JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
Click Here To Donate

Notices


Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Tags bigfoot

Reply
Old 8th May 2005, 07:08 AM   #41
Beady
Philosopher
 
Beady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: 44:57:19N, 73:16:18W
Posts: 5,508
Quote:
Originally posted by Odin
More evidence that
Bigfoot is an alien!

"We are the Galileo, Louis Pasteur,Wright Bros, Columbus of the Bigfoot world."

It's been my experience that anyone who compares himself to Galileo can safely be bet against.
__________________
I tolerate with utmost latitude the right of others to differ with me in opinion without imputing to them criminality. I know too well all the weaknesses and uncertainty of human reason to wonder at its different results. -- Thomas Jefferson

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -- Thomas Jefferson
Beady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2005, 01:21 PM   #42
DavoMan
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 424
I just think he looks cute. A big brown hairy pea-brain walking around trying to make an honest living whilst being hunted by paparatzi. I bet he doesnt even get paid for his pictures.

I hate the whole 'I bet ya couldnt fake that!' argument. Its a rather big assumption. Also its somewhat of an insult to holywood special effects guys eh?
__________________
Like whatEVER! Jesus is like SOOOO last century!
DavoMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2005, 01:40 AM   #43
Beady
Philosopher
 
Beady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: 44:57:19N, 73:16:18W
Posts: 5,508
Quote:
Originally posted by DavoMan
I hate the whole 'I bet ya couldnt fake that!' argument. Its a rather big assumption. Also its somewhat of an insult to holywood special effects guys eh?
It would have been an insult to Ed Wood!
__________________
I tolerate with utmost latitude the right of others to differ with me in opinion without imputing to them criminality. I know too well all the weaknesses and uncertainty of human reason to wonder at its different results. -- Thomas Jefferson

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -- Thomas Jefferson
Beady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2005, 08:39 AM   #44
The Odd Emperor
Critical Thinker
 
The Odd Emperor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 254
Quote:
Originally posted by Beady
For pretty much the same reason, I suppose, that all the UFO photos are so blurred, grainy and out-of-focus.

Y'know, the thought just occured to me that maybe those videos and photos are perfectly fine; maybe it's the UFOs and Bigfoots (feet?) that are grainy, jumpy, and out-of-focus.
I think you just hit the preverbal nail right ton the head!
__________________
The Odd Emperor
"cave quid dicis, quando, et cui"

The Empire of the Odd
The Odd Emperor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2005, 03:44 PM   #45
Red Siegfried
Muse
 
Red Siegfried's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 585
One thing I did appreciate about the way "A Current Affair" presented the bigfoot segment was that the host came on and said something to the effect of "other shows might keep stringing you along until the end of the show before showing the footage, we won't do that." True enough, they showed it right in the middle of the show, which means I didn't have to sit through 25 minutes of pointless crap to see another 5 minutes of slightly amusing crap. I only had to sit though about 10 minutes of pointless crap, which means that "A Current Affair" helped to hold down my steady diet of crap TV by a few minutes.

See? There's always a light at the end of the tunnel just before you get hit by the train.
__________________
Books are from the Devil and TV is twice as fast.
-Master Shake
Red Siegfried is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2005, 07:46 PM   #46
The Odd Emperor
Critical Thinker
 
The Odd Emperor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 254
Quote:
Originally posted by Red Siegfried
One thing I did appreciate about the way "A Current Affair" presented the bigfoot segment was that the host came on and said something to the effect of "other shows might keep stringing you along until the end of the show before showing the footage, we won't do that." True enough, they showed it right in the middle of the show, which means I didn't have to sit through 25 minutes of pointless crap to see another 5 minutes of slightly amusing crap. I only had to sit though about 10 minutes of pointless crap, which means that "A Current Affair" helped to hold down my steady diet of crap TV by a few minutes.

See? There's always a light at the end of the tunnel just before you get hit by the train.

Well what the duce do you expect? TV is just about selling automobiles and soap flakes. Anyone who says otherwise is either a car dealer or a soap manufacturer.

I just caught the National Geographic Bigfoot piece. I wasn’t all that impressed with it. Although I think there are a number of questions regarding the Patterson film they never really mentioned the one thing that always made the story seem a little fishy.

On some Bigfoot exposé and I forget which one they mentioned how close Patterson had to be to take those pictures, no more than a few dozen yards. If so it would seem unlikely the animal would allow a couple of mounted humans to blunder close, one falloff of his horse, recover and stand up, grab a camera. After all of this the thing walks obliquely across the scene? How incredibly lucky were these two bozos to find a Bigfoot on the very morning that they set out to film one?
__________________
The Odd Emperor
"cave quid dicis, quando, et cui"

The Empire of the Odd
The Odd Emperor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2005, 09:06 PM   #47
DavoMan
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 424
Man that bigfoot just reminds me of something out of classic Star Trek. Although his legs are massive. Must have been some really tall guy in that costume.
__________________
Like whatEVER! Jesus is like SOOOO last century!
DavoMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2005, 08:39 AM   #48
The Odd Emperor
Critical Thinker
 
The Odd Emperor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 254
Quote:
Originally posted by DavoMan
Man that bigfoot just reminds me of something out of classic Star Trek. Although his legs are massive. Must have been some really tall guy in that costume.
That would be the 'Mugatoo' and they were white.

Don’t know; was it that tall? Patterson never really measured the height of the creature. Someone dragged a yardstick to the site in the early 1970s and they determined the figure was over seven feet tall but I’m not sure they were able to determine exactly where Patterson was (he was moving) and where the creature was (which was also moving.)


- paper that among other things tries to establish the ground truth of the Patterson film. Toward a Resolution of the Bigfoot Phenomenon
__________________
The Odd Emperor
"cave quid dicis, quando, et cui"

The Empire of the Odd
The Odd Emperor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2005, 06:26 PM   #49
cbish
Graduate Poster
 
cbish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Nevada City, CA
Posts: 1,237
Tony wrote:
Quote:
The only scientific conclusion is that bigfoot has magical powers which disrupt recording equipment within a certain radius.
The Outdoor Life Channel seems to have a Bigfoot show about once a month. They always set up the 'night vision' cameras to catch a photo. It's always amazing how perfectly clear the deer, racoons, and skunks are, but there is always that out-of-focus, shadowy something at the end.

Mayday wrote:
Quote:
Instead of running your mouth why don't you join us on the next expedition this August in Washington state?
When is it? Are Dr.'s Daniels and Beam going to be there?
__________________
You have to live it to believe it!

If English was good enough for Jesus, it's good enough for you!
cbish is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2005, 04:44 AM   #50
DavoMan
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 424
It's not very skeptical of me, but it seems that all these pictures on the web of 'bigfoot hunters' are full of rednecks or otherwise unemployed-looking people.
__________________
Like whatEVER! Jesus is like SOOOO last century!
DavoMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2005, 10:10 AM   #51
Starrman
Graduate Poster
 
Starrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 1,173
I think Professor Farnswoth put it best:

Sal: Yeah. Have yous ever seens Bigfeet?

Park: Technically no. But I do see him each night in my dreams and each day in the silent faces of hairy children.

[Farnsworth stands up and shakes his fist.]

Farnsworth (shouting): Bunk! Bunk I say! Bring me a bag full of Bigfoot's droppings or shut up!

Park [holding up a bag]: I have the droppings of someone who saw Bigfoot.

Farnsworth: Shut up!
__________________
---------------------------------------------
Prayer has no place in the public schools, just like facts have no place in organized religion. --Superintendent Chalmers
Starrman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2005, 01:35 PM   #52
duggie
Thinker
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 138
Quote:
Mayday wrote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Instead of running your mouth why don't you join us on the next expedition this August in Washington state?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When is it? Are Dr.'s Daniels and Beam going to be there?
And the chainsaw babe? Without her chainsaw hopefully. (But with her implants)
duggie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2005, 06:34 PM   #53
DavoMan
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 424
Come on. The chainsaw makes it.
__________________
Like whatEVER! Jesus is like SOOOO last century!
DavoMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2005, 09:01 PM   #54
duggie
Thinker
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 138
"
Quote:
So DougH, you really believe someone could wade through 4 feet of water along a riverbank which is most likely muddy and debris filled while wearing stilts and a fur covered monkey suit?
Talk about denial! Doug, we all know you are absolutely convinced this is a hoax and Bigfoot can't, doesn't, and never did exist, so why are you hanging around? You just like to stir up trouble I think.
Looks like they got me pegged over at the Bigfoot believers blog:
http://blogcritics.org/archives/2005/04/24/140559.php
Scroll to the bottom for the good stuff. And here I thought I was winning the good fight. Feel free to weigh in over there I feel a little outnumbered!
duggie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2005, 01:19 AM   #55
DavoMan
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 424
There ya go duggie. Can't leave a JREF fan out there alone in at the front lines.
__________________
Like whatEVER! Jesus is like SOOOO last century!
DavoMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2005, 02:29 AM   #56
duggie
Thinker
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 138
Thanks DavoMan, I especially liked the the way you deliberately misspelled amateur like they do on the really cheap porno sites. That should help you fit right in. It was deliberate, right?
(Uncomfortable note to self: how come you know they always misspell amateur at cheap porno sites?)


And sometimes you really do achieve small victories:

"I'd like to hear what you think I'm losing by choosing to sit in the Believers section. (Yes, it's a choice for me because I really don't know either way)"

In amongst the
"There is proof of the existence of sasquatch's in one single book alone: [Big Footprints, by Dr. Grover S. Krantz].
It states several complete and obvious facts...definitive proof why many different footprints could not have been faked. And no one, can argue those facts with any reasons....without sounding like a totally desperate and grasping incompetent bigmouthed uneducated ass.


OK, I may be all of those things around women, but around bigfoot I am Mr. Suave!
duggie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2005, 02:46 AM   #57
DavoMan
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 424
Yeah tell me about it. That line about that book proving bigfoots existence -heh!

Actually I mispelled amateur by accident. I never actually noticed that I've been spelling it wrong all this time!

But what I said about the camera exadurating distance and the guy having a much better view is really important in my opinion.

He had a very very good view of Mr B. Foot, yet he is all like 'All I saw was a figure'.
__________________
Like whatEVER! Jesus is like SOOOO last century!
DavoMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2005, 06:21 AM   #58
Hitch
Muse
 
Hitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 862
Sorry about dredging this up again

This comic struck me as funnier than it should have today because I'd recently read this thread.

Hitch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2005, 08:21 AM   #59
Pepper's Ghost
Scholar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 107
Don't be a part of the problem, be a part of the solution:
http://www.phobe.com/yeti/
__________________
U.S.L.S. 1985-????
Pepper's Ghost is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2005, 04:13 PM   #60
turtle
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 342
Quote:
Originally posted by DavoMan
It's not very skeptical of me, but it seems that all these pictures on the web of 'bigfoot hunters' are full of rednecks or otherwise unemployed-looking people.
When woos say things like this about skeptics you all get your panties in a bunch. When you say it, it's supposed to be humor.

Pray tell just what an "unemployed looking" person looks like, and what's wrong with being unemployed? The implication is . . .?
Oh, wait, I know: all BF hunters/investigators/'beleivers' are dorky looking unemployed rednecks.

Of course.
__________________
<a href="http://ufobits.blogspot.com/">U.F.O. Bits Blog</a>

<a href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Forteans_and_Skeptics/">Join us at Forteans and Skeptics!</a>
turtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2005, 04:18 PM   #61
Chocolate Chip
Muse
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In transition
Posts: 583
Quote:
Originally posted by turtle
When woos say things like this about skeptics you all get your panties in a bunch.
Sorry, I don't get bunched up panties. It would just hurt way too much.
Chocolate Chip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2005, 02:13 AM   #62
DavoMan
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 424
Quote:
Originally posted by turtle
When woos say things like this about skeptics you all get your panties in a bunch. When you say it, it's supposed to be humor.

Pray tell just what an "unemployed looking" person looks like, and what's wrong with being unemployed? The implication is . . .?
Oh, wait, I know: all BF hunters/investigators/'beleivers' are dorky looking unemployed rednecks.

Of course.
Hey I said it wasn't very skeptical of me.
Besides, its a gross generalisation which might make the occasional person smirk when thinking back to some clip they saw of a 'serius' bigfoot hunter in the wild somewhere who obviusly can keep a 8 hour a day job and hunt in the forrests and sleep and do the shopping.

And unemployed people rule. I'm one of em. So I rule.
__________________
Like whatEVER! Jesus is like SOOOO last century!
DavoMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2005, 03:49 AM   #63
The Odd Emperor
Critical Thinker
 
The Odd Emperor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 254
Quote:
Originally posted by turtle
When woos say things like this about skeptics you all get your panties in a bunch. When you say it, it's supposed to be humor.

Pray tell just what an "unemployed looking" person looks like, and what's wrong with being unemployed? The implication is . . .?
Oh, wait, I know: all BF hunters/investigators/'beleivers' are dorky looking unemployed rednecks.

Of course.
Well…

I don’t know anyone on this board who generalizes that much. With one or two exceptions. …
__________________
The Odd Emperor
"cave quid dicis, quando, et cui"

The Empire of the Odd
The Odd Emperor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2005, 12:02 PM   #64
LAL
Illuminator
 
LAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Waynesville,NC
Posts: 3,257
Quote:
Originally posted by DavoMan
Man I've been searching for hours. Can someone please post a URL to this video clip? Its killing me seeing so much text about it but no link.
This one works:

http://www.acurrentaffair.com/promo.php?eid=44

I've been here five minutes and already I can see most of you haven't been doing your homework on the "Bigfoot phenomenon".
For starters, Borody's "research center" is his home. He might have wanted to leave said home to follow up. Even the Current Affair team seems to have found some evidence in the form of tracks, hair and a possible feeding area according to a follow-up news story.
Stay tuned.

Here's this on "Voldemort":

http://www.ufowatchdog.com/beckjord.html

Does anyone take him seriously?
__________________
Lu

https://librarylu.wordpress.com/
LAL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2005, 01:39 PM   #65
turtle
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 342
Quote:
Originally posted by Chocolate Chip
Sorry, I don't get bunched up panties. It would just hurt way too much.
I should have qualified that with some skeptics. Not all.
__________________
<a href="http://ufobits.blogspot.com/">U.F.O. Bits Blog</a>

<a href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Forteans_and_Skeptics/">Join us at Forteans and Skeptics!</a>
turtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2005, 01:39 PM   #66
Red Siegfried
Muse
 
Red Siegfried's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 585
Well of course there were tracks, there was probably someone walking around over there. Tracks are too easy to fake, so in my opinion they usually are very poor evidence.

Possible feeding area? What does that mean? I would think the whole great outdoors would be a possible feeding area for bigfoot.

Hair. Well, finding some hair is good. Lots of bigfoot researchers find hair. Finding hair with intact DNA that can be sequenced and determined to belong to an unknown primate would be better. That has never happened. Not that it can't, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Why do I think that nothing whatsoever will come of this .. no bigfoot, no scat, no hair, no tracks of any value, just blurry video and a the word of a few self-proclaimed experts. And yet, no bigfoot.

--lengthy rant about unemployment and its place in a bigfoot debate deleted then replaced--

Turtle, I assume you are either unemployed or a bigfoot hunter. If I'm wrong, I apologize in advance and I can only assume that you are just a really sensitive person. But could anyone care to explain why what an unemployed person or redneck looks like has to do with whether this video is really bigfoot or not?

Frankly, I consider it somewhat insulting to my intelligence to listen to a self proclaimed woo try to sidetrack the debate with PCness instead of explaining why he does or does not think the video is real, or at least make any comment on it. Those tactics don't fly here, my friend. Typical tactic; you can't discuss or debate in a reasoned way? Just start the ad hominems. In this case, it's implying that someone is a jerk and therefore doesn't have any reason to discuss whether bigfoot is real or not simply because they made a wisecrack about the unemployed. Sorry, not fooling me.
__________________
Books are from the Devil and TV is twice as fast.
-Master Shake
Red Siegfried is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2005, 02:50 PM   #67
LAL
Illuminator
 
LAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Waynesville,NC
Posts: 3,257
This is the story. It refers to the size of the tracks as "abnormal size". Of course, they could be the tracks of the 8' relative of Bobby Clarke's refered to in the blog. Rivers are still frozen in April in Manitoba. Maybe the Cree have a fondness for wading in them at dawn.

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Winnip...39268-sun.html

No, tracks that are good enough to fool experts aren't easy to fake.
Hairs have been analyzed for DNA but the ones from the Skookum Cast were found to be too close to human to rule out contamination.

Fahrenbach stated in 1999:

"I have by now a dozen purported sasquatch hair samples, all morphologically congruent (which rules out hoaxing) and all effectively indistinguishable from a human hair of the particular structure (great variability is available among the latter). DNA extracted from both hair shaft or roots (hair demonstrably fresh) was too fragmented to permit gene sequencing. That characteristic is also sometimes found in human hair that lacks the medulla (as does sasquatch hair - at least what I am willing to identify as such)."
__________________
Lu

https://librarylu.wordpress.com/
LAL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2005, 03:51 PM   #68
turtle
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 342
Quote:
Originally posted by Red Siegfried

Turtle, I assume you are either unemployed or a bigfoot hunter. If I'm wrong, I apologize in advance and I can only assume that you are just a really sensitive person. But could anyone care to explain why what an unemployed person or redneck looks like has to do with whether this video is really bigfoot or not?


Why do you assume I'm unemployed? Or, a bigfoot hunter?
Odd.
You're the one who made the comment about the unemployed and 'rednecks' ...

Quote:
Frankly, I consider it somewhat insulting to my intelligence to listen to a self proclaimed woo try to sidetrack the debate with PCness instead of explaining why he does or does not think the video is real, or at least make any comment on it.


You're the one sidetracking things, what with you going on about this.

I can't comment on the video, since I didn't see it. Now that'd be pretty silly of me wouldn't it; commenting on the validity or lack of, something I haven't seen?

Quote:
Those tactics don't fly here, my friend.

I'm not your friend, chum.

Quote:
Typical tactic; you can't discuss or debate in a reasoned way? Just start the ad hominems.


LOL, who's using "ad hominems." I'm not the one who made comments about red necks and the unemployed.

Quote:
In this case, it's implying that someone is a jerk and therefore doesn't have any reason to discuss whether bigfoot is real or not simply because they made a wisecrack about the unemployed. Sorry, not fooling me.
I didn't imply a thing, I merely pointed out that some skeptics can make generalizations and ad hominems but seemingly woos can't. Sheesh, talk about sensitive.

I think BF is real. Satisfied?
__________________
<a href="http://ufobits.blogspot.com/">U.F.O. Bits Blog</a>

<a href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Forteans_and_Skeptics/">Join us at Forteans and Skeptics!</a>
turtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2005, 07:38 AM   #69
Red Siegfried
Muse
 
Red Siegfried's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 585
Quote:
Originally posted by turtle


Why do you assume I'm unemployed? Or, a bigfoot hunter?
Odd.
You're the one who made the comment about the unemployed and 'rednecks' ...

[/b]

You're the one sidetracking things, what with you going on about this.

I can't comment on the video, since I didn't see it. Now that'd be pretty silly of me wouldn't it; commenting on the validity or lack of, something I haven't seen?

[/b]
I'm not your friend, chum.

[/b]

LOL, who's using "ad hominems." I'm not the one who made comments about red necks and the unemployed.



I didn't imply a thing, I merely pointed out that some skeptics can make generalizations and ad hominems but seemingly woos can't. Sheesh, talk about sensitive.

I think BF is real. Satisfied? [/b]
Sorry, I didn't mean to insult, but I wasn't the one who first brought up rednecks or the unemployed. That was DavoMan who first brought that up. You responded somewhat indignently (is that a word? ) and then I said that I thought you were trying to change the subject by taking offense at his remarks when he was really just cracking wise. I felt is was important to point out that you were not arguing to the topic. Sorry if my style offended.

Like I said, I preemptively apologized for thinking you might be unemployed or a bigfoot hunter. I never said or even implied that you were a redneck. What's wrong with being a redneck anyway? Not that being unemployed is necessarily shameful, but if you would have been a bigfoot hunter, yes, shame on you for being silly. And yes, you are trying to pull an ad hominem here by implying that Davoman is some kind of bigot or something against the unemployed. Maybe you're right, point is, it was off topic. But you're not a bigfoot hunter so forget it. This whole area of conversation has nothing to do with bigfoot anyway, so I'll drop it if you will.

I would LIKE to believe in bigfoot because I think it's a really interesting idea that does not require any supernatural circumstances for it to be real. But I don't BELIEVE, generally speaking. What I KNOW tells me that bigfoot is probably not real.

1. No good hair evidence.
2. Photographic evidence isn't very good either.
3. As for whether or not "experts" are "fooled" by fake footprints, that's a complicated subject. It is easy, if you know how, to make large footprints with dermal ridges and altered anatomy. All you need is a foot, some foam latex, some naptha or alcohol and a small amount of questionalble knowledge about bigfoot anatomy. Oh, wait, no one has any verifyable knowledge about bigfoot anatomy because we can't say for certain whether any of our existing evidence is real or not! So some of the footprints are real because they match with other footprints that are real, right? That's called circular reasoning.

As for whether or not you're my friend, that's up to you, but don't be so touchy. I guess you are kind of a sensitive person, and that's not a bad thing. But I wouldn't get mad at someone who called me a friend unless I felt they were trying to do me some kind of harm, and trust me, I'm not trying to harm you. I'm more interested in showing you that although nothing is 100% certain yet, the evidence for the existence of bigfoot is pretty shoddy.

No, I'm not satisfied that you think bigfoot is real. What would really satisfy me is if you would THINK about the evidence at hand. You might realize that it's extremely weak. I'm not saying you're not a smart person, I'm just saying I think you're wrong.

And you can call me chum anytime.
__________________
Books are from the Devil and TV is twice as fast.
-Master Shake
Red Siegfried is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2005, 07:59 AM   #70
Red Siegfried
Muse
 
Red Siegfried's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 585
Throwing out a bone here. New monkey discovered:

New Monkey Species Is Found In Tanzania


Now, it's much easier for me to swallow a new monkey being discovered for two reasons:

1. It's true. No doubt about it. We have specimens.
2. We know monkeys exist and the idea of a new species of monkey is far more likely than a totally new category of primate, especially such a big one that would have problems staying hidden.

I just find cryptozoology extremely interesting. Riddled with BS, but interesting nonetheless. Sometimes even a blind squirrel finds a nut. It's just that I won't take the squirrel's word for it until he shows it to me. Not a photo, not some nut residue, not legends about a nut. Give me the nut, or at least some real nut DNA.
__________________
Books are from the Devil and TV is twice as fast.
-Master Shake
Red Siegfried is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2005, 08:02 AM   #71
Hitch
Muse
 
Hitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 862
I remember a TV show I saw 30 years or so ago about Bigfoot. It had a guy who'd made a pair of big fake weighted feet that he strapped to his boots and ran around the woods. The footprints weren't all that convincing because the feet were solid and inflexible.

Later a "Bigfoot expert" was brought to the area to see the footprints. He proclaimed them real and the fact that they looked odd because the foot didn't flex was characteristic of the "Bigfoot gait."

To a Bigfoot believer, there is no bad evidence.

Edit: (in reply to Red Siegfried)
Lets hope (for the discovering scientist's sake) that the highland mangabey doesn't go the way of the Preble’s meadow jumping mouse.

http://mountain-prairie.fws.gov/pressrel/05-05.htm
Hitch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2005, 08:05 AM   #72
Red Siegfried
Muse
 
Red Siegfried's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 585
Quote:
Originally posted by Hitch
I remember a TV show I saw 30 years or so ago about Bigfoot. It had a guy who'd made a pair of big fake weighted feet that he strapped to his boots and ran around the woods. The footprints weren't all that convincing because the feet were solid and inflexible.

Later a "Bigfoot expert" was brought to the area to see the footprints. He proclaimed them real and the fact that they looked odd because the foot didn't flex was characteristic of the "Bigfoot gait."

To a Bigfoot believer, there is no bad evidence.
At the risk of making this sound like a mutual admiration society, well said.
__________________
Books are from the Devil and TV is twice as fast.
-Master Shake
Red Siegfried is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2005, 09:59 AM   #73
DavoMan
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 424
It was actually me that made the crack about bigfoot hunters being unemployed. And besides - who really cares. Bigfoot is unemployed & everyone likes him.
__________________
Like whatEVER! Jesus is like SOOOO last century!
DavoMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2005, 11:17 AM   #74
LAL
Illuminator
 
LAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Waynesville,NC
Posts: 3,257
Quote:
Originally posted by Hitch
I remember a TV show I saw 30 years or so ago about Bigfoot. It had a guy who'd made a pair of big fake weighted feet that he strapped to his boots and ran around the woods. The footprints weren't all that convincing because the feet were solid and inflexible.

Later a "Bigfoot expert" was brought to the area to see the footprints. He proclaimed them real and the fact that they looked odd because the foot didn't flex was characteristic of the "Bigfoot gait."

To a Bigfoot believer, there is no bad evidence.


Of course, you don't remember who this "Bigfoot expert" was?

Thirty years ago Dr. Meldrum hadn't examined tracks in situ on two occasions. He was impressed with the midtarsal bend.
Note the half tracks:

http://www.isu.edu/~meldd/fxnlmorph.html

Jimmy Chilcutt found half a dozen of the casts in Meldrum's collection to be compelling because of the dermal ridges, which are neither human nor ape.

Then there's the opinion of the country's foremost primate anatomist that the Skookum imprint was made by an unidentified North American hominid primate, and this after 30 years of scepticism. (Dr. Daris Swindler was usually the obligatory sceptical scientist in the TV shows.)

There seems to be a reluctance on the part of the "true unbelievers" to accept that there's any evidence at all.
__________________
Lu

https://librarylu.wordpress.com/
LAL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2005, 11:23 AM   #75
Red Siegfried
Muse
 
Red Siegfried's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 585
Quote:
Originally posted by DavoMan
It was actually me that made the crack about bigfoot hunters being unemployed. And besides - who really cares. Bigfoot is unemployed & everyone likes him.
I like bigfoot, hence the avatar. If he's real, he's my favorite animal. Like I said, I wish he WAS real. It would be really cool to discover an unknown primate. We could learn so much. But as far as I know so far, he isn't real, so we'd be better off spending our time researching other known primates.

I'll definitely let you all know if someone ever comes up with some evidence that makes me reconsider that stance. I think that would be limited to a live specimen, identifiable remains, or identifiable DNA. Film, video and footprints are just too easy to fake these days. And testimony by itself certainly isn't enough.

Brings up a question that I'm sure has been asked many times before. What would (or already does) constitute enough evidence for you to consider it proof of the existence of bigfoot?

Feel free to chime in, anyone.
__________________
Books are from the Devil and TV is twice as fast.
-Master Shake
Red Siegfried is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2005, 11:28 AM   #76
Red Siegfried
Muse
 
Red Siegfried's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 585
Quote:
Edit: (in reply to Red Siegfried)
Lets hope (for the discovering scientist's sake) that the highland mangabey doesn't go the way of the Preble’s meadow jumping mouse.

http://mountain-prairie.fws.gov/pressrel/05-05.htm [/b]
Good point you make there. We should be careful in accepting reports like this as true automatically. Mistakes can and have been made before.
__________________
Books are from the Devil and TV is twice as fast.
-Master Shake
Red Siegfried is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2005, 11:36 AM   #77
Red Siegfried
Muse
 
Red Siegfried's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 585
Quote:
Originally posted by LAL
Of course, you don't remember who this "Bigfoot expert" was?

Thirty years ago Dr. Meldrum hadn't examined tracks in situ on two occasions. He was impressed with the midtarsal bend.
Note the half tracks:

http://www.isu.edu/~meldd/fxnlmorph.html

Jimmy Chilcutt found half a dozen of the casts in Meldrum's collection to be compelling because of the dermal ridges, which are neither human nor ape.

Then there's the opinion of the country's foremost primate anatomist that the Skookum imprint was made by an unidentified North American hominid primate, and this after 30 years of scepticism. (Dr. Daris Swindler was usually the obligatory sceptical scientist in the TV shows.)

There seems to be a reluctance on the part of the "true unbelievers" to accept that there's any evidence at all.
Yeah, there is a reluctance on my part to accept this evidence, but only because I'm not knowledgable about what human and ape dermal ridges look like, not because I'm cynical. He may be right, and obviously he found his own line of demarcation where the evidence was strong enough for him to constitute proof.

Could you refer us to Swindler's opinion somewhere. A link or a reference to a journal or TV show or whatever? I'd like to see that. Same thing with Mr. Chilcut if you could, please.

Dermal ridges can, and have been faked. But to create a set of dermal ridges that aren't duplicates of either human or ape is probably much more difficult, but it can't be impossible. I'm sure it could be done, but I'm also sure it would take a lot of time, detailed work and detailed knowledge of dermal ridges. I'm not saying they're fake, I just don't know enough about the example you cite to make a judgement there.

As for me, I'll take DNA, a live specimen or identifiable remains.
__________________
Books are from the Devil and TV is twice as fast.
-Master Shake
Red Siegfried is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2005, 12:02 PM   #78
turtle
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 342
Quote:
Originally posted by Red Siegfried
Sorry, I didn't mean to insult, but I wasn't the one who first brought up rednecks or the unemployed. That was DavoMan who first brought that up.
Okay. You posted re: it though.


Quote:
You responded somewhat indignently (is that a word? ) and then I said that I thought you were trying to change the subject by taking offense at his remarks when he was really just cracking wise. I felt is was important to point out that you were not arguing to the topic. Sorry if my style offended.
Wasn't your style (so much.) Was what you said.

Quote:
Like I said, I preemptively apologized for thinking you might be unemployed or a bigfoot hunter. I never said or even implied that you were a redneck. What's wrong with being a redneck anyway?
If by redneck you mean a rifle toting beer guzzling women beating child breeding Bush lovin' new country music fan then yeah, lot wrong with being a redneck.

But I wouldn't dare generalize or resort to stereotypes.

Besides, you have it backwards. I was responding to the statement made by someone else that all BF hunters are rednecks or unemployed, as if there's something wrong with that. I was suggesting that there's nothing wrong with either.

Quote:
Not that being unemployed is necessarily shameful, but if you would have been a bigfoot hunter, yes, shame on you for being silly.
Being unemployed is not shameful, but that's another thread entirely. As far as "bigfoot hunter" if you mean literally, as in hunting to kill the thing, oh yes, I quite agree. Shameful indeed.

If you mean as in: searching for BF, then I don't care if you think it's "silly" or not. (by the way, love that logic: Skeptic: "well, we don't have a BF. No evidence exists to support that theory. But hey, don't go looking for it or anything. That's silly."

Quote:
And yes, you are trying to pull an ad hominem here by implying that Davoman is some kind of bigot or something against the unemployed.
I ain't pulling nothing, and I told you that once before. I'll tell you that again. Are you in his head by the way? I responded to a statement made by someone. You wanna fight. (as usual, there's always a few in here that just can't wait to "attack the woo.") (oops, sorry. Don't want to play the "victim" card.) Wow. [i]How[.i]many times have we been down this road?

Quote:
Maybe you're right, point is, it was off topic. But you're not a bigfoot hunter so forget it. This whole area of conversation has nothing to do with bigfoot anyway, so I'll drop it if you will.
Hey, YOU started it. Sheesh.

Quote:
I would LIKE to believe in bigfoot because I think it's a really interesting idea that does not require any supernatural circumstances for it to be real. But I don't BELIEVE, generally speaking. What I KNOW tells me that bigfoot is probably not real.
Quote:
1. No good hair evidence.
Disagree.

Quote:
2. Photographic evidence isn't very good either.
Most of it's crap. A bit is compelling.

Quote:
3. As for whether or not "experts" are "fooled" by fake footprints, that's a complicated subject. It is easy, if you know how, to make large footprints with dermal ridges and altered anatomy. All you need is a foot, some foam latex, some naptha or alcohol and a small amount of questionalble knowledge about bigfoot anatomy. Oh, wait, no one has any verifyable knowledge about bigfoot anatomy because we can't say for certain whether any of our existing evidence is real or not! So some of the footprints are real because they match with other footprints that are real, right? That's called circular reasoning.
Yes, real easy. I start off my morning making at least a dozen or so before breakfast.

Quote:
As for whether or not you're my friend, that's up to you, but don't be so touchy.
I'm not touchy. I don't take crap. Even if I were "touchy" so what? Don't tell people what to do, how's that? I don't know you, so I'm not your "friend."
(who's "touchy?")

Quote:
I guess you are kind of a sensitive person, and that's not a bad thing.
Honestly, really, I'm not trying to be rude here but I don't care if anyone here is my "friend" or think it's not a "bad thing" etc. Just try to be civil and stick to the topics.

Quote:
But I wouldn't get mad at someone who called me a friend unless I felt they were trying to do me some kind of harm, and trust me, I'm not trying to harm you. I'm more interested in showing you that although nothing is 100% certain yet, the evidence for the existence of bigfoot is pretty shoddy.
then see above....

Quote:
No, I'm not satisfied that you think bigfoot is real.
Okay, now we're getting somewhere and I hope the other nonsense is over with.

Why aren't you "satisfied" that I think BF is real? Are you calling me a liar?
You can be unsatisfied that BF exists. You can believe quite strongly it doesn't exist. You can think people who say they think it exists are wacked out of their minds. But you CAN'T say that you're "not satisfied" that I think it's real.

Quote:
What would really satisfy me is if you would THINK about the evidence at hand.
I've been studying BF for decades, and I've thought quite a bit about the "evidence at hand."

Quote:
You might realize that it's extremely weak.
Then again, I might not.

Quote:
I'm not saying you're not a smart person, I'm just saying I think you're wrong.
Fine. Not at all unsurprising in a skeptic forum, lol.
__________________
<a href="http://ufobits.blogspot.com/">U.F.O. Bits Blog</a>

<a href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Forteans_and_Skeptics/">Join us at Forteans and Skeptics!</a>
turtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2005, 12:21 PM   #79
LAL
Illuminator
 
LAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Waynesville,NC
Posts: 3,257
Quote:
Originally posted by Red Siegfried
Yeah, there is a reluctance on my part to accept this evidence, but only because I'm not knowledgable about what human and ape dermal ridges look like, not because I'm cynical. He may be right, and obviously he found his own line of demarcation where the evidence was strong enough for him to constitute proof.

Could you refer us to Swindler's opinion somewhere. A link or a reference to a journal or TV show or whatever? I'd like to see that. Same thing with Mr. Chilcut if you could, please.

Dermal ridges can, and have been faked. But to create a set of dermal ridges that aren't duplicates of either human or ape is probably much more difficult, but it can't be impossible. I'm sure it could be done, but I'm also sure it would take a lot of time, detailed work and detailed knowledge of dermal ridges. I'm not saying they're fake, I just don't know enough about the example you cite to make a judgement there.

As for me, I'll take DNA, a live specimen or identifiable remains.


Both Dr. Swindler and Jimmy Chilcutt can be seen on Sasquatch: Legend Comes to Life available here:

http://www.bfro.net/LMS/LMS.asp

Chilcutt stakes his considerable reputation on it. (Of course, that could be an actor in a Jimmy Chilcutt suit, I suppose.)

Here's NG on it:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...3_bigfoot.html

This is from a Denver Post (5 January 2003) story which is no longer coming up for me:

"Daris Swindler, for example, is not the typical Bigfoot believer.

When he retired in 1991 after more than 30 years at the University of Washington, Swindler was an acclaimed expert in the arcane study of fossilized primate teeth.

His book, An Atlas of Primate Gross Anatomy, went through several printings and was among the standard references in the field.

So it comes as a surprise to some of his peers that Swindler believes that the Skookum Cast, discovered by amateur Bigfoot researchers in 2000, is a genuine record of a hairy giant that sat down by a mudhole to eat some fruit.

"Daris said that?" asked Russell Ciochon, a prominent paleoanthropologist and professor at the University of Iowa. "He's an important figure. But I still don't think Bigfoot exists in any form." "

Ironically, Ciochon appears in the documentary with his reconstruction of Gigantopithecus blacki.

Fill me in on what dermal ridges have been faked by whom and when.
__________________
Lu

https://librarylu.wordpress.com/
LAL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2005, 12:36 PM   #80
DavoMan
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 424
Man look how much arguing I started with just one statement about rednecks & unemployed people.
Edit: But as far as evidence for bigfoot goes - I would concider a giant growling bigfoot in a cage proof of bigfoot.
__________________
Like whatEVER! Jesus is like SOOOO last century!
DavoMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

JREF Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:32 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
2001-2013, James Randi Educational Foundation. All Rights Reserved.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.