JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Tags airplane incidents , Malaysia incidents

Old 7th March 2014, 06:39 PM   #1
Cylinder
Philosopher

Malaysia Airlines 777 missing en route to Bejing

Malaysia Airlines Flight Goes Missing En Route to China

Quote:
A Malaysia Airlines flight with 227 passengers on board has gone missing - and a search and rescue team has been deployed to locate the aircraft, a spokeswoman has confirmed to ABC News.

The Beijing-bound flight departed Kuala Lumpur at 12:55 a.m., and was scheduled to land in Beijing at 6:30 a.m., the airline said. It went missing two hours into the flight.

The airline said there are 227 passengers, including two infants, and 12 crew members on board the Boeing 777-200 aircraft.

In a statement on Twitter, Boeing said it was watching the situation closely.
The flight number is MH370.
If you will not fight for the right when you can easily win without bloodshed ; if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than live as slaves. - Winston Churchill, The Gathering Storm

Last edited by Lisa Simpson; 6th May 2014 at 06:03 PM. Reason: add prefix
Cylinder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2014, 06:44 PM   #2
patchbunny
Graduate Poster

Oh, damn. CNN reports that the route was mainly over land, so hopefully there may be survivors and the black boxes can be recovered.
"So, they laugh at my boner, will they? I'll show them! I'll show them how many boners the Joker can make!" -- The Joker, Batman #66
patchbunny is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2014, 06:48 PM   #3
Loss Leader
Opinionated Jerk

What times are these Eastern? How long has the thing been missing?

Follow me on Twitter! @LossLeader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2014, 06:50 PM   #4
Cylinder
Philosopher

I guess 3 hours overdue is a bit worse than out-of-contact.
If you will not fight for the right when you can easily win without bloodshed ; if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than live as slaves. - Winston Churchill, The Gathering Storm
Cylinder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2014, 06:51 PM   #5
Cylinder
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
What times are these Eastern? How long has the thing been missing?
Bejing and Kuala Lumpur are UTC +8

ETA: NYC is UTC-5 for comparison.

Last edited by Cylinder; 7th March 2014 at 06:54 PM.
Old 7th March 2014, 07:10 PM   #6
rwguinn
Philosopher

Love how the news reports
Quote:
If the plane is found to have crashed, the loss would mark the second fatal accident involving a Boeing 777 in less than a year, after an unblemished safety record since the jet entered service in 1995.
Like the Asiana at SFO was the airplane, not the pilots drivers...

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...A2701720140308[
I pointed out that his argument was wrong in every particular, but he rightfully took me to task for attacking only the weak points." Myriad http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?postid=6853275#post6853275
rwguinn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2014, 07:11 PM   #7
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
"The airline lost contact with the B777-200 aircraft after it departed Kuala Lumpur shortly after 12.40am local time on Saturday."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/world/malaysia...#ixzz2vKiY72yT

I make that 10 hours ago.

Last edited by Orphia Nay; 7th March 2014 at 07:13 PM. Reason: 10 not 9
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2014, 07:11 PM   #8
Cylinder
Philosopher

Quote:
Malaysia Airlines (MAS) confirms that flight MH370 has lost contact with Subang Air Traffic Control at 2.40am, Saturday.

In a statement issued by MAS, Flight MH370, operated on the B777-200 aircraft, departed Kuala Lumpur at 12.41am on 8 March 2014. MH370 was expected to land in Beijing at 6.30am the same day.
That's like 9 hours since last contact and 4 hours overdue if my maths are right. Hopefully the flight plan avoids contested land borders to help ease the SAR effort.

ETA: Or what Orphia Nay said.

Last edited by Cylinder; 7th March 2014 at 07:13 PM.
Old 7th March 2014, 07:28 PM   #9
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BiKosCdCMAACDsA.jpg

Edited by LashL:  Changed hotlinked image to regular link. Please see Rule 5.

Last edited by LashL; 8th March 2014 at 02:49 PM.
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2014, 07:31 PM   #10
Cylinder
Philosopher

Thanks AC. Asian geography is apparently not my strong suit.
Old 7th March 2014, 07:57 PM   #11
Cylinder
Philosopher

Malaysia Airline statement via Google+:

Quote:
Sepang, 8 March 2014: Malaysia Airlines confirms that flight MH370 has lost contact with Subang Air Traffic Control at 2.40am, today (8 March 2014).

Flight MH370, operated on the B777-200 aircraft, departed Kuala Lumpur at 12.41am on 8 March 2014. MH370 was expected to land in Beijing at 6.30am the same day. The flight was carrying a total number of 227 passengers (including 2 infants), 12 crew members.

Malaysia Airlines is currently working with the authorities who have activated their Search and Rescue team to locate the aircraft.

The airline will provide regular updates on the situation. Meanwhile, the public may contact +603 7884 1234 for further info.
Old 7th March 2014, 08:08 PM   #12
TjW
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rwguinn View Post
Love how the news reports

Like the Asiana at SFO was the airplane, not the pilots drivers self-loading automation tenders...

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...A2701720140308[
No reason to insult drivers
TjW is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2014, 08:17 PM   #13
Cylinder
Philosopher

FlightAware places MAS370 last contact at 4.7073 LAT 102.5278 LON which is the eastern Malaysian peninsula ~35 miles from the coast nearest Kuala Terrengganu. I don't know if that track is definitive, though.
Old 7th March 2014, 09:14 PM   #14
Orphia Nay
Tagger

The 239 passengers comprise 13 nationalities including 7 Australians, 4 Americans, and 2 New Zealanders.

ETA: 152 Chinese; 38 Malaysians.

Last edited by Orphia Nay; 7th March 2014 at 09:34 PM.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2014, 09:22 PM   #15
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Vietnam has detected a signal.

http://vnexpress.net/tin-tuc/the-gio...y-2960870.html

Google Translate: "Talking with VnExpress , Pham The Hien, director of the Center to coordinate search and rescue 3 said received information from the Maritime Rescue Centre in Vietnam, Malaysia at 0h20 plane lost signal at positions 6o56 ' North, 103o35 'eastern coast of Ca Mau way 120 miles to the southwest."

ETA: No, I don't think that's the article reporting the new signal. Sorry.

Last edited by Orphia Nay; 7th March 2014 at 09:23 PM.
Old 7th March 2014, 09:23 PM   #16
Mister Earl
Illuminator

Poor people. That's a hell of a way to go.

I still hold out hope that the pilot was drunk or something and landed at a wrong airport somewhere... but that wouldn't make the transponder go silent.
Mister Earl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2014, 09:27 PM   #17
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

It would have been in an oceanic flight phase. It's also a largely automated phase of flight, except that it involves no significant speed or altitude changes that the pilots would be neglecting to watch properly. Whatever the reason for this incident, I'm tentatively guessing it's not related to the causes of the Asiana disaster.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2014, 10:42 PM   #18
Antiquehunter
Degenerate Gambler

Location: El Quisco, Chile; Sometimes, Kabul, Afghanistan; currently, Port Moresby, PNG
There are 6500 people descending on Hainan, China for an international meet of the Hash House Harriers. I'm hoping that no one I know was on that plane. The event is later this week.

Obviously there are tons of flights between KL and Beijing, but the odds of my knowing someone on that flight are... not as long as they were on another week.
Old 7th March 2014, 10:53 PM   #19
jj
grumpy old skeptic

Shallow water but otherwise nowhere to speak of if the Vietnam signal is the final signal.

But does not look at all good, I have to say.
Old 7th March 2014, 11:10 PM   #20
kazzaqld
Scholar

And cue the conspiracy theorists - a cousin of mine just posted "How can an aircraft go missing in this day and age - must be a coverup by the Malaysian government!"
kazzaqld is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2014, 11:18 PM   #21
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

The signal report has been denied.

The Vietnam Navy has apparently reported the crash south of Phu Quoc in the vicinity of Tho Chu island.

Nothing is confirmed though.

My info is from Airliners.net and PPRUNE discussions.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2014, 11:19 PM   #22
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

UPDATE [12:37]: Tuoi Tre, a leading daily in Vietnam, reports that the Vietnamese Navy has confirmed the plane crashed into the ocean. According to Navy Admiral Ngo Van Phat, Commander of the Region 5, military radar recorded that the plane crashed into the sea at a location 153 miles South of Phu Quoc island.

http://my.news.yahoo.com/mas-aircraf...023820132.html

LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2014, 11:25 PM   #23
AdMan
Philosopher

Very sad situation. Let's hope it's not as bad as it sounds, but it's not looking good at all.
AdMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2014, 11:39 PM   #24
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Quote:
"The plane lost contact near Ca Mau province airspace as it was preparing to transfer to Ho Chi Minh City air traffic control," a statement posted on the official Vietnamese government website said.

The plane's signal was never transferred to Ho Chi Minh air traffic control, it added.

Ca Mau province is in southernmost Vietnam.

The ministry launched a rescue effort to find the plane, working in coordination with Malaysian and Chinese officials, the statement added.

Malaysian authorities dispatched a plane, two helicopters and four vessels to search seas off its east coast in the South China Sea, said Faridah Shuib, a spokeswoman for the Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency.

The Philippines said it was sending three navy patrol boats and a surveillance plane to help efforts.
http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/wor...rch-for-plane/
Old 8th March 2014, 12:02 AM   #25
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Would be a rare fatal incident with a 777.

Only the second incident with fatalities, the other being the Asiana incident at SFO.

Only the fourth hull loss.

Old 8th March 2014, 12:08 AM   #26
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Quote:
KUALA LUMPUR: A massive search and rescue (SAR) mission has been mobilised by Malaysian and international authorities following the disappearance of a Malaysia Airlines (MAS) jetliner enroute to China from here.
The SAR mission was prompted within minutes after MAS requested for government and international assistance, after it and air traffic controllers failed to locate the Boeing 777’s location.

The SAR operations involve MAS, the Department of Civil Aviation, the Royal Malaysian Air Force, the Royal Malaysian Navy, the Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency, the Butterworth-based Intergrated Area Defence System Headquarters and the agencies from Thailand, Vietnam, the Philippines, China and the Hawaii-based United States Pacific Command.

The IADS Headquarters administers the five-power defence pact involving Malaysia, Britain, Australia, New Zealand and Singapore, while the United States Pacific Command has a flotilla of warships and aircraft carriers scouring the Pacific Ocean.

Aviation and defence officials said that the massive SAR was mobilised following a request from Malaysian authorities after Flight MH 370, that departed the Kuala Lumpur International Airport in Sepang at 12.41am, disappeared from the air traffic control radar screen about two hours later.

Read more: MISSING MH370 : Massive search off south Vietnam coast - Latest - New Straits Times http://www.nst.com.my/latest/font-co...#ixzz2vLvICzJ1
Old 8th March 2014, 12:14 AM   #27
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BiLQ_9PCEAAS39o.png:large

Looks like the point where Flightradar24 lost data is close to the reported crash site ~150 miles south of Tho Chu island.

If you playback the flight on FR24, the data seems to just quit abruptly.

Old 8th March 2014, 12:17 AM   #28
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

It looks like the water is in the neighborhood of 200 feet deep in the area, so recovery should not be that difficult as with AF447.

Old 8th March 2014, 12:21 AM   #29
AdMan
Philosopher

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BiLQ_9PCEAAS39o.png:large

Looks like the point where Flightradar24 lost data is close to the reported crash site ~150 miles south of Tho Chu island.

If you playback the flight on FR24, the data seems to just quit abruptly.

I know it's only speculation at this point, but what could be a reasonable cause for MH370 to seemingly disappear from radio transmission all of a sudden? Shouldn't it have kept transmitting for a short while at least? Is a complete electric/radio failure a reasonable assumption?

Last edited by AdMan; 8th March 2014 at 12:32 AM.
AdMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2014, 12:33 AM   #30
Corsair 115
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by AdMan View Post
I know it's only speculation at this point, but what could be a reasonable cause for MH370 to seemingly disappear from radio transmission all of a sudden? Shouldn't it have kept transmitting for a short while at least? Is a complete electric/radio failure a reasonable assumption?

Well, the first possibility would seem obvious: a bomb aboard the aircraft.
Corsair 115 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2014, 12:35 AM   #31
AdMan
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Corsair 115 View Post
Well, the first possibility would seem obvious: a bomb aboard the aircraft.

Hmm... how is that the first possibility?
Old 8th March 2014, 12:36 AM   #32
Cain
Straussian

They were dead all along.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2014, 12:38 AM   #33
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by AdMan View Post
I know it's only speculation at this point, but what could be a reasonable cause for MH370 to seemingly disappear all of a sudden? Shouldn't it have kept transmitting for a short while at least? Is a complete electric/radio failure reasonable?
Well, it is indeed speculation, and FR24 is not reliable enough to use as strong evidence.

It's possible that FR24 is not accurate enough to say for sure that the data stream just stopped.

Whatever it was, the crew doesn't appear to have said anything. But even that doesn't tell us much. It's not uncommon for the crew not to say anything in an emergency. Aviate, Navigate, Communicate.

Given the 777's reputation, it's pretty odd to have one just disappear.

There was apparently no bad weather in the area.

A highjacker would likely turn off the transponder...

Old 8th March 2014, 12:44 AM   #34
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

AF447 was in an area where it was unlikely that anyone would hear a radio transmission if they had made one.

MAS370 was well within radio range of lots of listeners.

Old 8th March 2014, 12:46 AM   #35
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviatio.../4/2354482.jpg

That is apparently the plane, 9M-MRO.

Old 8th March 2014, 12:47 AM   #36
AdMan
Philosopher

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
AF447 was in an area where it was unlikely that anyone would hear a radio transmission if they had made one.

MAS370 was well within radio range of lots of listeners.

Yes, this is what is strange. No indication apparently received by anyone that there was something wrong with the plane.
Old 8th March 2014, 12:50 AM   #37
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

We will need to see the wreckage pattern on the ocean floor. It should be fairly obvious if it broke up at 35K feet, or went into the water intact, or if a piece broke off early.

One would think if a piece broke off early, there would be time to call mayday, but not necessarily.

Old 8th March 2014, 12:52 AM   #38
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

I wonder if anyone on the plane sent a text or made a call? Or if they could, given time?

Old 8th March 2014, 12:55 AM   #39
Antiquehunter
Degenerate Gambler

Location: El Quisco, Chile; Sometimes, Kabul, Afghanistan; currently, Port Moresby, PNG
UPDATE [3:03pm]: At KLIA, the brother of a passenger says relatives are being told to bring a valid passport because they need to 'travel to the crash site'. Relatives have to be at KLIA before 6pm with valid passports for MAS to make 'travel arrangements'.

Seems strange, since it is appears to be most probable that the plane went down in the water. Likewise, since when do airlines take family members to a crash site? More like to a triage area where they can identify their relatives?
Old 8th March 2014, 01:01 AM   #40
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Must be to a place where they can either ID the bodies or be given belongings? Seems a little early though given that the plane has not actually been located.

JREF Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events