JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Old 15th January 2006, 06:44 PM   #1
CACTUSJACKmankin
Critical Thinker

Does anything paranormal or supernatural actually exist?

I say no. It's not that I'm a stubborn skeptic but, if anything paranormal or supernatural is scientifically proved... it is by definition normal and natural. Having said that, I do doubt that any paranormal or supernatural claims are true. I mean I've seen magicians do things that are infinitely more impressive than any psychic, particularly mentalists.
CACTUSJACKmankin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2006, 06:46 PM   #2
AnotherSillyAlias
Vortex of Despair

Originally Posted by CACTUSJACKmankin View Post
I say no. It's not that I'm a stubborn skeptic but, if anything paranormal or supernatural is scientifically proved... it is by definition normal and natural. Having said that, I do doubt that any paranormal or supernatural claims are true. I mean I've seen magicians do things that are infinitely more impressive than any psychic, particularly mentalists.
Ummm... this is why we have the challenge. Randi has a million bucks for anyone who can prove it. Nobody has yet, this suggests to me it doesn't exist.
Old 15th January 2006, 07:58 PM   #3
logical muse
LogMu

I am absolutely certain that so-called paranormal or supernatural phenomena don't exist. I know that some people here have an open mind to the possibilty that there might be some truth to some claims of these phenomena being real, but not me. However, just because I am absolutely certain they don't exist, doesn't mean that I'll stubbornly deny them if shown to be true.

At first I'd be shaken, and completely sceptical. I'd require incontrovertible, replicable and self-evident demonstrations, but in that case I would happily concede that I've been wrong. And that's the thing. I'd be shown to be wrong. I wouldn't fall back on the safety of saying "Well, you know, in the back of my mind I thought that maybe psychics could tell me how many children I was going to have and exactly which congenital defects they'd be blessed with". I'd be flat out, plain and simple, egg-on-my-face wrong.

But that's not going to happen.

There's a very good reason for that. I'm not sure how successfully I can articulate it, although it is very clear in my mind. It's got to do with imagining what the world would be like, sort of like in this post: How would it look if real?

First up, I don't subscribe to the viewpoint that only a few 'special' people like Ms Browne and Mr Edwards are blessed with the 'gift'. If phenomena such as telekinesis, channelling, prediction, psychic healing and so on exist, then we have to go a step back and look at what causes them. As an example, to be able to predict future events implies that these events are predetermined, and that there is a way to see them (or feel, or somehow sense or have knowledge of them). If this were possible, and if some people had this ability, why wouldn't all people? "God gai'me the gift" doesn't really answer that question.

We can all see, we can all hear, etc. Well, almost all. Certainly our evolved design includes eyes and ears and a way of getting signals to the brain and the capacity to interpret and understand those signals. If any of these paranormal or supernatural phenomna were real, like moving things with "the powa of my brane", then where did that ability come from, if not through evolution like everything else? (I'll address the creationists/IDers a little later).

And so, why did we evolve the ability to move things telekinetically? It would certainly be useful. A cavewoman would be able to telekinetically pick up a rock and dash a tiger's brains out, providing food for her whole tribe. Other cavepeople without this gene would be at a disadvantage, as they would have to put themselves in danger by physically hunting the beast. They'd be more tired, if not actually eaten, and less prone to reproduction. They'd be susceptible to attack by the genetically telekinetic.

Over time, the telekinesis gene would permeate through the entire gene pool. This is why we are now all able to move ashtrays simply with the power of our minds.

Oh, wait... We can't... Damn.

Not to worry, at least we can all read minds. Yeah that was also very very useful back in the cave days. You see, you'd be out hunting, and it was imperative that you didn't make any noise and frighten the game. Luckily, there was an individual in your tribe who could read minds, and if you saw a woolly mammoth, he could see it too, and left-flank it and the two of you could capture it. The fitness advantage of the mind-reading gene is obvious, and that's why we can all now read minds, just like we can all see and hear. I mean, it's at least as useful as sight and hearing, right?

Oh wait... We can't... Damn.

Now, all you IDers are saying "Dude, mind-reading is irraducktably kompleks, and therfore an alien or someone else who i am not clameing is god did it". Even though your grammar and spelling are appalling, let me address this issue.

The old canard of the watch being complex blah blah blah implies that mind reading is also too complex and couldn't have evolved, therefore God did it, right? Well, just like the eye didn't spontaneously appear as a single mutation, neither did mind reading.

Just like the precursor to the eye was a cell that could sense the presence or absence of light, and proceeded in steps of slightly more functionality, so did mind reading.

At first, it was the ability to sense when a person's mind was indicating danger. Nothing specific, just an awareness of impending doom. This was followed by the ability to sense other feelings, such as attraction. As the gene spread, it occasionally mutated and conferred upon its host a greater ability, such as the ability to focus on more specific or subtle feelings and thoughts, then the ability to narrow the focus to a particular individual out of a group, etc, and eventually to the abilty that we all enjoy now: To read, at will, the thoughts and feelings of any other person or animal.

Oh... Wait... We can't... Damn...

Second up, those people who claim to have such powers are transparently limiting their abilities to only those that can easily be faked. Bend spoons? Fer chrissakes man, if you can bend metal then do something useful! Join the State Emergency Service or whatever it's called in your country (I'm from Australia) and go out to road crashes and free people who are trapped in their cars! Can't fake that.

Go to where the earthquake hit, all you telekinetics, and start moving some rubble! Can't fake that.

Prevent H5N1 from mutating into an airborne, human transmissible virus, or at least, look into the future and tell us where and when the mutation is going to take place and save a couple of hundred million lives! We'll send a team out there and when the person you nominate becomes infected, they can take care of it. Can't fake that.

But please, stop telling us you're getting someone starting with an 'M' or a 'J', who likes what we've done to the house. It's too easily faked.

Third up, there's no evidence. There never has been. Studies have been done. There's no evidence. There would be, if there was any truth whatsoever to any claims of the paranormal or supernatural. There isn't.

And that, my dear friends, is how I know these phenomena do not exist. If they did, we'd all be doing it, it would be significant, and the evidence would be there.

P.S. I have a 'fourth up', and beyond...
logical muse is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2006, 08:19 PM   #4
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Well, anything by definition "supernatural" can't exist. Once it's been shown to exist, it exists within the natural realm--therefore, isn't "beyond nature."

As for what's commonly considered "supernatural"--psychic powers, ghosts, goblins, Sylvia Browne's sense of decency, etc.--the evidence just isn't there. I would love for some of this stuff to be real, but at this point I really doubt it.
Old 16th January 2006, 06:52 AM   #5
T'ai Chi
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
Once it's been shown to exist, it exists within the natural realm--therefore, isn't "beyond nature."
Yup.
Old 16th January 2006, 11:49 AM   #6
Almo
Masterblazer

That "Once proven it's natural" isn't very interesting to me, as it's largely semantics. It's strictly correct, to be sure. But as far the claims that are CURRENTLY labelled "Paranormal," they're a load of wholesale crap.
"It may be that there is no body really at rest, to which the places and motions of others may be referred." ĖIssac Newton in the Principia
Almo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2006, 12:30 PM   #7
Melendwyr
Master Poster

All logic is semantics.

"Dance with us, GIR! Dance with us into oblivion!"

"Oddly, stating that one has no creed assures that one has no creed." -- Upchurch
"I am the only one here using reason." -- Interesting Ian
"You cannot respond to the arguments of TIMECUBE!" -- TimeCube guy
Melendwyr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2006, 12:42 PM   #8
Almo
Masterblazer

If you go too far with semantics and semiotics, you run into the problems Jaques Derrida did, don't you?
"It may be that there is no body really at rest, to which the places and motions of others may be referred." ĖIssac Newton in the Principia
Almo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2006, 04:04 PM   #9
Azrael 5
Philosopher

Good post Logical Muse!! How about registering at BadPsychics.com and looking up member Jomarie and drill some sense into her.
Everytime I try I get banned!
Old 16th January 2006, 05:05 PM   #10
logical muse
LogMu

Originally Posted by Azrael 5 View Post
Good post Logical Muse!! How about registering at BadPsychics.com and looking up member Jomarie and drill some sense into her.
Hmm I might just do that, on your recommendation. Of course, it'll probably end in tears...
logical muse is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2006, 07:13 PM   #11
logical muse
LogMu

Hmm I went to badpsychics.com and it's for sale. Owner wants 10,000 pounds for it.

badpsychics.co.uk is the same.

Seems they heard I was heading over there and closed down and moved away!

eta: made clicky links

Last edited by logical muse; 16th January 2006 at 07:33 PM.
Old 18th January 2006, 03:43 AM   #12
Jekyll
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Melendwyr View Post
All logic is semantics.
|- P(x->y) -> (x->y) ?
Old 18th January 2006, 08:11 AM   #13
Nucular
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Almo View Post
If you go too far with semantics and semiotics, you run into the problems Jaques Derrida did, don't you?
What, pancreatic cancer?

Non sunt in coeli, quia fvccant vvivys of heli (Flen Flyys, c.15th Century)

Get out of my head, Nucular (kmortis)
Nucular is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2006, 08:50 AM   #14
Melendwyr
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
|- P(x->y) -> (x->y) ?
That depends what you mean by |-.

(giggles)

"Dance with us, GIR! Dance with us into oblivion!"

"Oddly, stating that one has no creed assures that one has no creed." -- Upchurch
"I am the only one here using reason." -- Interesting Ian
"You cannot respond to the arguments of TIMECUBE!" -- TimeCube guy
Melendwyr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2006, 01:36 PM   #15
Azrael 5
Philosopher

Logical muse,try here:http://badpsychic.proboards53.com/index.cgi?board=two
It has moved seemingly.
Old 18th January 2006, 04:14 PM   #16
logical muse
LogMu

Logical muse,try here:http://badpsychic.proboards53.com/index.cgi?board=two
It has moved seemingly.
Oh man... I had a squiz over there and now my brain is fried with wooness.

I feel... woozy...
Old 18th January 2006, 04:25 PM   #17
Azrael 5
Philosopher

Originally Posted by logical muse View Post
Oh man... I had a squiz over there and now my brain is fried with wooness.

I feel... woozy...
For a so called skeptic site its very woo like! A couple of JREF members over there-and Lucianarchy!-but it is getting worse!
Old 18th January 2006, 05:47 PM   #18
logical muse
LogMu

For a so called skeptic site its very woo like! A couple of JREF members over there-and Lucianarchy!-but it is getting worse!
Yeah I'm not sure I really want to participate over there.
Old 19th January 2006, 08:56 AM   #19
I less than three logic
Graduate Poster

Wink

Sure was an interesting story logical muse, butÖ your wrong. Yeah, hate to say it, but you are. Let me explain.

Your examples are based on the idea that psychic abilities are dependent on some physical trait, a psychic gene that can be passed allowing the evolution of said ability. However, everyone (except for you) knows that psychic abilities are not dependent on some gene, but instead depend on the basic, fundamental, underlying, and concealed primary energy of the universe. This energy can not be detected or manipulated by any kind of scientific inquiry, but it does control everything. Just trust me, it has been proven.

Also, everyone (except for you) knows that the only way to become psychic is to be born within a primary energy vortex, on a Thursday when Mars is in your sign. No! Not where the sign is now, Mars has to be where your sign was thousands of years ago when the charts were right. This also addresses your second claim. Oddly enough, having Mars in your sign when born dictates that you will be selfish. So it seems, as a cosmic joke, that anyone that is psychic must also be selfish. Performing acts that are against your character, such as helping people, cause disturbances in your primary energy and the loss of psychic abilities; the psychics know this, they are psychic after all. Yep, this has all been proven also.

Knowing this information can help you identify psychics. The vortex thing isnít much help, those things pop in and out so often that you canít be sure where they are, but the other info can. Born on a Thursday? No? Not a psychic. If you felt the need, you could calculate the position of Mars on their birthday, and see if it was in their sign (then, not now). Finally, if the psychic is trying to help people, then theyíre not a psychic. This has all been well documented and proven again and again.

I know you probably want links and evidence, but Iím sure your google works as well as mine. If you canít find any, then youíre just not trying hard enough. Like Iíve said over and over, this has all been proven.
I less than three logic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2006, 01:59 PM   #20
CACTUSJACKmankin
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Just trust me, it has been proven.
Last time I checked that's not evidence. and Google doesn't help either. Give us at least a search string.
Quote:
This energy can not be detected or manipulated by any kind of scientific inquiry, but it does control everything.
Then how do we know it's there?
CACTUSJACKmankin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2006, 02:42 PM   #21
I less than three logic
Graduate Poster

Last time I checked that's not evidence.
If my word isnít evidence, what is? You seem to have awfully high standards.

Originally Posted by CACTUSJACKmankin
and Google doesn't help either. Give us at least a search string.
What do you mean Google doesnít help? Iíve never heard such blasphemy. Here, use this search string:

psychic OR psychics "not born on Thursday"

So, do you see any links for psychics that were not born on Thursday? Of coarse not, because there isnít any.(Psychics not born on Thursday that is. )

Originally Posted by CACTUSJACKmankin
Then how do we know it's there?
We know it is there because it has been proven, remember. Please refer to my first statement.
I less than three logic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2006, 03:46 PM   #22
logical muse
LogMu

Originally Posted by I less than three logic View Post
Sure was an interesting story logical muse, but… your wrong. Yeah, hate to say it, but you are. Let me explain.

Your examples are based on the idea that psychic abilities are dependent on some physical trait, a psychic gene that can be passed allowing the evolution of said ability. However, everyone (except for you) knows that psychic abilities are not dependent on some gene, but instead depend on the basic, fundamental, underlying, and concealed primary energy of the universe. This energy can not be detected or manipulated by any kind of scientific inquiry, but it does control everything. Just trust me, it has been proven.

Also, everyone (except for you) knows that the only way to become psychic is to be born within a primary energy vortex, on a Thursday when Mars is in your sign. No! Not where the sign is now, Mars has to be where your sign was thousands of years ago when the charts were right. This also addresses your second claim. Oddly enough, having Mars in your sign when born dictates that you will be selfish. So it seems, as a cosmic joke, that anyone that is psychic must also be selfish. Performing acts that are against your character, such as helping people, cause disturbances in your primary energy and the loss of psychic abilities; the psychics know this, they are psychic after all. Yep, this has all been proven also.

Knowing this information can help you identify psychics. The vortex thing isn’t much help, those things pop in and out so often that you can’t be sure where they are, but the other info can. Born on a Thursday? No? Not a psychic. If you felt the need, you could calculate the position of Mars on their birthday, and see if it was in their sign (then, not now). Finally, if the psychic is trying to help people, then they’re not a psychic. This has all been well documented and proven again and again.

I know you probably want links and evidence, but I’m sure your google works as well as mine. If you can’t find any, then you’re just not trying hard enough. Like I’ve said over and over, this has all been proven.
Wow. It's so much clearer now. I can't believe how wrong I was!

I just checked my birth certificate, and to my amazement, I was born on Thursday with Mars in my sign from all those years ago when the charts were right! What does this mean?

I must explore this hitherto unknown latent psychic ability of mine.

Wait, I'm getting something....

It's....

an 'M'!

or maybe....

a 'J'!

eta: btw, very funny post, I less than three logic!
Old 19th January 2006, 05:56 PM   #23
CACTUSJACKmankin
Critical Thinker

Speaking of funny.

Did you know that in the time before man was exiled from the garden of eden, all animals were vegetarian? Velociraptor claws? Just for show!!!

Why do pet psychics always ask the owner for the pet's name?

And of course what information are the aliens trying to find in our @$$#0|3$?
Old 20th January 2006, 08:14 PM   #24
Starchilde
New Blood

Evidence from where?

I imagine that if anyone really had strong paranormal or supernatural powers that could actually be proven, that person wouldn't come forward at all. Why would they want to? If a person could actually read minds or move things via the power of their own minds, they certainly wouldn't want or need the JREF million. What would make them want to prove anything to us "mere mortals"? I certainly wouldn't, would you?
Starchilde is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2006, 06:24 AM   #25
CACTUSJACKmankin
Critical Thinker

If somebody could prove scientifically that people can talk to the dead, that changes all of our lives forever. Imagine finding out what the founding fathers think of our modern society or what insight einstein could give us. We would know what happens after death. This would be a big deal.

That's why someone who actually has such ability should come foreward and prove it.
Old 21st January 2006, 12:18 PM   #26
Starchilde
New Blood

Them, not us.

If somebody could prove scientifically that people can talk to the dead, that changes all of our lives forever. Imagine finding out what the founding fathers think of our modern society or what insight einstein could give us. We would know what happens after death. This would be a big deal.

That's why someone who actually has such ability should come foreward and prove it.
That doesn't answer my question, which is why would the person with the paranormal power want to come forward? Your example is why we would want them to come forward. There are innumerable reasons that we would want the paranormal to come forth. But the question is why would they want to come forward. If I had paranormal powers, I highly doubt I would come forward to be subjected to vicious attacks or becoming some kind of lab rat to be experimented on. Then there are the villagers with their pitchforks and burning torches to worry about. No way, dude!
Starchilde is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2006, 01:48 PM   #27
CACTUSJACKmankin
Critical Thinker

Is the nobel prize in physics a good enough reason?
Old 21st January 2006, 01:50 PM   #28
chipmunk stew
The Spikey Mace of Love and Mercy

Originally Posted by Starchilde View Post
That doesn't answer my question, which is why would the person with the paranormal power want to come forward? Your example is why we would want them to come forward. There are innumerable reasons that we would want the paranormal to come forth. But the question is why would they want to come forward. If I had paranormal powers, I highly doubt I would come forward to be subjected to vicious attacks or becoming some kind of lab rat to be experimented on. Then there are the villagers with their pitchforks and burning torches to worry about. No way, dude!
Why would someone's ability to read minds or move thing telekinetically dampen their desire or need for a million dollars? If I could read minds, and could prove it, I would be the first in line for the million bucks, the fame, and the place in history. And I would be duty-bound to submit myself to some scientific study, since proof of my ability would shake the foundations of our scientific understanding of the world. But we live in a society that values civil liberties, so I wouldn't be worried about having to submit to any testing against my will. And I think the police and the security detail I'd be able to afford with my fame and fortune should be able to handle the villagers with their pitchforks.

The real question is: If charlatans come forward every day claiming supernatural gifts for money and fame, why wouldn't someone...at least one...ever...whose gifts are legitimate?

chipmunk stew is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2006, 01:51 PM   #29
moopet
binary decision maker

As a side issue, do people who claim supernatural abilities refer to them as super-powers? If not, why not? I would.
"What's your super-power, Kevin?" - "I can fly"
"What's your super-power, Keith?" - "I can talk to your chihuahua"
"What's your super-power, Sylvia?" - "I see dead miners"
moopet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2006, 02:04 PM   #30
Unnamed
Thinker

If I had paranormal powers, I highly doubt I would come forward to be subjected to vicious attacks or becoming some kind of lab rat to be experimented on. No way, dude!
Like we did with John Edwards and Sylvia Browne? Sure, you'd better be on the safe side.
Unnamed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2006, 02:30 PM   #31
logical muse
LogMu

The Brownes and Edwards and Gellars are vilified because we can demonstrate that at best they are deluded, at worst they are frauds, and in any case their powers are indistinguishable from those of a competent magician or mentalist or cold reader.

If Ms Browne started writing out a bunch of equations, claiming they were from Albert, which were then studied by physicists and proclaimed to be the proof of String Theory (or something, sorry, I don't know my physics) then we'd sit up and take notice.

If Mr Edwards started giving precise locations of fossils of hitherto unknown species, we'd sit up and take notice.

If Mr Gellar fixed my broken sunglasses, then I'd sit up and take notice. Actually, in his case, no I wouldn't. Bloody scammer!
Old 21st January 2006, 02:37 PM   #32
The_Fire
Unimpressed Female

there's the million bucks. The fame. Oh and, if it were me, the knowledge of HOW it worked. Turning the bucket around: What would there be to gain by NOT going forward?
And fYI: The socalled "burning ages" (which were actually the "hanging ages") were during the witchhunts a couple of centuries ago. I doubt that there would be that kind of reaction today. Just take a look at how scammers like Gellar and Browne are revered.......

Edited due to spelling.
The_Fire is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2006, 03:40 PM   #33
askolnick
Muse

Starchilde acts like she's just woken up from a centuries-long sleep. It's the skeptics who now have to run from the villagers with their pitchforks and blazing torches. I once was chased down the street outside the Auditorium Theater in Chicago by a big woman with two-inch-long fingernails (sure looked like pitchforks when she stuck them in my face). She was enraged that I had tricked and exposed the notorious televangelist faith healer, Rev. W.V. Grant. I was explaining to a crowd of confused believers that, yes, I had lied to con artist's assistant, but then either God had lied to W.V. Grant or else the con man had lied to all of them when he called me up to the stage and "healed me" of my non-existing cancer. At that point, the woman charged me, screaming "Satan! Get thee behind me!" Considering her size, there wasn't enough room back there, so I took off in front instead, and outran her up Michigan Avenue She wasn't the first or last villager to attack me.

Maybe I should change my name to "FrankenSTEEN"?

So Starchilde's argument just doesn't hold up. Any psychic that comes forth will have not just villagers with pitchforks and torches to protect them, they'll also have huge women with two-inch-long fingernails, ready to charge at the slightest "threat."

"When buildings don't measure up, we need to shave our rulers." -- Supernatural Sam

"Woo-Woo Land is a real fun place, where Santa Claus plays pin-the-tail on the unicorn with the Tooth Fairy, and the dish runs away with the spoon before Uri Geller can bend it." -- Words of Woo-woo wisdom from Andrew Skolnick
askolnick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2006, 08:40 PM   #34
deBergerac
New Doc on the Block

I do not have a problem believing in the paranormal. As some of you know I am a religious person although I do not want to be associated with the nutty Christians you have in the US.
My problem is when people claim that certain things are not paranormal, that they can change the "normal" world or obtain correct information without getting it from "normal" sources. In fact what most psycics do is to claim that the paranormal is normal, i.e. that it exist.
If one like to beleive in the paranormal that is alright, but if one claims that there are paranormal effects that are measurable in the "normal" world I would like to see the evidence.
deBergerac is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2006, 10:38 PM   #35
kaisersean
New Blood

Originally Posted by deBergerac View Post
As some of you know I am a religious person although I do not want to be associated with the nutty Christians you have in the US.
So nutty Christians only exist in the U.S.? No worries, I understand what you're saying. One of my Aussie friends and I take great delight in mocking Pat Robertson endlessly.
kaisersean is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2006, 02:34 AM   #36
Deliz
New Blood

Well as I saw my name at the top of the page..saying I should join in..as I'm a newcomer here..and only posted once...Ill ask what your thoughts of a person who dreams future events..as 30 years ago I dreamed a dear friend of mine died in a small plane crash(his plane) I dreamed he died ..and someone in the plane survived...a week late..he died as I dreamed..and his passenger lived...The dream was vivid, I woke cring in a cold sweat. I debated telling him..and chose not to...and I wish I had..I told my mom, my best friend,,and boyfriend,,they advised me bot to..I felt deep guilt..and grieved for along time..years.I didn't believe in premonitions before that..and I still want to know why .. Many things and events have continued to occur since...anyway...my experince...
Deliz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2006, 06:24 AM   #37
Beth
Philosopher

Smile

Originally Posted by moopet View Post
As a side issue, do people who claim supernatural abilities refer to them as super-powers? If not, why not? I would.
"What's your super-power, Kevin?" - "I can fly"
"What's your super-power, Keith?" - "I can talk to your chihuahua"
"What's your super-power, Sylvia?" - "I see dead miners"
My daughter claims she has a super-power. It's looking good in hats.
Richard Dawkins, July 2005, 10:45

http://www.ted.com/talks/richard_daw..._universe.html
Beth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2006, 07:21 AM   #38
Hindmost
Illuminator

I have one super power...I can always get a parking space...

glenn
Hindmost is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2006, 11:25 AM   #39
askolnick
Muse

Originally Posted by kaisersean View Post
So nutty Christians only exist in the U.S.? No worries, I understand what you're saying. One of my Aussie friends and I take great delight in mocking Pat Robertson endlessly.
Good. We're willing to trade him for two kangaroos. You guys interested?

"When buildings don't measure up, we need to shave our rulers." -- Supernatural Sam

"Woo-Woo Land is a real fun place, where Santa Claus plays pin-the-tail on the unicorn with the Tooth Fairy, and the dish runs away with the spoon before Uri Geller can bend it." -- Words of Woo-woo wisdom from Andrew Skolnick
askolnick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2006, 11:54 AM   #40
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Deliz View Post
Well as I saw my name at the top of the page..saying I should join in..as I'm a newcomer here..and only posted once...Ill ask what your thoughts of a person who dreams future events..as 30 years ago I dreamed a dear friend of mine died in a small plane crash(his plane) I dreamed he died ..and someone in the plane survived...a week late..he died as I dreamed..and his passenger lived...The dream was vivid, I woke cring in a cold sweat. I debated telling him..and chose not to...and I wish I had..I told my mom, my best friend,,and boyfriend,,they advised me bot to..I felt deep guilt..and grieved for along time..years.I didn't believe in premonitions before that..and I still want to know why .. Many things and events have continued to occur since...anyway...my experince...
All my condolences on the loss of your friend. I should point out that if you had acted on your dream, and asked your friend not to fly, and if he listened... then it could not be said that you had dreamt the future, because something different happened. So, since it didn't have to work out as in your dream, at best you could say that you had dreamt a possible future... but is there really anything supernatural about that? Any time we have a realistic dream about the future, it could be considered a possible future.

As for how accurate the dream seemed to be... a few things are worth pointing out. First, if you have a tendency to dream about the future... so many people dreaming, so many events, it's not at all unusual that someone might have a dream that seems unusually accurate. That person would probably think there was something supernatural going on, but it would be just random chance. Furthermore, memories of dreams are highly tenuous and succeptible to suggestion. I have personally experienced the phenomenon. Once, having written down the contents of a dream, I found myself remembering it incorrectly after the fact.

It seems to me quite possible that on some occasions your dreams are not quite exact matches to what happens, but you are modifying your memories of them after the fact, unconsciously. As to why you might be doing so, I can only offer my own amateur opinion based on what you've described. Forgive me if I'm being a bit personal, but it sounds like you were worried about the flight beforehand and considered asking your friend not to go. After disaster struck, you perhaps felt some measure of guilt that you had not tried to convince your friend to stay on the ground. It is an unfortunate thing that guilt can feed itself, and one way of doing so, that I believe is common, is to imagine you had more control over the problem than you did.

If you feel I am correct, by giving up the idea that you can actually see the future, you may gain some level of comfort that what happened was a horrible accident and not some twist of fate that you could have stopped.

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

JREF Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal