JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Tags gravy , kevin ryan , mark roberts , underwriters laboratories

Old 3rd May 2007, 03:19 PM   #1
pomeroo
Banned

Mark Embarrasses Kevin Ryan

Mark's smackdown of the cowardly fraud Kevin Ryan deserves to be more widely circulated. Notice how the morons pay no attention whatever to the beating their hero is getting.

http://911blogger.com/node/8038?page=1
pomeroo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2007, 03:24 PM   #2
The Doc
Curing Stupidity

I've got this one bookmarked

Kevin doesn't know what to do.

Creator - "Screw 9/11 Mysteries"
http://video.google.com.au/videoplay...24912447824934
The Doc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2007, 03:31 PM   #3
Civilized Worm
The Ayatollah of Rock and Rolla

Quote:
Popular Mechanics’ poor editorial practices and weak understanding of conformance testing are not the only reasons behind the false “UL does not certify structural steel” statement, however. UL made a similar statement themselves, shortly after firing me for speaking out and asking for clarification. They denied their own responsibility even after admitting publicly that their testing was related to the WTC tower’s performance. To make matters worse, UL exacerbated this denial with the additional claim that there was “no evidence” that any firm tested the steel.

I love that, not only are PM lying, UL are lying about what they do!

Quote:
I often wonder what UL might have said if 3,000 people had died from water contamination on 9/11/01. If it had been clear that the water testing division I managed was responsible for the compliance testing required to avoid such a catastrophe, it’s likely that UL and PM would have said something like ”UL does not test water”.

It's more likely they would have said "UL's water tester is a useless moron".

Last edited by Civilized Worm; 3rd May 2007 at 03:33 PM.
Civilized Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2007, 03:35 PM   #4
~enigma~
Banned

You guys just wait till LashL posts the URLs to the latest docs from the lawsuit. waterboys own legal team admits that they have no facts yet they persist in this frivolous lawsuit. Sorry Mark but aquaman really is an easy target but the practice is good
~enigma~ is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2007, 03:35 PM   #5
The Doc
Curing Stupidity

Testing and certifying are completely unrelated. It's the same with molten metal and molten steel. Conspiracists often mix the two up mid sentence.

"UL claims they do not certify steel. However, in 2004 they tested the steel"
"Molten Steel cannot be found at ground zero. However, molten metal was found".

Annoying...

Creator - "Screw 9/11 Mysteries"
http://video.google.com.au/videoplay...24912447824934
The Doc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2007, 03:40 PM   #6
Pardalis
Banned

Sometimes it's an inconvenience being French. I read the thread title too quickly and read: "Mark Embrasse Kevin Ryan" (Mark kisses Kevin Ryan)

Pardalis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2007, 03:42 PM   #7
Undesired Walrus
Penultimate Amazing

Eh? All I get is a transcript from Kevin Ryan. Is there supposed to be a video?
Undesired Walrus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2007, 03:47 PM   #8
Kent1
Graduate Poster

Well done Mark!!
Kent1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2007, 03:49 PM   #9
pomeroo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardalis View Post
Sometimes it's an inconvenience being French. I read the thread title too quickly and read: "Mark Embrasse Kevin Ryan" (Mark kisses Kevin Ryan)

http://forums.randi.org/imagehosting...aa11a65054.gif

This is one of those times when I start out with something I want to say and then I just decide not to say it.
pomeroo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2007, 04:00 PM   #10
Dog Town
NO! I'm not on Facebook! And I don't have an Iphone charger, you can use!

Originally Posted by The Doc View Post
Testing and certifying are completely unrelated. It's the same with molten metal and molten steel. Conspiracists often mix the two up mid sentence.

"UL claims they do not certify steel. However, in 2004 they tested the steel"
"Molten Steel cannot be found at ground zero. However, molten metal was found".

Annoying...
When confronted, they start crying, about us being sticklers on semantics! Yes, because words have meanings, for a reason. Reasons they will never understand.
"Yes. I often wonder why it is that the nutjobs, who clearly think they're among a tiny handful of people who "get it", are wholly incapable of communicating effectively enough so that other people can understand them and "get it", too."
Gee Mack, JREF 5/15/09
Dog Town is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2007, 04:37 PM   #11
Kent1
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Dog Town View Post
When confronted, they start crying, about us being sticklers on semantics! Yes, because words have meanings, for a reason. Reasons they will never understand.
I saw this in Ryan's paper
“In fact, Underwriter Laboratories does not certify structural steel.”

Additionally UL's own Tom Chapin, the Chemist and manager of their Fire Protection division, with whom I was in contact, admitted to UL's involvment in testing steel for the WTC in a letter to the New York Times editor published April 15, 2002. In this letter, Chapin said "The World Trade Center stood for almost an hour after withstanding conditions well beyond those experienced in any typical fire. In that time, thousands of people escaped with their lives. ASTM E-119 and UL's testing procedures helped make that possible." [4]

However in Ryan's other paper he makes it clear that Tom Chapin does not agree with Ryan, and in fact agrees with David Dunbar.
http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:...lnk&cd=4&gl=us

This response was copied to several UL executives, including Tom Chapin, the manager of UL’s Fire Protection division. Chapin reminded me that UL was the “leader in fire research testing,” but he clearly did not want to make any commitments on the issue. He talked about the floor assemblies, how these had not been UL tested, and he made the misleading claim that UL does not certify structural steel.

So even Tom has clearly told Ryan he is wrong. And Ryan KNOWS THIS!

Last edited by Kent1; 3rd May 2007 at 04:42 PM.
Kent1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2007, 04:59 PM   #12
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Hmmm, I wonder if it's a coincidence that both Gravy's and Ref's posts to the blog have been set so they don't appear unless you open them.....

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2007, 05:08 PM   #13
LashL
Goddess of Legaltainment™
Administrator

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Hmmm, I wonder if it's a coincidence that both Gravy's and Ref's posts to the blog have been set so they don't appear unless you open them.....
Ron's posts always used to always show up that way, too, before he was banned there.
LashL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2007, 06:17 PM   #14
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
It looks like they have some kind of moderation system in place where other members can give a comment a +1 or -1, which adds up. A comment with a score below a certain number gets collapsed automatically.

No surprise that debunkers would be voted down by truthers on a truther website.
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2007, 06:23 PM   #15
Bobert
Government Loyalist

Originally Posted by LashL View Post
Ron's posts always used to always show up that way, too, before he was banned there.
What is with that point system?
Do you get automatically banned after you have accumulated enough minus points?
Bobert is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2007, 06:29 PM   #16
pomeroo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobert View Post

I really couldn't say. It is, I guess, possible that eventually your negatives get you booted. Mine must have been spectacular.

The lunatic Jenny Sparks imagines that I show up in various disguises to vote down the liars, but, frankly, I have never cast any votes at all. What would be the point?
Old 3rd May 2007, 06:35 PM   #17
~enigma~
Banned

Originally Posted by pomeroo View Post
I really couldn't say. It is, I guess, possible that eventually your negatives get you booted. Mine must have been spectacular.

The lunatic Jenny Sparks imagines that I show up in various disguises to vote down the liars, but, frankly, I have never cast any votes at all. What would be the point?
The point system sounds strangely like a government op to track people like dig does...damn PCT idiots
~enigma~ is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2007, 06:39 PM   #18
Unsecured Coins
Hoku-maniac

you know who else uses a point system? COLLEGE FOOTBALL.

omg!!
"Oh CRAP... DQ!!" - Ol' Hokey, yet again
Unsecured Coins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2007, 06:40 PM   #19
Quad4_72
AI-EE-YAH!

Honestly, Kevin Ryan embarrasses himself. Mark only amplifies it.
Looks like the one on top has a magazine, thus needs less reloading. Also, the muzzle shroud makes it less likely for a spree killer to burn his hands. The pistol grip makes it more comfortable for the spree killer to shoot. thaiboxerken
Quad4_72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2007, 06:41 PM   #20
LashL
Administrator

Originally Posted by Bobert View Post
It appears as though that might be the case from some of the comments I've read there, but I do not know. They are troofers, so they might also have some kind of sooper sekrit voting system about banning people after they reach X number of negative points, for all I know. I have never cared enough about that blog to look into its inner workings.

ETA: Apparently, yes, the negative votes does have to do with being banned there:

Originally Posted by troofer blog
Update (12/08/2006): As of 11/10/2006 comment moderation is no longer in the hands of team members of this site, but rather in the hands of the community. Users should use the vote up/down widget to vote down comments which go against the basic guidelines listed above. Users who maintain an extreme case of continued low rated comments may have their commenting abilities removed.
In other words, rather than have legitimate moderation, they allow the lunatics to run the asylum.

Last edited by LashL; 3rd May 2007 at 06:49 PM.
LashL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2007, 06:42 PM   #21
Unsecured Coins
Hoku-maniac

that's just bad research, Lash!
"Oh CRAP... DQ!!" - Ol' Hokey, yet again
Unsecured Coins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2007, 06:46 PM   #22
Bobert
Government Loyalist

It appears as though that might be the case from some of the comments I've read there, but I do not know. They are troofers, so they might also have some kind of sooper sekrit voting system about banning people after they reach X number of negative points, for all I know.

ETA: Apparently, yes, the negative votes does have to do with being banned there:

In other words, rather than have legitimate moderation, they allow the lunatics to run the asylum.
WOW!
Amazing!
Bobert is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2007, 06:48 PM   #23
LashL
Administrator

Originally Posted by Unsecured Coins View Post
that's just bad research, Lash!

Yeah, as soon as I posted that, I figured I should actually look into it so I did (See my edit above)

Last edited by LashL; 3rd May 2007 at 06:54 PM. Reason: to add the part before the parenthetical.
Old 3rd May 2007, 09:51 PM   #24
Totovader
Game Warden

It appears as though that might be the case from some of the comments I've read there, but I do not know. They are troofers, so they might also have some kind of sooper sekrit voting system about banning people after they reach X number of negative points, for all I know. I have never cared enough about that blog to look into its inner workings.

[sarcasm]I've always thought that true scientific debate of such paramount importance should be more like the TV show Survivor...[sarcasm]

Totovader's 9/11 Conspiracy Challenge Still unanswered!
Totovader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2007, 10:26 PM   #25
Minadin
Hiding his Head in the Sane

Kevin Ryan is, apparently, an idiot.

UL doesn't certify steel members. It certifies fireproofing systems for steel members and assemblies. I have a 4,000 page UL Fire Resistance Directory sitting in my office right now, and in no place in that directory am I able to look up what the innate fire resistance is of a W14x48 steel beam, or a 7K20 steel bar joist, or any other piece of structure. What I can find out is how those members will perform once certain types of fire resisting material is applied to them under a certain specification.

The UL doesn't test steel that is used in construction. How could they? The very nature of the tests are destructive - you're trying to determine at what point the steel fails - and afterwards the pieces are unusable. At the very most, they could take samples of steel members from every building project ever and perform tests on them to cover the whole group, but this would be highly uneconomical, and frankly, stupid. We already know how raw steel will act in a fire condition.

The system they actually use - wherein they do much fewer tests and then publish the resuslts for everyone - is better by far. It allows me to specifically tell a contractor that the fireproofing needs to meet UL Certification #XYZ - which he can look up easily - and everyone knows what to expect. I don't have to draw a detail or perform expensive tests, and he doesn't have to waste a bunch of time and money trying to figure out exactly what I want and order custom parts.

I find it difficult to imagine that in his own experience at the UL, Mr. Ryan didn't experience a similar process to this. As far as I've been able to tell, the scientists and engineers who work there are pretty intelligent people. Was Water-Boy testing the water specifically to test the water? Was he monitoring the potable water supply to greater Chicago or something? Or, was he testing water to determine the effectiveness of various filtration systems designed to purify water under various conditions, so they could make a similar directory to the one that I use, which would tell people what to expect for individual filter assemblies?

If it's the latter, which I find much more plausible despite my lack of knowledge of UL's water-testing division, I can't help but consider that he's either being deliberately ignorant, obtuse, or outright lying.

Support the democratic freedom of the people of Iran.
Minadin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2007, 10:35 PM   #26
~enigma~
Banned

Originally Posted by Minadin View Post
Kevin Ryan is, apparently, an idiot.
Did you really want to leave the word between the commas out?
Old 3rd May 2007, 10:49 PM   #27
Minadin
Hiding his Head in the Sane

To be honest, I considered it both ways, and I decided to leave it in, because I can't state without equivocation that he is an idiot, and not merely ignorant or deceitful. He does, after all, have an advanced degree in a valid scientific field. Since I can't do that, it's merely my opinion, and I wanted to make certain that I noted it as such so as to not take anything away from the fact-ful-ness of the rest of my post (minus the obivious speculation on my part at the end).

Support the democratic freedom of the people of Iran.
Minadin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2007, 10:55 PM   #28
JamesB
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Minadin View Post
To be honest, I considered it both ways, and I decided to leave it in, because I can't state without equivocation that he is an idiot, and not merely ignorant or deceitful. He does, after all, have an advanced degree in a valid scientific field. Since I can't do that, it's merely my opinion, and I wanted to make certain that I noted it as such so as to not take anything away from the fact-ful-ness of the rest of my post (minus the obivious speculation on my part at the end).
He does not have an advanced degree, he just has a BS in chemistry, from some university which he never mentions.
I said lots of things in NPH that I would not say today and that I did not repeat in NPHR, where I specifically corrected at least some of the errors I had made in that earlier book, written 5 years ago.
-David Ray Griffin-
JamesB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2007, 11:14 PM   #29
Furcifer
miscreant

Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
... he just has a BS in chemistry, from some university which he never mentions.
did you really mean to leave out the "c" in BSc
Furcifer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2007, 11:17 PM   #30
~enigma~
Banned

Originally Posted by 3bodyproblem View Post
did you really mean to leave out the "c" in BSc
Yes...why did you think it was wrong?
Old 3rd May 2007, 11:23 PM   #31
Furcifer
miscreant

lol, no, from what i gather the c was withheld appropriately
Furcifer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2007, 11:25 PM   #32
~enigma~
Banned

Originally Posted by 3bodyproblem View Post
lol, no, from what i gather the c was withheld appropriately
Would be more apt in this case if waterboy had a PhD which really would mean piled higher and deeper
Old 3rd May 2007, 11:50 PM   #33
ref
Master Poster

Originally Posted by 9/11 Blogger
Users should use the vote up/down widget to vote down comments which go against the basic guidelines listed above.
Which is funny, because the rules clearly state:
  • Do not post entries that are abusive, offensive, contain profane or racist material, or resort to attacking other users
  • Post useful information and commentary, not ad-hominem attacks or insults
  • Try to respect others who may have differing opinions, posts which are purely abusive will be removed
I broke no rules, as far as I know. Instead, all those above mentioned rules were constantly broken when I was attacked and voted into minus depths. Especially that last rule amuses me. What a load of total BS. That rule does not apply at all.

ETA: And Mark did a great job there, as I have mentioned before

Conspiracy theories abound and I believe firmly that all of them are without merit. - Chief Daniel Nigro

Last edited by ref; 3rd May 2007 at 11:54 PM.
ref is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2007, 11:56 PM   #34
JamesB
Master Poster

Originally Posted by ref View Post
  • Do not post entries that are abusive, offensive, contain profane or racist material, or resort to attacking other users
  • Try to respect others who may have differing opinions, posts which are purely abusive will be removed
I broke no rules, as far as I know. Instead, all those above mentioned rules were constantly broken when I was attacked and voted into minus depths. Especially that last rule amuses me. What a load of total BS. That rule does not apply at all.

The voting thing on 911 blogger is pretty silly. You can post a news article, entirely without comment, that happens to contradict one of their theories and the next thing you know you will have a -8 vote.
I said lots of things in NPH that I would not say today and that I did not repeat in NPHR, where I specifically corrected at least some of the errors I had made in that earlier book, written 5 years ago.
-David Ray Griffin-
JamesB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2007, 12:02 AM   #35
~enigma~
Banned

Originally Posted by ref View Post

You did break #2. The information you posted wasn't useful because it proves their side wrong
Old 4th May 2007, 12:25 AM   #36
ref
Master Poster

Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
The voting thing on 911 blogger is pretty silly. You can post a news article, entirely without comment, that happens to contradict one of their theories and the next thing you know you will have a -8 vote.
It's silly by all means. Imagine a group of "official theory" supporters flooding that site. In no time all the truthers would be banned by them. Then it would be an official story supporting site. Have they ever considered that?

Conspiracy theories abound and I believe firmly that all of them are without merit. - Chief Daniel Nigro
ref is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2007, 01:58 AM   #37
skepticalcriticalguy
Graduate Poster

Where is the smackdown? Did they debate?
skepticalcriticalguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2007, 04:08 AM   #38
Aggs
Student

Tsk tsk, you guys totally missed the smackdown that was given by Col. Jenny Sparks:

"What the hell time is it where you're at? And you're tag teaming Kevin not only in the middle of the bloody night, but HOURS after his posts? Possibly to avoid a REAL arguments?"

Sheesh, I was a fan of Gravy, but if he's not going to make his posts during normal business hours.....
Aggs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2007, 04:11 AM   #39
ref
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Aggs View Post
Tsk tsk, you guys totally missed the smackdown that was given by Col. Jenny Sparks:

"What the hell time is it where you're at? And you're tag teaming Kevin not only in the middle of the bloody night, but HOURS after his posts? Possibly to avoid a REAL arguments?"

Sheesh, I was a fan of Gravy, but if he's not going to make his posts during normal business hours.....
Yes, you can forget all the debunking by Gravy, because he posts in late/early hours of the day

Jenny has difficulty understanding that where I live, time is 7 hours ahead of US eastern time and 10 hours ahead of west coast.

Old 7th May 2007, 04:22 AM   #40
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader

Originally Posted by skepticalcriticalguy View Post
Where is the smackdown? Did they debate?
SCG - do you have a mouse on your computer, or are you still using that old Coleco Speak-N-Spell?

This is the second thread I've looked at in five minutes where you don't seem to be able to click on a link in an earlier post to see some information. Or are you one of those, "I don't have time to click my mouse, I'm too busy finding the truth" guys?

Don't you wish someone had slapped baby Hitler really really hard? [i] Dr. Buzzo 02/13 [i]
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

JREF Forum » General Topics » Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories