JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Tags sylvia browne

Old 21st November 2013, 06:51 PM   #201
Coopersville
New Blood

I thought I'd be a lot more appreciative that such a BS artist is permanently unable to do her thing, but sadly I think I just wanted her to admit her wrongdoings.

Whatever, it's still slightly good that she's gone.
Coopersville is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2013, 06:54 PM   #202
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
She should have paid more attention to Kevin Trudeau. He just went to jail, but he's still alive.
Old 21st November 2013, 06:57 PM   #203
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing

The TMZ episode I shamefully clicked on to had one of the members of the cast telling of her call to Miss Cleo, who had not foreseen this death!
I Ratant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2013, 06:58 PM   #204
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

A couple of messages from our friends
http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/...nes-death.html
Quote:
The JREF sends our condolences to Sylvia's family and loved ones. No one celebrates her death, but skeptics do criticize how she lived. Her dismal track record at predictions -- she confidently predicted she would die at 88, not 77, for instance -- would merely be laughable if they did not hurt so many people. Remember Sean Hornbeck. Or Amanda Berry. The number of people she hurt with her pretend supernatural abilities is nearly as high as the number of her failed predictions. It is sad that it took death to stop Sylvia Browne.

D.J. Grothe is president of the James Randi Educational Foundation
http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/...nes-death.html

Quote:
Written by James Randi
When Sylvia Browne died, Montel Williams offered this sappy eulogy:

"A beacon that shined [sic] for so many was extinguished today, but its brightness was relit and will now shine forever for many of us from above."

To explain to this apparently dense man where his judgment has reverted to the level of a 5-year-old, I’ll point out that Browne was not at all funny "ho-ho" but frightening – to anyone with any compassion. She fed eagerly on the insecurities, the grief, the need and desperation, of her victims. They turned to her for help, at great cost -- $850 for a 20-minute telephone chat as she squatted before the TV camera like a taloned Jabba the Hutt confronting Luke Skywalker – played by Montel – and graveled out anything-but-funny, unfounded, useless, and damaging pap that added to their confusion and pain – but which made Montel and his sponsors ecstatic, because they could hear those cash register sounds as their products slid off store shelves.

And she let 10+ years go by yet never tried for the JREF million-dollar prize, as she’d agreed to do when we both appeared together on Larry King Live so many years ago…

I agree with JREF President D.J. Grothe that we do not celebrate her death, even as we criticize the way she lived. But I’ll be quite frank with you, I cannot mourn at Browne’s passing — she really hurt far too many people, and always so unapologetically.

It's unfortunate that she only stopped hurting so many people by dying.
I like Randi's last sentence.

Edit. Someone mentioned Sylvia's millions. What is the value of her estate? I suggest it is not worth much.

Last edited by rjh01; 21st November 2013 at 07:01 PM.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2013, 06:59 PM   #205
KatieG
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Aoidoi View Post
She should have taken lecithin. L-E-C-I-T-H-I-N
I wish there was a like button because this post deserves a great big LIKE!

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

My death will probably be caused by being sarcastic at the wrong time.
KatieG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2013, 07:06 PM   #206
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

HuffPo: Sylvia Browne: Dead Psychic's Legacy Riddled With Failed Predictions, Fraud

Compare that to the idiots at Yahoo who barely noted her failures and don't seem to be aware she had no successes.

Psychic Sylvia Browne dies at 77 in California

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 21st November 2013 at 07:10 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2013, 07:12 PM   #207
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Don't be naïve. We went through exactly the same faux outrage with Thomas Kinkaid and even Osama bin Laden.
To each their own. Wish ill will all you want.
Old 21st November 2013, 07:58 PM   #208
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

She appeared to me in a dream and told me it was all a lie, there is no afterlife. Good thing that's cleared up.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2013, 08:09 PM   #209
Brainache
Nasty Brutish and Tall

Quote:
Written by James Randi
When Sylvia Browne died, Montel Williams offered this sappy eulogy:

"A beacon that shined [sic] for so many was extinguished today, but its brightness was relit and will now shine forever for many of us from above."

To explain to this apparently dense man where his judgment has reverted to the level of a 5-year-old, I’ll point out that Browne was not at all funny "ho-ho" but frightening – to anyone with any compassion. She fed eagerly on the insecurities, the grief, the need and desperation, of her victims. They turned to her for help, at great cost -- $850 for a 20-minute telephone chat as she squatted before the TV camera like a taloned Jabba the Hutt confronting Luke Skywalker – played by Montel – and graveled out anything-but-funny, unfounded, useless, and damaging pap that added to their confusion and pain – but which made Montel and his sponsors ecstatic, because they could hear those cash register sounds as their products slid off store shelves.

And she let 10+ years go by yet never tried for the JREF million-dollar prize, as she’d agreed to do when we both appeared together on Larry King Live so many years ago…

I agree with JREF President D.J. Grothe that we do not celebrate her death, even as we criticize the way she lived. But I’ll be quite frank with you, I cannot mourn at Browne’s passing — she really hurt far too many people, and always so unapologetically.

It's unfortunate that she only stopped hurting so many people by dying.
I have only one criticism of the Amazing One's tribute to the late grate(!) Sylvia Brown: Shouldn't Montel be Boba Fett?

Invert the prominent diaphragm!!!

I have eaten breakfast and have not written an Epistle to any Church. - dejudge.

Last edited by Brainache; 21st November 2013 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Bad SW geek. got the wrong guy.
Brainache is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2013, 08:14 PM   #210
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Iamme View Post
Doesnt it just eat at your craw, if you are a skeptical atheist, at times like this, where now you cant ever get even with her? While religious people would simply say she is for God to judge, and let it go at that? Doesnt that just bug you? Lol
Old 21st November 2013, 08:19 PM   #211
steve s
Illuminator

If there is an afterlife, I hope it's always 78 degrees................CELSIUS!

Steve S
Old 21st November 2013, 08:23 PM   #212
John Jones
Suspended

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
I think the trhead title should read:

"Someone whose name begins with C, or possibly S... One or the other... Has passed away yester... the day before yes... er, at sometime in the past."
and " ... from a problem in the chest, or maybe in the head. Her father also passed from a problem in the chest or head ... maybe it was a father, grandfather, son, uncle or brother... I'm sensing the letter 'e' somewhere. Someone here has a loved-one with the letter 'e' in their name. "
John Jones is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2013, 08:28 PM   #213
John Jones
Suspended

Originally Posted by RSLancastr View Post
I received an email today from a member of Browne's family stating that she passed away this morning at 5am. I would think that it was related to her recent strokes, but do not know that for a fact.

I would discourage one and all from any snarky comments. Whatever else may be said of her, she is survived by family members who I think deserve to mourn her passing without hearing of snarky comments about her passing.
Let them stay away from here and SSB while they mourn, then.

I'm sure she has some well-meaning loved-ones, but nobody invited them here for a eulogy, did they?
John Jones is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2013, 08:33 PM   #214
Tricky
Briefly immortal

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
To each their own. Wish ill will all you want.
Yeah, I wish ill to crooks. I'm a little surprised you think that is bad. But as you say, to each his own. Comfort criminals all you want.
Tricky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2013, 08:35 PM   #215
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
HuffPo: Sylvia Browne: Dead Psychic's Legacy Riddled With Failed Predictions, Fraud

Compare that to the idiots at Yahoo who barely noted her failures and don't seem to be aware she had no successes.

Psychic Sylvia Browne dies at 77 in California
After reading through the comments on the Yahoo story (which was from the AP) I posted the following comment:

"I'm disappointed in this news account. What is reported as successes are less than what one can expect by chance if one makes enough predictions. It's not news when you report popular falsehoods, it's tabloid journalism. Yahoo editors would do well to read through these comments and rewrite the story. A good majority of the readers here, judging by the comments and 'likes', are better informed about this deceased scam artist than the AP reporters apparently were."
Old 21st November 2013, 08:57 PM   #216
RSLancastr

Speaking of AP reporters...

I received an email today at StopSylvia from an AP reporter in Los Angeles who wanted to interview me today for an article he was writing about Sylvia Browne's passing.

It was sent around noon today, but unfortunately, I did not see it until 8:30pm, too late to do the interview today (which was apparently what he wanted).

I replied, apologizing for not having seen his email earlier, and telling him that I am not as up-to-date on Browne's failed predictions and readings as I once was, and sent him my phone number and a twelve-hour time span, any time during which I would be more than happy to be interviewed, or to set up a time for an interview.

If he calls or replies, I will post here about it.

Curious about Sylvia Browne? Read about her at www.StopSylvia.com.

Ever wonder "What's the Harm?" with psychics, alternative medicine, etc?
RSLancastr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2013, 10:04 PM   #217
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Personally I just hope she didn't infect her grandchildren with her swill before she bit the bullet.
cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2013, 10:27 PM   #218
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Any news on the funeral? I'd like to attend. You know, to make sure she's dead.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2013, 10:31 PM   #219
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Must not make joke about there probably being one last cruise ship trip with chance of touching SB's coffin for 10 thousand a ticket.
cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2013, 10:46 PM   #220
RSLancastr

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Personally I just hope she didn't infect her grandchildren with her swill before she bit the bullet.

Her granddaughter Angelia was at one time being groomed to be next in line (after her father, Chris Dufresne), even appearing one time with her father and grandmother on an episode of The Montel Williams Show, where the three of them were described as the most recent three generations of Browne's lineage to be psychic (the tail end of more than a hundred years' worth of psychics in her lineage (according to Browne).

I am not clear as to whether or not this is still the plan. I had been told at one point that she had decided she did NOT want to pursue this, but I don't know her feelings on this now.

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
Any news on the funeral? I'd like to attend. You know, to make sure she's dead.

At least one of the news reports stated that it will be a private service.

Must not make joke about there probably being one last cruise ship trip with chance of touching SB's coffin for 10 thousand a ticket.

Well, thanks for not making that joke.

Curious about Sylvia Browne? Read about her at www.StopSylvia.com.

Ever wonder "What's the Harm?" with psychics, alternative medicine, etc?
RSLancastr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2013, 11:51 PM   #221
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

I would be interested in purchasing a relic. I just need to come up with some good keywords so I get notified from eBay.
Old 21st November 2013, 11:52 PM   #222
h.g.Whiz
Illuminator

I wonder if her family is going to hire someone to talk to her now, or if she is now conning the dead into believing that she can communicate with the living.
Old 21st November 2013, 11:54 PM   #223
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

RSLancastr:
Do you feel a loss, now that an old foe is no longer around? Will you catch yourself thinking, some months hence, "I wonder what Sylvia is up to?"
Old 21st November 2013, 11:58 PM   #224
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

I doubt many people think about how much a body has decomposed.
Old 22nd November 2013, 01:57 AM   #225
dafydd
Banned

I doubt many people think about how much a body has decomposed.
Don't be too sure about that.

http://embalmedtothemax.blogspot.be/...rom-grave.html
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2013, 02:30 AM   #226
xtifr
Graduate Poster

Yeah, I wish ill to crooks. I'm a little surprised you think that is bad. But as you say, to each his own. Comfort criminals all you want.
And not just any criminal, but a criminal who preyed on the weak and emotionally distraught. There's an old saying that you can't cheat an honest man, but Sylvia and others of her ilk proved that false--you can always cheat someone who is in too much pain to think clearly.

I have far more respect for your average workaday burglar than for a predator like SB. I'm honestly sorry if it hurts her family to hear it, but she was evil, and the sooner they come to terms with that fact, the healthier they'll be.
-- James Nicoll
xtifr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2013, 04:12 AM   #227
BardKesnit
Thinker

I admit, I had two thoughts when I read about her death - neither very nice. The first was "well, she won't con anyone any more." The second was "drat, and I never got to try to trick her." When I first read SSB, I had a daydream of asking her questions that sound legit, but are really trick questions. Things like:
1) What kind of kids will I have? (I'm sterile.)
2) Why did my son have to die? (The "son" in question was a 14-year old dog who had to be put to sleep because the disks in his back calcified and he could not move without pain.)
BardKesnit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2013, 04:56 AM   #228
Brown
Penultimate Amazing

She gave people advice--often for a fee--about how to run their lives, but as to the actual circumstances of their situations, she didn't have the first goddamned clue.

She sold books and talks about heaven and the afterlife, but on those subjects, she didn't have the first goddamned clue.

She reported messages from people who where dead, when in fact she didn't have the first goddamned clue.

She announced the likes and dislikes and desires and attributes of an Almighty power, but in reality she didn't have the first goddamned clue.

She touted an ability to solve unsolvable crimes, but the evidence actually supported the conclusion that she didn't have the first goddamned clue.

She dispensed recommendations with respect to health and medicine; not only was she without training or qualification, she didn't have the first goddamned clue.

Whether she was sincere in her beliefs in her own capabilities is no defense. Nor is it a defense that she was nice or caring or had other redeeming qualities. Her meal ticket in life was to publicly and adamantly pretend to know things that she in fact did not know.

"Don't you get me wrong. I only want to know." -- Judas in Jesus Christ Superstar, lyrics by Tim Rice
Brown is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2013, 05:13 AM   #229
Rat
Not bored. Never bored.

Originally Posted by BardKesnit View Post
I admit, I had two thoughts when I read about her death - neither very nice. The first was "well, she won't con anyone any more." The second was "drat, and I never got to try to trick her." When I first read SSB, I had a daydream of asking her questions that sound legit, but are really trick questions. Things like:
1) What kind of kids will I have? (I'm sterile.)
2) Why did my son have to die? (The "son" in question was a 14-year old dog who had to be put to sleep because the disks in his back calcified and he could not move without pain.)
I understand that "What was my grandfather's name?" works quite well.
Rat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2013, 05:31 AM   #230
Klimax
Cyborg 2.0

One would almost think something got lost from the world, when no such thing happened.

Just a thought, though: If they are selling that real estate, how about buying it for Sylvia Browne's museum( of failed predictions)?

ETA: Nothing of positive value, to be precise.

Engine: Ibalgin 400
Klimax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2013, 06:41 AM   #231
aggle-rithm
Ardent Formulist

The good news for her is that death is unlikely to diminish her psychic abilities.

Woo's razor: Never attribute to stupidity that which can be adequately explained by aliens.
aggle-rithm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2013, 06:41 AM   #232
Tricky
Briefly immortal

Originally Posted by Brown View Post
Whether she was sincere in her beliefs in her own capabilities is no defense.
She could not have been. She was (sort of) skilled at the art of cold reading, and to do that, you have to know the techniques of fishing for information. She knew exactly what she was doing.
Tricky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2013, 06:56 AM   #233
rcfieldz
Banned

Well "The Randi Show" rebuttal on her death was something to watch. I wonder which cold reader to go after next? There are so many...
rcfieldz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2013, 08:41 AM   #234
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Now that her employees are out of a job, what can they do for income? Perhaps a "tell-all" book?
Old 22nd November 2013, 08:54 AM   #235
Aepervius
Philosopher

Talking

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
Sorry, just because someone is dead doesn't rehabilitate them. She was a horrible person in life and death hasn't changed that. Her family may mourn her but the world is just a little better off without her conning people.
I have the exact same opinion. Well said.

I thoroughly hate the "let the family mourn" meme when bastard die. The truth about an horrible person should not be buried because somebody died. Especially since her family , at least son, seems to be going the same way she did.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2013, 09:02 AM   #236
Alareth
Expert Expertologist

Nail salons around the world have announced a day of mourning in her honor

Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak
Alareth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2013, 09:06 AM   #237
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

There is no more ill than dead.
Old 22nd November 2013, 09:08 AM   #238
lane99
Muse

Who's kidding who?

A lot of self-righteousness and jealousy here. I guess it's comforting for some to tell themselves the only thing preventing them from being as rich and famous as Sylvia Browne is their own rarefied sense of morality.

Twitter: @Perugiamurderfi
lane99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2013, 09:12 AM   #239
BowlOfRed
Muse

She could not have been. She was (sort of) skilled at the art of cold reading, and to do that, you have to know the techniques of fishing for information. She knew exactly what she was doing.
I won't pretend to guess about Sylvia in particular, but I was under the impression that you can delude/train yourself into being a good cold reader while still believing that's just how your "power" works.

Didn't we have someone here that described how he used to do tarot and only later learned that part of the technique he had developed was cold reading?
BowlOfRed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2013, 09:34 AM   #240
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by h.g.Whiz View Post
I wonder if her family is going to hire someone to talk to her now, or if she is now conning the dead into believing that she can communicate with the living.
Is she broadcasting from the other side yet? I bet some nutcase on the net will say that she is.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

JREF Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal