isn't putting much effort into trying to create a convincing hoax. He is doing what I would call Gonzo Bigfootery after Hunter Thompson. This is a style of promotion that relies on loud in your face bold proclamations with high drama and emotional swings. It usually looks like a manic phase of bipolarism. It's generally linked to a money making scheme or business. We've seen it in other fields and in Bigfootery we've seen it from Matt Moneymaker and Tom Biscardi. It is a strategized and calculated act that is meant to both draw attention and filter out those whose attention they do not want to draw. It is a method that helps ensure that your paying audience isn't going to hunt you down and lynch you because it wasn't as advertised. Dyer gives so many obvious clues of a hoax because he mainly wants the attention of Bigfoot drama fans who don't even care if there is a real body or that Bigfoot exists in the first place. This is like the Pro Wrestling fans who don't care if it's fake and they love the Gonzo promotion that is part of that form of entertainment.

Rick has no interest in promoting his scam to the academics or professionals. He knows that they won't have interest because they aren't the typical audience that has Cable TV junkies. The Finding Bigfoot series with huge ratings shows that there are many who will watch Gonzo Bigfootery repeatedly without forcing it to prove its own blustery bull. The audience loves to watch Matt and Bobo because they are Gonzo crazy and obviously full of crap.
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.

Last edited by William Parcher; 24th September 2013 at 09:34 AM.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2013, 09:40 AM   #851
Garrette
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 12,432
Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
IMO, Dyer doesn't even care if anyone believes his obvious hoax and he isn't putting much effort into trying to create a convincing hoax. He is doing what I would call Gonzo Bigfootery after Hunter Thompson. This is a style of promotion that relies on loud in your face bold proclamations with high drama and emotional swings. It usually looks like a manic phase of bipolarism. It's generally linked to a money making scheme or business. We've seen it in other fields and in Bigfootery we've seen it from Matt Moneymaker and Tom Biscardi. It is a strategized and calculated act that is meant to both draw attention and filter out those whose attention they do not want to draw. It is a method that helps ensure that your paying audience isn't going to hunt you down and lynch you because it wasn't as advertised. Dyer gives so many obvious clues of a hoax because he mainly wants the attention of Bigfoot drama fans who don't even care if there is a real body or that Bigfoot exists in the first place. This is like the Pro Wrestling fans who don't care if it's fake and they love the Gonzo promotion that is part of that form of entertainment.

Rick has no interest in promoting his scam to the academics or professionals. He knows that they won't have interest because they aren't the typical audience that has Cable TV junkies. The Finding Bigfoot series with huge ratings shows that there are many who will watch Gonzo Bigfootery repeatedly without forcing it to prove its own blustery bull. The audience loves to watch Matt and Bobo because they are Gonzo crazy and obviously full of crap.
Well said. I think I agree.
__________________
My kids still love me.
Garrette is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2013, 09:52 AM   #852
CORed
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Central City, Colorado, USA
Posts: 5,305
Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
If they already believe the word isn't in the dictionary, they might even volunteer to lie for you...
So you're saying that the word "gullible" is in the dictionary? Next you'll be saying that a duck's quack echoes, or that if it doesn't, somebody knows why
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2013, 10:29 AM   #853
Nogard
Scholar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 56
Originally Posted by desertgal View Post
What utter ********. Get over yourself.



Yeah, yeah. Man, this was covered in the first two pages of the thread.

Dedicated non footers here have said, over and over, long before you came along, that they would WELCOME the discovery of a real Bigfoot. I have a great deal of faith in our dedicated regulars because, hey, they're not known for ********ting and they don't fudge their data. If what "comes up" is verifiably authentic, then, no, non-believers won't discount it. Of course, in our case, "verifiably authentic" isn't the same as "a bunch of figbooters said so".

Yep, roll on December. And when it rolls past without the "big reveal", or the "big reveal" is shown to be yet one another of Rick Dyer's ******** hoaxes, are YOU going to admit you were wrong? Or just vanish from these forums? Cause I hate to break it to you, with you being so worried about our wrongness and all, but the odds of being right are in our favor. Pretty much stacked against you to the point they are about to topple over and bury you in your stupidity and foolishness. Right now, if you aren't Dyer, you just look like a tool.

ETA: Just out of curiosity, Nogard, why didn't you wait until after the big reveal to start this thread?
Okay I'll take your word for it, they'll accept the evidence, but no I won't vanish. I'll definitely admit I was wrong if by some miracle Dyer actually doesn't have a body. I posted before the reveal partly because I was bored and I wanted to see what everyone here would say about it. I didn't expect the thread to get this large.

William Parcher, I heard about this forum through bigfootevidence.blogspot.com and I thought I'd check it out. Why this niche and not others? Because its a site that tries to debunk outlandish claims like bigfoot and I'm interested in seeing people's reactions when it is proven real. I'm not out to make tons of money off bets. That's not me. I just made this bet because people were challenging my integrity.

If I could go back in time and not make this thread I would because all it did was annoy a few people.
Nogard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2013, 10:51 AM   #854
dafydd
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: On the Flanders/Nederland border.
Posts: 35,445
Originally Posted by Nogard View Post
Okay I'll take your word for it, they'll accept the evidence, but no I won't vanish. I'll definitely admit I was wrong if by some miracle Dyer actually doesn't have a body.
It won't take a miracle to show that he hasn't got a body. He hasn't got a body.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2013, 11:00 AM   #855
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 10,191
Originally Posted by Nogard View Post
I just made this bet because people were challenging my integrity.
Of course you do know that nobody can force you to pay on your losing bet. Of course you also know that you can suddenly demand that your opponent prove that Rick doesn't have a dead Bigfoot before you do anything and that this could be dragged out for as long as you like.

I'm curious if you are a Creationist in addition to being Christian?
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2013, 11:03 AM   #856
elkabong51
Scholar
 
elkabong51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: The Cloud of Unknowing
Posts: 114
Originally Posted by dafydd View Post
It won't take a miracle to show that he hasn't got a body. He hasn't got a body.
He, ain't got nobody......great, now I'll have that song stuck in my head for the rest of the afternoon.
elkabong51 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2013, 11:07 AM   #857
Garrette
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 12,432
Originally Posted by Nogard View Post
If I could go back in time and not make this thread I would because all it did was annoy a few people.
Even if that were true, it wouldn't mean you should retract it, but it isn't true. It also brought to light the fact that what Dyer has so far is a claim, nothing more. There is no evidence at all in support of the claim, and there is historical evidence to indicate that the claim is vacuous. So you did, indeed, do more than annoy people; you shed light on this hoax. And if you don't agree with my conclusion, you still shed the light.
__________________
My kids still love me.
Garrette is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2013, 11:14 AM   #858
carlitos
"más divertido"
 
carlitos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 14,041
Originally Posted by elkabong51 View Post
He, ain't got nobody......great, now I'll have that song stuck in my head for the rest of the afternoon.


YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the JREF. The JREF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2013, 11:31 AM   #859
Robrob
Philosopher
 
Robrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 5,508
Originally Posted by Nogard View Post
Okay I'll take your word for it, they'll accept the evidence, but no I won't vanish. I'll definitely admit I was wrong if by some miracle Dyer actually doesn't have a body.
My bet is the day it's not revealed will be the last day we hear from you.
__________________
Mister Earl: "The plural of bollocks is not evidence."
Robrob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2013, 11:35 AM   #860
Elizabeth I
Olympic Equestrian Wannabe
 
Elizabeth I's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Defending the Alamo
Posts: 9,915
Originally Posted by Alt+F4 View Post
Those bigfeet! It's impossible to take a photo of them without it being blurry. I think it has something to do with them being able to manipulate the time/space continuum.
I think the correct plural is "Bigfoots." Like the Proudfoot family in LOTR.
__________________

• There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. - Winston Churchill
• Never wrestle with a pig - you just get dirty and the pig enjoys it.
• My blog: Pardon me, may I ask...
Elizabeth I is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2013, 11:40 AM   #861
Dinwar
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 13,401
Originally Posted by Nogard View Post
Why this niche and not others? Because its a site that tries to debunk outlandish claims like bigfoot and I'm interested in seeing people's reactions when it is proven real.
The highlighted word requires you to provide evidence.
__________________
GENERATION 8: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.
Dinwar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2013, 11:43 AM   #862
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh
 
Akhenaten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pi-Broadford, Australia
Posts: 29,230
Originally Posted by Elizabeth I View Post
I think the correct plural is "Bigfoots." Like the Proudfoot family in LOTR.


Concur, although I think "bigfeets" is worthy of consideration.

Figboots, of course, is always acceptable, even in the most genteel of company.
__________________


Life is mostly Froth and Bubble - Adam Lindsay Gordon

The Australasian Skeptics Forum
Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2013, 12:18 PM   #863
dafydd
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: On the Flanders/Nederland border.
Posts: 35,445
What about Megatootsies?
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2013, 12:26 PM   #864
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh
 
Akhenaten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pi-Broadford, Australia
Posts: 29,230
Originally Posted by dafydd View Post
What about Megatootsies?

157
__________________


Life is mostly Froth and Bubble - Adam Lindsay Gordon

The Australasian Skeptics Forum
Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2013, 12:27 PM   #865
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing
 
LTC8K6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Directly under a deadly chemtrail
Posts: 15,585
Originally Posted by Robrob View Post
My bet is the day it's not revealed will be the last day we hear from you.
Well, it wasn't revealed today.

I don't think this hoax will hold together.

I doubt we get anywhere near the currently scheduled "reveal" dates before this hoax ship is taking on too much dirty water to stay afloat.
__________________
What a fool believes, no wise man has the power to reason away. What seems to be, is always better than nothing.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2013, 12:52 PM   #866
desertgal
Illuminator
 
desertgal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Virginia City
Posts: 4,136
Originally Posted by Nogard View Post
I'll definitely admit I was wrong if by some miracle Dyer actually doesn't have a body.
It would only be a miracle if Dyer DOES have a body.

See, it's that kind of remark which annoys people. You certainly seem to have the intelligence to look at the bigger picture and see this hoax for what it is. Yet you not only refuse to, you look down on people here because they have.

Sigh. I guess it just goes along with choosing to believe in a myth...
desertgal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2013, 01:19 PM   #867
Resume
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 10,376
Originally Posted by Nogard View Post
Because its a site that tries to debunk outlandish claims like bigfoot and I'm interested in seeing people's reactions when it is proven real. I'm not out to make tons of money off bets. That's not me. I just made this bet because people were challenging my integrity.
People's reactions will be to examine the evidence when (if) provided and come to a provisional conclusion.

What other reaction would there be?
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2013, 01:24 PM   #868
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing
 
LTC8K6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Directly under a deadly chemtrail
Posts: 15,585
Why not sample the blood/tissue of this body and get a DNA record?

Why not cast it's feet and have known track examples?

Why not cast it's hand and have that on record, too?

You could pull a tooth and have that documented and analyzed as well.

None of these require revealing the body to anyone.

Of course, you actually have to have a body to do these things.

The known track example alone would really help the bigfoot community, if one wanted to help...
__________________
What a fool believes, no wise man has the power to reason away. What seems to be, is always better than nothing.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2013, 01:35 PM   #869
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 10,191
Remember that this Bigfoot has the strangest anatomy that one could ever imagine. It will not be believed by anyone who doesn't see it in person. Those that do see it are reduced to blubbering and profuse tears.

Nobody would believe seeing bits and pieces away from the whole body. The feet are so bizarre that they won't be believed. Even the body will need sealed container protection because gallons of human tears raining down on it might harm it. Everybody has to wait just like everybody else.

This will freak people out almost as much as The Rapture will. But you can prepare yourself for both of those so that the shock is somewhat lessened.
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.

Last edited by William Parcher; 24th September 2013 at 01:38 PM.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2013, 02:27 PM   #870
Joecool
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 1,520
I hope it's not a dead man in a bigfoot suit.
Joecool is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2013, 02:31 PM   #871
Robrob
Philosopher
 
Robrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 5,508
Originally Posted by Joecool View Post
I hope it's not a dead man in a bigfoot suit.
__________________
Mister Earl: "The plural of bollocks is not evidence."
Robrob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2013, 02:46 PM   #872
smartcooky
Master Poster
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 2,455
Originally Posted by dafydd View Post
What about Megatootsies?

Gigantopithicii?
__________________
OCCAMS Razor - 9/11 was a terrorist attack by Islamic extremists organised by Osama Bin Laden; the Apollo astronauts walked on the Moon; JFK was assassinated by a single gunmen, Lee Harvey Oswald, acting alone.
► "Conspiracism is a shortcut to the illusion of erudition." - JayUtah
► Heisenberg's Law - The weirdness of the Universe is inversely proportional to the scale at which you observe it, or not.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2013, 03:00 PM   #873
JoeBentley
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeBentley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 3,219
Originally Posted by Nogard View Post
Because its a site that tries to debunk outlandish claims like bigfoot and I'm interested in seeing people's reactions when it is proven real.
So this is just another in a long line of "Oh you 'skeptics' are just gonna have sooooooo much egg on your face when Bigfoot is proven real. Oh you're gonna have to eat soooooo much crow when that day comes!" threads?

We've done this dance before. We've done it with Bigfoot. We've done it with most other forms of Woo. Hell it's a close cousin to the religious "Oh you atheist are going to learn how wrong you are when the DAY OF JUDGEMENT comes!" fire and brimstone malarkey.

And it's fundamentally flawed.

Let's do a little through experiment here. Let's say tomorrow a living, no B.S. verifiable Bigfoot specimen is presented and the mainstream scientific community accepts the existence of Bigfoot as an accepted fact.

That would change absolutely nothing about anything I feel. Yes the discovery of a large hominid species would be nothing short of amazing and revolutionary but in wouldn't cause a, pardon the term, "Crisis of Faith" in my opinion that rational science is the best way to determine facts.

It wouldn't validate the Bigfooter's sloppy methods, their unscientific methodology, their cult like fervor, their continued assertion in the creature's resistance prior to their ability to provide reasonable proof, or the overall "Bigfoot Movement." It wouldn't mean that the best way to discovered the next important zoological discovery would be to wander around the woods, cream yourself over blurry out of focus pictures of nothing, and stage hoax after hoax. It would just mean that even broken clocks are right twice a day.

Actual scientist doing actual science in an actual scientific way have cataloged millions of distinct animal species. If some crazy Woo Slinger did somehow manage to get lucky once... it still wouldn't tip the odds in his favor.
__________________
- Opinions require evidence and no before you ask defining something as "Something doesn't require evidence" doesn't count.
- In extreme cases continuing to be wrong when you've been repeatedly proven to be wrong is a form of rudeness.
- Major in philosophy. That way you can also ask people "why" they would like fries with that.
JoeBentley is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2013, 03:31 PM   #874
The Shrike
Master Poster
 
The Shrike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 2,668
^Outstanding post, JoeBentley. There are many times I've thought to express that sentiment in a post on the BFF, probably preceded by "And even IF . . . ", but I was always preoccupied trying to relate a few basic facts that exhausted me. Thank you for this succinct statement of truth.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2013, 03:53 PM   #875
dmaker
Critical Thinker
 
dmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 421
"but I was always preoccupied trying to relate a few basic facts that exhausted me." - The Shrike

Such is the daily challenge at the BFF.
dmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2013, 03:59 PM   #876
COGrizzly
Scholar
 
COGrizzly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 71
Everything on the BFF is "challenging".
COGrizzly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2013, 04:24 PM   #877
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy
 
Slowvehicle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: ...not where I seemed, nor was calculated to be...but no-one need worry...
Posts: 9,382
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Gigantopithicii?
"A Bigfoot. And, another Bigfoot. In fact, a whole bunch* of them."

*the proper collective, of course, is, "a rumor of 'Squatches"...
__________________
"Woof" -Bear
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2013, 04:27 PM   #878
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy
 
Slowvehicle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: ...not where I seemed, nor was calculated to be...but no-one need worry...
Posts: 9,382
Originally Posted by JoeBentley View Post
So this is just another in a long line of "Oh you 'skeptics' are just gonna have sooooooo much egg on your face when Bigfoot is proven real. Oh you're gonna have to eat soooooo much crow when that day comes!" threads?

We've done this dance before. We've done it with Bigfoot. We've done it with most other forms of Woo. Hell it's a close cousin to the religious "Oh you atheist are going to learn how wrong you are when the DAY OF JUDGEMENT comes!" fire and brimstone malarkey.

And it's fundamentally flawed.

Let's do a little through experiment here. Let's say tomorrow a living, no B.S. verifiable Bigfoot specimen is presented and the mainstream scientific community accepts the existence of Bigfoot as an accepted fact.

That would change absolutely nothing about anything I feel. Yes the discovery of a large hominid species would be nothing short of amazing and revolutionary but in wouldn't cause a, pardon the term, "Crisis of Faith" in my opinion that rational science is the best way to determine facts.

It wouldn't validate the Bigfooter's sloppy methods, their unscientific methodology, their cult like fervor, their continued assertion in the creature's resistance prior to their ability to provide reasonable proof, or the overall "Bigfoot Movement." It wouldn't mean that the best way to discovered the next important zoological discovery would be to wander around the woods, cream yourself over blurry out of focus pictures of nothing, and stage hoax after hoax. It would just mean that even broken clocks are right twice a day.

Actual scientist doing actual science in an actual scientific way have cataloged millions of distinct animal species. If some crazy Woo Slinger did somehow manage to get lucky once... it still wouldn't tip the odds in his favor.
Enthusiastically nominated...
__________________
"Woof" -Bear
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2013, 05:40 PM   #879
Nogard
Scholar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 56
Originally Posted by Resume View Post
People's reactions will be to examine the evidence when (if) provided and come to a provisional conclusion.

What other reaction would there be?
I'm sure it will cause quite a stir in here, if anything.

Desertgal, I'm sorry if I come off as arrogant when I say things like this, but I don't look down on anyone here. I'm just sticking to my beliefs.

William, yes I'm a creationist (big surprise huh?) and no, I won't try to weasel my way out of the bet like that. There has to be solid evidence.

LCTK, I'm guessing they want to reveal the whole thing at once. They need to have all their eggs in one basket so there is absolutely no doubt when it is revealed. I know, you're going to say that they've had plenty of time to do this, but like I've said before, who knows what's happening behind the scenes? A delay does not necessarily mean something is a hoax. Early this year, Dyer said that the body would no doubt be released sometime in 2013 and so far he's stuck by that. If the body is delayed again into 2014 then I will stop believing it.

JoeBentley, it's funny you say that, because I was actually hoping that it would cause some skeptics to reexamine their beliefs and potentially become a Christian. Thanks for clarifying that.
Nogard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2013, 05:52 PM   #880
JoeBentley
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeBentley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 3,219
Step A: Bigfoot Discovered
Step B: ???
Step C: Convert to Christianity
Step D: Profit.

Got it.
__________________
- Opinions require evidence and no before you ask defining something as "Something doesn't require evidence" doesn't count.
- In extreme cases continuing to be wrong when you've been repeatedly proven to be wrong is a form of rudeness.
- Major in philosophy. That way you can also ask people "why" they would like fries with that.
JoeBentley is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

JREF Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:00 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2001-2013, James Randi Educational Foundation. All Rights Reserved.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.