JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Tags snakes

Old 3rd April 2006, 09:46 AM   #1
CFLarsen
Penultimate Amazing

Snake found in broccoli

Quote:
A woman opened a bag of broccoli and found a live snake.

Tina Cosby was preparing tea for her family when she spotted the foot-long grey and black snake curled around the veg.

According to The Sun she said: "I took out the bag and put it on my kitchen worktop while I untied it.

"I was about to put my hand in to pull out the broccoli when I suddenly saw this snake inside. Its beady eyes opened and I threw a fit. It was staring at me and its little tongue was poking in and out.

"I was shaking and so terrified that I could feel my heart racing. I had to have a cup of tea to calm down - and then I felt sick."
Source
Spot the error.
Old 3rd April 2006, 09:48 AM   #2
Pythra
Thinker

Snakes have no eyelids?
Pythra is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2006, 09:51 AM   #3
kevin
Graduate Poster

I thought snakes were on planes.

Do snakes have eyelids, or at least ones that can close? I thought they were transparent so she couldn't have seen it open it's eyes.
Old 3rd April 2006, 09:53 AM   #4
kevin
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Pythra View Post
Snakes have no eyelids?
darn it! I stopped to verify my memory on wikipedia. Should've just posted it straight off.

and welcome to the board.
Old 3rd April 2006, 09:54 AM   #5
wunky
gun-toting weasel

Location: Somewhere dealing with a looming or a barking problem.
I have never liked broccoli and now I have another reason not to like it.
I do like snakes though....
At the dead point of the afternoon/ where I at the sea's edge/ watch the waves poised/ between their climax and release/ posed with ineluctable grace/ between two gravities/ between the grave and the graver still/ I long for this dead point/ stretching the climax from the release,/ this finely spun short nothingness/ no longer spinning
wunky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2006, 10:03 AM   #6
tkingdoll
AKA TEEK

You know how I knew snakes have no eyelids? This is such a cool story:

I took my copy of The Quark and The Jaguar to TAM4 with the express purpose of getting it signed by Murray Gell-Mann.

When I gave it to him to sign, he looked at the cover and said "this is the UK edition, yes?". I confirmed that it was and he said "ah, there's an error in here then".

He flipped immediately to the exact page he was looking for (no browsing required, thanks), and pointed to a sentence which ended with an analogy about a serpent opening its eyes. He underlined the sentence and said "of course, serpents don't have eyelids, I made a mistake".

What a great man.

www.stormmovie.net

Official website of Tim Minchin's Storm Movie
tkingdoll is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2006, 10:05 AM   #7
Psi Baba
Homo Skepticalis

Man, that's taking your organic food a little far isn't it? Processed food may have rat hair in it, but at least the rest of the rat isn't still connected to it with nose a-twitchin'. I'll stick with my frozen Birds-Eye Broccoli Florets, thank you very much.
Old 3rd April 2006, 10:06 AM   #8
RandFan
Mormon Atheist

Originally Posted by tkingdoll View Post
You know how I knew snakes have no eyelids? This is such a cool story:

I took my copy of The Quark and The Jaguar to TAM4 with the express purpose of getting it signed by Murray Gell-Mann.

When I gave it to him to sign, he looked at the cover and said "this is the UK edition, yes?". I confirmed that it was and he said "ah, there's an error in here then".

He flipped immediately to the exact page he was looking for (no browsing required, thanks), and pointed to a sentence which ended with an analogy about a serpent opening its eyes. He underlined the sentence and said "of course, serpents don't have eyelids, I made a mistake".

What a great man.
That is a cool story.

It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion. --Adam Smith
RandFan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2006, 10:24 AM   #9
CFLarsen
Penultimate Amazing

Snakes actually have eyelids. They are just "fused", and transparent.
Old 3rd April 2006, 10:26 AM   #10
Deetee
Illuminator

Probably just it's nictitating membrane.
"Homeopathy: I never knew there was so little in it." - BSM
Deetee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2006, 10:44 AM   #11
Mr. Skinny
Alien Cryogenic Engineer

Originally Posted by CFLarsen View Post
OK then, the mistake must be that no one in their right mind would make broccoli tea. I mean, how gross is that?
"Deities do not organize, they command." - Hokulele
Mr. Skinny is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2006, 10:54 AM   #12
Kelly
No Psychics, Please

If the snake was in an air tight bag, how did it survive?
Kelly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2006, 10:57 AM   #13
Amapola
Pirate

Originally Posted by Deetee View Post
Probably just it's nictitating membrane.
Snakes don't have that. I know from handling 100s of the charming things and keeping them as pets, but go ahead and check the Wiki article you posted; snakes are not listed. Now, OTHER types of reptiles do have nictitating membranes, but not snakes.

BTW, I would be thrilled to receive a snake with my broccoli. Whenever I am out on a walk and encounter a snake, I generally try to catch it and bring it home to turn it loose in my garden. I have even captured rattlesnakes at campgrounds, and carried them off to safety so the silly humans would not kill them. Snakes are very cool.
Amapola is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2006, 11:29 AM   #14
Tanja
Comfortably Numb

Of course, I had to be eating broccoli as I was reading this thread. I still have not recovered from the trauma of finding an monstrous caterpillar in my cauliflower when I was a child.
By the way, the story of how my mother got a phobia of snakes involves my mother alone in her research lab, and a large snake that escaped from the lab above.
Tanja is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2006, 11:37 AM   #15
CFLarsen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tanja View Post
Of course, I had to be eating broccoli as I was reading this thread. I still have not recovered from the trauma of finding an monstrous caterpillar in my cauliflower when I was a child.
There's only one thing worse: Finding half a caterpillar in your cauliflower....
Old 3rd April 2006, 11:45 AM   #16
Tanja
Comfortably Numb

There's only one thing worse: Finding half a caterpillar in your cauliflower....
Even worse. The caterpillar was white and by the time I realised it was a chunky caterpillar rather than a chunk of cauliflower it was stuck on my fork.
Tanja is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2006, 11:56 AM   #17
c4ts
Philosopher

Spot the error.
A cup of tea will make your heart race.

Stupid signature size limit.
c4ts is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2006, 01:56 PM   #18
Kiless

You're just doing this because I love broccoli, aren't you?
Kiless is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2006, 01:59 PM   #19
CFLarsen
Penultimate Amazing

Broccoli is a weird veggie.

It doesn't taste of much, it looks...well, strange....but there's not much bad to be said about it.

Except when you are Elder Bush, of course...
Old 3rd April 2006, 02:05 PM   #20
Ashles
Pith Artist

Spot the error.
The words "According to The Sun..."

Pretty much the equivalent of
"A bloke my brother knew met this guy in a pub who told him..."
or
"Jambo said..."
Old 3rd April 2006, 02:28 PM   #21
casebro
Philosopher

Originally Posted by wunky View Post
Me too. Roasted, boiled, or baked, I prefer them to broccoli.

Some have called me cynical, but I don't believe them.

It's not how many breaths you take. It's how many times you have been breathless that counts.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2006, 02:29 PM   #22
c4ts
Philosopher

Snakes on a plate!

Stupid signature size limit.
c4ts is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2006, 02:47 PM   #23
Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Nap, interrupted.

Originally Posted by KellyJ
If the snake was in an air tight bag, how did it survive?
Transdimensional snake.

~~ Paul

RIP Mr. Skinny
Paul C. Anagnostopoulos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2006, 03:35 PM   #24
SPQR
Darwin's Dachshund

Originally Posted by wunky View Post
I'd buy more broccoli if I was guaranteed a snake in every bag.

My blog:Jeremy the Skeptic
SPQR is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2006, 04:05 PM   #25
Zep
Banned

Why would ANY snake associate itself with broccoli?

Zep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2006, 05:38 PM   #26
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

My wife is a florist, and they are very careful when opening boxes of flowers. Most of these come from South America, and often contain lizards, spiders, and similar creatures. No snakes yet...
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2006, 01:59 AM   #27
Kiless

Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
My wife is a florist, and they are very careful when opening boxes of flowers. Most of these come from South America, and often contain lizards, spiders, and similar creatures. No snakes yet...
'Hide the deadly/Black TARANTULA!! '

(yeah, I know, but we don't seem to have a spider-smiley yet....)

snakes without a plane... poor snakes... snakes bereft of their natural habitat... the Boeing 747.... who, oh, who will help the snakes... antelopes in an Austin Martin?
Kiless is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2006, 02:39 AM   #28
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by Tanja View Post
Even worse. The caterpillar was white and by the time I realised it was a chunky caterpillar rather than a chunk of cauliflower it was stuck on my fork.
Well, I hope you didn't complain too loudly.

Or everyone would have wanted one.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2006, 01:38 PM   #29
SteveGrenard
Philosopher

Afraid not. Whoever said snakes don't have eyelids are correct. Eyelids imply they can open and close and it's a stretch to call the covering of a snake's eyes eyelids. They can't open and close. They're actually a scale called the brill. They are transparent alright, part of the skin and are shed with the skin as one piece whenever a snake sheds. Since they are shed with the skin they are not permanently fused either. A day or two before shedding they become opaque (milky/bluish)and the snake is blind during this time. Snakes shut out light and rest/sleep by going to ground, hiding in the underbrush, burrowing slightly into the soil or tucking their heads into the center of their coiled bodies.

Quote:

brill

Definition - A transparent scale covering a snake\'s eye.

Context - A transparent scale known as the brill and covering the eye takes on a milky hue-the clearest sign of the transformation to come.

http://discoveryschools.com.au/TEACHER'SGUIDE/guide.php?id=61&s=2

Last edited by SteveGrenard; 4th April 2006 at 01:49 PM.
SteveGrenard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2006, 07:40 AM   #30
CFLarsen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SteveGrenard View Post
Eyelids imply they can open and close
No, it doesn't imply that.
Old 6th April 2006, 08:12 AM   #31
Nex
Forum Turnip

No, it doesn't imply that.
Hm, I would think that it does. What else does a lid do, after all? You can open a lid, and close a lid. Can't say I've heard of anyone opening and closing their brills, though.
Old 6th April 2006, 08:15 AM   #32
strathmeyer
seriously unable to be serious

Originally Posted by Nex View Post
Hm, I would think that it does. What else does a lid do, after all? You can open a lid, and close a lid. Can't say I've heard of anyone opening and closing their brills, though.
Oh, man, I was so waiting for a fight to break out here.

"She was choppin' broccoli!"
strathmeyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2006, 12:16 PM   #33
SteveGrenard
Philosopher

Finish the story:

Ever try and hypnotize a snake?

Hypnotist: Snake, your eyelids are getting heavier and heavier ....

Wait a minute, you don't have any eyelids.
SteveGrenard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2006, 12:23 PM   #34
CFLarsen
Penultimate Amazing

Let's cut the crap here, OK?

Quote:
An eyelid is a thin fold of skin and muscle that covers and protects an eye.
Wikipedia
Whether it moves or not is beside the point:

Quote:
The levator palpebrae superioris muscle retracts the eyelid to "open" the eye.
Wikipedia
So, it's the levator palpebrae superioris muscle that determines if the eyelid moves or not. Not the eyelid itself.

Ergo, snakes have eyelids. Fused, sure. But eyelids nonetheless.

Last edited by CFLarsen; 6th April 2006 at 12:36 PM.
CFLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2006, 12:33 PM   #35
Kotatsu
Phthirapterist

Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
While they are rarely as hazardous to your health as tarantulas and snakes, transporting plants across the world is also a common way to introduce oligochaeta into new areas. For example, my supervisor at Uni discovered a hitherto unnamed Achaeta species in a greenhouse last autumn. Supposedly, the species is native to El Salvador, but the only known individual comes from Sweden. Only this week, I most likely discovered the first Biwadrilus outside Japan ever (as far as my supervisor and I are aware).

But they are hardly as glamorous as snakes and tarantulas, and never figure in the press (although the first Haplotaxis found in Sweden made a two-page article in a national science magazine).
"It is not supposed to be funny or annoying or insightful, because it is neither; nor to convey or express any emotion or wit, because it doesn't; nor to be any kind of art, because it isn't; but merely to be repetitive. It is repetition for the sake of repetition; mindless, relentless, remorseless and -- ultimately -- redundant." K. Krishnamurthi, "The Seven Forms of Repetition", 1972.

Last edited by Kotatsu; 6th April 2006 at 12:52 PM.
Kotatsu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2006, 02:50 PM   #36
SteveGrenard
Philosopher

yeah, let's cut the crap here folks ....

Quote:

All snakes lack limbs; there are however, some species that have vestigial limbs in the form of small spurs. All snakes lack eyelids (there are some lizard species that lack eyelids, but none in Idaho).

From: http://imnh.isu.edu/digitalatlas/bio.../main/serp.htm

Clear scales called spectacles cover the eyes. A snake has no eyelids, so it can't close its eyes. It can only see things up close.

From: http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/young_nat...kes/index.html

Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries
Do snakes hypnotize their victims? No. Snakes lack eyelids, so their gaze is seemingly locked in a stare. Staring at a snake's eyes will not cause a person ...

www.wlf.state.la.us/apps/ netgear/index.asp?cn=lawlf&pid=613

As we know that snakes lack eyelids and instead they have a see-through scale protecting their eye. You should see the two "eye-scales". ...
www.icon.co.za/~mvdmerwe/skin_d.htm

Maryland's Wildlife Species - All About Snakes in Maryland ...

But did you know that snakes don't have eyelids or external ear openings? Their bodies are protected by a layer of scales. Each species of snake has a ...

www.dnr.state.md.us/wildlife/snakeinfo.asp

That snakes lack eyelids is common knowledge. In place of the missing eyelids are protective, clear scales called the spectacles or eye caps. ...

www.animalnetwork.com/reptiles/ detail.aspx?aid=2496&cid=3691&search

Snakes - Plant Management in Florida Waters
Snakes lack limbs, eyelids, and external ear openings. They are covered with scales and regulary shed their skin as they continuously grow throughout their ...

aquat1.ifas.ufl.edu/guide/snakes.html

Snake FAQ

Do snakes have eyelids? No. They have a protective layer over their eyes that shed when snakes shed their skin. Are Anacondas good pets? ...

www.geocities.com/shavano08/faq.html

Myths vs Fact

Snakes lack eyelids and thus their unblinking stare has given rise to this particular legend. Sometimes small prey animals will freeze from fear when ...

www.seanthomas.net/oldsite/myths.html

Snakes lack eyelids. A snake's eyes are protected by a specialize clear scale called a brille. The brille is shed with the rest of the skin as a snake grows ...

www.wnyherp.org/herp-information/reptile/snake.php

Google returns over 200K cites for snakes and eyelids, most of which say snakes lack eyelids. A few make the mistake of calling the brill or brille an eyelid. It is a "spectacle" that
is part of the skin. Even if snakes had muscles which move the eyelids in other veretbrates, they don't since they do not have eyelids.

Last edited by SteveGrenard; 6th April 2006 at 02:55 PM.
Old 6th April 2006, 03:04 PM   #37
SteveGrenard
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Kotatsu View Post
While they are rarely as hazardous to your health as tarantulas and snakes, transporting plants across the world is also a common way to introduce oligochaeta into new areas. For example, my supervisor at Uni discovered a hitherto unnamed Achaeta species in a greenhouse last autumn. Supposedly, the species is native to El Salvador, but the only known individual comes from Sweden. Only this week, I most likely discovered the first Biwadrilus outside Japan ever (as far as my supervisor and I are aware).
Congratulations. That is quite a find. Did you find it in produce or was it
in the ground?

Quote:
..... as glamorous as snakes and tarantulas, and never figure in the press (although the first Haplotaxis found in Sweden made a two-page article in a national science magazine).
Was it a Swedish national science magazine?
Old 6th April 2006, 03:29 PM   #38
HarryKeogh
Catholic School Survivor

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=eyelid

eye·lid n.
Either of two folds of skin and muscle that can be closed over the exposed portion of the eyeball. Either of two folds of skin that can be moved to cover or open the eye

It seems that an eyelid has to move.

plus I think a herpetological society would know better than us.

Snakes lack eyelids. A snake's eyes are protected by a specialize clear scale called a brille. The brille is shed with the rest of the skin as a snake grows ...

www.wnyherp.org/herp-information/reptile/snake.php

plus look at what "Digger Doug" has to say!

http://www.discoverymagazine.com/dig.../d9211dda.html

Why do copperhead snakes have scales over their eyes? — Michael of Croton-on-Hudson, NY
Dear Michael,

All snakes have scales over their eyes. They need these scales for protection, since they don't have eyelids. At certain times, however, a snake's eyes become cloudy. Do you know why?
As a snake grows, its skin doesn't. It must shed its old skin; this is called "molting." A snake's skin is in one piece — like a glove that covers its body from head to tail. Before molting, a new layer of skin forms beneath the old one. Then a liquid spreads between the old and new skin which helps separate them. This liquid causes the snake's eyes to become cloudy. When the old skin comes off, its eyes clear up again.

Last edited by HarryKeogh; 6th April 2006 at 03:34 PM.
HarryKeogh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2006, 05:58 PM   #39
LostAngeles
Anti-WM Jihadist

The answer is still that snakes aren't found in broccoli, but on motherf***ing planes.
"There is also a likelihood that the settlement will fall between two biomes, potentially hazardous if the player expects a peaceful oceanside meadow, without realizing the ocean is full of amphibious zombie whales." - Dwarf Fortress Wik
LostAngeles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2006, 11:16 PM   #40
CFLarsen
Penultimate Amazing

Google returns over 200K cites for snakes and eyelids, most of which say snakes lack eyelids.
You read through over 200,000 cites??

Even if snakes had muscles which move the eyelids in other veretbrates, they don't since they do not have eyelids.
Eyelids aren't eyelids because they can move, Steve.

JREF Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal