JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Tags murray , madeleine , happened

Old 21st June 2006, 09:14 AM   #1
This Guy
Master Poster

What happened to Madeleine Murray O'Hare?

Co-worker asked me this, and I couldn't answer.

Google gave a long list of links, but after 14 pages or so, everything I saw boiled down to a few unique references. Most were about some e-mail scam about an FCC petition, and forget what the others were. But the only thing I saw about her death was at best second hand (not an actual news story, but a short, unreferenced summation).

Anyone know for sure? Or even have a link to the report that might explain it?

Appears she was killed, and her bones found in Texas, or something?

Never paid her much attention, and musta missed the ending.

Figure this forum would be the right one for this question.

To the Mods, feel free to move it if I'm wrong
Old 21st June 2006, 09:25 AM   #2
Lisa Simpson
Evil Minion
Administrator

Quote:
On August 27, 1995, Madalyn, Jon Garth, and Robin Murray O'Hair (William's daughter, whom she had adopted) disappeared from the headquarters of American Atheists, leaving a note implying an absence for some time and a visit to San Antonio, Texas. In September, Jon ordered $600,000 (USD) worth of gold coins from a San Antonio jeweler but took delivery of only $500,000 (USD). No further communication came from any of the O'Hairs, and one year later, William Murray filed a missing persons report.

There was speculation that the O'Hairs had abandoned American Atheists and fled with the money. One investigator concluded they had gone to New Zealand. Other theories suggested fundamentalist Christians had kidnapped the trio. Another rumor was that O'Hair had died of natural causes, and that her remains had been secretly disposed of to prevent the possibility of a "Christian burial" by her son. The O'Hairs were declared legally dead, and many of their assets were sold to clear up their debts.

Ultimately, a murder investigation focused on David Roland Waters, who had worked as an office manager and typesetter for American Atheists and who had previous convictions for violent crimes and also one for stealing $50,000 from the organization. Police concluded that he and his accomplices had kidnapped the O'Hairs, forced them to withdraw the missing funds, and then murdered them. Waters eventually pled guilty to reduced charges. Subsequently, in January 2001, Waters informed the police that the O'Hairs were buried on a ranch in Texas, and gave them the exact location of the ranch and the bodies. When the police excavated there, they discovered that the O'Hairs' bodies had been cut into dozens of pieces with a saw. The remains exhibited such extensive mutilation and successive decomposition that identification had to be made through dental records, by DNA testing, and in Madalyn O'Hair's case, by her prosthetic hip.
From Wikipedia

And another link
http://tspweb02.tsp.utexas.edu/webar...03_Waters.html

Facts are satanic litter on the heavenly highway to blind faith! - Betty Bowers
Lisa Simpson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2006, 09:55 AM   #3
This Guy
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Lisa Simpson View Post
I shoulda tried the Wiki!

Thanks!!!
Old 21st June 2006, 07:13 PM   #4
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness

At TAM4, I ate dinner one night with the guy who would have been the office manager if Waters' hadn't been.
Silly Green Monkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2006, 07:18 PM   #5
Pauliesonne
Bi Gi

Originally Posted by Silly Green Monkey View Post
At TAM4, I ate dinner one night with the guy who would have been the office manager if Waters' hadn't been.
Spooky.

JREF Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy