JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Tags bigfoot

Old 14th June 2005, 04:23 AM   #361
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Quote:
Originally posted by LAL
I wouldn't want the job of classifying it, or even naming it. Should it be Gigantopithecus krantzii, Australopithecus sandersonii, or even Ardepithecus takethatmichaeldennettii?
Again, this is one of those things that makes it hard to take bigfoot seriously.

Even assuming the evidence for Bigfoot's existence is valid and substantial--which I don't concede--there's not a shred of reason to consider that he'd fall into any of the above genii.

In fact, gigantopithecus is probably out completely, as he probably wasn't bipedal. Australopithecines and ardepithecus were much smaller than human beings. Any attempt at classification at this point is purely guesswork and distracts from the need of Bigfootologists to get enough evidence to prove it even exists!
Old 14th June 2005, 08:22 AM   #362
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Originally posted by LAL
I've given you the names of several well-respected scientists who have reached the conclusion they're a real animal based on the evidence.

The lifespan is a good guess based on the lifespans of other great apes.
Does the Patterson creature look like a juvenile?

What evidence? I haven't seen anything I would call good evidence. Certainly nothing to justify saying Bigfoot is Gigantopithecus Blacki, and claiming GB was bipedal so it could fit the story. I have seen precious little to justify any scientist doing any more than continuing to look on sceptically.

Quote:
Though no skeletal remains had been found, Dr. Krantz proposed that the North American footprints alone could be used to describe this species, and cited other non-skeletal material used to describe fossil species as precedent. He further proposed that the footprints found and cast be referred to as Gigantopithecus blacki, with the caveat that classification could be adjusted as needed should future evidence suggest it.
How would anyone know anything about what a juvenile looked like, or what the lifespan was? I have absolutely no idea if the creature in the P/G film looks like a juvenile.

It looks female.

If you had never seen a Giraffe before, you might well think a juvenile was an adult, until you saw mom & child together.

Some humans are quite big & tall early on. They are not adults, and you might not be able to tell an adult from a juvenile in a film, since the juvenile can be bigger and taller than the adult.
LTC8K6 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2005, 08:19 PM   #363
LAL
Illuminator

Quote:
Originally posted by Cleon
Again, this is one of those things that makes it hard to take bigfoot seriously.
I wasn't being serious.

Quote:
Even assuming the evidence for Bigfoot's existence is valid and substantial--which I don't concede--there's not a shred of reason to consider that he'd fall into any of the above genii.

In fact, gigantopithecus is probably out completely, as he probably wasn't bipedal. Australopithecines and ardepithecus were much smaller than human beings. Any attempt at classification at this point is purely guesswork and distracts from the need of Bigfootologists to get enough evidence to prove it even exists!
George Schaller has a problem with a specialized bamboo-eater making it over the Bering Strait.

Krantz thought Gigantopithecus blacki (there was a smaller species as well) was bipedal based on the width of the jaw (wide to allow the passage of a vertical spinal column). It's now thought they were related to Orangutans, but there's really not enough in the way of fossils to establish the mode of locomotion one way or the other. The size seems to match, and it's possible they're an ancestor or a relative, if Sasquatches are not a remnant population.

Napier thought Sasquatches could have been descended from A. robustus. There are other possible bipedal ancestors that have been discovered since then. We don't even knoe our own lineage for certain. The consensus (according to Chris Stringer) is that bipedalism was first, k-w a later adaptation in the Great Apes. The size could be an adaptation for cold.

As for them evolving from a smaller bipedal ancestor, why not? We did.

I don't know of any serious attempts at classification at this point. I personally hate the term "Bigfoot". It's journalese.
"Sasquatch" is a corruption of a Salish Indian name for them and is the preferred term in Canada. It's much more dignified, IMO.

Since there is no field of "Bigfootology", how are there "Bigfootologists"? I know of no one who's spending full time on this.

https://librarylu.wordpress.com/
LAL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2005, 08:49 PM   #364
LAL
Illuminator

Quote:
How would anyone know anything about what a juvenile looked like, or what the lifespan was? I have absolutely no idea if the creature in the P/G film looks like a juvenile.

It looks female.

The figure in the MD film looks like a juvenile. It's slim and is running in the first part. It has a kind of lithe, teen-aged look to it.

The figure in the Patterson film is solid, heavily muscled, a bit beat up.

Quote:
If you had never seen a Giraffe before, you might well think a juvenile was an adult, until you saw mom & child together.

Some humans are quite big & tall early on. They are not adults, and you might not be able to tell an adult from a juvenile in a film, since the juvenile can be bigger and taller than the adult.
Juvenile animals are, hm.........softer, finer. Kind of hard to describe, but it's easy to spot an immature individual

LAL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2005, 03:46 AM   #365
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Quote:
Originally posted by LAL

Krantz thought Gigantopithecus blacki (there was a smaller species as well) was bipedal based on the width of the jaw (wide to allow the passage of a vertical spinal column). It's now thought they were related to Orangutans, but there's really not enough in the way of fossils to establish the mode of locomotion one way or the other. The size seems to match, and it's possible they're an ancestor or a relative, if Sasquatches are not a remnant population.
It's also possible that Sasquatches came off the mothership. Evidence? Zilch.

Quote:

Napier thought Sasquatches could have been descended from A. robustus. There are other possible bipedal ancestors that have been discovered since then. We don't even knoe our own lineage for certain. The consensus (according to Chris Stringer) is that bipedalism was first, k-w a later adaptation in the Great Apes. The size could be an adaptation for cold.
Which is why theorizing about Bigfoot's lineage is about as logical as theorizing about what makes the Enterprise's warp drive tick.

Quote:

I don't know of any serious attempts at classification at this point. I personally hate the term "Bigfoot". It's journalese.
"Sasquatch" is a corruption of a Salish Indian name for them and is the preferred term in Canada. It's much more dignified, IMO.
Dignified? You're kidding, right?
Old 15th June 2005, 04:30 AM   #366
LAL
Illuminator

Quote:
It's also possible that Sasquatches came off the mothership. Evidence? Zilch.

There's less evidence for the mothership.

Quote:
Which is why theorizing about Bigfoot's lineage is about as logical as theorizing about what makes the Enterprise's warp drive tick.
If Krantz was correct, there's good reason to assume a relationship. If nothing else, Giganto proves primates can get that large. Primates come in all sorts of weird shapes and a variety of sizes and lifestyles. The Bili apes are huge, and though they're chimpanzees (according to Sarmiento, et al) they seem to have a Gorilla-like lifestyle. Not many were expecting a new Great Ape species in Africa. Gorillas were thought to be a native myth until they were discovered by whites.

Quote:
Dignified? You're kidding, right?
As I said, it's more dignified than "Bigfoot". That's not to say it's dignified. How about the Cree name for them? It's "mamemgishe", but who can spell it?

Old 15th June 2005, 05:56 AM   #367
Bronze Dog
Copper Alloy Canid

Quote:
Originally posted by LAL
If Krantz was correct... <snip>
Is Krantz correct?

Warning: Beware of contaminated water supplies! Suspected source of contamination: Sarah-I

A non-Rockstar Rambler and dissector of Doggerel
Bronze Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2005, 06:31 AM   #368
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Quote:
Originally posted by LAL
There's less evidence for the mothership.
Not by a whole lot.

Quote:

If Krantz was correct, there's good reason to assume a relationship.
That's a mighty big "if."

Quote:

As I said, it's more dignified than "Bigfoot". That's not to say it's dignified. How about the Cree name for them? It's "mamemgishe", but who can spell it?
Who gives a dingle-dong about "dignified?" "Dignified" should not enter into discussions of what are probably mythological beings. Even if he was real, who cares? Call him Bigfoot, call him Sasquatch, or call him what homo erectus probably said when they ran into gigantopithecus. ("Oh, $%^&!"--at least, according to paleoanthropologist Alan Walker.)

(And mangling a Native language might be more dignified for the Big Guy, but not so much for the Salish.)
Old 15th June 2005, 10:35 AM   #369
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
The figure in the MD film looks like a juvenile. It's slim and is running in the first part. It has a kind of lithe, teen-aged look to it.
Lithe, teen aged look? Like Lance Armstrong? Gwen Stefani?
Not like Shaquille O'neill, then?

There are all sorts of differently shaped and sized adult and juvenile humans. Tall, short, chunky, skinny, petite, etc.
LTC8K6 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2005, 11:59 AM   #370
erikbeckjord
Banned

edit

edit
erikbeckjord is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2005, 12:04 PM   #371
erikbeckjord
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Beady
"We are the Galileo, Louis Pasteur,Wright Bros, Columbus of the Bigfoot world."

It's been my experience that anyone who compares himself to Galileo can safely be bet against.

Well my dear, I do have a compliment for you.

(first, though, what IS your experience? You could be 14.)

Compliment --- you stated that maybe photos are sharp, but of
a fuzzy thing... this is RIGHT ON! BF as a shapeshifter,
is shifting alla time,,, and maybe 100,000 times per sec.

So, BRAVA!!!!!!!

EB

NOW GO SEE NEW BF TOPIC ABOVE IN LIST.

erikbeckjord is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2005, 12:14 PM   #372
erikbeckjord
Banned

edit

[edit
Old 15th June 2005, 12:16 PM   #373
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Re: Reply from he who was attacked

Quote:
Originally posted by erikbeckjord

yes, cameras may get good photos of a FUZZY BEING..

as shapeshifters, they may shift at 100,000/sec
and so appear fuzzy
to us
This merits only one reasonable response.

Old 15th June 2005, 12:22 PM   #374
Bronze Dog
Copper Alloy Canid

Since I'm BronzeDog, and haven't used that emoticon yet, I think I'll go ahead and follow in Cleon's footsteps:

*Attempts to regain composure*

Prove he exists before you speculate about his alleged shapeshifting abilities.

Warning: Beware of contaminated water supplies! Suspected source of contamination: Sarah-I

Bronze Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2005, 12:33 PM   #375
erikbeckjord
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by BronzeDog
Since I'm BronzeDog, and haven't used that emoticon yet, I think I'll go ahead and follow in Cleon's footsteps:

*Attempts to regain composure*

Prove he exists before you speculate about his alleged shapeshifting abilities.

Let's use some sense and some science.

You cannot prove a supernatural being exists
for there are no tests for that.

All you can do is to note
WHAT IT DOES that is supernatural

Like going invisible (happened to me)
Like having trtacks start and stop in snow (to me and five others)
Like telepathy (to me and three others or more)

As for your mien, which are you, Curley or Moe?

(of the three stooges)

(for the prize, tell me the third stooge)

email me.

EB
Old 15th June 2005, 12:43 PM   #376
Bronze Dog
Copper Alloy Canid

Quote:
[b]Let's use some sense and some science.

You cannot prove a supernatural being exists
for there are no tests for that.

All you can do is to note
WHAT IT DOES that is supernatural
You're asking me to use science, but you also say I can't test for the existence of Bigfoot?

You can hypothetically prove the existence of a supernatural being: Pass the James Randi Educational Foundation Paranormal Challenge. But you're probably too close-minded to be interested in testing.

As for invisibility: Pink unicorns can do the same. I've seen one in my back yard do it. Same for telepathy.

Old 15th June 2005, 12:49 PM   #377
Ripley Twenty-Nine
Muse

Quote:
Let's use some sense and some science.

*snip*
Like going invisible (happened to me)
Like having trtacks start and stop in snow (to me and five others)
Like telepathy (to me and three others or more)
Oh my.
Quote:
As for your mien, which are you, Curley or Moe?

(of the three stooges)

(for the prize, tell me the third stooge)
{INSERT JOKE HERE}

"Professor, without knowing precisely what the danger is, would you say it's time for our viewers to crack each other's heads open and feast on the goo inside?"
"Yes I would, Kent."
Ripley Twenty-Nine is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2005, 12:52 PM   #378
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Come, Ripley, join the Holy Order of the Laughing Dog...You know you want to.
Old 15th June 2005, 01:07 PM   #379
erikbeckjord
Banned

Davoman needs glasses.

Quote:
Originally posted by DavoMan
While searching for this video, I came accross a brilliant example of how people are already reading into stills of the footage & making up woo explanations for what they see:

http://www.beckjord.com/bigfoot/sulphurbf.html
Please do not talk as if you were an expert on this.

You never saw the video, you never visited me, you never
saw the photos from the video nor the digital info on a high value screen.

Also I note you are criticising me without telling of this forum.In essence, talking behind my back.

eb

Old 15th June 2005, 01:14 PM   #380
Bronze Dog
Copper Alloy Canid

Skimmed some of the websites and I'm underwhelmed by all the photos. Even with stuff circled, I don't see anything that can't be explained by pareidolia. Maybe you should get some higher resolution pictures, so the close-ups will be something other than indistinct blobs.

Old 15th June 2005, 01:25 PM   #381
Ripley Twenty-Nine
Muse

Quote:
Come, Ripley, join the Holy Order of the Laughing Dog...You know you want to.
Must.... resist......... Getting...... so weak..... Accessing http://www.beckjord.com....

Oh hell.

"Professor, without knowing precisely what the danger is, would you say it's time for our viewers to crack each other's heads open and feast on the goo inside?"
"Yes I would, Kent."
Ripley Twenty-Nine is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2005, 01:28 PM   #382
erikbeckjord
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Ripley Twenty-Nine
Must.... resist......... Getting...... so weak..... Accessing http://www.beckjord.com....

Oh hell.

Your momma says it is time to turn off computer and go beddy-bye.

Old 15th June 2005, 01:33 PM   #383
erikbeckjord
Banned

Quote:
Skimmed some of the websites and I'm underwhelmed by all the photos. Even with stuff circled, I don't see anything that can't be explained by pareidolia. Maybe you should get some higher resolution pictures, so the close-ups will be something other than indistinct blobs.
1) fyi, bigfoot does not pose for you.

2) what you see is damn lucky . You can't just go out and
get high defi photos of A SHAPESHIFTER...(as someone noted on this forum....)

and the camera was good qual 35mm. f1.8 lens, 50 mm.
Range 235 feet. On a tripod yet. ASA 200.

It shifts at more than 1/10.000 sec so you cannot get
freeze frame. (exception - Patterson Film).

What did you think these are? A panda ? A chimp? A cow?

3) Pareidolia is a BS term and it is not valid.

Ditto Similaricum (spell).

eb
Old 15th June 2005, 01:37 PM   #384
Bronze Dog
Copper Alloy Canid

Quote:
So, are you saying that the cloud I once saw that looked exactly like Evangelion 02 actually was a message from Studio Gainax, the makers of Neon Genesis Evangelion?

Old 15th June 2005, 01:51 PM   #385
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Quote:
Originally posted by Ripley Twenty-Nine

Oh hell.

Chhhh-prrrrr....Welcome to the dark side....Chhhhh-prrrrrr

This thread is going to get really, really funny when LAL gets back.
Old 15th June 2005, 02:01 PM   #386
erikbeckjord
Banned

Quote:
So, are you saying that the cloud I once saw that looked exactly like Evangelion 02 actually was a message from Studio Gainax, the makers of Neon Genesis Evangelion?

No. However it may have been (I was not there)
a temporary image made of water vapour, that changed ten sec later.

I have somewhere on my sites a rainbow taken in Maui

that has two demon-type heads RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE,

and I once got shots of a Christ in the Clouds image

on the day the Gulf War II started.

Ten min later they changed to reg clouds. (Of course)
Old 15th June 2005, 02:07 PM   #387
Bronze Dog
Copper Alloy Canid

Quote:
No. However it may have been (I was not there)
a temporary image made of water vapour, that changed ten sec later.

I have somewhere on my sites a rainbow taken in Maui

that has two demon-type heads RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE,

and I once got shots of a Christ in the Clouds image

on the day the Gulf War II started.

Ten min later they changed to reg clouds. (Of course)
So, you saw stuff in clouds. That's pareidolia. If I had my camera I could have photographed it and preserved its "Eva 02ness" Is it too much of a stretch that shadows, leaves, depressions in the ground, etcetera, could look like fuzzy apes and footprints?

Old 15th June 2005, 03:14 PM   #388
erikbeckjord
Banned

Quote:
So, you saw stuff in clouds. That's pareidolia. If I had my camera I could have photographed it and preserved its "Eva 02ness" Is it too much of a stretch that shadows, leaves, depressions in the ground, etcetera, could look like fuzzy apes and footprints?
No.

Not pareidolia.

That term implies there is no real image of a real thing.

I say it is there., albeit briefly, put there by spiritual entities, FOR YOU TO SEE.

Happened on my grandma's death, and many times as omens to not go to certain places I was headed for.

Each time, it was right and I was right to have turned back.

Clouds, like water and like rocks, or cliffs,

are an easel for spirits to work with.

Now, are you saying that
Bigfoot rracks I followed for three miles in snow are fake images? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Youse guys be nutz.
Old 15th June 2005, 03:16 PM   #389
Bronze Dog
Copper Alloy Canid

Those particular "footprints" might be something else mundane. But pareidolia seems to be your thing, judging from the photos on your website.

Old 15th June 2005, 07:15 PM   #390
LAL
Illuminator

Quote:
Is Krantz correct?

He was an anthropologist. He had as good a chance of being right as anybody.
Giganto is known from a couple of jaws and a thousand teeth. A foramen magnum would be useful, or better yet, a femur. Ape fossils are frustratingly rare.

Old 15th June 2005, 07:29 PM   #391
LAL
Illuminator

Quote:
Chhhh-prrrrr....Welcome to the dark side....Chhhhh-prrrrrr

This thread is going to get really, really funny when LAL gets back.
It is?
So Voldemort is here, in the flesh........er, post.
You guys wanted a "Bigfoot woo"? You got him.

Old 15th June 2005, 08:00 PM   #392
Jeff Corey
New York Skeptic

[quote]Originally posted by erikbeckjord
[b]I spotted the spoor of a Bigfoot back in 1970, when I was a student at Miskatonic University, in Arkham, Mass. On a brisk December morn, oh yes, I remember it well. Professor Cristopher Robin pointed out that a suspicious tract had appeared across the virgin field of snow in front of of us. He claimed it to be words from the original Wholey Babble, but I demurred. "It is a spoor of the Sasquatch or Big Foot," I demurred, redundently.
"Besides, it's track, not tract."
"But it's a mere 19 centimeters long!", he apostrophised!
"Must be a baby Bigfoot."

This dedicated to Wayne Tytell, who first told this joke.
Jeff Corey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2005, 08:15 PM   #393
LAL
Illuminator

Quote:
1) fyi, bigfoot does not pose for you.

2) what you see is damn lucky . You can't just go out and
get high defi photos of A SHAPESHIFTER...(as someone noted on this forum....)

and the camera was good qual 35mm. f1.8 lens, 50 mm.
Range 235 feet. On a tripod yet. ASA 200.

It shifts at more than 1/10.000 sec so you cannot get
freeze frame. (exception - Patterson Film).

What did you think these are? A panda ? A chimp? A cow?

Ditto Similaricum (spell).

eb

I have one thing to say: Most of your links don't work.
And one thing to ask: What are you on?

Old 15th June 2005, 10:26 PM   #394
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

LAL, you are no longer a bigfoot woo-woo in my book.
Old 15th June 2005, 11:49 PM   #395
erikbeckjord
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by LAL
He was an anthropologist. He had as good a chance of being right as anybody.
Giganto is known from a couple of jaws and a thousand teeth. A foramen magnum would be useful, or better yet, a femur. Ape fossils are frustratingly rare.
I knew Krantz, all too well. You don't.

He was a dishonest scientist who ignored data that he did not "like".

Giganto was never BF since the jaws DO NOT MATCH.

BF has slender jaw ad seen in PG Film, frames 368.369.370.372.372

Anthropologists are not God and Krantz was the devil.

EB
Old 15th June 2005, 11:51 PM   #396
erikbeckjord
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by LAL
LAL:

My links work if accessed via http://www.bigfoot.org

and have you learned to tie your shoes yet?

And do you have a name?

EB
Old 15th June 2005, 11:53 PM   #397
erikbeckjord
Banned

LAL = Will Duncan

Raleigh yoga instructor who gave $2800 to jan Coy

to feed BF.
Old 16th June 2005, 12:01 AM   #398
erikbeckjord
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by LAL

Why are you so trivial? You some kid?
???????eb
Old 16th June 2005, 12:03 AM   #399
erikbeckjord
Banned

Quote:
Those particular "footprints" might be something else mundane. But pareidolia seems to be your thing, judging from the photos on your website.
You judge too quickly, young Jedi.

Take five hrs and read the entire site.

Footprints are passe.
Old 16th June 2005, 12:05 AM   #400
erikbeckjord
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by LAL
It is?
So Voldemort is here, in the flesh........er, post.
You guys wanted a "Bigfoot woo"? You got him.
I have a name and a reality,.

You got nuttin.

JREF Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal