JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Tags derek acorah , mediums , psychics

Old 26th March 2006, 05:11 AM   #1
tim
Lasiorhinus latifrons
Combat Division

Derek Acorah - Fake Medium!

I've just joined Mr Acorah's forum and posted this in reply to someone who wanted to know why he left the British TV programme "Most Haunted".

Derek got accused of cheating by the resident parapsychologist, Dr Ciaran O'Keeffe, who is a lecturer in the paranormal at Liverpool's Hope University.
O'Keeffe claimed, amongst other things, that while on a shoot at Bodmin gaol he invented a long-dead South African jailer called Kreed Kafer - an anagram of Derek Faker.
I quote -
"I wrote the name down and asked another member of the crew to mention it to Derek before filming.
"I honestly didn't think Derek would take the bait. But during the filming he actually got possessed by my fictional character!"
There were other claims as well. One show claimed to be broadcasting live from the site of Cheadle's Victorian asylum, a place where - according to presenter David Bull - thousands died in torment. In fact they were in the derelict remains of Barnes Convalescence Home - where nobody died in torment.
Derek seemed to communicating with tormented spirits that hadn't existed.
I guess Derek was in an impossible position and had to leave.
If you dig around on the net you can probably find more details of the affair.

Wanna bet my post gets pulled?
Derek featured in Swift, here - http://www.randi.org/jr/200511/111105derek.html#i1

Hubbard's Law: Don't take life too seriously; you won't get out of it alive.
tim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2006, 06:42 AM   #2
drfrank
Critical Thinker

Any chance of posting a link to the particular forum thread/your post so that we can also check on its progress?

That is, of course, if it hasn't gone already.

On homeopathy:
"I 100% agree with you [that a smaller and smaller physiological effect will be observed in increasing dilution until 24X is reached, at which point there is absolutely no effect.]" Dr A. Sheikh.
drfrank is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2006, 07:01 AM   #3
tim
Lasiorhinus latifrons
Combat Division

It mysteriously disappeared! Good thing I kept a copy! I've re-posted it at 3.58. It should be on page 7 here - http://www.derekacorahforum.org/inde...pic=999&st=120
eta - I post under the name combatwombat.

tim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2006, 08:19 AM   #4
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Hmm. You have to register to view the forum.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2006, 08:30 AM   #5
Azrael 5
Philosopher

These bleever forums dont like it up them! Ive heard the DA site is one of the worst,even bleevers of other mediums get banned for speaking out!
Old 26th March 2006, 08:34 AM   #6
Azrael 5
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Hmm. You have to register to view the forum.
If anyone wants it Ive registered,you can use my log in I dont care!
User :AngelWings
Password : degsy

Got to love bleever names!!!

Still cant access forum-unlss Im thick and dont know how!! Anyway the link is dead.Post has gone.

Last edited by Azrael 5; 26th March 2006 at 08:36 AM.
Azrael 5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2006, 09:27 AM   #7
Darat
Lackey
JREF Forum Liaison

Originally Posted by tim View Post
It mysteriously disappeared! Good thing I kept a copy! I've re-posted it at 3.58. It should be on page 7 here - http://www.derekacorahforum.org/inde...pic=999&st=120
I see you've been told off in purple prose!
Old 26th March 2006, 11:12 AM   #8
drfrank
Critical Thinker

The best post is by Lora (bold mine):

Originally Posted by lora
It is always easy to "debunk" things of the spirit because they are not susceptible to the reproducibility of the so-called scientific method. Psychics just have to accept that they will help the people they are meant to help and that others will not believe no matter what, because they do not WANT to believe.

It's similar to the concept of faith -- faith comes when something happens to YOU, personally. It is not based on objective evidence, it is based on subjective evidence. The same with belief in the paranormal. We've all heard 100s of stories of people who were complete skeptics until someone like Derek gave them a reading and it blew their mind.

I am in the US so have only been watching Derek a short time, but to me, Ghost Towns shows that he is not a fake -- those cold readings that he does for people whom he has never seen before, where he knocks on a door and then gives them evidential little details that no one could have researched or found out anywhere -- that is the proof in the pudding.....
And yes, we've all heard about Ghost Towns. Selecting a house at random... as long as it's that one over there that the camera crews have already set up in...

(Thanks to Azrael for the log-in)

On homeopathy:
"I 100% agree with you [that a smaller and smaller physiological effect will be observed in increasing dilution until 24X is reached, at which point there is absolutely no effect.]" Dr A. Sheikh.
drfrank is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2006, 11:22 AM   #9
ChristineR
Illuminator

Thank you Azrael. The links didn't work for me, but I found all three of combatwombat's posts. Two are in "Derek's departure from Most Haunted" and one is in "MOST HAUNTED??????????!!!!!!!" So tim, I must say you are mistaken--Acorah's moderators are handling this with class, if not skepticism.
Old 26th March 2006, 03:08 PM   #10
Azrael 5
Philosopher

No probs guys!! Just dont go posting and getting me banned!! I can manage that on my own!
Old 26th March 2006, 03:12 PM   #11
Azrael 5
Philosopher

They have an "Open believers" forum! Isnt that a bit of a paradox?

Also all posts are being reviewed by a mod before going up!! Thats end of any common sense then.

Last edited by Azrael 5; 26th March 2006 at 03:30 PM.
Azrael 5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2006, 05:41 AM   #12
drfrank
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Azrael 5 View Post
No probs guys!! Just dont go posting and getting me banned!! I can manage that on my own!
Oh come on, I was pretty sure that you'd agree with all those things I wrote about Derek's mother...

Seriously, though, I'd never use your account to post, generously provided for convenience as it was

On homeopathy:
Old 27th March 2006, 06:33 AM   #13
exarch
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

Originally Posted by drfrank View Post
Seriously, though, I'd never use your account to post, generously provided for convenience as it was
Really, what's the point?
I have never said something like this before, and I've visited homeopathy forums and the like, but the two threads I browsed through there actually felt like they were draining my IQ and making me dumber. And these folks even come right out and admit that they're not objective, and won't listen to anything you have to say. They've made up their mind and that's final.

Ugh, such close mindedness is making me gag.

Naturalhealth: Helios are one of the largest homeopathic pharmacies in England. They have their reputation to consider, so it is just not worth their while doing anything that would destroy that. Rest assured, all their remedies are exactly what they say they are. There are also ways of testing the remedies too, so that you could distinguish them from just pure tap water.
QAman: How can this be done? I presume you mean testing of the lower dilution remedies?
Naturalhealth: No. This can be done for all remedies.

Luciana is perhaps one of the sweetest people I've ever met. I will stand behind her till I drop dead. If you want to **** with her, you better understand you have to go through me first -- MoeFaux
exarch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2006, 07:46 AM   #14
Mojo
Mostly harmless

There are (at least) two threads about Degsy's departure from MH. You reposted the post in Dereks Departure From Most Haunted, but your original post is in MOST HAUNTED?????????!!!!!! (their punctuation, not mine).

ETA: thanks Azrael!

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2006, 08:05 AM   #15
Azrael 5
Philosopher

Originally Posted by exarch View Post
Really, what's the point?
I have never said something like this before, and I've visited homeopathy forums and the like, but the two threads I browsed through there actually felt like they were draining my IQ and making me dumber. And these folks even come right out and admit that they're not objective, and won't listen to anything you have to say. They've made up their mind and that's final.

Ugh, such close mindedness is making me gag.
I know how you feel.Browsing thorugh the archive of Supernaturalworld forum ,in my short stay,people claiming to contact spirits,chakras,ouija sessions blah blah,angel feathers.One person wrote "I dont have any spirit activity now,I closed myself down years ago"
WTF?
A severe lack of sanity on there.Try put forward a reasonable argument and you get banned!! Its the same on every bleever site! People should be educated in schools to dismiss such hogwash.
Old 27th March 2006, 08:23 AM   #16
tim
Lasiorhinus latifrons
Combat Division

My brain hurts!

Old 27th March 2006, 08:26 AM   #17
Azrael 5
Philosopher

ironic that scpetics are cited as being closed minded yet believers wont discuus alternate explanations or listen to facts.Yet we're closed minded!!!
Old 7th April 2006, 10:44 AM   #18
Azrael 5
Philosopher

Quote:
AngelWings,
Your member account at The Official Derek Acorah Forum has been temporarily suspended. This is for letting others use your account to cause upset to other members. Link copyright theft of material from this board, which is not permitted as set in rules and regs.
http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?t=54250

Your account will not be functional until Apr 22 2006, 11:35 PM (depending on your timezone). This is an automated process and you do not need to do anything to expediate the unsuspension process.
Okay who did it?
I dunno what has been posted,as I never bothered going on the forum!! Oops rumbled,I see the randi link!!
Old 7th April 2006, 11:01 AM   #19
John Jackson
Muse

I used it a couple of times to have a look but never posted anything.

I noticed they have a skeptics' board.

Or should I say an "open-minded" skeptics' board - that required a separate password though. I would have liked to have seen the level of skeptical inquiry that goes on in there.

John Jackson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2006, 11:08 AM   #20
Azrael 5
Philosopher

Whats with the linking copyright theft???? Any lawyers about?
Old 7th April 2006, 11:29 AM   #21
ChristineR
Illuminator

Well, I didn't use it to post anything, upsetting or otherwise. Maybe it means they want you to post links to the forum front page, as opposed to posting links that let people get around their registration?
Old 7th April 2006, 12:03 PM   #22
J. Arthur Hastur
Critical Thinker

All you need to do is say 'Derek Acorah,Medium' because they're all fake
J. Arthur Hastur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2006, 12:05 PM   #23
tim
Lasiorhinus latifrons
Combat Division

Oh no! I've been suspended from Derek Acorah's forum. The shame.
And all because I posted here what I posted there. Hmm. How did they know? They couldn't perchance, be reading Jref, could they.........?

"combatwombat,
Your member account at The Official Derek Acorah Forum has been temporarily suspended. This is because you have been copying content off this forum and publishing ot on another.

Your account will not be functional until Apr 22 2006, 11:33 PM (depending on your timezone). This is an automated process and you do not need to do anything to expediate the unsuspension process.

Board Address: http://www.derekacorahforum.org/index.php"

They'll probably suspend me from a gibbit for quoting their email......

Old 7th April 2006, 12:06 PM   #24
J. Arthur Hastur
Critical Thinker

I sure hope they're reading this forum.
J. Arthur Hastur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2006, 12:08 PM   #25
Arkan_Wolfshade
Philosopher

Oh no! I've been suspended from Derek Acorah's forum. The shame.
And all because I posted here what I posted there. Hmm. How did they know? They couldn't perchance, be reading Jref, could they.........?

"combatwombat,
Your member account at The Official Derek Acorah Forum has been temporarily suspended. This is because you have been copying content off this forum and publishing ot on another.

Your account will not be functional until Apr 22 2006, 11:33 PM (depending on your timezone). This is an automated process and you do not need to do anything to expediate the unsuspension process.

Board Address: http://www.derekacorahforum.org/index.php"

They'll probably suspend me from a gibbit for quoting their email......
Ooooh, you spilled the beans on what they were talking about in their little clubhouse. I'm gonna go tell mmmmmoooommmm!
Professor: Or a big fat placebo. It's all the same crap.
Arkan_Wolfshade is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2006, 12:14 PM   #26
sat556

It matters not what you say about Acorah to his fans. It doens't matter one jot if you show them conclusive proof that he had lied, cheated and faked his way around the country and beyond. They like him because he is 'such a gent' and 'such a nice man'. I have even seen some say that the case against him is faked. Wonder if that applies to drink tests too?
Nice man. Pfft.
Why is it that some people think that bad people will appear bad? It's as if they watched far too much Batman as a kid of something.
sat556 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2006, 12:29 PM   #27
walthrup48
Graduate Poster

Acorah appeared on GMTV this morning to identify the winner of the Grand National. After hamming it up about impressions of "strong laughter", "problems with his teeth", "a perky horse", the colours red and yellow and "something to do with the sun" he's adamant that it'll be Garvivonnian that'll pass the post first. The horse races in red and yellow. It's odds are 16-1. The National is on BBC1 at 4.15pm tomorrow.
walthrup48 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2006, 01:18 PM   #28
Azrael 5
Philosopher

Im puttin a fiver on Scouse Fraud in the 3.30!!

Hey maybe we could have a suspension ended party on the 22nd! But then who gives a f**k?
Old 7th April 2006, 01:28 PM   #29
sesmo_k
single space

Well Garvivion is well fancied, but I'm plumping for Joe's Edge. Although the woo in me can't shake the idea of Risk Accessor. Can't get its name out of my head.

Anyhoo, back to the thread. i've been banned from Degsie's site. seems I upset too many people. He's a fraud, they should deal with it. Actually, I have his site to thank for me finding this site. If it wasn't for Degsie's cult....

Don't back anything I have mentioned in this post. They won't win!!! I never do!
sesmo_k is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2006, 06:50 PM   #30
Pal2
Scholar

I'm a regular sceptic on that forum.
Pal2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2006, 09:01 AM   #31
walthrup48
Graduate Poster

I guess Acorah's vibrations weren't tuned in so well. Garvivonnian was pulled up at the end of the first circuit.
walthrup48 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2006, 09:29 AM   #32
Ersby
Fortean

Originally Posted by JimTheBrit View Post
the colours red and yellow
Did he mean green and black?

Quote:
and "something to do with the sun"
"Numbersixvalverde". Don't see the connection myself.

History of Psi in the Ganzfeld 1974-2010
Ersby is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2006, 03:09 PM   #33
Pal2
Scholar

Originally Posted by John Jackson View Post
I used it a couple of times to have a look but never posted anything.

I noticed they have a skeptics' board.

Or should I say an "open-minded" skeptics' board - that required a separate password though. I would have liked to have seen the level of skeptical inquiry that goes on in there.
Not a lot happens on there because there aren't that many sceptics who come on that forum and many of the ones that do are rude. I have tried to keep sceptical debate up but haven't had much luck.
Pal2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2006, 04:27 AM   #34
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by JimTheBrit View Post
Acorah appeared on GMTV this morning to identify the winner of the Grand National. After hamming it up about impressions of "strong laughter" ...
Well, he got that bit right!

Old 10th April 2006, 04:39 AM   #35
Stitch
Muse

And by fluke somebody not claiming to be a medium, predicted the first 3 horses, though not in the right order, and yet people still think DA is genuine
http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?t=55124
Stitch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2006, 05:41 AM   #36
brodski
Tea-Time toad

Originally Posted by Ersby View Post
Did he mean green and black?

"Numbersixvalverde". Don't see the connection myself.
Well, the sun is a star, and "numbersixvalverdae" is a clear reference to The Prisoner (Number six) and the films Predator (set in a fictional south American country "Valverdae") and Die Hard II (The evil dictator was from the same fictional south American country), both of these films, and the TV programme had "stars", so you see, DA was spot on
brodski is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2006, 11:26 AM   #37
tim
Lasiorhinus latifrons
Combat Division

Originally Posted by Pal2 View Post
Not a lot happens on there because there aren't that many sceptics who come on that forum and many of the ones that do are rude. I have tried to keep sceptical debate up but haven't had much luck.
I object! I wasn't rude - I went out of my way to be factual and polite. I didn't even give links 'cos they say you shouldn't!
Did I call Derek Acorah a liar? No!
Did I call him a fake? No!
Did I call him a pox-begotten son of a brothel-born bum-f***er? I did not!
So I demand an apology, Pal2!

Old 10th April 2006, 03:48 PM   #38
Pal2
Scholar

I object! I wasn't rude - I went out of my way to be factual and polite. I didn't even give links 'cos they say you shouldn't!
Did I call Derek Acorah a liar? No!
Did I call him a fake? No!
Did I call him a pox-begotten son of a brothel-born bum-f***er? I did not!
So I demand an apology, Pal2!
Np you seemed quite polite, but since i didn't suggest you were rude in the first place you'll get no appologie out of me.

Jon Donnis seems to be doing rather well over there, they haven't banned him and he is a major sceptic.

Last edited by Pal2; 10th April 2006 at 03:50 PM.
Old 13th April 2006, 02:45 AM   #39
phenomenon
Scholar

Snw

Quote:
A severe lack of sanity on there.Try put forward a reasonable argument and you get banned!! Its the same on every bleever site!
John...will you never learn?

My site has an abundance of skeptics as you well know. It has never been about banning skeptics John, it's about banning those that insult, a trait you show far too often. When a site with believers and skeptics, not to mention the team ask for you to be removed, there is only one choice open. I have absolutely no doubts that should you repeat your behaviour on here you'd be off the board in a shot.

Why not ask your questions in a polite manner instead of chucking insults around like candy, see where it gets you. My guess is you'll probably get an answer rather than a barrage of inflammatory comments. Heck John, you even managed to get banned from BP, speaks volumes I reckon. I also notice your approach on this board is markedly different, I wonder why that is. Perhaps the thought of being banned from the biggest skeptical community on the net is just too much for you to take.

Jon Donnis is indeed back on the DA site and posting away to his hearts content, although some of what he's posted has either been deleted or locked.

Pal2, there never will be much action in the skeptical forums, the site is and always will be a believer's site. Complaining about the nature of conversation is fruitless, anyone joining knows the deal, so why bother trying to persuade any form of critical thought, it's just never going to happen.

Owner: The Supernatural World
phenomenon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2006, 02:53 AM   #40
NeilC
Graduate Poster

However we are allowed to insult him here.

Derek Acorah is a fake and a liar. We know this. He knows this.

He's also unconvincing, pathetic and embarassing to watch.

I'd love to see him defend himself by taking Dr O'Keeffe to court.
NeilC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

JREF Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal