JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Old 19th July 2007, 12:02 AM   #1
SirPhilip
Bittersweet Symphony

Amma The Pus Sucking Goddess

You thought that title was just misanthropy on my part, didn't you. Well, it wasn't - for your amusement. Have to say, I'm surprised India jumped on the "power hugs" market before the U.S.

Wait, nevermind.

"There are social darwinism principles to uphold here."
- Me

Last edited by SirPhilip; 19th July 2007 at 12:04 AM.
SirPhilip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2007, 02:34 AM   #2
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness

Someone praised her highly on another forum I frequent, he was most upset when some (like me) said it was creepy.

I still think she's creepy. and unhygenic.
Silly Green Monkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2007, 03:59 AM   #3
Liquid_Grace
Scholar

Ew. Just Ew.

Ew.

Cheers,
Grace
Liquid_Grace is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2007, 04:19 AM   #4
SirPhilip
Bittersweet Symphony

Originally Posted by Silly Green Monkey View Post
Someone praised her highly on another forum I frequent, he was most upset when some (like me) said it was creepy.I still think she's creepy. and unhygenic.
To say the least...

"I'll never regret that trip. Amma was just as sweet, plump and full of light as she is described in this article. Being swept into her embrace, cradled and crooned over for that too-short, and yet seemingly eternal, span was one of the major spiritual experiences of my life. It is indeed impossible to describe, except perhaps in these words: for those few moments I was filled and suffused with a feeling I seem to remember only from infancy - that of being held, loved and accepted completely, with no reservation, expectations, or requirements. It was like a blast of absolute light, and like a warm, soft, dark blanket, close and toasty. It was quite simply bliss."

Who said prostitution couldn't be wholesome - and there's nothing quite like embracing a rotund woman with a socially reinforced, shining grandiosity. Can't imagine what those who took a massive bong hit beforehand went though. For those not involved with an actual goddess like Jessica Alba and unfortunate enough to live in India, a female deity (that I'll only guess why) decided to transmigrate into an inhygenic, overweight Indian woman who sucks pus from peasants feet to affirm her divine status, must seem like crumbs from nature's table.

As usual, Salon readers descended on it with aptness:

"In fact, I would go so far as to say that it isn't just difficult, it is impossible. We, burdened animals that we are, cannot separate the physical from the symbolic. Hugging a person for what we think they represent is precisely the same as killing a person for what we think they represent. The physical world is a metaphor, and the symbolic world forever reappears in physical form. We must become enraged at people for what they think for the same reason that we must build alliances with people for what they think. We are doomed to this inability to separate matter from meaning. We simply cannot disentangle the two."

When is there going to be a public recognition that becoming a socially reinforced demi God is easy as studying and applying child psychology to your daily activities.

"There are social darwinism principles to uphold here."
- Me
SirPhilip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2007, 04:45 PM   #5
bradhartley
New Blood

Exclamation Cult Of The Hugging Saint: New Anti-Amma Website

I've been following James Randi for awhile now, and have been wondering when he will do some investigation on Amma, frequently dubbed "the hugging saint" in the American press. She is a cult leader (with miracle stories, glossy eyed devotees and much more) operating under the cover of "humanitarian". If anyone is going to expose this psychologically damaging group, it would be a well-known skeptic like Randi.

Anyway, for folks interested in a more in depth critical look at Amma, some ex-devotees and concerned parents of devotees have put together a website at cultofthehuggingsaint.com

Please, check it out and tell everyone you know. It's a most likely futile effort at combating the fact that the Amma people have the press in their back pocket, but it's worth a shot.
bradhartley is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2007, 10:25 PM   #6
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
When her village ashram was just starting out, a local leper came in for a hug. Amma embraced him and, in her mad compassion, licked his sores and sucked the pus out of his wounds, which she then covered with sacred ash. "That changed my whole life," the swami says. "Poor or sick, it doesn't matter, she embraces them. Shingles, chicken pox, infectious diseases -- she does not get them. Only love is exchanged."
Old 8th July 2012, 09:19 AM   #7
Maya22
Thinker

Did this have something to do with a man with leprosy?
Maya22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

JREF Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy