JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Tags raymond

Old 11th October 2006, 02:50 AM   #1
jonronson
Scholar

Raymond Moody

Hi. I'm just watching Raymond Moody's video, Life After Life. I was wondering if anyone has researched the making of it. The point of it is to show how the apparent near death experiences of the six interviewees are incredibly similar. And they are, and it is quite compelling.
There's a caption at the beginning that says these are six of thousands of interviews Moody has conducted. So the skeptic obviously thinks, how many of the thousands of others said, "I had no experience at all. Just a blackness"?
Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had researched Moody's methods.
jonronson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2006, 03:01 AM   #2
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by jonronson View Post
So the skeptic obviously thinks, how many of the thousands of others said, "I had no experience at all. Just a blackness"?
Or, perhaps more to the point, how many reported something, but not something sufficiently similar to what was reported by other interviewees?

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2006, 04:54 AM   #3
Garrette
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jonronson View Post
Hi. I'm just watching Raymond Moody's video, Life After Life. I was wondering if anyone has researched the making of it. The point of it is to show how the apparent near death experiences of the six interviewees are incredibly similar. And they are, and it is quite compelling.
There's a caption at the beginning that says these are six of thousands of interviews Moody has conducted. So the skeptic obviously thinks, how many of the thousands of others said, "I had no experience at all. Just a blackness"?
It's an excellent question. The File Drawer Effect is a problem in a lot of parapsychology. Research not in support of the preferred conclusion is set aside while research in support is paraded for the world. I imagine there are many who had no experience at all, many who had experiences not really similar to the six, and many who had similar experience.

Originally Posted by jonronson
Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had researched Moody's methods.
I have not, but I suspect he does not address the alternate explanations which have been found in medicine, e.g. that the same experience is common to people using some drugs, etc.
Old 11th October 2006, 11:33 AM   #4
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Location: Between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge
Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
I have not, but I suspect he does not address the alternate explanations which have been found in medicine, e.g. that the same experience is common to people using some drugs, etc.
Not to mention military pilots who are subjected to high G blackouts in centrifuge training.

It seems that the "tunnel of light", euphoria, dreamlike images of people and places etc. are all common symptoms of depriving the brain of oxygen for a brief period.

Steven
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2006, 12:37 PM   #5
walthrup48
Graduate Poster

There's an article (excerpt) on this very topic which may be of interest in the latest issue of New Scientist magazine.

(And the article on mass hysteria looks interesting too.)

Last edited by walthrup48; 12th October 2006 at 12:39 PM.
walthrup48 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

JREF Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal